PDA

View Full Version : What happened?

s-tlk
April 24th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Hi,
perhaps this was mentioned somewhere, so I'm sorry if it was, but I've to ask anyway: What happened to the old Lea? The domain seems to be gone and the forum with it. I'm not so much up to date with forum politics, because I mostly visit only the tlk section every now and then, but nevertheless now I'm curious about what has happened to the 'old' Lea, although this was actually the first fork of the original forum.
I'm refering to this thread: http://www.leahalalela.net/showthread.php?13-New-era-new-approach I would have ask about the background story there, but I'm not allowed to post, so I created this new thread. Maybe some other members are as much confused as I am about it. ;-)

Are you planing to port the old posts back to the new forum? Imho the old posts are very important to a forum. They contain the soul and spirit, as well as the history and it would be hard to loose them. Not to mention all the interessting stuff. :-)

Sombolia
April 24th, 2011, 11:24 AM
The domain expired, and the guy that was in charge of the domain disappeared. He was somewhat of a scammer and didn't really seem to care about the forum at all, so we decided to start fresh without him. STM pretty much built this new forum from the ground up.

As far as I know, there's no way to import our old posts. :/ Sucks.

s-tlk
April 24th, 2011, 11:38 AM
Ah I see. Thank you for the explanation.
Yeah, its really important to have a person you can trust running the forum. Its looking good so far and hopefully this will be the last relocation.

I think it is possible to import the old forum as long as the google cache stores the threads. Then you only need a little perl magic to feed the data direct into the database.

Guntur
April 24th, 2011, 02:35 PM
Yeah, he doesn't give a damn or a good job on the old one. We do a decent job right now and we also better off without him. >.>

Sadiki
April 24th, 2011, 06:19 PM
Yeah I do think it's better this way. For the first time Lea is ran by people who actually care. First Lea Mufasa did care at first, but then he started to care less and less eventually corrupting the database when updating his version of Vbulletin without backing up database. What comes to last Lea it was build by a guy who didn't really care of the forum but how much money it was making him. He did let the license expire every year and now we can't even get hold of him to renew it. Personally thought I do think it's way better that we are now standing on member owned server, with member owned Vbulletin and with group that been part of Lea for 6 years or over.

If Lea would be going down thought we do make sure that we do have backup of the forum that will be made regular bases and most likely will have multiple copies as well. But yeah hopefully we don't have to move again. I think twice is enough, but at least it shows how much people do care about the place. Most forums would just stop existing all together.

Guntur
April 24th, 2011, 06:50 PM
I think it's better for those who are really still interested on the forum (with the valuable content and members but without expecting any profits).

shadowland
May 14th, 2011, 11:23 PM
Is this why my login and presence on here literally vanished?

HasiraKali
May 14th, 2011, 11:25 PM
Edited because I'm a dumb.

Guntur
May 14th, 2011, 11:57 PM
I have requested to delete your account here Shadowland. :p
Actually, things just overhauled and we have our rightful owner to take it over. ;)

Azerane
May 15th, 2011, 03:42 AM
Is this why my login and presence on here literally vanished?

Yes that's why. Everything was lost, accounts, posts, threads etc. The Lea you see today was literally built from scratch. So everyone has had to re-register etc :)

shadowland
May 15th, 2011, 01:10 PM
I have requested to delete your account here Shadowland. :p
Actually, things just overhauled and we have our rightful owner to take it over. ;)

Wtf, why? o.O

Guntur
May 15th, 2011, 01:29 PM
I'm just making a good joke and poking a joke on you. :p

Don't worry, we're just registering the old domain and use our own server and have our rightful owner again. =)

shadowland
May 15th, 2011, 04:22 PM
Not funny lol :lol:

Guntur
May 15th, 2011, 04:27 PM
:lol: sorry for offending you there friend. It just a harmless jokes by me [that most users are aware of me].

I do think that you are understand the situation that we have take over the site again!

shadowland
May 15th, 2011, 04:54 PM
Nooo dw, I found it funny x] and yes yes I understand :p