PDA

View Full Version : Why is Zazu blue?

Leorgathar
November 30th, 2017, 05:11 AM
Ok, a little bit of context :p
The Mexican TLKoB Facebook site recently gave out a collection of their plushies to whoever answered a series of questions, like "How many giraffes are there in the IJCWTBK segment?"

Sadly I saw it late and didn't get to participate >.< but Jead did, and one of the questions was "Why is Zazu blue?"
I've never wondered it myself :confused: Is there a real answer to this? Like, has it ever been mentioned somewhere by the designers? Or was it just to mess with our heads?

What would you answer to this? :zazuevil2:

nathalie
November 30th, 2017, 02:03 PM
Since they used it for a competition question, there must be an answer.
But I don't know it.

Didn't they put up the answers after the contest?

Leorgathar
November 30th, 2017, 10:36 PM
Hmm they haven't put the answer yet, but I read in the comments section one who said it may be because Zazu was originally going to be a Common Kingfisher (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_kingfisher), which is blue, then it was changed to a hornbill but kept the color.

I wonder if it's true :hmm:

HasiraKali
December 9th, 2017, 04:08 AM
They mentioned it in the Making Of special. It was the lead animator that was saying something about it. I don't remember exactly what she said, it's been a long time since I've watched it.

nathalie
December 9th, 2017, 11:09 AM
Which making of? haha :/ I got 3 or 4 different ones (VHS, TV, laserdisc, DVD)

cleargreenwater
December 11th, 2017, 01:29 PM
I....I never thought about Zazu being blue :o

I would guess maybe it's something about it being difficult to animate a mostly black character? But IDK, I never once thought about how weird it is that he's blue.

(I'm now picturing a VantaBlack Zazu lol. Simba & Nala thought he was a drag, imagine if he sucked more than just the fun out of a situation and ate light itself. Stealth Zazu!)

Nit
January 5th, 2018, 09:15 PM
(I'm now picturing a VantaBlack Zazu lol. Simba & Nala thought he was a drag, imagine if he sucked more than just the fun out of a situation and ate light itself. Stealth Zazu!)

OMG :lol: Someone should draw a comic of this.

Anyway, colours of bird's feathers aren't always made the same way. Read this:
https://academy.allaboutbirds.org/how-birds-make-colorful-feathers/

Non-Iridescent Feathers

Not all structural colors are iridescent. Tiny air pockets in the barbs of feathers can scatter incoming light, resulting in a specific, non-iridescent color. Blue colors in feathers are almost always produced in this manner. Examples include the blue feathers of bluebirds, Indigo Buntings, Blue Jays and Steller’s Jays.
I wonder if it's true to Zazu, who (in theory) is a red-billed hornbill. The problem is: red-billed hornbills aren't blue. Trumpeter Hornbill can be blue-ish...y but more in an iridescent way, I think. :hmm: Is Zazu a cross-breed? :uhno:
Nah, I'm just overthinking it now. :stop: I guess it was just and only a design choice. A blue bird looks fancier. And while at it... isn't Zazu royal-blue? :haha:

SillydogTheGreat
January 8th, 2018, 03:11 AM
Also anyone notice that Broadway Zazu is a white bird?