PDA

View Full Version : Completely Useless but Fairly Intriguing Statistics

2 Die FR
April 7th, 2005, 04:49 AM
>> At -40 degrees Centigrade/Fahrenheit, a person loses about 14.4 calories per hour by breathing.

>> One million Americans, about 3,000 each day, take up smoking each year. Most of them are children.

>> In 1933, Mickey Mouse, an animated cartoon character, received 800,000 fan letters.

>> There are only four words in the English language that end in "-dous": tremendous, horrendous, stupendous, and hazardous.

>> If you attempted to count all the stars in a galaxy at a rate of one every second it would take around 3,000 years to count them all.

>> Less than 3% of Nestle's sales are for chocolate.

>> The average chocolate bar has 8 insects' legs in it.

>> There are 2 credit cards for every person in the United States.

>> The average person will spend 2 weeks over their lifetime waiting for the traffic light to change.

>> More than 2,500 left handed people are killed every year from using right handed products. (I'm left handed too :gasp:)

>> Feb 1865 and Feb 1999 are the only months in recorded history not to have a full moon.

>> The most common name in the world is Mohammed.

>> More people are killed by donkeys annually than are killed in plane crashes.

>> The only 2 days of the year in which there are no professional sports games (MLB, NBA, NHL, or NFL) are the day before and the day after the Major League All-Star Game.

>> Only 1 person in 2 billion will live to be 116 or older.

>> The cruise liner, Queen Elizabeth II, moves only 6 inches (15 cm) for each gallon of diesel that it burns.

>> You share your birthday with at least 9 million other people in the world.

>> It is estimated that at any one time, 0.7% of the world's population are drunk.

>> The tip of a 1/3-inch long hour hand on a wristwatch travels at 0.00000275 miles per hour.

>> One thing that humans do more than anything in their entire life is sleep. Most Americans sleep more than 6-8 hours a day, which is on average around 24 years of ones life!

>> A man's beard contains between 7,000 and 15,000 hairs.

>> A hair is 70% easier to cut when soaked in warm water for 2 minutes.

>> Women's hair is about half the diameter of men's hair.

>> It takes about a half a gallon of water to cook macaroni, and about a gallon to clean the pot.

>> During an average lifetime, a man will spend 3,350 hours removing 8.4 meters of stubble.

>> 4 million children die each year from inhaling smoke from indoor cooking fires that burn wood and dung.

>> Less than 1% of the 500 Chinese cities have clean air; respiratory disease is China's leading cause of death.

>> The number of cars on the planet is increasing 3 times faster than the population growth.

>> It took 1,175 animators working in Disney studios in Burbank, California, Orlando, Florida, and Paris, France to complete the animated Tarzan. Because of the time differences, production was able to occur around the clock for more than three years. (Tarzan is also in Guinness World Records for the most expensive animated film ever made. Only I would know that ;))

>> The most expensive commercial ever made is one of the most famous. The "1984" Apple Macintosh commercial shown introducing Macintosh to the world ran only once during the 1984 Super Bowl. It was directed by Ridley Scott, and cost around $600,000 to $1 million to make.

>> The average human eats 8 spiders in their lifetime at night. (:eek:)

>> About 17% of humans are left-handed. The same is true of chimpanzees and gorillas. (Augh- how indignified, comparing left-handers to monkeys!:hmm:)

>> Banging your head against a wall uses 150 calories an hour.

>> The entire length of all eyelashes shed by a human in their life is over 98 feet (30 m).

>> No president of the United States was an only child.

>> The average woman consumes 6 pounds of lipstick in her lifetime. (Ugh.)

>> The average person swallows 8 spiders a year. (Sick!)

>> It only takes 7 pounds of pressure to rip your ear off. (Shall we try it??)

>> $26 billion in ransom has been paid out in the U.S. in the past 20 years.

>> You use more calories eating celery than there are in the celery itself. (The ultimate diet food of choice, hehe)

>> On average, there are 178 sesame seeds on each McDonalds BigMac bun.

>> There are 1 million ants for every person in the world.

>> Odds of being killed by a dog - 1 in 700,000.

>> Odds of dying while in the bath tub - 1 in 1 million.

>> Odds of being killed by space debris - 1 in 5 billion.

>> Odds of being killed by poisoning - 1 in 86,000.

>> Odds of being killed by freezing - 1 in 3 million.

>> Odds of being killed by lightening - 1 in 2 million.

>> Odds of being killed in a car crash - 1 in 5,000.

>> Odds of being killed in a tornado - 1 in 2 million.

>> Odds of being killed by falling out of bed - 1 in 2 million.

>> Odds of being killed in a plane crash -1 in 25 million.

>> If you played all of the Beatles' singles and albums that came out between 1962 and 1970 back to back, it would only last for 10 hours and 33 minutes.

>> Termites eat through wood 2 times faster when listening to rock music. (Rock on!)

>> The Apollo 11 only had 20 seconds of fuel when it landed. (Cutting it close, doncha think?)

>> 13 people are killed each year by vending machine's falling on them.

>> There is a 1/4 pound of salt in every gallon of seawater.

>> About 1/3 of American adults are at least 20% above their recommended weight.

>> The average talker sprays about 300 microscopic saliva droplets per minute, about 2.5 droplets per word.

>> The average smell weighs 760 nanograms.

>> The Earth experiences 50,000 earthquakes each year.

>> Skin temperature does not go much above 95 degrees even on the hottest days.

>> 314 Americans had buttock lift surgery in 1994.

>> Annual growth of WWW traffic is 314,000%.

>> Experts at Intel say that microprocessor speed will double every 18 months for at least 10 years.

>> The Earth's revolution time increases .0001 seconds annually.

>> Driving at 75 miles (121 km) per hour, it would take 258 days to drive around one of Saturn's rings.

>> Driving 55 miles (88 km) per hour instead of 65 miles (105 km) per hour increases your car mileage by about 15%.

>> Airbags explode at 200 miles (322 km) per hour.

>> If we had the same mortality rate now as in 1900, more than half the people in the world today would not be alive.

>> 1/3 of all cancers are sun related.

>> The average person flexes the joints in their finger 24 million times during a lifetime.

>> There are more than 1,000 chemicals in a cup of coffee.

>> It would take 7 billion particles of fog to fill a teaspoon.

>> The average iceberg weighs 20 million tons.

>> The average human produces 25,000 quarts of spit in a lifetime, enough to fill two swimming pools.

>> Your brain weighs around 3 pounds. All but ten ounces is water.

>> A can of SPAM is opened every 4 seconds. (And I know why it's not more than that...)

>> If you gave each human on earth an equal portion of dry land, including the uninhabitable areas, everyone would get roughly 100 square feet (30.4 m).

>> The average person makes about 1,140 telephone calls each year.

>> There are 336 dimples on a regulation golf ball.

>> In a century's time, Islam had converted 1/3 of the world.

>> In 75% of Americans households, women manage the money and pay the bills.

>> The world record for rocking non-stop in a rocking chair is 440 hours.

>> Only one person in 2 billion will live to be 166 or older.

>> The world record for rain boot tossing is 179.14 feet (54.60 m).

>> Americans on the average eat 18 acres of pizza everyday. (Yummm)

>> Right handed people live, on average, nine years longer than left handed people. (See, there it is again, discrimination against lefties! I can't believe this!?!)

>> More Monopoly money is printed in a year than real money throughout the world.

>> 1/4 of the bones in your body is in your feet.

>> Fingernails grow nearly 4 times faster than toenails.

>> You blink over 10,000,000 times a year.

>> There are 1,525,000,000 miles (2,453,725,000 km) of telephone wire strung across America.

>> Sneeze travels out of your mouth at over 100 miles (161 km) an hour.

>> If the population of China walked past you in single file, the line would never end because of the rate of reproduction.

>> The earth weighs around 6,588,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000, tons.

>> The average person has over 1,460 dreams a year.

>> The average person laughs 15 times a day. (Only that much? I am waaaaay above average on that one LOL)

>> It has been calculated that in the last 3,500 years, there have only been 230 years of peace throughout the civilized world.

>> The average person spends about 2 years on the phone in a lifetime.

>> When glass breaks, the cracks move at speeds up to 3,000 miles (4827 km) per hour.

>> The first millennium, 1 - 1000 AD, consisted of 365,250 days. Our current millennium, 1001 - 2000 AD, will consist of 365,237 days. The third millennium, 2001 - 3000 AD, will consist of 365,242 days. The reason for the differences is the calendar system that was in use during the milleniums.

>> In chess, there are 169,518,829,100,544,000,000,000,000,000 ways to play the first ten moves.

nafklt
April 7th, 2005, 04:55 AM
-40 centigrade?!:gasp: We'd freeze to death before we'd lose calories...:gasp:

2 Die FR
April 7th, 2005, 05:04 AM
You got me there, nafklt...

Anyhoo, yet even more factz...

>> Titanic was running at 22 knots when she hit the iceberg.

>> The citrus soda 7-UP was created in 1929; "7" was selected because the original containers were 7 ounces. "UP" indicated the direction of the bubbles.

>> Because radio waves travel at 186,000 miles (299,274 km) per second and sound waves saunter at 700 miles (1,126 km) per hour, a broadcast voice can be heard sooner 13,000 miles (20,917 km) away than it can be heard at the back of the room in which it originated.

>> Mosquito repellents don't repel. They hide you. The spray blocks the mosquito's sensors so they don't know you're there.

>> The bagpipe was originally made from the liver of a dead sheep.

>> Dentists have recommended that a toothbrush be kept at least 6 feet (2 m) away from a toilet to avoid airborne particles resulting from the flush. (:lol:)

>> The first Ford cars had Dodge engines.

>> In ancient Rome, it was considered a sign of leadership to be born with a crooked nose.

>> It is possible to drown and not die. Technically the term "drowning" refers to the process of taking water into the lungs, not to death caused by that process.

>> Jeremy Bentham, a British philosopher who died in 1832, left his entire estate to the London Hospital provided that his body be allowed to preside over its board meetings. His skeleton was clothed and fitted with a wax mask of his face. It was present at the meeting for 92 years.

>> Nutmeg is extremely poisonous if injected intravenously.

>> Diet Coke was only invented in 1982.

>> The YKK on the zipper of your Levis stands for Yoshida Kogyo Kabushibibaisha, the world's largest zipper manufacturer.

>> The liquid inside young coconuts can be used as substitute for blood plasma.

>> The world's largest McDonalds is located on I-44 at Vinita, Oklahoma. It goes from one side of the interstate to the other, passing over the interstate.

>> Strawberries have more vitamin C in them than oranges.

>> Dead Egyptian noblewomen were given the special treatment of being allowed a few days to ripen, so that the embalmers wouldn't find her too attractive.

>> Onions get their distinctive smell by soaking up sulfur from the soil.

>> The 'rusticles' on the model of the sunken Titanic were Cheeto's and bran flakes painted with rust colored primer.

>> Any free-moving liquid in outer space will form itself into a sphere, because of its surface tension.

>> Ketchup is excellent for cleaning brass, especially tarnished and corroded brass.

>> Raindrops aren't actually teardrop shaped. They are rounded at the top and flat on the bottom.

>> One Day on the planet Pluto is about the length of a week on Earth.

>> The first police force was established in Paris 1667.

>> Kermit the Frog has 11 points on his collar around his neck.

>> A broken clock is right at least twice a day. (Goofy said that, I think...)

>> American car horns beep in the tone of F.

>> Playing cards in India are round.

>> The shortest war in history was between Zanzibar an England in 1896. Zanzibar surrendered after 38 minutes.

>> Each of us generates about 3.5 pounds of trash a day. Most of it is paper.

>> The most collect calls are made on Father's Day.

>> No piece of paper can be folded more than 7 times. (Try it, it's so hard!)

>> Due to precipitation, for a few weeks K2 is bigger than Mt Everest.

>> Donkeys kill more people annually than plane crashes.

>> 1 in every 4 Americans has appeared on television. (I being one of them)

>> You burn more calories sleeping than you do watching TV.

>> The Pacific Ocean fills nearly a complete hemisphere of the earth's surface.

>> German chemists have made a replica of the football World Cup trophy that is the size of one molecule. That is less than 100-millionth the size of the original. They were bored.

>> The first recording of the human voice, by Thomas Edison in 1877, was "Mary had a Little Lamb."

>> More money is spent on gardening than on any other hobby.

>> Oak trees do not produce acorns until they are fifty years of age or older.

>> Most of the vitamin C in fruits is in the skin.

>> A bowling pin need only tilt 7.5 degrees to fall.

>> The fist product to have a bar code was Wrigleys gum.

>> The king of hearts is the only king without a moustache.

>> A Boeing 747's wingspan is longer than the Wright brother's first flight.

>> The electric chair was invented by a dentist.

>> There is about 1/4 pound of salt in every gallon of seawater.

>> Six ounces of orange juice contains the minimum daily requirement for vitamin C.

>> American Airlines saved $40,000 in 1987 by eliminating 1 olive from each salad served in first-class.

>> A jumbo uses 4,000 gallons of fuel to take off.

>> Venus is the only planet that rotates clockwise.

>> The first CD pressed in the US was Bruce Springsteen's "Born in the USA."

>> Children spend more time learning about life through media than any other manner.

>> The average child spends approximately 28 hours a week watching television, which is twice as much time as they spend in school.

>> There is cyanide in apple pips.

>> Apples, not caffeine, are more efficient at waking you up in the morning.

>> The 57 on Heinz ketchup bottles represents the number of varieties of pickles the company once had.

>> If you lock your knee while standing long enough, you will pass out. (Now DON'T try that one)

>> The plastic things on the end of shoelaces are called aglets.

>> Tom Sawyer was the first novel written on a typewriter.

>> Most dust particles in your house are made from dead skin. (EEEW)

>> The Volkswagen was originally called the "Strength through Joy Wagon".

>> Minus 40 degrees Celsius is exactly the same as minus 40 degrees Fahrenheit.

>> Construction workers hard hats were first invented and used in the Building of the Hoover Dam in 1933.

>> An average orange falls just as fast as a skydiver. It's hard to catch in free fall, though - the "burble" of disturbed air around the jumper pushes the orange away.

>> If you're going to eat fast food, the odds are 2 out of 5 you will buy it at McDonald's, 1 out of 5 you will choose Burger King, and 1 out of 10 for Hardee's and for Wendy's.

>> The first owner of the Marlboro company died of lung cancer. (:lol:)

klowd
April 7th, 2005, 05:15 AM
Thanks dude, was really funny to read :lol:

2 Die FR
April 7th, 2005, 05:16 AM
Thanx;)
I hate to add to the list of pointless threads, but this time I found something too good to pass up.

nafklt
April 7th, 2005, 05:23 AM
" A broken clock is right at least twice a day.'

omg! :lol: Thanks 2DFR...;)

Aurelian
April 7th, 2005, 02:47 PM
:lol:

you forgot one:

>>There is a 99% chance that 2 DIE FR was extremely bored when he created this post.

King Simba
April 7th, 2005, 02:49 PM
Whoa...that's a lot. :gasp:
I've read a few of them, I'll read the rest later. =) Cheers mate.

Nephilim
April 7th, 2005, 03:35 PM
I wouldn't believe everything you read, kids.

Shatara
April 7th, 2005, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by 2 Die FR
>> More than 2,500 left handed people are killed every year from using right handed products. (I'm left handed too :gasp:)For some reason, bullpup rifles come to mind ;)

>> The average person swallows 8 spiders a year. (Sick!)The similarity of these statements leads me to belive one or both have been pulled out of someone's fourth point of contact.

>> About 17% of humans are left-handed. The same is true of chimpanzees and gorillas. (Augh- how indignified, comparing left-handers to monkeys!:hmm:):gasp: Specist!

>> If we had the same mortality rate now as in 1900, more than half the people in the world today would not be alive.Sounds like that'd be a good thing, 'specially considering:

>> If you gave each human on earth an equal portion of dry land, including the uninhabitable areas, everyone would get roughly 100 square feet (30.4 m).:hmm:

>> Right handed people live, on average, nine years longer than left handed people. (See, there it is again, discrimination against lefties! I can't believe this!?!)Y'see, that's cause all the lefties being killed by right handed stuff are screwing with the average! :p

>> The shortest war in history was between Zanzibar an England in 1896. Zanzibar surrendered after 38 minutes.If I were Zanzibar, and England declared war on me, I don't think I'da held out so long :p

>> If you lock your knee while standing long enough, you will pass out. (Now DON'T try that one)It's true! DrillSgt said so :p

>> If you're going to eat fast food, the odds are 2 out of 5 you will buy it at McDonald's, 1 out of 5 you will choose Burger King, and 1 out of 10 for Hardee's and for Wendy's. ...Which is curious, because Hardees and Wendy's are far superior in quality of food...

...well, discounting that whole finger incident...

nafklt
April 7th, 2005, 11:38 PM
Eww...:eww: Not that finger story again...:eek:

2 Die FR
April 8th, 2005, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by Roquivo

you forgot one:

>>There is a 99% chance that 2 DIE FR was extremely bored when he created this post.
More like, 100% chance :lol:
Oh, the monotony that is my life... *sigh*;)

Nephilim- I wouldn't anticipate hearing that from anyone else. If the facts are false, it's whatever random website I got it off's fault, not mine.

Shatara- you got some great random commentage going on there :) I sure hope just because I'm left handed I won't die sooner or get injured using right handed products. I'm a left handed guy in a right hander's world. (Tuh, monkeys... :hmm:)

And let's not go there, with the finger story:yuck: *retch*

nafklt
April 8th, 2005, 02:06 AM
Heys 2DFR, the Simba in your avvy is left pawed...;)

2 Die FR
April 8th, 2005, 02:08 AM
Left pawed...What?:confused:

*Edit* Ooooooh... Yeah!
Haha, long live southpaws!:irule:

nafklt
April 8th, 2005, 02:11 AM
xD:lol:

LunarCat
April 8th, 2005, 02:17 AM
what is with the poking of the noses in TLK?! it happens all the time! :gasp:
exhibit 1 (http://www.photodump.com/direct/MoonCougar/171415.jpg)
Exhibit 2 (http://www.photodump.com/direct/MoonCougar/255.jpg)
Exhibit 3 (http://www.photodump.com/direct/MoonCougar/402.jpg)
Exhibit 4 (http://www.photodump.com/direct/MoonCougar/capture110.jpg)

2DieFr's sig reminded me......:p

Sombolia
April 8th, 2005, 02:40 AM

>> The average person swallows 8 spiders a year. (Sick!)

:Ooo: Okay...

Lol, thanks for posting that! Kept me entertained. :jejeje:

nafklt
April 8th, 2005, 04:10 AM
Originally posted by Lunarcat
what is with the poking of the noses in TLK?! it happens all the time! :gasp:
exhibit 1 (http://www.photodump.com/direct/MoonCougar/171415.jpg)
Exhibit 2 (http://www.photodump.com/direct/MoonCougar/255.jpg)
Exhibit 3 (http://www.photodump.com/direct/MoonCougar/402.jpg)
Exhibit 4 (http://www.photodump.com/direct/MoonCougar/capture110.jpg)

2DieFr's sig reminded me......:p

omg, LOL! :lol:

Only-now
April 8th, 2005, 04:37 AM
The thing about the locking of the knees is true..lol..it has happened in ROTC before..not with me..but others, in previous years.

The spider thing is false, cause thats an urdan legend....and they showed how it wasnt true.

Keep this one saying i mind when reading this.

"There are lies, dirty lies, and then there are statistics."

Hehe.

Azerane
April 8th, 2005, 07:26 AM
I read a statistic about donkeys as well... It was that more people are killed by donkeys annualy than by falling coconuts!

2 Die FR
July 3rd, 2005, 05:37 AM
Here are some (more!) interesting facts to read...

Ancient Egyptians shaved off their eyebrows to mourn the deaths of their cats.

A bowling pin need only tilt 7.5 degrees in order to fall down.

The right side of a boat was called the starboard side due to the that the astronavigators used to stand out on the plank (which was on the right side) to get an unobstructed view of the stars. The left side was called the port side because that was the side you put in on at the port. This was so that they didn't knock off the starboard!

The Japanese word "Arigato" meaning thank you is derived from the Portugese word "Obrigado". Portugal once had a thriving trade with Japan.

The bubbles in Guinness Beer sink to the bottom rather than float to the top like all other beers. No one knows why.

Jupiter's core is in fact made of a non-metal, but due to the immense pressure inside Jupiter the core has become a metal. This metal is hydrogen.

The Main Library at Indiana University sinks over an inch every year because when it was built, engineers failed to take into account the weight of all the books that would occupy the building.

A fullgrown bear can run as fast as a horse.

When opossums are playing opossum, they are not "playing." They actually pass out from sheer terror.

Every male over the 18 is considered part of the Arizona Militia according to state constitution.

The word "karate" means "empty hand."

Four people played Darth Vader: David Prowse was his body, James Earl Jones did the voice, Sebastian Shaw was his face and a fourth person did the breathing.

A hamlet is a village without a church and a town is not a city until it has a cathedral.

49.6% of US residents live in Eastern time zone, 29.3% live in the Central time zone, 5.3% live in the Mountain time zone, 15.0% live in the Pacific time zone and .8% live in any other time zone.

Texas is also the only state that is allowed to fly its state flag at the same height as the U.S. flag.

If you put a raisin in a glass of champagne, it will keep floating to the top and sinking to the bottom.

Tommy Lee Jones and Al Gore were freshman roommates at Harvard.

A lion's roar can be heard from five miles away. (I doubt there's anyone here who didn't already know that :shout: ;))

The reason firehouses have circular stairways is from the days of yore when the engines were pulled by horses. The horses were stabled on the ground floor and figured out how to walk up straight staircases.

The launching mechanism of a carrier ship that helps planes to take off, could throw a pickup truck over a mile.

If you told someone that they were one in a million, you'd be saying there were about 1,800 of them in China.

A duck's quack doesn't echo, and no one knows why.

The average sixty minute audio cassette tape has 562.5 feet of tape in it, nearly two football fields long

The ashes of the average cremated person weigh nine pounds.

The "save" icon on Microsoft Word shows a floppy disk, with the shutter on backwards.

Assuming Rudolph was in front, there are 40,320 ways to arrange the other eight reindeer.

The fingerprints of koala bears are virtually indistinguishable from those of humans, so much so that they could be confused at a crime scene.

Robert E. Lee, of the Confederate Army, remains the only person, to date, to have graduated from the West Point military academy without a single demerit.

Croatia was the first country to recognize the United States in 1776.

There are only 14 blimps in the world, and 10 of them are in the U.S.

Pinocchio is Italian for "pine eyes."

If you stretch a standard Slinky out flat it measures 87 feet long.

Most Americans' car horns beep in the key of F. The telephone dial tone is also in the key of F.

Barbie's measurements if she were life size: 39-23-33.

The Chinese ideogram for 'trouble' depicts two women living under one roof. And the Chinese words for crisis and opportunity are the same.

Ralph Lauren's original name was Ralph Lif****z.

Lizzie Borden was acquitted.

Isaac Asimov is the only author to have a book in every Dewey-decimal category.

Approximately sixty circus performers have been shot from cannons. At last report, thirty-one of these have been killed.

The Boeing 767 aircraft is a collection of 3.1 million parts from 800 different suppliers around the world: fuselage parts from Japan, center wing section from Southern California, flaps from Italy.

A man irate about his income tax paid Uncle Sam with a plaster of Paris check that weighed several pounds. He wasn't all that bright, because once the government cashed the check, it was returned to him and he had to keep it for five years for his records.

On the new hundred dollar bill the time on the clock tower of Independence Hall is 4:10.

Parker Brothers prints about 50 billion dollars worth of Monopoly money in one year.

Calvin and Hobbes: Hobbes originally had pads on his hands and feet but Bill Waterson (the creator) found them too distracting and removed them.

It took Leo Tolstoy six years to write "War & Peace".

Charlie Brown's father was a barber.

Lucy and Linus (who where brother and sister) had another little brother named Rerun. (He sometimes played left-field on Charlie Brown's baseball team, [when he could find it!]).

In the name of art, Chris Burden arranged to be shot by a friend while another person photographed the event. He sold the series of pictures to an art dealer. He made $1750 on the deal, but his hospital bill was $84,000.

In Britain?s House of Commons, the government and opposition sides of the House are separated by two red lines. The distance between the lines is two swords? lengths, a reminder of just how seriously the Brits used to take their politics.

The surface area of an average-sized brick is 79 cm squared.

In the kingdom of Bhutan, all citizens officially become a year older on New Year's Day.

The diameter of the wire in a standard paper clip is 1 millimeter - or about 0.04 inch.

People generally say there are 365 days in a year. By a year, I mean this is the time period it takes the earth to travel around the sun: 365 days. Actually, however, it takes the Earth 365.25 days to make this trip. In other words, for every year we gain one-fourth of a day and every for years we gain an extra day. If nothing was done about this, our calendar would move backwards one full day every four years in relation to our seasons.

November 29 is National Sinky Day; a day to eat over one's sink and worship it.

Public typists work at typewriters charging about 14 cents per page. On a good day, a public typist earns about $3.50.

On average, there are 333 squares of toilet paper on a roll.

Halloween isn't an established holiday by law. It is traditional that Halloween is Oct. 31 no matter what day of the week it falls on. Halloween dates from 837 when Pope Gregory IV instituted All Saints or All Hallows Day on Nov. 1 to take the place of an earlier festival known as the Peace of the Martyrs. The day was set aside to honor all saints, known and unknown. Halloween then is a shortened form of All Hallows Eve - the evening before All Hallows Day. Certainly, you have a choice of celebrating it on Oct. 30, Saturday, if you wish. Many of the area parties will be held then rather than on Sunday. It's probably appropriate to say some people equate Halloween with the occult or Satanism and don't approve of it at all.

The numbers on opposite sides of a die always add up to 7.

In 1979, Namco released Pac-Man, the most popular arcade game of all time. Over 300,000 units were sold worldwide. More than 100,000 units are sold in the United States alone. Originally named Puck Man, the game was retitled after executives saw the potential for vandals to scratch out part of the letter P on the game's marquee, which might discourage parents from letting their children play. Pac-Man became the first video game to be popular with both males and females.

If you were born in Los Alamos, New Mexico during the Manhattan project (where they made the atomic bomb), your birth place is listed as a post office box in Albuquerque.

The St. Louis Gateway Arch had a projected death toll while it was being built. No one died.

The Hoover Dam was built to last 2,000 years. The concrete in it will not even be fully cured for another 500 years.

The "Calabash" pipe, most often associated with Sherlock Holmes, was not used by him until William Gillette (an American) portrayed Holmes on stage. Gillette needed a pipe he could keep in his mouth while he spoke his lines.

The Chinese national anthem is called "the march of volunteers."

"The Tale of Genji", a Japanese work from the early eleventh century, is considered by many scholars to be the world's first full novel. The novel was written by a woman: Murasaki Shikibu, or Lady Murasaki.

The glue on Israeli postage stamps is certified kosher.

In the movie "Toy Story", the carpet designs in Sid's hallway is the same as the carpet designs in "The Shining."

At Disneyland they have hundreds of wild domesticated cats running around the park. They never come out during the day because there's too many people, but the reason they're there is to catch the mice. (I've seen them, too, around the shores of Tom Sawyer Island. They are pretty wild and raggy, but kinda cute:curious: )

Simba '04
July 3rd, 2005, 12:36 PM
dude there is some weird stuff in there O.o, where are you finding all of this? :confused:

nafklt
July 3rd, 2005, 08:32 PM

The Chinese national anthem is called "the march of volunteers."

This is why...

"This song was composed by Nieh Erh in 1932, one year after the Japanese invasion of Manchuria and was dedicated to the volunteers who rose to defend the nation long before Japan formally declared war on China. In 1934 Nieh Erh went to continue his musical studies in Japan, where he was murdered. He was 24 years old at the time of his death. His song was later adopted as the national anthem of the People's Republic of China. The lyrics are by Tian Han.":ayecapn:

2 Die FR
July 4th, 2005, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by Simba '04
dude there is some weird stuff in there O.o, where are you finding all of this? :confused:
Oh, just random sites with interesting facts and so forth. You'd be amazed at what I find when I'm bored. :cheese:

nafklt
July 4th, 2005, 01:05 AM

2 Die FR
July 4th, 2005, 01:11 AM
:lol: is right, and then some.
I am SOOOOO bored!

But I do know a whole bunch of completely useless but fairly intriguing statistics. :D

Fear The Paw
July 4th, 2005, 09:01 AM
Dude thats some good stats on the odds but thoes are only opinonized, but are sweet.

unregistered user
July 4th, 2005, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by SimbaTheLion

>> Odds of being killed by falling out of bed - 1 in 2 million. I love it :lol: :D ...
haha my teacher is one of em :(
:ayecapn:

la_reina
July 4th, 2005, 04:31 PM
>> The average person makes about 1,140 telephone calls each year.

I know a certain pair of twins who make that many or more calls a year :evilgrin:
They call me everyday :p

>> In a century's time, Islam had converted 1/3 of the world.

Now that is awesome :D

moonibear
July 4th, 2005, 06:07 PM

>> The average chocolate bar has 8 insects' legs in it.

I never want to hear that again! *pats symphony bar*

>> The most common name in the world is Mohammed.

I know at least ten of them, including my bro =D

Sombolia
July 5th, 2005, 08:41 PM
Four people played Darth Vader: David Prowse was his body, James Earl Jones did the voice, Sebastian Shaw was his face and a fourth person did the breathing.

I think it was... Ben Burtt, who did the breathing? :confused: He did it my sticking a microphone into a scuba diving breathing.. thing, and breathing through it :p Or something like that. ^^;

EDIT: Oh, and it's five now. Hayden was in the suit in Episode III :p

W-Eyed-Wanderer
July 6th, 2005, 03:26 PM
Well all these kept me entertained for at least 10 minutes! I love random facts...
:D

Lucy Lioness
July 6th, 2005, 03:31 PM
That's not true :lol: - there is a TV program here called Brainiac: Science Abuse. On that program they test all sorts of fancy science theories, and they demonstrated that a duck's quack does in fact echo ;) ...

That show is so funny. :D My boyfriend watches it. They are always blowing caravans up and stuff. :D On one they tested to see if Chinese Water Torture actually worked. The tester couldn't even finish the test. :gasp:

nafklt
July 6th, 2005, 05:09 PM
That's not true :lol: - there is a TV program here called Brainiac: Science Abuse. On that program they test all sorts of fancy science theories, and they demonstrated that a duck's quack does in fact echo ;) ...

Lol, I remember this show called Mythbusters, they were doing the same experiment...:lol: