PDA

View Full Version : A TLK Game Project.

Juniper
May 3rd, 2005, 01:47 AM
There was a thread a while back about creating a TLK-style game. Well... we're doing it. (Thanks to Sombolia for the suggestion AND her ample help with the game! :D) Anyone who wants to help is welcome to, we need all the people we can get to help (especially programmers). Currently, the game is being made in various modeling programs (Maya, 3DMAX, Wings3D) and is being built in the OGRE 3D engine. (http://www.ogre3d.org). It'll be an MMORPG similar to the Lion King concept, but not actually TLK (don't want copyright issues). So far, we have some concept art, some great models (trees, rocks, and pride rock being built), and plenty of arguing :p. There's meetings every three days, the next one is Wednesday at 11:00 pm GMT, but you can reach another member of the project at any time they're on. If 11:00 pm GMT doesn't work for you, there's also a meeting at 2:00 pm GMT on Sundays.

A current deadline is next Monday; we want a 250 word minimum explanation of what you think the game is going to be like, what's realistic, and what the next deadline should be. It'd be great if every week or two, at the end of the assigned deadlines (a 3D artist may have two weeks to make three tree models or something like that). Also, a programming team leader is still needed, so the first person to claim the role gets it.

Like I said, anyone who wants to help is welcome to. Just remember, saying you'll help is great, but you have to back that up with actions. While any help is needed, those who are willing to help consistently and meet deadlines are very much preferred.

If you need any more information, go to http://majilisi.kingofpriderock.com/index.php?showtopic=143 or the game forum itself on the Majilisi. The game forum is pretty bare unless you have access to the hidden developers subforum, which you get by helping with the project.

Sign up to help by contacting an admin at the forum or talking to anyone involved.

Sombolia
May 4th, 2005, 02:50 AM
Most of this is news to me :p *really needs to keep up with these meetings* --> anywho, since I'm already helping, there's not much for me to say :p Except..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v644/sombolia/iwantyou.bmp
I want YOU to program our game

:nukawha:

TakaTiger
May 4th, 2005, 11:43 AM
i wish i could help, but the only comps i can use are crappy, and i dun know nothing about programing =\

Juniper
May 4th, 2005, 07:36 PM
Help with 3D modeling :D

www.wings3d.com is a good free 3D modeler =D

Shadow
May 4th, 2005, 08:28 PM
you know am in already bro =D

Aurelian
May 4th, 2005, 09:02 PM
I wish I could help out. I don't have any programming skills, but maybe I could be a tester or somthing.:cheese:

unregistered user
May 6th, 2005, 11:11 AM
^ me and Roquivo be
Tester :p
*hi Five*

unregistered user
May 8th, 2005, 09:04 PM
cool, you're doing a TLK game?:o We're doing one too! I can do something for you guys if you need:p

Juniper
May 8th, 2005, 10:05 PM
We need a programmer, if you're interested. Right now we need to work on the very basics and I don't know much about it.

Sombolia
May 9th, 2005, 05:06 AM
^ Niether do I.. I know a little, but not enough :Ooo: Me thinks, this is good practice for future career in the business though :p :nukasm:

Juniper
May 20th, 2005, 02:39 AM
We need someone to handle texturing, I'm bogged down with just the models and research, can't handle the texturing too.

SimbaLKD
May 20th, 2005, 03:04 AM
Originally posted by pntbll248
We need a programmer, if you're interested. Right now we need to work on the very basics and I don't know much about it.

yes talk to me if your intrested.. c++ is a must!!

:ayecapn: :bleen:

unregistered user
May 20th, 2005, 03:51 AM
I got Flash......but I don't know if that's on the same boat for you?

SimbaLKD
May 20th, 2005, 10:53 AM
can you code flash well? :hmm:

Sombolia
May 21st, 2005, 06:32 AM
Flash? We're working on a 3D MMO, not a flash game. ;) Thanks for the offer, though!

Kovu
May 21st, 2005, 01:08 PM
It's possible to create online games using Flash, though. :bleen:
Like: "Someone keeps stealing my letters" (http://web.okaygo.co.uk/apps/letters/flashcom/). (fun stuff :lol:)
So how's the project going? (is too lazy to check the Majilisi :noogie:)

Juniper
May 22nd, 2005, 03:43 AM
Flash is still needed for some parts. At least, I know I've been using it for something. :p

@Kovu:

While I'd normally tell you to get your *** over to the majilisi and find out for yourself ( :idiot: ), I'm too lazy so I'll tell you that's it's goin' a bit slow, but started to really pick up lately.

Weee! I've got some models done =D

unregistered user
May 22nd, 2005, 03:57 AM
Originally posted by Sombolia
Flash? We're working on a 3D MMO, not a flash game. ;) Thanks for the offer, though!
It's okees....I understand.:cheese:

Originally posted by SimbaLKD
can you code flash well?
Hremmmm....no...not truly...XD. i guess the Genie shall float outta this one lol.:ayecapn:

Juniper
May 22nd, 2005, 11:44 PM
Aww, hey, don't go anywhere, we still need help with other things if you're interested.

To Anyone Who Wants to Learn 3D-Modeling

Hey, another member of the Majilisi and I will be helping to teach the basics of 3D modeling. If anyone's interested, just lemme know; no prior knowledge or programs required.

Juniper
May 26th, 2005, 01:42 AM
I have to put my involvement with the game on halt because of my legal woes right now, I'll see what's going on after my hearing next week and try to catch up.

unregistered user
June 9th, 2005, 01:45 AM
This thread should be moved to the Savannah since it's talking of a TLK game.

Juniper
June 9th, 2005, 02:18 AM
Gah, five people have told me to put it five places :p

I'd like it to be moved though, it'll get more hits somewhere else, and we need all the volunteers we can get

nafklt
June 9th, 2005, 06:38 AM
I dunno nothin' about game programming...:o

Juniper
June 10th, 2005, 02:04 AM
Then come try to learn some stuff. Modeling isn't that hard, we can teach ya :D

I'm still learning a lot and I'm having fun with it =D

Zoltan
July 9th, 2005, 09:11 PM
Guys, WE NEED 3d GRAPHIC ARTISTS . No matter if you're beginner in these programmes. There are two criterions: You must be decided and demanding .

We also need PROGRAMMERS. If you know any programmer, who would be interested in making the game, programming a completed engine, please warn them about this opportunity!

unregistered user
July 9th, 2005, 10:07 PM
Welcome to Lea Zoltan ;)

King Simba
July 9th, 2005, 10:11 PM
Yeah, I've seen him around on TLKFAA and The Majilisi a lot. Hey Zoltan. :kovusmile

Sombolia
July 10th, 2005, 01:59 AM
ZOLTAN! :D -attacks- Welcome to Lea dude =3

*cough* Yes.. we need that stuff like Zoltan said, he's working on the project too ^^;

Kovu
July 10th, 2005, 06:19 AM
I've gotten the basics of OGRE and am starting to program. :p
I just need to know how ya guys expect the game interface to be.
Some stuff i've already done:
- 1st and 3rd person camera modes, 3rd person fixed camera mode
- Freelook camera with mouse
- Basic movement (walk- W,S,A,D, hold shift- run, jump- to be added soon)
- Terrain collision (i.e.: character walks on terrain, not through it)

More stuff can be added very easily, OGRE is awesome. :cheese:
I don't mind being the only programmer (if none others can be found), i work well alone, and i know i can get this done. The only problem's that school's started for me, and my 'A' levels prelim exams are coming in 9 weeks. :confused:

Sombolia
July 10th, 2005, 06:28 AM
Awesome Kovu! :D :D :D

I'm really pleased, the project's really starting to take off... and to think, it was first a stupid musing. ^^;

Zoltan
July 12th, 2005, 02:57 PM
Hey here guys. :cheese: oh geez, we should steal some of those smilies .... :uhno: :Ooo: :D

ok, just kidding!... I'll shot them myself :evilgrin:

It's great, that the project has ya, Kovu! I've added you to the dev site's developer list.
plus I've made an account for you.

There's another programmer, FuzzyLKD, but now he has other things he must deal with, so the soonest he could be back is in one and half months.

Ah, and please give me your MSN address.

Hanshilo
July 13th, 2005, 06:08 PM
How long doi you think it will take to make this cause i like the sounds of it... soz i have no skill in computer art graphics design, and stuff like that. plus this computer is jammed with problems so, :E:die:

Juniper
July 13th, 2005, 08:21 PM
Due to the temporary unavailability of the Majilisi, which will be dealt with as soon as humanly possible, this thread can server as the Developer's Lair.

@Kovu: Great to hear :D Think we can go ahead and get some scenery models in ASAP and see how they look? They probably won't be textured, if they are, it'll be from my digital camera and the rocks in our driveway, but I figured it'd be good to give the developers something to see; you know, to make sure people know that we aren't just sitting here talking with no action being taken.

Another question: Does OGRE support sub-divisions? Kinda like poly's, but a bit different? Also, do we have to do anything to make a model solid, or does the engine to that for us?

@Hanshilo: We don't really have a time-frame set up for completion, we're just focussed on getting moving right now. It is a game though and it won't be a weekend project, it'll take months or longer; but we'd be happy to have anyone we can get :D

Unfortunately, I won't have my computer containing some models back before the end of the week, so I stayed up the last two nights redoing a lion model; it should be done by saturday evening. It's made completely of NURBS, but it's easily convertable to poly's. As a side note, do we want the lion's mouth able to move (part of the model), so that i can talk, snarl, etc... or do we want it to be solid and the mouth simulated with a texture. The current lion model I'm doing has the mouth and nose as part of the model, and it's fairly complex for a game engine, but I made sure to add the history of the mouth and nose so I can undo it easily.

Sombolia
July 13th, 2005, 11:01 PM
I was thinking, since we don't know now how long the Majilisi's gonna be down, should we set up a temporary forum in it's place? :thinks: By the looks of it the monthly fee hasn't been paid, since lkd.com is down too... :hmm:

But on-topic, looking good, pnt :D

Zoltan
July 14th, 2005, 12:27 AM
Let me answer before Kovu. :cheese:

Ogre won't decrease the poly number of our objects so we must make it lowpoly as much as we can.

Anyway I've just checked out my old X-men Rogue model. Its head is built up from 1500 faces, but I wasn't bothered by face limits that time, so I let myself to make it more detailed. So I guess that proves that we can make lion faces that can show the expressions we want, with less then 1200 polys for a head, and with more then 1800 polys for the body.:D =D < I love these smilies :Ooo: :uhno:

Prince Simba
July 16th, 2005, 03:54 PM
Guys, just thought I'd tell you that your site is down because LKD can't pay the bill at the moment.

Sombolia
July 17th, 2005, 06:48 AM
I figured that's what happened.. =/

I've set up a temporary Majilisi on proboards, and if it's okay pnt, we can use it until kopr.com comes back up.

http://majilisi.proboards50.com

I had to make the pride's sections categories instead of boards, because that was the only way to limit access. xP And the delevoper's lair is password based, so once you join, I can PM the password to you...

Whaddya think, pnt? :hehe:

Juniper
July 20th, 2005, 07:06 PM
We'll use the temporary forum provided by Sombolia for now :)

The forum should be up by this weekend, everything's being taken care of.

Zoltan
July 28th, 2005, 07:29 PM
Do anyone know here how oer where could we contact (one of) the Pride Rock's designer(s)?

Anyway the queston is : which part of the Pride Rock is the sunbathing-place located at? (we can see it in the scene, when Simba calls Nala to accompany him to the Elephant Graveyard.

Any ideas? I have two, but that's too much:Ooo:

Sombolia
July 28th, 2005, 07:36 PM
pnt - yay!

Zoltan - I didn't think the sunbathing place was on Pride Rock.. hmm. Perhaps I should watch the movie again.... it didn't look like it was on Pride Rock..

Zoltan
August 20th, 2005, 12:15 AM
I've found a bug at the sunbathing scene. While the camera follows Simba running down on the hillside, find Sarabi on the left side of the sreen. You'll see that she can teleport! :D

I dunno if there's a topic for bugs here, so if some of you know one, mention it there too :uhno:

unregistered user
August 20th, 2005, 12:53 AM
I always assumed the sun bathing area was the back of Pride Rock.

Zoltan
August 27th, 2005, 12:03 PM
Okay, it's finally placed to the side of the hill behind the rock :bleen: