PDA

View Full Version : Theories

Nuduli
April 27th, 2011, 12:49 AM
I know it's been mentioned before that everyone's exhausted about nearly every topic out there for as long as Lea's been around. However, I myself, have actually only read in passing perhaps a small handful of them. If no one here minds, I personally, would love to read any and all theories or rumours you've come across. :)

As long as I've loved TLK I've never really been part of the discussions before. That and I never read spin-off stories either, for example, the famous "Six" stories everyone talks about.

So, just thought I'd put it out there. Plus, it'd be nice perhaps for newer members to read who just might be new to the fandom with the Blu-Ray release.

Azerane
April 27th, 2011, 10:31 AM
I think the theories used to get their own threads, but it doesn't matter :p As far as I'm aware, the biggest theories out there are:

-Who is Nala's Father?
-How did Scar get his Scar?
-Is the cub at the end of TLK Kopa?
-How did Scar befriend the hyenas?
-Who is the Father of Nuka, Vitani and Kovu?
-Where did Zira and her cronies miraculously appear from? :p

:hmm: I know there's more, but just can't think of them at the moment...

Revo
April 27th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Let's not forget the infamous SFX in the sky. :lol: I know it's perhaps not in the same category as the story related questions, but it sure is brought up a lot and is worth clarifying for any newcomers.

Gunner
May 1st, 2011, 02:34 AM
wow ive never thought about any of those things before Azerane, now i want to know XD awesome points :) my theory on scar's scar is that he saved the hyenas from a rogue lion outside of the pride lands and they became permanently endebted to him because he saved their lives. (scar befriends the hyenas) He got the scar when he defeated the lion, scar was good at the time he did this and was trying to show the hyenas that the lions were good and honorable, but spending so much time with the hyenas corrupted his mind and he became evil. i think it fits the morality of the story TLK in general, the movie is so full of practical life lessons and the lesson in my theory to scars story is watch out for who you get involved with, because it can have a huge influence on you and change you greatly. ... XD sorry i got a little bit carried away :P

Azerane
May 1st, 2011, 04:56 AM
Don't apologise for getting carried away, it's great to have some fresh perspective on these theories. And actually, I quite like that theory for how Scar got his Scar and befriended the hyenas at the same time. I've never thought of it that way. Because as much as the prideland lions are shown to dislike the hyena's in their territory (as shown from Mufasa's behaviour in the first movie) a rogue male lion is likely more of a threat to cubs and the pride's stability etc. So if the hyena's were in danger, it was possibly just a happy co-incidence that Scar befriended them in the process of driving away a rogue lion. Then possibly the hyena's sort of followed him and became attached to him in some manner.

KovuLKD
May 1st, 2011, 06:20 PM
Oh oh, i've one.
So, the question is:

Why was Kovu given a scar in TLK2 when it pretty much got ignored by everyone, except for a random giraffe?

1. To further convince Simba that he's the heir of Scar and is up to no good, he seemed to buy that but he didn't point it out explicitly.
2. To make Kovu mad enough to turn against his own pride. He certainly darted away right after getting it.
3. He looks cool with it. Fangirls would love it.

4. A bit farfetched but my favorite: it is to give his name a new meaning.
Kovu was probably named after Scar, but with his own scar now, his name simply refers to his own scar, and he no longer has anything to do with Scar. So with a new scar, he is free from the shadow of Scar.
I'm pretty sure i've mentioned this somewhere some time ago, but i felt like sharing it again. :p

Judas
May 1st, 2011, 06:25 PM
I always thought the scar on Kovu's face was rather wrongly placed in proportion to how Zira slapped him. Her paw as far as I remember ran near horizontally across his face thusly the scar should've come out differently(and would've been much cooler imho).

KovuLKD
May 1st, 2011, 06:39 PM
I always thought the scar on Kovu's face was rather wrongly placed in proportion to how Zira slapped him. Her paw as far as I remember ran near horizontally across his face thusly the scar should've come out differently(and would've been much cooler imho).

I agree with that completely.
In fact i used to pause that scene and play it frame by frame to see how a horizontal scratch resulted in a vertical scar. :p
Apparently it had to do with Kovu turning his head away at the exact same speed as Zira slashing her claws, hence the horizontal displacement was nullified leaving behind only the vertical motion, which resulted in the scar.
Which doesn't sound too logical. Maybe we could get Myth Busters to test it out. :D

Judas
May 1st, 2011, 06:41 PM
I seem to remember she hit him with quite some force. I still think the scar wouldn't have become perfectly vertical even if Kovu had turned his head in the split second the paw smacked into his face. But then this is a Disney movie.. and yea xD

Simbaspirit
May 3rd, 2011, 01:23 AM
. Maybe we could get Myth Busters to test it out. :D

that would be the best mythbusters ever.

s-tlk
May 3rd, 2011, 07:09 AM
I've also some questions:
1. How does Rafiki climb on top of Pride Rock?
2. What is the real color of Nalas eyes? They always shift from scene to scene. Some possible explanation is here: http://nala.ru/nalas_eyes.htm
3. Why doesn't Zazu tell everyone that Scar knocked him out, when he tries to fetch help? Perhaps he can't remember, or Scar told him his paw accidentally 'slipped'. xD

King Simba
May 3rd, 2011, 05:45 PM
He was the first baboon who mastered rock climbing? :lol: Otherwise I don't know.

2. What is the real color of Nalas eyes? They always shift from scene to scene. Some possible explanation is here: http://nala.ru/nalas_eyes.htm
Nala's eyes turn out to be blue in Simba's Pride too, which is most definitely wrong. And her eyes are definitely not brown like they are in the cover art for the new TLK release... xP

3. Why doesn't Zazu tell everyone that Scar knocked him out, when he tries to fetch help?
I've always wondered that too. :hmm: My guess is that Scar hit him so hard that it knocked him unconcious so he couldn't remember.

Here's another one:

How did Zira get the hole in her ear?

Nuduli
May 3rd, 2011, 05:50 PM
I also just realized Zira's the only one with an old wound unlike the rest of the Outlanders. O_o

Azerane
May 18th, 2011, 01:09 AM
3. Why doesn't Zazu tell everyone that Scar knocked him out, when he tries to fetch help? Perhaps he can't remember, or Scar told him his paw accidentally 'slipped'. xD

I don't think anyone can answer how rafiki got on top of pride rock, he's a magic monkey! As for Nala's eyes, my firm belief is that they are green and they simply do change with the light, it does make sense. To me at least :p
As for the issue with Zazu, I've always felt that he just didn't remember, he was in a panic anyway, and the force of Scar's blow probably wiped his memory of it, plus he might not have even seen Scar's paw coming for him.

As for Zira and her ear marking. It doesn't surprise me, I think it's simply a way to make her stand out more than the other outlander lionesses and in a way connect her to Scar by giving her a wound as well. Plus it probably helps make her look more evil :evilgrin: Otherwise, it's likely she got it scrapping with other outlanders, or perhaps when Scar's loyal followers were aparantly driven away at some point between the first and second movies ;)

Also, KovuLKD, your 4th theory regarding the reasoning behind Kovu's scar doesn't make any sense to me. How is being called Kovu being named after Scar? To me the acquisition of the Scar was to relate him more to Scar, which is what made Zira panic a bit I think after she did it. But in some ways I see how you're right, it makes you think of Scar when looking at it, but the fact that it's obvious how different he is and how un-Scar-like he is when he gets his scar, does seem to free him up that bit despite the association. If that makes sense...

Sombolia
May 18th, 2011, 01:24 AM
Also, KovuLKD, your 4th theory regarding the reasoning behind Kovu's scar doesn't make any sense to me. How is being called Kovu being named after Scar?

"Kovu" means "scar" in Swahili.

To me, the scar is both a permanent connection to Scar, but it's also a reminder that Kovu and Scar are pretty much nothing alike. It's... ironic

Nuduli
May 18th, 2011, 02:05 AM
While Kovu and Scar are very much nothing alike, I always wondered, was Kovu meant in some weird way of connection to be like, I dunno, Simba laying his past with Scar to rest? Or like Kovu to be something like if Scar had not gone astray? O.o Sorry if this makes no sense.

Azerane
May 18th, 2011, 03:33 AM
"Kovu" means "scar" in Swahili.

To me, the scar is both a permanent connection to Scar, but it's also a reminder that Kovu and Scar are pretty much nothing alike. It's... ironic

:woe: ugh, of course, thanks for that. I probably knew that way back in the day, but seems I'm a bit rusty on my TLK trivia these days :p

Nuduli, I understand the possibility of Kovu being a way for Simba to lay his past with Scar at rest, but I figured that happened at the end of the original TLK ;) But of course, there just so happened to be some outlanders that supported Scar and had to bring him up again ;)

Also, this doesn't have much to do with theories. But Zira was nothing of the villian that Scar was. Sure she's evil, but it was outwardly so. Whereas with Scar, because he was sarcastic and cunning (which made him very much likeable), his ability for evil seemed even more so when he did those things. Zira on the other hand is just obviously a mean and evil character. In my opinion.