PDA

View Full Version : Wacky Weather creates history in United States

Aurelian
April 20th, 2005, 06:03 PM
Here in Rhode Island, history has been made by the weather today. We are currently setting the record high for this date at 87° (F), over 20° above average. The weather we are experiencing is average for JULY!

The history making thing is that for the first time ever, Rhode Island is the hottest part of the country by over 10°, beating out Florida, Arizona, Texas, and even Hawaii!

unregistered user
April 20th, 2005, 06:18 PM
Finally, a meteorological topic ;) .

Let's not get used to this warm weather just yet, Roquivo. A cool down at week's end.

:eww:

In the meantime, fire up those barbecues... :lol:

TakaTiger
April 20th, 2005, 07:31 PM
its allmost 90 here today >< must have AC! ><

Broken
April 20th, 2005, 07:33 PM
wow! that's pretty bad Good luck in your new found heat!

unregistered user
April 20th, 2005, 07:58 PM
That's not good, it brings my attention back to Global Warming, which despite what many say is a real phenomenon(sp?). When temperatures in the Eastern United States start beating temperatures around the equator, you have a problem...

Storm90
April 20th, 2005, 08:23 PM
It hit around the 80's here and boy it is hot..>.<

This makes me wonder what the weather is gonna be like in July...0_o

ChancellorScar
April 20th, 2005, 10:02 PM
up here in maine was hot from 0900- about 1300, then it got cool, and around 1600 it rained for 10 minutes. very strange. mmm.

Sombolia
April 20th, 2005, 10:05 PM
Lol.. doesn't sound too major to me 'cause it's pretty much always that temp. here :p

Not always, but you get my point.

Aurelian
April 20th, 2005, 10:22 PM
Sombolia, take whatever tempurarure it is now, and add 20&deg; to it. THAT is how I feel. :woeisme:

I didn't even wear a shirt today. I am baking! :thirsty: That's the idea, Nala!

Sombolia
April 20th, 2005, 10:25 PM
:thinks: The temp plus 20 would be about 90, which is pretty much what it is right now at your place :p :lol:

Alli
April 20th, 2005, 10:41 PM
0.o You think YOU are having weird weather? Two days ago it was 80 degrees out here in montana and now suddenly it's about 20 with almost a foot of snow 0.0

2 Die FR
April 20th, 2005, 10:42 PM
California's been getting some weird weather too. We had an extremely wet winter- we got more rain than Seattle Washington this past season, and that's saying something!:horror:
But now things are pretty much back to normal, sunny skies, partly cloudy. Thermometer outside says 75*F, it's been nice all day:cool: Gotta love that California sun!

Alli
April 20th, 2005, 10:51 PM
I do, i do. I love visiting Cali every summer

Xinithian
April 21st, 2005, 12:13 AM
Southern California has had the second wettest season ever recorded this year, which I like...

unregistered user
April 21st, 2005, 12:28 AM
haha.... Hot... for me ... everyday hot in malaysia ;)
sometime 40?C
Example: Yesterday 35?C ;)

unregistered user
April 21st, 2005, 12:38 AM
When it rains here in tennessee, it rains, and rains, and rains, and keeps rainging. It seems to never want to stop.. O_O There was one day when it got really bad, thought it was going to flood because the water was above my ankles, it was like walking through a shallow river that day.

LunarCat
April 21st, 2005, 01:25 AM
let me reiterate(sp?) what Ravoc said, GLOBAL WARMING. caused by greenhouse gases in the atmosphere.

weird weather where i am.....well i guess not really. we always have weird weather here :p

Xinithian
April 21st, 2005, 01:35 AM
I think that global warming is making a change on or environment, but the main reason for wacky weather still is in the weather cycles, not the global warming.

unregistered user
April 21st, 2005, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Lunarcat
let me reiterate(sp?) what Ravoc said, GLOBAL WARMING. caused by greenhouse gases in the atmosphere.

The Earth is kept warm by its atmosphere, which acts rather like a woolly coat - without it, the average surface temperature would be about -18 degrees Centigrade. Heat from the sun passes through the atmosphere, warming it up, and most of it warms the surface of the planet. As the Earth warms up, it emits heat in the form of infra-red radiation - much like a hot pan emits heat even after it's taken away from the cooker.

Some of this heat is trapped by the atmosphere, but the rest escapes into space. The so-called "greenhouse gases" make the atmosphere trap more of this radiation, so it gradually warms up more than it should, like a greenhouse (although a greenhouse actually does this by stopping warm air rising and escaping from it) .

ATTN: West Coast...
Short-term drought concerns have been alleviated in many areas of the Southwest especially southern California, Nevada, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico and Colorado. Preliminary data show the Southwest had its wettest September-February in 110 years of record keeping. Abundant snowpack in the upper Colorado River Basin is resulting in above-normal inflow to the region's reservoirs.

However, with reservoir storages at 17 percent capacity in Nevada and 29 percent capacity in New Mexico, local water supply problems are still possible.

unregistered user
June 14th, 2005, 03:36 PM
Senior research engineer Tim Samaras and Brad Carter intercepted several tornados east of Dodge City, KS on May 7th, 2002. They successfully deployed probes in the path of the oncoming twister and made In-Situ measurements including barometric pressure, wind speed, direction, temperature, relative humidity, and obtained incredible video of this large tornado.

http://www.swiftwx.com/video/tornadoprobes.wmv

unregistered user
June 14th, 2005, 05:22 PM
Sound slike something right out of the movie Twister.

Yeah, Michigan is about to get hit hard by some severe weather *goes to Wal Mart to wait out the storm* xD

IchLiebeNALA
June 14th, 2005, 05:33 PM
well, you've gotta like the film Twister

but yeah, the weather now is seriously screwed up.

in the IK we very rarely get a full week of sunshine. we usually have like 3 days sun, 2 days rain, 1 day sun, 1 day rain, 3 days sun, 1 day rain...

messed up like an a Rolf Harris portrait...

King Simba
June 14th, 2005, 06:40 PM
Believe it or not it's the best part of the day now. It's actually pretty mild and sunny here. It's been dull, dark and miserable all day though.

unregistered user
June 14th, 2005, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Ravoc
Yeah, Michigan is about to get hit hard by some severe weather *goes to Wal Mart to wait out the storm* xD

Yeah, NOAA's SPC/SSL noted that region under Severe Thunderstorm Watch #481, at 1635-2300 UTC.

Go & be safe my friend... :cheese:

IchLiebeNALA
June 14th, 2005, 07:19 PM
yeah, fill him full of confidence why don't you?

QUICK, THERE'S A THUNDERSTORM COMING! LEGGIT INTO THE CLOSEST BUILDING BEFORE NATURE FRIES YOUR ***.

unregistered user
June 14th, 2005, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by IchLiebeNALA
yeah, fill him full of confidence why don't you?

QUICK, THERE'S A THUNDERSTORM COMING! LEGGIT INTO THE CLOSEST BUILDING BEFORE NATURE FRIES YOUR ***.

^ That's probably information that he already knows.

*injects Ich with a coagulum sedative*

There there, there there. :p :lol: ;)

unregistered user
June 15th, 2005, 01:27 AM
Well, the initial storm never hit my hometown, so yay for me =P But.. *looks outside* it seems like another storm is coming fast

Alli
June 15th, 2005, 01:46 AM
It's been getting so hot here, like, 80's now, which kinda stinks. I wish it would just stay in the 60's or 70's so i wouldn't have to be so hot x.x lol

Sombolia
June 15th, 2005, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by Alli
I do, i do. I love visiting Cali every summer

I love visiting it every day.. oh wait, I live here. :browlift:

Weather's been normal lately, typical summer heat :uhno:

EDIT: Well I wish the temp. would just stay in the 80's and not go into the 90's and 100's, but we can't have everything XD

Alli
June 15th, 2005, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by Sombolia
I love visiting it every day.. oh wait, I live here. :browlift:

Lol, funny xD I don't think we'll be able to go to sweet cali this summer though, sadly -.- I really wanted to go to disney land again *pouts* And meet sombolia, if that is possible. Lol, now, back on topic.

*Ahem* Um....How's the weather?

Sombolia
June 15th, 2005, 01:52 AM
offtpic: *cries*

ontopic: Hot, as usual. It's hot right now, and it's almost 7:00. And this isn't even the worst of it, it's gonna get hotter :huh:

Alli
June 15th, 2005, 03:02 AM
It's 8:58 pm right now and it's 73 degrees...*sighs* Good thing i have a cool, air conditioned basement :D

unregistered user
June 15th, 2005, 05:21 AM
Wow! You're quite the weather buff, Alli and/or Sombolia. =9_6= I admire that.

It's nighttime here, and the temperature is telling me not to booze; it's too hot for that shi*. But, my spidy senses tell me to grab some Capt. Morgan Gold.

... Aye, Captain! :lol: ;) :evilgrin:

King Simba
June 15th, 2005, 06:46 AM
Early morning here and I have no idea what the temperature is like outside. One thing I do know though is that it's gonna throw it down with rain later. :grrr:

Azerane
June 15th, 2005, 10:32 AM
Hmm.. it's strange all the different changes in weather, although I don't really understand what sort of temperatures you guys have been having as I don't understand farenheit and I can't translate it (or whatever the word is... mental blank.. convert, that's it) :lol: But we had really strange weather here, it was beautiful spring weather until last week, which is strange because it's winter... then again we were in the longest drought for 100 years :hmm:

Kintaru
June 15th, 2005, 03:42 PM
Heheheh, well lets see, how to get Celcius from Farenheit.

(F-32)(5/9) = C

So if it was 80 Farenheit

(80-32)(5/9) = 26.7 Celcius

=D

Alli
June 15th, 2005, 08:51 PM
It's supposed to rain here in montana, despite the fact it's like, 80 -.- And than it'll be muggy and i'll be annoyed...

unregistered user
June 16th, 2005, 05:01 PM
Poor Florida though... T.S. Arlene gave them too much already ='( . NHC analysis depicts 2 major cyclones possibly this year. Whether or not they make landfall, is in question.

EDIT: Well... at least they're not ill-prepared this time around. :cheese:

King Simba
June 16th, 2005, 05:04 PM
It's actually pretty warm here today. Tomorrow, the expected highs are well into the late 20s or early 30s.

unregistered user
June 16th, 2005, 05:32 PM
Mama...I'd love to see a cyclone. The Genie's neighbour hood sux....[shrugs]

IchLiebeNALA
June 16th, 2005, 06:38 PM
well, i just have something to say to all of you:

You can complain about it being to hot or too cold, too light or too dark, little rain or too much rain.

but when the stuff in my sig happens, and the world gets plunged into another ice age, you wont be able to complain about the weather, because you'll either have died by the laws of Natural Selection, or just froze.

and the weather will be the same. COLD. and i mean Bloody Cold.
Enough to make your underwear freeze to your buttocks.

Wow, now that's cold.

Azerane
June 20th, 2005, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Kintaru
Heheheh, well lets see, how to get Celcius from Farenheit.

(F-32)(5/9) = C

So if it was 80 Farenheit

(80-32)(5/9) = 26.7 Celcius

=D

hehe, ok.... and I'm not gonna remember that! :p

and everyone seems to have been saying how 80 degrees is hot :lol: oh dear... when it gets to 38 degress celcius (no idea how to convert back the other way either ;)) then I might start complaining about it being hot, hehe.

King Simba
June 20th, 2005, 12:07 PM
Flash floods in North Yorkshire (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/north_yorkshire/4109692.stm)

Not too far away from where I am either. :hmm:

Azerane
June 20th, 2005, 12:11 PM
Ooh, flash floods can be quite bad, we had a little bit of flooding in certain areas today because we've just had a huge downpoor of rain all day... and I was outside in it getting cold and wet :p

King Simba
June 20th, 2005, 02:24 PM
Last night around 11pm we had a storm and the rain actually came down like a sheet. Thankfully, I don't live near a river so we don't get many flash floods. :hmm:

W-Eyed-Wanderer
June 20th, 2005, 02:37 PM
The UK's weather has been going a bit nuts...3 bad floods in the last year...

I live near a place called Elgin in Scotland, it's made it on the news twice due to really bad flooding - in 1997 and 2002...we almost had another one last week but the rain stopped. It doesn't affect me or anyone I know but a lot of the town is built on flood plains - sensible stuff!
:hmm:

At the moment its nice and warm and sunny...for the record...

King Simba
June 20th, 2005, 02:41 PM
I live further South to where yesterday's flash floods were. Like I said, we don't get much flooding here. I suppose those who live by the River Don (the local river) will get a few flash floods every now and then. Also, my house is supposed to be built on a flood plain... according to my geography teacher anyways. :hmm: The funny thing is, we haven't seemed to have a bad flood around here which is good.

Anyways, at the moment, it's warm and sunny. That storm we had last night hasn't really seemed to cool things down but I don't mind anyways. ;)

W-Eyed-Wanderer
June 20th, 2005, 02:45 PM
I was watching the ITV lunchtime news about it earlier...my god are those people patronising....but anyway it all looked very messy!

I wonder how many weird weather things we'll get this summer...? Probably even more than last year and there were plenty then.

This is when Scotland suddenly detaches from England and floats off to the North Pole...brrr...
:eek: :p