PDA

View Full Version : The Lion King Who's Herard The Lion King in 5.1 in the Disney Enhanced Home Theatre Mix?

Fear The Paw
May 5th, 2005, 06:13 PM
I know All of you have seen http://www.lionking.org/images/TLKTitle.gif (maybe except a few). However, have you heard in 5.1 the Disney's Enhanced Home Theatre Mix on the Second Edition? If you haven?t you are not experiencing the fullness & the unforgettable experience of the great Audio Mix in 5.1.
So whats your Take?

My Favorite parts in Surround Sound are the
1.The Circle of Life Presentation
2.The Stampeede (Very Sad)
3.Hakuna Matata - Lifting up the log part (make you cringe)
4.Can You Feel the Love Tonight (The Love in the air & the Beauty)

nathalie
May 5th, 2005, 06:25 PM
We have 5.1, 2.0 and DTS.

And we can also just watch that special Disney sound thing.

Ngatuny
May 5th, 2005, 08:27 PM
I have a 5.1 home theater in my house.

King Simba
May 5th, 2005, 08:34 PM
I think we have a 4.1 Surround Sound although I'm not too sure. We have far too many TV's in our house, in different rooms. :p :hmm:

TakaTiger
May 5th, 2005, 08:39 PM
5.1 in my room for me :D

Shatara
May 5th, 2005, 09:20 PM
I got an optical cable for my PS2 a lil back...dunno if I've tried watchin TLK with the uber-sound yet tho...>.>

Fear The Paw
May 5th, 2005, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Shatara
I got an optical cable for my PS2 a lil back...dunno if I've tried watchin TLK with the uber-sound yet tho...>.>

I have one for my Xbox the games are seet. But watching TLK is great on there. Useing the optical cable is more acurate in the surround sound field testing i've done, that any of the other cables that are used.
=D

lolopimp
May 6th, 2005, 01:04 AM
I've heard it and t sounds awesome. There wasn't a moment in the movie were you couldn't hear ONE speaker. In the Circle of Life sequence, when you see Zazu for the first time flying the whole soundfield explodes. Drums give the Sub a real workout and the African chorus surround you. The stampede is also great, you hear the wildebeest running from one speaker to another and Can You Feel The Love Tonigh will never sound better. All the songs will give your home thater a workout and the last third of the film never stays quiet.

soulImbibe
May 6th, 2005, 06:46 AM
7.2 here. Yeah baby, yeah!
1240 watts if needed :cool:

Removed dead link

I'll say that the Disney Home Theater mix is quite a bit better than the regular 5.1 Dolby mix on the DVD. However, the stereo PCM mix on the Lion King laserdisc is also very powerful, and the surround is much better with ProLogic IIx than the original ProLogic.

Edit: I finally hit 100 posts!

Prince Simba
May 6th, 2005, 01:10 PM
The whole thing :p

Surround sound increases every bit of immersion. It's like being there. *wants to hack up a stereo for 100.1 surround-ation sound*

Simba_TLK
May 6th, 2005, 01:19 PM
ive got 5.1 system on my computer here :cheese:

seen TLK using both Dolby Digital and DTS, and both are great :D

W-Eyed-Wanderer
May 6th, 2005, 01:56 PM
I just have 2.0....no subwoofer. It's still pretty good though, the stampede etc is great...and a personal favourite of mine is the little bit where Simba is running across the desert, the big crash at the start of that and the African chorus sounds great!

I always used to use the PS2 to play DVDs but I got a proper Samsung DVD player at Christmas and it made a huge difference to picture quality. Trust me, if you can avoid using the PS2 then do so, the colours....the textures...I wanna go watch it now!
:lol:

imported_Rafiki
May 6th, 2005, 02:04 PM
Watched it in the Home Theatre Mix and it's amazing. I love the stampede but my favourite scene is the Circle of Life. It sounds like you were one of the animals heading to Pride Rock.

Mabatu
May 6th, 2005, 02:04 PM
I reckon if you have a really good sound system, it can really change the way you feel about a movie. I have 5.1 THX certified speakers on my computer and a THX certified soundcard (which cost me a lot but i'm really happy with them), and movies (especially TLK) sound fantastic, and it really changes the experience. The Circle of Life in DTS is so powerful :cheese:

I've watched movies on my computer before, and then gone and watched them on a normal stereo system, and they are usually nowhere near as involving when you don't have good sound. Eg. the nightclub scene in Collateral was absolutely great with good sound, but on normal speakers it really seems nothing special. :ayecapn:

Fear The Paw
May 6th, 2005, 04:25 PM
Some of you have been useing the

[i]DTS[/B]
But for your information is is not DTS Track on The Lion King Second Edition, or the Laser Disc eather. There is one one Type of format on that DVD, which is the Dolby Digital, there is no DTS on that DVD.
It's all Dolby Digital, the standard mix in Dolby Digital, and the Enhanced Home theatre Mix that usese the Dolby Digital format.

lolopimp
May 6th, 2005, 04:50 PM
To Fear The Paw:

The United States Lion King DVD came with an Enhaced Home Theater Mix (Dolby Digital) but it was only for Region 1. All of the European LK releases came with a DTS track which I still don't understand why it wasn't included in the U.S release.

imported_Rafiki
May 6th, 2005, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by Fear The Paw
Some of you have been useing the

But for your information is is not DTS Track on The Lion King Second Edition, or the Laser Disc eather. There is one one Type of format on that DVD, which is the Dolby Digital, there is no DTS on that DVD.
It's all Dolby Digital, the standard mix in Dolby Digital, and the Enhanced Home theatre Mix that usese the Dolby Digital format.

The European edition has a DTS track...

Edit: Sorry, lolopimp, I guess we posted at the same time...
:cheese:

W-Eyed-Wanderer
May 6th, 2005, 09:55 PM
Whats this 'Disney Home Theatre Mix' thing?

As far as I can recall the European DVD only has two mixes - the standard version and the enhanced IMAX version.

Anyone care to clarify the situation?

Simba '04
May 6th, 2005, 10:55 PM
I have a $550 1000 watt 6.1 home surround system running off 2mm thick high definition fiber optic cables and Ultra high performance speaker wires that are really thick! also my 10" sub has a high defintion sub wire going to it. My dvd player is a High Definition Sony Progressive Scan player, I spare no expense when it comes to my surround sound in my room :cheese:

Darkslash
May 6th, 2005, 11:10 PM
Wow, you all have nothin' compared to my sound system...

Right below the TV screen I have two "integrated" 5"x3" pounding speakers, attached right to the TV plastic! They match right in. 2.0 surround sound! Tell ya what, it rocks the house.

/sarcam so thick ya need a knife

lolopimp
May 7th, 2005, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by W-Eyed-Wanderer
Whats this 'Disney Home Theatre Mix' thing?

As far as I can recall the European DVD only has two mixes - the standard version and the enhanced IMAX version.

Anyone care to clarify the situation?

It's just re-mixed 5.1 track of the original mix. It's far more spacious, dynamic, and delivers great bass. This track was only included for Region 1 releases (US and Canada.) It's also another name for a dolby digital track made by Disney. I still wanna hear the movie in DTS though to hear the differences.....

Sombolia
May 7th, 2005, 02:29 AM
2.1 :P

Simba '04
May 8th, 2005, 09:38 PM
sweetness :cheese: I found out why my stereo kept having static in it and my tv was messing up, it was my stupid surger protector, so I bought a $50 one today that is made for stereos and I am watching TLK with the special 5.1 right now and it is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just getting to hear the extra special effects is incredible! You have to have a surround sound to get the full effect of it, I had watched TLK plenty of times on my normal tv but now with my new stereo it is TRULY AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!

starionwolf
May 9th, 2005, 03:49 AM
I haven't had a chance to listen to the Enhanced Home Theater mix on my 5.1 system yet. Apparently, the EHT mix is supposed to have improved bass, and surround sound.

I have the Region 1 DVD of El Rey Le?n. The DVD includes two English DTS tracks: the Enhanced Theatrical Mix and the original 5.1 track. The Spanish EHT and orignial tracks are in 5.1 Dolby Digital.

The Digital Theater Systems (DTS) track sounds louder than the Dolby Digital 5.1 track on my English and Fran?ais Region 1 disc. I remember reading somewhere that the DTS audio is recorded / or encoded at a higher volume.

Bye

soulImbibe
May 9th, 2005, 06:05 AM
I remember reading somewhere that the DTS audio is recorded / or encoded at a higher volume.

In some cases this is true, and in some cases the DTS track is made from a different master track from the Dolby version. Dolby also implements dialog normalization which will sometimes cap the maximum output during intense scenes. It's not uncommon for the DTS option to sound more impressive than the Dolby option--one particularly good example is the Jurassic Park DVD.

Fear The Paw
May 9th, 2005, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by SoulImbibe
In some cases this is true, and in some cases the DTS track is made from a different master track from the Dolby version. Dolby also implements dialog normalization which will sometimes cap the maximum output during intense scenes. It's not uncommon for the DTS option to sound more impressive than the Dolby option--one particularly good example is the Jurassic Park DVD.
That is true

starionwolf
May 10th, 2005, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by SoulImbibe
However, the stereo PCM mix on the Lion King laserdisc is also very powerful, and the surround is much better with ProLogic IIx than the original ProLogic.

Edit: I finally hit 100 posts!

Nice setup SoulImbibe.

Wait, the laserdisc has PCM tracks? I didn't know that. I know that the CLV and CAV laserdisc has Dolby Digital, Dolby Surround, Analog left mono and Analog Right 5.1 surround. I'm confused. I know I'm missing something.

I know that I don't need an AC3 RF modulator to listen to the analog tracks.

Please help me. :D Reply here or send me a PM.

soulImbibe
May 10th, 2005, 06:52 AM
Most LaserDiscs have analog tracks and digital tracks. On the Lion King LD the digital track is stereo PCM--pure uncompressed stereo. The left analog is commentary (mono) and the right analog is AC3 RF for compressed Dolby 5.1.

If you have your player connected using analog RCA cables you can pick whether to listen to the digital tracks or the analog tracks. If you pick the digital tracks the player will convert it into analog then output the sound on both channels. If you pick the analog tracks you would hear the commentary out of your left speaker and a bunch of static out of your right speaker. Most players also include an option to only play the left or right channel so you could enjoy the commentary without the static.

If you have your player connected using a digital cable (like optical Toslink) you will only be able to listen to the digital tracks, in this case the regular stereo mix. This is the "Dolby Surround" which can be expanded to surround sound using Dolby ProLogic or ProLogic II. On LDs with a DTS digital track you would be able to get 5.1 surround sound.

AC3 RF is a nice feature but a luxury for those with money to waste on a demodulator. I certainly don't have one and don't intend to buy one for all of 5 laserdiscs I own. It does, however, allow you to get real Dolby Digital 5.1 sound on discs that support it.

Fear The Paw
May 10th, 2005, 07:07 AM
True True

starionwolf
May 10th, 2005, 07:06 PM
Thanks SoulImbibe! You know a lot about laserdiscs and players.

Now lets continue the discussion about the Disney Enhanced Theater Mix. It'll be interesting to compare the stereo audio on the laserdisc to the stereo audio on the DVD. I might try comparing the aduio if I find a laserdisc player.

I can listen to DVDs on my computer. I have two small computer speakers. They don't put out any bass. I can't listen to the DTS tracks on this computer either.