PDA

View Full Version : Episode 11 - Paintings and Predictions

Azerane
April 2nd, 2016, 09:03 AM
So first of all, I feel like I need to really address this issue: (click the image link below)

:zazusurprise: So this is an interesting development. Given that Nala's dad actually gets a mention, is quite a big step. However, Pat and I have the problem that the cub looks far too much like Mufasa to be able to rule him out as Nala's father (or maybe we're supposed to think it's Mufasa). Why, Disney, why?!! :woe: Otherwise, comparing to the lions of Scar's Guard, the lion with the green eyes seems to be the closest fit colour-wise. The manes are all a little dark, but Scar's mane is distinctly lighter in the paintings than it actually is. So lots to ponder here.

In regards to the rest of the episode, it was ok. The plot was a bit boring :zzz: Although I had to cheer when the female zebra was super polite and articulate to the guard and appreciative for their help. I thought it was a +1 to the herbivore intelligence. I'm not sure how to feel about the song. The "Stripey, stripey! Ooooh, stripey, stripey" was a bit of a cheap filler in my opinion. :lol: The song itself has a catchy beat, and I'm not sure if I'm just making connections that aren't there, but all of the hyena songs seem to remind me of songs by Danny Elfman in the Corpse Bride. I'm not sure why, there's just a certain sound to them that makes a connection in my mind whenever I hear any of the hyena trio songs. Perhaps it's Janja's voice, I really don't know :p Also, to me Panic and Run is just a slightly slower version of Outta The Way they sound so very similar.

And last of all, Pat thinks the villain confrontations are boring and a let down. Since they're so basic :p I understand what he's saying. All the hyenas do is show up in the pridelands, chase a few herbivores around and then get scared off when Kion and the Guard arrive. Where's the challenge and interest in that? :hmm:

EDIT: Just editing to add, Pat had a theory about Nala's father looking like Mufasa. He thinks it could be an April Fools thing :lol:

Leorgathar
April 2nd, 2016, 10:41 AM
The very FIRST canonical mention of Nala's father!!! :wow:

Wow, that was quite an unexpected surprise, even if we only saw him in a painting, as a cub, and we don't know his name yet. But it was still a big step, I agree!
I don't really mind his looks, I'm sure he was intended to be confused with Kion from the beginning. We gotta live with the knowledge now that Kion got his mane tuft from his mother's side of the family :p

I thought the rest of the episode had some silly moments, but I still found it entertaining. The song wasn't that great, and I agree that it felt like Outta The Way with a different pace, but I still enjoyed the visuals on it. But I gotta agree with Azzy about the hyenas approach getting old and lame. There needs to be a new kind of threat, though I'm positive that there'll be one later at some point, with more seasons coming up, that is.
The zebras... I swear that particular male zebra is dumber every new episode, and somehow I'm finding that amusing instead of bothering me :lol: (I hope it's not just me ><)
I also liked the way Kion saved the zebras from the waterfall using the Roar, it's been a couple of episodes since we last saw it in action, and it was great having it back and being used in a different way than we're used to.

Another sort-of interesting thing we learned in this episode was that Rafiki's staff has magical powers by itself, I mean, we have seen Rafiki using it before to summon winds or make animated GIFs with his paintings, but now Bunga took it and was able to do the same. It reminded me of the magic hat from the Sorcerer's Apprentice, that along with Rafiki making Bunga clean the floor as punishment.:zazuevil2:

Azerane
April 2nd, 2016, 11:52 AM
Another sort-of interesting thing we learned in this episode was that Rafiki's staff has magical powers by itself, I mean, we have seen Rafiki using it before to summon winds or make animated GIFs with his paintings, but now Bunga took it and was able to do the same. It reminded me of the magic hat from the Sorcerer's Apprentice, that along with Rafiki making Bunga clean the floor as punishment.:zazuevil2:

Oooh, you're right, I hadn't thought of that :D Just think of all the options that opens up for mischievous cubs! :jejeje:

Kasei
April 2nd, 2016, 07:01 PM
Hilarious that they might actually be saying that Mufasa is Nala's father also. xD The mention of Nala's dad was the only interesting bit about the episode in my opinion. I just sort of listened to it while doing other things, usually I actually watch.

However, I personally think the guard is a different guard, not Scar's guard. Because scar would've been a cub if Nala's father/Mufasa was a cub, so this would have been the adult guard protecting them. So Ahadi's reign. So the parallels drawn between their appearance and the appearance of scar's guard is just coincidence, imo.

And yeah. Lame song was lame. And that zebra is definitely getting dumber, though herbivore stupidity is something I've come to expect in this show. The female zebra articulating thanks actually bothered me a bit because it was very jarringly "hey! Zebras have a level of self-awareness in this show...somehow." Which begs the question of why they are letting that male zebra call the shots. Maybe the herd leaders are dumb because they get in fights all the time and get their brains knocked around too much. xD

Azerane
April 2nd, 2016, 10:15 PM
However, I personally think the guard is a different guard, not Scar's guard. Because scar would've been a cub if Nala's father/Mufasa was a cub, so this would have been the adult guard protecting them. So Ahadi's reign. So the parallels drawn between their appearance and the appearance of scar's guard is just coincidence, imo.

Oh yeah, duh. For some reason I was looking at the guard that saved Mufasa and thinking one of them could be Nala's father, but obviously they would be too old. :p

Pat also pointed out to me that there's actually an episode of Timon and Pumbaa where it's pointed out that Rafiki's stick is magic. This one here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT2c6R4f6Bs So this is apparently information that we already knew. :p Although I never watched Timon and Pumbaa, but I wouldn't call everything that happens in the show true canon lore anyway.

Kasei
April 3rd, 2016, 12:00 AM
Yeaaah I definitely don't consider the Timon and Pumbaa cartoon cannon. xD Too many crazy things happening in that world. To me it's more like an AU spinoff series or something. Maybe I should feel that way about Lion Guard too, but time will tell. x3 Maybe they'll somehow manage to fix this wacky timeline they've created. Still looking forward to the Kovu cameo..!

Azerane
April 3rd, 2016, 01:29 AM
I'm looking forward to have an actual villainous villain :p

Aurelian
April 3rd, 2016, 04:17 PM
Hmm... the cub in the painting being Mufasa don't add up. It's common knowledge that Mufasa is the son of Ahadi and Uru, not a found orphan.

Besides, if it WAS Mufasa, why would Rafiki have refered to him as Nala's father when it would make so much more sense to identify him as SIMBA'S father?

Sarger
April 4th, 2016, 09:42 AM
Honestly the main issue I have with the episode is the need to shove Kion on a tree every 3 minutes.

Kasei
April 4th, 2016, 08:38 PM
Hmm... the cub in the painting being Mufasa don't add up. It's common knowledge that Mufasa is the son of Ahadi and Uru, not a found orphan.

Besides, if it WAS Mufasa, why would Rafiki have refered to him as Nala's father when it would make so much more sense to identify him as SIMBA'S father?

I don't understand where you are getting the idea that Nala's father was an orphan. The episode just says he fell out of a tree and was saved by the guard. How does that indicate that he isn't part of the pride already?

I do agree that it's weird Rafiki said Nala's father. I'm not saying her father was Mufasa, just that the possibility technically can't be ruled out until there is more info. I'm sure they are intending to imply that it is not Mufasa and so they had Rafiki phrase it that way to get Disney out of incest territory. x)

Sarger
April 4th, 2016, 09:10 PM
I don't understand where you are getting the idea that Nala's father was an orphan. The episode just says he fell out of a tree and was saved by the guard. How does that indicate that he isn't part of the pride already?

I do agree that it's weird Rafiki said Nala's father. I'm not saying her father was Mufasa, just that the possibility technically can't be ruled out until there is more info. I'm sure they are intending to imply that it is not Mufasa and so they had Rafiki phrase it that way to get Disney out of incest territory. x)

Remember, this is Disney Junior we're talking about. Angry parents are just a few clicks and a few presses of the keyboard away from letting their opinions be heard.

nathalie
April 4th, 2016, 09:14 PM
Same thing over 20 years ago when the first movie came out.
It's known in real life, that 1 male lion has many females, therefor many cubs, so Nala being a daughter of Mufasa, I'm surely must have crossed many parents minds.

Sarger
April 4th, 2016, 09:20 PM
Keep in mind we like to censor things a heck of a lot more nowadays than we did back 20 years ago. Disney Junior is still aimed at a much younger audience- didn't they have to change the hyena designs to make them less scary?

Pretty sure these parents don't care how accurate this is- if it mentions incest, bad, take it off the air.

Azerane
April 4th, 2016, 11:05 PM
Maybe it's just me, but Chungu's hyena design is way scarier than the hyena designs of the original LK.