PDA

View Full Version : Oldies but Goodies

DarkElf
April 13th, 2005, 07:59 PM
Recently, one of my dear firends posted a message indicating they enjoyed "oldies" and further defined that genre as music from the 1990's.

Well kids, lets jump into the good old musical time-machine and head back a few more decades (yes, I left the comma out on purpose). What are your favorite songs from these decades: the 60's, the 70's, the 80's?

Don't worry if this is the era of your parents (or God forbid) your grandparents, their was some great music back then. Granted, it can never reach the artistic quality of a Britney Spears or an Eminem, but give it your best shot.

Hugs and Kisses to all of you.

unregistered user
April 13th, 2005, 09:19 PM
Well...... if you insist hehe:

The Rainbow Connection, California Dreamin?, We've Only Just Begun, Bless The Beasts And Children, Stayin? Alive, What a Wonderful World, Ain't No Mountain High Enough, Born To Be Wild, Rescue Me, RESPECT, My Girl, Sugar Pie Honey Bunch, Just Too Good to be True, Fools Rush In, Earth Angel, Doo wah ditty, Dancing In The Streets, My Sharona, Stand By Me, When A Man Loves A Woman, It's Your Thing, You Can't Hurry Love, Your Love Keeps Lifting Me, Green Onions, Your Mama Don't Dance, Maggie May, Free Ride, Rock On, Wildfire, American Pie, Without You, ABC, Lean on Me, Will You Love Me Tomorrow, Runaround Sue, Wild Thing, Tequlla, The loco motion, Shout, La bamba, Wipe Out, Play That Funky Music, You Sexy Thing, Car Wash, It's Raining on Prom Night, Tears on My Pillow, Born to Hand Jive, From a Distance, The Sound of Silence, Sailing, Landslide, Cats In The Cradle

There might be more hehe

Kintaru
April 13th, 2005, 10:25 PM
The Beatles. The greatest band there ever was. 'Nuff Said.=D

By the way, for true oldies, you still need to go back another 10 or 20 years. :evilgrin:

Azerane
April 13th, 2005, 11:59 PM
Hmm... oldies... I don't really like all that many oldies... however, the Beatles are awesome... and... also I love Louis Armstrong, the greatest Jazz man there ever was! :D :cheese:

Sombolia
April 14th, 2005, 12:06 AM
You mean there was a time before the '90s? :hmm:

Shatara
April 14th, 2005, 12:17 AM
'40s for the win.

LunarCat
April 14th, 2005, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by DarkElf
Recently, one of my dear firends posted a message indicating they enjoyed "oldies" and further defined that genre as music from the 1990's.

Well kids, lets jump into the good old musical time-machine and head back a few more decades (yes, I left the comma out on purpose). What are your favorite songs from these decades: the 60's, the 70's, the 80's?

Don't worry if this is the era of your parents (or God forbid) your grandparents, their was some great music back then. Granted, it can never reach the artistic quality of a Britney Spears or an Eminem, but give it your best shot.

:lol: was that me? :p

i'd have to say, The Beach Boys! woohoo!:D :cheese: i love rock and roll from the 60's and 70's total awesomeness :wow:

Simba Child
April 14th, 2005, 02:09 AM
Same here Lunarcat! BEACH BOYS RULE!

I like Duran Duran, I Will Survive, Respect, Kool and the Gang, KC and the Sunshine Band, George Micheal, WHAM, and all jazz oldies!

Sombolia
April 14th, 2005, 02:11 AM
Duran Duran is awesome! :wow:

HasiraKali
April 14th, 2005, 03:16 AM
The '90's are considered oldies now? *feels incredibly old all of a sudden* :confused:

Xinithian
April 14th, 2005, 03:27 AM
Long live rock and roll.

Deep Purple
Led Zeppelin
Cinderella
Def Leppard
Rainbow
Whitesnake
AC/DC
Great White
Tesla
Warrant
White lion
Skid Row

Sombolia
April 14th, 2005, 03:30 AM
I like Van Halen. And KISS. And random Rock songs. <3

White Lion is cool 8D

Xinithian
April 14th, 2005, 03:35 AM
Originally posted by Sombolia
White Lion is cool 8D You listen to them too? It's rare that you'll find people who do. It sucks, though, because Vito Bratta and all of the other original band members except for Mike Tramp (the singer who I didn't really like that much to begin with) left the band. I had a chance to go see "them" in concert, but passed the opportunity because we were busy with something else.

Ngatuny
April 14th, 2005, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by HasiraKali
The '90's are considered oldies now? *feels incredibly old all of a sudden* :confused:

Tell me about it :lol:

Deep Purple
Led Zeppelin
Cinderella
Def Leppard
Rainbow (Dio)
Whitesnake
AC/DC
Great White
Tesla
Warrant
White lion
Skid Row

Now that is what music should be.

lionloversam
April 14th, 2005, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Kintaru
The Beatles. The greatest band there ever was. 'Nuff Said.=D

By the way, for true oldies, you still need to go back another 10 or 20 years. :evilgrin:

Another Beatles fan!!! COOL!!!! Long live the Beatles!!!!

Azerane
April 15th, 2005, 01:09 AM
Hmm... just remembered another one I like... Queen... they are cool... but I think I like the beatles better though :D

Sombolia
April 15th, 2005, 01:20 AM
Granted, it can never reach the artistic quality of a Britney Spears or an Eminem, but give it your best shot.

I just wanna say that I hope that was sarcasm.

Yes, White Lion is awesome. Awesome music. Awesome name...

The Beatles are awesome as well.. I also like a few of the Monkeys songs. Other than that like I said before, Van Halen, Bon Jovi, KISS.. yea.. I listen to the Stadium Rock channel alot.

:D

TakaTiger
April 15th, 2005, 02:14 PM
i grew up with oldies, the only raidostation i had program on my little radio was one called "Oldies 100"my favorite gotta be Manfred Mann tho next to Alice Cooper of corse :D

then of course you got all the hair metal from the 80's

unregistered user
July 10th, 2005, 08:36 PM

Ever heard of Led Zeppelin?

IchLiebeNALA
July 10th, 2005, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by Sombolia
Duran Duran is awesome! :wow:

i agree! A View to a Kill is an Awsome Song!

moonibear
July 11th, 2005, 01:04 AM
Led Zepellin, Beastie Boys, and Queen. :hmm:
Oh, how could I forget the beatles?

W-Eyed-Wanderer
July 11th, 2005, 01:58 AM
Incidentally California Dreamin' is still the best pop song of all time in my opinion.

There are far too many good songs and artists from that time period to mention...

So I'll mention (controversially) the artists that I DON'T like...namely Led Zeppelin and The Rolling Stones - neither of them set me alight at all. I feel someone should mention Pink Floyd in this thread though, and nobody had before now...

If the 90's are now counted as oldies, what are everyones favourite 90's one-hit wonders? For me it has to be Edwyn Collins - A Girl Like You and the New Radicals' - You Get What You Give. There are loads that I could mention though...

P.S. I know that Edwyn Collins isn't technically a one-hit wonder but he was, in my eyes, in the mid-nineties.

moonibear
July 11th, 2005, 01:38 PM
radiohead for 90's!

Wolfman Jack
July 11th, 2005, 07:30 PM
I don't think I can name all the oldies that I listen to, so just to name a few:

AC DC
Led Zeppelin
Pink Floyd
Jimi Hendrix
The Beatles
The Rolling Stones
Creedence Clearwater Revival (CCR)
Alice Cooper
Aerosmith
Bad Company
Black Sabbath
Canned Heat
Doobie Brothers
Three Dog Night
Foreigner
Grand Funk Railroad
Steppin Wolf

And now for some even older stuff, like 30's, 40's, and 50's:
Glen Miller
Tom Dorsey
Muddy Waters
Dion and The Belmonts
Del Shannon
Dave Clark Five
Danny and The Juniors

And still many more.....

W-Eyed-Wanderer
July 12th, 2005, 01:20 AM
Here's a question that just popped into my head...What does everyone think was the single best year for music?

Being predictable and sticking with my lifetime, I'd have to say 1996...I'm a huge Britpop fan and it was all over the place that year. I'm not someone who cares about genre or how 'cool' music is so I'm judging all the pop music of the year as well as just the bands I like per se. 1994 and 1995 had loads of great stuff as well, actually 1995 runs it a very close second.
:D