PDA

View Full Version : Combination???

unregistered user
April 18th, 2005, 02:00 AM
We all know Scar befriended the hyenas so he would have an army to rule the pride lands with, and we all know he lied to the lions about the joining of both groups, however, be that as it may, it seems that the joining of the Lions and the Hyenas would have been "good" so to speak, the pride lands would be at peace (assuming the Outlander's hadn't been formed yet). What's your opinion?

Darkslash
April 18th, 2005, 02:41 AM
I think it was the natural "circle of life" that the hyenas "place" was to be down-and-out scavengers. Scar's version of "a great and glorious union" really threw the CoL out of balance, as evidenced by the destruction of the Pridelands.

Good thread, btw.

soulImbibe
April 18th, 2005, 05:00 AM
Oooh one of those thought-required threads...

I'm with Darkslash about the CoL being off-balance. Lions and hyenas are supposed to be natural enemies, with hyenas usually focusing on their own smaller prey or finding leftovers that the lions did not want. Occasionally it works the other way with lions "stealing" kills from hyenas by their greater show of force. The big picture however is that they wouldn't/shouldn't be content living together "in peace" so to speak. As detailed by Banzai and Shenzi, hyenas considered the lions pushy, hairy, smelly, and ugly, and the lions probably reciprocated similar sentiment.

There seem to be two camps involving the downfall of the Pride Lands after Scar took over. One would be the fact that the lions and hyenas over-hunted the land which caused a depletion of game, combined with a period of drought which in turn reduced game. The other view (based on CotPL) would be that there was no inherent problem with the lions and hyenas cooperating, but that an evil spirit carried within Scar led to their suffering, as the Nisei/gods of rain and such didn't stick around.

I find myself closer to the latter belief, as it seems unreasonable that an ecosystem as big as the Pride Lands wouldn't be able to support a hyena pack in addition to a lion pride. After all, the hyenas from the Outlands / Elephant Graveyard had to get their food from somewhere so they likely just snuck kills from the Pride Lands when they could. Considering that things went downhill from the time Simba left to the time he returned, I don't know of any natural droughts that would last 2+ years... In fact we have to give Disney a little creative license with the time scale because no lioness no matter how crazy would have remained for so long in that desolate wasteland with a tyrannical ruler all the while starving and malnourished. The return of Simba, the rightful king, represents a cleansing of the land and a return to normalcy.

unregistered user
April 18th, 2005, 05:18 AM
Lions and Hyenas according to nature are natural enemies, they feed off of each others kills and are always in competition over borders and kills.

By bringing the two together, one would think that they would prosper, and the hyenas (being unaccustomed to free hunting through the lands) would have been at their golden age at the beginning, and the lions wouldn't have realized a real change except more mouths to feed than usual. But as the drought came and the herbivores left, both sides began to suffer the consequences. Personally I believe that the 'god/gods' knew of what Scar had done and Scar was now being punished. he was given what he always wanted, but it was a bitter sweet victory. I believe that Scar was as able as Mufasa to run the Pridelands. But that Scar was cursed due to murdering his brother.

Also, if real life hyenas and lions began working together instead of against each other for kills, then the prey would stand a much less chance of survival. So it does add up either way really.

Kiara Serengeti
April 18th, 2005, 06:28 PM
Well, hyenas and lions are natural enemies in real life. Plus the hyenas in TLK had no "real" personalities, they were just 'slobbery, mangy stupid poachers' :bleen: I just don't think they'd get along

Shadow
April 18th, 2005, 07:19 PM
it wuldent work....one thing is that when the lionesses would get cubs....the hyinas would be to lazy to hunt so they would go for the cubs....and ofcurse the lionesses would tear them apart......now this is just one of many things....am whit the rest....its the circkle of life....and aswell the nature laws.......

and god.....think of cross breeds i mean if that would happen......"shivers".....ok no futher coment on that @__@

unregistered user
April 18th, 2005, 10:43 PM
Gota rember guys, it's just a cartoon, but great answers anyway.:cheese:

soulImbibe
April 19th, 2005, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by PhantomBPR
Gota rember guys, it's just a cartoon

You had better be careful who you say that around...

:eww:

Shatara
April 19th, 2005, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by PhantomBPR
Gota rember guys, it's just a cartoon, but great answers anyway.:cheese: No! My Vitani is REAL! She's REEEEEAAAAAAaAALLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111

*runs off sobbing*

W-Eyed-Wanderer
April 26th, 2005, 10:19 PM
Cartoon...puh!

I still wonder why the lionesses didn't rise up against Scar...and, for that matter, the hyenas after they were double crossed by him. There surely would have been a lot of in-fighting in the pride anyway seeing as the two species hated each other so much.

Still, we can allow Disney a bit of artistic licence as it made the film what it is and Simba coming to fight Scar for some dirt and the odd lioness that hadn't run away doesn't quite have the same impact!

:D Good thread though

unregistered user
May 1st, 2005, 12:04 AM
what do you mean "Just a cartoon" That was mean!:p TLK is more than that;)

LunarCat
May 1st, 2005, 12:54 AM
lol, :lol: well SoulImbibe called it...:p

unregistered user
May 1st, 2005, 03:27 AM
Hmm, I wonder, if this is going to start an arguement, maybe I should delete it imidiately.;)

unregistered user
May 1st, 2005, 03:29 AM
Originally posted by Ravoc

Also, if real life hyenas and lions began working together instead of against each other for kills, then the prey would stand a much less chance of survival. So it does add up either way really. ]
gotta agree with this one
this is.. nature ways ;)... keep the scale balance
;)
:cheese:
BTW can i ask one question to y'all
CAN YA SHAKE HAND with your own ENEMY?
:eek:

Xinithian
May 1st, 2005, 05:59 AM
Originally posted by shadow

and god.....think of cross breeds i mean if that would happen......"shivers".....ok no futher coment on that @__@ Cross-breeds? You mean mixing lions with hyenas? Impossible.

unregistered user
May 1st, 2005, 11:15 PM
*if that would happen* :\
haha..
errr.. errr.. not enough antelope for everyone? :\