PDA

View Full Version : Trump sets his sights on Ground Zero

Xinithian
May 19th, 2005, 12:34 AM
Quote from money.cnn.com;

Trump sets his sights on Ground Zero
The real estate mogul unveils his own plan to recreate the twin towers in lower Manhattan.
May 18, 2005: 4:20 PM EDT

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Donald Trump unveiled his plan to recreate the twin towers at Ground Zero at a press conference Wednesday, in an attempt to trump the Libeskind plan for a stand-alone Freedom Tower.

The real estate mogul said he aims to build two 111-story buildings, one foot taller than the 1360-foot buildings destroyed on Sept. 11, 2001.

The Trump plan would require scrapping the Libeskind plan for a 1,776-foot Freedom Tower, symbolizing the year of American independence, which continues to be hotly debated.

"In a nutshell, Freedom Tower should not be allowed to be built, it's not appropriate for downtown Manhattan, it's not appropriate for Manhattan, it's not appropriate for the United States and it's not appropriate for freedom," Trump said.

"The only thing good about the building, from an architectural standpoint, is the name Freedom Tower," he added.

Trump made clear that he intends to launch a promotional push to gather support for his idea of rebuilding the World Trade Center.

At today's press conference, he stood near a model of the proposed new twin towers. The model has been on display in the lobby of the developer's flagship Fifth Avenue property, Trump Tower.

Trump mentioned that he will draw attention to the proposal during this week's live airing of "The Apprentice." The model will "probably" be displayed during the broadcast, Trump said, "so the whole country can see it."

----------------------------

I like this idea WAY more than the Freedom Tower design. It is hard to picture New York without the Twin Towers, and I think that by putting them back it would make everything look much more natural. Plus, if they made this "Freedom Tower", it would upset so many foreigners because it would be pushing the American stereotype that we are the only ones with freedom and our duty is to free the rest of the world.

W-Eyed-Wanderer
May 19th, 2005, 12:47 AM
I'm not sure I like the idea of either....I'm not American so it's not really my place but still...

Don't you think having the twin towers there again would be more than a little creepy?

The Freedom Tower was an okay idea, but why not have a more practical building of offices etc. I know that the dead should be respected but that doesn't mean you have to make them a special building...a nice, tasteful tribute should be enough.

Just my two pence...

Xinithian
May 19th, 2005, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by W-Eyed-Wanderer
I'm not sure I like the idea of either....I'm not American so it's not really my place but still...

Don't you think having the twin towers there again would be more than a little creepy?

The Freedom Tower was an okay idea, but why not have a more practical building of offices etc. I know that the dead should be respected but that doesn't mean you have to make them a special building...a nice, tasteful tribute should be enough.

Just my two pence... The TT or Freedom Tower would be used as offices.

W-Eyed-Wanderer
May 19th, 2005, 01:02 AM
Ah...gotcha...well I'm still not a fan of the new Twin Towers idea, too much living in the past for my liking.

Just build a new structure and try to make progress.

Xinithian
May 19th, 2005, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by W-Eyed-Wanderer
Ah...gotcha...well I'm still not a fan of the new Twin Towers idea, too much living in the past for my liking.

Just build a new structure and try to make progress. I would say you're right, if the twin towers were an outdated design. However, they were a very good design and were very modern. I'm just feeling nostalgia of when New York used to have the Twin Towers.

LunarCat
May 19th, 2005, 01:59 AM
^ yea, i remember.....i could see them from around the area where i lived...:( and in all of the old movies.......

I never really liked the design of the Freedom Tower, it looked more 'breakable' Did they release the design of the new Twin Towers yet?

Juniper
May 19th, 2005, 02:07 AM
In my opinion, rebuilding the twin towers to be very similar to the old ones would be the way to go. They may not be a flashy reminder of freedom, but they would be a subtle monument to perserverence. It would basically say "If you knock it down, we'll build it back up".

Ngatuny
May 19th, 2005, 06:02 AM
I think the idea of the Twin Towers would be better if only for the reason pntbll stated tho I never liked them personally it is as much a landmark of NYC as the Statue of Liberty.

Azerane
May 19th, 2005, 08:46 AM
Hmm... saw that on the news a little while ago. In my opinion I think it's kinda a stupid idea to rebuild the Twin Towers, I mean sure like pntbll said it's like saying
"If you knock it down, we'll build it back up". but still, I just don't like the idea of it. Surely it just attracts more attention to terrorists who might try the same thing again, I dunno. I think they should just make the area where they were into a nice little park, serenity in the middle of the city with a nice memorial with the names of everyone who died. It just seems like they're unable to let go if they're just building them again.

LunarCat
May 19th, 2005, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Ngatuny
I think the idea of the Twin Towers would be better if only for the reason pntbll stated tho I never liked them personally it is as much a landmark of NYC as the Statue of Liberty.

the Statue of Liberty is actually in New Jersey....:p just a lyl tid bit