PDA

View Full Version : Feline breeding?

ChildOfThePride
November 18th, 2004, 12:26 AM
So we know tigers and lions can interbreed, but can lions and panthers?

TakaTiger
November 18th, 2004, 12:28 AM
i think they can, maby i should do some research oO

unregistered user
November 18th, 2004, 01:08 AM
*glances over at Shadow* Hey Shadow, your character is a panther, do ya know anything 'bout this?

Xinithian
November 18th, 2004, 01:19 AM
I don't think so...

jannali
November 18th, 2004, 01:21 AM
this page is amazing: http://members.aol.com/jshartwell/mutant-bigcats.html
twill answer all your questions ;)

Xinithian
November 18th, 2004, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by jannali
twill answer all your questions ;) Woah, I never knew there were blue tigers, and half of the ones on there...

Dare
November 18th, 2004, 01:27 AM
I think it depends on what your definition of "panther" is, considering how the term "panther" is applied to at least three different species (puma, leopard, jaguar).

ChildOfThePride
November 18th, 2004, 01:51 AM
o.O I guess...normal black panthers...like the one in my sig.

Dare
November 18th, 2004, 02:00 AM
Yes, but in your opinion, what is a "black panther"? A "black panther" can either be a black jaguar, or a black leopard.

Suki
November 18th, 2004, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by ChildOfThePride

http://img80.exs.cx/img80/2751/8O.jpg

ChildOfThePride
November 18th, 2004, 02:50 AM
LOL, Suki...

I guess I meant a black jaguar.

Suki
November 18th, 2004, 03:10 AM
LOL, Suki...

I guess I meant a black jaguar.

*whispers*Clean out your PM box. I need to send you something.*whispers*

EDIT: LOL! :lol:

Tabansi
November 18th, 2004, 04:35 AM
I've seen that site before and know, that a lot of thsoe arent true. White lions are real and 'technically' stripeless tigers are real too and also the 'golden tigers' are real. If you look up anything about a Blue Tiger, ect. Its impossible. If I learned correctly, every different cat has a certain amount of chromosomes in their body, if they have the same amount in the same species then they can mate, in this case, lions and tigers, but im not sure how many chromosomes a panther or leopard has. Apes have more chromosomes than us and *dont know why you would* but humans couldnt make a baby sucessfully with them. If your missing a chromosome then their might be mental retardation and physical abnormalities. And also Ligers and Tigons generally are sterilizized, not all, just some.
In any case. King cheetahs are very rare, because cheetahs through DNA experiments have been known to have a lot of the same traits, meaning at some point and time the cheetah race was almost extinct and they were forced to breed upon brothers and sisters. Or thats the theory for so similar dna of cheetahs. I would go on but right now I gotta get off. -_-

Snowy
November 18th, 2004, 05:37 AM
I think the general rule of thumb is that if two species are in the same genus, there's a very real chance that they can interbreed, but the odds are against the offspring being fertile. There are many documented crosses among species in the genus Equus (mules and zonkeys come immediately to mind). Crosses in the genus Canis are known across the board, largely domestic dogs crossed with a wild relative (coyote or the highly endangered Ethiopian wolf, not including the well known gray wolf, though there's taxonomical debate as to whether or not the domestic dog is just a subspecies of gray wolf to begin with), though coyote-wolf hybrids are known, too (and I'm not talking about the sometimes debated origins of the red wolf).* Similarly, members of the genus Panthera can interbreed, though lion-tiger crosses are probably the best documented. Leopons (offspring of a male leopard and a lioness) have been known to happen, just not as often, probably due to the size differential between the two (compared to the lesser difference between lions and tigers) to say nothing of possible problems of behavioral incompatability. Leopard-jaguar crosses have been reported as well, but they're also relatively rare. I don't think I've ever heard of a jaguar-lion cross before, though I don't see why it couldn't happen if crosses between other pantherines are possible.

*Oddly, Canis hybrids seem to be perfectly fertile, causing quite a few conservation problems, from coyotes hybridizing with the red wolf and the Eastern gray wolf to domestic dogs (feral and otherwise) hybridizing with the Ethiopian wolf, and consequently introducing "foreign" genes into the population, jeopardizing the genetic identity of the more endangered species.

Shadow
November 18th, 2004, 05:39 AM
Originally posted by Nuka
*glances over at Shadow* Hey Shadow, your character is a panther, do ya know anything 'bout this?

hmmm:confused: i dont really know....

but i culd easly fund out :evilgrin:......

nafklt
November 18th, 2004, 09:04 AM
But panthers don't live in Africa...:emo:

starlioness
November 18th, 2004, 09:25 AM
Tigers don't live in Africa either.. Ligers and such are mainly through captivity ;)..

here's a question.. can Red Foxes and Dogs (their size) interbreed? :thinks:

nafklt
November 18th, 2004, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by starlioness
Tigers don't live in Africa either.. Ligers and such are mainly through captivity ;)..

But most ligers and tigons are actually Asiatic lions and tigers...:hmm:

And I don't think foxes can interbreed even though they are both in the canine family...:confused:

Mabatu
November 18th, 2004, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Tabansi
I've seen that site before and know, that a lot of thsoe arent true. White lions are real and 'technically' stripeless tigers are real too and also the 'golden tigers' are real. If you look up anything about a Blue Tiger, ect. Its impossible. If I learned correctly, every different cat has a certain amount of chromosomes in their body, if they have the same amount in the same species then they can mate, in this case, lions and tigers, but im not sure how many chromosomes a panther or leopard has. Apes have more chromosomes than us and *dont know why you would* but humans couldnt make a baby sucessfully with them. If your missing a chromosome then their might be mental retardation and physical abnormalities. And also Ligers and Tigons generally are sterilizized, not all, just some.

That sounds accurate to me :ayecapn:

Shadow
November 18th, 2004, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by nafklt

this panther do :bleen:

Ngatuny
November 18th, 2004, 07:27 PM
Any of those combinations only happens in captivity since most of the animals avoid or even try to kill off any others as they are competition for food. I don't think lion / cheetah hybrids are possible.

Xinithian
November 19th, 2004, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by shadow
this panther do :bleen: Hunting would be too hard...

nafklt
November 19th, 2004, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by shadow
this panther do :bleen:

:lol::ayecapn: :cheese: :hakuna:

Tabansi
November 19th, 2004, 04:19 AM
So much stuff you'd have to put into an analysis, but hey, interesting topic. I like asiatic lions! *tacklehugz and gets mauled*

Suki
November 20th, 2004, 06:46 AM
Tigers don't live in Africa either..

:p What kind of cat do I look like to you?

Snowy
November 20th, 2004, 07:07 AM
"Leotahs" aren't possible, at least, not to my knowledge; lions and cheetahs are too far removed, to say nothing of physical and behavioral differences between them, or the fact that the lioness (as it'd have to be a male cheetah and a lioness, despite what the male-female naming convention of felid hybrids would otherwise suggest) would have to be artificially inseminated anyway, for fear of her killing the cheetah. To be honest, I don't think the cheetah is capable of hybridizing with any species. If I had to pick a candidate for a cheetah cross, though, I'd place my bets on the cougar, as genetic analysis puts the two species at least in the same phylogenetic lineage.

But, anyway, red foxes (Vulpes) and dogs (Canis) can't interbreed. Canids they may both be, but they're not closely related enough for the genetics to work. In the same way, last I heard, dogs can't interbreed with African wild dogs (Lycaon), gray foxes (Urocyon), arctic foxes (Alopex), raccoon dogs Nyctereutes, bush dogs Speothos, maned wolves (Chrysocyon), or dholes (Cuon). Nor can these species interbreed with one another. Like I said, general rule of thumb is if they're in the same genus, there's the potential that they can interbreed, but if they're not, then odds are they can't.*

Also, historically speaking, there aren't tigers in Africa, nor had there ever been. However, they have been introduced there, or don't you watch Animal Planet specials about conservation plans that risk seriously messing up an entire ecosystem for the sake of one charismatic foreign species?

*The only place where I've seen this "rule" bent -- if not outright broken -- is in the Felidae, which I put down more to the uncertainty of taxonomic classification within that family than the ability of cats to defy the restrictions of genetics.

starlioness
November 20th, 2004, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by nafklt

whoops, I thought you meant Tigers live in africa :idiot: sorry bout that...:hehe: .

and Suki looks like a shaved cat with Black human hair ;)

Snowy didn't say anything about Dingoes though :):confused:

FCSimba
November 20th, 2004, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by SimbaTheLion
I've seen that site before, not nice with the pictures of fur and dead cats :( ...

Foxes are vulpines, and they tend to be enemies with most dogs; because of the people who think it is acceptable to hunt the poor things :tears: :( ... However wild dogs, now that might be a different story :hmm: ...

Lions can breed with leopards to produce leopons, I know that for a fact =) .

Also apparently lions can be bred with cheetahs to produce leotahs, although this probably isn't true.

All of these inbreeds are found in our guild, though we're not always one-hundred percent SURE they can be done, right Simba? I'm completely positive about Ligers and Tigons, that's a duh thing :evilgrin: and Leopons I'm about eighty percent sure...Liotah's? Hmmm...:thinks: I'll do some research later.

FCSimba
November 20th, 2004, 09:09 AM
I've seen that site before, not nice with the pictures of fur and dead cats :( ...

Foxes are vulpines, and they tend to be enemies with most dogs; because of the people who think it is acceptable to hunt the poor things :tears: :( ... However wild dogs, now that might be a different story :hmm: ...

Lions can breed with leopards to produce leopons, I know that for a fact =) .

Also apparently lions can be bred with cheetahs to produce leotahs, although this probably isn't true.

Psh, :Ooo: just because we RolePlay with Liotahs or Cheetons doesn' mean we believe they're real. Or at least, I'm pretty sure that they aren't real. =) Ahh don't mind me, I'm only fourteen. :cheese:

nafklt
November 20th, 2004, 10:48 PM
I'm sure about leopons =) . I think that a male cheetah with a female lion might work if she allowed it, but the other way round just wouldn't work because... well... the male lion might be a little too big for the female cheetah if you catch my drift ;) .

:ayecapn:

http://www.lairweb.org.nz/tiger/leopons.html

http://www.lairweb.org.nz/tiger/hybrids.html

http://members.aol.com/jshartwell/hybrid-bigcats.html

http://www.junglecats.com/

unregistered user
June 23rd, 2005, 01:35 AM

:gasp: :eww:

Whitewolf
June 23rd, 2005, 02:22 AM
hmmmmmm this is freaky mating .. so you telling me i can make a Lioness with a Lion then a tiger and then a panther and then a leopord and then a jaguar......... then what would that be call

Suki
June 23rd, 2005, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by jannali
twill answer all your questions ;)

My mom believes that our cat Firefly might be related to a serval, because of her long ears. I'll scan a photo of her sometime. ;)

and Suki looks like a shaved cat with Black human hair ;)

:lol:

Katse
June 23rd, 2005, 02:57 AM
:lol: Ha! I had a cheetah/lion hybrid character name Liotah when I was younger! I called them Chion's, though. She was my first TLK fan character.

Further back ontopic, leopons have been said to be in the wild. Strange, but true. Cheetahs and lions most definately can't breed. Like Snowy said, they're too different. Being so small, they're more like the smaller wild cats.

Simba_TLK
June 23rd, 2005, 02:58 AM
Originally posted by Whitewolf
hmmmmmm this is freaky mating .. so you telling me i can make a Lioness with a Lion then a tiger and then a panther and then a leopord and then a jaguar......... then what would that be call

yeah it is kinda freaky :p

but it is very possible. whether or not a lion will sucessfully mate with a panther is another question.

but through genetic modification etc, it is very possible for science to actually do it....kinda like Jurassic Park style stuff :gasp:

we learnt about this stuff in one of my University subjects.
they can conbine genetic material from any animal into another :eek:....
they already do it with plants for agriculture etc...
ever heard of GM Foods? (Genetically Modified Foods)

so technically they can make a cat blue, that smells like lemons or something :eww:
of course they dont do it, but they can.

Katse
June 23rd, 2005, 03:04 AM
Originally posted by Simba_TLK
they already do it with plants for agriculture etc...
ever heard of GM Foods? (Genetically Modified Foods)

so technically they can make a cat blue

I heard of GM Foods. I learned about them in my Agriculture class. We learned about hybrids, too.

I heard of the grapple, an apple that tastes like a grape. Sounds yummy. GM foods are also even seedless fruits, like some kinds of grapes and such.

There are already "blue" cats existing. Russian blues, to be exact.
http://www.petnet.com.au/cat/C115.jpg

Whitewolf
June 23rd, 2005, 04:42 AM
yea that be funny if they can make a lion that can talk human.....

Xinithian
June 23rd, 2005, 04:57 AM
I'm sure about leopons =) . I think that a male cheetah with a female lion might work if she allowed it, but the other way round just wouldn't work because... well... the male lion might be a little too big for the female cheetah if you catch my drift ;) . It doesn't matter if the lioness allowed it. The zookeepers sedate the lioness, I saw a picture of it on that hybrid site.

Cerise
June 23rd, 2005, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by Katse

....I heard of the grapple, an apple that tastes like a grape. Sounds yummy....
[/IMG]

Do NOT waste your money on those things...:eww:

Whitewolf
June 23rd, 2005, 06:16 AM
Originally posted by Xinithian
It doesn't matter if the lioness allowed it. The zookeepers sedate the lioness, I saw a picture of it on that hybrid site.

ewww :eww: that sounds nasty when you say they sedate teh lioness.. so basicly they force them to mate :horror: that just not right:yuck:

Shatara
June 23rd, 2005, 06:45 AM
It doesn't matter if the lioness allowed it. The zookeepers sedate the lioness, I saw a picture of it on that hybrid site.

Just cause she's on her side, doesn't mean she's sedated.

Whitewolf
June 23rd, 2005, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by Shatara
Just cause she's on her side, doesn't mean she's sedated.

that true she could be tired or just lazy :D

Mabatu
June 24th, 2005, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Katse
There are already "blue" cats existing. Russian blues, to be exact.
http://www.petnet.com.au/cat/C115.jpg

I don't get why they call those cats blue - i mean they are a bluey-grey colour, but much more grey than anything else...or maybe i'm just colourblind :lol:

But anyway, i think what Simba_TLK meant was that they could make a cat actually blue...like really blue :p I can't really see why it isn't possible, theoretically at least. Provided they could isolate a gene for a blue pigment, and successfully recombine it with the DNA in a fertilised cat egg cell, then that cat would produce the enzyme for blue pigment...and you'd have a 'real' blue cat :bleen: :D

starlioness
June 24th, 2005, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Mabatu

But anyway, i think what Simba_TLK meant was that they could make a cat actually blue...like really blue :p I can't really see why it isn't possible, theoretically at least. Provided they could isolate a gene for a blue pigment, and successfully recombine it with the DNA in a fertilised cat egg cell, then that cat would produce the enzyme for blue pigment...and you'd have a 'real' blue cat :bleen: :D

like me *points to avatar* :):cheese:

blue cats will take over! mwhaaa:evilgrin:

Lweek
June 24th, 2005, 02:30 PM
But lions live in Asia as well as Tigers. ;)

Xinithian
June 24th, 2005, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Shatara
Just cause she's on her side, doesn't mean she's sedated. Yeah, but I don't think that she'd allow for a leopard to mate her. It's hard enough getting some lions to. Besides, in those pictures she looks totally unresponsive. The only movement I see in that is her head, and she only looks slightly up.

Mabatu
June 25th, 2005, 01:58 PM
Yeah, but I don't think that she'd allow for a leopard to mate her. It's hard enough getting some lions to. Besides, in those pictures she looks totally unresponsive. The only movement I see in that is her head, and she only looks slightly up.

Yeah, i'd agree with Xinithian on that, it seems unlikely that a fully alert lioness would lie on her side like that. It'd make more sense if the zookeepers did sedate her anyway - why would they risk the leopard getting injured by her, when they could just sedate her a bit to prevent that.

Also the fact that she barely changes position in all those photos would suggest she's sedated.

I don't really know why i'm commenting on this, i'm certainly no expert :lol: :p .