PDA

View Full Version : Gay marriage?

Xinithian
November 9th, 2004, 04:19 AM
I'm curious to see what you think about gay marriages...
If you're against them, I would like to see why you are.

nafklt
November 9th, 2004, 04:24 AM
It should be legal. Free country. At least in Canada it is...:P

Juniper
November 9th, 2004, 04:26 AM
Should be legal, I say let people do what they want, it's none of my business or anyone else's.

nafklt
November 9th, 2004, 04:30 AM
Originally posted by pntbll248
Should be legal, I say let people do what they want, it's none of my business or anyone else's.

Good point...;)

Dare
November 9th, 2004, 04:41 AM
Legal...I mean, why not? All of the other minorities have the same rights as everyone else, so why not homosexuals?

nafklt
November 9th, 2004, 04:42 AM
Maybe there should be another poll on Abortion and Stem-cell research...:P

Xinithian
November 9th, 2004, 04:58 AM
Originally posted by nafklt
Maybe there should be another poll on Abortion and Stem-cell research...:P The abortion thread would get too heated, I think.

jannali
November 9th, 2004, 05:08 AM
Originally posted by Xinithian
The abortion thread would get too heated, I think.

i dont think an abortion thread would be a good idea either. it would be a furnace in there.

anywhoo, i dont see why people have a problem with gay marriage. i dont have anything against it *shrug* :hakuna:

nafklt
November 9th, 2004, 06:21 AM
Whoa, there's a lot of votes against it, but no one's speaking up...:P

Juniper
November 9th, 2004, 06:34 AM
I think one of those is mine, I thought it said "legal" on the bottom and "illegal" on the top (bit of dyslexia I guess:p)

jannali
November 9th, 2004, 06:35 AM
i think the people who voted against it just dont want to be flamed or maybe they'd rather just not say because they dont want to hurt someone's feelings

nafklt
November 9th, 2004, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by jannali
i think the people who voted against it just dont want to be flamed or maybe they'd rather just not say because they dont want to hurt someone's feelings

Maybe...:P

jannali
November 9th, 2004, 06:39 AM
:lol: it sounds like you dont believe me nafklt

nafklt
November 9th, 2004, 06:42 AM
:lol: it sounds like you dont believe me nafklt

Maybe...:P:bleen:

J/K. True true.;)

jannali
November 9th, 2004, 06:49 AM
:lol:

im confused

nafklt
November 9th, 2004, 06:54 AM

True.:bleen: Yeah, that's what I meant...:p

jannali
November 9th, 2004, 07:00 AM
lol ok i need a brain too nafklt :lol:

nafklt
November 9th, 2004, 07:01 AM

jannali
November 9th, 2004, 07:16 AM
AAHH Nafklt! now look what you've done! ive got that "if i only had a brain" song stuck in my head from the wizard of oz *dies* :lol:

Kovu
November 9th, 2004, 07:20 AM
Well it can be legal. Nothing wrong for people to be with whom they like. But hopefully it doesn't encourage being gay, or the birth rate will fall. :confused: :p

unregistered user
November 9th, 2004, 07:21 AM
*Inserts a brain into Jannali's head*;):p
Btw, I have nothing against the whole gay marriage thing, heh.

nafklt
November 9th, 2004, 07:26 AM
AAHH Nafklt! now look what you've done! ive got that "if i only had a brain" song stuck in my head from the wizard of oz *dies* :lol:

"We're off to see the wizard, the wonderful wizard of Oz! *taps heels*...":evilgrin: :P

Originally posted by Kovu
Well it can be legal. Nothing wrong for people to be with whom they like. But hopefully it doesn't encourage being gay, or the birth rate will fall. :confused: :p

Good point...XD

unregistered user
November 9th, 2004, 07:28 AM
"We're off to see the wizard, the wonderful wizard of Oz! *taps heels*...":evilgrin: :P

Oh, geez LoL.

nafklt
November 9th, 2004, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by Kenyi
Oh, geez LoL.

:evilgrin:

lion_roog
November 9th, 2004, 07:46 AM
But hopefully it doesn't encourage being gay, or the birth rate will fall. :confused: :p

I fully support being gay......it means more girls for me.......:evilgrin: :D

King Simba
November 9th, 2004, 09:23 AM
I think they should be legal. Nothing really wrong if someone wants a gay marriage. It's their choice.

Sharifu
November 9th, 2004, 09:44 AM
I have nothing against gay marriages.

Encourage being gay? I don't think people choose to be gay, I think that they are born that way. Why would somebody choose to be gay? Homosexuals have a hard time being excepted, who whould choose to be gay if they had a choice? Doesn't that make sense?

Homosexuals should get the same rights a regular married couple has. For example, if a gay couple is at a hospital, and one of them is dying, the other man/women of the couple can't be in the same room because he/she isn't a spouse. :rolleyes:

I am straight, but my mom has told me over the years what she has thought about this, and I agree. My dad thinks people choose to be gay, but I think he is wrong.

Besides, some gay guys are really funny. ;) Has anyone ever seen the movie, The Bird Cage? OMG that has to be one of the funniest movies ever... :lol:

Originally posted by lion_roog
I fully support being gay......it means more girls for me.......:evilgrin: :D

lion_roog
November 9th, 2004, 01:08 PM
I mean if we let Gay marriage happen....where will it stop?....will multiple partner marriages happen next....just think about it....three guys getting married...four guys and two girls......four girls and a guy-DAMN I CAN'T WAIT........:D :evilgrin: :D

nathalie
November 9th, 2004, 01:28 PM
Should be legal.

If a man and a woman who love each other can marry, then why can't a man and a man (or woman and woman) who love each other marry.

Spirit
November 9th, 2004, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by nathalie
Should be legal.

If a man and a woman who love each other can marry, then why can't a man and a man (or woman and woman) who love each other marry.

I totally agree!!:ayecapn:

unregistered user
November 9th, 2004, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Sharifu
I don't think people choose to be gay, I think that they are born that way.

Indeed! 'Tis their Nature. People's sexual preference should be left alone, to their privacy and not be persecuted by others. But, like the domineering society we are. Fairness will not have a justification.

Shadow
November 9th, 2004, 05:05 PM
i say Ligel 100% love as love no mather its gay lesbien our anything :browlift: 100 % ok for me =D

Lion Roar
November 9th, 2004, 05:11 PM
I think it should be legal BUT no with the same rights as a normal marriage (for example, that they can't adopt any child)

Ragoom
November 9th, 2004, 05:13 PM
I think it should be legal, ofcourse people who voted Illeagal obviously ahve their reasons and if they did post saying they voted that they shouldnt be shouted at! I mean it may not be your view but its theirs, plus someones religion could be insulted in the process, il use christianity as an example, I mean that sais that being Gay is a Sin...I could go on :P

Could I bring natural law into this? would be much fun :D and leave it open for more debate... woop^^

Ngatuny
November 9th, 2004, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Lion Roar
I think it should be legal BUT no with the same rights as a normal marriage (for example, that they can't adopt any child)

Ditto

unregistered user
November 9th, 2004, 06:29 PM
BUT no with the same rights as a normal marriage (for example, that they can't adopt any child)

Disagrees. Constitutionally speaking, it would be equitable to treat everyone as a whole, and not as a dissident. (some may say, that having an unbalance would bring inequality) And... if it does, it doesn't matter. If the child is happy, what does it matter anyway? Times are continuously changing... so get used to it. XD

Nephilim
November 9th, 2004, 06:43 PM
Neph says: yes.

Now this is one of my favourite topics to discuss. I have little time for it though, so let's rush through.

Here are the points I see made most often.

Why gay people shouldn't marry:

The point of marriage is to reproduce...

... as gay people cannot have babies, there is no point in marrying.

Judging by this statement, people who do not want to have babies, infertile couples and old couples should not marry. Many married people do not have children anyway, so this is eliminated.

The Bible says homosexuality is wrong.

Many people don't beleive in God or the Bible, so this can't really be used to back up anti-gay things. *doesn't want to get any further into a religious debate*

If it is right for two men/two women to marry each other, then why can't people marry animals? Or children.

1) Animals can't give consent. 2)It's illegal to marry animals.

Gay people marrying will effect society and turn people gay. For the same resons gay people should not be able to adopt as it will turn the children gay.

Yes. And hanging around with tall people makes you tall, in the same way that hanging around with blondes makes you blonde. :p It's just part of your DNA, that's all.

Nothing wrong for people to be with whom they like. But hopefully it doesn't encourage being gay, or the birth rate will fall.

Basically what I said up there. Oh, and by the way... sperm banks. No shortage of those.

:confused: We can go more into the whole gay thing later.

Ragoom
November 9th, 2004, 06:53 PM
Neph yes!! Brilliantly put ^^

And it is said that the Highest aim of relationships mainly the sexual part is pro creation, but with Gay people this is obviously not possible. Aquinas, a great Christian ...philosopher I think, said that every thing is created with a purpose and reason, and what they do and what is done is for the greater good, even if it is beyond human reasoning, this can be very reassuring to some people in a way, as say someone was to die, and you don?t know why and you get upset, well you can think about this, but I don believe this, as this is the basic outline of Natural law, but just by reading it you can tell there are going to be faults, like the pro creation thing, that is a teaching of natural law, but if Gay people were created surly it was inevitable and is reaching the greater good if they become gay, as it was "destined" to happen, so this is reaching the greater good? Then surly there is a fault in the pro creation theory of Natural law, so a fault in natural law itself, many of these faults can be found?

Amaryllis
November 9th, 2004, 06:56 PM
I totally agree with everyone actually
most people have his own thoughts about this kind of topics
i think it should be legal
oh well, there is so much i would say about this topic, it's one of those really BIG ones, but i just can't

unregistered user
November 9th, 2004, 08:05 PM
In Holland its legal. It should be legal everywhere! :D

A-non-a-mus
November 9th, 2004, 08:13 PM
I'm one of the ones who voted illeagle... I'll list my reasons why ... these are simply my opinion... and no, I'm not aganst gays... (as I do have some gay friends...)

Originally posted by Nephilim
The Bible says homosexuality is wrong.

this is probably the main reason... there's a passage in it that says a lot about it...
*also not wanting this to turn into a religious debate*

Another point about the subject:

Like neph said: 'The purpose of a marrage is to reproduce.' In doing so it transforms the marrage into a family. Now, if gay marrage were to take place, then it'd cause a huge break in the 'family'. I know it's not only gays that this would be... but also the many devorces... the many cases of husbands cheating on their wives and wives cheating on their husbands and even the sperm banks (yes, those too help break 'family')

why is this so significant:

the family is the cornerstone of every country.
If the cornerstone crumbles then the building colapses.
In the same sence if the 'family' crumbles, the country (no matter how strong) will colapse.

now, again I say, these are only my views... some may share them some may not... it doesn't matter to me... ;)
lets not cause an inferno ok? :)

Originally posted by Nephilim
[u]then why can't people marry animals?

I won't say when or where this happened... let's just say: 'it involved humans and monkies. When this happened, AIDS was created...

unregistered user
November 9th, 2004, 08:13 PM
Should be legal I have nothing against it

Nephilim
November 9th, 2004, 08:37 PM
I won't say when or where this happened... let's just say: 'it involved humans and monkies. When this happened, AIDS was created... [/B]

:lol: You do know that's completely untrue, right?

A-non-a-mus
November 9th, 2004, 08:40 PM
accually it did happen... though, it's a hidden fact... they want everyone to belive it's untrue...

A-non-a-mus
November 9th, 2004, 08:47 PM
perhaps they are :lol: I'm not sure as I wasn't there... (wouldn't be the first time either)... but I've got the info from a reliable sourse... though.. he HAS played tricks on me in the past... so I'm unsure...

Vidan
November 9th, 2004, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by A-non-a-mus
'The purpose of a marrage is to reproduce.' In doing so it transforms the marrage into a family. Now, if gay marrage were to take place, then it'd cause a huge break in the 'family'. I know it's not only gays that this would be... but also the many devorces... the many cases of husbands cheating on their wives and wives cheating on their husbands and even the sperm banks (yes, those too help break 'family')

why is this so significant:

the family is the cornerstone of every country.
If the cornerstone crumbles then the building colapses.
In the same sence if the 'family' crumbles, the country (no matter how strong) will colapse.

now, again I say, these are only my views... some may share them some may not... it doesn't matter to me... ;)
lets not cause an inferno ok? :)

Unmarried couples can have childen. If marriage and children were inseperable, what you'd be saying would be true. The United States has one of the highest divorce rates in the world; by your reasoning, divorced male-female couples would be the cause of this collapse, not male-male or female-female couples who may be stable and are able, between the two of them, support the raising of one or more children gotten through such means as adoption or invitro fertilization & surrogate mothers.

Gay couples, if afforded the same healthcare and legal benefits as straight (or, more accurately, male-female) couples, could potentially be just as likely to stay together. There is no evidence to suggest that they would be less likely to stay together save for the observation that they are not able to enjoy the stability-building benefits afforded by marriage, which, I think gives weight to a pro-gay marriage stance.

TakaTiger
November 9th, 2004, 11:39 PM
i say yes, whatever floats your boat ;)

Muruwa
November 9th, 2004, 11:46 PM
I'm not afraid to say I voted illegal. I don't mind that people are gay, but when they start to go as far as marriage, I have to put my foot down somewhere. I am obviously very influenced by my religion (read this http://www.lds.org/library/display/0,4945,161-1-11-1,00.html) Genders were obviously made for a reason. If some people say they are born gay/lesbian, why is it not possible to create children with our same gender? I don't see how you can be born gay, but I don't see how you can choose it either. I guess I don't have very good arguments backing my opinion (like the rest of you do) but I have something in me that is telling me that gay marriage is wrong. I must impress that I don't have a problem with gays, if I don't I fear I will sound like someone who can't tolerate others opinions. I respect you all for you opinions, unfourtunately, I don't share the same with all of you.

jannali
November 10th, 2004, 12:40 AM
im not saying i disagree with you, but those of you who said that you cant make it legal is because the bible says its wrong...you cant use the bible as a basis for whether or not something should be a law. church and state are two different things. who's to say that one religion has legal right over another? you just cant.

lion_roog
November 10th, 2004, 01:08 AM
The problem with the separation of church and state is that it's nearly impossible since both are so simular.....used for control and have simular set ups.

Now, people are usually gay by genetics....I guess it's simular to people who develop sexual organs from both sexes....it has to do with hormones and such.

Xinithian
November 10th, 2004, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by lion_roog
The problem with the separation of church and state is that it's nearly impossible since both are so simular.....used for control and have simular set ups. I disagree with that... when they say that the country was founded on Judeo-Christian beliefs, they meant that it was the foundation, but was intended to be modified to future events in the country. It doesn't mean that the country was founded to be based on the religion, but to use it as a foundation.

jannali
November 10th, 2004, 01:25 AM
i agree with you xinithian. in the usa there are so many different religions that are practiced, you cant let ONE of them intermingle with the government and the making of laws. that makes it unfair

TakaTiger
November 10th, 2004, 01:32 AM
well, its a free country, people should have the right to choose what to do with there lives, if you wanna marry the same sex, whatever, good luck

lion_roog
November 10th, 2004, 01:34 AM
I disagree with that... when they say that the country was founded on Judeo-Christian beliefs, they meant that it was the foundation, but was intended to be modified to future events in the country. It doesn't mean that the country was founded to be based on the religion, but to use it as a foundation.

I agree...but what I was saying is that religion can be very hard to remove from government because religion is almost a form of government in itself.

TakaTiger
November 10th, 2004, 01:36 AM
and what if your not religous? would it still apply?

lion_roog
November 10th, 2004, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by TakaTiger
and what if your not religous? would it still apply?

Will what still be applied?

If you are refering to religion's tendancy to be an influence in government, it has been common through out history and is still very common today.

unregistered user
November 10th, 2004, 01:57 AM
Woes of Folly, said it BEST! XD :bleen:

Kippy
November 10th, 2004, 01:57 AM

I seriously don't understand your reasoning here... I once had a friend whose adopted parents were a gay couple. She was as stable a girl as any I've ever seen. She even made gay jokes and laughed at the Bird Cage and such. It didn't affect her at all. Why should gay couples not be allowed to adopt a child? Why should anyone not have the same rights as someone else?

*watches some government monkey cut out "All Men Are Created Equal" and replace it with "All Men Are Created Equal, but All Straight, White, Rich Males are Created More Equal"*

Dare
November 10th, 2004, 02:04 AM
The way I see it, if a gay couple wants to adopt a child, let them. If they'd be able parents and provide food, shelter, stability, love and nurturing for the child, then why not?

I'd rather have a child raised by a gay couple than be tossed to the winds of the foster care system. I still get nightmares from the stories my social work friends told me.
:eww:

Xinithian
November 10th, 2004, 02:09 AM
The only thing wrong about them adopting is that I think it could be difficult for the kids dealing with the criticism and such... it might be a lot harder for them to deal with it socially.

Kippy
November 10th, 2004, 02:12 AM
The only thing wrong about them adopting is that I think it could be difficult for the kids dealing with the criticism and such... it might be a lot harder for them to deal with it socially.

Same for children of Middle Eastern heritage, doesn't mean we're banning that. (Although we may be on the brink o.o :lol:)

nafklt
November 10th, 2004, 03:00 AM
Doesn't the child choose to whom they go with?:confused:

Xinithian
November 10th, 2004, 04:13 AM
Doesn't the child choose to whom they go with?:confused: What?

Kippy
November 10th, 2004, 04:14 AM
Doesn't the child choose to whom they go with?:confused:

What, when they're adopted? Only if they're 12 or over, I think. Below that they are adopted out to any family deemed appropriate, stable, and loving. The adoption agency decides, basically.

Vidan
November 10th, 2004, 05:59 AM
Originally posted by Sonique21837?
Woes of Folly, said it BEST! XD :bleen:

Cool, you read it^^. People usually only respond when I use shorter sentences. :lol: :p

unregistered user
November 10th, 2004, 06:24 AM
Originally posted by Woes of Folly
Cool, you read it^^. People usually only respond when I use shorter sentences. :lol: :p

It took the longest time to eradicate my short attention span. So, no matter the longevity of a post, I can adapt. :wicked:

unregistered user
November 10th, 2004, 06:51 AM
Do I even have to say what I was voting for?;)

Ofcourse I have nothing against gay marrige, I mean what whould possibly go wrong? A person don't choose to become gay, and you can't make a person become gay, bi or hetero, the person wont feel good in the end. The relationship doesn't make other peoples gay. I can't find any reason to discust it even if it is a fun thing to talk about, thought with adoption I wasn't sure untill I read that thing about that girl, it doesn't affect kids. I think that should be legal to.

lion_roog
November 10th, 2004, 07:02 AM
Usually, I just read the first couple of words....then I respond......:D

Sadiki
November 10th, 2004, 08:19 AM
Hmm.. interesting subject... well first of all.. what we are to judge? what says that bibel is right or neither what says that it is wrong? Adoubtion is not right at least even I am ok with gays and if they wanna marry each others, because when Child come old enough he/she will reallise that he/she have too same sex parent and that would be shock.
And what comes in that is there any point with getting marrage if you are gay? well is there really point to get marrage at all then? when people go marrage they uselly just wanna proof how much they love each others ( even in these days so many rush with it ) So what makes us say that they have lesser rights to do so?
Hmm getting marrage with an animal.. that is not possible... I think animal can't say nothing to it so it would be forceing so is not possible. Like if you would want to marrage your dog.. how she would say. "I do" or "no I don't want to" when priest ask: " (What ever it is in english, I can't remember right now") so there is no way that it would be ok.
I personally know few gay people and they are ok. there is nothing wrong to be gay, you don't have to accept it, but at least give their right to live their rights to live like they want.

Shadow
November 10th, 2004, 02:24 PM
exsektly my point Mighty =D

marriage ok 100% ok and i suport it

Adoption.....thats not fair for the child :alone:

Dare
November 10th, 2004, 04:02 PM
I know two kids who have same-sex parents, and they're fine with it because their parents were honest about their relationship from the beginning.
That's very important.
Trust is a big factor between parent and child.
If you're going to lie to your children about whether you're gay or not, then I personally don't think you're really ready for children.

However, if we're going to talk about what's fair and not fair for the child, then why do we not ban homosexuals from reproducing? After all, they could simply go to a sperm bank or a surrogate mother (kudos to surrogate mothers, you're stronger than I ever could be).
That way, they still get a child.

Now, my point is that the child they just created could be in for the same shock an adopted child could be in for...
so...is it wrong to let gay couples produce offspring? Do we take their children away to be raised by heterosexual couples?

Thus far I haven't heard of such a case, but if you want to dance with moral issues and legalities, it wouldn't surprise me if a lawsuit like that pops up sooner or later...they sue handicapped couples for child custody all the time.
*snorts*

A-non-a-mus
November 10th, 2004, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Kippy
"All Men Are Created Equal, but All Straight, White, Rich Males are Created More Equal"*

Now, I can really go on with a long post explaining in detail how this is utterly false... if anything whites are way below the spectrum...

all-in-all: nobody cares if someone's racial to a white person... especially if you're on the poor side

yet if their black: oh no, you better not even yell at them

:grrr:

I'm hoping that this is mainly due to where I live... but who knows

Inuchance
November 10th, 2004, 07:22 PM
Being gay, I'm inclined to vote for this being legal :lol:

Basically, I look at marriage as a social construct for a couple to announce their love for each other, and for various institutions to respect that (hospital visitation rights, for example). To deny gay marriage would be denying that gays cannot feel love.

I've also never really understood why some people refuse to tell who they voted for (not that anyone here did, AFAIK, you all seem to have voted and now are defending your votes, which is a good thing.) If you aren't prepared to defend your vote, then why are you voting? :confused:

Dare
November 10th, 2004, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by A-non-a-mus
Now, I can really go on with a long post explaining in detail how this is utterly false... if anything whites are way below the spectrum...

all-in-all: nobody cares if someone's racial to a white person... especially if you're on the poor side

yet if their black: oh no, you better not even yell at them

:grrr:

I'm hoping that this is mainly due to where I live... but who knows

Ugh, I know exactly what you mean. I mean, someone can call a white person a "cracker" and chances are no one will care. But ye gods forbid you call a black person the "N" word.

Where'd the term "cracker" come from anyway?
:confused:

unregistered user
November 10th, 2004, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Wicked
Ugh, I know exactly what you mean. I mean, someone can call a white person a "cracker" and chances are no one will care. But ye gods forbid you call a black person the "N" word.

The reason why the African American people get mad because well... they take it as being 'ignorant'. But, if someone from the same race says that, normally, it's a sign of greetings. If someone calls me 'cracker' no matter whom the person is, it doesn't bother me, because I know they are not saying it out of hate, just as a funny commentary or what have you. My best friend is black, he calls me 'cracker' and I call him 'N', but we both know it's all just funnies and not racial slur. Even, if somebody hates me racially, I wouldn't care, because that shows that I'm not that way, and they are lower than me, for feeling that way. Anyways, We Are One, if we can't accept that, we're fudged. XD

Lion King Stu
November 10th, 2004, 09:49 PM
i say they should be legal its a human right no matter wat sex they choose to love

nafklt
November 11th, 2004, 08:02 AM
WHat if Bush was gay? Would he still forbid it?:confused:

Xinithian
November 11th, 2004, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Sonique21837?
The reason why the African American people get mad because well... they take it as being 'ignorant'. But, if someone from the same race says that, normally, it's a sign of greetings. If someone calls me 'cracker' no matter whom the person is, it doesn't bother me, because I know they are not saying it out of hate, just as a funny commentary or what have you. My best friend is black, he calls me 'cracker' and I call him 'N', but we both know it's all just funnies and not racial slur. Even, if somebody hates me racially, I wouldn't care, because that shows that I'm not that way, and they are lower than me, for feeling that way. Anyways, We Are One, if we can't accept that, we're fudged. XD Also there's a difference between "deleted", which is more of a gangster-indicating term, and then "deleted" which is the racial slur.

unregistered user
November 12th, 2004, 07:03 AM
Now, I'm straight, but that's how I was born. I didn't choose to be straight, I just am. Gays and lesbians, same deal. They were born that way. They didn't make a choice.

I support gay and lesbian marriage.

Marriage is defined in the dictionary as a spirtual bond between a man and a woman, but marriage has another meaning: to connect by way of love.

If two people love each other, through and through, then I have nothing against marriage.

Mabatu
November 12th, 2004, 02:22 PM
I must admit i'm not entirely comfortable with the thought of gay people being able to marry, BUT, i do think gay marriages should be legal because gay people should have every right to express love in the same way that everybody else can, and partners should be considered family in hospital situations etc. I don't think it's fair to discriminate against them, because i believe that your sexuality is something that is genetic and so it cannot be helped.

However, the genetic makeup of a person is not all that effects what they will be like. The phenotype of a person is the result of both genetic makeup AND effects of environment...

Society no doubt does have an effect on how one chooses to deal with their true feelings. In the past, homosexuals have been outrightly treated as lessers beings, 'freaks' (look at what Hitler was doing), and so there were rarely any people who were openly gay, because it was so unaccepted.

But now, most people don't care if someone is gay, so today you constantly come across people who are obviously gay. Does this mean that gay people have always been rather common but have just hidden their true feelings, or that modern society is encouraging homosexual behaviour?

I don't know that answer to this, but i think the reason that i'm uncomfortable with the thought of gay marriages is simply because i've grown up in an environment where homosexuality is simply not accepted - i used to spend a lot of time with my grandparents, who, being old fashioned, are completely against homosexuals. But, i am not at all against gay people, and i'm not against gay marriages either. All i'm saying is it just doesn't feel right - but for no logical reason.

lionloversam
July 10th, 2005, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Muruwa
I'm not afraid to say I voted illegal. I don't mind that people are gay, but when they start to go as far as marriage, I have to put my foot down somewhere.

I too voted illegal. I hate the lifestyle, but NOT the person in the lifestyle.

Sombolia
July 10th, 2005, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by The Sonic God
Now, I'm straight, but that's how I was born. I didn't choose to be straight, I just am. Gays and lesbians, same deal. They were born that way. They didn't make a choice.

Marriage is defined in the dictionary as a spirtual bond between a man and a woman, but marriage has another meaning: to connect by way of love.

If two people love each other, through and through, then I have nothing against marriage.

Couldn't have said it better myself. :ayecapn:

I voted for legal.

Dare
July 10th, 2005, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by lionloversam
I too voted illegal. I hate the lifestyle, but NOT the person in the lifestyle.

Hate is a very strong word.
Just out of curiousity, what do you consider to be the "lifestyle"? Like...what constitutes that lifestyle? *stereotype warning*
Parading around with pink triangle and rainbows or something?

la_reina
July 10th, 2005, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by The Sonic God

Now that's true, though I'm heterosexual.

EDIT: I'm not saying I'd support it though, since my religion prohibits it completely, but I'm not going to rally against it or anything like that.

lionloversam
July 10th, 2005, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Wicked
Hate is a very strong word.
Just out of curiousity, what do you consider to be the "lifestyle"? Like...what constitutes that lifestyle? *stereotype warning*
Parading around with pink triangle and rainbows or something?

To put it lightly, engaging in relations with somebody of the same gender like a married, straight couple would have.

2 Die FR
July 10th, 2005, 10:56 PM
Marriage is between a man and a woman. That is all I will say.

Suki
July 10th, 2005, 11:00 PM
To quote (with an edit):

omg omg what do u think of teh g@y omfg i need 2 no now n00b r0xor sux0r wtf tr?s important!!one!!!11

:p

la_reina
July 10th, 2005, 11:06 PM
lol...you okay, Suki? :confused:

unregistered user
July 10th, 2005, 11:44 PM
Suki has left the building :lol:

My viewpoint is similar to la_reina. Though I'm not entirely sure whether I voted for or against when I originally voted.

However if I were to vote again I'd probably say against.

Before anyone rips my head off, let me explain myself?

I have many gay/lesbian/bi friends. And if they asked me, I would attend their wedding out of friendship.

Though my religion tells me that same sex relationships are wrong, it also tells me to show love towards all, and I intend to do nothing but that. I however do not condone homosexual relationships. Firs tthing I told me friends when they told me they were gay/lesbian/bi was that I believe that it was a sin, and I hoped they'd change their mind. (Don't start with me on the whole 'it's not a choice' thing seriously 9_9 )

Anyway, that is my standpoint on this whole thing =P

Okay, now you can commence with the ripping off of the heads and stuff.

Suki
July 10th, 2005, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by Ravoc

:p XD I was just quoting the Supreme one.... :idiot:

2 Die FR
July 10th, 2005, 11:49 PM
I'm not ripping off your head Ravoc. ;)
In my way of thinking, you can dislike the act but not dislike the person, I think someone in this thread already said that. My religion also says gay marriage is wrong, and I myself believe it should be illegal. But that doesn't mean I would point fingers at a gay couple and say "I hate you." It does no good to do that, only hurt. This is a very heated issue, and I know that there are those who are for it or don't mind either way. I'm not going to try to change anybody- it is what I believe and if that were enough to change a person's mind, that's fine with me.

unregistered user
July 10th, 2005, 11:56 PM
I cant say i really "care" about it but I think everyone should have the chance to get married if they love each other...call me softie :P

la_reina
July 11th, 2005, 01:24 AM

My viewpoint is similar to la_reina. Though I'm not entirely sure whether I voted for or against when I originally voted.

However if I were to vote again I'd probably say against.

Before anyone rips my head off, let me explain myself?

I have many gay/lesbian/bi friends. And if they asked me, I would attend their wedding out of friendship.

Though my religion tells me that same sex relationships are wrong, it also tells me to show love towards all, and I intend to do nothing but that. I however do not condone homosexual relationships. Firs tthing I told me friends when they told me they were gay/lesbian/bi was that I believe that it was a sin, and I hoped they'd change their mind. (Don't start with me on the whole 'it's not a choice' thing seriously 9_9 )

Anyway, that is my standpoint on this whole thing =P

Okay, now you can commence with the ripping off of the heads and stuff.

Here, here, Ravoc ;) Your head's staying on your shoulders.

I've never really met anyone who's gay/lesbian/bi, but if I did, I wouldn't stop talking to them or being their friend or anything like that, especially if they've been
a really good friend to me. A friend's a friend, you know?

W-Eyed-Wanderer
July 11th, 2005, 01:43 AM
Well my best friend's gay but obviously that gives me no more right to an opinion than anyone else...

I just believe that gay couples should be allowed the same rights that married heterosexual couples have, if they choose to make that commitment. It doesn't have to be a big religious ceremony, as long as they are allowed the chances that many heterosexual couples take for granted, such as joint ownership of a house or mortgage etc.

I'm not going to think less of people that are against 'gay marriage' but I do ask them to consider why they are actually against it...if it's just because their religion says so then do you follow every other letter of your religious rules? I would be willing to bet that quite a few people only take the rules that suit them and so I hope they can reconsider this stance on a simple legal complication that would allow gay people the same rights as straight people.

That is all, please don't think I am insulting religion as I am a firm supporter of it...I just want people to take a step back and consider why they are so against a few legal precedings taking place to allow homosexual couples some basic human rights.

unregistered user
July 11th, 2005, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by 2 Die FR
Marriage is between a man and a woman. That is all I will say.

I agree there's no crime in being gay, but marriage is a ceremony that involves a man and a women. I'm not against it because of any religous belifes, I just belive that marriage is between a man and a woman.

Juniper
July 11th, 2005, 03:54 AM
Oh yay, I'm so glad this lovely thread is back. </sarcasm>

Love is universal, doesn't matter what language you speak or what country you belong to. Love is what keeps the human race alive; without it we'd have blown ourselves up by now. Marriage is the epitome of love, binding and absolute. Why, therefore, should we exclude any human being from sharing that experience with their significant other? What message does it send? You are not worth being married, you are not human. Christianity does not own marriage, no religion does. It's a shared aspect of almost every society, religious or not; it is part of us, we are creatures of single, life-long mates (Yes, we marriages and relationships do fail, and yes some societies practice polygamy, but you get my point). If we start picking eachother apart, allowing certain people certain aspects of life but denying it to others, we've denied everything that love and compassion stands for; we are, like I said, no longer human.

Xinithian
July 11th, 2005, 03:55 AM
If marriage is such a religious thing, and strictly between a man and woman, then how come nobody cares if Athiests get married?

Juniper
July 11th, 2005, 04:11 AM
Because religion is a scapegoat for an unrelenting and unjustified dislike, discrimination, or even hate that people have for the lifestyle and perhaps the people in the lifestyle.

2 Die FR
July 11th, 2005, 05:07 AM
Because religion is a scapegoat for an unrelenting and unjustified dislike, discrimination, or even hate that people have for the lifestyle and perhaps the people in the lifestyle.
Not always, but when religion does that, it's really sad.

Sudi
July 11th, 2005, 05:33 AM
It really doesn't matter to me if homosexuals get married. If two people love each other why cant they get married? Its their choice to do so not society to say that its wrong. I my self think its a little different and whatever but its their choice. Thats all i got to say

Sharifu
July 11th, 2005, 05:46 AM
Originally posted by W-Eyed-Wanderer
I just believe that gay couples should be allowed the same rights that married heterosexual couples have, if they choose to make that commitment. It doesn't have to be a big religious ceremony, as long as they are allowed the chances that many heterosexual couples take for granted, such as joint ownership of a house or mortgage etc.

I agree with that... That was pretty much my point of the first post I made in this topic a long time ago.

Firs tthing I told me friends when they told me they were gay/lesbian/bi was that I believe that it was a sin, and I hoped they'd change their mind. (Don't start with me on the whole 'it's not a choice' thing seriously 9_9 )

Some of you seriously think that gay/lesbian/bi choose to be that way? That doesn't even make sense to me. As I stated a long time ago in this topic, why would people choose to be that way when they have a such hard time being excepted? (I mean of course it's not as bad as it was a long time ago, but still it's not totally accepted, obviously) I don't think homosexuals should force themselves to be with the opposite sex. That would just make them unhappy. That'd be like straight people being forced to be with the same sex. (Try to picture it that way if you are straight and are against the whole thing)

Juniper
July 11th, 2005, 05:52 AM
Kinda funny how people who say it's a choice aren't homosexual and the people who say it isn't a choice are the actual people experiencing it. Because we all know that some guy at an alter knows more about me than... myself

Do straight people choose to like the opposite sex only? According to that mentality, they could just as easily decide to like the opposite sex. :lol: Right.

Yup, I tell ya, I just woke up this one morning and I was like "Ya know, today's a good day to start being bisexual". It's kinda like an roller coaster, I just up and decide every so often to change my sexuality. I also decided to breathe water yesterday and tomorrow I think I'm gonna go flying. Without a plane.

Sharifu
July 11th, 2005, 09:26 AM
Well I am straight, but still I don't understand how people could choose to be gay, because of what I said before. I just don't really think that's possible. They have such a hard time being excepted already, so why would they choose that if it was a choice? That's why I think that way.

nathalie
July 11th, 2005, 09:28 AM
I don't know, if it's a choice or something "you get born with".

But if a man and a woman love each other and get married, then why can't they?

I got totally no problems with it.

Nephilim
July 11th, 2005, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by Suki
To quote (with an edit):

omg omg what do u think of teh g@y omfg i need 2 no now n00b r0xor sux0r wtf tr?s important!!one!!!11

:lol: Who invited Ruska into this thread?

Juniper
July 11th, 2005, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Sharifu
Well I am straight, but still I don't understand how people could choose to be gay, because of what I said before. I just don't really think that's possible. They have such a hard time being excepted already, so why would they choose that if it was a choice? That's why I think that way.

Two possibilities:

People of alternate sexualities inherently enjoy social and mental masochism

-OR-

We're all just really really stupid and don't get that they're laughing at us, not with us.

The whole debate about whether it's a choice or not reminds me of the last time I called DirectTV about a problem.

"Sir, if you turn off the system, wait for 15 seconds, and turn it back on, you'll get the setup screen."

"Ok... but it didn't turn back on"

"Yes it did, sir"

"No, it didn't"

"Sir, do you see a green light on the power button"

"No"

"It should be there if it's on"

"It's not on, that's what I'm trying to tell you"

"Yes it is, sir"

"No, it's not"

"Turn it off and wait 15 seconds, sir"

"No, you don't understand me, it's already off... it never turned on before"

"Did you turn it off, wait 15 seconds, and turn it back on?"

"I tried, but it didn't turn back on"

"Then it's on, sir"

"NO, it's NOT. I'm not an idiot, I can recognize a green light!"

"Sir, if you're not going to cooperate, I'm going to have to move on to another customer" *Click*

Basically, straight people are telling gay/lesbian/bi people that they made a choice to be that way even though the people in question keep telling them that they didn't. That convo with the tech support was about my system being on when I was sitting there looking at the DirectTV receiver being off (those weren't the actual words said, it was a while ago, but it's very similar). That's the frustration we feel every time someone tells us we made a choice. You can argue for hours about it, knowing that it's not a choice because you've experienced it, but the other side will continue to tell you that it was over and over again.

If anyone is interested, DirectTV sent out a repairman to our house after talking with my grandmother; the power source on the inside of the receiver was damaged before it left the factory, by moving it to turn it off (power cord is behind it), it was enough to make it so it didn't work.

Hanshilo
July 11th, 2005, 04:44 PM
Legal, i don't like hating ppl for who thy are, i can except most ppl, and i say no more.:cheese:

Bagheera
July 11th, 2005, 05:06 PM
I think that it should be legal.

Tabbiefox
July 11th, 2005, 06:14 PM
I really don't understand how can anyone be against this, saying it's against the nature, disgusting, etc.. an argument you can hear from everywhere, as it's really their own problem. Besides, if two ppl love each other, there is nothing to deal with.. :P

Anyway, I know of cases when being gay *IS* a choice, or a so called alternative if you want.. I know ppl who were so much demotivated from straight love (e.g. from oversensitivity, hurting way too much, etc..), tha they eventually turned gay. It depends on circumstances. Also, a person who was somehow traumatized in his childhood can turn gay later on. So in other words, it's not always something you are born with.

Not to mention that approximately 80% of women have at least tiny homosexual tendencies deep inside of them, or so I've heared some time ago. The same source claims the number of men is equal, only with the difference women are much more opened among each other when it comes to these things.. So what do you say? Bogus? :D

klowd
July 11th, 2005, 06:15 PM
Here in Spain is legalized since the last week. For me this always have been a battle. Religion vs Development and progress of the human race.. ( My opinion.)

Lweek
July 11th, 2005, 08:05 PM
Oh yay, I'm so glad this lovely thread is back. </sarcasm>

Love is universal, doesn't matter what language you speak or what country you belong to. Love is what keeps the human race alive; without it we'd have blown ourselves up by now. Marriage is the epitome of love, binding and absolute. Why, therefore, should we exclude any human being from sharing that experience with their significant other? What message does it send? You are not worth being married, you are not human. Christianity does not own marriage, no religion does. It's a shared aspect of almost every society, religious or not; it is part of us, we are creatures of single, life-long mates (Yes, we marriages and relationships do fail, and yes some societies practice polygamy, but you get my point). If we start picking eachother apart, allowing certain people certain aspects of life but denying it to others, we've denied everything that love and compassion stands for; we are, like I said, no longer human.

I agree with it, but only one small update .. human is not really single paired. It's few years ago when scientist decoded part of genome which says that we are polygam creatures. Actualy it's thanks to our animal roots, when we lived similiar as lions, in prides with a dominant male who cared about many females.
There are also many situations which it's support this. Even if it's doesn't look like. For example: If something happend to our partner and we become single, we usualy find new partner. We also daily like to 'looking' to another girls/boys and just thinking how they can look down there .. etc. Real single paired animals are for example orcas. They cannot live without each other, partner usualy die few days after partner death.

Xinithian
July 11th, 2005, 09:11 PM
Even if homosexuality was a choice for some people, why shouldn't they be able to choose that?

W-Eyed-Wanderer
July 12th, 2005, 12:52 AM
Being homosexual isn't a choice, that is an extremely narrow-minded viewpoint usually held by people who have no close contact with gay people...and no, I don't mean like 'that' so stop sniggering at the back!

It's like saying people choose to be blind just so they can get a white stick and a free dog...

SIMBAtheENIGMA
July 12th, 2005, 01:19 PM

Well said!:bleen:

Leagal

Xinithian
July 12th, 2005, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by SimbaTheLion
I get enough rubbish from people at school about gays, and, seeing that a poll a while ago found that over 80% of the furry community is bi/gay, I would be hoping a lot of people here would support gays and gay marriage. 76.47% is over three-quarters. That means that out of every twenty-five people, over nineteen are for gay marriage. If only that was the way it was in the US.

Also, I haven't seen a single valid argument against gay marriage/civil unions.