PDA

View Full Version : Kimba the White Lion

Ruska
January 30th, 2004, 03:57 PM
Yes, of course I just had to write this issue here.
Kimba, the White Lion is his name. But whaddaya know, does it sound kinda popular? Any relativity to Simba and TLK?

The real question is, do you think Disney really copied this anime series for it's own needs and then told everyone it was their idea? (Well not totally, the Hamlet stuff etc.)

They say TLK production name was King of the Jungle (or something very close to that), and then why is the original Japanese name of Kimba the White Lion Jungle Emperor?
The Jungle Emperor was first released in Japan in the 50's as a manga, in the 60's came the anime.

What do you think?

Oh, and remember to check these links: http://www.kimbawlion.com/rant2.htm, check the main site too: http://www.kimbawlion.com/ and download the theme.
http://reekan-j.hp.infoseek.co.jp/60ani5.html
http://members.aol.com/simba026/tlk_compare_table.htm
http://members.aol.com/simba026/tlk_compare_table.htm (some links)
http://koti.phnet.fi/otaku/jorina/animejaanimaatio.html (a Finnish link, not much use for you but STM can check it out ^_^)

I would wanna get that Jungle Emperor Leo somewhere, but I don't think we have those in Finland.

unregistered user
January 30th, 2004, 04:44 PM
I'm such a fan of TLK and never even heard of "Kimba" back in 1994 so as far as I go, I'm just going to acknowledge what I saw first. (I know that Kimba came out first but I'm really tired of seeing that the majority of animation in the U.S. nowadays is Manga or Japanimation or something of that nature.) There are plenty of animators in the U.S. that DONT do this type of animation and I would LOVE to see more of their work again.
I blame Pokemon!

Sorry.........had to rant.

Naline
January 30th, 2004, 05:27 PM
Hmmm, i've read all the stuff on http://www.kimbawlion.com/ before and its BLATANTLY obvious that disney copied the idea!! There are SOOOOOOO many similarities that it CANT be coincidence!!!!

Especially seeing as Mathew Broderick confessed that he was originally cast by disney as Kimba the white lion!!!! Its a bit blatant really isnt it!!!!

Also, up until TLK disney had always copied stories from other sources and made them their own, so why would they suddenly decide to make a 'COMPLETELY ORIGINAL IDEA'!!!!! Well, its because it wasn't intended to be an original idea but they found out that they couldn't get the legal rights to Kimba!!!! But by then it was too late and they'd already invested money in the project, so they had to go ahead regardless but change a few things to make it look like it was an original idea!!!

But, knowing that its a rip off doesn't make me like the film any less, its still the best and always will be, regardless of the 'behind the scenes' treachery that disney (or any company) have to do to make money!!!

So, at the end of the day, Kimba sucks and Simba RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(im my opinion)

Ruska
January 30th, 2004, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by RyansLion
I'm such a fan of TLK and never even heard of "Kimba" back in 1994 so as far as I go, I'm just going to acknowledge what I saw first. (I know that Kimba came out first but I'm really tired of seeing that the majority of animation in the U.S. nowadays is Manga or Japanimation or something of that nature.) There are plenty of animators in the U.S. that DONT do this type of animation and I would LOVE to see more of their work again.
I blame Pokemon!

Sorry.........had to rant.

I'm not sure did I understand you rite but Kimba is not American, it's Japanese anime (and manga too). You can't draw anime (or manga) outside of Japan, even though it looked like anime (or manga).

unregistered user
January 30th, 2004, 08:38 PM
Now that I read my post again, I guess it is a little confusing. I know that Kimba is from Japan (circa 1965) or so, and that it basically IS the inspiration for the Lion King. On a completely different subject, I've never liked Manga or Japanimation and have noticed that all of the animation on nowadays here in the U.S. is just that. It's just frustrating becuase I know a lot of animators who would love to have their work and some of the older stuff shown again.
But this is a discussion for another board at another time. I should have just answered your post the first time instead of ranting. Sorry about the confusion. :cheese:

Ngatuny
January 30th, 2004, 11:08 PM
It would not surprise me but I haven't seen any of the Kimba Manga or animation, so I can't say for shure.:confused::evilgrin:

unregistered user
January 31st, 2004, 02:47 PM
It sure was an inspiration, but I don't like that Kimba guy one bit so I'll just pretend that Lion King was there first :wicked:

unregistered user
January 31st, 2004, 03:17 PM
That's basically what I was saying earlier. Long live Simba! Kimba who? :lol:

unregistered user
January 31st, 2004, 04:58 PM
Hmm...Well, in my opinion, it doesn't really matter what the source material is (whether it be Kimba, or Hamlet). What is important is that they manage to do a good job at creating their version (which they most certainly did).

Naline
January 31st, 2004, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by another_tomato
Hmm...Well, in my opinion, it doesn't really matter what the source material is (whether it be Kimba, or Hamlet). What is important is that they manage to do a good job at creating their version (which they most certainly did).

Exactly, well said!!!!!

unregistered user
February 1st, 2004, 12:15 AM
Thank you! :cheese:

Naline
February 1st, 2004, 12:21 AM
Hakuna Matata!! 'tis very very true tho, i went into a rant to try and get the same point across but u said it soooo simply!

Sharifu
February 1st, 2004, 05:45 AM
Ugh, I am so tired of Kimba topics at TLK message boards. :yuck:

Sharifu
February 1st, 2004, 06:00 AM
Check out these funny Kimba/Lion King fanart pictures done by Snowy:

http://fanart.lionking.org/imgarchive/FanArt/Snowy/Men.jpg

http://fanart.lionking.org/imgarchive/FanArt/Snowy/TrickOrTreat.jpg

I love your art Snowy! =D

EDIT: Oops, thanks for pointing that out Kdala. I fixed the links now and they should work. :cheese:

unregistered user
February 1st, 2004, 09:26 AM
sharifu, the links don't work , at least not on my pc

Ruska
February 1st, 2004, 10:18 AM
Okay, so let's just assume you would have done something great, a comic for example. Now how would you feel if Diney (for example) stole it from you and claimed it was it's own idea? Not good, I assume.

The point is that they should have put even a small text to ending credits, honored to the creator of Kimba, Osamu Tezuka;

Based on a story by Osamu Tezuka.

That would be fair, wouldn't it?

Originally posted by Sharifu
Ugh, I am so tired of Kimba topics at TLK message boards. :yuck:
And no one forces you to read these. :uhno:

unregistered user
February 1st, 2004, 01:43 PM
The point is that they should have put even a small text to ending credits, honored to the creator of Kimba, Osamu Tezuka;That would be fair, wouldn't it?

The Disney company doesn't play fair, but their fans really wish they would. That's why subjects like this keep coming back on Lion King message boards.

Anyone see this News Story? (http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/11/24/1069522516621.html?) :

Summary:
The Walt Disney Company pulled out of the new film
version of Peter Pan after refusing to give its share of profits to
the copyright holders, a children's hospital in England.

One producer connected to the film said Disney was "trying to pretend
that they left the project for all sorts of reasons . . . The bottom
line is that they wanted a share of the merchandising but did not
want to pay for it."

The continued success of the Disney animated versions of Peter Pan
has also not carried through to the copyright owners.

Last year Disney wrote to a Scottish retailer demanding she change
the name of her Peter Pan clothes shop because it infringed the
Disney company's copyright. The retailer was, however, able to keep
the name after the actual copyright owners issued a statement
confirming that they owned the copyright and were happy to let the shop
continue trading in exchange for a one-off payment of ?500.

With Kimba/Lion King, they could change the name and color of the main character and pretend they never heard of the original. With Peter Pan, that kind of thing wouldn't work, so they stomped off like a spoiled child.

The Disney company also sued to try to prevent the newest addition to the Kimba story (the Jungle Emperor Leo movie) from being shown in Canada--even though they had no right to try to do that, either.

Roy Disney is trying to put an end to the way the Disney company has been doing things for so long now. Check out SaveDisney.com (http://www.savedisney.com/).

Sadiki
February 1st, 2004, 07:24 PM
I just have to say that I don't really care witch is first.
and what i can say for that is that life isn't fair, is it?
---Continue read messages---

Fuzzy
February 3rd, 2004, 08:46 AM
hm... i read alot about this some place....

Sadiki
February 3rd, 2004, 09:30 AM
yes... me too
but still i don't care... or i don't wan't to make that out...
The thruth is out there somewhere:cheese:

unregistered user
February 4th, 2004, 03:33 AM
We'll get Mulder and Scully on it a.s.a.p. :lol:

Sadiki
February 4th, 2004, 12:12 PM
Who Needs Kimba? I beleave in Simba^^
Still search the thruth.

nathalie
February 4th, 2004, 12:19 PM
I have never ever heard of the white lion before.

Naline
February 4th, 2004, 12:32 PM
Trust me, your not missing out if you haven't ;)

hehe, u are funny RyansLion :lol:

nathalie
February 4th, 2004, 12:37 PM
Hmm... now I'm currius.

Naline
February 4th, 2004, 01:04 PM
You can find out about it at the website below and download clips from it if you're ur curious!!

http://www.kimbawlion.com/

unregistered user
February 4th, 2004, 01:47 PM
I just saw the same another place

Talking about Disneys "Atlantis: The lost empire
and "Nadia:Secret of blue water"

Its the same thing " Did disney copy it?"

My answear is NO since theres so many films out, its impossible not to copy 1 sometime

nathalie
February 4th, 2004, 01:48 PM
Haven't you heard about the "Finding Nemo" story?

Some guy from France is saying that Disney stole his idea or something like that.

Sadiki
February 4th, 2004, 08:42 PM
yes. I have heard that... Stupid peoples :grrr:

unregistered user
February 4th, 2004, 09:03 PM
yea some people are like "Thats the same story as mine!" and then they want money from the company

Sadiki
February 6th, 2004, 10:34 AM
After this thread started i feel that i have talk this before in this forum... And i was right >>> http://www.leahalalela.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=65

Fuzzy
February 12th, 2004, 05:29 AM
Yeah I thought I had read about that here before and it was intresting.. But wasn't sure if it was here.. Now i remember that one too.. thanks STM.

Huma
February 13th, 2004, 03:35 AM
I've read about this too much, Let's just say that's all animators' business issue. The story of TLK what we care is totally different from any other.

Fuzzy
February 13th, 2004, 06:28 AM
yeah... anyway I like simba much better even if hes a Kimba 2.0! ;)

unregistered user
February 13th, 2004, 06:46 AM
All of this is so ridiculous. I think I'm gonna sue Disney becuase earlier today I had a ham and cheese sandwich and I heard that one of Disney's top animators had the SAME thing today!!
Oh, I feel so violated!
:lol:

Sillydog47
August 3rd, 2004, 05:45 PM
Kimba ish mine BWAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!!!!!!

unregistered user
August 3rd, 2004, 05:55 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaalirhgty than :p

Mushroom
August 3rd, 2004, 06:31 PM
I say yes but TLK was lightyears better then that Kimba crap! (Terrible animation!) True it was 1980 but by that time Disney was about to release Fox and the Hound! Now that was 1981 animation!

unregistered user
August 3rd, 2004, 06:49 PM
I don't think it was a copy. :idiot: That's all I have to say about that ^^

Ruska
August 3rd, 2004, 06:56 PM
Oh just think what would happen if I posted this on an impartial forum. This is one of the things which irritate me in being a fan: you can't see the true facts.

Leopatra
August 3rd, 2004, 07:11 PM
The first Kimba series was made up in 1965.
There are several seasons of Kimba and the latest Movie (Jungle Emperor Leo) was made after the Lion King came out and if you look at it the beginning is very much like the Lion King. They just stole everything back ;) But I did not like this specific movie much since it left much out what was in the series and you can easily get confused.

I saw Kimba long before Lion King and liked it much when I was a kid. I think Kimba is one of the reasons that I love Lions so much.

I also would like to see Bagi (which is also from Osamu Tezuka) in a dubbed version. The movie has a really great Story.

unregistered user
August 3rd, 2004, 07:14 PM
I think they just had smilar ideas is all or did it without meaning to. For example; in my fan fic.. *whispers* my main character has a history very similar to that of Darth Vader from Star Wars*.. and I hadn't meant to do that at all people, so things like that can happen :idiot: And that's what I think happened here.

Leopatra
August 3rd, 2004, 07:26 PM
http://www.marts.terramail.pl/linki_humor/kimba%20copy.jpg

Dare
August 3rd, 2004, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by Ruska
Oh just think what would happen if I posted this on an impartial forum. This is one of the things which irritate me in being a fan: you can't see the true facts.

"Truth" is all in the eye of the beholder my friend.
;)

But as for the original question...

No, I don't think TLK was a copy of Kimba, at least by my personal definition of the word "copy". There are enough similarities to lead me to believe that TLK was inspired by Kimba, but enough differences to lead me to believe that TLK is not a copy.

TakaTiger
August 3rd, 2004, 10:17 PM
well, i just dunno oO

Scully
August 3rd, 2004, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by RyansLion
We'll get Mulder and Scully on it a.s.a.p. :lol:

Exactly! I'm here...I wonder where that handsome hunk of flesh that is my partner is?

Dare
August 3rd, 2004, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by Scully
Exactly! I'm here...I wonder where that handsome hunk of flesh that is my partner is?

He's on a date with my sister.
:p

unregistered user
August 4th, 2004, 12:11 AM
hehe:lol: I think that they they didn't really copy it outright, and that they were originally gona have it as a re-make as Kinba, but chnaged it when they naw how much hype it was getting....

Leopatra
August 4th, 2004, 09:24 AM
Well the Stampede Idea is stolen from the Jungle Book anyways ;)

In the book Mowgli traps Shere Khan in a gorge and then he is overrun by some buffaloes.

So now, everyone who believes that Lion King isn't a rip off of Kimba is not allowed to rant in any way about "art theft" anymore, at least when it is about character markings, since, it is all coincidence, you know. ;)

Snowy
August 5th, 2004, 07:23 AM
If you get your hands on the Kimba series box set, there's an interview on it with an anime historian (who presents himself as a fairly impartial judge). His conclusion? Inspiration and/or tribute. In fact, so he says, Disney's B&tB has many many tributes to a French film adaptation of the same fairy tale, and no one cried bloody murder then.

I would also suggest taking much of the "evidence" found on the internet with a grain of salt, especially since it seems by and large to be the rabid Kimba fans who are dead-set on proclaiming TLK to be a rip-off who go about constructing sites, if not entirely dedicated to the controversy, then with a rant associated with it. That and I've noticed on more than one occasion that they don't get their TLK facts straight (the pride does not live in the jungle, contrary to some of the claims I've seen) or have a penchant for keying in on broadly generic concepts (OMG, Kimba and Simba both have dark ear markings...never mind that lions really do have dark ear markings). They also seem to neglect the idea of archetypes (the quest, for example) when casting their comparisons.

Anyway, per why there was never a lawsuit: Tezuka's estate decided against it. The similarities were determined to be a series of coincidences and nothing more. Thus, as far as the respective legal teams are concerned, this is a nonissue long since resolved.

Which just begs why it has such a long life on the internet. Well, the whole thing smacks of corporate cover-up, or downright conspiracy, made even more juicy by the fact that, for almost a decade, this supposed "copy" was the highest grossing animated film to date. But, anyway, at the end of the day, my guess is, there were a few intentional tributes -- a la the aforementioned "To be or not to be" scene in TLK -- but the crew couldn't acknowledge them due to the legal team stepping in and proclaiming, sweepingly and erroneously, that no one on TLK's production staff had ever so much as heard of Kimba, let alone come into contact with any related material. And that gave this whole thing lasting infamy. Let's hear it for the suits.

unregistered user
August 5th, 2004, 07:42 AM
hey Snowy :cheese: :hugs: Haven't seen you in a while.

Snowy
August 5th, 2004, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by Nuka
hey Snowy :cheese: :hugs: Haven't seen you in a while.

Home for summer = slow computer + dial-up connection + need to share with family members = sporadic online time. :p Which explains where I've been. ;)

unregistered user
August 5th, 2004, 08:14 AM
Ah, okay =) :hugs: some more *gives you DSL*

Leopatra
August 5th, 2004, 10:15 AM
Still, it is funny how many people like to cry art theft and then people not even admit that Lion King at least was inspired by Kimba ;) And not only Kimba, also Hamlet and Jungle Book.

jannali
August 6th, 2004, 05:00 AM
im tired of seeing this topic come up aswell. I do see the similarities between Kimba and TLK, but really, I dont think they copied it. Maybe they probably got some ideas from it, but if you watch the kimba series, its really a horrible show lol. the animation is horrible, but the story is competely idiotic. I mean, a vegetarian lion? please. You might as well say TLK copied Hamlet too! I'm sure Disney knew about Kimba at that time, and probably used it as inspiration for some of the characters, same with Hamlet, but TLk is all around a much stronger story. Why else would it be so much better remembered than Kimba?

Leopatra
August 6th, 2004, 10:46 AM
I mean, a vegetarian lion? please.

http://www.vegetarismus.ch/vegepet/tyke.htm

I think I will leave this thread now as people are arguing without propper background information.

unregistered user
August 6th, 2004, 06:04 PM
Wow, now that's interesting O.o But Leopatra, you can't blame Jannali for not knowing that, I mean, I doubt 99% of people know that O.o

Leopatra
August 6th, 2004, 06:52 PM
Nuka: It's not just Jannali's Post but also other posts where you can notice that people never really bothered with the subject matter and I can't be bothered having a little kids discussion: one party just says yes and the other just no and I don't want to wait until one party alleges they will kill the others with their magical laser eye power, you know. :kiss:

unregistered user
August 6th, 2004, 07:01 PM
Muahahahahaha! Magical laser eye power ^^ :cheese:

starlioness
August 6th, 2004, 10:23 PM
[and the other just no and I don't want to wait until one party alleges they will kill the others with their magical laser eye power, you know. :kiss: [/B][/QUOTE]

don't say that to someone who has that power ;)

unregistered user
August 6th, 2004, 10:49 PM
Indeed :nukasm:

CheshireCat
August 6th, 2004, 11:18 PM
of course they did. disney does it all the time.

nafklt
August 9th, 2004, 06:38 AM
I dunno

unregistered user
August 9th, 2004, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by CheshireCat
of course they did. disney does it all the time.
*agrees*

I want to see that movie Jungle Emperor Leo. *loves white lions*

Sadiki
August 9th, 2004, 09:31 PM
OMG... why people just can't stop talking about this... *shakes his head*

starlioness
August 11th, 2004, 02:57 AM
Originally posted by Scape
*agrees*

I want to see that movie Jungle Emperor Leo. *loves white lions*

I need a DVD player *steals one*:cheese: :)

Suki
September 19th, 2004, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by Sharifu
Check out these funny Kimba/Lion King fanart pictures done by Snowy:

http://fanart.lionking.org/imgarchive/FanArt/Snowy/Men.jpg

http://fanart.lionking.org/imgarchive/FanArt/Snowy/TrickOrTreat.jpg
http://fanart.lionking.org/Artists/Akril/KimbaName.gif
The artist says:

"An impulsive drawing...to explain: Kimba's name was a "creative alteration" of "Simba", meaning "lion" in Swahili. However, "Kimba" ALSO means something in Swahili...and it's not very flattering...no siree..."
XD *Goes off to teh Site King Simba posted about Swahili names*

unregistered user
September 19th, 2004, 04:55 AM
Suki, please don't bring up old topics =/

lion_roog
September 19th, 2004, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by Nuka
Suki, please don't bring up old topics =/

I agree, that's it, death is your punishment...:D

Suki
September 25th, 2004, 05:41 AM
:rolleyes: Go to your mommy.

lion_roog
September 25th, 2004, 05:49 AM
Oooo...she strait told you, Nuka....:nukasm: :metoo:

Suki
September 25th, 2004, 05:51 PM
http://lionkingdomain.com/OLD/home/imgal/1/The%20Lion%20King-286.jpg

Me evil. :evilgrin:

lion_roog
September 25th, 2004, 07:16 PM
Pure Evil....:D

Ruska
September 25th, 2004, 08:19 PM
Le sigh.

Suki, as formerly noted, do not bring up old topics if you don't have anything new to add about the matter. Now what does "me evil" have to do with Kimba anyway? *rolls eyes*

lion_roog
September 25th, 2004, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Ruska
Now what does "me evil" have to do with Kimba anyway? *rolls eyes*

Everything, isn't it obvious......:D

Ruska
September 25th, 2004, 08:35 PM
I'm just telling you to keep on topic instead of spamming threads. (And I say this in general, not only speaking of this thread. Lea has already had enough "random" threads as it is.)
Could a moderator lock this topic because this isn't leading to anything, please?

lion_roog
September 25th, 2004, 08:43 PM
But aren't real conversations like that, though? They will branch out on different tangents from the main topic. But I agree that this thread should be locked because there is really nothing new to add to it.

Ashara
February 15th, 2005, 10:13 PM
Am I the only one that thinks it's sorta wierd about the Japanese Kimba, and the American Simba? :confused:
I mean, sure, they have matching characters and stuff...and matching scenes...but we can have our own version, right? :curious:

Ashara
February 15th, 2005, 10:45 PM
TLK is by far better than that. Sure, we have better stuff to make it, but the story's more realistic.

LunarCat
February 15th, 2005, 11:02 PM
Simba all the way. ;) coincidences (sp?) happen! :D

Ashara
February 15th, 2005, 11:04 PM
lol. really. they've got tons of sights about people yelling about it.

unregistered user
February 15th, 2005, 11:37 PM
Simba all the waY!!!!:die:

That Kimba was something like Astroboy, and that cartoon stinks:eww:

Ashara
February 16th, 2005, 12:44 AM
LOL! Glad to see I'm not the only one :bleen: :evilgrin:
I occasionally see sites putting down TLK for that, and I'm like,"Oh, yeah...they would've known about some show that came on in Japan in the 70's!" :mad: :disagree: :huh:

King Simba
February 16th, 2005, 12:47 AM
Most definitely Simba. I don't know that much about Kimba. The only thing I know about him is that he's white and made by Japanese people. :hmm:

Dare
February 16th, 2005, 12:50 AM
Ah yes, the old Kimba/Simba debate...an oldie, but a goodie.

I'm seen Kimba, and personally, I think Simba is far more superior. Other than that, I don't think much about the entire Kimba/Simba thing anymore...

it's funny...you never really see any sites yelling about the slew of children's movies that rip off of Disney's stuff (mostly because they're small, unpopular movies that you can only find in the Walmart $1 bins)

Ashara
February 16th, 2005, 12:53 AM
I know. This topics been around awhile! Dude...them $1 bins used to be my sisters fav. place. She'd but all of these crap movies, and sell them for double the price.

HasiraKali
February 16th, 2005, 03:51 AM
Just a random little tidbit of information... Kimba means dungheap in Swahili. :evilgrin:

kimba { English: dungheap }
noun , pl vimba

kimba { English: heap of excrement }
noun , pl vimba

(Definitions from Kamusi project)

Now make your choice. XD :bleen:

lion_roog
February 16th, 2005, 05:57 AM
Kimba was originally going to be named Simba, since Leo was deemed to generic a name. But there was word that a soda was coming out called "Simba"....so they decided on Kimba.

TLK may have many simularities with Kimba, but Kimba is based off a true story about an African prince who is exiled after his father, the King, was murdered by his Uncle who took power. The Prince later returned to reclaim his kingdom....and that's all i know...Woot!.....:D

Shadow
February 16th, 2005, 06:02 AM
hmrrr....this Kimba sounds intresting......care to show me the name of the Japanise moive ?=D

Snowy
February 16th, 2005, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by shadow
hmrrr....this Kimba sounds intresting......care to show me the name of the Japanise moive ?=D

There's quite a bit of Kimba out there. The debate typically centers around the original TV series, which is out as a DVD boxed set. There's also the "sequel" series that was "Leo the White Lion", which came out on DVD more recently (past year, I think), though I don't believe in a boxed set.

"Kimba the Lion Prince" is a Canadian dub of the original series. Something about not having the rights to the audio. And then there's the 1989 remake series, "New Adventures of Kimba the White Lion" (if memory serves), that Pioneer Family supposedly butchered in their edit/dub.

There's a "Symphonic Poem" (think Disney's "Silly Symphonies" or even Fantasia -- all music, no dialogue) based on Kimba that covers what I guess would be akin to an episode or two of the story.

A movie was done back in the...'70s, I think. From what I understand, it was only made available in Japan. More recently, there was a 1997 film, Jungle Emperor Leo (or Jungle Taitei, aka Janguru Taitei), which is available on DVD.

Originally posted by lion_roog
Kimba is based off a true story about an African prince who is exiled after his father, the King, was murdered by his Uncle who took power. The Prince later returned to reclaim his kingdom....and that's all i know...

Er, that doesn't sound much like Kimba. Human hunters killed Kimba's father and Claw, the lion that takes over in Kimba's absence, is of no relation to either white lion.

Sadiki
February 16th, 2005, 01:57 PM
Argh... not again this conversation... there is tons of post about this in many threads.

nathalie
February 16th, 2005, 02:23 PM
Here it is ... : http://www.leahalalela.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=231&highlight=kimba

Maybe a mod can merge it or something?

Ngatuny
February 16th, 2005, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by nathalie
Here it is ... : http://www.leahalalela.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=231&highlight=kimba

Maybe a mod can merge it or something?

Threads merged:ayecapn:

lion_roog
February 17th, 2005, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by Snowy

Er, that doesn't sound much like Kimba. Human hunters killed Kimba's father and Claw, the lion that takes over in Kimba's absence, is of no relation to either white lion.

Hey!....It's my lie and I will tell it how I want.....:D

Lion Roar
February 17th, 2005, 02:58 PM
I really don't know if Disney copy it or not... I just like TLK and will still like it whether it's a copy or not. And I haven't seen nothing about Kimba, so I don't know if it's that similar or just some coincidences.

CheshireCat
February 19th, 2005, 01:00 AM
It's Hamlet.

Everyone knows that. And if you don't, you should and you do now. I'm not sure if Kimba copied Hamlet too... I've never seen Kimba. I'm allergic to 16 frame per second 20 cel color animation.

EVERY character in TLK can be mirrored back to a character in Shakespeare's Hamlet. Most all the major scenes are the same too. Only real difference is that there is a lead up to the point where the Hamlet plot starts (at Mufasa's death) and there is a happy ending. TLK is a Disney movie. Hamlet is an epic tragedy. It's a candy coated re-telling of the most celebrated play in the English language! TLK fans should love that. There's a bit of MacBeth tied in as well.

If you have read Hamlet and you are confuzzled, ask me something and I will explain.

Ashara
March 20th, 2005, 12:19 AM
What was the point of Kimba? Ya know how many whie lions there are in reality?

Kiara Serengeti
August 4th, 2005, 03:54 AM
There are similarities and I think Disney probably did copy from Kimba some. But h*ll, they copied from Hamlet, too. A lot of great movies, stories, books, are plagerism....we all do it.

Shoukai
August 4th, 2005, 08:34 PM
It's Hamlet.

Everyone knows that. And if you don't, you should and you do now. I'm not sure if Kimba copied Hamlet too... I've never seen Kimba. I'm allergic to 16 frame per second 20 cel color animation.

EVERY character in TLK can be mirrored back to a character in Shakespeare's Hamlet. Most all the major scenes are the same too. Only real difference is that there is a lead up to the point where the Hamlet plot starts (at Mufasa's death) and there is a happy ending. TLK is a Disney movie. Hamlet is an epic tragedy. It's a candy coated re-telling of the most celebrated play in the English language! TLK fans should love that. There's a bit of MacBeth tied in as well.

If you have read Hamlet and you are confuzzled, ask me something and I will explain.

I second that. Regarding Kimba vs. Simba however, I think that there are some very strong resembalances, but I dont think Disney would rip off such great work.

Melody of Scar
August 4th, 2005, 08:45 PM
It's Hamlet.

Hear, hear! :ayecapn:

I just think Kimba fans are jealous. :bleen:

Sombolia
August 4th, 2005, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Melody of Scar
I just think Kimba fans are jealous. :bleen:

:lol: Well of course they are.. we're more awesome than them. :evilgrin:

Kiara Serengeti
February 20th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Sorry to drag up a "used" topic, but I do have something constructive to add.
Yes, there's very little doubt TLK was based off of 'Kimba'. But it improves on the stories and adds original ideas. The combination of original animation and graphics plus the 'Kimba' factor is magical; maybe it was a little greedy, but plagerism is human nature. I'm not condoning it, but lot of things aren't completely original; there's parodies of shows and movies all over the place.

I think the fans of 'Kimba' overreact a little. The story was treated nicely and sparked interest in 'Kimba' anyway.

(p.s. Jungle Emporer Leo is excellent--and similar to TLK)

Ronno Fanatic
February 20th, 2007, 09:14 PM
I believe that disney was just doing what they have always done: remake an old, well-known story into one of their great cartoons. And it turned out nicely. Get back on track Disney before you go to he** in a bucket:rolleyes: :woeisme:

imported_kiara
February 20th, 2007, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Kiara Serengeti
Sorry to drag up a "used" topic

we're not allowed to bring up old topics, AND we're not allowed to start new threads either, then how the heck are we supposed to be able talk about things like this? Just something that struck me, cuz its bugging me to always hear im always writing wrong or are not allowed to talk in old threads anyway ...

For this Kimba thing, i think Disney copied it, but that also Tezuka copied it from Hamlet ... And they didnt REALLY copy it, did they :confused: They just remade it a bit :D:p What about this other Simba; the king lion (http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a109/KiaraZ/Lea%20Stoof/VHS.jpg)thing? XD That totally sucks, i dunno why they came up with that serie with all those mixed up Disney charries ...

Dare
February 20th, 2007, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by kiara
we're not allowed to bring up old topics, AND we're not allowed to start new threads either, then how the heck are we supposed to be able talk about things like this? Just something that struck me, cuz its bugging me to always hear im always writing wrong or are not allowed to talk in old threads anyway ...

From what I understand, at least for regular discussion topics (as opposed to welcome threads and the like), you can resurrect a thread so long as you have a good reason - this usually entails contributing something substantial or significant to the thread topic.

Ronno Fanatic
March 1st, 2007, 10:40 PM
Hmm, I've never read "No dragging up older topics" in the rules list...:bleen: Though I'm new here....

Sadiki
March 1st, 2007, 10:44 PM
yeah, as long as you have something to add on the topic feel free to post on any topic you want. because if you make a new thread it just adds trouble for moderators to find the old thread and to merge the old and the new one.

Pumping up the old thread for no reason is against the rules thought and is not tolerated in long run.

TX-101
March 2nd, 2007, 12:31 PM
Oh, How i HATE this...

Amaryllis
March 6th, 2007, 06:45 PM
I may be getting this thread active, but it's not useless.

I, own an old VSH of Kimba The White Lion, in dutch ofcourse. I like it alot, but it's quite obvious that Disney copied it. Ore at least, I just can't imagine otherwise. There are t?? many facts that are thesame. But to say that Disney copied it, is rather harsh to say. I think Disney got inspired by this movie, and based TLK upon it.

Shadow
March 6th, 2007, 07:57 PM
i akshely dont think Disney "copied" it they might get inspiration from it but i wouldent say copy" hell look at the result chance"

and am not sure they even did becuse Kimba (Simba) sounds WAY to obvies for a copy to akshely do so and not be an tottal idot...so i think thev might got a thing or to from it like they got from Hamlet but god no they didnt copy it " acording to me" and i know the whole Kimba thing the similrties but why dont we say they ripped of hamlet then?

so acording to me they got inspired by hamlet " Kimba to perhaps?" knew abut Kimba and replaced the K with and S and thought of a great name"

now that is not ripp off...but inspiration...

i mean seriesly...there are like 10000 9/11 books out there but they all are "diffrent" and you dont compare those books and say" that one ripped that one off" Disny and the kimba creators got the same idea of Hamlet" I belive"

TX-101
March 6th, 2007, 09:10 PM
I agree.

White Wagtail
March 7th, 2007, 10:31 AM
At the moment I don't have enough time to write (in proper English) my whole opinion on this issue (and read all posts in this thread), but I want to say one or two things:

I always think it's strange that, when people discuss this topic, they rarely talk about an important film: Bambi.

Obviously, The Lion King was inspired by Bambi.
(TLK was called as "Bambi meets Hamlet and Elton John in Africa" or something like that!)

And Jungle Emperor (or Kimba the White Lion) was also inspired by Bambi.

Though I'm not so familiar with Tezuka's works, it is known that he loved Disney animation, and I heard he saw Bambi 80 times in theater. (I don't know whether it's true or just an exaggeration)

Though I haven't seen TV series, I've read a version of the original comics Jungle Emperor, and I noticed similarities among Bambi, Kimba, and TLK.

I'm not saying Disney was never inspired by Kimba, but in my opinion, Kimba has very different story from TLK, so it's meaningless to compare these two story... both are great in their own way. And I enjoy finding similarities. It's fun.

By the way... I always think it's funny that Americans changed Leo's name to KIMBA... because in Japanese, "kimba" means "gold tooth"! :lol:

TX-101
March 8th, 2007, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by White Wagtail
I always think it's funny that Americans changed Leo's name to KIMBA... because in Japanese, "kimba" means "gold tooth"! :lol:

and in swahili - corpse! :lol: