PDA

View Full Version : The Lion Guard pilot episode

s-tlk
November 23rd, 2015, 01:26 AM
Hey,
so who watched it? What do you think?

I must say we saw most of it already in the countless teasers and trailers, but still it was entertaining to see. Beside all the plot holes (we can forget about SP, when we want to take this series seriously) it was too short. This might be related to the targeted audience who cannot watch a 90-minutes movie. I didn't like the magic appearance of the tattoo on the shoulders, although this was expected from all the trailers we saw.
The songs however were pretty good and I'm wondering what of this will be on the OST that is to be released in January.

Falconsfan22
November 23rd, 2015, 02:13 AM
I loved it! It was everything I expected it to be. The songs were great loved the villain song and even enjoyed Kion's song and of course zuka zama. The animation was grear as was the story and the voice acting was also great. Next to Kion my next fave character is goin be Ono he reminds me of dr niles crane from Frasier. Wish it was longer though but for an hour movie it was awesome. Will be watching the series when it comes on. :hakuna: =D:)

nathalie
November 23rd, 2015, 01:32 PM
Ill have to find it online somewhere.
Curious to see it. As I didn't really have such an enthousiastic opinion like some already had.

s-tlk
November 23rd, 2015, 01:49 PM
If you drop me a pm, I'll might be able to help you. ;)

nathalie
November 23rd, 2015, 02:45 PM
I've already helped myself ;) but thanks :)

Hmm, I was exhited about 1 thing, and that was Rob Lowe as Simba.
I'm quite dissapointed hearing it now. I'd sure like to know why Matthew couldn't/wouldn't/didn't! haha

Nala voice is OK, you can tell it's someone else, but the way she speaks is very close to Moira.

Ngatuny
November 23rd, 2015, 03:47 PM
I liked it, it was very good animation and while the voices were different they fit the characters.

s-tlk
November 23rd, 2015, 07:37 PM
Since I'm waiting at the airport I transcribed the lyrics of TLG songs. Can someone please check it?

It's a beautiful day

It's a good day to have some fun to run and play
[Whoa oh yeah oh]
Sun's so hot, it melts my worries all away
[Whoa oh yeah oh]
I'm gonna take it easy, got no reason to work all day
[Whoa oh yeah oh]
I'm gonna keep on smiling, keep on riding all the way
[Whoa oh yeah oh]

Come on I'll tell ya
Come play with me and we'll run free
[Whoa oh yeah oh]
Through the Pride Lands up to the highest tree
[Whoa oh yeah oh]
Gotta live for fun it's the only way

It's beautiful, it's a beautiful day
It's a beautiful day
[Whoa oh yeah oh]

[Whoa oh yeah oh]

Zuka Zama

Zuka Zama Zom zom zom
Zuka Zama Zom zom zom
Life's exciting, life is fun
Zuka Zama Zom zom zom
A big adventure for everyone
Zuka Zama Zom zom zom
Life's a party and it's filled with thrills
Zuka Zama Zom zom zom
Don't worry about the scrapes and spills
Zuka Zama Zom zom zom
Zuka Zama Zom zom zom
Zuka Zama Zom zom zom

Pop up, pop up Zuka Zuka
Dive in, dive in Zama Zama
Go, go, go Zom zom zom
Flyin' through the trees like busy, busy bee going
Zuka Zama Zom zom zom
Zuka Zama Zom zom zom
Zuka Zama Zom zom zom
Zuka Zama Zom zom zom

Now you know my little motto for life
Zuka Zama Zom zom zom
Enjoy the chaos, ignore the strife
Zuka Zama Zom zom zom
When life throws you a crazy curve
Zuka Zama Zom zom zom
Go Zuka Zama, don't lose your nerve
Zuka Zama Zom zom zom
Zuka Zama Zom zom zom
Zuka Zama Zom zom zom

Pop up, pop up Zuka Zuka
Dive in, dive in Zama Zama
Go, go, go Zom zom zom
Flyin' through the trees like busy, busy bee going
Zuka Zama Zom zom zom
Zuka Zama Zom zom zom
Zuka Zama Zom zom zom
Zuka Zama Zom zom zom

[repeat]

Tonight we strike

When you live in the Outlands
It's better to make your own rules
Ask anyone outside the Pride Lands
The Circle of Life is for fools

We go where we want when we want to
Ans we eat Yes, we eas as we please
That Kion can't give us a curfew
Or tell us to stay in the trees

[Chorus]
NO!
Tonight, we strike
Tonight, we strike
No one's safe, So the time is right
The Circle of Life's gonna feel our bite
Tonight, we strike
Tonight, we strike

So before this new Guard is ready
To defend the Pride Lands from harm
We'll make them all feel unsteady
We'll give them cause for alarm

[Chorus]
Tonight, we strike
Tonight, we strike
Tonight, we strike
Tonight, we strike

Alright fellows, bring it in
Here's the plan:

While the animals are in their slumber
We'll be creeping beneath
And just like a roaring thunder
We will wake them up with their teeeth

[Chorus]
Tonight, we strike
Tonight, we strike
Tonight, we strike
Tonight, we strike

[repeat with Janja] [repeat with Janja]

[B]It is time

Why? Why even trust me at all?
They say the Guard is my call
But then come tell me I'm wrong

Now what; What shoukd I do?
And who, who do I turn to?
Now everyhting feels so upside down
Deep down, maybe I knew
It was way too good to be true
With all my friend looking up to me
Some leader I turned out to be

[Mufasa appears]

Maybe my journey is far from done
They need a leader and I'm the one
So now it's time for them all to see
The Lion I was born to be

It is time To take the lead on my own
It is time for something bigger than I've ever known
No need to wonder the choice is done
Now I believe I'm truly am the one
So is it time? Is it time?
Yes! It is time!

Kirauni
November 23rd, 2015, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the lyrics, s-tlk.

It's a beautiful, it's a beautiful day
[Whoa oh yeah oh]

Secondly, I think in the last part of Zuka Zama it should be "Flyin' through the trees like a busy, busy bee going" but the rest seems fine to me. I didn't have the time to check the other lyrics though. ;)
However, according to the iTunes tracklist of the official soundtrack, Kion's song is called "Kion's Lament" and not "It is time".There's also a song called "It is time" by Beau Black on the CD, so we should not confuse both songs.

Edit: Okay, I looked a little closer at "Zuka Zama" now and here is what I got:

Zuka Zama Zom Zom Zom

Zuka Zama Zom Zom Zom
Zuka Zama Zom Zom Zom

Life's exciting, life is fun
Zuka Zama Zom Zom Zom
A big adventure for everyone
Zuka Zama Zom Zom Zom
Life's a party and it's filled with thrills
Zuka Zama Zom Zom Zom
Don't worry about the scrapes and spills
Zuka Zama Zom Zom Zom
Zuka Zama Zom Zom Zom
Zuka Zama Zom Zom Zom

Pop up, pop up
Zuka Zuka
Dive in, dive in
Zama Zama
Go, go, go!
Zom Zom Zom
Flyin' through the trees like a busy, busy bee going
Zuka Zama Zom Zom Zom
Zuka Zama Zom Zom Zom
Zuka Zama Zom Zom Zom
Zuka Zama Zom Zom Zom

Now you know my little motto for life
Zuka Zama Zom Zom Zom
Enjoy the chaos, ignore the strife
Zuka Zama Zom Zom Zom
When life throws you a crazy curve
Zuka Zama Zom Zom Zom
Go Zuka Zama, don't lose your nerve
Zuka Zama Zom Zom Zom
Zuka Zama Zom Zom Zom
Zuka Zama Zom Zom Zom

Pop up, pop up
Zuka Zuka
Dive in, dive in
Zama Zama
Go, go, go!
Zom Zom Zom
Flyin' through the trees like a busy, busy bee going
Zuka Zama Zom Zom Zom
Zuka Zama Zom Zom Zom
Zuka Zama Zom Zom Zom
Zuka Zama Zom Zom Zom

Pop up, pop up
Zuka Zuka
Dive in, dive in
Zama Zama
Go, go, go!
Zom Zom Zom
Lika a bee, like a bee, like a busy, busy bee going
Zuka Zama Zom Zom Zom
Zuka Zama Zom Zom Zom
Zuka Zama Zom Zom Zom
Zuka Zama Zom Zom Zom
Edit: And this is what I understood of "A beautiful Day"

A Beautiful Day

It's a good day to have some fun to run and play
[Whoohoo ey ooh]
The sun's so hot, it melts my worries all away
[ohhh ey ooh]
I'm gonna take it easy, got no reason to work all day
[Whoohoo ey ooh]
Oh, I'm gonna keep on smiling, keep on riding all the way
[ohhh ey ooh]

Come on I'll tell ya

[Swahili Text]
[Whoohoohoohoohoo]
[Whoohoohoohoohoo]
[Whoohoohoohoohoo]
(Ni Siku Nzuri)
It's a beautiful day
(Ni Siku Nzuri)
[Whoohoohoohoo]
[Whoohoohoohoo]
[Whoohoohoohoo]
(Ni Siku Nzuri)
(Ni Siku Nzuri)
(Ni Siku Nzuri)

I wish I had the African Lyrics in the middle of the song. "Ni Siku Nzuri" basically means "it's a good day" or "it's a blessed day". At least that's what my dictionary told me ;)

Simbaspirit
November 24th, 2015, 04:10 AM
Hmm.. mixed feelings. I was surprised at how inconsistent the animation was - for example, I found the cubs to be much more classic TLK style than the adult lions. Kion's animation especially was great, and the landscapes were beautiful. All the movement seemed weird to me though - hard to describe, but it seemed more like they were floating against a backdrop than actually running on the grass if that makes any sense.

Bunga gets on my nerves, but he's to be expected for a show for kids that age (token high energy sing songy character). The Kiara thing is weird too. I guess I don't really get the point of including her at all if they're changing her personality and character.

Despite the gripes, I thought it was pretty good for what it is. I think its a great testament to how TLK has such a lasting effect and will continue to keep generations entertained and happy.

Speaking of lasting.. just realized I've been on lea on and off for over 10 years :kovusmile:

Falconsfan22
November 25th, 2015, 07:05 AM
The lion guard return of the roar was the 3rd most viewed show on cable Sunday and 5th most viewed that week. It really tells you the power that the lion king and all its sequels have to be in the top 5 when it comes to tv watching in 2015.

Azerane
November 26th, 2015, 07:17 AM
Had to flick past all the posts because I haven't watched it yet, I promised my friend I'd watch it with her and she's not available until next week.

From what I've seen of the teasers etc on youtube I can say that I hate the design of Fuli, she looks very out of place in the lion king universe, The Lion Guard itself looks quite cheesy, but it is more kid focused so that's acceptable, and I very much disklike that Kiara is a cub and seems to ignore the fact that she never wanted to be queen in the first place.

Will be interesting to watch the whole thing :)

King Simba
November 26th, 2015, 10:31 AM
Just watched the music video for "Here Comes The Lion Guard". I think it's fantastic. Not only is it super catchy, but it's also introducing The Lion King universe to a whole new generation. Now I may just have some new TLK music to listen to on my iPod as well. :p

I also watched the pilot episode. Overall I really enjoyed it. It was nice to see the characters in motion, getting to know them more, seeing new ones (such as Zuri and Tiifu) and seeing some familiar ones too. Yes, the animation felt a bit "patchy" at times, and it feels kinda different to the animation we're used to in the movies, but overall I think it worked and flowed really well.

My favourite scene had to be when Kion sung "It is Time". They did a great job bringing Mufasa's ghost into it. And James Earl Jones still sounds great. :) There's some other really cool songs in there, I liked "Tonight We Strike".

And yeah, a cringeworthy moment of the episode was Zuri whining about breaking her nails. :cringe: And also Bunga's strategy to save Kiara from the gazelles, but I guess I can accept it because it's a Disney Junior show intended for kids after all.

Can't wait to watch the series in the New Year! :D

Leorgathar
November 28th, 2015, 03:51 AM
I watched it last monday, and overall I quite enjoyed it. I think they did a fantastic job, maybe with some flaws here and there (that fart joke, ugh xP), but all the good overshadows the bad :)
All the songs were excellent, with the most brilliant being Tonight We Strike, of course, which I certainly didn't expect.

I love all the new characters (maybe except for Zuri, her whining was darn annoying >< but I'll let it pass, maybe they'll develop her more in the series), I really look forward to see more about them.
Bunga... love him or hate him, but I found him really funny in a cute way :lol: Zuka Zama is basically YOLO in Swahilli, if you think about it... xD

Addressing the Kiara issue, well, I actually got to watch a mini-marathon of both TLK and TLK2:SP before watching TLG. But while I was watching TLK2, I wondered how it would be if I stopped watching after the My Lullaby song (which works well as a cliffhanger) and then jumped straight into TLG instead. I did that and guess what... I think it worked pretty well. Simba gives Kiara the We Are One song/pep talk, Kiara stares at Pride Rock with a new understanding that being queen might not so bad after all, and in TLG Simba gives Kiara special lessons on leading the pride as queen, making their bonds stronger. Besides, we gotta remember the cub section of Kiara in TLK2 happens in only one day.
That said, I doubt this is the way the writers intended it, they probably just got the character wrong. I just don't think it's that big of a screw up simply because for me it seems to work like I said.

Now as for the star of the show, Kion... wow ok, I'll just say it, Kion is my new favourite lion in the TLK universe :kionwow: I loved him! He's definitely not a Simba clone, but he has to be the most noble lion ever since Mufasa (he's a mini Mufasa!), despite him having carefree fun like any kid, he still takes his new position seriously. And say what you may, but his Kion's Lament song and interaction with Mufasa was definitely heartwarming, I adored that scene.

I don't know how the series will be, maybe its aim for little kids will eventually end up making it somewhat boring for us grown fans, but I do have a little more faith in the show now, it does have a lot of potential :)

Guntur
November 28th, 2015, 04:29 AM
I

Nala voice is OK, you can tell it's someone else, but the way she speaks is very close to Moira.

Yeah, I like Gabrielle Union, well I seen her a lot on music video and couple of movies, I'm surprised that her voice is fit in with that Motherly tone. But I prefer Moira always, I like her tonal voice, so motherly and so soothing.

Sharifu
December 1st, 2015, 09:55 PM
I'm a little late in mentioning this, but I enjoyed The Lion Guard pilot. For a TV show, I am impressed with it. I think it is much better looking than The Timon and Pumbaa Show for example. :p And I was a little annoyed with how The Timon and Pumbaa Show was so weird, like them traveling the world, talking with humans, etc. I liked some of the episodes, especially the rare few ones that stared Rafiki, Zazu, Simba, and/or the hyenas. But The Lion Guard I think is more of the type of TV show for The Lion King that I really wanted as a kid. When I saw The Timon and Pumbaa Show for the first time, (I think at the age of 10 or 11) the first part of the episode was about Timon and Pumbaa, then the second part was a story with Rafiki. So I assumed from that point on, that the second part of a 30 minute Timon and Pumbaa episode was going to be about other characters than Timon and Pumbaa. But as I continued watching the show, I realized this was not the case. Most of the time, the two parts of one 30 minute show was only about Timon and Pumbaa. I really wanted to see episodes with Simba and Nala for example, living in the Pride Lands after Simba became king. (This was before Simba's Pride even, so I had no idea what Simba's cub(s) were even going to be like) And for The Lion Guard being a Disney Junior show, I am relived that the characters don't break the fourth wall and talk to the audience, like I have seen in some Disney Junior shows. Hopefully that will stay that way for the rest of the episodes. ;) (I think it will though)

I think the only thing that bugged me a little bit was the walk cycles of some of the lions looked a little funny at times, and maybe how it kind of seems like an alternate story line to Simba's Pride, including cub Kiara and having her personality be so different. I get Leor's theory, maybe she matured a little bit, and The Lion Guard pilot happened after "We Are One" in Simba's Pride, but before Kiara grew up. But still, I don't really buy that. :lol: I can't help it. Adult Kiara in Simba's Pride doesn't seem so different to me than her cub self in Simba's Pride. The Lion Guard's version of Kiara still seems quite different to me, personality wise. And plus, that doesn't really explain why there are hyenas in the Outlands instead of the Outlander lions, or where is Kion in the Simba's Pride version of the story? Kiara doesn't look that much older than Kion. I think Disney once again created more plot holes with The Lion Guard. But don't get me wrong, I am still excited about The Lion Guard and looking forward to more episodes. This is not a deal breaker for me, I mean how Simba's Pride doesn't seem to make sense with what The Lion Guard has started so far, that would just be silly for not enjoying The Lion Guard for that reason. Plus, it's not like I love Simba's Pride so much that it upsets me that The Lion Guard might be changing the story. But who knows, maybe in the future they will combine the two stories in the future, if The Lion Guard becomes popular enough. I am happy either way that Disney is creating a whole new world of TLK for us to enjoy. I would be honored to get a job to work a TV show like The Lion Guard, kind of wish I could. ;)

Azerane
December 6th, 2015, 08:09 AM
Ok, so I finally got to watch it today! :D

Firstly I must say that overall I enjoyed it. It was wonderful having some more TLK universe to explore, new characters etc, and the background are simply to die for!

In parts it was extremely cringe worthy. Kiara's friend Zuri should be done away with, her character is far too overdone, if it wasn't for her and Fuli's poor cheetah design, I would have liked it far better.

In terms of new characters, while we don't experience much of him I quite liked Ono, he seems like a well rounded character with a well suited voice. Kion is also a great character, his facial expressions were well animated I thought in keeping with TLK style. Other animation was not so great, mainly the walk cycles of the lions, where their legs are barely bending, they just kind of shuffle along with the paws moving. It bugged me.

The songs were alright, Zuka Zama was a little bit much and repetitive for me, although I can see how it would be great for kids (and annoying for parents!). I really loved Tonight We Strike, although I wasn't immediately sold on the animation sequence with it, it has grown on me. In saying that, what bothers the hell out of me is that the whole song is about them striking at night, while the lions are asleep. And then they just go and strike in the middle of the day. How stupid can you get :P

Now, in terms of the story and how it fits in with Simba's Pride etc. Pat and I had a big discussion about this, because as I pointed out to him, although Kiara is a cub, she's an older cub than what she was in SP which means it does fit in between when her and Kovu first met and later on when they're teenagers. If you place TLG after Zira's idea for Kovu to become king, which is when he presumably goes into intense training, it's likely the Outlanders keep to themselves from that point on which is why TLG can be slotted in. Kiara's personality change is still a bit drastic, but it technically does fit in that time frame without too much pushing.

I know that a lot of people have issues with the voices. And while I certainly understand that, I don't expect different voice actors to sound identical to their predecessors and I think it works out reasonably well.

Apart from those multiple things, there's a few other nit picky things I wasn't a fan of, stylings and silly moments etc. But I know I have to watch it for what it is, which is a pilot for a kids tv show, so all in all, I quite enjoyed it (apart from that whole scene with Zuri, that was just dumb :p ). And at the end of the day, it's just awesome to have an expanded TLK universe. :)

Oh and another thing that Pat just reminded me of is their overuse of the catch phrases. Such as Kion's Hevi Kabisa which he says multiple times which really downplays the impact of it.

Another also... Janja is a cool villain, except I hated that moment with the caterpillar, where he couldn't even pounce it. He's supposed to be menacing but they just make him look like a fool. It takes away his credibility.