PDA

View Full Version : The Lion King (2019) Trailer

Leorgathar
November 23rd, 2018, 04:20 PM
I'm pretty sure we all saw it already yesterday, but I thought it still deserved a new thread here, so let's talk about it:

https://youtu.be/4CbLXeGSDxg

This Land
November 23rd, 2018, 10:11 PM
Im looking forward to it :)

Its a harmless remake so if its good then we can enjoy it, if it isn't we can forget it.

None of this "what if this happened instead" or "the other side of the story you didnt know about"

In a way Im happy that some life has been blown back into Lion King.

It seems very hopefull for me, but if i dont like it ill proberly go watch it again with my eyes closed just to listen to the soundtrack because i trust Hans Zimmer is going to do an amazing job with it xD.

Kossu
November 25th, 2018, 04:38 PM
I watched the trailer maybe 3-4 times and I honestly didn't feel inclined to watch it more.
It gives me such a sad, bittersweet feeling.

I will watch the remake when it comes out, of course. I'd lie if I said I look forward to it though.
Then again, this is only my biased first impression, since "The lion king" means so much to me.

It seems like they've put a lot of effort into it, the details of the backgrounds and everything looked pretty...and yet....so very bland at the same time.
Lifeless. I don't know how to explain it. It gives the same feeling the remake of "The jungle book" gave me. In their effort to make it look realistic, it seemed like something was missing out.
I'm not a big fan of "The Jungle book" though, so I don't really care, I could simply forget it. This feels different though...

On the bright side, it's nice that this will probably bring new life in the fandom and everything...A new generation will be introduced to our beloved story.
And maybe the remade story will be more intriguing and all. I am curious about that.

I still really, really wish Disney invested more on creating more new original content. New movies, less remakes, less sequels. Back in the time of the golden era it didn't all have to be CGI to be impressive, or memorable.
I miss that.

nathalie
November 25th, 2018, 07:55 PM
This is a teaser. I'm thinking the movie may not even start with this / like this.
Usually teasers don't make it into the movie.

Don't know how much life it will bring into the fandom.
As people will like the animated over this one, and visa versa.
So it's 2 fandoms I guess.

Guntur
November 26th, 2018, 02:15 PM
I'm definitely alright with this, I know this not going to be a blatant knock off. Since we have the current technology I'm completely understand where this is going. A lot of folks say: Better graphic doesn't make things a better story.

As for the graphics and CGI and all that sort? I posted a Unreal Engine 4 thread about how capable the technology are in the current time. that's definitely off topic but as for the whole CGI art styles I believe that can be related.

KanuTGL
November 26th, 2018, 07:00 PM
I basically second Kossu’s entire post.

All in all, I’m not impressed. I’ve struggled to put my finger on what exactly irks me so much about the visuals, and it is just that - they feel lifeless. I don’t believe in any of those characters to be alive and breathing, they’re just... there. Which kinda is counter to the very definition of ”animated” in my opinion.

And since I was so disappointed with the new Beauty & the Beast, where they failed to make a good movie out of basically a shot-for-shot remake, I have little hope for TLK19 to be any better :/ At this rate it really will be Pride (https://youtu.be/JP5IjQEDtYM), just with more CGI xP

Kossu
February 25th, 2019, 07:21 AM
Aaaand we have a new poster and teaser.

http://www.cbr.com/lion-king-new-trailer-poster/

New teaser seems kind of the same to me? The poster is pretty though.:)

nathalie
February 25th, 2019, 11:40 AM
Yeah. There's nothing in this trailer, we haven't seen yet in the teaser?

I absolutely cringe when I see Beyoncé's name "with". Eww eww eww. Like she's the almighty person in this.

And I'm not just like this, because it's "my movie".
They shouldn't touch any movie and remake, or reimagine it.

KanuTGL
February 25th, 2019, 01:51 PM
The poster is kind of alright, but the animation still looks dumb :') I cringed at the rhino. It looks so... cheap? :scaridiots:

Sadiki
April 10th, 2019, 02:56 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TavVZMewpY

New trailer is out, Finally showing all the characters.

nathalie
April 10th, 2019, 03:04 PM
Finally an actual trailer.
And I'm quite curious now to be honest.

Who knows, my whole view about it might change after all.

KanuTGL
April 13th, 2019, 12:00 AM
I still stand by my previous posts. I love the soundtrack, I'll give them that, but the rest... ehhh. The lions in Pride are more expressive than these characters :P

Dare
April 22nd, 2019, 05:28 PM
*perks up ears*

Ok, now they have my attention.
Though, I have to second Kanu's opinion - I'm not seeing much expression. Part of me is hoping that there's more outside of the snippets we're seeing in the trailer... but then again, don't they usually use the best parts for trailers? Eh, we'll see.

Kossu
June 14th, 2019, 07:24 AM
There's some new footage hidden in this video, from a japanese teaser. The scene where Simba pounces on Zazu and another Mufasa-Simba interaction (around 1:30):

https://youtu.be/E3Z9-F-mis8?t=90

KanuTGL
June 25th, 2019, 12:42 PM
I bought my ticket for opening day yesterday. Here we go I guess :zazuduck:

nathalie
June 25th, 2019, 01:33 PM
I did the same today. Mainly for Adam.
I'm just "tagging along" really, and hopefully I'll be much more enthousiastic (finally after since it's been known they were doig this) after actually seening it.

Aphelion
June 28th, 2019, 06:50 PM
I'm really not sure how I feel about this.

On the one hand I'm really not a huge fan of re-makes and this just seems like a lazy way for Disney to cash in on a beloved old film. It doesn't seem as though they've expanded the story in any way and they're not bringing anything new to the film.

On the other hand, it's still the Lion King, and they have managed to get some good voice talent (though I'm not too sure about some of their choices)

I will end up seeing it at some point, probably not at the cinema though, so I reserve my judgement until then.

cleargreenwater
July 1st, 2019, 11:58 AM
I haven't made reservations but will hopefully be able to get in to see it sometime opening weekend or the one after, just to participate here more than anything.

I'm still kind of scared, IDK.

It's almost like...the old one, one of the cool things about it was how much of an epic story could be made out of nothing by just drawing, and the animation kind of enhanced the story telling because it put it in this real-but-not-real zone.

This one it feels like, the more realistic the characters are, the more awkward and silly it all feels, and that's been kind of building in me with every trailer. Paradoxically, it feels way LESS real and sort of a crap ton more lame with the hyper-realistic animals.

IDK, maybe it's just because I engaged with the drawing aspect of it for so long. But.

It's like a reality check on something beloved that I never asked for and never wanted, lol.

Kossu
July 4th, 2019, 01:35 PM
So...another clip.

https://youtu.be/_lrtMCn5Yo0

I find Simba's voice quite bland.And Scar sounds like an angry Pumbaa to me.:\ I'm surprised to say I do like Beyonce as Nala though.

KanuTGL
July 8th, 2019, 05:06 PM
I feel like I'm starting to catch glimpses of promising things in the clips that are being released now :thinks: I agree Nala's voice sounds pretty good, and I've been impressed by Simba's too. In the latest trailer focusing on Scar there is some interesting new dialogue as well, even though I still feel that the animation leaves much to be desired... Like in the trailer above where Scar is supposed to be full on yelling, but his mouth barely moves :blah: And there's no real weight to the characters. I'm still not buying that they're alive *shrugs*

cleargreenwater
July 17th, 2019, 01:01 AM
Well...at least the hyenas will finally really look like hyenas. *rueful*

I think I've reached the "acceptance" stage of grief, lol.

Kossu
July 17th, 2019, 01:27 PM
I think I've reached the "acceptance" stage of grief, lol.

I feel the same way. A bit resigned about this all, really.:zzz:

Got tickets yesterday, will watch it in about 3 hours. Mostly because my friend insisted. Time to get it out of our system I guess.

nathalie
July 17th, 2019, 02:01 PM
No spoilers please ... haha :p

Since UK seems to be the last country (as per usual I've noticed) to get any decent movies in the theaters.

Doesn't open here until Friday. We got evening tickets.
We got cinema cards, and mine was a Christmas present, so all movies this year for me are free, so if this sucks, it ain't all that bad :lol:

Sharifu
July 17th, 2019, 05:53 PM
I'm afraid about how am I going to avoid spoilers. Seems like everyone is seeing this on opening night. I probably would have too (even though I'm not really excited about this movie) but I am going out of town this weekend for almost a week. I'm going to Oregon to visit my family, but it's basically to pick up my nephew and bring him to California to visit me and my dad for a month this summer. I could see the movie in Oregon for the first time with my mom and nephew while I am in Oregon, but I feel like I should wait to see it for the first time with Petteri. :p I know it seems silly, but The Lion King is such an important movie for us. I mean, after all, it's because of The Lion King we met each other. Even our room mate is going to see it opening night. I'm sure everyone is going to be talking about it on Social Media too... Maybe I should just avoid Facebook that first week. :lol: We will be seeing it the second weekend though. I'm going to take our 9 year old nephew with us to see it too. He's the same age I was when I first saw the original The Lion King. =D

Azerane
July 17th, 2019, 11:11 PM
Pat and I saw it yesterday. I won't say anything about it here. Will try to remember to make a new thread later today about it :)

KanuTGL
July 17th, 2019, 11:21 PM
I saw it today. I'll be in the new thread too :lol: