PDA

View Full Version : TLK 25th Anniversary Collab

KanuTGL
January 16th, 2019, 10:48 PM
Hey, so, it's been five years... :cool:

We've done forum art collabs for the 15th and 20th anniversaries of the film, so this year we will have to make one for the 25th, right!? The setup would be just the same as before - we sign up for characters from the main cast to draw (most likely everyone will get to draw more than one character, just like last time) and then the drawings are put together on a background. I'm out here in plenty of time, but I got excited so here goes ;)

I'll happily host and draw the background again (unless someone else really wants to, in which case just let me know)! Save your finished drawing as a high resolution PNG with a transparent background and send it to me/the host. Do not shade your character!

(Preliminary) Deadline: ?

Character list:
Simba: KanuTGL (completed)
Nala: Leorgathar (completed)
Mufasa: KanuTGL (completed)
Sarabi: Sharifu (completed)
Scar: Kossu (completed)
Zazu: Vidan (completed)
Timon: Leorgathar (completed)
Pumbaa: Sharifu (completed)
Rafiki: Sharifu (completed)
Shenzi: Kossu (completed)
Banzai: Kossu (completed)
Ed: Azerane Leorgathar (completed)
Sarafina: Kossu (completed)

Previous collabs:
2009: https://www.deviantart.com/kingsimba/art/15th-Anniversary-Collab-129368268
2014: https://www.deviantart.com/kanutgl/art/The-Lion-King-20th-Anniversary-Collab-475387731

:zazurockon:

Kossu
January 17th, 2019, 05:48 AM
Ooooh, awesome!:D

I would like to have Scar please! And I'm up for helping with the background or more characters if necessary.:)

Leorgathar
January 17th, 2019, 07:14 AM
I'm in, yes! :cheese:
I'll take Nala this time, and maybe later I'll help with other characters, like last time with Rafiki.
Or a hyena... I've never done a hyena come to think of it :hmm:

KanuTGL
January 18th, 2019, 06:12 PM
Awesome! :D Signed you both up!

Vidan
February 21st, 2019, 07:38 AM
I'll do Zazu! I'm willing to do a hyena too if there's a need. (Actually, I love hyenas, but I always seem to use the Zazu smileys here, so it seems appropriate xD)

If there's a desire to create a new theme too, I could probably make a copy of the 20th anniversary theme or assist someone in creating a new one.

Tove
February 21st, 2019, 04:04 PM
I’ll take Mufasa!

KanuTGL
February 21st, 2019, 11:07 PM
Great, Vidan! And Tove! Added you to the list :D

Sharifu
April 23rd, 2019, 08:18 PM
I wanted to join this, but I haven't because the due date is in June. I know June is far away, but I am very busy working on my personal animated film for my Animation Production classes I have been taking, and the current class I am taking wont be over until the last week of June. I wanted to ask, and I understand if people don't want to change the date, but can I ask if we change the deadline to more of the middle of July or so? The 20th collab had a deadline in August. That worked better for me back then too since I had time to work on it during summer break. I know the original anniversary date of TLK is in June, but currently all of my free time I have to draw, pretty much goes to my short film for this class. (And I am planning to submit my film to festivals and use it in my portfolio to try to get a job). But if the deadline date is changed to the middle of July, I could commit to drawing a character for this. I don't know if everyone is ok with this, and I understand if someone doesn't like this idea. But I just thought I'd throw the idea out there to see what everyone else thinks. If we can change the date to sometime in July, I would like to take Sarabi.

KanuTGL
April 26th, 2019, 03:31 PM
Sure, that's not a problem on my part anyway! How about 31st of July then? Would that give you enough time? :) Summer of 2019 is the main goal for me, so June or July doesn't matter that much :D

(Also, will we get to see your film? =D I'm really curious, hehe!)

Sharifu
May 5th, 2019, 06:11 AM
July 31st would be perfect! I really appreciate that.

And yes, I can show you guys my film when I finish all the animation. :) It's probably not going to completely animated until summer is over though. But I'll let you guys know.

So... Can I go ahead and claim Sarabi? :sarabiwink:

Kossu
June 14th, 2019, 09:09 AM
So sorry for not replying here earlier! The 31st of July is just fine for me as well. I finally have more time on my hands to draw stuff, so I'll start with Scar soon. And as I already said, I'd gladly draw more characters if noone else claims the rest of the spots...Should we maybe post this on the Facebook group as well? It seems like more people are active there...which makes me a little sad, but perhaps this will spark some more interest to revisit the forum? I wonder.:thinks:

Also, Sharifu, I'd really really love to see your animation film as well when it's done!:D

KanuTGL
June 19th, 2019, 10:31 PM
Yeah, I'll have more time for personal art in the coming weeks too, so it was a good thing for me too that the deadline was moved, haha xD

And yes, I've been thinking about reminding the FB group about this as well - will do so soon!

Leorgathar
June 21st, 2019, 09:59 PM
Hi there! Just letting you know I'm still alive and up for this! :D The July 31st deadline works very well for me too, as I'll also be busy this month with pending art and life stuff.
I might also take on another character as well, we'll see :)

Sharifu
July 14th, 2019, 06:17 AM
I finished Sarabi! :sarabibiggrin:

Kanu, I'll send a transparent PNG to you later. Should I email it to you?

Kossu
July 16th, 2019, 11:24 AM
Edit 2: Here's a link to my DA stash, I hope it works this time: https://sta.sh/014p88nk0kkd

Edit: I don't underatand why, but the png file I uploaded turned into a JPEG. I had also shared a link with the PNG file from my DA stash, but that somehow disappeared it seems. Really don't get why, I will try to figure it out later.

Sharifu, Sarabi looks lovely!:)

I finished my drawing of Scar as well, here he is:

https://api-da.wixmp.com/_api/download/file?downloadToken=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI 1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNh NWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMT g4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsImV4cCI6MTU2 MzI3NjkyOSwiaWF0IjoxNTYzMjc2MzE5LCJqdGkiOiI1ZDJkYj QyOTZmNmE2Iiwib2JqIjpudWxsLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZp Y2U6ZmlsZS5kb3dubG9hZCJdLCJwYXlsb2FkIjp7InBhdGgiOi JcL2ZcLzNmMGQ1NmE4LWFiOGMtNGFlZC05OGE4LWY4ZmRiNjFj N2VjNFwvZGRicmQyaS1iMDk1ZmYxZi0zZDRlLTQ0ZDAtOGQyNC 1kNDIyMjk3MjI4NTgucG5nIn19.Ro6QuqE6YHJT3hRW1lhwH76 8PfUfzuZXTv003SedlrY

KanuTGL
July 16th, 2019, 12:36 PM
Alright!! They both look fantastic - great job! <3

Yes, either e-mail me the file or send me a dA stash-link :) Do you still have my e-mail address, Audra?

(Hooray the forum let me reply!)

Vidan
July 17th, 2019, 04:40 AM
:zazurockon: Here's Zazu:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DvVQpcFBGgXrjbyNWVtind1gswfQExsC/view?usp=sharing

KanuTGL
July 17th, 2019, 11:18 PM
Awesome! He looks great, Vidan! <3

Sharifu
July 18th, 2019, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the comments ladies!

Scar and Zazu look great! Getting excited about this collab! :D

Kossu, Lea also turned my attachment into a JPEG. As long as we make sure that Kanu receives the transparent PNG, that should be fine.

Kanu, if your email address is the same as the one you used for the last collab, then yes, I have your email address.

Can we start taking a second character? It seems like we're going to need to do that, since we have only half the characters taken, and it's been a while since anyone volunteered to draw a character. I would like to try a character I have never drawn before, Pumbaa. :pumbaasmile:

Leorgathar
July 18th, 2019, 09:00 PM
Nice drawings you all :D
I haven't started mine yet, but I'll do so right away. I hope to finish it by this weekend, and then maaaybe I'll give Timon a shot ^^

KanuTGL
July 19th, 2019, 08:08 PM
Yes to all of that Audra! :D My address is the same and you are most welcome to pick another character!

I'm hoping to have my own part done soon-ish, I've been caught up in new-job exhaustion and work on the book I'm colouring, but both of those should settle soon!

Kossu
July 22nd, 2019, 12:45 PM
If that's ok, like I said before, I'd also love to draw another character as well. Like Shenzi or Banzai (or both), since I've seldom drawn the hyenas.:smile3:

KanuTGL
July 25th, 2019, 10:24 PM
Of course! :D Do you want both or just the one? :)

Leorgathar
July 26th, 2019, 10:14 PM
Alright! Nala is done! :D

Feel free to flip her in case she fits better looking to the left ^^
I'll give Timon a shot with the little time we have left. He shouldn't be too hard... right? :timonverynice:

KanuTGL
July 26th, 2019, 10:20 PM
She looks fantastic, Leor! <3

Has anyone heard from Tove or knows how to get in touch with her, by the way? I noticed she hasn't been on the forum since February and I don't have any other contact details for her :zazuconfused: I was just thinking that if she's dropped out we might need a backup for Mufasa.

Also if you haven't already, don't forget to send me the high resolution PNGs! :kionsmile:

Vidan
July 28th, 2019, 12:02 AM
I talked to Tove yesterday and confirmed she's still in.

I wonder if we should extend the deadline a bit longer.

I'm happy to take another character. Might not be able to finish until next weekend, though.

KanuTGL
July 28th, 2019, 05:53 PM
Ahh, that's great, Vidan! Cheers ^^

And yes, I kind of need an extension myself, so I've been thinking of pushing the deadline a bit further forward. Would two weeks be enough?

Kossu
July 29th, 2019, 08:27 AM
Leor, Nala looks great!=D

Do you want both or just the one? :)

I'd love to draw both, if no one else wants them! And, yeah the extension seems necessary...Two weeks extra sounds just fine to me.:)

(Kanu, I hope you could access the second stash link with the HQ PNG of Scar. If it doesn't work, let me know!)

KanuTGL
July 29th, 2019, 10:03 AM
Sure, I've signed you up for them! :)

I signed myself up for Sarafina as well!

KanuTGL
August 12th, 2019, 04:42 PM
How is everyone doing? Should I extend the deadline a little more? :)

Leorgathar
August 12th, 2019, 06:16 PM
I'm struggling a bit with Timon :lol: and with my drawing time xP but I'll have it done as soon as I can :3

Kossu
August 13th, 2019, 08:02 AM
Shenzi and Banzai are done!:ayecapn:

https://sta.sh/06m5sdbg4rl and https://sta.sh/01vtwf61hhkr

I'm still open for helping with more characters or a background. Until we hear from everyone, I'll be on standby.:)

KanuTGL
August 13th, 2019, 10:52 AM
They look fantastic Kossu! =D Cheers!

I'll ask on FB one last time if there's anyone who hasn't joined yet who wants to take part, otherwise Rafiki and Ed are also up for grabs for everyone here ;) And I'll push the deadline one more week too.

Leorgathar
August 17th, 2019, 05:23 PM
I just finished Timon! :timonbiggrin:

I posed his hand so he could be leaning on Pumbaa, or a tree or... something :p whatever works best.

Sharifu
August 18th, 2019, 07:34 PM
Great drawings you guys! I was just on vacation for a week, going to Disneyland and Universal Studios. So I didn't have time to draw Pumbaa. I'm going to be driving to Oregon tomorrow too. I'l try to make the deadline to draw Pumbaa, but I might end up being a little late. This has been a busy month for me, with my nephew visiting for a month.

KanuTGL
August 19th, 2019, 09:01 PM
Timon looks great, Leor!

And no worries, Audra. I'll probably push the deadline until the end of August anyway, since we still have no Ed or Rafiki :p It would have been nice to finish the collab in the summer, closer to the anniversary, but it being done in the fall isn't exactly a problem either :)

KanuTGL
August 19th, 2019, 10:59 PM
Finished Simba:

He took so much longer to draw than I thought, but he is finally done! I think xD

Vidan
August 25th, 2019, 10:45 AM
I spoke to Tove today and she won't be able to participate unfortunately, so Mufasa is up for grabs.

Also, that's a very good Simba, Kanu! Great work.

KanuTGL
August 27th, 2019, 12:37 AM
Alright, thanks for letting me know, Vidan :)

Sharifu
August 28th, 2019, 01:57 AM
Here's Pumbaa! :munch: I'm not too happy with the line work. The original drawing was kind of small, so I felt for that reason that made the lines look even thicker then my last drawing of Sarabi. I ink my drawings on paper, and then I scan it into the computer to color. But I will try inking my drawings on the computer next time with my tablet. I kind of wanted to do that for this drawing, but since I am currently visiting my mom in Oregon, I didn't want to pull out my big tablet at the time, and I don't have my desk here or my computer chair. But since I know this drawing will be shrunk down for the collab, I figure people wont really notice the line work when he's in the finished picture.

I'm considering drawing Rafiki for this collab, but I've never drawn him before and I'm a little scared. :lol: He's looks difficult to draw. But I'll think about it. ;)

cleargreenwater
September 1st, 2019, 02:32 AM
I wish I could pitch in with this, but I've developed psoriatic arthritis the last few years and drawing for to long triggers miserable neck and elbow tendonitis. It bums me out, ten years ago I would've been all over a collab. :(

It's looking great guys, it really is. Timon & Pumbaa aren't easy, Timon always turned out looking like Homer a Simpson every time I drew him!

Leorgathar
December 15th, 2019, 02:41 AM
Okaaay, not sure if we'll ever get back the more recent posts since Lea crashed a few days ago. But here's Ed, all done :ayecapn:

Sharifu
December 16th, 2019, 10:09 PM
Yeah, that is too bad what happened with the posts from the last couple months. But it's not the worst thing that can happen. Ed looks great Leor! I love his dancing pose! I remember seeing Kanu's Mufasa, and Kossu's Sarafina. Both looked amazing!

Ok, I finally finished Rafiki! I am quite proud of how this drawing turned out. It was a bit of a daunting idea to draw Rafiki, having never drawn him before and him having human characteristics like hands that are difficult to draw. I had to redraw him a couple times, first time I drew his head a bit too big. But I'm glad I challenged myself and gave him a shot. I am pretty happy with the results.

I also attached a revised version of Pumbaa if people want to see what I changed, even though it is just a small change. I made his left tusk a little thicker, it was kind of bugging me before how thin that tusk looked.

Kanu, I am going to email you all three of my characters.

Yay, we are done with all the characters! :D

KanuTGL
December 17th, 2019, 01:32 AM
Hooray! Well done, everyone! :lalala:

I am now going to lock in the layout and get going properly on the background :D I'm hoping to have it done before the 31st, so that this still is the 25th anniversary collab :lol:

Kossu
December 18th, 2019, 09:44 PM
Wow you guys, Ed and Rafiki look amazing! Both poses feel so natural, really fantastic drawings!:cheese: And hurray, we have all the characters at last!:lalala: Really looking forward to seeing the completed result, with everyone's drawings together!=D

Edit: Here's the link of my drawing of Sarafina again, since my previous post got lost: https://sta.sh/0ohhfefka2n

Sharifu
January 24th, 2020, 10:26 PM
How has progress been going on the background? :D

KanuTGL
January 27th, 2020, 01:32 AM
There's been a bit of progress, but I've made the background difficult for myself so I kinda ended up leaving it for a bit :idiot: But delays are the theme of this collab, so hey :p I've a couple more commissions to work through, but then I'll get back to it.

Sharifu
May 10th, 2020, 02:17 AM
Any more progress been done since January? I can help but be curious. :D

KanuTGL
May 11th, 2020, 12:59 AM
Eehhhm, not really, unfortunately :simbaconfused: It's on my list, but so many things keep coming between :hehe: It will be finished, one day xP Probably for the 26th anniversary at this rate, haha

Kossu
May 17th, 2020, 04:02 PM
No worries Kanu.:) I can't wait to see it once it's done of course, but your own priorities come first. Take care.:hugs:

Sharifu
September 22nd, 2021, 11:29 PM
I'm sorry to ask, but, any progress on this? :cheese:

KanuTGL
September 29th, 2021, 05:35 PM
Erm, nnoot really ^^; It's been a wild year, is the only excuse I have :cringe: The only time I've had for drawing has been for commissions and everything else has been shoved to the back of the queue o.- But I'll get around to it, I swear!