PDA

View Full Version : New Poem Inspired by TLK: Serengeti Storm

2 Die FR
February 22nd, 2005, 04:29 AM
I found inspiration for this poem when I awoke last Saturday at about 4 in the morning to the sounds of thunderclaps and rain thudding against the windowpane. I couldn't get back to sleep, so I just lay in bed, listening to the lonely sounds of a Southern California storm- weather very unique to us. Later that day the winds picked up and it even hailed at one point! And the more I listened and watched, the more I felt the need to capture the moment, and this poem almost wrote itself. Hope you like it!

Serengeti Storm
By 2 Die FR

Listen, as I reminisce
Of cubhood times I sorely miss?

Sun stretched golden fingers bright
O?er the rolling landscape might
Grasses touched by blinding light
Yes, Child, I remember when
It was the Pridelands, as I knew it then.

Evening fell, and heavens clear
Overlaid with cloud clumps drear
Shrouded by a murky smear
Source from which the rains begot
It was the storm cloud, though I knew it not.

With no pretext we were shunt
From our nightly dinner hunt
All knew why, save one small runt
Na?ve to the danger fraught
It was the wet season, though I knew it not.

Songs of somnolent snoring deep
Stubbornly subsiding sleep
As I felt foreboding creep
Stomach taut in nervous knot
It was instinct, though I knew it not.

Nose inhaled a humid hung
Piling on the stench of dung
Hint of morbid things to come
Wafting, lurking through the den
It was a warning, though I knew not when.

Ears pricked to the pitter patter
From outside, a creepy clatter
Sheets of clear descending water
I believed not ear nor eye
It was the rain, though I knew not why.

Then a deep, resounding rumble
Some behemoth lion?s grumble
Roared to make assurance tumble
Fierce intruder raised a scare
It was the thunder, though I knew not where.

From the darkness came so frightening
Flashed intense, ignited brightening
Struck a thin-streaked bolt of lightning
Gone at once but left a terror
All I knew was panicked horror.

Wailing, whimpering, weeping strong
Freed distress I?d held so long
What, oh what was going on?
Was the world about to end?
I knew not how to comprehend?

Ceaselessly I kept on screaming
Wishing dearly I was dreaming
Hoped I?d wake to Mother beaming
But I knew that fright so real
Nightmares could not make me feel.

Cozy comfort cooed inside
Knowing that I could confide
I was with my caring pride
Their scent a friendly, pleasing smell
It was my family, and I knew them well.

Huddled close to one another
Father, uncle, sister, brother
I aroused my resting mother
Knowing she could empathize
And give her calming solace wise.

?Do not fear, my little child
For though the storm is fierce and wild
Filled with malice, irked and riled
Soon enough, the storm will cease
And earth restored to calm and peace.?

Thus the Serengeti flooding
Buried dormant, soaked and mudding
Grasses, trees, and flowers budding
With the storm comes joy, not tragic
It was the circle of life, and I learned of its magic.

Licks and kisses she caressed
My tender, loving lioness
Sat I amazed how I was blessed
But I lay still without a peep
For I knew it was nighttime, a time for sleep.

Darkslash
February 22nd, 2005, 04:49 AM
You have just Seriously Impressed me! That was a masterly piece of poetry!

Your rhyme scheme, with AAABB, the first three in a row give it a Poe-like quality... several rhymes in a row...

And the descriptive word choice...

And the clear message conveyed...

KEEP WRITING! I want to read more poems of yours!

Great work.

2 Die FR
February 22nd, 2005, 04:59 AM
Thanks so much, Darkslash! I guess I did benefit from the poetry unit I'm doing right now in language arts. And I WILL write more, provided I get those 'inspiring moments' more often!

...Now that I think about it, I usually get inspiration either daydreaming in my room, in bed or while I'm taking a shower:eek:...any free time I get when my mind is left free to wander, wonder about things...:Psst:

Darkslash
February 22nd, 2005, 05:01 AM
Poetry is a great medium of expression... though it can be a pain to learn in school, actually writing it makes it worth it!

2 Die FR
February 22nd, 2005, 05:07 AM
Originally posted by Darkslash
Poetry is a great medium of expression... though it can be a pain to learn in school, actually writing it makes it worth it!
Oh, oh, Darkslash I want to put that in flashing lights for all the world to see! It is SUCH a pain to pull apart dull, prosaic poems and find meaning statements...I suppose it is worthwhile in the long run, but I worry sometimes that my LA teacher isn't showing us (that is, the other students) the real beauty of poetry- writing poems yourself.
It is SO much fun!

Darkslash
February 22nd, 2005, 05:15 AM
Yeah, I'm used to sucking dry all the meaning of poems... especially Whitman and Dickinson, as well as Longfellow and other Romantics... but that's just my AP class for 'ya. I think it's fascinating, but I didn't really appreciate poems until I wrote 'em, and I was proud :)

2 Die FR
February 22nd, 2005, 05:18 AM
And, of course, writing them on worthwhile subjects ;)

Green_Eyes
February 22nd, 2005, 05:18 AM
2 Die For, your poetry is well...to die for!!!

Oh am I ever a grouchy one, but this is definately a place for complementing, well done!!!
I'm sure we'd all love to read more of your work. ^^

2 Die FR
February 22nd, 2005, 05:24 AM
:cheese:My fingers are crossed...inspiration knows no boundaries, but if I can use an analogy from my own poem, it works like lightning- one brilliant flash and it's gone!

-Which is why I typically keep a small notebook and pen in my pocket at all times ;)

Darkslash
February 22nd, 2005, 05:25 AM
^ smart idear...

unregistered user
February 22nd, 2005, 05:44 AM
Originally posted by 2 Die FR
:cheese:My fingers are crossed...inspiration knows no boundaries, but if I can use an analogy from my own poem, it works like lightning- one brilliant flash and it's gone!

-Which is why I typically keep a small notebook and pen in my pocket at all times ;)

I second that, 2DR.:) I enjoy writing poetry as well as books/small pieces. That truly was a fantastic poem! I also like the comment that your rhyme scheme AAABB was quite amazing.:) I've seen to many free verse poems and it's good to see a change by you 2DR. Poetry does come within an inspiration.:) Judging by what you've conjured, you seem to have a knack, a talent for poetry writing. I'm sure you've considered entering your poem into a contest at some point or another, that I'm sure of.:cheese: I seem to, anyways. Anyways, awesome poem! and keep it up. I truly look forward to seeing other poems you've created.:) I really should post some of my own. Oh, you've done more than hoped us to like it 2DR, I thought it was really mind-capturing, well to me anyways; since I was one to witness the rain.:)

Heh, it was raining pretty bad yesterday and today. =/ I'm glad you posted that poem.

Darkslash
February 22nd, 2005, 05:47 AM
I truly look forward to seeing other poems you've created. I really should post some of my own. Oh, you've done more than hoped us to like it 2DR, I thought it was really mind-capturing, well to me anyways; since I was one to witness the rain.
Yeah we need a thread for posting poetry or something... 'cuz I didn't know there was so much poetry action here! And Africa/TLK is such rich subject matter! I have a few of my own...

But yes, 2DR... those were very enthralling, mentally engaging poems!

(I can't get enough of 'em, can I? :)

2 Die FR
February 22nd, 2005, 05:55 AM
Aw shucks, guys...I'm really glad you all liked it. *beams*:browlift: It just flows for me...I don't want to make myself out to be a showoff or some praise-seeking jerk though, so please...all pride aside, I love poetry. It's something that just comes natural, and it was fun writing it. I think that if you can write something that captivates the mind to think about something on a deeper level, long after you've read it...It does the same thing that makes TLK so enduring to me. So that's why I decided to share that with you...

Azerane
February 22nd, 2005, 06:10 AM
wow... 2 Die FR that is absolutly amazing, such great imagery, and I love how you've written it from the perspective of the lion. It's such a beautiful piece of poetry, I could see everything you were describing so clearly. Seriously, well done.

unregistered user
February 22nd, 2005, 06:11 AM
Ditto.:)

And no, you wouldn't be some showoff or praise-seeking jerk, you shouldn't say that about yourself. Your poem was magnificent and it deserved to be praised!:cheese: As well as the creator of it.:):hugs: Great job 2DR.:hugs: Poems that have been put into much thought, consideration and time, really capture the spirit of the poet, the person who is writing it, you really get to understand every bit of what they are expressing to their audience, and that, really sets the flavor of the atmosphere and the aura of it. It's what you've managed to create and have done here. What you have, your talent is irresplaceable as well as the poem, to capture a single feeling at that moment in time, it's almost as if your' seeing a photograh. Inspiration brings even more creativity and liveliness to it. So don't render yourself down, you're too modest.:bleen::lol: This is your poem and these are your feelings in that exact moment in time. I'm glad you've shared us this incredible poem, 2DR. Don't be shy about it. Honest.

Since you began this thread...you could turn it into your own personal poem thread. If you'd like.:)

EDIT: Remember 2DR, It's all about the flava'. XD;):lol:

2 Die FR
February 22nd, 2005, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by Kenyi
Remember 2DR, It's all about the flava'. XD;):lol:

:lol: Oh yes, it is, it really is

But thank you so much Kenyi:hugs: I won't be so hesitant to share my work anymore...

And yes, if I come up with more poems, this will be the place to find 'em ;)

Edit: WHEN I come up with more poems!!

Lion Roar
February 22nd, 2005, 07:15 AM
Great poem 2 Die FR!! :wow: =D

Aurelian
February 22nd, 2005, 05:05 PM
Absouluty heart warming 2 Die 4! :browlift: Keep up the good work.

Originally posted by Darkslash
I have a few of my own...

Yes you do, Darkslash. You to are a master poet. I still have those wolf poems you wrote.

LunarCat
February 23rd, 2005, 12:01 AM
That's really wonderful 2 Die Fr. its very good. i mean really really good. :D :cheese:

2 Die FR
February 25th, 2005, 12:37 AM
With a stroke of coincidence and a little encouragement (stay kenyi! ;)) there is a district teen poetry contest and I'm seriously considering entering.

Azerane
February 25th, 2005, 03:00 AM
I think you should definetly enter, you have so much talent when it comes to poetry. :cheese: Please enter, I think you've got a good chance of winning! *waves a flag* GO 2 Die FR!!!!

2 Die FR
February 25th, 2005, 03:05 AM
Cash prizes for the winners, too!:cheese:
Oh.:woeisme: Not saying that I'll win or anything, that'd be a cocky attitude:irule:

LunarCat
February 25th, 2005, 03:30 AM
you should definitely enter it 2 Die Fr. your poem is absolutely fabulous!!!!!!! :D :cheese: ;)

2 Die FR
February 25th, 2005, 03:46 AM
Thanks, hehe.:browlift:
I think I'll remove the TLK references before I submit it though. I wouldn't want to be accused of 'presenting a non-original idea.'

So I'll just switch 'pridelands' with 'homeland,' and so on...just make it sound like a non-specific short narrative poem based in Africa

unregistered user
February 25th, 2005, 03:57 AM
With a stroke of coincidence and a little encouragement (stay kenyi! ;)) there is a district teen poetry contest and I'm seriously considering entering.

:lol: Haha, 2DR. I was afraid I was going to have to attack you!:lol::p But I'm sure you've heard of me already. I'm already said all there is to say about my opinion on you entering that contest. Honestly, you really do have an exquisite talent, and I'm not just saying that as one of those cheap 'one-liners', seriously...I sort of *want* you to join, and I know you'll win because I have faith in you 2DR, despite your public speaking phobia *ahem ahem* XD, but you know what exactly what I mean dude, lol. I know you'll win...and even if you don't, you're still a winner to me, no matter what man, win or lose, so really...it's a win-win situation.:cheese::hugs: *Hugs to ya* Don't be afraid to express you thoughts and feelings to the world (or the school, lol), I know it's scary at first, but...once you keep going, it'll be a piece of cake. Trust me. I've done many public-speaking, in clubs, groups, audience, school, family, friends, classroom and...to tell you the truth, it's scary at first, but...when you really get into it, the part where you're really focusing on your poem and ignoring the others, it's not so bad or scary. *Won't admit to the moments that he really was scared in front of an audience* but that was in the past! lol. Oh, I know a way (I told you already) just imagine in everybody in their undergarments doing the hokey-pokey.:bleen: Works for me...:cheese::D *Ahem, not approved by the FD-Kenyi, btw*;) XD. *Will have more to say*

2 Die FR
March 4th, 2005, 05:31 AM
Originally posted by Kenyi
just imagine in everybody in their undergarments doing the hokey-pokey.:bleen: Works for me...:cheese::D *Ahem, not approved by the FD-Kenyi, btw*;) XD. *Will have more to say*
:lol: :lol: :lol: I would love to try that but I'm afraid I'd start bursting out laughing in the middle of an oral presentation!

EDIT: I am in the works of writing another poem, will probably take me awhile though...

lion_roog
March 4th, 2005, 09:47 AM
Cash prizes for the winners, too!:cheese:
Oh.:woeisme: Not saying that I'll win or anything, that'd be a cocky attitude:irule:

Awesome Poem, Dude!!!!.:cheese:

And sometimes you need to be cocky, but ya gotta know when to show it....I mean, I don't just say I'll win, I expect to win......I just don't make a big deal out of it because other people will do that for ya.....:D

2 Die FR
March 15th, 2005, 05:30 AM
Okay, I promised I would post my poetry works in this thread, and so here is my latest piece. Completely un-TLK-related, for starters, and, well you'll see the tone and style is almost the exact opposite of the other one I wrote. It felt extremely satisfying to write this, it helped me express several emotions that have been accumulating inside of me for a very long time.
btw- this poem refers to no one in particular, no one at Lea, no one else. I addressed the idea, not a person.

Free At Last

By 2DieFR

Go ahead, read this,
See if I care!
For once,
I am right
And you are wrong.
And I don?t care
What you say,
Because this time
There is nothing
You can do
To stop me.

A thin, tender leaf, newly budded, still crumpled and crinkled
Reaches out into the real world, unfurling its verdant face
Held aloft high above by the reassuring grip of its mother tree
Anxious and eager, optimistic for the possibilities.

Then a vicious gust of wind rips the leaf clean off
Sending it flying helplessly away into Oblivion
Now it is at the mercy of an uncontrollable power
Blowing back and forth to places it did not choose to go.

Finally left alone to rest, the leaf, torn, withered, dying
Just when it thought the worst was over, without warning
Gets crushed under the sole of a stomping shoe, that grinds it
Into a million tiny emerald shards, that lifelessly blow away.

Am I getting my point across?
You never were much of the analytical type.
Maybe I?d better start speaking your language
Just to make sure we see eye to eye.

I?m sick and tired
Of your nagging and ranting
Holding everything against me
Milking it for all its worth.
I?m fed up with serving as
Your source
Of insensitive satisfaction
Making yourself all high and mighty
As though you are
The paragon of perfection
When in fact that very frame
Of your perverted mind
Makes you inferior.
And I?ve known this all before,
History tends to repeat itself
But there comes a point
Where the same old jokes
Just aren?t funny anymore
And it?s about time
I take a stand
For what I?ve known was right
All along.

I look in the mirror
And I don?t see me.
I see a stranger
In my bodily reflection
A figure sculpted from clay
Molded at will
By filthy hands
Shaped to be
No one
Influenced to be
No one
Shunned from ability
Smashed to a level so low
There is nowhere left to go
But flatten out
Pounded into a pitiful pancake
On the floor.

I?ve had enough
Of your manipulations.
I want to be ME!

I want to be the person I have always dreamed of being
The personage I envisioned, but never realized.
I want to do what I have always wanted to do
With no restrictions whatsoever to get in my way.
If that means breaking away from normality,
I?LL TAKE IT!
If that means sacrificing some stupid social status,
SO BE IT!
Man, does that feel good to shout at the top of my lungs!
Because you see, I don?t care anymore!
I don?t care about what you think of me!
Because you know what?
That?s your problem, not mine!
If I become the person I want to be,
Why should I worry about what the critics say?
I am free, at last.

So go ahead, read this,
See if I care!
For once,
I am right
And you are wrong.
And I don?t care
What you say,
Because this time
There is nothing
You can do
To stop me.

---------------

Azerane
March 15th, 2005, 05:54 AM
oh man.... that poem was awesome 2 Die FR and also for some reason, it made me really sad :tears: :( I dunno what it was... but you did a great job of that poem... keep it up.

Darkslash
March 15th, 2005, 09:30 PM
More great work, 2 Die Fr!

I especially enjoyed the free verse sections; they rolled with a good rhythm.

2 Die FR
April 13th, 2005, 12:31 AM
After nearly a month of idleness, a long-awaited bit of inspiration of mine finds itself written in poetry form.

Once again, this poem is completely different than the others I have posted. This poem is on the topic of love, as it might be viewed from the eyes of a little girl trying to understand what love is all about.

Do you remember in kindergarten when you and all the other girls and boys played the silliest games about being boyfriend and girlfriend, holding hands and getting cooties and all that? Looking back, it's so childish and pointless. But then again, the junior high/high school romance in my experience is pretty juvenile too, not that much more meaningful or enduring than in elementary school- just more serious if it doesn't work out. At least, that's my viewpoint on the matter. My girlfriend broke up with me two weeks ago. And now I think, maybe I still don't know what love is all about.

I was disappointed in grade school when we didn't learn just what love was; I thought we were going to learn all about it. Well, I never was taught, so the question remains. I think I have yet to know/experience what true love is.

Mommy, wat is luv?

~By 2 Die FR

Somthin strange happend
at skool today.
i was playin on the playgrond
and ten jonny cam up to me
said i luv you and kised me
on the chek rigt here, see rigt here!
and ten my frends thot it was
real funny cause he sed that
i felt like crying but i dont no why.
and ten cristy askd me if i luv him
and she askd me if i was his girlfrend.
Mommy, wat dus that mean?
Mommy, wat is luv?
i ges i don?t no wat luv is
cause i don?t no wat she ment.

Mommy, is it the same luv as the kind
as when you tuk me in bed at nite
and read stores and give me
hugs and kises and say
goodnight my little princess?
dos that mean i need to kis jonny
and tell him i love him ten?
cause i think hes nice and cute boy
but i dont no if thats luv.

it must be speshul thoh cause
cristy says shes jellus of me
and she sed its not fair
i want to have a boyfrend too.
i said you can have mine i dont want it.
i dont want my frends to make fun of me.
but i want to no wat luv is about
so that maybe when im older
and i get an educashun and i get real smart
maybe ill really undurstand wat luv is.

jonny is a nice and cute boy
but cristy sed i hafta hold hands
with him and i sed eew gros cooties!
and ten i ran away from her cause she said
shes dun it and its lotsa fun
but i no better, i may not no wat
luv is but i do no wat cootes is and
noting is worth that.

LunarCat
April 13th, 2005, 01:14 AM
very good 2 Die Fr ;)

*remembers her elementary school experience*....

2 Die FR
July 19th, 2005, 09:53 PM
Inspiration tugs me, even when I'm not really supposed to be here anymore...

All at Once
------------

All at once
I believe
You can be

At the pinnacle of joy
At the deepest depths of sorrow
At the woes of yesterday
At the promise of tomorrow

All at once

Filled with bold self-confidence
Filled with fear and doubt
Filled with kind humility
Filled with pride throughout

I believe

In a peaceful slumber
In an anxious mess
In a foolish failure
In a shrewd success

You can be

Showing weakness, showing strength
Showing health and pain
Showing patience, showing pique,
Showing ease and strain

All at once

As weightless as a feather
As heavy as a stone
Feel popular and wanted
Feel lost and all alone

I believe

Living nightmares, living dreams
Living at home and astray
Living fullest, living sparse
Living your best through today

You can be

Ending all your beginnings
Beginning all your ends
Hated by all your enemies
Loved by all your friends

All at once
I believe
You can be
All those things

But

That's okay
So you see
Live who you
Want to be

----------
~2DieFR

NalaX
July 19th, 2005, 10:18 PM
very good poems :D how long does it take ya to like think of them and write :confused:

2 Die FR
July 19th, 2005, 10:49 PM
It depends. Sometimes a few hours, sometimes weeks.

LunarCat
July 23rd, 2005, 10:24 PM
yay! more fantasticness 2DFR!!!!!! :wow: :D :cheese:

Kovu The Lion
July 23rd, 2005, 11:22 PM
Although you are gone, I didn't get to reply cause I wasnt on this Forums I'd still like to say, Good Job, that was awesome.