PDA

View Full Version : 2034 - end of civilization?

Solid Raven
April 20th, 2005, 08:54 PM
Scietists have recently discovered a huge asteroid which is flying towards are precious earth. They say it will hit us in 2034 (or 2036) and will cause a global climat crisis which means, in short, we will all die.:eww:
I read it in the newspaper yesterday, and I know newspapers are not always to be taken seriously but it was still kinda cool when I read it :evilgrin:

Anyways, what's your opinion on this statement? And even if it is true, what could we do about it to stop it?

Lion King Stu
April 20th, 2005, 08:56 PM
We could all do a dance then maybe it will miss us....or we could ask it nicely to hit another planet or something? :p

I think its BS that will happen...everyone knows the earths gonna turn into icecream and melt

CheshireCat
April 20th, 2005, 09:02 PM
Wow, that's a little freaky. Maybe (if it's true) by that time we could set up something like they did in Armageddon. XD

unregistered user
April 20th, 2005, 09:03 PM
There have been meteors and asteroids, etc, etc that have come close to Earth several other times, several thought they would hit several times, but few did, and those that did, didn't do much damage, the only ones that did are in the gulf of Mexico and in the middle of Arizona I believe.

Still, if you go by the bible it says that a meteor will hit the water and turn almost all of the earth's water to poison, not sure if it is a real meteor or if that word was a metaphor or not. Anyway, interesting topic.

Solid Raven
April 20th, 2005, 09:10 PM
each 30 million years, our earth passes through a higher concentration of stars and other stuff in our solar system. The chance an asteroid will strike us at that point is much higher as normal. Earth has been lucky several times, the moon and especially jupiter have stopped several strikes which could have been fatal. The last big impact was Chixculub, probably the impact that caused the extinction of the dinosaurs (just a theory). I think there is a pretty big chance this is true, but maybe we are again in luck this time... ^^

Banzai
April 20th, 2005, 09:13 PM
omg now im scared lol... yea the bible does say all that stuff about the meteor... im definetly watching the new movie tonight called revelations... and i think im gonna go do some light reading... if the bible can be considered light reading :p

Solid Raven
April 20th, 2005, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Banzai
omg now im scared lol... yea the bible does say all that stuff about the meteor... im definetly watching the new movie tonight called revelations... and i think im gonna go do some light reading... if the bible can be considered light reading :p

good luck with it :D

well, can the bible be taken seriously? Maybe, maybe not.
example: The bible told us the stroy of Noah, well, there could be a source of truth in this story. If you believe the story of atlantis, and agree with all scientific proves that atlantis could have existed, (you should read "Blueprint of Atlantis" once) and therefore, the flood in Noah's story is true (again referring to Blueprint) the bible could be correct at some points.
Still, that won't say anything. Nostradamus predicted the end of the world by 1999 (or was it 2001), which obviously wasn't correct. Although many of his predictions has come true.

Sombolia
April 20th, 2005, 09:53 PM
O_O

STL.. hold me.. :p :lol:

Wolfman Jack
April 20th, 2005, 09:58 PM
It's a possibility that something like this could happen, but don't put to much "stock" in it as they say.

2 Die FR
April 20th, 2005, 10:35 PM
The most prominent theory made by scientists in regards to how we got our moon is that a meteor the size of Mars crashed in to the side of our planet billions of years ago and took a huge chunk of earth into orbit around itself. That being said, I do think that is the most credible theory for how the moon was formed, but I don't really believe we should be worrying about a meteor smashing into Earth and causing the end of civilization as we know it.

It COULD happen, but, you know, a lot of things could happen. I think worrying about the things WE are doing to the planet is more worth our time than worrying about what foreign space objects could do.

unregistered user
April 20th, 2005, 10:41 PM
i gotta say... anytime this tragedy can happen ;)

unregistered user
April 20th, 2005, 10:44 PM
Nostradamus wasn't a writer of the Bible Solid Raven :p

Juniper
April 20th, 2005, 10:45 PM
That's old news, had it all over the news in 2000, they already said it'd miss us by a "safe margin"

Alli
April 20th, 2005, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by Solid Raven
good luck with it :D

well, can the bible be taken seriously? Maybe, maybe not.
example: The bible told us the stroy of Noah, well, there could be a source of truth in this story. If you believe the story of atlantis, and agree with all scientific proves that atlantis could have existed, (you should read "Blueprint of Atlantis" once) and therefore, the flood in Noah's story is true (again referring to Blueprint) the bible could be correct at some points.
Still, that won't say anything. Nostradamus predicted the end of the world by 1999 (or was it 2001), which obviously wasn't correct. Although many of his predictions has come true.

Also, it's also believed that the flood created the polar ice caps. (I think that's what you call it)

HasiraKali
April 21st, 2005, 02:29 AM
This sort of thing confuses me. If you take the Bible literally, the earth is only something like 6,000-10,000 years old. :confused: Yet here are people saying the Bible is literal and then that every some odd million years we have a period when the planet's near a meteor field. O.o That is so contradictory.

Kovster
April 21st, 2005, 02:40 AM
Dude, 2012 is the year of the uknown.

The myan calender which was created uber many years ago, as contiunesuly counted each year till 2012, where it just stops.... now thats freaky imho

Juniper
April 21st, 2005, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by HasiraKali
This sort of thing confuses me. If you take the Bible literally, the earth is only something like 6,000-10,000 years old. :confused: Yet here are people saying the Bible is literal and then that every some odd million years we have a period when the planet's near a meteor field. O.o That is so contradictory.

It makes me laugh when people say they take the Bible completely literally. That would mean God is a sedimentary, igneous, or metamorphic rock formation because he is spoken of as a rock. :p

HasiraKali
April 21st, 2005, 03:04 AM
Originally posted by Kovster
Dude, 2012 is the year of the uknown.

The myan calender which was created uber many years ago, as contiunesuly counted each year till 2012, where it just stops.... now thats freaky imho

A lot of scientists think that's not the case either. They think the Mayans were killed off by the smallpox from Europe before they could finish it. We talked about that in one of my classes today. ;)

HasiraKali
April 21st, 2005, 03:04 AM
Originally posted by pntbll248
It makes me laugh when people say they take the Bible completely literally. That would mean God is a sedimentary, igneous, or metamorphic rock formation because he is spoken of as a rock. :p

Exactly! And a lot of the species on the planet today aren't mentioned in the Bible... so are they figments of our imagination?

unregistered user
April 21st, 2005, 03:09 AM
The Bible doesn't say that the Earth is 10,000 years old, please go and show me the scipture where it says so cause I would seriously love to read it ;)

As for the rock thing *whacks Pnt ont he head with the stick* You know that it's talking about Jesus being the rock that we can stand on, not an actual rock xD

HasiraKali
April 21st, 2005, 03:16 AM
Originally posted by Ravoc
The Bible doesn't say that the Earth is 10,000 years old, please go and show me the scipture where it says so cause I would seriously love to read it ;)

As for the rock thing *whacks Pnt ont he head with the stick* You know that it's talking about Jesus being the rock that we can stand on, not an actual rock xD

It doesn't say it specifically, but based on all the ages of patriarchs and such given, it can't be any older. There's even one scientist who calculated the exact date.
And if the rock is a metaphor for Jesus, why can't other things in the book be as well?

Juniper
April 21st, 2005, 03:18 AM
But ya hafta take the bible literally, or you're going to Hell, Ravoc. It says that Jesus is a rock, so he's a rock.

Burn the heretic!

:p

And the 10,000 year thing was created by a religious leader way way way long ago when he took the names of the geneology given in genesis and the new testament. What he didn't take into account is that in their culture, they may skip a thousand generations if nothing important happened during them (they didn't go for a literal geneology, but were most likely aiming to show how the important people of the bible fell within the bloodline) which is why the new testament and genesis have different geneologies (one's longer than the other). Of course, that isn't fact, I may be completely wrong, but that's considered the general take on it nowadays. I take Genesis as being a poetical description of God's glory, not the literal way it happened; but let's not turn this into a religious debate, to each their own.

HasiraKali
April 21st, 2005, 03:23 AM
but let's not turn this into a religious debate, to each their own.

Yes. Back to the meteor. :D

Juniper
April 21st, 2005, 03:27 AM
I dunno about you guys, but I'd laugh if we were all killed by a large meteor. No one has any sense of humor these days :p

Alli
April 21st, 2005, 03:37 AM

First of all, when it refers to god as a rock, it refers to god, not his son jesus as somebody firm and strong, and charactaristics of something mighty, like if you see mount everest. It's a big hunk of rock that's mighty, strong, and basically, unmovable. So you're right, it's hilarious when people take him as a rock seriously. Second

But ya hafta take the bible literally, or you're going to Hell, Ravoc. It says that Jesus is a rock, so he's a rock.

And the 10,000 year thing was created by a religious leader way way way long ago when he took the names of the geneology given in genesis and the new testament. What he didn't take into account is that in their culture, they may skip a thousand generations if nothing important happened during them (they didn't go for a literal geneology, but were most likely aiming to show how the important people of the bible fell within the bloodline) which is why the new testament and genesis have different geneologies (one's longer than the other). Of course, that isn't fact, I may be completely wrong, but that's considered the general take on it nowadays. I take Genesis as being a poetical description of God's glory, not the literal way it happened; but let's not turn this into a religious debate, to each their own.

No, you don't have to take the bible seriously THAT way. God was giving an illustration to help his readers understand what he was like better. Just like jesus gave illustrations to his hearers and followers so they could get a better knowledge of what he told them.

And pntball, i agree with the year thing. When it talks about the days in the bible in the beginning where the earth and all the things on it were being created, it's talking about one-thousand years, cause in the bible it says a thousand years is one day to god. And nobody's completely sure how long it took god to make the earth and the thigns on it, maybe even more than 1000 years for a day. And you can't base how long the earth's been around on just the bible. The bible wasn't created when dino's were around. They were around for millions of years, maybe more.

*to add to my last thought, it was created talking about 'creatures of land' those could have been dinosaurs. And we don't know how long it was before god made humans after animals and things like that.

unregistered user
April 21st, 2005, 03:49 AM
I agree with your theory on time completely Alli, we share a lot in common it seems, cool beans =)

And Pntbll.... *burns* Ah! I'm melting, melting, melting.... but at least that meteor won't hit me :lol:

Juniper
April 21st, 2005, 04:07 AM
Bah, I absolutely hate it when people omit parts of my posts, takes it out of context. :p I was joking :hakuna:

*Edit*

*Smacks head* now I feel like an ***, guess I read your post wrong, Alli :p

Ah well, Hakuna Matata :hakuna:

unregistered user
April 21st, 2005, 05:07 AM
Bah, I absolutely hate it when people omit parts of my posts, takes it out of context. :p I was joking :hakuna:

hehe, now you know how God must feel when we takes pieces out of the Bible at a time xD ;) :hakuna:

Kovu
April 21st, 2005, 10:49 AM
Duh, defeat Sephiroth, then summon the Holy Materia. ;) :p

Solid Raven
April 21st, 2005, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Ravoc
Nostradamus wasn't a writer of the Bible Solid Raven :p

wel duh, I know that :)
It wast just another example I gave ;)

It's just plain stupid to take the bible literaly imo. But as I said, some parts of it could be "true", or at least, have some kinda source of truth in it.
Anyways, the possibility of a strike is pretty high, and I think our solar system is now passing through the higher concentration of stars etc.
The last big impact was +- 60million years ago (chixculub, which should have caused the extinction of the dinosaurs), that means a strike could happen anytime now (in relative terms of course) If this could happen in 2034... no idea, but it will happen one day.

Merra'sSieria
April 21st, 2005, 02:52 PM
I think... I don't know. Anyway...

AAARRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!! WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!!!!!

Ok. I'm fine now.

Suki
April 22nd, 2005, 02:40 AM
Hopefully, I'll be dead by then.....lol

Xinithian
April 22nd, 2005, 03:09 AM
I've given up caring about the planet, since we've gotten so deep that it's impossible to restore or save it from now. I just hope that the world wont be too bad within my lifetime...

TakaTiger
April 22nd, 2005, 12:12 PM
<sits in a beach chair and waits for it> mmm... kool-aid :evilgrin:

Lion King Stu
April 22nd, 2005, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Kovu

I so agree Kovy then maybe the lifestream will save r butts :cheese:

Ngatuny
April 22nd, 2005, 03:38 PM
There have always been a lot of close encounters and more than a few hits of asteroids with our planet, there are about 4 to 5 close misses every month so no real worries and besides if a truly "world killer" as it is called in the movie 'Armageddon' the governments of the world would probably keep it a secret to prevent mass chaos.

If anyone is interested on this you can check out this website it has info on all kind of Space activity there you can find the "Mar.-Apr. 2005 Earth-asteroid encounters" :gasp:

http://www.spaceweather.com/

unregistered user
April 22nd, 2005, 04:08 PM
2034? that long? blast! ;)

unregistered user
April 22nd, 2005, 04:45 PM
I think I speak for the entire world when i say that this song fits right in here....:

It's the end of the world as we know it! It's the end of the world as we know it! It's the end of the world as we know it! And I feel fine!

Juniper
April 22nd, 2005, 08:20 PM
That's old news, had it all over the news in 2000, they already said it'd miss us by a "safe margin"

;)

nafklt
April 23rd, 2005, 02:54 AM
I just saw that on teh super awesomeness Discovery Channel yesterday and they said that the first near encounter to earth is in 2012-2014 where they'll put land some super awesomeness tracking device on it before it goes behind teh super awesomness sun...;)

TakaTiger
April 23rd, 2005, 01:14 PM
super awsome! :evilgrin:

Nalinda
April 23rd, 2005, 05:24 PM
Papers are always takin' things wrong. But you really dont know.. Lets hope for the best.

Hanshilo
May 17th, 2005, 08:04 PM
Maybe it might burn up in our atmosphere, and turn to a migit rock, or we could build a super dopper enforced shelter that can hold Millions of ppl. i don't know maybe god doesn't like us anymore. not religous just a thought...:p
:cheese:

Nephilim
May 17th, 2005, 08:16 PM
YUSH! This has happened in sooo many films before, they I knew it had to happen sooner or later! =D =D =D

And also, Kovu win!

Originally posted by Kovu

I'll just go give Aerith a call...

W-Eyed-Wanderer
May 17th, 2005, 09:57 PM
I heard it was going to miss us as well...while we're all watching the skies for that the supervolcano in Yellowstone will erupt just to be annoying...
:D