PDA

View Full Version : The last book you've read...?

Nuduli
April 26th, 2011, 02:08 AM
Like the title says! ^_^ What is the last book(s) you've read recently?

Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Last Olympian

I <3 this series so much, for me personally, it's as great as Harry Potter. :cheese:

HasiraKali
April 26th, 2011, 02:13 AM
Love the Percy Jackson series! :D The author lives here too! He used to teach middle school at one of the private schools here. He does a bunch of things with the local Barnes and Noble stores. I've yet to meet him though. Maybe when the next book in his new series comes out.

I'm reading the last book of The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod series. Up next, I think it should be a grown up vampire book. :lol:

Nuduli
April 26th, 2011, 02:19 AM
Love the Percy Jackson series! :D The author lives here too! He used to teach middle school at one of the private schools here. He does a bunch of things with the local Barnes and Noble stores. I've yet to meet him though. Maybe when the next book in his new series comes out.

I'm reading the last book of The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod series. Up next, I think it should be a grown up vampire book. :lol:

Oh wow, lucky you! :p I'm still in the middle of reading The Lost Hero, which is turning out to be just as awesome. Got a favorite character? I love Thalia, lol.

And never heard of the one you're currently reading. O_o

HasiraKali
April 26th, 2011, 02:29 AM
I don't know. :hmm: I kind of like Nico. And for some reason when I read them, I picture the Disney version of the gods. :lol: My brain, she is corrupt.

I'm not surprised you've not heard of it. It came out before the Twilight craze. But, of course, it gets lumped in there with the "vampire craze" books. It's really not though. It's well written and has a great mythology that you can tell it well thought out between the books. There was a jab at Twilight in the chapter I read the other night. Cracked me up so bad haha.

Nuduli
April 26th, 2011, 02:32 AM
I'll admit I'm not all caught up in vampire fiction, as much as I love vampires, lol. Only one I ever read was Stoker's Dracula. XD <3 but hey, any jab at Twilight is made of awesome. ;)

HasiraKali
April 26th, 2011, 02:37 AM
Mmmm Dracula. I have a sequel that his great-grandson wrote using his notes. It's sitting on my nightstand to be read next. I'm really into vampires. Always have been :lol: It can get hard for a vampire fan in these Twilight times.

Azerane
April 26th, 2011, 02:42 AM
Currently reading The last dragonlord. The last book I read was Firebringer and before that Life of Pi.

Simbaspirit
April 26th, 2011, 03:20 AM
currently reading onward, the new book on starbucks that's supposed to be amazing. I just had my first day of work at starbucks today and they just gave it to me :lol:

Revo
April 26th, 2011, 03:38 AM
Currently reading The Named series by Clare bell, so far I'm on the 2nd book out of 5. It's a cool story where ancient (presumably African) big wild cats have grown sentient, and the series starts in the 1st book by them discovering fire.
The last book I read before this series was Firebringer by David Clement-Davies and The Left Hand of God by Paul Hoffman before that. And prior to that I read the Guardian's of Ga'Hoole - series by Kathryn Lasky.
I have David Clement-Davies' The Sight and its sequel Fell waiting their turn on my shelf (, both of them also animal novels), and I'm also planning on getting my hands on Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder, which I've heard is something like a book about the history of philosophy, disguised as a fictional novel. Sounds like a good read to me.

Sombolia
April 26th, 2011, 04:35 AM
I can't even remember the last book I finished :woe:. I've been too busy lately.

But I plan on reading Dexter is Delicious next.

Kihari
April 26th, 2011, 05:38 AM
The Last Unicorn. It was a good book, but I've seen the movie so many times that I fear it might have taken something away from the actual reading of the story.

Next in line, once I have the time: The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (a rather longer read).

Azerane
April 26th, 2011, 06:15 AM
Currently reading The Named series by Clare bell, so far I'm on the 2nd book out of 5. It's a cool story where ancient (presumably African) big wild cats have grown sentient, and the series starts in the 1st book by them discovering fire.
The last book I read before this series was Firebringer by David Clement-Davies and The Left Hand of God by Paul Hoffman before that. And prior to that I read the Guardian's of Ga'Hoole - series by Kathryn Lasky.
I have David Clement-Davies' The Sight and its sequel Fell waiting their turn on my shelf (, both of them also animal novels), and I'm also planning on getting my hands on Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder, which I've heard is something like a book about the history of philosophy, disguised as a fictional novel. Sounds like a good read to me.

I have been wanting to read The Named series for so long, looked at purchasing online but some of the prices seemed rather excessive, so I haven't been able to get a hold of them yet. I have been also meaning to read The Sight and Fell, but haven't gotten around to those either. I need to stop by my favourite second hand book store and have a look for more animal novels, they often have some :D

Lion King Stu
April 26th, 2011, 12:36 PM
The last book that I have read is 'Band of Brothers' by Stepehn E. Ambrose.
I have already read it through once many years back but only recently decided to re-read it after watching the series on blu-ray. I'm sort of quite interested in what happened during world war 2 and having read some of his other books in the past such as Wild Blue and Pegasus bridge. Being in the military myself (Navy) I'm quite interested to read what difference have been made from then till now in basic training and how soldiers etc. lived.

HasiraKali
April 26th, 2011, 10:28 PM
I'm going to be finishing that Vlad Tod book tonight. Holy twist, Batman! I love that a bunch of this stuff was toooooootally noticeable in the previous books, but was just overlooked for whatever reason. It's like a Doctor Who series! :lol:

Speaking of Doctor Who, I have some novels I found at Half-Price Books. I think I'll start one of those tonight. Need a break from vampires for awhile. The last 5 or so books I read have been vampire ones.

I'm also going to look for that The Named series. Sounds interesting!

Twilight_Sparkle
April 27th, 2011, 05:45 AM
"The Red Queen" by Matt Ridley
"Clash of Kings" by George RR Martin

Aurelian
April 27th, 2011, 04:31 PM
"Harpy Thyme" by Piers Anthony. I am a sci-fi buff, and love anything by Anthony. Looking forward to Brian Jacques' final Redwall book(that he wrote before his death) as well.

Safila
May 10th, 2011, 05:10 AM
Now We Are Six & When We Were Very Young - A.A.Milne

KanuTGL
May 10th, 2011, 06:07 PM
Mossflower by Brian Jaques. I bought myself an English copy and re-read it, to be able to better keep up with the film project I'm taking part in :P While, I'm sad to admit, it wasn't quite as fantastic as I remembered it I still enjoyed reading it :3 Next up with be Redwall (also by Jaques) or continuing Passion is a Fashion, a biography on The Clash (one of my favourite bands ever, haha).

Azerane
May 18th, 2011, 12:59 AM
I finished The Last Dragonlord some time ago now, and I started on its sequel Dragon and Phoenix but I just haven't been able to stay into it like I usually do. Perhaps my book reading spree is over for the moment :p

Azerane
March 16th, 2013, 01:14 PM
The White Fox, by Brain Parvin. It was a nice book, though fairly basic, bought it a couple years ago at a second hand book store and just never got around to reading it until now. Hunter's Moon/The Foxes of Firstdark by Garry Kilworth is a much better fox book IMO.

Currently I'm re-reading The Art of Racing in the Rain. Much love for this one.

Kasei
March 19th, 2013, 03:25 AM
Let's see...I have this problem of reading multiple books at once, so I would say either The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss or Tehanu by Ursula K. LeGuin....if you want to be technical I am currently reading the sequel to Name of the Wind which is called A Wise Man's Fear. Fun books, all. :3

Buffy
March 23rd, 2013, 06:41 PM
The last book I read was The Fault In Our Stars by John Green. I really, really liked it.

Now I'm reading The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan, also known as the first book in the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series. I'm only a chapter in, but I already love Percy as a character.

I'm also reading a small selection of the Brothers Grimm fairy tales. I may need to get the complete collection someday though.

And lastly I'm reading Stone of Tears by Terry Goodkind. It's book #2 in the Sword of Truth series, which the TV show Legend of the Seeker was based on. This book is massive so it's taking me quite a while to read it. But it's good, so I don't mind. :)

Azerane
March 24th, 2013, 08:19 AM
I don't know how you people can read more than one book at once, I have to focus on one book at a time, otherwise I lose the feel of the story.

Azerane
April 5th, 2013, 09:40 AM
Just finished Hunger Games. Read them all before but wanted to again but only just acquired the first book. I feel bad though because I was reading Shardik and got halfway through and was so determined to finish it, but I failed.

Lweek
April 6th, 2013, 10:38 PM
Winnie the Pooh :D Really! Because I know the book in my native language but this time I read the book in original english language. It was very nice. :) Before I read Space Odyssey 2001 in czech language and before Space Odyssey I read Eragon. :)

KanuTGL
April 6th, 2013, 10:51 PM
Life of Pi. I've seen the film and thus knew the story, but it was such a good read :) The writing style was so cool and the story so captivating. I finished the book a few days ago and I still really miss reading it xD

Lweek
April 7th, 2013, 12:12 AM
Every book I have read and which was filmed was better than movie. For some weird reason producers tends to change points in story which makes the whole story senseless. For example Eragon or Space Odyssey 2001 are filmed so badly you would ask yourself what the hell is happened in story or why characters acting so stupid. After this experience I have problem decide If I want to read book first or see movie if even see movie at all.

Life of Pi. I've seen the film and thus knew the story, but it was such a good read :) The writing style was so cool and the story so captivating. I finished the book a few days ago and I still really miss reading it xD

Azerane
April 8th, 2013, 03:49 AM

So glad you read it. I first read the book a couple of years ago, so I had no idea how they were even going to attempt a movie from it, but the movie turned out well. Glad you liked it though, there's so much background to Pi that you get from the book and it's really captivating to read.

KanuTGL
April 8th, 2013, 04:23 PM
Yeah, indeed :) I might just have to re-read it sometime, when I get some time to spare =P

Azerane
April 11th, 2013, 04:15 AM
Just stormed through Catching Fire and Mockingjay... now I may have to go back to reading Shardik.

cleargreenwater
April 11th, 2013, 12:11 PM
I never attempted to read Shardik. I know I tried the one human-based book of his, "Maya" or something it was, and never finished it. He wrote one about General Lee's horse Traveller, though, totally loved that one because I'm an American Civil War buff, it was the best of all worlds.

As for me, I have not been reading books because I'm really trying to work my way through a stack of 2 years worth of "American Archeology" magazines. I'm not really into it at the moment, but I'm so sick of shifting this pile around various places in the house and can't bear to pack them away un-read on (OCD?) principle, so.....slogging through them, and finding a zillion other things to do instead, too.

Azerane
April 12th, 2013, 07:28 AM
I never attempted to read Shardik. I know I tried the one human-based book of his, "Maya" or something it was, and never finished it. He wrote one about General Lee's horse Traveller, though, totally loved that one because I'm an American Civil War buff, it was the best of all worlds.

I loved Traveller so much. Have been meaning to re-read it for years, but need to buy it online first. A novel from an animal's perspective was probably the only way I was ever going to enjoy a war novel :lol: Also, I feel guilty because I didn't go back to Shardik, though I do have to read it all at some point, I suppose I'm just delaying the inevitable.

Safila
June 26th, 2013, 07:56 AM
I am # Four

Azerane
December 1st, 2013, 05:07 AM
Stories Rabbits Tell, which is an informative book about all aspects of rabbit keeping and societal views etc. Also just finished reading Black Beauty. Had it on my bookshelf for years and years, but never read it till now. It was ok.

Safila
December 1st, 2013, 12:03 PM
Frankie (magazine).

HasiraKali
December 2nd, 2013, 12:08 AM
Blood Oath by Christopher Farnsworth. It's about a vampire in the president's service since the Civil War. It's really good. But why can't I read books that are not part of a series? I'm going to read the second book of the Beautiful Creatures series now.

Safila
February 16th, 2014, 01:06 AM
Tomorrow When The War Began - John Marsden

Utora
March 9th, 2014, 03:30 PM
Two books currently;

Stalin's Ghost by Martin Cruz Smith (I love the Arkady Renko novels...)
5 Lovve Languages by Gary Chapman (studying...)

Kirauni
November 19th, 2014, 07:35 AM
I'm currently reading Book 1 (Lone Wolf) of the "Wolves of the Beyond"-series by "The Legend of the Guardians"-author Kathryn Lasky.
I've already read it a few years ago in English. That was way before I started reading the LotG-books and so many things seemed quite odd to me and didn't make sense at all. But now I'm reading it again (the German version) and this time I enjoy it quite much. Yes, it's still a bit strange at times and there are several flaws in the story, but apart from that Kathryn did a very nice job of describing young Faolans bounding to his mother Thunderheart.

For those of you who don't know the series, it's a spin-off from the LotG-series and deals with a wolf pup called Faolan who has been left by his pack to die. That's because he has a strangely-marked paw and it's the way of the wolves in the stories. He is then adopted by a grizzly bear called thunderheart. A very touching story indeed :)

Kossu
December 7th, 2014, 11:46 PM
Howl's moving castle by Diana Wynne Jones(for the second time).I like both the book and the Studio Ghibli adaptation equally,even though the book has a clearer plotline compared to the movie.

Currently reading Born Free by Joy Adamson.That wonderful book was rotting in my bookcase for almost two years...

Azerane
December 20th, 2014, 09:03 AM
In the past 3 days I've burned through Into the Wild and Ice and Fire, the first two books in the Warriors series. I've read the first one before, but never picked up the second one till now. They're the only two books in the series I own though, so now I'm left itching to read more with nothing to read.

lionobsession
December 20th, 2014, 11:16 PM
I read one of Jeffrey Archer's stories from A Twist in the Tale called Just Good Friends. As the title of the collection suggests, there is a pretty big twist. It' soundly short and I would recommend reading just to find out the twist at the end!

HasiraKali
December 23rd, 2014, 11:47 PM
I'm currently reading a book that one of my students loaned me. It's a Doctor Who novel called The Deviant Strain. It's a Nine adventure with Captain Jack, so that's pretty cool.

Azerane
December 24th, 2014, 08:16 AM
Just finished Marshworld, followed by Witchwood, from the Kine saga.

Safila
February 19th, 2015, 12:08 PM
Spellcaster.

Kossu
December 19th, 2016, 07:01 PM
Just finished the "Hogfather" by Terry Pratchett. Any Pratchett fans around here? :kiaralook: I really love his works. I've almost read half of the Discworld series the past 2 years (about 20 out of the 40+ books that he wrote).

Nit
December 19th, 2016, 08:17 PM
Pratchett is my favourite writer! Have you read "Nation"? :D

Kossu
January 2nd, 2017, 06:03 PM
Yay, another Pratchett fan! :D

I haven't read "Nation" yet sadly, but I certainly intend to! This far I've read the Watch series (my favourite! I've read it all twice already), the Witches books and some of the Death books. Also some stand-alone Discworld novels, randomly picked. If I'm not mistaken, "Nation" is unrelated to the Discworld series, right?

And I'm reading Pyramids right now.:sarabiwink:

Kossu
June 19th, 2017, 08:54 AM
Mistborn: The final empire by Brandon Sanderson.

There was a lot of building up and at some point it felt tiring, but boy, it turned out to be an amazing book! Currently reading the sequel.:D

KanuTGL
June 19th, 2017, 06:42 PM
The Helicopter Heist by Jonas Bonnier. It was a semi-fictional book about the robbers of the Västberga cash depot in Stockholm from a few years ago, and I really enjoyed it. There was an amazing twist ending that I genuinely smiled all the way through :lol: One of the better fictions I've read in a while!

Lyonize
July 6th, 2017, 06:23 AM
Currently reading Bravelands by Erin Hunter (http://www.warriorcats.com/bravelands). I highly recommend it to anyone here.

Kossu
July 8th, 2017, 11:46 PM
^
Oh, that's rather interesting! An Erin Hunter book about lions, I must get my hands on that.:ooo:

Two days ago I finished Mistborn: The well of Ascension by Brandon Sanderson. Currently reading the last book of the trilogy, The Hero of Ages. I am really clueless and curious as to how the trilogy will conclude...Though I have a bad feeling about it.:worried:

Leorgathar
July 9th, 2017, 05:54 AM
It's been a while since I read a book, last one I read was 'Fell', the sequel of 'The Sight' by David Clement-Davies. I quite liked it :)
I'm very interested in Bravelands too! I'll look into getting my hands on it as well :D

But right now I just started to read a book that a real life friend of mine wrote and published (I remember him mentioning his writing years ago, but I didn't think he would actually finish it! color me impressed o.o). It's a science-fiction novel called 'La Sombra del Culto' (The Shadow of the Cult). It's only available in Spanish right now, though.

Kossu
September 2nd, 2017, 04:53 PM
"The Subtle knife" by Philip Pullman.

It was rather disappointing. I set off to read "His Dark materials" trilogy and I was really looking forward to it. Book one was great (The northern lights), book two was going downhill (the strong heroine suddenly becoming a damsel in distress and hardly existing) and...I stopped reading book 3, because it was difficult to care about any character any more. Too many things seemed to happen just for the sake of happening, there was not enough development. :blah:

Currently reading "Elantris" by Brandon Sanderson and as soon as I'm done with that, I'll get my hands on my "Watership Down" copy that a friend gave me as a birthday gift.:D

Kirauni
September 3rd, 2017, 01:11 PM
I'm currently reading a german book called "Tigerprinz". It's a story about a tiger cub whose parents got murdered by his uncle. Oh and he was destined to rule the jungle... sounds familiar? Yes, that book has a lot with TLK in common. ;)

Kossu
March 30th, 2018, 12:15 AM
Oathbringer by Brandon Sanderson.

What can I say...It was quite a ride. There were scenes that made me weep throughout the book. And that's one of the 2-3 times that a book has caused me such strong feelings. The Stormlight archive series is so far amazing.:wow: