PDA

View Full Version : The Phantom of the Opera

Muruwa
January 25th, 2005, 11:48 PM
Has anyone here seen this movie yet? If you haven't, you should, it's very good. This is one of the best movies I have ever seen. If you have seen it, what did you think of it? I just can't get over how good this movie was!

Xinithian
January 26th, 2005, 12:17 AM
I saw bits and pieces of it, but never stuck with it. I haven't stuck with many movies this year (we get them in the academy, but I'm usually playing a video game or online when everybody else is watching it). Maybe I'll see it sometime on my own.

Koana
January 26th, 2005, 12:56 AM
I just saw it, and WOW is it good. The only problem is that the guy who played the Phantom had never sung before...and it kinda shows...:rolleyes:
But other than that, pure awesomeness:cheese:

HasiraKali
January 26th, 2005, 03:11 AM
Hmmmm :hmm: I don't know if I've seen this yet. Hmmmm. XD I LOVE Phantom of the Opera. I squealed when I saw this topic. I've seen the movie a few times. I've seen it on stage too. LOVE LOVE LOVE it. Phantom and TLK are the best things in the world! XD Anyone else seen it on stage? *points to banner and av* Mmmm

jannali
January 26th, 2005, 03:32 AM
i've seen it. i loved the music, enough to buy the soundtrack, but the story line as a whole was extrememly stupid in my opinion

HasiraKali
January 26th, 2005, 03:50 AM
Why's it stupid? Just curious. :p

jannali
January 26th, 2005, 05:25 AM
the girl annoyed me. she had a choice between the phantom and raul and couldnt make up her mind. I mean, this phantom guy is a creep (he's been watching her from behind a one way mirror since she was a kid), a murderor, and she thinks he's her father....and yet she still loves him? And she loves Raul too. Realistically, she should forget about the phantom and just move far away and live with Raul, cuz staying at the theater is putting everyone else's lives at risk.
heh dont get mad though, its only my opinion. dont wanna start a war or anything ^^; the music was phenominal though :D

Shadow
January 26th, 2005, 05:27 AM
i heard songs abut it like Nightwis Phatom of the opra aswell as a very cool remix

Khaki
January 26th, 2005, 06:26 AM
DEAR LORD I WANT TO SEE THAT MOVIE SO BADLY! :gasp:

*ahem* yes... and a little apology for the caps lock. :p

Sharifu
January 26th, 2005, 07:45 AM
I'd like to see it... I don't get to go to the theaters that much...

unregistered user
January 26th, 2005, 12:25 PM
Is a remake of an old french movie, but i haven't seen one of them

HasiraKali
January 26th, 2005, 03:21 PM
Those that want to see it, I really think you should. :D It makes me cry/laugh/happy all at once. Kind of like TLK. :hmm: I love it.

Originally posted by Sankao
Is a remake of an old french movie, but i haven't seen one of them

Actually it's not. It's a movie adaptation of the musical on Broadway, the West End and pretty much everywhere else. There are several old movies with Lon Chaney and Claude Rains but those are a totally different animal. :evilgrin:

Originally posted by jannali
the girl annoyed me. she had a choice between the phantom and raul and couldnt make up her mind. I mean, this phantom guy is a creep (he's been watching her from behind a one way mirror since she was a kid), a murderor, and she thinks he's her father....and yet she still loves him? And she loves Raul too. Realistically, she should forget about the phantom and just move far away and live with Raul, cuz staying at the theater is putting everyone else's lives at risk.
heh dont get mad though, its only my opinion. dont wanna start a war or anything ^^; the music was phenominal though

I won't get mad. That is so totally the opposite of what a lot of phans think. I don't think I've ever seen that view before. I mean we all have issues with Christine (for several reasons really). In the book, the only reason she doesn't choose the Phantom is because he's not handsome. :rolleyes: But yeah. The music is the real star. ;)

Sorry if I sound like a "know it all" or whatever, but *points at av and sig again* I just really love it. :-)

unregistered user
January 26th, 2005, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Koana
I just saw it, and WOW is it good. The only problem is that the guy who played the Phantom had never sung before...and it kinda shows...:rolleyes:
But other than that, pure awesomeness:cheese:

Gerard Butler.:evilgrin::p Though, I'm not sure myself, if he actually did sing.

And yes, I've seen the movie, hehe.:) It wasn't all too bad, and it was pretty good, as well as the broadway play.:cheese: I mean, it was also sort of obvious to why Christine didn't pick the Phantom.:rolleyes: I'm not really a fan, but I'll agree that it was a great movie.:) And...the music was fantastic. I've got it on soundtrack too. =/

klowd
January 26th, 2005, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by shadow
i heard songs abut it like Nightwis Phatom of the opra aswell as a very cool remix

Lol Shadow that is not realted with the movie =/ . Iron Maiden's Phantom of the opera version ir great too =P

jannali
January 26th, 2005, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by HasiraKali

I won't get mad. That is so totally the opposite of what a lot of phans think. I don't think I've ever seen that view before. I mean we all have issues with Christine (for several reasons really). In the book, the only reason she doesn't choose the Phantom is because he's not handsome. :rolleyes: But yeah. The music is the real star. ;)

Sorry if I sound like a "know it all" or whatever, but *points at av and sig again* I just really love it. :-)

lol everyone's different i guess. it makes the world go round :-)

Lion King Stu
January 26th, 2005, 05:52 PM
i ain't seen it and proberly won't see it either to be honest it dosn't seem like my kinda film

HasiraKali
January 26th, 2005, 08:01 PM
lol everyone's different i guess. it makes the world go round :-)

Yes, this is true. :D Think how boring it would be if everyone thought the same thing.

I love the Nightwish cover. There's also a punk rock cover by Me First and The Gimme Gimmes. It's... interesting. :lol:

And I love Gerry. Yes. Not the best Phantom but certainly not the worst... And his acting certainly makes up for his less than perfect voice. :evilgrin:

jannali
January 26th, 2005, 09:50 PM
haha i have the phantom of the opera as my ringtone now :p hehe its awwwesome

King Simba
January 26th, 2005, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Lion King Stu
i ain't seen it and proberly won't see it either to be honest it dosn't seem like my kinda film
Ditto...

Iestyn
January 26th, 2005, 09:56 PM
I saw it just after crimbo, awesome movie :D

HasiraKali
January 27th, 2005, 12:30 AM
haha i have the phantom of the opera as my ringtone now :p hehe its awwwesome

How?! I've been trying for months! :eek:

Muruwa
January 27th, 2005, 12:57 AM
I'm jealous of you people that have the soundtrack. I'll get it for my birthday soon (February 4th). I think that Emmy Rossum (Christine) has an amazing voice, makes me wish I could sing...

TakaTiger
January 27th, 2005, 01:24 AM
meh, diddnt interest me much, but ill c what i can do to go see it oO

Azerane
January 27th, 2005, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by Kenyi
Gerard Butler.:evilgrin::p Though, I'm not sure myself, if he actually did sing.

Gerard Butler did sing and I thought he did an awesome job of it too. The only person that didn't sing was Minnie Driver who played Carlotta, can't remember who did her singing voice. Minnie Driver did sing the end title though 'Learn to be Lonely' So yeah :D :cheese:

Anyway, I thought it was an awesome movie with awesome music. I haven't seen the stage production but I would love to, I would love to see how it was adapted to stage. I saw the movie 3 times... hehe :evilgrin: I saw it once with a friend who wanted to see it, then I was playing the soundtrack at home and my mum ended up wanting to see it, and then I saw it with a friend who wanted to see it again! :D :cheese: obsessed? No.... :D :Cheese:

jannali
January 27th, 2005, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by HasiraKali
How?! I've been trying for months! :eek:

http://www.free-ringtones.eu.com/free_polyphonic_ringtone/1527/Halloween_Time/Phantom_Of_The_Opera/index.htm
there ya go :D

HasiraKali
January 27th, 2005, 01:46 AM
Wow I'm so happy to see other people like it too XD. Margaret Preece sang for Carlotta. She's a former stage Carlotta in London. Oh and she's in it too... the woman in purple during Il Muto. :D Oh and a former stage Raoul is in it too. He was Christine's father. Ramin *sigh*

I'm just full of useless Phantom info XD. Gerry did an awesome job in my opinion. It's not an easy part to perform. He's a great guy too.

Oh thanks Janalli! I'll get that one. :D

Banzai
January 27th, 2005, 02:52 AM
i love phantom!!!!! im goin 2 c it on saturday as a late birthday thing... i cant wait

Sharifu
January 27th, 2005, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by Muruwa
I'm jealous of you people that have the soundtrack. I'll get it for my birthday soon (February 4th)

Hey how do you know that?! :gasp: You know what you get for your birthday?! ;)

OMG Muruwa you are going to be 16!!! I remember when we were little! Ahh! OMG I am going to be 20 soon... *dies*

Cerise
February 5th, 2005, 01:27 AM
Man there should have been a spoiler warning on this...

Kasun
February 5th, 2005, 02:15 AM
We got The Phantom of the Opera music today in Adv. orchestra..

Cerise
February 6th, 2005, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by Kasun
We got The Phantom of the Opera music today in Adv. orchestra..

We get to sing the music from it in choir. Yay. It's neat.

unregistered user
February 6th, 2005, 12:39 AM
Is the movie a musical???
:gasp:

HasiraKali
February 6th, 2005, 03:33 AM
Originally posted by Shadow_05
Is the movie a musical???

Yes. A Mega-musical. Love those 80's terms. :evilgrin:

Muruwa
February 6th, 2005, 03:59 AM
Originally posted by Sharifu
Hey how do you know that?! :gasp: You know what you get for your birthday?! ;)

OMG Muruwa you are going to be 16!!! I remember when we were little! Ahh! OMG I am going to be 20 soon... *dies*
lol, seems so long ago doesn't it? But I only knew that I was getting this because I was talking about how I wanted it and my mom said I would have to wait for my birthday. But now I finally have it! Yay! :D Oh my gosh, Gerard Butler did a really good accent in the movie, I was just listening to him answer some questions and he has a really strong Scottish accent.

HasiraKali
February 6th, 2005, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by Muruwa
lol, seems so long ago doesn't it? But I only knew that I was getting this because I was talking about how I wanted it and my mom said I would have to wait for my birthday. But now I finally have it! Yay! :D Oh my gosh, Gerard Butler did a really good accent in the movie, I was just listening to him answer some questions and he has a really strong Scottish accent.

:D I love new phans. Gerry did an amazing job considering everything. Our dear Phantom isn't the easiest character to get into. Have you seen Dracula 2000? Gerry's very good at hiding that thick accent in that too. ;) But I could listen to him speak all day. :lol:

HasiraKali
February 6th, 2005, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by SimbaTheLion
I got a link to a site with some of the music on from a friend, but I've not actually seen it :( ...

There are some clips on the official site. :DPhantom of the Opera Official Site (http://www.phantomthemovie.com)

HasiraKali
February 11th, 2005, 02:55 AM
As the Resident Phantom Phreak I will not let this thread die. :D Mwhehehhehehee! *swings on a chandelier*

unregistered user
February 11th, 2005, 06:38 AM
I saw the Phantom of the Opera last night. I liked it a lot, moreso towards the end. "Learn To Be Lonely" is now one of my favorite songs ;)

HasiraKali
February 11th, 2005, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Ravoc
I saw the Phantom of the Opera last night. I liked it a lot, moreso towards the end. "Learn To Be Lonely" is now one of my favorite songs ;)

Awesome! :D It's great to see that people here like it. LJ's been flooded with comms and tons of movie icons since it came out. I'm glad it's fairly popular with the younger generation.

Khaki
February 13th, 2005, 12:33 AM
Ohmygoodnessijustwentandsawthemovieanditssogoodand iwishihadseenitsoonersothaticouldhavepostedwhenthi sthreadwasnewand*gasp*ohmygoodnessineedthesoundtra ck!!!!!!

HasiraKali
February 13th, 2005, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Khaki
Ohmygoodnessijustwentandsawthemovieanditssogoodand iwishihadseenitsoonersothaticouldhavepostedwhenthi sthreadwasnewand*gasp*ohmygoodnessineedthesoundtra ck!!!!!!

You like it I suppose. :lol: :D

Sharifu
February 13th, 2005, 09:30 AM
Grr, everyone has been saying such good things about this movie, I would like to see it sometime... I don't know who would want to see it with me though, I don't usually like going to the movies by myself. XD

lion_roog
February 13th, 2005, 09:54 AM
Grr, everyone has been saying such good things about this movie, I would like to see it sometime... I don't know who would want to see it with me though, I don't usually like going to the movies by myself. XD

I'll go with ya.:cheese:

I go to the movies by myself every so often....good thing I can walk to the cheap theatre.....:D

I want to check out the Phantom of the Opera's sound track...but right now I'm trying to save to get the Ray! Soundtrack..:cheese:

Muruwa
February 13th, 2005, 10:03 PM
I'll go see it with you, I'm always up to seeing it again :D

Sharifu
February 13th, 2005, 11:22 PM
Really?! Cool! You're such an awesome friend. :p How many times have you seen it already? Just once? That was funny when we went to see the Incredibles, and that was your third time seeing it. :p

Originally posted by lion_roog
I'll go with ya.:cheese:

:lol: Thanks Jeff, but you live kind of far away. ;) And by the time you move out to California, I don't think it will be playing in the theaters anymore.

lion_roog
February 14th, 2005, 04:10 AM

:lol: Thanks Jeff, but you live kind of far away. ;) And by the time you move out to California, I don't think it will be playing in the theaters anymore.

Damn!....Another great plan ruined by stoopid reality....:D ....Maybe it'll still be playing in the cheap theatres?.:cheese:

Muruwa
February 14th, 2005, 04:23 AM
Really?! Cool! You're such an awesome friend. :p How many times have you seen it already? Just once? That was funny when we went to see the Incredibles, and that was your third time seeing it. :p
:lol: I remember that. Don't worry, I've only seen the Phantom of the Opera twice already :cheese: Wow, are you getting the sense of deja vu?

Sharifu
February 14th, 2005, 05:20 AM
:lol: Well if you don't mind seeing it again... ;)

How many times have you seen a certain movie in the theaters? :haha:

Muruwa
February 14th, 2005, 05:27 AM
Three times so far, but Phantom may break the record (I have another friend I told I would see it again with).

lion_roog
February 14th, 2005, 05:28 AM

How many times have you seen a certain movie in the theaters? :haha:

I saw Jurassic Park 7 times....:D

Sharifu
February 14th, 2005, 06:23 AM
Wow! Dang! Well Jeff that is a great movie to see many times in the theaters. ;)

The most times I've seen a movie in the theaters is twice. And I've done that with a lot of movies. I did see TLK twice, but now that I think about it, I also saw it once in the IMAX theater in 2003. So does that count as seeing in the theater three times? Different kinds of theaters, and a 9 year gap between them. :lol:

lion_roog
February 14th, 2005, 07:29 AM
:haha:...I know...good thing I didn't have to pay most of the time......:D

IMAX is a theatre just like any other theatre....don't discriminate, congratulate....:D

HasiraKali
February 15th, 2005, 02:50 AM
Oh this makes me so happy XD *squees*

Sharifu
February 23rd, 2005, 06:20 AM
I did see The Phantom of the Opera last Thursday with my good friend Muruwa... ;)

I did think it was a good movie. Christine is beautiful and so is her voice. Roaul is cute... He reminded me of STM. :lol: It's because of the long hair.

Don't read ahead if you haven't seen the movie. ;)

Well I just think that the Phantom shouldn't of excepted Christine to fall in love with him. You can't except anyone to fall in love with you. Yeah sure I felt sorry for him when he was a kid... But he killed people and I would rather be with Roaul too if I was Christine.

I liked the soundtrack too... The Phantom of the Opera is my favorite song from that movie. ;) I really like the Junior Vasquez's "Phantom of the Opera" remixes that are on this site: http://www.phantomoftheoperasoundtrack.com/

Too bad they are so short though! I love listening to them but they are just samples. XD

Did anyone see Lefika's (an artist at TLKFAA) anthro Phantom pics? Hehe... :p

lion_roog
February 23rd, 2005, 10:38 AM

Don't read ahead if you haven't seen the movie. ;)

:haha:...You know, I couldn't resist reading ahead.......:D

HasiraKali
February 23rd, 2005, 10:34 PM
I really like the Junior Vasquez's "Phantom of the Opera" remixes that are on this site: http://www.phantomoftheoperasoundtrack.com/

Too bad they are so short though! I love listening to them but they are just samples. XD

Did anyone see Lefika's (an artist at TLKFAA) anthro Phantom pics? Hehe... :p [/B]

I'm working on getting full versions of those. I'll let you know if I get ahold of them. ;)

Sharifu
February 23rd, 2005, 10:36 PM
Oh sweet! I would love that! :cheese:

Lion King Stu
February 23rd, 2005, 10:54 PM
i havn't seen a film at a cinema more than once to be honest so I can't really say but i seen Resident Evil bout 8 times and i just saw Resident Evil 2

unregistered user
April 8th, 2005, 04:08 AM
Muahaha I was going to make a new topic for this.... but I decided that this will work: I made a new banner just for Phantom of the Opera fans ^^

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/Xenti/Banners/Phantom.gif

Anyone who wants to use it can go ahead ^^

Muruwa
April 8th, 2005, 04:14 AM
*drools* Must... have... for... desktop. That's awesome Ravoc! Thanks for sharing. :D

unregistered user
April 8th, 2005, 04:15 AM
Sure thing Muruwa, glad you like it :cheese: ^^

nafklt
December 5th, 2005, 12:24 AM
Buwaha! :evilgrin: Sorry for reincarnating this old thread but I just saw the movie at my aunt's house yesterday and 'twas terrific! One of the best non-TLK films I've ever seen!;) Now I want to see the Musical (which is coming here to Queen Liz II's Theatre in August 2006! w00t!:D) The best part I liked about the movie was that Don Juan scene when they sang Point of No Return. That's an awesome number. :P

Azerane
December 5th, 2005, 12:29 AM
Yes, yes I LOVE that song, it's one of the best! =D

HasiraKali
December 5th, 2005, 02:32 AM
OOOOOhhh :lol: I was excited to see this thread again. I'm glad you enjoyed the film naflkt. :) Point of No Return is soooooo different onstage. Just a warning. ;)

nafklt
December 5th, 2005, 02:34 AM
"Beware of falling chandeliers"

:lol:

HasiraKali
December 5th, 2005, 04:18 PM
What can I say. :lol: I became a Phantom Phan a few months after I became a TLK fan.

Eva Janus
December 5th, 2005, 04:32 PM
I love the Phantom of the Opera! Just ask Kiva; he gets irritated at me for it too, lol. It's a good story and I love the movie! the music is just amazing and brilliant! I sing the songs all the time and sometimes even play the Angel of Music song on piano.

HasiraKali
December 5th, 2005, 08:11 PM
Cool! Have you seen the stage show? I like to think of the film and the stage show as two seperate things just because they really are so different. :)

Eva Janus
December 5th, 2005, 09:55 PM
Sadly, no. :(

HasiraKali
December 5th, 2005, 10:07 PM
Awww :( Well one day. :)

Muruwa
December 6th, 2005, 01:28 AM
I'm jealous of all the people who have seen it on the stage. Wow, I didn't expect that this thread would ever get revived, makes me happy though. I've made some desktop/collage things from the movie since I made this thread. You can use 'em ask desktops if you want, but you may need to adjust the size (I'm really bad at that sort of thing and my picture editing thing is broken on my computer).
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y1/KaoruFan/PhantomRaoulFightcopy.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y1/KaoruFan/ThePhantom.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y1/KaoruFan/Raoul.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y1/KaoruFan/ChristineDaae.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y1/KaoruFan/AnywhereYouGo.jpg
Hope you enjoy.

HasiraKali
December 6th, 2005, 03:05 AM
Those are awesome! :D

Sharifu
December 6th, 2005, 11:28 PM
I wanna see the show on the stage... :D

Maybe someday when I go to New York... I'd like to go there someday.

HasiraKali
December 6th, 2005, 11:57 PM
I'd wait until the next cast change personally. The Phantom right now is good but he's nothing compared to the one that just left. And that just won't do for a first time. ;)

Only-now
December 7th, 2005, 04:06 AM
Hey Eva! I don't get really irritated at you..but I called like so many times and its like: "Yes-ter-day I watches PotO for the 8,000th time" lol..im just kidding though..saw it in the movie store and thought of you..maybe you shall show it to me in 9 days! :p

HasiraKali
January 10th, 2006, 03:44 AM
I didn't want to start a whole new topic for this so I dug this one up. :lol:

Tonight, Phantom became the longest running show in Broadway history, surpasing the record previously held by Cats. The chandelier fell for the 7,486th time tonight. :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v109/ladynala94/1Anniversarybanner.jpg

Azerane
January 10th, 2006, 10:18 AM
*whistles* Wow... that's impressive! Congrats to the Phantom!!! Oh and Andrew Lloyd Webber of course :p

Muruwa
January 12th, 2006, 10:41 PM
Wow, Andrew Lloyd Weber has an amazing talent for writing musicals. My boyfriend got me a cd of his greatest hits for Christmas and I wanna see all his different shows now. I'm thinking of watching the Phantom of the Opera using a projector and surround sound for my birthday party this year, though I'm not sure anything can top the masquerade party I had last year...

HasiraKali
January 12th, 2006, 11:14 PM
What ALW shows have you seen apart from Phantom? :D