PDA

View Full Version : Kind of... suggestion... thing

Prince Simba
May 1st, 2005, 10:11 PM
Not much to say, just IMO there should be a forum that's members-only... as in guests or members with less than X posts can't see. Maybe for some things like the post your pic thread, so that more people will feel comfortable posting there, knowing that no random serial killer or something can come a long and find out about them or something. I dunno... maybe it's a bad idea.

:hakuna:

Aurelian
May 1st, 2005, 11:55 PM
I can see where you are going with this. A member only forum could work. We want to avoid making people with high post counts look better then everybody else though.

Sombolia
May 2nd, 2005, 01:06 AM
yea, PS, that's a good idea.. :ayecapn: People could post more personal stuff there and the like.

Prince Simba
May 2nd, 2005, 02:55 AM
Originally posted by Roquivo
I can see where you are going with this. A member only forum could work. We want to avoid making people with high post counts look better then everybody else though.

Well, i only mentioned the post thing because somebody could just register, not post, then leave (if they knew the forum existed). we could make it like say 5-10 posts, then let them in... i didn't mean like... 100 or 200 posts :eww:

Ngatuny
May 2nd, 2005, 04:09 AM
Good Idea maybe it will be adopted.=D

W-Eyed-Wanderer
May 12th, 2005, 09:27 PM
It's a good idea....maybe you could do it by when people joined instead of post count...or a combination of the two - if someone's posting regularly let 'em in as opposed to people who just come on once in a while.

Azerane
May 14th, 2005, 05:40 AM
Hmm.. I originally thought why don't you jsut send people a PM if you want to write something personal but now I understand what you mean. I think it's quite a good idea, as you said it'd make it better because random people wouldn't be able to read more personal things.

Mizani
May 14th, 2005, 07:44 AM
Good idea. That gives us alot more privacy to:browlift:

Vidan
May 14th, 2005, 08:05 AM
We should bear in mind that everyone has control over what they post in this forum. If there's some information of a private nature that they want to share with certain members of the forum then they should contact them directly, and avoid posting it where everyone can see. Even a high post count is not evidence that a person is trustworthy, which is all the more reason not to disclose more personal information on a forum than you are comfortable with everyone knowing.

SimbaLKD
May 14th, 2005, 10:48 AM
:bleen:
yeah what he said!!

However thats really not that bad of an Idea you have there PS, Im sure we'll discuss it over and find out if it can be properly implemented.
:ayecapn:

TakaTiger
May 14th, 2005, 12:49 PM
it sounds good, but if they cant see whats goin on in the forum, they wont wanna join an empty forum :o

Prince Simba
May 14th, 2005, 03:26 PM
@Woes: I see your point, but it'd discourage just random people who have absolutely no plan on posting at all... and it'd also save us from malicious spiders.

@TakaTiger: We wouldn't use it for everything. It'd be the one place they can't see until they join and post a couple times.

And everybody else, I wasn't suggesting that if we do it by post counts it should be like... 100 or so posts. I meant 2~5 posts or something. It wouldn't look good for us to restrict members with under 50 or 100 posts. It doesn't take long to post twice, but I didn't get over 100 posts for my first couple weeks here. ;)

W-Eyed-Wanderer
May 15th, 2005, 01:44 AM
I'm still workin on that 100 posts...hey there's one more!
:D

soulImbibe
May 15th, 2005, 03:12 AM
Heh yeah it took me umm... 4 months... to reach 100 posts. I swear I don't type slow, just--selectively. :stop:

Nephilim
May 15th, 2005, 09:29 AM
So, you don't want person X to see certain posts/threads, but if person X joins, then it's fine?

Sorry, but I just don't really see the point.

Mizani
May 15th, 2005, 09:55 AM
I'm aiming for 200 posts.

Simba_TLK
May 15th, 2005, 10:10 AM
sounds like a good idea too me ;)

Originally posted by Nephilim
So, you don't want person X to see certain posts/threads, but if person X joins, then it's fine?

yeah thats always a problem, but it is better than nothing i guess...

like some forums i search up dont let me view stuff without joining, and most of the time i cant be bothered, so i dont look at it :lol:

Prince Simba
May 15th, 2005, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by Nephilim

Actually...

I don't want person X to see certain posts/threads, but if person X joins and posts a couple (maybe 3 to 5) times, then it's fine.

Most of the time, person X will be too lazy or not realize.

It doesn't really matter that much, they can still get to it if they really want to, but it'll deter the lazy & stupid ones.

starionwolf
May 16th, 2005, 06:20 AM
A semi-private forum sounds like a nice idea. It looks like some people want to post some personal messages in the member's only forum.

Yougurt
June 8th, 2005, 01:58 PM
Im in for the idea too.. And I think people should?ve posted more than 100 post to join. Think about it, if person X is in the rp for example, it doesn?t take many days to reach 100 posts..

unregistered user
June 8th, 2005, 09:55 PM
For a while I was for the idea, but I'm now against it.

Neph put it excellently.

If person X can't view certain parts, all he has to do is join and poof, he has the info anyway.

This may make people want to join just to find out what's in these posts. Or it could make people not join because they want to see what they're about to join, but can't so they leave annoyed, searching for another forum...

Hmm..

Prince Simba
June 8th, 2005, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Ravoc
For a while I was for the idea, but I'm now against it.

Neph put it excellently.

If person X can't view certain parts, all he has to do is join and poof, he has the info anyway.

This may make people want to join just to find out what's in these posts. Or it could make people not join because they want to see what they're about to join, but can't so they leave annoyed, searching for another forum...

Hmm..

Not if they didn't know it existed.

unregistered user
June 8th, 2005, 10:54 PM
Hmm.. yeah, I guess that would work. Still, all they have to do is sign up anyway. So if they are a serial killer they're gonna getcha anyway. Thus the point of having it is a bit small.