PDA

View Full Version : The Lion King Forgotten lines

Azerane
June 24th, 2014, 01:15 PM
Time for some good old TLK discussion :D

I'm wondering, why when James Earl Jones forgot his line "brother" and they covered the cue with claw scraping, why they couldn't just record the line again and put it in the movie, rather than put it in with an error? Surely it wouldn't have been too hard to cut and paste in a bit of audio, or was it that they thought they could get away with it and didn't see a need to redo it?

It just seems odd to me. Thoughts?

nathalie
June 24th, 2014, 04:29 PM
Hmm, I'm not sure what this is about, haha, I always tend to hear him say "brother" ? o_O lol

cleargreenwater
June 24th, 2014, 04:47 PM
Hmm, I'm not sure what this is about, haha, I always tend to hear him say "brother" ? o_O lol

Yeah, I could swear he does say "Brother", too. I always hear it somehow! :o

Kirauni
June 24th, 2014, 04:52 PM
I think so, too. And in the German version he also says "Bruder" which is a translation. So why should he say something different?

Kossu
June 24th, 2014, 04:56 PM
I always thought I heard brother there as well :O

And in the greek version(the one I watched as a kid) he definately says brother...but ehm,that's a different thing.

Uhm,this is about the stampede scene,right?In case I got it all wrong...

Leorgathar
June 24th, 2014, 04:59 PM
Hmm I don't think I've heard about that before. I've always heard him saying "brother" clearly at that scene. Which version was that in?

It might not be related at all, but in the Mexican Spanish dub of the TLK Special Edition DVD, Rafiki doesn't say "Simba" when he's painting him in the tree, while in both past versions and newer versions he does. I'm not sure why that is :go-on:

Vidan
June 24th, 2014, 05:29 PM
I think we're talking about the pause in the dialogue, as in: "Scar ... brother, help me." The "mistake" is apparently that we hear the word "brother" twice, even though I don't recall that since I only watched the movie once before 2004; maybe that was in the original English theatrical release or VHS? As for why they might have opted not to do a pickup session -- maybe they decided they liked the resultant hesitation? As if Mufasa doesn't really want to refer to Scar as his brother but, after a pause, thinks that he ought to?

Kirauni
June 24th, 2014, 06:06 PM
Ah, now I see. You think the word "brother" is there twice? But how could James Earl Jones forget the text? I thought they used some notes or am I mistaken?

But now you mention it, I remember wondering why I heard "brother" twice. And I thought I was just mistaken. I didn't know there was a story behind it :) thanks for sharing!

Azerane
June 25th, 2014, 12:38 AM
I think we're talking about the pause in the dialogue, as in: "Scar ... brother, help me." The "mistake" is apparently that we hear the word "brother" twice, even though I don't recall that since I only watched the movie once before 2004; maybe that was in the original English theatrical release or VHS? As for why they might have opted not to do a pickup session -- maybe they decided they liked the resultant hesitation? As if Mufasa doesn't really want to refer to Scar as his brother but, after a pause, thinks that he ought to?

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. Vidan pretty much has it covered. Yes, in the stampeded scene. His line was "Scar, brother, help me!" but he said "Scar..." forgot what was next, someone cued him with the word "brother" which you can hear behind the claw scraping sound when Mufasa slips down the cliff a little, and then he comes back in with "...brother, help me"

As far as I'm aware, they still have to learn their lines by heart so that it comes more naturally, you can tell when someone's reading off paper.

You can hear it in the first four seconds of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kavwIVz0WRw

Vidan
June 25th, 2014, 01:41 AM
Not to contradict myself or especially Azerane, but I put the word mistake in quotes because when I looked up trivia on Google several (http://www.moviemistakes.com/film747/corrections)sources (http://www.funtrivia.com/en/Movies/The-Lion-King-1994-12398.html)pointed out the second "brother', yet, listening to it, it seems subtle enough not to be noticeable unless someone were to point it out. Are we sure it was really a mistake?

It sounds plausible that they had to memorize their lines before reading since it was a big-budget film, but I think plenty of VO sessions do just involve reading off a script, though they certainly would allow for multiple takes (and later pickup sessions if there were errors in the recording or the performance).

Azerane
June 25th, 2014, 01:57 AM
That's what I don't get. I figured that maybe they just left it in because they thought people wouldn't notice it. But I have been for years and it drives me crazy :lol: Having said that, why would they put it in on purpose?

Otherwise, there was no reason not to record the line again in my opinion.

cleargreenwater
June 25th, 2014, 02:54 AM
Huh. I always thought that was a just a very dramatic "trying to stay alive" grunt while struggling. I never knew it was masking something!

Kind of glad I still don't really hear it though, I was stupidly nervous about watching the link in case I couldn't un-hear it after this :lol:

Simbaspirit
June 27th, 2014, 04:40 PM
Ever since I first heard it about a decade ago, I've never been able to unhear it :P

This Land
June 27th, 2014, 05:14 PM
I never thought this was a mistake at all

My assumption was Mufasa yelled "Scar" and it was infact Scar who replied with that faint "Brother" as in to make a point that he is his brother...an heir to the throne, its like like scar is asking for some family respect and recognition after being ignored all this time because he is not the king and now he is Mufasa's only way out to survive. Out of desperation Mufasa then calls him "Brother", because listening to all the dialog of the film up until that that moment, Mufasa never once calls him brother.

If you hear closely that faint "brother" does sound a lot like Scar.

ThiagoPE
June 29th, 2014, 09:58 AM
Hmm I don't think I've heard about that before. I've always heard him saying "brother" clearly at that scene. Which version was that in?

It might not be related at all, but in the Mexican Spanish dub of the TLK Special Edition DVD, Rafiki doesn't say "Simba" when he's painting him in the tree, while in both past versions and newer versions he does. I'm not sure why that is :go-on:

In each release, Disney messed with the dubs, making changes in it, cutting lines, adding others, and also changing some sound effects.
In Brazilian Portuguese dub, there is a "classical" in the Simba little roar scene, as the original VHS used the original roar (a lion roar) but the DVD had a complete different roar, looking like more a little cat (it was just funny) in the bluray, they changed back to the original roar.

If I'm right, there is a line in pt-br dub that was simply cutted from VHS to DVD, it's when Rafiki paints Simba in the three, when he it's painting, he says "the new future king is born, or beloved young Simba" this line doesn't exist in English version if I'm right. And so, it were cut in DVD, making who are watching the movie for the first time only knows the cub name much forward (as in our version, Rafiki doesn't say Simba after painting his head)

I really wanted to understand why Disney do such things...

Enviado de meu GT-S7273T usando Tapatalk

nathalie
June 29th, 2014, 10:13 AM
Many dubs used the original ending of the song "Hakuna Matata" where all 3 sing the line a few times, aswell as Timon & Pumbaa's crying at the end of "Can you feel the love tonight".

I do know the Dutch dub, actually did their own singing and crying, lol.

They had to mess around with the Dutch dub aswell, because Mufasa's voice sadly passed away before the DVD release in 2003 (for Morning report) :(

KanuTGL
June 29th, 2014, 10:13 AM
Huh, I've actually never recognised this =O I'll have to listen out for it now the next time I watch the film, haha.