PDA

View Full Version : Musical Looking for TLKoB midis

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9

Lion_King_300
November 2nd, 2005, 05:02 AM
You're welcome, it's something I had jotted down in my diary from my NYC/Europe trip but I didn't get a chance to write about yet.

In the touring production I do remember some people did gasp or show some form of amazement, but it was nothing like the response at the New Amsterdam, and from what I recall Rafiki sang extremely well in NYC, she had a crystal-clear voice and really projected the words out into your soul.

Imagine over a thousand people gasping at the same time... it truly sounded like that... that alone sends the chills down your spine.

And also the sound is overall quite better there than other theatres understandably because the show was meant to be at the New Amsterdam, I remember learning that they had installed subwoofers underneath every section of the audience in NYC and during the stampede scene you could literally feel the ground shaking and vibrating under you!

Sharifu
November 2nd, 2005, 06:53 AM
Wow... I want to see TLKoB in New York... I hope I can someday.

I've never even been to New York.

starionwolf
November 3rd, 2005, 07:26 AM
Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences with the musical show.

I missed my chance to see the Lion King on Broadway in Baltimore, MD and New York City.

I got some photos of the New Amsterdam Theatre though.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/52778632@N00/tags/lionking/

I hope I can go to New York City to watch the Broadway Show before the show stops running.

unregistered user
November 3rd, 2005, 07:38 AM
^ Great pictures, StarionWolf. :)

Lion_King_300
November 4th, 2005, 08:18 AM
I found another TLKOB news clip today that I don't think has been uncovered yet, it's an interview with one of the ensemble members of the Broadway company and how his acting experiences relate to his South African heritage, it's quite a good clip and features a lot of close-up video from the show, check it out!

TLKOB News Interview (http://www.nathanking.tv/VideoVault2.htm)

(it's the second one down on the list)

Sharifu
November 5th, 2005, 02:38 AM
Thanks for showing us your pictures starionwolf.

And thanks for that clip Tim! I always like to see new clips about TLKoB. I can't wait to see TLKoB again. :cheese:

Simbaspirit
November 12th, 2005, 06:42 AM
go here to cast fo TLKoB!!

http://disney.go.com/disneytheatrical/disneytheatrical/casting.html

have fun!!

HasiraKali
November 12th, 2005, 08:03 AM
Oh I found that clip today too. :loL: Small world. The little clips are great. :) Gopher! :lol:

And just out of curiousity, is anyone else going to the show when it comes through San Antonio next April? Just wondering if anyone wants to try to meet up or something. :)

Sharifu
November 12th, 2005, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Simbaspirit
go here to cast fo TLKoB!!

http://disney.go.com/disneytheatrical/disneytheatrical/casting.html

have fun!!

Heh, I would love to be in TLKoB... But really I don't think I can sing too well. I'm terribly shy singing in front of people. But deep down inside I would really love to sing and perform in front of people, and being in TLKoB would be so neat... I practically listen to, and sing (when no one is around) to TLKoB CD everyday. Ah well... I don't live where TLKoB plays in the same place all the time, like in New York and London. Even if I could sing well, and in front of people, I think I would be in a traveling cast, I'm not sure if I would like that. Well doing that for years anyways... I mean, I know the touring casts and been doing this for at least two years? Or almost two years? I'm not totally sure... How often do you think they see their family and friends from home? But well I think I'm more talented in drawing instead.

Originally posted by HasiraKali
Oh I found that clip today too. :loL: Small world. The little clips are great. :) Gopher! :lol:

Are you talking about that last clip Lion_King_300 posted?

Sharifu
November 12th, 2005, 01:15 PM
(Sorry about the double post, but I had to do that since these next posts are rather long)

Hmm, well today I had a few friends over. And I had fun, it?s been a while since I had any of my friends over. I was showing two of my friends today, two of my TLKoB books. (Pride Rock on Broadway and just a big thin book called The Lion King The Broadway Musical? It just mostly has pictures. I think they?re sold only for $10 at the theater gift shop) They thought a lot of the costumes were really neat and I showed them a lot of puppets that I liked in the show. My friend Tyler said that his sister bought tickets for the show here in San Jose. And I said, ?Oh and you?re not going?? And then he said, ?Well I wasn?t invited.? Then I said, ?Oh.? :confused: Since they were showing so much interest in the show now, I grabbed my dad?s laptop (since mine is having problems charging) and showed them TLKoB clip that Bahati posted a while back, about TLKoB coming to Portland. (Which if you haven?t seen already, shows a lot of ?behind the curtain? types of things.) Which even made them even show more interest then just seeing the books. (Obviously it would do that) ;) Then I showed them another clip that is a little similar, but also had some different things, a clip that Lion_King_300 posted about TLKoB in Seattle. At least my friend Tyler said he wanted to see the show now? I told him, ?Well I told you and Ashley (my other friend that was over) about TLKoB coming to San Jose last summer, and I told you how Anna (another friend of mine, who is also a member here too, Muruwa) wanted to see the show with me, and you guys didn?t seem too interested at the time. You asked me how much the prices were and then you didn?t seem to say anything else. So when the time came around to buy tickets, I didn?t even bother to ask you guys.? I told Ashley earlier in the day about going to see the show again in San Jose, I was wearing my one and only TLKoB shirt and she said she liked my shirt so that?s how that came up. I told her how my friend Eric (Vidan) wanted to get another ticket for a friend of his, but it ended up he couldn?t go. I told her I was considering asking her, because I thought she might like to go, but I just knew she wouldn?t be willing to pay the price for the seats that we got. (Second row on a Friday night, and Friday and Saturday showings are the most expensive) She asked me about much and I told her about $80 and she was like, ?Whoa!? But I told her how they were second row seats and I wanted to see the show in the best seats I could find. After seeing the show three times, I wanted to be as close to the stage as I could. I want to see the actors in their costumes and all the puppets up close. :D TLKoB is such a piece art. And also, this might be the last time I see the show, so I want good seats. (But I might be lucky enough to see the show in London this summer, but well we?ll see) And anyways, instead I asked my buddy Tim, our own member Lion_King_300 if he wanted to use that extra ticket we had. I know he lives kind of far away from San Jose, but I asked him just in case. I considered asking him first because, I know he?s a big TLKoB fan, and he?s willing to pay the normal theater prices for TLKoB tickets. The day I bought tickets for, is on his birthday (February 24, and I had no idea at the time I bought the tickets that that day was his birthday). We can hang out again (We met in Portland last September to see TLKoB together with Lea member Starlioness, it all worked out great since I was visiting my mom in Oregon during that time). And also we can go sight see in San Francisco, I thought he might like to see that city? :D To meet Lea members Vidan and Muruwa as well, since they will be seeing the show with us too, and also because I have second row seats. Tim seemed all two happy about this and quickly considered to go. (He doesn?t have to pay for a hotel, I told him he?s welcome to stay here at my place for the weekend and he?s going to fly! :wow: Yay, I?m glad and this will be so fun Tim! I can?t wait!) :) But yeah, anyways, back to my friends I was talking about that I saw today? After I showed them some clips I told them I can still see what seats are left and still available to buy from the theater for them. I also told them, ?Well it?s up to you guys, and how much you?re willing to pay?? Then they said, ?Well if it was cheaper I would go?? And I said, ?Well I mean I don?t know when TLKoB will be around this area again, and it?s in the very city we live in.? And they said, ?Well if it?s this popular it will probably be back.? But seriously I don?t know about that? I check the official Disney TLKoB site every once and in while and I haven?t seen any touring production coming around this area again. (Does anyone know how long the casts will be touring the US?) Well after they left, out of curiosity I was looking for tickets, on the same night that I would be going, and well there wasn?t really good seats for 2 seats together left, but there were some pretty good single seats left. I could have gotten two separate single seats that were only separated by a row or two, that weren?t too far from the stage and near the middle. I really wanted to get those seats for them, so I called them and I told Tyler about it, but also those seats were the most expensive ones? I felt like telling them they should just go all out and buy them, instead of getting cheaper ones, since I myself have seen the show in the Mezzanine once and it can?t compare to the emotional experience you get in the Orchestra. (I know that sounds weird but that?s how I feel, and even I think this will probably be their only chance to see it, so I say get the best seats you can) :p But I told Tyler that you aren?t going to get anything cheaper then $50... Even on a weekday, and after the fees are added. I told him whatever seat you guys are going to get, it going to be around $50 - $80. Then my friend said, ?Well, it looks like we?ll have to miss this.? And I said ?Well ok? Give me a call if change your mind.? I felt disappointed that they weren?t willing to pay that much for tickets. But oh well, it?s their loss? I wanted them to experience TLKoB but I don?t want to pay for their tickets, or part of it? It?s just too much for me. I offered to do it for my friend Anna, (Muruwa) but she showed interest in seeing the show for over a year now, back when TLKoB was playing in San Francisco. She told me she was willing to pay $50 at the most to see TLKoB, and I was willing to pay the extra $30 for her ticket, as a Christmas and Birthday gift? (It seems fair, I mean that?s like, $15 for Christmas and $15 for her Birthday, and we normally get gifts for each other during those times, I don?t usually exchange gifts too much with my other two friends that I was talking about) Well I tried, but I can?t offer to help pay for their tickets? (Not that they were asking of course) I?m already trying to save up to go to Europe next summer. It?s too bad, I wish they would go, I know they have the money, but I guess I can?t blame them? I?ve never seen a Broadway show before TLKoB, and when I first saw the prices I had no idea they were going to cost that much. But I should have told them, that the prices here for the show in San Jose were cheaper then what they were for the show in San Francisco? (Well I remember like all the Orchestra seats were $100! :gasp: And I know the show in New York costs just as much, but still I would like to see TLKoB in New York someday) Ah well, I tried? Even after all this, STM called me later, and I was telling him about the this, and he said, ?It sounds like they would only be willing to see the show if it came to Portland again.? Ha, that?s because he knows when I saw the show in Portland, Tim got seats for around $30, really incredibly cheap for Orchestra seats? But they would never travel that far? :p Seriously they wouldn?t. (And I seriously doubt TLKoB will come back to Portland anyways. The shows that will play in California, will always cost more. Pretty much everything costs more in California)

Sharifu
November 12th, 2005, 01:17 PM
(Sorry about the double posting again, still too long...) :p

Anyways, that was a extremely long story to post about but I just felt like talking about it. :p (Hey it?s about TLKoB) ;) Even before we started talking about TLKoB, we went out to eat and when we came home, Louie (a kid that?s staying here at our house with his sister and mom, which is a long story how they started staying here) was watching Simba?s Pride. Even I said to him, ?Wow you like this movie? This is like your third time watching it?? :p Then Tyler said, ?Oh I can?t wait to play TLK world in Kingdom Hearts II!? And I was surprised he said that? Really I didn?t think he and his sister even liked TLK. Because every time I would talk about it, Tyler never said anything. (And normally when someone talks about something you have an interest in, you usually speak up too) I even remember talking about TLK at his house and I remember his sister saying she didn?t like TLK. (I had no comment? Everyone has their own opinions) XD So I was quite surprised to find out later that night that she bought TLKoB tickets. Then later we were in the hallway, I said, ?You?re never seen this movie huh?? And he?s like, ?No I haven?t?? I?ve showed him TLK 1 ? before, just because he wanted to, (Probably because he likes the Timon and Pumbaa Show) even though in my opinion I don?t really like it that much. (He liked it though) I prefer Simba?s Pride to TLK 1 ?, but maybe that?s just me. (Nothing compares to the original first TLK though) Well here I am rambling about my friends and TLK. :lol: I was just rather surprised about this interest they were showing in TLK in general tonight? They know about my obsession with TLK, yet they never really seemed to show too much interest in it. Well I hope some of you liked reading this long story? :haha:

Simbaspirit
November 12th, 2005, 04:06 PM
oh my gosh!! im goona see TLKoB in 12 hours!!!! now for the 7 hour drive...:D :idiot: :p :shout: :wow: ;)

Bahati
November 12th, 2005, 04:37 PM
There's so many potential routes to pursue if one wishes to become involved in TLKoB. The on-stage acting is but a single element. The musicians, technicians, wardrobe assistants, and host of other staff all work together to provide crucial ingredients to the full TLKoB experience.

I'd love to be part of the behind-the-scenes crew. Some sort of technician or other.

HasiraKali
November 13th, 2005, 08:11 AM
Costumes totally. Or just running crew would be awesome. My best friend is training to be a dancer and is planning on auditioning for TLK when he graduates from Uni next year. He said he'd let me come play backstage. :lol: If I ever have the opportunity to interview for a position on the tech crew, I will totally take it. :)

Sharifu: Sorry. :lol: Yes, I was talking about the clip Lion_King_300 posted. And congrats on your second row seats. :D Mine are second row for one of the performances too. :) We'll compare notes. ;)

Sharifu
November 13th, 2005, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Bahati
There's so many potential routes to pursue if one wishes to become involved in TLKoB. The on-stage acting is but a single element. The musicians, technicians, wardrobe assistants, and host of other staff all work together to provide crucial ingredients to the full TLKoB experience.

I'd love to be part of the behind-the-scenes crew. Some sort of technician or other.

Yeah that's so true... I do think it would be neat to be the puppet supervisor... :D

HasiraKali, how many times are going to see TLKoB while it plays in San Antonio?

HasiraKali
November 13th, 2005, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Sharifu
HasiraKali, how many times are going to see TLKoB while it plays in San Antonio? [/B]

Seven. But that might change when it gets closer to April. :) If I could afford it, I'd go to all 50 something performances... but alas, I am a poor college student.

Sharifu
November 14th, 2005, 03:17 AM
Wow 7!!! How much money are you spending for these tickets? :p

I'm only seeing the show once while it's in San Jose... My mom already thought it was weird enough I was seeing it again after seeing it three times already, but she doesn't understand.

HasiraKali
November 14th, 2005, 03:27 AM
Wow 7!!! How much money are you spending for these tickets? :p

I'm only seeing the show once while it's in San Jose... My mom already thought it was weird enough I was seeing it again after seeing it three times already, but she doesn't understand.

Spent way too much. :lol: But I've been saving to do this for 3 years. I've been putting a little money aside each month specifically for TLK. :) I've even cut back on my ebaying just so it wouldn't kill my account totally. :lol:

Sharifu
November 14th, 2005, 03:49 AM
:lol: Wow... So you knew for a very long time that the show was coming to San Antonio huh? Were all the tickets you bought, orchestra seats?

HasiraKali
November 14th, 2005, 05:03 AM
:lol: Wow... So you knew for a very long time that the show was coming to San Antonio huh? Were all the tickets you bought, orchestra seats?

It was supposed to come through two years ago and then they switched it to this year and then to next year. So I'm actually getting to go more than I would have if it had come when it was supposed to. :lol: I have two sets of orchestra (one set's in the VIP section :lol:), two sets of Mezz, and three seperates for Mezz. I'm so excited. I stare at them every day.

Simbaspirit
November 14th, 2005, 07:15 AM
it. was. amazing. totally worth the two 8 1/2 hour drive. lots of stuff was diiferent then what i thouhght! more l8er. have had NO sleep :zzz:

Lion_King_300
November 14th, 2005, 02:57 PM
And anyways, instead I asked my buddy Tim, our own member Lion_King_300 if he wanted to use that extra ticket we had. I know he lives kind of far away from San Jose, but I asked him just in case. I considered asking him first because, I know he?s a big TLKoB fan, and he?s willing to pay the normal theater prices for TLKoB tickets. The day I bought tickets for, is on his birthday (February 24, and I had no idea at the time I bought the tickets that that day was his birthday). We can hang out again (We met in Portland last September to see TLKoB together with Lea member Starlioness, it all worked out great since I was visiting my mom in Oregon during that time). And also we can go sight see in San Francisco, I thought he might like to see that city? :D To meet Lea members Vidan and Muruwa as well, since they will be seeing the show with us too, and also because I have second row seats. Tim seemed all two happy about this and quickly considered to go. (He doesn?t have to pay for a hotel, I told him he?s welcome to stay here at my place for the weekend and he?s going to fly! :wow: Yay, I?m glad and this will be so fun Tim! I can?t wait!) :)

Yeah, 2nd row seats, it wasn't even a question as to whether I would go or not. That is going to be the best Birthday present ever to go see you and TLKOB again from that close! :wow:

And it too would be my dream job to work for TLKOB somehow, not as an actor/performer but backstage somewhere. Even to work backstage though at a production as big as that requires an extensive drama background, however which I don't have... oh well maybe there's another way. It would just be so great to know you're a part of that team putting the experience together for thousands of people every night.

HoLy CoW! 7 times HasiraKali??? That's unbelievable!!! I'd think it'd get a little repetitive after the third or fourth time especially in the same run, even being a big fan of TLKOB, I've seen it five times but spread out over 10 months and at 3 different theatres, 7 times would be a little too much for me. But it's cool that you'll get to see it from different viewpoints and you've obviously been waiting a long time for this!

HasiraKali
November 14th, 2005, 09:36 PM
Certain shows don't get repetitive for me. I've seen Phantom 5 times. That was spread out though... Nah it won't be repetitive. That's what's great about live theater. Everytime you see it, it's different. The audience, the performers change things up, and of course when things don't go as planned, it can be pretty amusing. :)

Ralli
November 14th, 2005, 11:11 PM
TLKoB is amazing, but oddly enough...I got...well...I can't say tired of it, nor repetitive, but it was...pretty much the same.

Well, before I saw it the first time, I had seen Cats about five times, and of course TLKoB was jawdropping for me. The second time I saw it, after perhaps my sixth time seeing Cats, I was...in a way...taken back.

Because the thing with Cats is it's always different. Yes, the song sequences are the same, the characters are the same (in the US tour), but sometimes the actors/actresses are different and they'll have different interpretations of the characters and they never do the same thing in the background. It's always different for me. I've seen it seven or eight times (I've actually lost count!)...which is pretty "unbelievable" in my case, since my family is about lower-middle-class. :bleen: And I'd like to point out the fact that I am not obsessed with Cats...I'm actually not very active in the fandom at all, no where near as much as TLK.

But anyway, yea, I was really, really surprised when I saw that TLKoB was almost exactly the same as the last time I had seen it, even with maybe two or three different actors/actresses. Of course I would notice things I hadn't noticed before, but I was so used to seeing characters doing almost whole different things in parts that wasn't choreographed (dancing and so on).

And so ends my totally pointless tale of the differences between TLKoB and Cats. Which no one will give a crap about...BUT...oh well. :uhno: *wonders how much of someone's time she has wasted*

HasiraKali
November 15th, 2005, 01:36 AM
Cats is a pretty changable show. Everytime I saw it, I noticed different trash pieces in the set. :lol: I'm a hardcore theater person so I always notice itty bitty things no one else would. Like I noticed, last time I saw Phantom that the chandelier didn't rise at the right point in the music and was still going up when the overture was over. I'm sure I'll pick up on that kind of thing with TLK too. :) And I'm slightly obsessed anyway. ;)

Sharifu
November 15th, 2005, 06:14 AM
Hmm, TLKoB is the only broadway show I have ever seen... I do want to see The Phanton of the Opera... :D And I also want to see Tarzan! (Maaaaybe Beauty and the Beast, but I don't know, I'm not really a huge fan of that movie.) I did see that Aladdin musical at California Adventure though... It's sort of like a broadway musical. :lol:

Roku
November 15th, 2005, 04:08 PM
I want to see it SOOOOO bad....but I can't!!!

But I have the soundtrack and love it.

chaotic serenit
November 15th, 2005, 04:41 PM
Aww, you're missing some of my most favorite filler moments...the lionesses' hunt, Zazu and Mufasa's banter, Nala's journey...

I'm a hardcore theater person so I always notice itty bitty things no one else would. Like I noticed, last time I saw Phantom that the chandelier didn't rise at the right point in the music and was still going up when the overture was over.

*is jealous* I can't afford the time or money to see theatre that often, but I very much enjoy the few times I year I get to. I'm hoping to grab tickets for PotO, but I wouldn't be surprised if they sell out before I get a chance to grab them.

I have to add that I think TLKoB succeeds because it doesn't many any attempts at realism. That's really where I think the TLK ice show goes so wrong. The cunning artistry and prop manipulation really goes a long way to making the experience memorable, even if your imagination has to fill in the gaps.

HasiraKali
November 16th, 2005, 03:34 AM
Where are you going to see it? Phantom tickets on tour and even Broadway aren't really that hard to get, especially if you go alone. Just remember, when something is listed as "Sold out" it might not actually be. More than likely it just means that there are single seats throughout the theater but nothing together. ;)

Sharifu
November 16th, 2005, 03:38 AM
Where are you going to see it? Phantom tickets on tour and even Broadway aren't really that hard to get, especially if you go alone. Just remember, when something is listed as "Sold out" it might not actually be. More than likely it just means that there are single seats throughout the theater but nothing together. ;)

Well I actually checked the touring cast for Phantom and I haven't seen any coming near my area. Maybe someday I'll go to New York, and if I do I'll see some musicals while I'm there. :)

HasiraKali
November 16th, 2005, 03:41 AM
Well I actually checked the touring cast for Phantom and I haven't seen any coming near my area. Maybe someday I'll go to New York, and if I do I'll see some musicals while I'm there. :)

Phantom probably won't be going to Cali anytime soon. They're opening an extremely shortened version in Las Vegas this spring. It's going to be 90 minutes... which I don't see how they're going to do that. :confused: The show is 2 hours and 15 minutes. What are they going to cut? :lol:

Sharifu
November 16th, 2005, 03:43 AM
Originally posted by Roku
I want to see it SOOOOO bad....but I can't!!!

Why not? Where do you live?

Azerane
November 16th, 2005, 03:57 AM
Phantom probably won't be going to Cali anytime soon. They're opening an extremely shortened version in Las Vegas this spring. It's going to be 90 minutes... which I don't see how they're going to do that. :confused: The show is 2 hours and 15 minutes. What are they going to cut? :lol:

That's just wrong... there's nothing you can cut out!! It's impossible... it's all so great and awesome... *wants to see it again*

Kintaru
November 16th, 2005, 04:14 AM
I'd like to go see it sometime, though I have to find someone special who would want to go see it with me. ;)

HasiraKali
November 16th, 2005, 04:38 AM
Originally posted by Lion_King_300
Actually the show is 2 hours 45 minutes including a ten-minute intermission - so that'd be just about cutting the show in half - not possible!

Where did you hear this information about TLKOB going to Las Vegas, Hasirakali? I did some extensive searching and couldn't find anything about it. It is interesting that TLKOB has never been to Las Vegas, but it's not like that city needs any attractions, there are so many shows there already, and Vegas isn't exactly a family-oriented city!

If it really is 90 minutes then it must have gone through some major retooling or reworking of the story...

I was talking about Phantom of the Opera. Sorry for not being specific enough. :) There are no plans to butcher TLK is such a way thank heavens. ;)

Sharifu
November 16th, 2005, 04:49 AM
Hehe I knew she was talking about Phanton, since before that sentence she said about Vegas, she said, "Phantom probably won't be going to Cali anytime soon."

Azerane
November 16th, 2005, 04:57 AM
I was talking about Phantom of the Opera. Sorry for not being specific enough. :) There are no plans to butcher TLK is such a way thank heavens. ;)
Oh yeah, lol, you're right *breathes a sigh of relief* I didn't read the word 'Phantom' :p I just assumed that everyone would be talking about TLKoB :p

@Kintaru: Pick me, pick me! :D ;)

Kintaru
November 16th, 2005, 05:02 AM
*Picks Azerane* Hehehe, well it looks like we have a winner! If you can get here, I'll be more than happy to take ya. ;)

Azerane
November 16th, 2005, 05:09 AM
Yeah... if I can get there... heh. You really must see TLKoB though, it's dissapointing you missed it in Philly... I think I remember you saying it was going there after you were leaving.:confused:

Kintaru
November 16th, 2005, 05:19 AM
Yeah, right after I move they finally tour in Philly. What kinda crap is that? Hehehe. :cheese:

And I'm sure you can make it. ;)

Azerane
November 16th, 2005, 05:29 AM
Maybe when you go back to visit you can go an see it, if it's still on, it should be though, it was running in Sydney for a long time and it's still running in Melbourne and that's been going since July and is gonna go into next year.

Hehe, yeah, hopefully.

HasiraKali
November 16th, 2005, 05:43 AM
Has it been mentioned that TLK is moving in New York? From the New Amsterdam to the Minskoff? If it has been mentioned, ignore me. I'm musing. :lol:

chaotic serenit
November 16th, 2005, 05:31 PM
Where are you going to see it? Phantom tickets on tour and even Broadway aren't really that hard to get, especially if you go alone. Just remember, when something is listed as "Sold out" it might not actually be. More than likely it just means that there are single seats throughout the theater but nothing together.

Pennsylvania. It's playing at the Benedum, I believe, and I wouldn't be concerned about, but it's playing during the holiday stretch, so the good seats tend to go fast during that time period. I dunno. :) Hopefully, I can grab them. I just have to remember to get a moment to call the box office.

simba2662
November 16th, 2005, 10:47 PM
The Melbourne show just released alot of tickets with the last show scheduled for 21May 2006. The majority of the tickets for that performance were allocation exhausted so It seems as though that will be the last show. Probably all reserved for the VIP's :p

Lion_King_300
November 17th, 2005, 06:29 AM
Has it been mentioned that TLK is moving in New York? From the New Amsterdam to the Minskoff? If it has been mentioned, ignore me. I'm musing. :lol:

Oh that is a little saddening to hear! We'll all miss that huge billboard in Times Square... the New Amsterdam was just incredible looking inside, the sound and acoustics was so good in there! Anyone that hasn't seen TLKOB in the theatre it was meant to be shown it better get their tickets quick before the show leaves! I'm planning to go to New York on December 14-15 to try out for Who Wants to be a Millionaire and while I'm there I will be sure to see TLKOB one last time at the New Amsterdam! From things I've read and photos I've seen the Minskoff is a bit smaller and not as ornate inside as the New Amsterdam, about 100 seats smaller. TLKOB is still pretty much selling out every night too so this is quite a surprise.

Guess Disney finally figured it was time for a change... but I doubt Mary Poppins will achieve anywhere near the status that TLKOB has on Broadway, even with it's el primo location.

I don't think it has been mentioned HasiraKali and I sure as heck didn't know. Thanks for the news!

HasiraKali
November 17th, 2005, 05:00 PM
I think they figure that the audience TLK has will follow it wherever it goes. I know I would if I lived in NYC. ;) But I really don't understand the move since they spent so much money making the theater fit the show instead of the other way around. Also, the Minskoff has a history of first run flops. And you know how theater folk can be. :lol: Maybe they're superstitious and don't want to jinx Mary Poppins before it even opens. :lol: TLK has already proven itself so the theater really won't make a difference.

larrymcp
November 17th, 2005, 10:33 PM
That's weird. Wouldn't it cost much less money to just install Mary Poppins at the Minskoff (only one installation), than to have to install TWO shows (both Mary Poppins and TLKoB) at different theatres?

I see HasiraKali's theory; but I'm just curious if anyone has read Disney's explanation of why they would pay for two installations when they easily could have just paid for one.

HasiraKali
November 18th, 2005, 08:47 PM
I don't think Disney has made an explanation yet. It really doesn't make much sense. I guess they figure that the New Amsterdam is already pretty equiped to handle a show like that. So they'd be doing one big renovation either way. Who knows. :lol:

Bahati
November 21st, 2005, 06:16 AM
Just got back from the Spokane, WA show, and it was absolutely superb. I'll post a write-up tomorrow: for now, I'm catching some sleep!

Lion_King_300
November 23rd, 2005, 01:22 AM
That's great Bahati, glad you enjoyed it, quite a trip for you from western Oregon!

I'm curious as to any differences/changes you noticed from the Portland production if there were any you can remember, and maybe any differences in the theatres themselves. Look forward to hearing from you.

Sharifu
November 23rd, 2005, 01:32 AM
So you live in Oregon Bahati?

Lion_King_300
November 23rd, 2005, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by Bahati
TLKoB's been getting plenty of mention on my local radio stations since it opened in Portland, Oregon on September 9th.

A while ago he was talking about seeing TLKOB in Portland, I'm assuming he lives near Portland from this quote. I wish I lived near Portland. Then I wouldn't have to pay freakin 9% sales tax on everything I buy... it adds up you know. But I do prefer to pump my own gas. Oregon's weird.

:confused:

But Lloyd Center mall was really cool, better than all the malls we have here in the Seattle area.

Sharifu
November 23rd, 2005, 03:57 AM
But I do prefer to pump my own gas. Oregon's weird.

:lol: Why? I like it how they pump the gas for you... Why would you want to get out of your car in the rain? :p

Lion_King_300
November 23rd, 2005, 06:01 AM
Well the rain's usually not a problem cuz the gas stations are covered, but I usually go in and buy something from the store anyways... and I like to squeegee my own windows (poor man's car wash)

I'd get used to it if I lived there I'm sure but I grew up on self-serve and I'd even get out and pump the gas for my dad when I was a kid and we were driving somewhere.

Are you supposed to tip those guys anyway?

Sharifu
November 23rd, 2005, 06:05 AM
Hmm I don't really remember... I don't think so.

Bahati
November 23rd, 2005, 11:29 PM
To clear up any confusion, I live in Vancouver, though it might as well be Portland: the only thing separating the two is the Columbia River. My past comment on radio stations promoting TLKoB in Portland was due to the fact that many Vancouver denizens listen to stations based in Portland. :lol:

I set out for Spokane on Saturday at about 4:30 PM. The wind was pretty fierce along 84 after hopping the Columbia and passing through Portland, but it died down around a half-hour later. I stopped for gas in Biggs, a town which lies a tad over ten miles east of the Dalles. Mind you, Biggs is in Oregon, so someone did pump the gas for me. I've yet to hear any explanation for why Oregon still does this. Washington doesn't, and we're just fine.

I jumped back on 84 and continued eastward until nearing Hermiston, where I slid onto 82 and passed back into Washington territory. 82 curves west around the Kennewick/Pasco area farther north. I switched onto 182 east and met up with 395 north shortly thereafter. The 395 later merges into 90, which took me northeast and the rest of the way to Spokane.

There is a barrier of fog, I'm convinced, that permanently sits around Spokane. The last 40 miles or so to Spokane was nothing but fog. Dense fog, too, and at night. I ran into the same barrier when leaving Spokane the next day, albeit when there was more light out.

I rode into Spokane at about 10:30 PM and promptly had another 30 minutes consumed in trying to find a place to stay. Fortunately, a Budget Inn conveniently located on the edge of downtown sheltered me for the night.

Spokane is an interesting city. As I learned the next morning, the entire downtown area acts as one giant wireless hotspot: anyone who visits it can register on a webpage for two hours of free internet access. There's a fair number of churches, too, old ones with really impressive masonry work. I wish I had brought my camera along, but not just for the churches: it seemed that about every single lightpost in the downtown area was adorned with TLKoB banners! I hadn't spotted them as I was driving around at night, but when I made the 5-minute drive from my hotel to the Spokane Opera House around 12:30 PM on Sunday, they were impossible to miss. One parking lot near the center even had a huge TLKoB billboard up on display. I'd have given entire kingdoms for a camera!

The Spokane Opera House is a gorgeous building, covered with massive windows and possessing simply killer architecture. There's a convention center being built next to it which looks equally impressive, even in its unfinished state. A large electronic sign sits out front declaring TLKoB's presence. When I arrived at the Opera House, one unfortunate soul was standing outside holding a green sign with "Need Tickets" in black writing. Glad to have my own entrance ensured, I stepped inside.

I cannot convey just how large the entrance/lobby area of the Opera House is. Keller Auditorium pales in comparison with that place. The large windows do a great job illuminating the interior, which, when I was there, was sprawling with merchandise booths and the like. With about 10 minutes to go until the 1 PM showing, I took an elevator up and tracked down my seat, N37, located dead-center in the orchestra-level.

First act: magnificent. If anything differed from the Portland show, I didn't notice or don't remember it.

The intermission gave me my opportunity to have an obligatory go at merchandise. I purchased "The Lion King: Pride Rock on Broadway" for $40 (cheaper online, but hey), another shirt for $30, and a hat for $20. I was somewhat disappointed to see that there were no Spokane-specific shirts like the one I have from Portland. I've been wearing that hat religiously the last few days.

Second act was just as good as the first, but with a slight twist at the end. As the curtain dropped and rose again during the closing applause, Larry Yando (Scar) stepped forward. He thanked the audience and the city of Spokane for their hospitality, then gave a brief presentation to encourage donation to Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS. A number of items were mentioned as purchasable in the lobby: hand-crafted animal dolls, ornate bead necklaces, and last but not least, TLKoB tour posters autographed by the entire cast. I would love to have purchased a poster, but I'd already spent everything I had with me during the intermission. I shuffled my way through the crowd and out to my car with a bag full of memories in hand.

The drive back home was just as long as the trip to Spokane, nearly six hours and close to 400 miles. Hit Biggs again for gas and had someone else pump again. Arrived home, fired off a message on Lea, and retired to bed.

Lion_King_300
November 24th, 2005, 12:32 AM
Oh wow, what a great story Bahati! I guess I shouldn't be complaining about my 3 hour drive from Seattle to Portland, yours was twice as long! That's great Yando took an extra moment to do that, I think it's great when the actors speak to the audience, unscripted, after the show is over.

I figured that being an Opera House that the foyer would be bigger than Keller Auditorium, sounds like a fantastic place. Glad you enjoyed it (as if you wouldn't :lol:) can't wait to see the show down in Sharifu's neck of the woods (San Jose Center for the Performing Arts) on my 20th birthday in a few months!

Nice souvenir picks too, Pride Rock on Broadway is an incredible read. I buy just about all my TLKOB merchandise on Ebay though, much cheaper. I recently scored a really nice brand new TLKOB white fleece pullover for only about $20, they don't sell that in the touring company and costs $50 at the New Amsterdam!

Oh yeah, and also glad to hear you're a Washingtonian, barely :) That makes three of us on Lea!

Simbaspirit
November 24th, 2005, 05:39 AM
i went to the spokane poduction too!!
it was a 8 1/2 hour drive for me though, so it was a little longer than yours.:cheese:

SO AMAZING!!!

i got a giraffe pin, spakly t shirt, book, bracelet and yea.

scar didnt talk about aids though. bummer. i wanna dolly!!!:grrr:

so good.

worth the 17 hour total drive.

we spent 1 night in the red lion hotel.

KanuTGL
November 24th, 2005, 02:10 PM
Now, for the poll, I really think "Circle of Life" was one of the most amazing scenes I have ever seen! =D

Lion_King_300
November 25th, 2005, 12:32 AM
For me it was a virtual tie... COL and He Lives in You reprise both just about brought me to tears the first time I saw them, and in the poll those two scenes have been battling for #1 and finally the Ghost scene pulled ahead!

I voted for HLIY because, just like in the movie, the story would just not be the same without Mufasa's Ghost physically reappearing and speaking to Simba, and the delicate way they intertwine the song and lyrics with the dialogue is nothing short of heart-stopping, and when the three-story tall ghost appears from the little speckles of light, that just sends chills down your spine!

I personally love this scene because it represents the transition of the hero's lowest point of denial to his pinnacle of revelation (the end where all the dancers are on stage after Simba decides to return) and the sudden change in mood and lighting takes you on this emotional roller coaster that captivates you, kinda like the whole show does.

Technically I think COL is better than HLIY but as far as emotional appeal and personal memorability for me, HLIY reprise is my fav.

Simbaspirit
November 25th, 2005, 05:03 AM
um, what he said:D

Bahati
November 25th, 2005, 05:32 AM
I also voted for the HLIY reprise. The materialization of Mufasa's ghost is absolutely breathtaking. Despite knowing what to expect from the Portland show, my heart still skipped a beat in Spokane when the indeterminate objects swirling in the background all flew together to form the face of Mufasa.

Prince_Kivoru
November 27th, 2005, 12:46 AM
It was sweet, i saw it for my birthday last year...Simba had freakin swords!!! :haha:

Azerane
November 27th, 2005, 03:29 AM
^I went for my birthday too! :D I must say it was one of the coolest presents I've ever recieved!

Lion_King_300
November 30th, 2005, 07:06 AM
Got a quick story:

Today I went to Toys R Us to buy a few things, including a Jumbo Nala plush that was on sale for only $9.99, anyway I went to check out and the guy asks me (probably after noticing my Lion King jacket and Nala plush) if I saw TLKOB at the Paramount Theatre in Seattle last winter. I reply that I did, and that it was one of the most incredible experiences of my life - turns out that his other job is being an usher at the Paramount and he saw TLKOB SIXTY SEVEN (67) times by exact count, working five nights a week down there, and he said he never got tired of it!

Imagine, getting to watch TLKOB every night not only for free, but getting PAID to do it! That would be an awesome job. He also told me that he knew the whole cast by a first-name basis and learned some of the Swahili in the production (some of the chants and opening to Circle of Life) and said it was a great experience for him. I am just a *little* bit jealous!

So now we know: If you're obsessed with TLKOB, get a job as an usher at the local theatre that will host TLKOB when it comes to your city, and the show also hires an extensive amount of local crew and volunteers and I'm sure they get complimentary seats as well.

Simbaspirit
November 30th, 2005, 04:52 PM
1. i have that jumbo nala plushie, and a jumbo simba!
SO UNFAIR!!!!! as soon as i turn 16, im gonna do that.

PS who else thinks TLKoB should come to Vancouver??? HUGE city, and its close to lots of you washington people, and, of course, nafklt.

HasiraKali
December 1st, 2005, 05:12 AM
I've tried to get an ushering position here but you have to be old. They only hire older people. It kind of sucks. Plus I refuse to seat people after the curtain so I'd probably get in trouble and yelled at a lot.

Lion_King_300
December 1st, 2005, 06:24 AM
Strange, the guy I talked to was really young, probably not much older than me maybe early 20's but not older than that. Guess it depends on the theatre, he probably had connections of some sort to get that job because the Paramount is the nicest theatre in Seattle.

TLKOB should definitely come to Vancouver BC before they quit touring! I am very surprised that they haven't gone up there yet, although they are marketing it as a "U.S." National tour. Having hit Seattle, Portland and Spokane in the past year it's going to be very unlikely that they're going to come back to the Pacific Northwest again in the near future, but if anywhere they'd go north of the border I think. We just have to wait for the new touring schedule to see!

HasiraKali
December 2nd, 2005, 02:48 AM
Aren't there two companies as well? Might have something to do with how long it stops somewhere and theaters being able to handle it. I know the Majestic here was remodeled to hold Phantom when it came back through and I'm guessing for TLK as well since that's about the time the show started touring.

Oh and I've been meaning to ask Lion_King_300: Who is the Simba in your av and do you have the whole pic to share? :D

Lion_King_300
December 2nd, 2005, 03:42 AM
Yes there are two tours, the "Cheetah" tour which is primarily on the West Coast and southern U.S. while the "Gazelle" tour is found on the East Coast and central U.S.

The Simba in my avatar is Roger Wright from the London TLKOB production. He played the role for almost three years before moving on to other acting and music producing ventures. He is with a pop group called "Fresh." He has won various modeling awards and modeled for companies like Armani.

Here is a page with a clip of him singing the end of "He Lives in You reprise":

http://www.disney.co.uk/MusicalTheatre/TheLionKing/downloads/watchandlisten.html

(You may notice that he's also featured on the TLK special edition DVD in the clips about TLKOB)

He has a very powerful voice and seems like a great actor, I would very much have enjoyed seeing him perform. I actually got the pic for the avatar from a DVD screenshot. I can get some more pics of Roger if you want, if you don't have a DVD player that can take stills.

HasiraKali
December 2nd, 2005, 03:47 AM
That's who I thought it was. :lol: Could you take some caps? I don't have a DVD player in my comp... yet. ;)

Lion_King_300
December 2nd, 2005, 03:52 AM
lol you think he's pretty cute huh ;) :rawr:

I'm not surprised he was named 'International Top Male Model' though.

Sure I'll get some caps for ya, I'll post them soon... probably by tonight after I get a little homework done.

HasiraKali
December 2nd, 2005, 03:55 AM
Yeah he is. :lol: Though I'm finding myself fancying Wallace Smith at the moment. Since he's my wallpaper I get distracted by him when I'm trying to do homework. It's bad. :lol: Thanks for the caps. No rush. :)

Lion_King_300
December 2nd, 2005, 07:18 AM
Yes Wallace was fantastic as Simba both times I saw him in Portland. Not quite as good looking as Roger Wright IMO but... nothing I'm too concerned with *wink*

This was kind of challenging because on the DVD they only show him for a few frames at a time and they always "blend" the images so when you try to take caps you get two images like the third "Endless night" pic where you can see screenwriter Irene Mecchi in the bg like a "ghost," I like the way that one turned out so I kept it... I'll be using these for my desktop bg's myself and if anyone else out there wants to use them go ahead. Just don't report me to Disney...

Anyway here are your pics! I made them 640x480 normal size so you can use them as wallpapers.

http://students.washington.edu/tim300/roger1.bmp
http://students.washington.edu/tim300/roger2.bmp
http://students.washington.edu/tim300/roger3.bmp
http://students.washington.edu/tim300/roger4.bmp
http://students.washington.edu/tim300/roger5.bmp
http://students.washington.edu/tim300/roger6.bmp
http://students.washington.edu/tim300/roger7.bmp
http://students.washington.edu/tim300/roger8.bmp
http://students.washington.edu/tim300/roger9.bmp
http://students.washington.edu/tim300/roger10.bmp

HasiraKali
December 3rd, 2005, 02:50 AM
Ooooh Thanks so much. :D So sweaty :lol: I remember when I saw the show in NY, Jason's makeup was running down into his costume. My sister was teasing me that I'd love the job of wiping it up. :lol:

Lion_King_300
December 3rd, 2005, 09:07 AM
Wow, you were able to catch the show on Broadway while Jason Raize was performing? That would have been a real treat for me to experience... you're lucky! I actually hardly knew anything about the show before I really got into TLK hardcore in late 2003, and by then it had been running for six years!

Yeah, the role of Simba is so physical, how could someone NOT sweat when they're up there? I think that would be embarassing especially if you sweat a lot (Roger looks like he does). And you're very welcome. I felt like taking a break from studying anyway :)

Prince_Kivoru
December 4th, 2005, 12:26 AM
Hey Hey!! true story!! my friend's mother was one of the security gaurds back stage so she got us passes to met some of the people! I got a kiss from the lady that played Sarabi ^.^

Lion_King_300
December 4th, 2005, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by Prince_Kivoru
Hey Hey!! true story!! my friend's mother was one of the security gaurds back stage so she got us passes to met some of the people! I got a kiss from the lady that played Sarabi ^.^

Very cool, was this in NYC too or in one of the touring casts?

HasiraKali
December 4th, 2005, 04:01 AM
Wow, you were able to catch the show on Broadway while Jason Raize was performing? That would have been a real treat for me to experience... you're lucky! I actually hardly knew anything about the show before I really got into TLK hardcore in late 2003, and by then it had been running for six years!

Yeah, the role of Simba is so physical, how could someone NOT sweat when they're up there? I think that would be embarassing especially if you sweat a lot (Roger looks like he does). And you're very welcome. I felt like taking a break from studying anyway :)

Yeah it was nice. Right after the cast recording came out I learned that I had seen him in Jesus Christ Superstar as Pilate when the tour came through here. I waited by the stage door for him but there was some special event going on that night so the guard said the cast wouldn't be coming out. I was so sad. :( And then when he passed away. I didn't listen to the CD for almost a year. :(

Simbaspirit
December 6th, 2005, 02:43 AM
ya, its so sad he took his life...

nathalie
January 25th, 2006, 02:13 PM
The musical in The Netherlands will end in August 2006.
The last Sunday of the month is the last time it will play.

After that the costumes, set, etc ... will move to Paris, where as of then the French "Lion King" musical will start.

Just thought I'd mention it :)

Lion_King_300
January 25th, 2006, 06:32 PM
Wow, Paris??? That's really cool, I think the French will really appreciate the show because their culture is already so steeped in artisanship. That's also good to hear because it means that Disney is still trying to invest in the show and that it will probably keep going strong for a number of years now.

I can't wait to hear the French TLKOB soundtrack! Thanks for the info Nath!

Tim

nathalie
January 25th, 2006, 07:04 PM
Oh, I forgot, another TLK soundtrack / CD to get :eek:

haha :lol:

HasiraKali
January 25th, 2006, 07:16 PM
Yay Paris! :lol: Maybe it'll be there when I get my butt over there.

nathalie
January 25th, 2006, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by nathalie
The Lion King will also come to Paris ... !

http://www.stage-entertainment.fr/leroilion/ (site is in French, sorry)

http://www.stage-entertainment.fr/leroilion/images/1g.gif

*aaaaaaa* I knew I once posted it in here ...

They are still looking for people to audition ... So if anyone is interested :D haha

Simbaspirit
January 25th, 2006, 10:23 PM
pfff i WISH!!!!

my dream is to be on TLKoB:p

Sharifu
January 26th, 2006, 10:24 AM
That's so cool TLKoB is going to France. The same city Disneyland is in too! :p

Only about a month until I see TLKoB again. Second row with my Lea buddies! Yay!

nathalie
January 26th, 2006, 10:37 AM
*hopes really hard* that I can make it to London aswell in August :D

No way I can get Bart to the Dutch version before it ends.
I told him yesterday they would stop in August, and he went like: oh, nice ...

:s

Sharifu
January 26th, 2006, 11:02 AM
Why wont he go?

nathalie
January 26th, 2006, 11:09 AM
He isn't much of a TLK fan, and he just doesn't like something like that.

And I can't find other to go, because they aren't "fan enough" to pay so much money for it.
I won't pay so much for it either (2nd cheapest are good enough for me) but then in the end when you wanna arrange everything, they suddenly don't wanna go anymore.

Ow well, I still have that 1 DVD + CD's o_O haha

Sharifu
January 26th, 2006, 11:40 AM
I know what you mean, even though lots of "non" TLK fans like TLKoB.

And I can't find other to go, because they aren't "fan enough" to pay so much money for it.

Yeah, I have a couple of friends where I showed them some clips of TLKoB, and they thought that the puppets and costumes were so cool. They wanted to see the show but not willing to pay that much for the tickets, even the cheapest ones. I told them I don't think TLKoB will come back to this area again... They said, "Well if it's this popular..." Well who knows... But if they miss the chance oh well what can I say, it's their lost. I would of helped them get seats.

Still I think Bart should go with you, I mean this will be the last time you can see it in Dutch. If you do want to go tell him how much it means to you.

nathalie
January 26th, 2006, 11:44 AM
He knows how much TLK means to me :)

But if it isn't his thing, I (saddly, haha) can't force him.

But I do have lots of video clips and such in Dutch.
And some other stuff which I don't know if it's safe to tell :p

This Land
January 26th, 2006, 12:49 PM
Im gonna see it in March In London :D
Its going to be the very first time i see it :slimey:
I Cant wait *Jumps Around in collage Library*

Sharifu
January 26th, 2006, 12:52 PM
But I do have lots of video clips and such in Dutch.

But still, it doesn't compare. ;) But hopefully you're get to see it in London. :cheese:

nathalie
January 26th, 2006, 01:08 PM
Yeah, I know it ain't the same, but now I know what it looks like, and what it all sounds like.

Better then nothing :cheese:

HasiraKali
January 26th, 2006, 06:28 PM
Nath, you have a DVD? ;) Awesome.

nathalie
January 26th, 2006, 07:28 PM
Yeah, but the sound is totally [...] haha
I only watched it 1 time, and just turned off the sound. Sounded even better like that, haha
The image is good/great though.

It just was expected with this also, that in these days, people will sneak in stuff.

Simbaspirit
January 27th, 2006, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by This land
Im gonna see it in March In London :D
Its going to be the very first time i see it :slimey:
I Cant wait *Jumps Around in collage Library*

your gonna LOVE it!!

HasiraKali
January 27th, 2006, 07:50 PM
I've got my share of boots too. :lol: No TLK ones though... yet. ;)

This Land
January 27th, 2006, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by Simbaspirit
your gonna LOVE it!!

i know :slimey:

If anybody else is going some time in march to see it aswell, please tell me, i would love to meet any of you :hugs:

Also you can download Some Tlkob footage off pridelands.ru, One is from the actual Broadway musical COL and the rest are from performances in TV interveiw programs (Still Broadway Cast).

nathalie
January 27th, 2006, 10:08 PM
I've got my share of boots too. :lol: No TLK ones though... yet. ;)

Same here, haha
I hate to leave the house without my portable MD player *lol*

just a girl
January 28th, 2006, 02:29 PM
Natalie...Are you going to see LK in London alone? I'll be in London in summer, in July in August, all the time...would be lovely to get someone to the theatre with me ;) I'm usually sitting there all alone feeling sorry for myself...NOT!

And I can check the show in 14 days, I'll go take a peak and ask my honey if the cast is changing someday soon :)

This land - make sure you go to the stage door after the show and say hi to everyone (they're all really sweet), have to give Alexia a kiss from me, she's the best (plays adult Nala). Haha, I'm a freak, I'm going to London in a few days and all I can think about is how lucky you are cause you're gonna see the musical in March and I'll only get to see it in February and August ;)

Simbaspirit
January 28th, 2006, 04:40 PM
they didnt let us see the cast at the Spokane one, we couldnt find the door or anything...:(

nathalie
January 28th, 2006, 05:19 PM
@ Just a girl: No, after the Paris meeting, we were planning on going to London as well with some people and then see the musical together.

So that will be in the beginning of August.
A final date on that hasn't been really set (or not as far as I know).

nathalie
January 28th, 2006, 07:16 PM
Check out my sig, and the sub-forum in Scar's Liar :cheese:
There's been plans for that meeting since last year August.

In Holland it's also possible to meet the performers.
As long as you stand at the BackStage door long enough :)

just a girl
January 28th, 2006, 07:43 PM
Last year August! wow...:D Hope one year of planing will bring some results :)

Standing at the backstage door for an hour can be a good thing tho, maybe you meet your future husband ;) or at least a potential one :D

nathalie
January 28th, 2006, 07:46 PM
Maybe ... *sigh*

Don't tell Bart :eek: haha :lol:

Simbaspirit
January 28th, 2006, 08:12 PM
thats so cool about those passes!! i want one!!!

just a girl
January 28th, 2006, 08:53 PM
haha, there are a few problems tho...first you'd have to get to London, second you'd need 100 punds ;)

Simbaspirit
January 28th, 2006, 09:04 PM
hmmm, i wasn't thinking about that minor detail:thinks:..

:knowdees: i know!!! lottery tickets!!!

just a girl
January 28th, 2006, 09:09 PM
:lol: hahaha! Go girl! Pick one for me if you're already at it, cause I don't seem to have luck at those things...well you know what they say, if you don't have luck at gambling (and stuff like that) then you're lucky when it comes to love....or something like that...:confused:

and I'm so in Looooooooove right now :love:

Lucy Lioness
January 29th, 2006, 01:12 AM
Alexia was great as adult Nala, when I saw the show last March. :D
I would have so loved to meet the cast, especially adult Simba, he was cute. :browlift:

Anyway, I might be going to see it with Nathalie in the summer, if money permits. :D

Simbaspirit
January 29th, 2006, 02:37 AM
i <3 all the adult simbas. my mom says she dont mind if i come home with a bf like that:D

Kimberley
January 29th, 2006, 03:15 AM
Hey, I jsut saw TLKoB for the first time today! :cheese: I liked everything, except I didn't really like Simba and Nala who were brattish from some reason :cheese: :D

I loooved the music

and Zazu!

just a girl
January 29th, 2006, 09:09 AM
Lucy:
I love Alexia, she's the best performer in that show, and she's such a sweetheart, she got married last November so she took 14 days off and the show got so crapy :lol:

Uh oh, yes Brian is cute, he smiles all the time and he's the friendliest guy ever, but don't you talk like that in front of me
:browlift: I'll get jealous! :lol:

Let me give you a hint for summer, you go to the stage door after the show and wait...and wait...and wait...until all the other actors go home...and then at the end someone with tied back shoulder length dreadlocks will open the door. He's handsome, totally sweet and has the exact same smile he puts on in the theatre, can't miss him...and if he's in a good mood you'll have problems with making him stop talking.
:D

Kimberly, you mean adult Simba and adult Nala? Where did you go to see the musical? Maybe you caught the understudies...I find it almost impossible for those two to be bad

:confused:

nathalie
January 29th, 2006, 12:07 PM
It'll be awesome Lucy, you have to !! :cheese:

Hmm, and I wouldn't mind having a picture with me and lovely Simba ^_^

:lol:

Lucy Lioness
January 29th, 2006, 12:22 PM
It'll be awesome Lucy, you have to !! :cheese:

Hmm, and I wouldn't mind having a picture with me and lovely Simba ^_^

Hehe. Make sure I am in that picture with ya. *Drools* He's so cute. :D

nathalie
January 29th, 2006, 12:24 PM
Well, there is place on both sides of him :cheese:

nathalie
January 29th, 2006, 12:57 PM
Yeah, in his boxers, that'll do :cheese:

just a girl
January 29th, 2006, 01:08 PM
Yeah, my Baby is famous, people want his picks!! :-)

Ok, deal! Just a few details...what color of boxers? :lol:

hmmm...I'll start charging for that :D

nathalie
January 29th, 2006, 01:31 PM
It looks like we'll be seeing it on August 2nd.

Why, pink with red hearts of course ;) :lol:

Simbaspirit
January 29th, 2006, 06:22 PM
how bout SIMBA BOXERS!!!!:cheese:

just a girl
January 29th, 2006, 10:18 PM
August 2nd already!!Nice...

And nooooo, not pink!!! :eek:

Well I haven`t seen the Simba boxers, but I have seen some great bathrobes or whatever it`s called with the LKoB emblem, towels, some shirts, caps...so boxers couldn`t actually surprise me anymore...it`s like charity in that theatre...they have so many LK stuff, I could count 4 of those bathrobes in the house and one was looking at me so friendly, asking me to keep it...but oh well...it`s not mine :(

Simbaspirit
January 30th, 2006, 01:00 AM
wow! thats alot of stuff. at the spokane gift shop, they had very little to choose from:(

nathalie
January 30th, 2006, 05:28 AM
*blegh* Giftshops ... I'll need some EXTRA EXTRA cash for that, haha :lol:

Shoukai
January 30th, 2006, 10:38 AM
TlkOb is playing In San Jose musical arts theatre. I plan to see it again sometime next month. It feels like yesterday when it was playing in San Francisco.

just a girl
January 30th, 2006, 11:06 AM
Oh, I wasn`t talking about the gift shop, I was talking about his house. They give all that stuff to the performers.=D

The gift shop is pretty much the same as everywhere, you know, plushies, mini masks, shirts,etc.

And Natalie, you DO need extra money for that, seems to me everything sold in pounds costs more than in euros or dollars ;)

nathalie
January 30th, 2006, 11:17 AM
Yeah, I've been to the UK twice before, I noticed the slight higher prices :E

just a girl
January 30th, 2006, 11:23 AM
Oh, forgot to mention, you shouldn`t buy too much TLK stuff in the theatre, cause there are some shops around London where you can get the same stuff for less money...even the CD costs 5 pounds less than in the theatre...and there`s always another option...charming one of the cast memebers and getting a bunch of stuff for free ;) :lol:

Simbaspirit
January 31st, 2006, 12:34 AM
wow, luckey ducks!!

just a girl
January 31st, 2006, 10:17 PM
? luckey ducks ? why don't I get that...is it cause I'm not English, or American, or Canadian? :D

Simbaspirit
February 1st, 2006, 02:42 AM
i dont get it either:p

nathalie
February 1st, 2006, 09:01 AM
Just means you are lucky, haha

And you're not Australian eather :eek: :lol:

just a girl
February 1st, 2006, 10:59 AM
Ok, I'm a lucky duck, I guess...;)
Tho not that lucky if you ask me...I don't even get that "emblemed" bathrobe #4 that I WANT!! :mad: :lol:

nathalie
February 1st, 2006, 11:00 AM
Don't worry, you're not the only one ...
We all want so many things *sigh*

Sharifu
February 1st, 2006, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Shoukai
TlkOb is playing In San Jose musical arts theatre. I plan to see it again sometime next month. It feels like yesterday when it was playing in San Francisco.

Omg you live in the Bay Area?! I live in San Jose and I'm seeing TLKoB at that theatre February 24 with my friends. (Who are Lea members too)

(And I also saw the show once when it was in San Francisco)

just a girl
February 1st, 2006, 03:23 PM
What you don't see...I was surfing the net, looking for some kind of South African art and I found this :
http://www.nathanking.tv/Video/Lion%20King%20Lucky%20web%20ready.mov

It's not much, not something we haven't seen yet, but just wanted to let you guys know.

P.S.: Lucky is talking about the link between Lion King and African people, may be of interest to Hickoro Lioness, since she had some "problems" with "one by one" =D

HasiraKali
February 1st, 2006, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by just a girl
What you don't see...I was surfing the net, looking for some kind of South African art and I found this :

It's not much, not something we haven't seen yet, but just wanted to let you guys know.

P.S.: Lebo M is talking about the link between Lion King and African people, may be of interest to Hickoro Lioness, since she had some "problems" with "one by one" =D

That's not Lebo M though. <.<

just a girl
February 1st, 2006, 05:45 PM
...according to the things he talks about, tha fact that he plays one of those...guys singing Circle of life and that Lebo M was part of the original cast for some time, playing the exact same part...talking about how he tried to encourage his fellow South Africans..OK, maybe I'm wrong...I wouldn't fight for it ;) He does look different on other pictures :lol: I just wouldn't know who else would talk about giving the chance to others and blah blah blah :alone: I don't know that much about it. Let me say...the guy who talks about Lion King and African people... :D

HasiraKali
February 1st, 2006, 06:04 PM
:lol: That guy's name is Lucky. He's from South Africa as well so what he's saying is relevant. I was just saying he's not Lebo M. ;)

just a girl
February 1st, 2006, 06:18 PM
Yeay! Ok, sorry to Lebo and Lucky...It's all fine now...I've changed the name ;)

Anyway, Lucky, you're South African, you rule ;)

Sudi
February 3rd, 2006, 03:41 AM
I thought the opening circle of life seen was amazing. Especially how they did the sun rise!:cheese:

Sharifu
February 3rd, 2006, 08:20 AM
It looks like we'll be seeing it on August 2nd.

Yeah, STM and I are planning to see TLKoB in London too. I guess we're all trying to see it on the same day? I don't really know. XD

P.S.: Lucky is talking about the link between Lion King and African people, may be of interest to Hickoro Lioness, since she had some "problems" with "one by one" =D

Lion_King_300 posted that video before hehe. I like watching any TLKoB video I can. :p

Lion_King_300
February 3rd, 2006, 06:47 PM
It's ok, I posted that vid a long time ago. But I found a couple really neat TV commercials from the TLKOB run in Toronto a few years ago, they are made by Blue Moon Productions. Check them out:

Valentine's Day advertisement (http://bluemoonproductions.com/lionking%20valentine%27s%20video.htm)

and a more generic advertisement:

TLKOB advertisement #2 (http://bluemoonproductions.com/lionkingQT.htm)

I really like the first one because it is the only ad I've seen to feature "Can You feel the Love Tonight" and it's really cool how they used the song and fantastic visuals for great Valentine's day ad. Enjoy.

HasiraKali
February 3rd, 2006, 07:00 PM
Cool! :D I saved them ;)

just a girl
February 3rd, 2006, 10:33 PM
Nice commercials...why don't I ever find stuff like that :(

Sharifu - Go, August 2nd!!!! Looks like there will be a whole group, you could get group discounts!!! ;) But would be lovely to have a bunch of people that really appreciate the show sitting in the stalls or the royal circle, all together! :D

Simbaspirit
February 4th, 2006, 02:19 AM
Toronto=Canada+CANADIANS ROCK! great commercials, though;)

Sharifu
February 4th, 2006, 06:35 AM
I really like the first one because it is the only ad I've seen to feature "Can You feel the Love Tonight" and it's really cool how they used the song and fantastic visuals for great Valentine's day ad. Enjoy.

I like the Valentine's Day ad too. It's sweet. ^^ Purfect time to show it to us too. ;)

starionwolf
February 7th, 2006, 07:34 AM
Thanks for sharing the link Lion_King_300.

[B]Nice commercials...why don't I ever find stuff like that :(

I didn't see any commercials when the Lion King was in Baltimore. I don't think I saw it when I was watching my local ABC station. All I saw is a newspaper advertisment.

I missed my chance to see a spin-off of the broadway show called The Lion King Reloaded. That show was playing nearby.

I was sick all January, and I'm still sick. Ick.

But I can always go to New York again. lol

I better go to bed.

unregistered user
February 9th, 2006, 03:34 AM
I finally found the official CD soundtrack of TLKoB ^^ I'ms o happy that I finally officially own it now =)

soulImbibe
February 14th, 2006, 04:46 AM
I just got the Broadway soundtrack today... very nice.

Simbaspirit
February 14th, 2006, 04:50 AM
isnt it??

HasiraKali
February 14th, 2006, 05:19 AM
I like the orchestrations on the Japanese and Netherlands ones :)

Lion_King_300
February 14th, 2006, 09:30 PM
Where did you get the Netherlands one??? I really really want to get a copy of that CD but I can't find it anywhere online that ships to the U.S.

HasiraKali
February 14th, 2006, 09:44 PM
Where did you get the Netherlands one??? I really really want to get a copy of that CD but I can't find it anywhere online that ships to the U.S.

I actually downloaded it from a friend that uploaded it for me. :)

Azerane
February 14th, 2006, 10:15 PM
Just found out the other day that the last time TLKoB will be showing anywhere in Australia is June 4th this year!

I would like to get a chance to see it again, my friend and I wanted to take a trip to Melbourne to see it, only cost a couple hundred... but that money could really go towards better things so I don't know.

HasiraKali
February 14th, 2006, 10:29 PM
I heard about that. Someone on another board I go to was all upset because she thought the Broadway production was closing. Poor thing. Then one of the Aussies pointed out that it was Melbourne. It was kind of funny. :lol:

nathalie
February 17th, 2006, 04:05 PM
*hmm* about the Japanese musical CD, that's only availeble at the theater in New York?

Or also at the other place they play the musical?

HasiraKali
February 17th, 2006, 06:03 PM
They have it on Amazon but it's really expensive. :eek:

Lion_King_300
February 17th, 2006, 11:26 PM
Yes as far as I know the TLKOB Japanese cast CD is only available at the New Amsterdam, and it's $25 (that was the price when I went there in June). Every once in a while it will pop up on Amazon but they usually ask much more than the retail price, and I've only seen it once in 3 years on Ebay. A very rare CD indeed!

Sharifu
February 18th, 2006, 01:19 AM
Yeah I was wondering if TLKoB was still going to play in Australia anymore, since I didn't see it in the list of International Productions anymore, on Disney's official TLKoB site.

And for the Japanese TLKoB soundtrack... I kind of would like a copy, but I don't want to pay that much for it. XD

One week until I see TLKoB again, SECOND ROW! (Can't wait Tim! Haha) :D

HasiraKali
February 18th, 2006, 05:00 AM
I've still got like 55 days. :lol: And I'm going crazy. :lol:

nathalie
February 18th, 2006, 09:12 AM
I've seen it on ebay, but they are showing a different picture of it.

I wanted to get it, but with all shipping costs, sending the money registered mail, I kind of can't miss that much money at the moment.

Lion_King_300
February 19th, 2006, 03:53 PM
And I'm going crazy. :lol:

Me too! And I've always wanted to visit the Bay area so it will be a fantastic and most memorable birthday vacation, though it's a short one.

One thing's for sure... I :hugs::hugs::hugs: Audra for thinking of me and inviting me to go see TLKOB from the second row, a dream come true to have that good seats.

Zaya
February 19th, 2006, 04:18 PM
I saw TLK in LD last week and it was amazing, as usual. I got 4th row tickets two days before the show, lucky me! :D Just needed to tell someone cause I was so happy :lol:

HasiraKali
February 19th, 2006, 05:28 PM
The last time I'm seeing it here I have second row seats too. I'm terribly excited. I'll be close enough to be spat on. :D Yay! Simba spit! :lol:

Zaya
February 19th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Iwwwww....Simba spit...iwwwww....:lol:
Well, you know, some believe spitting on someone brings luck :D

Simbaspirit
February 20th, 2006, 05:30 AM
simbaspirit-ri=simbaspit

:eww:

Sharifu
February 23rd, 2006, 04:47 AM
Well, my mom and her boyfriend (well now ex-boyfriend) were going to see TLKoB in San Jose this last Tuesday. My mom didn't really want to go with him (even though she wanted to see TLKoB again) plus she has a court date she has to get ready for by Friday, so my mom's ex-boyfriend, Bill, gave the tickets to his renter, named Karen. She's been renting a room from him for years. So anyways, Karen went and so did Bill's daughter, Jill. Karen was so amazed she kept raving about it. :D (Karen has never even see the movie, so TLKoB was so new to her, even the story) Jill liked it, but she told my mom "It's all black people." And my mom told her, "Well it's supposed to be set in Africa." And then I said, "Well not all the actors on the stage are black, and so what if they are?" And then Jill said it looked like the theater was full of lesbians... o_O I seriously don?t think the theatre was full of lesbians, and so what if it was? Sheesh. -_- (How would she notice though? The theatre is so full of people and everyone is talking) :p Anyways I'm glad Karen really liked it... Their seats were right next the where the elephant comes done the isle. I still wish my mom could of saw it though... I looked for those tickets for my mom and Bill... I looked at every night the show was playing to find the best two seats together that were still available. Oh well. I did want to buy back those tickets from Bill and sell them, but at least they didn't go to waste.

Anyways! Tomorrow Eric (Vidan) and I are going to go to the airport to pick up Tim (Lion_King_300) from the airport... I can't wait! Going to San Francisco on Friday morning, then we see TLKoB in San Jose at 8:00 pm!!!! (With my other friend too) :D

Lion_King_300
February 23rd, 2006, 08:06 AM
That's too bad that your mom didn't get to see it, but it's good that someone else was able to enjoy it for the first time.

Tomorrow's going to be a long day for me - I have to register for classes at 5:30 AM then attend a public debate for my communications class then go straight to the airport!

But I've been looking forward to this trip for months now... it's going to be the best birthday ever :cheese:

I'll be sure to take some pics to share with everyone when I get back like I always do.

See you tomorrow (well actually in about 16 hours) Sharifu!!!

Zaya
February 23rd, 2006, 06:49 PM
Who's that Jill! I'm gonna have a serious conversation with her about black people! ;) :lol:

nathalie
February 25th, 2006, 11:39 AM
The Lion King musical is also moving to China, Shangai !

The premiere is planned for July, and will probably make 100 shows.
It'll be an international production with 52 cast members from 12 different country's.

The Walt Disney Co. announced its award-winning musical THE LION KING will open at Shanghai?s Grand Theatre on July 18, 2006, and play for 100 performances.

The production coming to Shanghai has most recently been playing to sold-out audiences in Australia. The international cast, with 52 performers from 12 countries, includes eight performers from South Africa. It takes 136 people to put the show on every night and the physical set will travel to Shanghai in two specially commissioned 747 air freighters.

source (http://news.awn.com/index.php?ltype=top&newsitem_no=16200)

-------------------------------

Great, now there are 2 more broadway cd's to get, France and China :cheese:

haha *lol*

Lion_King_300
February 26th, 2006, 04:34 AM
Hey everyone! Just got back from the trip to San Jose where I went to see TLKOB on my 20th birthday with Lea members Sharifu (Audra) and Vidan (Eric). I have to go to work in a couple minutes but I uploaded a few pics from the theatre for your viewing pleasure!

http://students.washington.edu/tim300/SJgroup.jpg
All three of us in front of the theatre (from L to R lion_king_300, Sharifu, Vidan)

http://students.washington.edu/tim300/SJtheater.jpg
A shot of the theatre, the San Jose Center for Performing Arts, from across the street. Notice the large trailer in the foreground that I haven't seen at any other touring productions except this one!

http://students.washington.edu/tim300/wallacesmith.jpg
We stayed afterwards and waited by the stage door for autographs, and our first score was Wallace Smith, the fantastic actor that played Simba! (Yes that's him Hasira_Kali) and he was kind enough to let me get a picture with him. He was very nice and accomodating to our requests, and he was one of my favorite actors in the show.

http://students.washington.edu/tim300/larryyando.jpg
My other favorite actor, Larry Yando plays a magnificently evil Scar. He probably has the most acting experience of anyone in the cast and has won numerous awards. It was a treat to meet him and get this photograph.

I will have a TON more pics to come, of San Francisco and also the SF Zoo where we saw the big cat feedings and I was able to see real lions up close for the first time ever!

I have to go now, but a HUGE shout out of Thanks to Eric for driving me around for the last couple days, you're a really awesome guy, very nice and down-to-earth, it was a pleasure to meet you, talk TLK stuff, and hang out in the bay area.

And also to Audra for inviting me in the first place, it was the best birthday present I could have ever gotten just to spend time with you guys and see TLKOB from the 2nd row... a dream come true.

:)

Thanks to both of you for making my birthday extra sweet, one that I will never forget.

I'll post more tomorrow,

Tim

lion_king_300:hugs:

Sadiki
February 26th, 2006, 04:55 AM
hehe, thats so great Tim ;) I heard that you had great times from Audra :p
It must have been way better then my 20th was. ( by not forgetting that my 21st was compleat disaster )

HasiraKali
February 26th, 2006, 04:59 AM
*drools all over the Wallace pic* :lol: I am so waiting at the stage door. :lol:

Edit: And Mr. Yando too. <.< >.>

Sharifu
February 26th, 2006, 05:06 AM
Wallace is really nice. :) I didn't take any pics with him, but I was happy I got autographs. I actually wanted to have them sign a poster I bought, but didn't have time to unroll it after the show, so I had them sign the front of my program. Eric and I went back today after the 2 pm showing so they could sign my poster. Wallace said to me, "Weren't you here yesterday?" And I like "Yeah, but I really wanted you guys to sign my poster and I wasn't able to unroll it in time." :p (Since it was hard paper and after the night of the show we didn't get too many autographs.) But he didn't mind at all signing my poster and he said it was great we came back, hehe. I'll post more about this awesome time we had and more pics later. ;)

HasiraKali
February 26th, 2006, 05:08 AM
They're going to be sick of me. :lol: I can't wait. :evilgrin:

Zaya
February 26th, 2006, 09:31 AM
Yey, you guys remind me of me, when I realized you're allowed to wait at the stage door (like I discovered fire or something :lol:)...I didn't have luck back then :(...but oh well, luck sooner or later came...:evilgrin:

Audra, It's totally cool he remembered you guys ;)

Wallace pic: A mobile and water - sooo typical...like their very own signs to say, I'm in a hurry, I might not have time...and when you stop them, they're really happy about it and totally friendly :lol:

HasiraKali - Make sure you get your paws on that boy! ;)

nathalie
February 26th, 2006, 10:42 AM
Hopefully we get to see something BS in London aswell

Zaya
February 26th, 2006, 12:27 PM
Are you joking Nathalie? You'll have so many pics you won't be able to stick them all up here :lol: :evilgrin:...but where's August...uh oh...:(

And besides, London Scar - nice, London Simba - yummy (you know that already ;)), London Nala - soooo cute and some other members of the Ensemble and Swing - OMG ;) :lol: And all of them freakishly nice!!=D

nathalie
February 26th, 2006, 01:08 PM
Hehe ... there she goes again ... :p *lol*

I should be able to take 1.400 pictures by that time *yay* hehe

Zaya
February 26th, 2006, 01:27 PM
Awwwww :alone: ...I told you there might not be a cure for me and that my situation won't get any better after I return from London :lol: Well, beware, It got worse :p

Don't worry bout me :hakuna: I'm perfectly fiiiiine, like Scar! :wicked:

And uh, be good to me, I can always tell them to come out at some other door while you'll be standing at the stage one :jejeje: bwahahaha
Me, Zaya the allmighty!!! sure,mhm...dream on ;)

1400 pics?!?! You sure did some calculating...did you buy a 1G card? And just in case you didn't know, you can make some more if you take pics in black and white - more pics and better looking people (B&W rules!!)

anyway - back on topic guys!!

Sharifu
February 26th, 2006, 11:38 PM
I have to go now, but a HUGE shout out of Thanks to Eric for driving me around for the last couple days, you're a really awesome guy, very nice and down-to-earth, it was a pleasure to meet you, talk TLK stuff, and hang out in the bay area.

Yeah totally, thank you so much Eric! I don't know what we would of done without you! :hugs: I had so much fun with you guys.

Well Tim even gave me some gifts, I guess for letting him stay at my place. (Now that I have a nice digital camera I like to take pics)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/birdygirl85/Gifts.jpg
He gave me a little green vase for flowers, a TLKoB Nala plush and the Japanese TLKoB cast CD (that he burned for me). Also not in the pic, he gave me a DVD of the episode of Wheel of Fortune that he was on. We watched it on Friday night, once we came home from the show. (We bought and had some ice cream too!) He sure did win a lot of money! :gasp: Anyways, that's so cool! And Tim that was really nice you gave me all of that stuff, I was really not expecting that. And as you all know Tim's birthday was on Friday. A long time ago, I remember chatting with him about The Lion King Celebration, which is The Lion King Parade that was at Disneyland during 1994 though 1997. (I saw it twice during the summer of 1994 and I remember it quite well.) Anyways, I was talking to Tim how there is a VHS of it, and that I have it. And he said he should look it up on Ebay. So I actually ended up buying a copy on Ebay and I was going to give it to him for his birthday. But then later, we were both bidding on the same shirt, (we talked about it and I let him win it) and I looked at his feedback, and found out that he already bought that VHS! I saw that he buys lots of TLK things on Ebay, so I decided I'll put draw and hand color a picture for him. I didn't get the chance though, I was so busy working and doing school work a few days before he came. (He knows that though I told him, and I also told him I'll send him a drawing)

That was on Thursday night, all we pretty much did was go to the mall that had a Disney store and got something to eat.

Then Friday came, the big day. :D We got up around 9:00 am and went to San Francisco. First we went to China Town, looked around and in some shops, and ate some Chinese food for lunch. :cheese: Then we went to the San Francisco Zoo. The main reason I thought of going there was because there is a big cat feeding at 2:00 pm where you can be close to the lions and tigers while they are eating. (In these areas that are caged in) Took a lot of pictures! Maybe I'll post them later. After that we pretty much went to San Jose, we were going to go to the Golden Gate Bridge and down Lombard Street, but we ran out of time. We took a while to find parking, and a place to eat that was near the theatre. But we did eat at a pasta place near the theatre for dinner. We pretty much were hanging out in front of the theatre until my friend could come because she was seeing the show with us too. (Muruwa) (http://leahalalela.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=36) :p Once she came, we went to the Gift Shop. I saw this TLKoB shirt on display I never saw before and I liked it, so I bought it. :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/birdygirl85/Shirt.jpg
I liked it how it showed the actual actors in their costumes and the puppets, since all other TLKoB shirts I?ve seen only have the logo on it. I didn?t know if I should of bought a poster at the time? To have the actors sign. I think Tim was planning to do that at first but he changed his mind. (He just decided to have them sign his program) It was really awesome to be that close to the stage. To see everything so up close. I was on the isle where the rhino comes down and Tim and Eric where telling me to rub the rhino. :haha: So when the rhino was coming down I was thinking, should I do it?! And I did. :lol:

Sharifu
February 26th, 2006, 11:39 PM
(I had to double post, the post is too long)

At the end of the show, I did decide I wanted the actors to sign a poster. So I got in line and bought a TLKoB poster, and my friend Muruwa (I don?t know if she wants me to mention her real name) bought the soundtrack. It was her first time seeing it and I?m glad she liked it! I?m glad she could of gone. She couldn?t really stay after with us to get autographs and I said bye to her and off Tim, Eric and I went to the stage door. I wanted the actors to sign my poster, but as I said in an earlier post, I didn?t have time to unroll it and have it stay flat. So I had them just sign the front of my program. It seemed like quite a few people were leaving but I did catch Wallace while he was walking away! Tim said if I wasn?t going to say anything he was. :p We also got Phil Fiorini (Pumbaa) He was really nice, even telling us that Timon was coming. ;) So we got Damian Baldet, (Timon) and then Larry Yando which was totally great, he is such a great Scar. And we got a few signatures from the ensemble. Pic is blurry, but you get the idea:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/birdygirl85/Program.jpg

When we left, I was kind of disappointed that I bought the poster and didn?t have them sign it. I felt like I wish I didn?t buy the poster? XD But then later Eric suggested going back to the theatre on Saturday, so to have them sign my poster and get more people to sign it. (Too bad Tim couldn?t stay that day with us, but he had to be at the airport around the afternoon because Eric had to go see this house he was interested in at 1:20 pm, I went with him) Anyways, I remembered there was a showing at 2:00 pm on the weekends, so we went to the stage door about 10 minutes before the show ended.. (And before the show, I bought a heavy piece of card board and taped my poster down so the actors can sign it.) So I was ready this time. :D I got more of the main characters that day, including Rufus Bonds (Mufasa), Zazu, even though he was the understudy (he didn?t do a bad job) I think he was Mark David Kaplan, Melvin Abston (Banzai) and Ta?rea Campbell (Nala)!!!! Yaaaaay! I also got Wallace Smith (Simba) and Damian Baldet (Timon) to sign my poster again. Unfortunately though, Larry Yando (Scar) and Phil Fiorini (Pumbaa) didn?t come out of the stage door that day. But I?m happy I got as much people to sign my poster as I did. Here?s a pic:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/birdygirl85/Poster.jpg

And I took a pic of the theatre and the trailer too, and it?s during the day so I decided to take them (since it would be easier to see):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/birdygirl85/Theatre.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/birdygirl85/Trailer.jpg

Well that?s pretty much what I wanted to tell and show you guys. What a fun few days I had? Like a mini vacation. :p

And you know Zaya and Nathalie? I?m planning to see TLKoB in London with you guys too. ;) (With STM) Tim said I should see TLKoB in Paris while I?m there? Never really thought of that. I wouldn?t mind to, but I don?t really know. I don?t know any French, but it?s not like I need to understand the language to understand what?s going on. ;)

HasiraKali
February 27th, 2006, 03:00 AM
Note to self: Pack extra underpants. :lol: I am going to squee so much I'll definatly need them. What other stuff did they have at the souvenier booth? :D Totally getting that shirt. ;)

Lion_King_300
February 27th, 2006, 05:27 AM
Wow Audra! That's so great you got all those autographs on that Poster, it looks awesome! If I had been able to stay that extra day I would have gone down and done the same thing. And thanks so much for offering to draw something for me, that's so kind of you. No rush, whenever you have the time. That will mean a lot to me because it's a very personal gift :)

Anyway I have a lot more pictures to share from the trip so here they are! Sharifu did a great job of narrating the events of the trip so I don't need to add on too much more detail.

http://students.washington.edu/tim300/sanjose/SF/chinatown.jpg
SF's Chinatown is the largest in the country. Being that it is a major tourist attraction, it reminded me of walking around Manhattan because of the little shops where you could buy inexpensive souvenirs and all sorts of other unique things.

http://students.washington.edu/tim300/sanjose/SF/lion_sculpture.jpg
A very beautiful white lion sculpture found in an antiques shop in Chinatown. I looked at the price tag and it was blank!

http://students.washington.edu/tim300/sanjose/SF/cablecar.jpg
SF's most famous mode of transportation, the cable car.

http://students.washington.edu/tim300/sanjose/SF/transamerica.jpg
At 853 feet, and built in 1972, the Transamerica building is the tallest commercial structure in SF.

http://students.washington.edu/tim300/sanjose/SF/gaypride.jpg
This huge rainbow flag was flying in the center of the "Gay capital of the world," SF's Castro District.

http://students.washington.edu/tim300/sanjose/SF/nicehouse.jpg
A nice house in the upscale area of SF on top of a hill.

http://students.washington.edu/tim300/sanjose/human/vidan.jpg
Eric with Audra's Balto plushie. Audra has the cleanest room, it makes mine look like a cyclone hit it. Or maybe three cyclones.

http://students.washington.edu/tim300/sanjose/human/audra_eric.jpg
Audra and Eric in front of the theatre

http://students.washington.edu/tim300/sanjose/human/audra_tim_theater.jpg
I still couldn't believe we were here at last, after months and months of waiting!

More coming in the next post, some close-up lion pics and movies!

Lion_King_300
February 27th, 2006, 05:52 AM
Here are some pictures from the San Francisco Zoo. We basically went to see the "Big Cat Feedings" at 2pm where they take all the lions and tigers into their cages and feed them animals... today's lunch was rabbits.

Believe it or not, this was actually the first time in my memory I had ever seen a real life lion up close so it was a great experience for me.

http://students.washington.edu/tim300/sanjose/zoo/lion_eating.jpg
A hungry lion tearing away at his rabbit, poor little guy. Life at the top of the food chain is good!

http://students.washington.edu/tim300/sanjose/zoo/lion.jpg
This handsome fellow relaxes after his meal

http://students.washington.edu/tim300/sanjose/zoo/lioncub.jpg
A really cute lion cub with sparkling blue eyes, has just finished her meal.

http://students.washington.edu/tim300/sanjose/zoo/angrylioness.jpg
I don't know whether she was camera shy or overprotective of her food, but she growled at me!

http://students.washington.edu/tim300/sanjose/zoo/lioness.jpg
An outdoor shot of a lioness waiting to be called inside for lunch

http://students.washington.edu/tim300/sanjose/zoo/lion_outside.jpg
This older lion seen basking in the warm SF sun is the father of the younger lion from the earlier pictures. Long live the King!

http://students.washington.edu/tim300/sanjose/zoo/tiger_outside.jpg
For you tiger fans, here is a playful Siberian having fun with a branch from an overhanging tree. There was a very humorous sequence that we saw with another tiger where one was resting underneath a bush and the other tiger was trying to get him to move, and no matter what he did the tired tiger wouldn't budge, so he jumped up on top of the bush and it startled his friend and he was up in a flash. It was really funny to watch, I wish I captured a movie of it but I didn't.

http://students.washington.edu/tim300/sanjose/zoo/penguins.jpg
Just outside of the lion exhibit was this group of Magellanic penguins also being fed. Some were quite greedy and stole each other's allotment of fish, but they all had to be aware of the seagulls that swooped down and stole the fish that got away.

http://students.washington.edu/tim300/sanjose/zoo/zebra_stork.jpg
From the arctic to the African Savanna, here is a young zebra with a stork in the background.

http://students.washington.edu/tim300/sanjose/zoo/audra_tim.jpg
Audra and I posing for a snapshot in the Lion House exhibit.

And I also shot two short film clips of the lions in their cages if anyone would like to see, here they are:

Lion (http://students.washington.edu/tim300/sanjose/zoo/lion_movie.MOV)
Lionesses (http://students.washington.edu/tim300/sanjose/zoo/lioness_movie.MOV)

Sharifu
February 27th, 2006, 09:41 AM
What other stuff did they have at the souvenier booth? :D Totally getting that shirt. ;)

Hmm... I don't think I saw anything new besides that shirt. Did you notice anything else Tim? You've seen the show with the touring cast before right HasiraKali? Kind of curious, and I'm not sure if I've asked you this before, so forgive me if I ask again, but how many times have you seen TLKoB and where? I'm just wondering since you're hard core TLKoB fan hehe. I've seen it four times now. All the same cast, but in different cities each time.

Wow Audra! That's so great you got all those autographs on that Poster, it looks awesome!

Yeah hehe, it was also quite funny going back... Because right after Wallace signed my poster and left, these "Valley Girls" =P (what Eric called them, haha) came up to us, and said "Omg was that Simba?!" And they asked us, "What way did he go?!?!" And I said, "I don't know..." And then they were saying, "Sh*t!" (Because they missed their chance to meet Simba) *lol* Then I asked them, "Do you live around here?" And they said "Yes" So I told them they could come back to meet Wallace after that night's showing or the next day. But they just kept swearing. =P They even grabbed Mark, and said, "Omg are you Zazu?!" And they he said "Yes" And they started screaming and jumping up and down. *lol* I didn't even know that was Zazu, so maybe if the girls weren't there I wouldn't of noticed. He was really nice and even I saw Ta?rea (Nala) walk out of the door and I thought I was going to miss her cuz she was walking fast and Mark was standing with us, and I said, "Ohhhh is that Nala?" (I recognized her face) And Mark said "Yeah" and he called her over. ^^ And then I said to her, "I have to have you sign my poster, Nala is my favorite TLK character!" Then Melvin (Banzai) said, "Oh thanks, that makes me feel better!" *lol* Then I said to him, "Oh but I love the hyenas I really do! I think the hyena puppets are one of the neatest puppets in the show." And then he said, "Oh I'm just kidding." And then I said, "But I really do like the hyenas!" I wonder if he believed me. =P (Actually I could tell he was Banazi, because I saw him inside before he washed his make up off, and I even told Eric, "That guy must be Banazi." And I was right. :D It was fun when those girls where talking to Mark, they asked him, "Is it hard to get all that make up off?" And he said "Do I still have blue in my ears?" And he did hehe. And the girls, and Eric and I talked to Damian (Timon), and they asked him to talk in his Timon voice. Hehe it was cute. =P And I remember they asked him if they watched the movie a lot to get into the characters, and he said that actually are told not to act like the movie characters. It was just fun to talk to them. I really admire them for their amazing talent.

And thanks so much for offering to draw something for me, that's so kind of you. No rush, whenever you have the time. That will mean a lot to me because it's a very personal gift :)

No problem! I want to! Originally, I was thinking of drawing you a birthday card with Mufasa and cub Simba, because they are in your banner. But then I was thinking today, why don?t I just draw you a pic of your favorite TLK character? That seems like a better idea! Just tell me who you would like me to draw. :) (I wont make it birthday themed unless you want it to.) I just thought you might like the idea of your favorite TLK character drawn in my style.

And wow, you sure did get a lot of great pics of San Francisco!

Eric with Audra's Balto plushie. Audra has the cleanest room, it makes mine look like a cyclone hit it. Or maybe three cyclones.

:lol: That's because I cleaned it before you came. ;) I try to keep it clean though. =P Btw Tim, you need to see Balto some time.

Sharifu
February 27th, 2006, 09:42 AM
We basically went to see the "Big Cat Feedings" at 2pm where they take all the lions and tigers into their cages and feed them live animals... today's lunch was rabbits.

Don't worry... The rabbits were already dead. =P This one lady at the zoo asked me what they were eating, and I said, "Rabbits" and she said, "Oh man I can't take this." :lol: Makes me wonder if she has any pet rabbits.

I don't know whether she was camera shy or overprotective of her food, but she growled at me!

Yeah, she growled at me too after I took a pic of her! Twice actually! And it scared me both times, even though you know she's behind bars, it's still pretty startling.

There was a very humorous sequence that we saw with another tiger where one was resting underneath a bush and the other tiger was trying to get him to move, and no matter what he did the tired tiger wouldn't budge, so he jumped up on top of the bush and it startled his friend and he was up in a flash. It was really funny to watch, I wish I captured a movie of it but I didn't.

I got a picture of that! :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/birdygirl85/Tiger.jpg

And those penguins, are just adorable! I just think penguins are so cute! (But I think lots of birds are cute, I love birds) ;)

I?ll post a few of the lions pics I took, I think these are the best I took.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/birdygirl85/Lion.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/birdygirl85/Lioness1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/birdygirl85/Lioness2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/birdygirl85/Lioness3.jpg

(These pics were all taken after the cats were done eating)

Cool videos Tim! And your camera can zoom up a lot farther then mine can.

I already miss TLKoB. :( :lol: Yesterday was it?s last day in San Jose. I wish I would of saw it twice while it was here, but it?s ok, I?m already planning my next time to see it, this August in London.

SIMBAtheENIGMA
February 27th, 2006, 10:22 AM
That is soooooo Awesome :D :bleen: Man I wish so bad that I could'a chimed along *hehe* :cheese: Looks like you all had a killer of a time! TLKoB was awesome, though Id love to see it in another country ^^ :p. I think I know what im saving for... a trip to see you guys! :browlift: if thats alright of course =D

Great pictures! Loved em, and excellent narrating. Anywho, i could blab on for moons about how fun that must'a been... but Im tiered! Anywho! Thanks for sharing :ayecapn:

HasiraKali
February 27th, 2006, 02:24 PM
Mags! I love Mags. :D They're such sweet penguins. I got to play with one of Friday. Twas awesome. :lol:
Alas, I have only seen TLKoB once. But it was such a big deal to me, I pretty much memorized the whole thing while we were sitting there. :loL: I think I've said before that I cried before I even sat down. But I did see it with most of the original cast. I didn't see Heather Headley or Sam Wright since Heather had moved on to Aida at the time and Sam was only doing matinees for some reason. But I did see Jason Raize and Tom Robbins (from whom I bought a whole bunch of stuff from on eBay ;) ) I'm seeing it in 44 days though. :D I'm so excited. I've already put my no spending rule into place so I can buy all the stuff at the booth. :lol: And I'll be getting other souveniers as well. ;)

nathalie
February 27th, 2006, 02:45 PM
Anyone going to see it again in New York?

HasiraKali
February 27th, 2006, 03:23 PM
If I go to New York in June to see Lestat, TLK is also on my list of stops. ;)

nathalie
February 27th, 2006, 03:50 PM
Oooh, you might be able to see if they still have that Japanese CD there? *blush*

HasiraKali
February 27th, 2006, 04:58 PM
:lol: Nath's motives are revealed. ;) If I go, I will check for you. :)

nathalie
February 27th, 2006, 05:22 PM
Euhm, well ... I can't help it :(

But thanks, would be awesome if you could check it :cheese:

Lion_King_300
February 27th, 2006, 05:37 PM
Hmm... I don't think I saw anything new besides that shirt. Did you notice anything else Tim?

I saw a few new things, that weren't at the Portland traveling production last September. The TLKOB charm bracelet, which went for $20, had charms of the logo and all of the character's masks on it, I was going to get it but decided to see if it went for cheaper on Ebay, but it doesn't look like it: Here's a link to one in auction

Lion King charm Bracelet (http://cgi.ebay.com/DISNEY-LION-KING-CHARM-BRACELET-GOLD-JET-NYC-BROADWAY_W0QQitemZ8906838339QQcategoryZ52564QQssPa geNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting)

And what a funny story about getting the autographs, looks like you had a lot of fun. I would have liked to ask the actors some questions and interact with them but it was already really late and I figured an autograph and a picture was enough of their time. And I'm glad you got a good pic of the tigers that was so cute!

And ironically while I was away I received the TLKOB watch in the mail... and I've never ever seen this at the Traveling gift shop either, and I don't remember seeing at the New Amsterdam! Paid $26 for it, probably a lot less than retail. It's really nice with a gold and silver plated metal band.

http://students.washington.edu/tim300/watch.JPG

The scarf is fairly new, that might have been at Portland but I'm not sure. That's really all I remember, but there were a few things like the beanie hat with logo that weren't at the gift stand before but have been around for a long time and they were being sold at San Jose for some reason.

HasiraKali
February 27th, 2006, 06:14 PM
That bracelet is cool. :) I shall get it. :lol: I'm tempted to just get it right now on ebay there but then shipping would make it just as much. I saw those watches at the New Am when we saw the show. They had that version and another one with a leather band, which is the one I got. The face and everything looks exactly the same though.

Lion_King_300
February 27th, 2006, 06:49 PM
Oh yeah, one more thing that surprised me - the Souvenir programs (the fold-out one with the full-color pictures) is now $20! It used to be only $10 for the longest time... but now it comes with a "sampler" CD from the soundtrack with five songs on it, which of course we all have already, so we're being asked to pay $10 more for nothing.

$20 for a program is a little ridiculous! IMO, the best deal at the gift shop is the beach towel for $20. It is really high quality and it's HUGE (it's like 3 feet by 5 feet)

But for you Amanda the best deal would be a free picture and autograph with Wallace Smith, right? 43 more days... :gasp:

HasiraKali
February 27th, 2006, 07:47 PM
But for you Amanda the best deal would be a free picture and autograph with Wallace Smith, right? 43 more days... :gasp: [/B]

Exactly. :lol: I'll probably go crazy and buy a bunch of stuff I don't need anyway. I'm awful.

Sharifu
February 28th, 2006, 02:58 AM
Originally posted by SIMBAtheENIGMA
a trip to see you guys! :browlift: if thats alright of course =D

Of course that's alright Geroge! :)

Mags! I love Mags. :D They're such sweet penguins. I got to play with one of Friday. Twas awesome. :lol: ;)

Wow lucky! I want to play with one! :lol:

Wow HasiraKali, now I do remember you saying that you saw TLKoB with Jason Raize in the cast. (That's pretty cool you saw most of the original cast) You're pretty lucky. When did yo go? So it must of been a long time since you saw TLKoB.

I wish I could of had more time to look at what was at the gift shop, but I was in a hurry after the show since we wanted to get autographs. But that shirt really caught my eye. :D

And I agree with you Tim, $20 for a program is a lot. I think it's silly that it comes with the sampler CD. Because people seeing the show for the first time will already hear all the songs when they watch the show, (or already have it like us, even though we've seen it quite a few times already) and I think most people buy the soundtrack CD after seeing the show. I did the first time and so did Muruwa.

HasiraKali
February 28th, 2006, 03:03 AM
We went back in 2000 or so. Programs for most shows have been increased to $20. It's weird. :hmm: The one I have from NY was $15.

SIMBAtheENIGMA
February 28th, 2006, 08:30 PM
From memory the programs in Australia were only $10 AUS... or maybe $15 :confused:

Thanks Audra ^^

Sharifu
March 1st, 2006, 06:53 AM
A day or two after the show, this 14 year old boy, named Louie asked me how the show was. (He's been living here at my dad's place with his mom and sister, a long story) Anyways, he told me that his friend's mom had front row tickets to TLKoB when it was in San Francisco, and his friend didn't want to go. :gasp: (But his mom made him) I was like, "Whaaaa?" Then I said, "Well why did his mom buy tickets in the first place?" Then Louie told me his neighbors gave it to them, because they were moving. (Or something like that) Then I said, "Man she should of sold them! I wish someone would give me free TLKoB tickets!" :lol: (And front row too!) I did ask Louie what his friend thought about TLKoB after seeing it, and he just said it was ok.

simba2662
March 6th, 2006, 10:18 AM
Just found this Med quality broadway comercial. Think its in Dutch but im not sure. You can here parts of The Circle of Life in the different language ;) Sounds Great

http://www.kampioen.nl/published/kmp/content/binairebestanden/TheLionKing-59521_59533.mpg

Sharifu
March 8th, 2006, 09:04 AM
That's an awesome commerical!

And yeah it's Dutch. ;)

Zaya
March 18th, 2006, 10:21 AM
I remembered there was this Broadway page:

http://www.broadway.com/gen/show.aspx?SI=1263#

and that there's a long video thingy there...

Probably you've seen it, but anyway.

HasiraKali
March 19th, 2006, 04:38 PM
It's getting so close I taste it. The Simba sweat that is. :lol:

Sharifu
March 20th, 2006, 08:18 AM
Zaya I've never seen that page before or that video! Thanks for that it was awesome! The more TLKoB videos the better!!! Mwhaha! :evilgrin:

Ewwww HasiraKali tasting Simba sweat... :lol: Haha.

unregistered user
March 20th, 2006, 09:12 AM
More then 900 post of reply in this topic.
I do think we really need a new forum for The Lion King on Broadway ;), Just a suggestion ;).

Vidan
March 20th, 2006, 10:29 AM
Considering they're spaced over more than two years, I'm not sure it's necessary. We did consider sub-forums within Everything The Light Touches for each film, as well as the Broadway show, but most of the topics in ETLT seem to be of a general nature, and ETLT isn't nearly as busy as Scar's Lair.

HasiraKali
March 20th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Since it's sort of on topic ;) There's a TLKoB forum Here (http://www.musicalfans.net/forums//index.php?showforum=93). :)

And it's getting closer. I am so freakin' excited. :lol:

unregistered user
March 21st, 2006, 06:23 AM
Now I'm understand Vidan :). Talk about the busiest topic in ETLT :idiot:

imported_Rafiki
March 31st, 2006, 10:33 PM
Thought I could share some of the pictures I made when I saw the German show last autumn. It was so awesome I can't find the words to describe it! Why... the German translation bothered me a bit but who cares!

Here's the merchandise shop. I took a picture because of the huge Scar mask (which wasn't for sale...:rolleyes:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v412/Rafiki/Hamburg-OstseeOkt.jpg

This is the complete German cast on stage.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v412/Rafiki/79636fdd.jpg

nathalie
March 31st, 2006, 10:37 PM
Ooooh, those merchandise thinggy's :cheese:

Lion_King_300
April 1st, 2006, 03:47 AM
Great pictures Rafiki, thanks for sharing! Looks like they had some stuff there not available in the U.S. - I don't recognize that red book to the right of Scar's Mask or the thing directly underneath it.

Was the translation really that different, can you remember any examples?

What I would give to own that mask...

:evilgrin:

nathalie
April 1st, 2006, 09:36 AM
The Dutch translation, in my opinion, is bad, haha.

Can you feel the love tonight:
Can you feel how the love grows, in this jungle night ...

What the? *lol* :lol:

HasiraKali
April 1st, 2006, 05:15 PM
I see a random Phantom movie soundtrack in there under that red book Tim was talking about. :lol:

In other news... 13 days! :D

imported_Rafiki
April 1st, 2006, 06:30 PM
That red book is called "The King of Customers". It's a general book about attending on guests of a musical production (for example in a theatre's restaurant). Don't really know why they're selling it there...

That thing under the mask is a collection of postcards of the theatre and the show.

About the translation: There's no specific verse or something that bothers me just that the creators of the musical changed part of the text of the already existing German songs from the movie. Especially in "He Lives in You" They should have kept the quite good translation of the German SP version of the song.

They also changed the dialog. The dialog in the musical is a direct translation of the English movie lines.

But, don't get me wrong, it was really breathtaking! I just don't have the slightest idea why they did that... :confused:

nathalie
April 1st, 2006, 06:33 PM
*wOOt* HasiraKali haha

HasiraKali
April 2nd, 2006, 06:18 PM
Slightly offtopic but I just noticed it. I love your avatar Rafiki. :lol:

Edit: 12 days! :D

imported_Rafiki
April 2nd, 2006, 08:58 PM
Thank you! :cheese: It's brandnew! ;)

HasiraKali
April 8th, 2006, 07:39 PM
So with opening night rapidly approaching (not fast enough though ;) ), I was wondering if anyone in my area was going to see the show. :) I'm in San Antonio, TX just in case. :p

nathalie
April 9th, 2006, 10:28 AM
You lost me, I thought you were going to see it in New York? *blinks* haha

HasiraKali
April 10th, 2006, 12:26 AM
I wish I was going to New York. :( There's so much up there right now that I want to see (Lestat, Wicked, TLK, Phantom, Ave Q). The tour it coming through and that's what I'm seeing. :)

HasiraKali
April 10th, 2006, 08:15 PM
Sorry for the double post but this is important. :lol: Death by Awesomeness (http://www.cb-pr.com/Images/Lion%20King/LionKing_Production_12.jpg)

soulImbibe
April 11th, 2006, 12:50 AM
Sorry for the double post but this is important. :lol: Death by Awesomeness (http://www.cb-pr.com/Images/Lion%20King/LionKing_Production_12.jpg)

Cool. The other photos they have on there from the Lion King are very nice too.

Sharifu
April 13th, 2006, 10:50 AM

Cool! And to think I met both of them and got their signatures! :cheese: I will cherish that poster!

Wallace was soooo nice hehe.

HasiraKali
April 13th, 2006, 10:32 PM
TONIGHT! :D I hope I keep my nerve and go to the stage door to get some pictures. :) Any suggestions? :lol:

Kiara Serengeti
April 13th, 2006, 10:41 PM
*cries* I want to go to the Houston tour stop, but my parents don't seem willing to shell out $50-100 :tears: I mean, I REALLY WANT TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!! Everyone says it's so awesome! And the soundtrack alone...*dies*

HasiraKali
April 14th, 2006, 05:05 AM
I just got home from TLK. I want to go back and watch it again... right now. :lol: I don't want to wait until next week. I'm really tired though. I guess I was so excited and hyper and now I'm finally coming down from my high. :Ooo: I was so proud of myself because I got through the first part of the opening chant without crying... and then the sun started to rise... and waterworks turn on. I just lost it. The audience was so noisy and I just kept saying "I love you so much. I love you so much," over and over. I bet the poor kid next to me thought I was insane. :lol: We were so close I could see arm hair people. Arm hair. :lol: Wallace Smith... :rawr: He was freakin' awesome. He was also a pretty good dancer. There's one part during "He Lives In You" where Simba just gets all happy or something and starts dancing. Well, the other Simba's I've seen do that part in clips and whatnot have just looked kind of goofy, but Wallace didn't. I aaaaaaaalmost went to the stagedoor. I went around the corner and then chickened out at the last minute. Maybe next time, I'll make it to the door. :lol: I got all kinds of cool stuff that I didn't have (:gasp:) which kind of shocked me. They had cookies shaped like Timon and Pumbaa but I didn't get those since I don't know how long they'd last and I simply can't eat them. :hmm: I know this is all over the place but so am I right now. :lol:

Oh Tim! Did they have the Scar plushie/beanbag when y'all went? ;)

Lion_King_300
April 14th, 2006, 09:14 PM
Wow, that's so awesome HasiraKali!!! That brings back memories of my first time seeing TLKOB... I definitely know about that "high" you described, after waiting and waiting for so long and the night finally comes and goes, I call it "TLKOB withdrawal".

Wallace Smith is great, isn't he? I've seen the show with about four or five different Simbas and he's the best, all things considered. I too cherish the opportunity I had to meet him and get his autograph and picture.

I aaaaaaaalmost went to the stagedoor. I went around the corner and then chickened out at the last minute.

OH NO!!!! Don't chicken out... That is your once-in-a-lifetime chance to meet Wallace Smith and all the other great actors that bring the show to life! Believe me, they would be gratified to see true TLKOB fans ask for autographs, and pictures, etc. It makes it all worthwhile for them and makes them feel like the stars that they are. I know how you feel - it took me until the sixth time I saw the show to go to the stage door, and believe me it was more than worth it, but you have to head out there quickly!

One of these times you should bring a digital camera and take some pictures of the theatre (and of the actors by the stage door) if you have one.

Tell us more, what kind of stuff did you buy from the gift shop? Was it all that you expected it to be, and what was your favorite scene? (I think I have a guess on this one)

Anyway, I'm so happy to hear that you had such a great first TLKOB experience.

And, there are actually no Scar plush beanbags made for TLKOB which is REALLY surprising to me! There are 10 beanbags being sold in total: Simba, Nala, Zazu, Timon, Pumbaa and the five Trickster (the ugly creatures that come out during I just can't wait to be king)

I was also surprised that at San Jose I only saw Adult Simba beanbags and I think... Zazu? They were out of all the other ones or didn't have them in stock... maybe Audra or Eric remember better than I do. The gift stands seemed pretty bare compared to the other touring cities I've seen the show in, but that was probably because we caught the show on the last weekend.

Hope to hear more from you soon!!!

Oh yes... as for suggestions, get to the stage door as quickly as you can after the show ends - some actors try to leave really quickly. Be sure to tell Wallace what a HUGE fan of his you are and remember to get pics and autographs, and even ask him some questions if you want! (From meeting with him in San Jose, he'd be more than happy to answer your questions) I know you're going to be really really excited... lol go to the bathroom before you go the stage door and stay as calm as you can, and try to refer to the actors by their real names rather than their character's names, like Mr. Smith or Mr. Yando.

(Boy was one of the ensemble members surprised when I said, "Thank you very much, Mr. Smith, great job tonight!")

That's about it. Be brave! You can do it!

Kiara Serengeti
April 14th, 2006, 10:19 PM
Sigh. Anyone have $75 they wanna spare? Please? :alone:

HasiraKali
April 14th, 2006, 11:18 PM
It actually wasn't my first time. ;) I saw it in NY a few years ago.

And, there are actually no Scar plush beanbags made for TLKOB which is REALLY surprising to me!

Oh? ;)
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b300/mandalioness/scar.jpg

I also got the shirt with the Scar mask on it that says "I'm surrounded by idiots." and a shirt with the logo on it in silver glitter. My sister bought me the charm bracelet as a thank you for the ticket. :) The program we got as VIP's was the same as the one I got in NY and the other part of it was a pretty cool baseball hat that says "The Lion King" on the front and "VIP" on the back.

The aisles were too narrow for the elephant so one of the back legs was kind of... behind the elephant? It was pretty funny but it was too awesome for me to care. :lol: The actor who played Zazu was awesome. I don't have my Playbill handy so I can't tell you his name off the top of my head. I can't pick a favourite scene because it was all too awesome. CYFtLT seemed a little weak though. I'm not sure what it was exactly. :hmm:

I almost made it though. :lol: I made it into the alley before I freaked out which is farther than I did in NY. We actually saw Mr. Lando crossing the street to the hotel (I know where they're all staying :evilgrin: ) while we were waiting for our ride. My sister was all "GO GO GO! Go ask him for an autograph and I'll take your picture!" But I was all :gasp: I'm going to try to keep my nerves under control and go on Wednesday. :)

Sharifu
April 15th, 2006, 07:47 AM
Ooh HasiraKali it's great to hear your story of seeing TLKoB... I love hearing that from people who see the show. :) I don't really remember what plushies were in San Jose, but Tim's right, there might of not been much stuff there because it was the last weekend it was playing in San Jose. I want to see TLKoB again so much. But I know for sure when I'm seeing it again! :cheese: August 2 in London!!! Yay!!!! (The tickets are bought already)

Lion_King_300
April 15th, 2006, 08:32 AM
:wow: @ the Scar beanbag plush! I've never seen that before, it must have been introduced for the San Antonio run! I haven't even seen that on Ebay either. What an awesome find!

Oh yeah, sorry I forgot you saw the show in New York! But that was quite a long time ago anyways.

Last time I saw the show Zazu was an understudy, Mark David Kaplan I believe, and I don't think he was up to par with the regular guy Derek Hasenstab, who is the actor you probably saw. Derek is so good in manipulating the puppet and balancing his emotions... and he really sounds like Zazu!

LOL you should go to the hotel and get Wallace's room number, and then... oh nevermind.

HasiraKali
April 15th, 2006, 03:57 PM
LOL you should go to the hotel and get Wallace's room number, and then... oh nevermind.

I don't even have the courage to get to the stage door so how am I going to do that? :lol: Wouldn't mind though. ;) I'm so bad. :evilgrin:

Kiara Serengeti
April 15th, 2006, 05:11 PM
Greeeaat. Now I want to go more than ever!!!!! Need money! :p

HasiraKali
April 15th, 2006, 06:35 PM
You might be able to try to get student rush tickets. I don't know if Hobby does that or not but it doesn't hurt to try.

HasiraKali
April 20th, 2006, 11:32 PM
I appologise for the double post but it's somewhat on topic. :) Tim, your PM box is full and someone here is dying to meet you. ;)

I went to the show again last night. Just as awesome. I'm still euphoric as usual. I had a hard time focusing at work this morning though. :lol: I picked up the TLKtM snowglobe and the colouring cards last night. They also had a really cute souvenier sippy cup that I got before I even got into the theater. :lol: And I almost made it to the stagedoor again. I would have too if my dad hadn't pulled up to pick me up right as I was turning the corner. :( He doesn't like the idea of me down there alone at night. Even though there were lots of people down there. I'm going to do it though. I will meet Wallace! :lol:

Oh I've also heard rumours from a very credible source that Mr. Yando is leaving the tour either right before the run here ends or when the run in Tulsa starts. The actor that I've heard is replacing him is a former Phantom. But Yando is a wonderful Scar. :D

Lion_King_300
April 21st, 2006, 03:15 AM
Thanks for letting me know, space is now clear. You got the snowglobe!!! If there's one thing I wish I had but I didn't get it would be the TLKOB snowglobe, it looks so awesome and I think I've seen it on Ebay once in the past six months and it sold for way more than the retail price, I just wasn't willing to put up $40 for it at the time.

Too bad your dad had bad timing last night, good to hear you're determined to make it to the door! Next time.

As for Yando, yes, I suspected this news to be forthcoming. He's getting old and just can't handle the physicality demanded of Scar's role. Even the actors I spoke with in San Jose said that Larry is really in a lot of pain (they made fun of his limp), and he's been with the show for a long time anyways.

He will be sorely missed, hopefully the ex-Phantom will be comparable to Yando, but I highly doubt anyone will be as successful in recreating Scar as he was.

Here's my little tribute to his awesomeness:

http://students.washington.edu/tim300/yando_tribute_small.jpg

Zaya
April 21st, 2006, 08:38 AM
HasiraKali girl, come on, get your booty to that stage door!! There's nothing to loose! You can always pretend you popped there by accident...or you get in that hotel, run around and if you see Wallace, you just bump into him, give him an enormous smile and say..."oh, you're that actor, aren't you!" and everything goes smooth from there on...trust me...I know...(just that I didn't even use that phrase, I kind of gave my best, all over friendly and seducing smile pretending I have no idea who he is...tho I really wasn't that sure :confused: ) they're just people...imagine how you'd react...you'd probably be totally friendly...so will he! :D

HasiraKali
April 22nd, 2006, 12:25 AM
Yeah I'm determined to make it next time. :) And the ex-Phantom guy replacing him is a really good one. His name is Kevin Grey. I haven't heard anything about when he's starting yet but I'm keeping my eyes out. :) Oh :lol: I saw in the Playbill that one of the girls that plays young Nala wants to be a marine biologist at SeaWorld. And that's where I work. I should be like, "Hey, get me backstage and I'll get you backstage with Shamu" ;) Like that would work. :lol:

Zaya
April 24th, 2006, 09:28 AM
Just wanted to ask something...when Sharifu and you guys went to see the musical...did Gugwana Dlamini play Rafiki?

Lion_King_300
April 24th, 2006, 03:46 PM
No, we actually missed her, at our performance Rafiki and Zazu were played by understudies, in this case it was Thabile Mtshali from South Africa. (Gugwana's sister was also understudying as Rafiki in San Jose)

I don't remember too much about her, except for the fact that she added some vocals to the He Lives in You reprise scene that I don't remember hearing in any other performance, which was nice.

I heard reviews saying Gugwana Dlamini is an incredible Rafiki, wish we got to see her. Oh well.

HasiraKali
April 24th, 2006, 05:38 PM
She is really good. :lol: She's got great comedic timing too which is awesome. She's so funny in that first part where she's "drawing" on the inside of her tree. Cracks me up. :lol:

Zaya
April 24th, 2006, 10:56 PM
Yes! She was the best Rafiki I've seen! She used to perform in London and was really amazing and funny yes ;) :) A shame you missed her...

Kiara Serengeti
April 25th, 2006, 02:52 AM
I know it won't be the same, but have there been any thoughts of putting TLKoB on video\DVD like they did for Cats after the end of its run??

HasiraKali
April 25th, 2006, 03:03 AM
I wish they would, but they probably won't. Of course there are less then legal videos available but I understand they're very rare.

nathalie
April 25th, 2006, 05:46 AM
Maybe in a few years ... I think so.

'Cause Disney 'll go like *KA-CHING* haha