PDA

View Full Version : Post Your Favorite Dish

Guntur
September 8th, 2015, 03:58 PM
self explanatory title. :lol: I know.

I just want to share my favorite local food, I really like Chinese food and I really love the Malay, Indian, Chinese, Thailand, and Indonesian cuisine.

Here's my all time favorite local chinese western food.

http://yengkengcafebar.com/images/menu_images/lwe4.jpg

nathalie
September 8th, 2015, 04:03 PM
Fries = Belgium = good choice ;) haha

Chicken, rice & curry sauce, always an awesome combo for me, lol.
I could eat this every single day.

Guntur
September 8th, 2015, 04:16 PM
Fries = Belgium = good choice ;) haha

actually after reading a few food channel on tv and youtube, I would prefer making my own fries. ;) I don't know, one of the chef made a do it yourself fries it just strikes my heart and say "I wanna do that". :lol:

Chicken, rice & curry sauce, always an awesome combo for me, lol.
I could eat this every single day.

I would prefer exotic sauce than curry, been living with that for 26 years. :lol: But Chicken with Curry Sauce combo is definitely great. I would choose Sambal belacan with sauced chicken. ;)

nathalie
September 9th, 2015, 05:11 AM
Making them yourself really isn't that hard.
Cut a potatoe, drie the fries a little with a towel, bake them at 150°C a first time till they are slightly baked.
Leave to rest for 30-60 minutes (you can just leave them in the fryer basket), and then bake off on 170°C till golden/brown.

Fries are *not* from France (French Fries) it's a Belgian invention :D

Leorgathar
September 9th, 2015, 06:15 AM
That looks delicious, Guntur! I really like chinese food too. Japanese as well, I love sushi :slurp:

Now, Mexican food... I recommend Mole Poblano (it's a strange recipe, but it's utterly delicious)

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/52528b4ee4b0bcf2bc4e3c0e/52721a1ce4b00e4e26e7fc24/5576e870e4b093fac0b3be06/1435719730137/mole.jpg

Also the totally infallible option, Tacos al Pastor, yum! ^^

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/04/ae/f4/b3/tacos-al-pastor.jpg

Fries are *not* from France (French Fries) it's a Belgian invention :D
Ha! I knew it! :lol: (ok, not really, I didn't know that, but that's so cool x3)

Guntur
September 9th, 2015, 08:28 AM
Is it boneless, Leor? That just reminds me one of the TV dinner where they had like a good boneless chicken with teriyaki sauce, (That sauce look like Teriyaki for me. :lol: )

Tacos :slurp::nalawet: I have a terrible addiction on Tacos, and there's only one shop that only serve it, I kinda feel sad that I couldn't find any good Tacos shop other than a some tortilla chip knockoff brand.

To be honest, I haven't been to that place for 3 years, I bet it already close.

Nathalie, That is exactly what the British chef told me on Youtube, you Belgian are pros making a good chip. I can't wait to make my own fries. :cheese:

Kirauni
September 9th, 2015, 09:49 AM
What a delicious thread... now I'm really hungry!
:pumbaamunch2:

I also like Asian food very much. I'll have to take a photo of my favourite local dish someday. It's (French) fries with "Schnitzel" and mushrooms. Yummy!

Oh and Guntur, I've also tried making some fries myself. They were not bad, but they somehow lacked something. Could you post the link to the youtube video, please?

Guntur
September 9th, 2015, 11:10 AM
Oh and Guntur, I've also tried making some fries myself. They were not bad, but they somehow lacked something. Could you post the link to the youtube video, please?

Sure,

the title of the video is Simon Hopkinson Good Cook Episode 3.

https://youtu.be/ia52HjV6-Y8?t=7m17s

or https://youtu.be/ia52HjV6-Y8?t=7m17s if you can't view the embed video.

He actually cook chips and steak but the lesson of making a great chips is good enough for all of us. and he's using the same method as Nathalie said on above post. ;)

Leorgathar
September 9th, 2015, 07:03 PM
Is it boneless, Leor? That just reminds me one of the TV dinner where they had like a good boneless chicken with teriyaki sauce, (That sauce look like Teriyaki for me. :lol: )
Hmm not necessarily boneless, but the Mole Poblano sauce is typically poured over chicken, so it could as well be xD

i'm also a big fan of Teriyaki, but the Mole sauce is waaay different xD, it's prepared with various kinds of chilli peppers (chipotle, pasilla, mulato, etc.) and some other different spices. Then a bit of chocolate is added at the end of the mixure (yes, this thing actually has chocolate :p), and like I said, you pour it over chicken. It can be mildly spicy sometimes, but I love it ^^

Guntur
September 9th, 2015, 08:08 PM
Hmm not necessarily boneless, but the Mole Poblano sauce is typically poured over chicken, so it could as well be xD

i'm also a big fan of Teriyaki, but the Mole sauce is waaay different xD, it's prepared with various kinds of chilli peppers (chipotle, pasilla, mulato, etc.) and some other different spices. Then a bit of chocolate is added at the end of the mixure (yes, this thing actually has chocolate :p), and like I said, you pour it over chicken. It can be mildly spicy sometimes, but I love it ^^

So it is sweet and spicy? Ah alright. ;) I might try that. But for me if I want to go something spicy, I would order a very spicy food, I mean spicy like biting a Thai Chili (Bird Eye's Chili) seeds. :lol:

It's great that you have all kind of chili peppers in there, I really want to try it, with or without Chocolate if it possible. My Father do not like spicy food and regret buying a Fried Fish "Meletop" (which means extremely spicy) and I haven't see him eating a very spicy food since then. I think it is possible if I could get a chicken Breast since I like boneless chicken. ;)

Hmm Poblano shared the same family of Bird Eye's Chili, I'm sure it's going to be hard to find it in wet market. or even International market.

s-tlk
September 9th, 2015, 08:45 PM
I like every food that I don't need to cook myself. x'D
A very regional meal from my grandmother is called "Pilleerpel". Difficult to translate, but "Erpel" is German slang for potatoes. It's very similar to french fries, at least you cut the potatoes in the same shape, but then you put them raw in a hot pan for a couple of minutes. Afterwards you stew them on medium heat until they are done. Adding some onions, bacon, mushrooms, or anything you can find is a nice addition. Actually its a poor man meal, but I like it. You can serve anything like meat, "Schnitzel", or salad to it. I guess in most countries exists something similar, but called differently of course. Unfortunately I don't have a picture, but next time I will make one. When you like french fries you most likely find this good too, although the taste is different.

ThiagoPE
September 10th, 2015, 12:13 AM
When I was in Sao Paulo, I went to a German restaurant (which my city doesn't have) and I was really amazed by what I ate three, it was very very good.

In normal days here, I like Chinese and Japanese food, but them are very expensive, impossible eat it every day.
I basically hate almost all regional foods of here.

King Simba
September 10th, 2015, 05:28 AM
Gosh, this thread is making me hungry. :lol:

I'm into all kinds of different food. Whether it's Chinese, Italian, Mexican, Indian, Thai, Greek, seafood... it's like going on a world tour sometimes when it comes to food with me. :lol: Or if I don't fancy being too adventurous, I'll just stick with the usual Sunday roast (either roast beef, chicken, pork, lamb, turkey with assorted vegetables, gravy and Yorkshire puddings) or fish and chips (a popular British takeaway dish... battered cod, fried chips and either mushy peas, beans or curry sauce, or maybe even them all. :munch:

Or... maybe even just steak and chips. I'm not at all fussy when it comes to my belly. :p

Sunday roast (traditionally served on a Sunday but can be eaten on any day of the week):
http://www.bobthebrit.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/sunday-lunch.jpg

And good ol' fish and chips:
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/08/11/article-2024849-0B895E40000005DC-723_308x185.jpg

Right now though, while I'm in Cyprus I'm really into this:

http://healthyrecipesblogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/grilled-halloumi11.jpg
Grilled halloumi... basically grilled cheese, and it's delicious. :smile3:

nathalie
September 10th, 2015, 05:38 AM
Making fries yourself really isn't that hard.
Did I not explain how to in my post? :lol:

There's nothing too it, the trick is to demp them with a towel before you fry them the first time, second trick is to fry them twice.

Kirauni
September 10th, 2015, 06:55 AM
Yes, I saw that. But those youtube-cooks usually have some other little "secrets" they willingsly share. Well, not this time because as Guntur already said, he said nothing you haven't mentioned before. But thanks for explaining it again :)
The problem is probably that I didn't dry the potatoes with a towel and I only fried them once. And another problem might be that I can only use either a pan or an oven, but no real fryer. But I'll go and get some potatoes an then try it again. Now I'm curious XD

Guntur
September 10th, 2015, 10:14 AM
@Kirauni I saw a Caribbean chef use Sweet potato for their fries. I could try that though.

Kirauni
September 10th, 2015, 12:52 PM
Yes, I tried that once. Tasted really nice! Different from the usual fries, but interesting.
And if you fry them twice, I bet they'll be good :)

Guntur
September 10th, 2015, 01:39 PM
@Nathalie Yeap, I think European knows how to make a very tasty fries, I was watching the episode like 1 year ago and you describes exactly what he does. They (You and him) Fried twice, but he didn't give the viewers how many minutes we should wait after the patting on fries after the first cook, but he returned to the fries after he cooked the steak so I believe it's 30 minutes (as you describes).

Sweet Potato (Keledek) should be something, I like Keledek to be honest, I didn't imagine to use it to make a fries @Kirauni .

Hey @Kirauni could you get the notification that I mention you? :confused:

Kirauni
September 10th, 2015, 03:15 PM
No, you didn't use the proper syntax. Just have a look at the thread/announcement that I posted yesterday. It says clearly what you must type. But as I said, please don't use this tag all the time. You know I come here at least twice a day and I check every thread I post in. So there's no need to "tag" me *gg*

As far as I know there are different kinds of sweet potatoes. I used the orange ones for the fries.

Guntur
September 10th, 2015, 03:31 PM
No, you didn't use the proper syntax. Just have a look at the thread/announcement that I posted yesterday. It says clearly what you must type. But as I said, please don't use this tag all the time. You know I come here at least twice a day and I check every thread I post in. So there's no need to "tag" me *gg*

As far as I know there are different kinds of sweet potatoes. I used the orange ones for the fries.

Oh, alright alright, Thanks Kirauni. ;)

Well, I just want to try it out though. ;)

------------------------

Yeah, we malaysian have the orange ones, technically the same potatoes that 90% of the people have. ;)

nathalie
October 8th, 2015, 06:29 AM
How could I forget this ...

I don't really know what it's called in English, I guess it's kind of like a chicken pastry thing.

Over here it's called "vidée", "vol-au-vent" or "koninginnenhapje". (that last one actually means "queen's bite".

It's served in a little carved out pastry thing.
It's a sauce kind of (made with chicken stock), pieces of chicken in it, mushroom, and meatballs (though, not every place serves it with meatballs).
And off course, with fries :D

I love this! Whenever I go out for lunch/dinner somewhere, this is what I want, for the past 20 years!

Another way of eating it, is without the pastry, on top of a "crocque monsieur".
Which is basically a grilled cheese sandwich, with also ham in between. Very popular in Belgium.

http://www.vclangdorp.be/images/videe.jpg

Kirauni
October 8th, 2015, 09:54 AM
Wow.... you made me hungry XD

I actually had one of those last week. They are called "Könginpasteten" (=Queen's pastry) here in Germany. My mother makes really good ones. :)

nathalie
October 8th, 2015, 10:34 AM
Didn't know Germany knew this too.
But then again, whenever I've been to Germany, to closest to food I got was Burger King, Pizza Hut and McDonalds :lol:

Guntur
March 8th, 2016, 08:35 PM
Nasi Dagang.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-QgnsabQ3NwA/ULyESa_6HcI/AAAAAAAAAXc/KmGmhJFPAsg/s1600/nasi+dagang_1.JPG

and Youtube review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEHUQ8Y576Y

Guntur
April 7th, 2018, 09:58 PM
Wanna share this this Malacca gem, Mee Bodoh/Stupid Noodle/Simple Noodle/Noodle with chili oil with sunny side up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auFKMLUl5Mc&