PDA

View Full Version : the yellow peanut m&m

nathalie
May 5th, 2016, 02:28 PM
Right ... It cannot just be me ... it DOES taste different then all the other M&M's.

I hate the blue & brown ones.
I pick out the yellow ones to keep them for last "save the best for last".

HasiraKali
May 5th, 2016, 10:46 PM
Um... Ok. :lol: They all taste the same to me, gross. I don't like peanut M&Ms. :p

Vidan
May 5th, 2016, 10:55 PM
Wait, the shells have a particular flavor corresponding to their color? Not sure if I ever noticed.

Guntur
May 6th, 2016, 12:31 AM
I never like Yellow M&M, My favorite choice would be blue, Crispy M&M, I could eat like 3 or 4 packets in one sitting.

Dare
May 6th, 2016, 02:44 AM
I agree - yellow peanut M&Ms totally taste different from the others.
I don't know if they're supposed to taste different, or if it's my mind playing tricks on me. For example, I've always thought that the red M&Ms tasted a little minty for some reason.

I personally miss the old tan M&Ms...they were my favorite.
I'm also old enough to remember when they brought the red M&Ms back during the 1980s - I remember thinking that it was a really big deal, at the time. XD
*candygeek*

HasiraKali
May 6th, 2016, 03:10 AM
They probably aren't supposed to taste different but I'd bet the different colorings used in each could contribute to them having different flavors. I don't eat my M&Ms one at a time (I tend to put a whole handful in my mouth at a time, don't judge me) so I don't notice differences.

nathalie
May 6th, 2016, 04:15 AM
I read the yellow dye may put that "flavour" in there.
But if you do really pay attention when you're eating them, yellow (and also red) taste very different.

Kirauni
May 6th, 2016, 08:09 AM
Wow.. It has been years since I last had some M&Ms. I guess it's time to refresh my memory ;)

Guntur
May 6th, 2016, 08:19 AM
Wait wait what? :timonyikes: How did you know that different colors have a different taste? I'm impressed. :slimey::wicked:

To be honest, for me the only differences that I taste is just different type of variants of the brand, like Crispy to Peanut to Regular. for me, Chocolate is just chocolate. but I do feel impressed that you know the differences.

@ Kirauni: Once you eat it you can't stop eating, careful. ;)

nathalie
May 6th, 2016, 01:03 PM
Guntur, are you really asking that? Be serious ...

Eat them ... taste it. ;)

Leorgathar
May 6th, 2016, 06:33 PM
I love peanut M&Ms, and I too like to single out the yellow ones. But I never attributed it to taste, I thought it was just a weird quirk of mine :\

nathalie
May 6th, 2016, 06:40 PM
You should eat a few yellow ones, and then a brown one ... ewwwww, haha.

This is something going around for ages, and the only answer I've been able to find is, that there is some taste (unintentionally) in the yellow dye.

ThiagoPE
May 7th, 2016, 08:05 PM
That's strange, usually the colors of a eatable/drinkable are produced by a tasteless colourant chemical.
Recently I saw a chemical experiment that consist in putting a little of milk in a colored soda (like fanta or coca cola) and letting it rest for few hours, after that, the soda will be totally colorless because the milk attracts the colourant chemical to the bottom of the bottle, if you drink that soda you will perceive the taste remains the same.

I don't know about the m&m as I never ate them.

Enviado de meu LG-D337 usando Tapatalk

HasiraKali
May 7th, 2016, 10:41 PM
Do you have that video? Everything I'm finding is showing the phosphoric acid reacting with milk proteins and has nothing to do with the chemical coloring. The phosphoric acid is what gives soda its "bite". Chemical colorings are typically non-reactive.

ThiagoPE
May 7th, 2016, 11:18 PM
Amanda, just making clear im not a chemistry teacher, so if i made some "technical mistake" please forgive me.

I was just trying to say that the colourant is flavorless and dont change the flavor of the drink.

The video is here (in portuguese): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmaDeqh_Zco

HasiraKali
May 8th, 2016, 12:11 AM
Youtube had some interesting caption translations for that :lol: Something about "goat tablets"... As for the soda tasting the same, he actually got a lot of the precipitate in the sample he drank, so it makes sense that it would still be the same. It would be more effective if he used a straw to sample the clear liquid on the top. I'm kind of tempted to try this. I could use Dad's cola. :p

ThiagoPE
May 8th, 2016, 12:33 AM
Youtube had some interesting caption translations for that :lol: Something about "goat tablets"... As for the soda tasting the same, he actually got a lot of the precipitate in the sample he drank, so it makes sense that it would still be the same. It would be more effective if he used a straw to sample the clear liquid on the top. I'm kind of tempted to try this. I could use Dad's cola. :p

Goat tablets? hehehehe. Strange that for me there is no caption option, they probably translated to english from those auto generated captions youtube do by voice recognition, and how he uses a lot of slangs the result should be terrible....

Indeed he could have separated the transparent part and drink only it, even because the milk was there resting for 2 days! so its like the milk had rotted in that amount of time.

In the end, he shows 5 bottles of 5 diferente sodas, and the same happens with all of them.

If you try, donīt forget to post here photo of the result ;)

HasiraKali
May 8th, 2016, 08:48 PM
I forgot to take a picture, but it looked just like the pictures in the video. I left it overnight and tried it this morning. I used a needleless syringe to remove some of just the clear liquid. It just tasted like sugar water, not coke, which is what i was expecting. In the case of colas, a lot of the flavor actually does come from the caramel which gives it the brown color. We don't have any other colored sodas right now, but I will try it again with some Big Red and maybe some Dr. Pepper.

nathalie
May 25th, 2016, 06:24 PM
I have noticed this only counts for the M&M's in the bags.
Not for the yellow ones, that you can choose from in the m&m stores ... odd.

Dare
May 28th, 2016, 12:57 AM
*perks up ears*

Do they?!
I'm gonna have to do some research on this now...for Science!

XoX
August 11th, 2016, 01:45 PM
It's been so long since I've had M&Ms...
Although I do like to separate my foods based on colour :p
(Oh lord that sounds so bad... >p<)

But, do any of you freeze your chocolate? I'd imagine freezing M&Ms isn't that hard.
I've been freezing my chocolate and Reese's peanut butter cups and I feel it tastes a little better that way.

I should go out and get some M&Ms though, for science! (And breakfast...)

Zomok
August 11th, 2016, 10:41 PM
Peanut M&Ms should never have been made, now the crunch M&Ms they are a gift.

As for colour separation you should never single an item or object out because of its looks.

XoX
August 13th, 2016, 06:06 PM
As stated in this thread (http://www.leahalalela.net/showthread.php?182-It-Made-My-Day-(post-your-happy-here)&p=200065#post200065), I went out and bought a couple 'bags' of M&Ms :p
I had to go back to Walmart, and came across a couple weird variations of M&Ms, and then this thread popped into my head.
So basically, The Lion King made me get M&Ms :p
(Yes, I spent about 10 bucks on a snack I don't really like, just to make a post. See I can be interesting! ;~; )

I'd like to start off by saying that I'm not a professional "taster", my tastes are subjective at best >p<
In fact, I don't even really like chocolate, so there's that.
(Even though I'm from the chocolate-center of Europe. Maybe that's why I'm not a huge fan of chocolate...)

I also obviously didn't get every kind of M&M either. I didn't get the peanut M&M because I've had them before, and didn't really like them >p<
(Also, there's some weird 75-year birthday thing going on. New things scare me! D: )

So with that out of the way, let's go! :D

I got these things:
http://i.imgur.com/vyvYC90.jpg
Not a lot of them, but I haven't had any of these, so I'm pretty excited! ^-^
For those who don't like images: I got the M&M Mini, crispy Core, and peanut butter kinds.

I started off by separating them for easy eating purposes.
As you can see, I didn't get the same amount of coloured M&Ms. And each packet has a different colour ratio too. So maybe it's not as scientific as I'd like.
But oh well, we've got to make do! :p
I made sure to get 5 yellow ones of each kind, though!
http://i.imgur.com/IxLpT0s.jpg

I started with the Mini M&Ms.
They mostly tasted the same. Other than (maybe) red, I'd say they all tasted exactly the same.
Perhaps because they're so small, so there's less colour and coating? Who knows?
They're fun to eat, though. Since they're so small, it feels funny when you put a bunch of them in your mouth. It's like eating a couple of peas. That taste like chocolate and are coated in a colourful and crunchy shell...

On to the next one; the crispy ones! :D
I tried them, and within 0.1 second of chomping down on one, I knew I didn't like them.
The crispy core is... weird, to say the least. I don't really like the flavour and crunch it adds. I'd definitely go with peanut over crispy. (Don't hurt me, it's just my opinion!)
The brown and yellow ones definitely tasted different than the 3 other colours.
But both the yellow and the brown ones tasted different from one another, perhaps because the brown ones were so small, so the crunchy core had an overpowering taste.
I'd imagine the center is the same as a rice krispie, but because don't have the patience to dissect one entirely, I can't confirm this.
I mean, this isn't crucial information, but it's something I just wanted to add.
Also, I like rice krispies :>

Then onto the last ones; the ones I was most excited about; the biggest ones; the peanut butter filled M&Ms! :D
I love peanut butter, and I adore peanut butter cups, so this combination of chocolate and peanut butter should work well. ^-^
The first couple of months after moving to the US, I ate peanut butter cups every day. Usually a couple different kinds, too.
So I'd imagined these would taste like the Reese's minis.

But, sadly, it didn't work out like I hoped.
The peanut butter is barely noticeable, even if you put 3+ in your mouth at once.
They're a little saltier than the rest, but they're nowhere near peanut butter cups.
Sadface :emo:
If you like peanut butter cups, but aren't fond of M&Ms, don't get these. If you like both, disregard this sentence and enjoy your snack!

The yellow ones taste slightly different, but the other colours taste the same.
They're basically just salty M&Ms. The salt probably alters one's perception of taste, too... >p>

So, conclusion: the yellow ones probably taste different, unless you're eating minis.

Also, I didn't empty out the bags, because the small tube of Mini M&Ms was 250 calories, the crispy ones ("Sharing size") was 380 calories, and the bag of peanut butter ones was 1100 calories. That's about 1730 calories in just M&Ms.
I'd gain weight just eating M&Ms :haha:
So, second conclusion: M&Ms are bad for your waistline, regardless of colour.

That's all, I hope you learned something today! :D

Edit: Enjoy this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4dSIKyzb-c

HasiraKali
August 14th, 2016, 12:14 AM
My dad had peanut M&Ms laying here and I just did a little test. Keep in mind I don't really like the peanut ones, so my results are slightly biased. I tried a green one and then a yellow and a yellow and then a green. I cleared my palate with water between each candy. From just that small test I am able to say that the yellow ones aren't nearly as sweet as the green. I don't like them, so I'm not really willing to do other tests. I did try a red one, which also tasted different. It tasted more like milk chocolate to me.

Dare
August 14th, 2016, 12:34 AM
But, do any of you freeze your chocolate? I'd imagine freezing M&Ms isn't that hard.
I've been freezing my chocolate and Reese's peanut butter cups and I feel it tastes a little better that way.

The only time I've frozen chocolate is during the summer, since it gets so hot here. This summer I've had 4 candy bar casualties because I forgot them on the kitchen counter. RIP, Butterfingers.

I've never considered taste testing frozen vs unfrozen chocolate, but I think I might have to now. FOR SCIENCE!!!

XoX
August 14th, 2016, 02:41 AM
My dad had peanut M&Ms laying here and I just did a little test. Keep in mind I don't really like the peanut ones, so my results are slightly biased. I tried a green one and then a yellow and a yellow and then a green. I cleared my palate with water between each candy. From just that small test I am able to say that the yellow ones aren't nearly as sweet as the green. I don't like them, so I'm not really willing to do other tests. I did try a red one, which also tasted different. It tasted more like milk chocolate to me.
Thank you for your sacrifice, fellow scientist! :haha:
I didn't drink water before each M&M, because I'd be full halfway through testing >p<

Either way, those are some interesting finds!

The only time I've frozen chocolate is during the summer, since it gets so hot here. This summer I've had 4 candy bar casualties because I forgot them on the kitchen counter. RIP, Butterfingers.

I've never considered taste testing frozen vs unfrozen chocolate, but I think I might have to now. FOR SCIENCE!!!
I used to never put chocolate in the freezer, until one day I simply ran out of room to put food, so I put it in the freezer. :p
Luckily, no 'chocasualties' here ^-^
(I shall consume some butterfingers to commemorate our lost comrades.)

Good luck with your research, though!
Make sure to post it in a new thread, so we can all join in and eat chocolate for science :haha:

KanuTGL
August 15th, 2016, 08:46 PM
M&M science! Yeeaah! Good studies there, XoX and HK :munch:

I've never been much for M&M:s myself, but I prefer the peanut ones when I can have them. Seems I might be a minority here, haha! But I also reckon they don't all taste the same - I definitely don't like the brown ones much for example. But maybe that's because they're such a boring colour compared to the rest? Maybe someone should try an unbiased test, where you're given an M&M that you don't know the colour of and then see if you can tell the difference? :D I would do it myself but... M&M:s are banned here. Sorta :p At least the logo is! Interesting story that -> http://www.bbc.com/news/business-36484245

HasiraKali
August 15th, 2016, 11:45 PM
I'm sorry, but those two M's look nothing alike... except that they're both m's.

Kirauni
August 16th, 2016, 09:55 AM
Just another example for stupid copyright quarrels... Anyhow: I'm amazed what you all did for... science there. I guess sooner or later I'll have to buy some m&ms myself and see if they also differ in taste XD

KanuTGL
August 16th, 2016, 11:30 AM
Yeah, everyone I've spoken to thinks it's ridiculous :p The image in the article is a little misleading though, I realised, since the logo in question is actually this one:

http://ebid.s3.amazonaws.com/upload_big/5/2/1/1376943914-363-16.jpg

And I can see why they considered that a problem... But still, I'd never even heard of Marabou's "m" before this and I think most people would be able to tell the difference between those and M&M:s. Aside from the m, they look really different :p

XoX
August 16th, 2016, 02:50 PM
I'm sorry, but those two M's look nothing alike... except that they're both m's.
/\/\&/\/\s :haha:

Just another example for stupid copyright quarrels... Anyhow: I'm amazed what you all did for... science there. I guess sooner or later I'll have to buy some m&ms myself and see if they also differ in taste XD
Scientists are selfless and don't mind sacrificing themselves for the greater good :p

And yeah, you totally should!
The more opinions, the better the research! :D
We'll be awaiting your discoveries....

Yeah, everyone I've spoken to thinks it's ridiculous :p The image in the article is a little misleading though, I realised, since the logo in question is actually this one:

http://ebid.s3.amazonaws.com/upload_big/5/2/1/1376943914-363-16.jpg

And I can see why they considered that a problem... But still, I'd never even heard of Marabou's "m" before this and I think most people would be able to tell the difference between those and M&M:s. Aside from the m, they look really different :p

Well, thanks to this "fight", we now all know about Marabou's "m", so it's like some sort of advertising for them :p

Leorgathar
August 16th, 2016, 05:07 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/iwnkdnExj1i92/giphy.gif
You guys blinded me with science :p Impressive work! I might join in and buy some to compare my results.

I've never been much for M&M:s myself, but I prefer the peanut ones when I can have them. Seems I might be a minority here, haha!
Hey, I prefer peanut M&Ms over the normal ones too :D must be due to the fact that I love peanuts so much, but all chocolate is beautiful xD

Well, thanks to this "fight", we now all know about Marabou's "m", so it's like some sort of advertising for them :p
They actually look quite tasty, I'd love to try them sometime :cs_surprise_2:

XoX
August 16th, 2016, 07:19 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/iwnkdnExj1i92/giphy.gif
You guys blinded me with science :p Impressive work! I might join in and buy some to compare my results.

Hey, I prefer peanut M&Ms over the normal ones too :D must be due to the fact that I love peanuts so much, but all chocolate is beautiful xD

They actually look quite tasty, I'd love to try them sometime :cs_surprise_2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQR1r1KTjaE

You totes should join in :p

I might get some peanut M&Ms later today or tomorrow, just to make the research more scientific and all-embracing :haha:
(And look if there's any other kinds I might've missed...)

HasiraKali
August 17th, 2016, 01:59 AM
If it weren't for allergies, this would be a good way to get my kids to design an investigation for this. Might still do it, but without the candy.