PDA

View Full Version : Califórnia Earthquake

ThiagoPE
August 24th, 2014, 09:48 PM
Sorry my excessive concern but I really would like to know if our friends from california are fine after today´s earthquake.

Sharifu
August 24th, 2014, 10:07 PM
I'm fine, so is Sadiki and Vidan. I don't think we have any other active members from California, I know there is Sombolia, but she lives in Los Angeles, pretty far where the earthquake happened. It happened near Napa Valley, I was researching it a bit this morning. It looks pretty bad where it happened, it seems like there was a lot damage done to buildings and the earthquake started fires. I'm surprised it was a 6.0 magnitude earthquake, that is strong. In fact I read that this is the strongest earthquake to hit this area since the 1989 earthquake. I did feel it for sure, it woke me up and I wasn't sure exactly what was happening when I woke up, but once I realized the loud rattling noise was our dresser, I realized it was a earthquake. It was over so fast though, nothing broke, and no one is hurt here. So all is good. :)

ThiagoPE
August 24th, 2014, 10:44 PM
The news here showed some destruction, so i was worried about you all

http://s2.glbimg.com/H6vH_ltl78dxwq0AcKuXRSRisnY=/620x465/s.glbimg.com/jo/g1/f/original/2014/08/24/terremoto_na_california.jpg

Vidan
August 24th, 2014, 10:46 PM
I don't think anything even fell over in the house, but the event was definitely surprising. I'm glad nobody died, but I hope those few that were critically injured are able to make a full recovery.

Thanks for asking about us, Thiago.

Sharifu
August 24th, 2014, 10:54 PM
The news here showed some destruction, so i was worried about you all

http://s2.glbimg.com/H6vH_ltl78dxwq0AcKuXRSRisnY=/620x465/s.glbimg.com/jo/g1/f/original/2014/08/24/terremoto_na_california.jpg

Well that happened in Napa Valley. The earthquake's epicenter was in American Canyon, which is 43 miles away. So as far as I know, San Francisco didn't get a lot of damage. At least I haven't heard anything.

Thanks for your concern though, Thiago.

I do feel bad for the people in the more affected areas.

ThiagoPE
August 24th, 2014, 11:04 PM
How I don't know how the earthquake propagates (as here we don't have it), I though as san francisco were so near the epicenter, the damage would be same as it. But is glad to know you are safe.

Enviado de meu LT26i usando Tapatalk

Sharifu
August 25th, 2014, 12:41 AM
It's alright, honestly I don't know too much about earthquakes (even though I lived in California for most of my life). The first thing I did after the earthquake ended, was I got out of bed and got some water, went back to bed and then started researching about this earthquake that just happened using my phone. Petteri just rolled over and went back to sleep. Honestly if I didn't wake him up saying there was an earthquake going on, I don't know if he would of woke up. I guess he was just that tired. :lol: But I don't know how someone could not wake up to that, our dresser was making so much noise. I don't know if it was just the handles on the dresser drawers, or the things on top of the dresser, or maybe it was both. So glad nothing fell off, we have a lot of breakable items on our dresser, such as snow globes.