PDA

View Full Version : The Lion Guard (2015)

Pages : [1] 2

KanuTGL
June 10th, 2014, 06:54 AM
Guys. GUYS.

Disney Junior Plans Preschool Series Based on ‘The Lion King’
http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2014/06/09/disney-junior-plans-preschool-animated-series-based-on-the-lion-king/

:curious: 8O :wow:

Who's excited? I'm excited. :o

s-tlk
June 10th, 2014, 07:11 AM
Ah there is already a thead about it. I read it on twitter and was wondering if TLK meets the Avengers can work. At least there is something new and it is a valid point indeed that Disney hasn't released anything really new about TLK, although it is one of their most successful movies. I suppose the series couldn't be worse than "Timon and Pumbaa".

Azerane
June 10th, 2014, 07:11 AM
Didn't think I would be as excited as I am after reading that article! :D And new toys!! Oh gosh, it's a frugal person's worst nightmare!

Just one thing... does Kion really have to have a pawprint mark on his shoulder? :headache:

Also, so Kiara just like... doesn't exist? :p

s-tlk
June 10th, 2014, 07:24 AM
Maybe it's playing after SP and Simba has another cub, or what is now very up-to-date is to take old series/movies and create alternative time lines...
But I think we should wait for a while until some new information are released, because usually this early the data it is not very reliable. And who knows, perhaps they have a logical explanation for it, which will be during the series revealed. Although I fear that it is something only for entertaining younger kids.

Zingela
June 10th, 2014, 07:52 AM
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if SP was ignored entirely (expecting that, actually), let alone the writers bothering to explain anything with the new cub.
Quick offhand impressions:
Pawprint tattoo? :\
"Kion" seems like an odd name. "Kio" in Swahili means "mirror" in the context of being identical/copy of something, but maybe I am reaching here (probably yes).
Will still buy a plushie. I am addicted. Help.

This Land
June 10th, 2014, 08:23 AM
Kanu beat me to this thread, haha xD

Out of all the people to tell me about this first, was a good friend I know who has no interest in the lion king xD

I'm very looking forward to this 8D

About "Kion". Since it's directed to pre-school audience I'm going with the idea it's just Lion but just with a "k" xP Something that children can relate to easily =3

maybe the paw print is a birthmark .? Again in real life the chances of that are very slim, but it's pre-school. I don't mean all this in a negative way . I'm very excited to see this when it's done 83

Azerane
June 10th, 2014, 09:35 AM
I know, I know... that fact that it's a preschool series will certainly make for interesting viewing. So interested to see how that maps out.

Yeah, won't be surprised if they ignore SP either.

I also suddenly have a mega urge to get drawing Kion. New official character! Awesome :D

cleargreenwater
June 10th, 2014, 11:41 AM
Also, so Kiara just like... doesn't exist? :p

...YES!!! AHAHAHA YES! >D

Seriously though, omg! Preschool or not!

Guys, just think if there are new other cubs!

And they're redesigning the hyenas too, omgomgomg! Must see what they do there!

Ahhh, awesome x)

Kion... Lion plus Kopa? XP

So now we all know what happened to him...he was taken into a top secret program, given superhero powers, like the ability to erase future events *cough* SP *cough*, and returned with a new code name!

Miss Mandz
June 10th, 2014, 12:03 PM
I am so stinking excited for this. Lion King is being introduced to a new generation!!!! That's amazing.

KanuTGL
June 10th, 2014, 01:14 PM
So now we all know what happened to him...he was taken into a top secret program, given superhero powers, like the ability to erase future events *cough* SP *cough*, and returned with a new code name!
Hahaha! :lol: I'm very curious about what they're gonna do with the canon though. I'm not a big fan of alternate storylines...

Also, I'm so happy that this is being made in freaking 2D!! :o They could've gone for sucky 3D along the lines of Sofia the First, but they didn't! Wheee! On top of that, those screenshots do look pretty close to the style of the film, which is super awesome. I expect semi-decent puppet-style Flash animation regardless, but still xP

And the premise of the show sounds just like the TLK cartoon I wanted as a kid too, so I really can't wait to see what becomes of this. Soo excited xD

Kion plushies, here I come, haha!

Guntur
June 10th, 2014, 02:11 PM
Oh wow, I really like this news.

I'm glad they're continuing the legacy of the Lion King through pre school series. alternate storyline or not, I'm very excited.

http://media.tumblr.com/c6d1bc6d13302364a4fd8dff0187946f/tumblr_inline_n5g6hjYM171qa43er.gif

Miss Mandz
June 10th, 2014, 02:43 PM
I've been thinking about possible plot line, and this is what has struck me: Kiara and Kovu are in line for the throne whenever Simba chooses to stand down. But this leaves Kion, Simba's youngest, without a title... and Simba with the fear that Kion may follow the same path of jealousy that Scar once took. So wise old Rafiki makes a suggestion -- give Kion something to do! Something to make him feel just as important. But never did Simba imagine that the Lion Guard game he created for his son would actually become real, when Kion actually manages to save them all. And that would be the contents of that first full length movie.

Perhaps wishful thinking, but I feel like that's the best way to tie all the canon together? Unless they do decide to ignore TLK2...

Nit
June 10th, 2014, 04:08 PM
TLK2 characters WILL be included! :D

The show will follow Kion, the second-born son of Simba and Nala.
(...)
Mufasa, Timon, Pumbaa, Rafiki, Zazu and Kion’s older sister Kiara will all make appearances, but the show will focus on the creatures of the Lion Guard, a series of new characters including a honey badger, a cheetah, a hippo, and an egret.
Source: http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/06/10/disney-lion-king-spinoff-lion-guard

nathalie
June 10th, 2014, 04:18 PM
I can only imagine what it would look like ... *blah*

I hope they make something decent out of it, but it'll probably look like all sequels look, lol.

*I'll let myself be surprised* haha

Nit
June 10th, 2014, 04:37 PM
I've found a better source... the best source - press release from Disney Channel:

Disney Begins Production on "The Lion Guard," an Animated Disney Junior TV Movie and Series Inspired by "The Lion King"

DISNEY BEGINS PRODUCTION ON "THE LION GUARD," AN ANIMATED

DISNEY JUNIOR TV MOVIE AND SERIES INSPIRED BY "THE LION KING"

Disney Television Animation has begun production on "The Lion Guard," an animated television movie and series that continues the story introduced 20 years ago in the acclaimed Disney animated film "The Lion King." Geared towards kids age 2-7 and their families, "The Lion Guard" television movie will premiere in Fall 2015, and the subsequent series will debut in early 2016 on Disney Junior and Disney Channel.

The wildlife education experts at Disney's Animal Kingdom theme park will serve as consultants on "The Lion Guard" stories, which will incorporate themes of conservation, family and community while also highlighting problem-solving, creative thinking and diversity. Author and Swahili expert Sarah Mirza is the language and cultural advisor.

Nancy Kanter, Executive Vice President, Original Programming and General Manager, Disney Junior Worldwide, said, "The story of 'The Lion King' has deeply touched families around the world since its original theatrical release 20 years ago. We look forward to introducing a whole new generation of kids to both the Disney legacy characters and to new friends and heroes."

"The Lion Guard" begins as Kion, the second-born cub of Simba and Nala, assumes the role of leader of the Lion Guard, a group of the bravest and brightest tasked with preserving the Pride Lands. Instead of assembling a team of young lions to serve with him, Kion challenges tradition by calling upon friends he believes are the best choices – Bunga, a fearless honey badger; Fuli, a confident cheetah; Beshte, a happy-go-lucky hippo; and Ono, an intellectual egret. Stories will include special appearances by Mufasa, Timon, Pumbaa, Rafiki, Zazu and Kion's older sister, Kiara, the future Queen of the Pride Lands.

"The Lion Guard" movie and series were developed by Ford Riley ("Special Agent Oso"), who also serves as executive producer. Howy Parkins ("Jake and the Never Land Pirates") is director. Christopher Willis ("Mickey Mouse") is the composer.

Originally released in June 1994, the Academy Award-winning animated film "The Lion King" is a Disney story with long-lasting appeal and creative interpretations across multiple Disney businesses.

The lifetime global box office total for "The Lion King" is $987.4 million; its 2011 3D re-release was #1 for its first two weeks; its Grammy Award-winning soundtrack sold over 14 million units; a Tony Award-winning musical, now in its 17th year on Broadway and with 10 productions in eight languages currently running worldwide, has been seen by over 70 million people around the globe and is the highest-grossing Broadway production in history. The North American tour and the Broadway show each surpassed $1 billion in ticket sales while global ticket sales surpassed $5 billion worldwide (from 22 productions). The Lion King is one of the biggest home entertainment titles of all time, and the direct-to-video release of "Lion King 2: Simba's Pride" is one of the best-selling direct-to-video releases of all time. "The Lion King" franchise also includes 85 episodes of the Emmy Award-winning animated television series "The Lion King's Timon and Pumbaa" and popular attractions at Disney Parks and Resorts. Twenty years since the film's release, "The Lion King" also continues to resonate with millions of fans who connect with the enduring story and timeless characters through a wide range of products, including nursery décor, bedding and junior fashion.

Marking the animated film's 20th anniversary, a special edition of the soundtrack exploring the stories behind the songs will be released June 24 as part of Walt Disney Records' Legacy Collection. An electronic dance music version of "Circle of Life," by music producer/composer/DJ Mat Zo, is on the recently released DCONSTRUCTED, a collection of EDM remixes of classic Disney songs.

In its first year reporting public ratings, the 24-hour Disney Junior channel ranked as the #1 preschooler-dedicated TV network in Total Day in Total Viewers, among Kids 2-5, Girls 2-5 and Boys 2-5 and Women 18-49, towering over Nick Jr. by double digits and Sprout by triple digits. Disney Junior, the daily programming block for kids age 2-7 on Disney Channel, is home to the top two telecasts in cable TV history among Kids 2-5, Girls 2-5 and the #2 preschool cable TV telecast ever in Total Viewers, Adults 18-49 and Women 18-49 -- "Sofia the First: The Floating Palace" and "Sofia the First: Once Upon a Princess." The animated series "Sofia the First" ranked as 2013's #1 TV series in Girls 2-5 and cable TV's #2 series in Kids 2-5 and accounted for five of cable TV's Top 10 telecasts of the year in Kids 2-5, and 17 of the Top 20 TV telecasts in Girls 2-5. 2014 to-date, "Sheriff Callie's Wild West," "Mickey Mouse Clubhouse" and "Sofia the First" are the Top 3 series across all preschooler-dedicated TV channels in Total Viewers, Kids 2-5, Boys 2-5 and Women 18-49 (order varies per demo).

Press materials are available at www.disneyjuniormedianet.com

Twitter: twitter.com/DisneyChannelPR @DisneyChannelPR

Instagram:http://instagram.com/disneychannelpr

Source: http://disneychannelmedianet.com/assets/pr%5Chtml/pr67238.html
Two pictures from the press release avaliable in HD resolution at: http://pridelands.eu/hd/folder113.html

Zingela
June 10th, 2014, 06:14 PM
Interesting. Very surprised to see Disney acknowledging their non-feature animation sequels aside from home video re-releases.

Simbaspirit
June 10th, 2014, 06:30 PM
When I found this out this morning I just about lost it with happiness haha :P I'm really looking forward to this! It will be interesting to see how they incorporate Mufasa as a secondary character; I also wonder if they will have any of the original voices.

Sharifu
June 10th, 2014, 06:46 PM
Looks very cute. I think Jake and the Neverland Pirates have a cute animation style too, and I'm glad to see this show will be animated that way, in 2D. I wish I could get a job working on this show. :p Seriously, I am feeling like the only animation jobs out there are for 3D and I am just not enjoying working on Maya. (A computer modeling and animation program) But it is animated for preschoolers, if you ever watched that Jake and the Neverland Pirates, (I've watched a quite few Disney Junior shows when my nephew was living with us) the characters would ask questions out to the audience of kids, like "Where is it?" "How many doubloons are there? Count with us!" And they start counting. So it might be like that.

But maybe not, I don't know. Doc McStuffins and Sofia the First aren't like that. (At least I don't remember them being like that) But the story lines are super simple and such. Still, excited to watch this for the cute art animation style and to see more of TLK universe. A brother for Kiara huh? So I wonder, how is Kiara is going to be included, is she going to be a cub or an adult? :lol: Just because she was an adult at the end of Simba's Pride... I thought maybe Kiara wasn't going to in the show, but it has been confirmed that she will be from the Disney articles that people quoted.

KanuTGL
June 10th, 2014, 08:41 PM
Awesome!

I think they kind of had to recognise the sequel, since there is a lot of Kiara-and-Kovu merchandise out there (I really think there is no comparison to any other Disney sequels in terms of how much merch SP has) and they're pretty well-established characters. And Kiara is the "future Queen of the Pride Lands". No mention of Kovu becoming king. Huzzah! I like where this is going so far :D

Also, a honey badger character! How cool is that?

ThiagoPE
June 10th, 2014, 09:13 PM
Being a preschool serie, i don´t think we will see great stories and animation, but i really hope that i´m wrong....

Konga
June 10th, 2014, 09:52 PM
Gaahh, guys! I'm so excited, too! Although I have some reservations with this, i'm glad that our beloved TLK will be exposed to the new youth of our world. It might just actually give some new hope for them. Tehe. I just revel in the thought of enjoying it with my own children a few years from now.. :aww:

Still, as you guys had mentioned - the paw print birthmark, really? Let's not get too cheesy here, Disney. It's been nearly 16 years since they've created a serious addition to the franchise (referring to TLK 2 here, as I sometimes refuse to regard TLK 1.5 as true canon), so I believe we deserve a lot of effort put into this! I'll admit, while it may sound unoriginal, the name "Kion," is kind of cute, in my opinion. But what about Kopa? Did the TLK6NA stories never actually happen? I wish they could have acknowledged that long-living loophole before introducing a new, random character - who, we can't deny, is another Simba - clone. The back - flowing mane tuft is approved of on my end, since that trait could have been inherited by Scar. Still, Disney forgot one thing..again: Nala! This little guy looks nothing like her. Could it have killed them to color his eyes blue, or green? Or we could even take another leap forward and change his mane color to something more..I don't know, original? I'm sorry to be so critical, I just can't help it.. *giggles*

It would be awesome if we as devoted TLK fans could petition some alterations to this series, since it is apparently still in development. As the user "Werebereus" suggested on Deviantart, perhaps many TLK fan artists could submit their more, "thoughtful" versions of Simba's new son, so that maybe the company could choose a more suitable character that makes all fans happy, young and old. :idea:

Buut, it might be just a pipe - dream. Regardless, this is wonderful news that's worthy of celebration! :wow:

s-tlk
June 10th, 2014, 10:05 PM
I still think this has a lot of potential, for instance we can have the same story line as in the 6NA and this would also bring Mufasa on stage in an acceptable way as in a story told by Simba to Kop... I mean Kion. But I fear this goes more into a childish direction and don't forget TLK was made for the age 8+ and this series is settled for kids younger than that. So, I assume it will be about solving little daily problems and bring environmental conservation, tolerance etc. closer to the audience. Seriously, what kind of problems should this group solve, which couldn't be done by Simba and Nala?

The musical background is also of particular interest for me. I'm really wondering how it will be, hopefully similar to TLK of course, but they have a composer who comes from a completely different field (Mickey Mouse).

Azerane
June 11th, 2014, 12:24 AM
Holy moly, Brian even updated the bulletin on the front page of the fan-art archive! Definitely big news indeed :lol: Also, it's looks like I'm already super far behind with Kion fan-art. I didn't think it would catch on so quick, I'm already behind! :p

I'm very excited to hear that there'll be some cool animal characters, a honey badger sounds like fun.

cleargreenwater
June 11th, 2014, 12:50 AM
Yeah, I'm excited about the honey badger.

KanuTGL
June 11th, 2014, 01:28 PM
Kopa. I think a lot of people have forgotten: Kopa is a completely unknown character outside of the TLK fandom - the only place where he is famous is among "us". I actually doubt that the creators of this show even know he exists. And even if they do, why would they take a character - created by someone else - from an obscure set of books that were published many, many years ago instead of creating a brand new one?

But, goodness, the fandom meltdown. Looking around the internet, I'm getting the vibe that certain fans feel like Disney should make this show for them - a tiny, tiny segment of Disney's target audience - "just" because they've been fans of the films for a long time... Disney does not "owe" us anything. *must... refrain... from ranting... about... crazy fans...* :cringe:

Back to being excited! A new TLK cartoon! Wheee!

nathalie
June 11th, 2014, 01:40 PM
I just wanted to add to my opinion, haha, as long as it looks better then the Timon & Pumbaa series, hehe :p

I'm usually a negative person, so ill try and keep away from this thread untill it is finally released :p

Guntur
June 11th, 2014, 01:48 PM
Being a preschool serie, i don´t think we will see great stories and animation, but i really hope that i´m wrong....

Oh I hope you're wrong, From the arts I see on this page this going to be like the first movie of TLK instead of Simba's Pride animation.

Dare
June 11th, 2014, 05:16 PM
But, goodness, the fandom meltdown. Looking around the internet, I'm getting the vibe that certain fans feel like Disney should make this show for them - a tiny, tiny segment of Disney's target audience - "just" because they've been fans of the films for a long time... Disney does not "owe" us anything. *must... refrain... from ranting... about... crazy fans...* :cringe:

This.

The fact that this is a preschool show and is thus geared towards what children will enjoy is first and foremost in my mind - I think that's partially why I'm not letting myself get stirred up over it (including my personal feelings on the name and/or character design). I have no doubt that children will be entertained by it, but I don't think I will be...however, if the show spawns more TLK merchandise, a HUZZAH! will be in order.

~ must resist the urge to make honey badger jokes ~

Leorgathar
June 12th, 2014, 07:27 AM
^ I agree with that as well.

As for myself, I'm pleased to know that at least TLK will go on in some form, even as a preschool cartoon. I don't think I'll get to follow the show itself unless it turns out to be better than it's expected. Remember My Little Pony? Bronies weren't exactly their target audience :p perhaps a similar effect could happen within TLK fans, who knows. But even if that doesn't happen and the show limits to a preschool audience, it's still new official material. I'm very curious of the kind of fan theories and fan fiction that this will generate (So far, my theory about the pawprint shoulder mark is that it's to identify the members in the Guard, so maybe that honey badger will have a pawprint mark as well?). And the art... oh the ART! I'm already seeing loads of very good drawings of Kion on DeviantArt, and I look forward to see more when more characters are revealed.

My point is, whatever this show turns out to be, it's a good time to be a TLK fan :D

King Simba
June 12th, 2014, 07:52 AM
The pawprint on Kion's shoulder reminds me very much of the markings on the ponies in My Little Pony, for some reason. Not so sure about that... I think he'd look better without the pawprint, but it's aimed for preschool after all, so I can live with that. :p

But yeah, I think I'd be very curious to watch this. If it doesn't show on TV here, then there'd better be somewhere online to watch it (YouTube, yay!) just so I can see how it is (and because it's something to do with TLK, of course). With it being for a preschool audience, I don't expect it to be anything too good, but I think I'll give it the benefit of the doubt anyway, at least until I watch it.

Either way, it's good to see TLK being introduced to a whole new generation, however the outcome turns out to be. :) I look forward to seeing more characters released soon, including the honey badger, and I already feel the urge to draw Kion now, hehe.

Lyonize
June 12th, 2014, 08:25 AM
All my brony friends are getting hyped and I feel like such a hipster when I tell them I was in the TLK fandom before MLP:FIM existed.

But real talk, I'm so excited for this!

Azerane
June 12th, 2014, 09:13 AM
And the art... oh the ART! I'm already seeing loads of very good drawings of Kion on DeviantArt, and I look forward to see more when more characters are revealed.

My point is, whatever this show turns out to be, it's a good time to be a TLK fan :D

Yes! On both points :D

Still haven't gotten around to drawing Kion, hoping I can make time after work tomorrow :p

ThiagoPE
June 12th, 2014, 04:49 PM
All bronies i know, were/are TLK fans.

Enviado de meu LT26i usando Tapatalk

Sharifu
June 12th, 2014, 06:56 PM
Hopefully the paw print mark on Kion's shoulder is something he put there. Maybe stuck his paw in mud and then marked his shoulder, when he first started this "Lion Guard" group. I'm betting everyone in the group will have a mark like that. Otherwise if he was born with that mark, that would be rather silly... :p But then again, this is a show make for pre-schoolers... :lol: So we'll see.

Nit
June 12th, 2014, 10:49 PM
Look closer:
http://pridelands.eu/../pictures/tlg/Kion_roar_thumb.jpg (http://pridelands.eu/hd/image23418.html)
His pawprint mark glowing!
Wait a second... a lion cub with some kind of a glowing mark on his fur? I saw it before...
http://i.imgur.com/SORoMWN.jpg
(From the "Simba the King Lion" by MondoTV.)

Lyonize
June 12th, 2014, 11:53 PM
Look closer:
http://pridelands.eu/../pictures/tlg/Kion_roar_thumb.jpg (http://pridelands.eu/hd/image23418.html)
His pawprint mark glowing!
Wait a second... a lion cub with some kind of a glowing mark on his fur? I saw it before...

Nah man, das a cutie mark! :kovusmile:

Azerane
June 13th, 2014, 03:31 AM
Well I went over to MLK and read through their (14 page) thread on this, and boy is there a lot of hate and negativity. I don't get it :p

People want to see Kopa and the complaint is that Disney is ruining TLK by not making the cub Kopa, but if they were to have a series with Kopa, it would have to be that Kopa was before Kiara which would destroy the whole Simba's Pride thing!

No it's not going to be up to movie quality, it's a tv show. Yes it could be a bit basic, it's aimed at preschoolers. But BRAND NEW TLK universe storylines and characters, that's brilliant :) There aren't many movies that have a good following to bring out a tv show for kids more than 20 years after the movie's release. I think we're pretty lucky :)

nathalie
June 13th, 2014, 03:56 AM
Hmm, maybe there is a bit of a point about "Kopa".
I mean, clearly, the cub in the first movie at the end, is not Kiara.

With disney preschool, does that mean, it's only for Disney Channel? The Belgian version of the DC is so messed up, haha (Milow the fish ?? lolz), it'd be a miracle for them to show it over here too, dubbed off course -_-

s-tlk
June 13th, 2014, 06:21 AM
In principle I can understand why they are so upset about it. Disney obviously ignores the canon in which many Fans believe very strongly and we spent almost 20 years about getting all the different comics (published and produced mostly _not_ directly by Disney, like the 6NA) and sequels into a consisting storyline. And now they seem not willing to answer all the questions, instead they continue with the next generation. However, I still think we need to wait a bit until we saw the first episodes to fairly judge about it, or at least when more information about the story are released.
In the worst case I will handle it in the same way as with the "Timon and Pumbaa" series, mostly ignore the episodes, except for the few good ones, like "Timon's Story". And I guess it will be the same with TLG (*g*), there will be bad and (hopefully) some good episodes, still mostly consisting of childish story games (I guess), but with small drop of hints, which either fills some plot holes of the movies, or create new ones to discuss about it. xD

I also checked the web for releases in other countries, but at least for Germany I couldn't find any. Since we have a Disney and other kids channels I'm quite sure they will not produce it for English speaking countries only. That would be a waste and Disney always focus on the global market and not US alone. Although I fear the title will be stupid here, either completely in English (which I'm fine with, btw), or something like "Die Loewen Patrouille"... *shudder*

Azerane
June 13th, 2014, 08:07 AM
Kopa was not created by Disney though, 6NA while considered canon by many fans is not actually canon as they were not written by Disney, it simply carries the Disney label. They didn't include Kopa in SP because the producers/directors or whoever had no knowledge of Kopa's existence. The cub at the end of TLK was technically named Fluffy, but nobody complains about that inconsistency ;) :lol:

KanuTGL
June 13th, 2014, 11:49 AM
^ Yes! Some fans are too attached to their own theories, clearly xP

Kopa isn't canon, he is what the fandom likes to call semi-canon. Kion is much, much more "official" than Kopa ever was. Apart from making another full-blown feature film, this is as canon as it gets, haha. The raging people on MLK seem to have forgotten that TLK belongs to Disney and not to them :go-on:

cleargreenwater
June 13th, 2014, 11:49 AM
They didn't include Kopa in SP because the producers/directors or whoever had no knowledge of Kopa's existence. :lol:

Oh how the internet has revolutionized research. Just think, if they'd made SP in 2008 rather than 1998, all it would have taken was a single web search to avoid a decade-plus of controversy.... :P

I haven't been over to MLK, I'm sure it's fantastic though. How dare they create a children's TV show about a new cub of Simba instead of a full-length fictional-character-driven biopic about Scar & Mufasa? Pfff, inventing a new generation, what a cop-out! ....only that's what 90% of member's fanfics are about :p :lol:

Azerane
June 13th, 2014, 12:51 PM
^ I was actually thinking it would have been cool if they'd used cubs like Tojo, Malka etc Or even the whole "prequel" thing with cub versions of the adults from the first movie. But then again, if Disney created all that for us, it wouldn't leave us in much of a place for fan theories and our own fiction and universes, which is just as much fun :D

I think the part I'm liking most, is that Kion is Simba and Nala's cub, not Kiara and Kovu's. It's a nice break-away from a repetitive next generation type thing, and is simply another story to follow. =)

Lyonize
June 13th, 2014, 04:57 PM
The raging people on MLK seem to have forgotten that TLK belongs to Disney and not to them :go-on:

:haha: I see what you did there.

Leorgathar
June 13th, 2014, 05:14 PM
^ Took me a while to get it, but Lol :lol:

Kopa isn't canon, he is what the fandom likes to call semi-canon. Kion is much, much more "official" than Kopa ever was. Apart from making another full-blown feature film, this is as canon as it gets, haha. The raging people on MLK seem to have forgotten that TLK belongs to Disney and not to them :go-on:

You know, now that I think of it, this is exactly the same that's happening with the upcoming Star Wars: Episode VII and fans of the SW Expanded Universe. There's an ongoing rage because their books aren't taken into account, but it's already been stated that only the movies and The Clone Wars series are the real canon, while the Expanded Universe books are considered "legends"... if that makes sense :P

s-tlk
June 13th, 2014, 06:10 PM
When you look closely, you see that Disney is applying this kind of strategy a lot. Though I was very young there, I remember a similar Discussion about the Junglebook and Talespin. They mixed the characters into a completely different setting and today most people like both, series and movie alike. At least I do and I know from many other they feel the same way.

We can also see it this way: We get a lot more material to discuss, even if it is about how "unrealistic" everything is and how it contradicts the previous published books/comics. Yes, for me they are also canon, although not directly produced by Disney, but they allowed to "continue" the story in a way. Of course, this is a matter of discussion and perspective.

KanuTGL
June 13th, 2014, 09:46 PM
Haha! Yes - yes, I totally meant to do that... :lol:

EDIT: Also on the subject of Kion's name, Kreoko on deviantArt said:
"'Kion' is an invented name derived from the Maasai word 'Kiongozi', which means 'take leadership'. So, maybe Kion's name is actually Kiongozi, just calls himself Kion for short"

According to the Kamusi dictionary (http://kamusi.org/), "Kiongozi" also means "leader" and "guide" in Swahili. Seems very fitting!

I'm happy to settle for this explanation of why his name is what it is. Even if the real logic is that it's just "lion" with a K... xD

Lyonize
June 14th, 2014, 12:15 AM
I could check with my grandmother on that. She lived in Africa with the Maasai. She knew both Swahili and Maasai. She taught me a little too but that was a long time ago.

juhouh
June 22nd, 2014, 12:52 PM
Quite curious about this but not that excited

HasiraKali
June 22nd, 2014, 06:14 PM
I'm actually quite excited about this. Any TLK is good TLK in my opinion. Yes, even the more "controversial" things. And Disney Junior shows are generally pretty good if you really watch them.

juhouh
June 24th, 2014, 01:11 PM
If they made some TLK series more dedicated to 7-15 years old viewers I as an adult fan would be jumping for excitement =D

Azerane
June 24th, 2014, 01:20 PM

I finally got it!! :lol:

It only took me about 10 re-reads to get it :p

Nit
June 24th, 2014, 06:45 PM
Here's the official The Liong Guard logo:
http://i.imgur.com/Pt6Qe9h.png
Source: trademarks.breanlaw.com/86311267-the-lion-guard.html

Kirauni
June 24th, 2014, 06:49 PM
ooookay... Yes that font kind of resembles the Lion King-Font. Good choice!
Can't wait to see other details about that show. I even stared to dig out several old TLK comics just to get a "feeling" for it. I thought since they were made for smaller children as well, maybe it helps me to prepare for what is to come. Yeah... I know that's strange. But I really could imagine some of the plots in a show like Lion Guard.

KanuTGL
June 24th, 2014, 06:52 PM
How many in the age group 7 - 15 years would be interested in watching a Lion King cartoon compared to the group of 2 - 7 year-olds though, Juhouh? ;)

And interesting logo. I think it looks promising for the tone of the show, actually. They could've done something along the lines of Lioden (http://www.lioden.com/img/logo.png) and be all kid-friendly with a shiny happy thing, but this one is sticking close to The Lion King's original logo. I like that :P

juhouh
June 24th, 2014, 06:55 PM
How many in the age group 7 - 15 years would be interested in watching a Lion King cartoon compared to the group of 2 - 7 year-olds though, Juhouh? ;)
Well not many, or who knows? :D

EDIT: lol, I did actually misread you post first. I hope no one saw anything :embarassed:

Guntur
June 24th, 2014, 08:23 PM

:lol: Oh dear you're on the roll Kanu. :lol:

KanuTGL
June 24th, 2014, 10:05 PM
I think that Disney is a company that'll play it extreemely safe, if given the choice of a safe bet or a risk. As much as we would like a show aimed at an older audience, we can't forget that we are in fact not Disney's primary target group. And my mind is damaged by the all marketing courses I've taken, I hope you can forgive me :lol:

juhouh
June 25th, 2014, 11:03 AM
I'd say the most of the true fans of TLK are over 18 years old. I'm soon turning 20, I'm still probably the youngest member of these forums. Not many 2-7 years old have ever even heard about The Lion King

Azerane
June 25th, 2014, 11:16 AM
While obviously Disney's target audience is that younger age bracket, I feel like part of the reason it's a very good idea for them to develop this show for the age group they are, plus the large amount of baby merchandise, is because most of the original TLK fans, are of an age where they could have their own kids. What would die-hard TLK fans buy for their babies to wear, TLK merchandise of course. And what tv shows would they want them to watch, one based off of their favourite movie from when they were a kid. So while it is already Disney's target audience, I'm sure they are well aware that TLK still has a very much alive and kicking fan base, a large number of which would be in their mid-twenties and possibly have families of their own. Very smooth marketing Disney, very smooth ;)

As a side note, I think the only thing I'm going to miss about not having kids, is getting them to watch TLK for the first time, and making them love it... even if they don't :p

s-tlk
November 8th, 2014, 06:24 PM
I spotted the first animation sequence with the Lion Guard in a celebration video from the 30th anniversary of Disney TV animation series:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGKNTuFPvcc

It's at 1:05, not much I know, but better than the screenshot of the scene and the logo can be seen at 1:17. I will extract it later and think about if it is worth writing a news entry for my page.

Here is the news entry also with the logo: http://s-tlk.org/index.php?id=1&subid=1&lang=en&site=news-tlk

Kirauni
November 8th, 2014, 06:59 PM
I like the Logo :D

Nice find, s-tlk! Can't wait to see more footage soon!

Leorgathar
November 8th, 2014, 08:34 PM
Aw man, it's just a split of a second :lol: But even that little animation moment looks quite good! I can't wait to see more of it.
That logo looks pretty nice too :ooo:

Nit
November 8th, 2014, 08:37 PM
All frames from the clip are now here:
http://pridelands.eu/hd/folder113.html :3

Apparently the pawprint is a lion head now... or perhaps the clip is older than this image:
http://pridelands.eu/hd/image23418.html

Kirauni
November 8th, 2014, 08:58 PM
Wow, I didn't notice that. Thanks for uploading the pictures, Nit :)

Aurelian
November 9th, 2014, 04:01 AM
I'd say the most of the true fans of TLK are over 18 years old. I'm soon turning 20, I'm still probably the youngest member of these forums. Not many 2-7 years old have ever even heard about The Lion King

Geez, now I feel old. Can't believe I actually hit 30. I still remember when Shadow and Princess Nala(Meghan) were just 12 year old kids, and the rest of us Lea relics were teenagers.

KanuTGL
November 9th, 2014, 11:50 AM
Ooooh! Well, I must say, from that split-second clip, the animation does look impressive for a TV production. Definitely looking forward to this thing :D

HasiraKali
November 9th, 2014, 08:40 PM
I love that he jumped with pixie dust. :p I'm still excited. And I miss all of those old shows from the first half of that video.

nathalie
November 10th, 2014, 07:27 AM
Aww ... after seeing that clip, I care more for Darkwing Duck, Gummie Bears, the old Pooh series, Wuzzles, Goof Troop & The Rescueers (though I have most of the shows complete, lol) then The Lion Guard at this moment :lol:

I'll still wait and see when it comes out. I don't wanna say anything now that I'll regret :p

HasiraKali
November 10th, 2014, 11:26 PM
There's a bunch of debate on that other forum about how this sucks. I don't understand that when it hasn't been seen yet. I always reserve my judgement of everything until I've seen the actual thing.

cleargreenwater
November 11th, 2014, 12:16 AM
I just wanna see what hyenas look like now in it :p

Kossu
November 11th, 2014, 09:16 AM
Oooh,I can't wait to see more!*rewatches the 1 second clip a dozen times*
I'm very curious about the designs of the rest of the characters...
Kion...and sparkles...and wow.They changed the pawprint mark indeed.I think I prefer the pawprint mark;the lion head looks way too detailed...Unless it was magically printed there or something.:p

Kirauni
February 14th, 2015, 06:27 PM
Leopatra posted this first concept arts of some Lion Guard picture books:

http://pic.twitter.com/ZKo35D0sd0

http://pic.twitter.com/D3CQZN2tjk

What do you think? I'm curious if they'll stick to that style or if they stick to the other one that we know from the pictures above.

HasiraKali
February 15th, 2015, 12:13 AM
That's similar in art style to the current line of books from series and movies, especially the first one. The Frozen one looks similar to the first one there and I think we can all agree that Frozen isn't drawn in that style itself.

The illustrator of the first one, Mike Wall, has a blog with the other titles he's done for Disney Junior. http://mikewallillustration.blogspot.com/

I'm not sure about the second one. There's not an illustrator on the front, so it's hard to say. I think it's more of a stylized version of the show.

Dare
February 15th, 2015, 02:41 AM
*squints*
Is that a porcupine? I was hoping for a honey badger...for...uh...various joke purposes.

*Edit*

Nevermind, I'm just incapable of imaging a honey badger with that kind of "hairdo".
For some reason, Bunga looks more like a porcupine to me. XD

That's similar in art style to the current line of books from series and movies, especially the first one. The Frozen one looks similar to the first one there and I think we can all agree that Frozen isn't drawn in that style itself.

Seconded!
I actually prefer the first cover to the second, but that's just me.
^__^

s-tlk
February 17th, 2015, 11:10 PM
Then you'll love this version here xD

So far, there are five Comics and learning books for young kids planed, with a small description each:

Bunga's Big Adventure (http://edelweiss.abovethetreeline.com/ProductDetailPage.aspx?sequence=84&group=catalog&mailingID=0&mailingGroupID=0&catalogID=908248&org=&sku=1484719670): *yuck* I really hope that the honey badger won't look like that in the series. I saw a honey badger from a very close distance. This guy tried to steal my food and although it was dark it definitely didn't look like that, especially it was not blue. xD

Lion Guard Kion, Pride of the Pridelands (http://edelweiss.abovethetreeline.com/ProductDetailPage.aspx?sequence=82&group=catalog&mailingID=0&mailingGroupID=0&catalogID=908248&org=&sku=1484715519)

Lion Guard Hear Me Roar! (http://edelweiss.abovethetreeline.com/ProductDetailPage.aspx?sequence=83&group=catalog&mailingID=0&mailingGroupID=0&catalogID=908248&org=&sku=1484719123): There is the power Mumbo-Jambo paw print tattoo missing on Kion's arm. But okay it is still a draft.

Lion Guard Kion's Animal Alphabet (http://edelweiss.abovethetreeline.com/ProductDetailPage.aspx?sequence=86&group=catalog&mailingID=0&mailingGroupID=0&catalogID=908248&org=&sku=1484729498): I think this is a typical book for the targeted audience.

Meet The Lion Guard Kion (http://edelweiss.abovethetreeline.com/ProductDetailPage.aspx?sequence=85&group=catalog&mailingID=0&mailingGroupID=0&catalogID=908248&org=&sku=148471914X): And we already know this one.

Nit
April 5th, 2015, 08:02 PM
I just wanna see what hyenas look like now in it :p
http://i.imgur.com/jwwL6mC.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/VHstZ1e.png Here you go. ;)

Source: https://instagram.com/p/ruy1yEkIXK/

Kirauni
April 6th, 2015, 08:02 AM
Thanks for posting this, Nit!
Now I'm really curious what they will look like when they're animated XD
Only a few more months!

cleargreenwater
April 14th, 2015, 11:59 AM
Here you go. ;)

Cuuuute! I can live with that :D

Almost makes up for the awful honey badger, lol.

Thank you Nit!

Nit
May 17th, 2015, 10:20 PM
I'll just leave it there:
http://www.ktk.design/TV.html
alternative domain (that propably was unwittingly DDOSed by the My Lion King community ;P)
http://www.konstantinkiriakov.com/TV.html#&gid=1&pid=1

s-tlk
May 18th, 2015, 09:16 AM
The backgrounds look more surreal and simplified than in TLK. I'm not sure if I like it or not, but at least the acacia trees are very strange.
But thanks for sharing. I'm still surprised that there is no more video footage, or other material leaked so far. It's not much time before the series air.

There are also some new comics:
http://edelweiss.abovethetreeline.com/ProductDetailPage.aspx?sequence=83&group=catalog&mailingID=0&mailingGroupID=0&catalogID=908248&org=&sku=1484719123
Can't wait to be queen? On the picture Kiana still looks very young?

KanuTGL
May 18th, 2015, 05:23 PM
I actually love those backgrounds. They're gorgeous!

That comic cover thing though... Yikes, what on earth is going on there!? :eek: That drawing is so weird and creepy that I don't quite know where to start o_o

Guntur
May 18th, 2015, 05:55 PM
I actually love those backgrounds. They're gorgeous!

That comic cover thing though... Yikes, what on earth is going on there!? :eek: That drawing is so weird and creepy that I don't quite know where to start o_o

Looks like something that happened like 10 years ago in this forum. 0.o :scarpaw::mufasaworried:

Kirauni
May 18th, 2015, 07:10 PM
It actually reminded me of that Re-color-Artist comic... O_o
Really weird... I can't believe that the lioness is really supposed to be Kiara. I mean... the markings, the age, the eye-color... those things are so way off! I'm just glad they said that the cover might change later.

But I agree with Kanu. I also like the backgrounds. Sure they are not like the backgrounds used in the first movie, but I still like it. Thanks for sharing!

Leorgathar
May 18th, 2015, 08:49 PM
I love the style in those backgrounds, somehow familiar, yet different. The trees remind me of those in Genndy Tartakovsky works (Samurai Jack for example).

That comic's cover... wow, that looks so creepy it's even disturbing, I mean, look at those eyes, it's like a lifeless carcass staring at you! :eww:

But that said, I found the summary a bit interesting:

Kion's Roar of the Elders makes him the fiercest animal in the Pridelands, but with it comes great responsibility. Can he use it to protect his friends without abusing its power? Find out in this adventure-filled storybook!

"Roar of the Elders"? I guess that would be the one shown in the first picture of Kion roaring with all the lion-clouds above him. Could this mean Kion has some kind of special power? I don't know, but it does sound like it in that summary. Could a magical element like this have a place in the TLK universe? I would have mixed feelings for sure :go-on:

Dare
May 18th, 2015, 10:42 PM
There are also some new comics:
http://edelweiss.abovethetreeline.com/ProductDetailPage.aspx?sequence=83&group=catalog&mailingID=0&mailingGroupID=0&catalogID=908248&org=&sku=1484719123
Can't wait to be queen? On the picture Kiana still looks very young?

I don't know why, but when I look at this character, it kinda reminds me of this picture of Missi Pyle (http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/homealone/images/f/fa/T0UK0LSjjT8zF3Q5FP7AwizyMUd.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20120316191806) from Home Alone 4. Why, brain, why?

Nit
June 11th, 2015, 05:10 PM
https://d23.com/disney-channel-d23-expo-2015/
"The talented stars and creators from tweens, teens, and families’ favorite Disney Channel, Disney XD, and Disney Junior series will be at D23 EXPO 2015, August 14–16, at the Anaheim Convention Center!

The hot-off-the-presses schedule features “inside-the-magic” experiences that include star-studded musical performances by Sabrina Carpenter, Olivia Holt, Bea Miller, Dove Cameron, Sofia Carson, and a Teen Beach 2 Dance Party; a sneak peek at Disney Junior’s upcoming The Lion Guard; meet and greets with beloved characters from top-rated series like Sofia the First and Doc McStuffins; the premiere of an all-new Mickey Mouse cartoon short; and more."

s-tlk
July 13th, 2015, 06:24 AM
Maybe for some this is hard to digest, but it looks like there will be no Kovu in TLG, at least if you trust MTV: http://www.mtv.com/news/2211233/disney-lion-king-series-kovu/
The explanation is very hard and doubt that they will show any of this in a TV series for small kids, but perhaps there are some hints about it, if it is true. It might also be , that they had to reduce the number of major characters in the series.

KanuTGL
July 13th, 2015, 01:58 PM
Interesting...

TLG sure isn't gonna get any more popular in certain parts of the fandom if this is indeed true. I can just imagine the fury now :'D

It seems odd that they'd just kill off Kovu though, since he really is a very popular character. Maybe they needed him gone in order for Kion to be able to be the guard - with Kovu around there would be little need for Kion to be head of the guard, right? Hmm. I wonder how this will be explained.

(If it's true it does fall nicely into my 'Kiara as Queen Victoria (http://kanusketches.tumblr.com/post/75096239583/the-first-night-without-him-her-first-night)' headcanon though, haha)

Leorgathar
July 13th, 2015, 04:44 PM
Hmm I don't know. Are they coming to those conclusions solely by Marsden replying with "Circle of life my friend. Circle of life"?

While I would believe that Kovu might not appear in the show (for whatever dumb reason Disney might give), he might as well be just saying he won't be reprising his role as Kovu, giving the part to someone else.
Or even if he meant that Kovu won't be in the show, I doubt it'll be because he died. I think that's a very early conclusion based on just that little reply.

Although I admit, it would be interesting if it played out like that. Heart crushing, but interesting nonetheless. Maybe the TV movie could show us Kovu's demise... but yeah, that would be a bit too heavy for Disney Junior xD

Sharifu
July 18th, 2015, 04:46 AM
Are they coming to those conclusions solely by Marsden replying with "Circle of life my friend. Circle of life"

Yeah, this is silly. I didn't think that is what Marsden meant... I assume it just meant that he wasn't meant to voice act in that show, since Kovu isn't in it. I don't think that means Kovu is dead in The Lion Guard. (If Kovu is not in The Lion Guard, I just bet that Kovu just wont be mentioned) Or they got someone else to voice him. :p We'll just see.

I am curious to see what age Kiara is at when you first see her in The Lion Guard, just because of the story of Simba's Pride. Does The Lion Guard take place in the middle of Simba's Pride, or after? I wonder how they planned that out. I was thinking of this when it was first mentioned that Kiara would be in The Lion Guard.

HasiraKali
July 18th, 2015, 05:13 AM
That's what I've been saying all along about the Kovu thing. For all we know this series takes place before Kovu was even in the picture. But I also have an unpopular opinion on Kovu, so whatever. I don't care if he's not there. :p I just don't see the draw, but whatever floats their boats. :p

Leorgathar
July 18th, 2015, 05:39 AM
Well, who knows. Kovu might not be in the series.... at first. :kovusmile: I mean, maybe with enough popular demand they could surprise us and bring him in later on, like for the next season or something, making a cameo or two xP

Sharifu
July 18th, 2015, 06:49 AM
I was thinking that too. If the show becomes popular enough, they might bring in more characters later on, like Kovu. Either way I'm not going to lose sleep over it. :p Haha.

HasiraKali
July 18th, 2015, 08:18 PM
Me either haha. Also, I feel like the cub on that weird cover looks a little like Vitani. It's the eyes I think haha.

Kind of off topic, but I had a student named Kiara this past year. I was so excited when I saw the name. She was a great kid too. I should have asked if she was named after Simba's daughter. :lol:

Kossu
August 12th, 2015, 03:11 PM
New Lion guard video is up!:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3HevDh7CE8

Leorgathar
August 12th, 2015, 03:30 PM
I just saw it too, and whoa! It looks pretty good! :wow: the animation is really gorgeous, and I actually like these new hyenas' designs, I think they match the TLK universe well.

There's also tons of new information here (http://blogs.disney.com/insider/2015/08/12/watch-the-first-clip-from-the-lion-guard-and-find-out-whos-taking-on-the-roles-of-simba-and-nala/?cmp=SMC%7Clio%7Cnatural%7Cblgomd%7COMDAugust%7CFB %7Clionguardclip-TLK%7CInHouse%7C2015-08-12%7C%7C%7Cesocialmedia)

Just check this out:

The clip cannily sums up the premise of the new film (and eventual series), with Kion (voiced by Max Charles) leading a group of animals called The Lion Guard. Traditionally, this group has been comprised of the bravest, fastest and strongest animals of the Pride Lands, but Kion “breaks with tradition” and recruits his friends. This means that the new Lion Guard is comprised of a motley crew that includes Bunga (Joshua Rush), a blustery honey badger; Ono (Atticus Shaffer), a smarty-pants egret; Fuli (Diamond White), a confident cheetah and Beshte (Dusan Brown), a friendly hippo. Yes, this sounds very promising.

Even more promising is the voice cast that executive producer Ford Riley and his talented team have assembled. Not only does The Lion Guard include original stars James Earl Jones and Ernie Sabella, reprising their roles as Mufasa and Pumbaa, but also great new talent like Rob Lowe as Simba and Gabrielle Union as Nala. (Kevin Schon reprises his role as Timon from The Lion King’s Timon and Pumbaa television series.)

What makes The Lion King even more interesting is that the Education and Science experts from Disney’s Animal Kingdom have been advising on the project, letting the storytellers in on the “characteristics, behaviors and habitats of the African animal species” and continuing the series’ theme of preservation and respect for the natural surroundings of Africa.

Quite frankly, we can’t wait. The concept behind the serious is adorable and ingenious, allowing for genuine education about serious issues to be presented in an easily digestible platform (a spoonful of sugar, after all), and the animation is gorgeous and evocative. Something tells us that the time in between The Lion Guard: Return of the Roar and the premiere of the series will seem awfully long

nathalie
August 12th, 2015, 04:38 PM
Rob Lowe... I can picture him as Simba, he has a very calm voice.

HasiraKali
August 12th, 2015, 06:28 PM
They're supposed to have a small panel at D23 this weekend with Don Hahn and a performance of a song of some type.

KanuTGL
August 12th, 2015, 08:37 PM
I freaking love this.

The Lion Guard just got at least 10 times more exciting!

Sharifu
August 12th, 2015, 09:28 PM
I'm impressed. :cheese: Can't wait for the premiere of the one-hour movie this November. That's only three months from now!

HasiraKali
August 12th, 2015, 10:05 PM
I'm very excited for this now. I didn't realize that it was going to have a conservation message throughout the series or that the team from Animal Kingdom are advising. If that's the case, could there be an update/upgrade for Rafiki's Planet Watch? :lol: Hoping for new "stuff" :lol:

Leorgathar
August 12th, 2015, 10:38 PM
Guys..... Another clip! (http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid3303744355001?bckey=AQ~~,AAAAAA0Xi_s~,r1xMuE8 k5Nz1HmLGrVlkxGTUBUM_JtH-&bctid=4416105056001):cheese:

I love this!

Dare
August 13th, 2015, 02:31 AM
Oooooo, I like the animation.
I might have to watch this show after all. ^__^

Guntur
August 13th, 2015, 02:36 AM
I'm definitely loving this show, Superb art, animation, voice, and humor.

Excellent Disney... ex freaking cellent.

Azerane
August 13th, 2015, 07:52 AM
The excitement grows :D

I'm not a fan of the hyena designs, but it sure seems promising overall.

s-tlk
August 13th, 2015, 09:50 AM
I'm a little bit skeptical about the "magic" roar, but I hope it's only part of the introduction.

In this article you see a first picture of Nala, Simba, Kion and Pride Rock: http://eclipsemagazine.com/the-lion-guard-return-of-the-roar-simbas-son-creates-a-new-lion-guard/

Leorgathar
August 13th, 2015, 01:54 PM
I'm a bit skeptical about that too, it could mean anything, but I was already prepared for a fantasy element being a possibility, so I just kinda accepted it xD

Here's a better close-up look at Simba, Nala and Kion from that picture. Simba sure looks in much better shape than he did in SP, and Nala's eyes are the right color again! :D

http://www.eonline.com/eol_images/Entire_Site/2015712/rs_1024x759-150812054253-1024.The-Lion-Guard-JR-81215.jpg

nathalie
August 13th, 2015, 02:50 PM
I probably missed heaps about this, but, where is Kiara?

Leorgathar
August 13th, 2015, 03:37 PM
Hmm I just gave a read to that last article, and there's some more new casting announced, including Kiara. I just looked up the actress, and she's 34, which means Kiara will be an adult in TLG. I'm glad about that ^^

Additional cast members include: Eden Riegel (“All My Children”) as Kiara, Sarah Hyland (“Modern Family”) as Tiifu, Madison Pettis as Zuri and Jeff Bennett as Zazu (both from “Jake and the Never Land Pirates”); Andrew Kishino (“Star Wars: The Clone Wars”) as Janja, Vargus Mason (“Sofia the First”) as Cheezi, Greg Ellis (“Star Wars Rebels”) as Mzingo, Khary Payton (“Teen Titans”) as Rafiki, and Kevin Schon (“The Lion King’s Timon and Pumbaa”) as Chungu and Timon. “The Lion Guard: Return of the Roar” is a production of Disney Television Animation.

Sharifu
August 13th, 2015, 06:50 PM
Hmm I just gave a read to that last article, and there's some more new casting announced, including Kiara. I just looked up the actress, and she's 34, which means Kiara will be an adult in TLG. I'm glad about that ^^

Well just because the voice actress is 34 years old, doesn't necessarily mean that the character will be the same age as the voice actor. Lots of women have voice acted for characters who were very young, sometimes even voice act for boy characters.

I do hope Kiara in The Lion Guard will be an adolescent or adult in the show, otherwise I would think that is kind of weird that Kion was supposed to already be born during the events of Simba's Pride.

Leorgathar
August 13th, 2015, 07:52 PM
Oh yeah, that's true, such is the case of many cartoon kids being voiced by adults, but in the case of TLG I highly doubt it, since the rest of the kid characters are pretty much voiced by children, and I guess they'd still have to match Kiara's cub voice in SP :p I agree that it'd make much better sense if TLG happened after all the events in SP, with Kiara as an adolescent/adult. Still no sign of Kovu, though, but I still think he'll appear eventually in the series, if not in the movie.

I also just realized that Ono, the "intellectual egret", is Brick from The Middle. Great choice, I like that kid :lol: he has a good voice for the part. I believe he's the one that appears briefly in the second clip, it sounds like him.

KanuTGL
August 13th, 2015, 08:36 PM
So much excitement!! :D :D :D

Just the fact that Nala's eyes are the right colour again... Freaking amazing xD

HasiraKali
August 13th, 2015, 10:56 PM
Just the fact that Nala's eyes are the right colour again... Freaking amazing xD

:lol:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/hasirakali/GIFS/tumblr_ltpfhqsHIe1r4ghkoo1_400.gif

I'm still pretty excited about this. I was reserved, but honestly, I've liked the last few Disney Junior shows. Miles from Tomorrowland is adorable. :p

Darkslash
August 13th, 2015, 11:06 PM
ohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh Kion gets a cutie mark! Just like My Little Pony! 2 favorite shows in one.

Kirauni
August 15th, 2015, 09:47 AM
Yeah! Let's celebrate these news with some nice Kion smileys!
:kionhappy: :kionsmile:

I just love his expressions and now I'm really curious about the movie! :kionmad:

Leorgathar
August 15th, 2015, 02:55 PM
Yes! I second that! :kionhappy: Can't wait to see more news and clips

HasiraKali
August 16th, 2015, 11:06 PM
It won't let me embed, but here's the 3+ minute clip that was just aired at D23 this afternoon.

https://business.facebook.com/OhMyDisney/videos/vb.125161777640125/498806660275633/?type=2&theater

Leorgathar
August 16th, 2015, 11:13 PM
Yessss!!! :D

EDIT: Found it on youtube. I loved it! And that song is darn catchy x3

http://youtu.be/2toXxKBg-kk

s-tlk
August 17th, 2015, 04:21 AM
There is also an official blog entry about the video: http://blogs.disney.com/oh-my-disney/2015/08/16/watch-the-sneak-peek-of-the-lion-guard-that-just-premiered-at-the-d23-expo/

Also someone gave me a video about the event at the D23. I uploaded it here (http://www.s-tlk.org/stuff/TLK/don_hahn_d23.mp4). There are some interesting news inside about the general concept like every second born cub is responsible to assemble a team forming the lion guard. The leader uses the so-called "Roar of the Elders" to protect the circle of life, it's formed by the great kings of the past. Probably where Mufasa/James Earl Jones comes in.
Scar was also part of the lion guard long before Simba was born, but he tried to use the power to overthrow Mufasa. The rest of the lion guard members refused to support him and he was kicked out of the group. Poor old Scar.... xD

I think the general plot is not so bad, also that they will obviously incorporate some part of the movie to make it fit in the lion guard context. Strange is imho this super roar and I fear that the general plot will always be that the hyenas cause some trouble endangering part of the lion guard. Kion needs to find them to make it a little exciting, but in the end he always uses this roar of the elder to win.

Hopefully the rest of the video will also appear.

King Simba
August 17th, 2015, 06:16 AM
Looks really great. Better than I expected actually. :) I'm impressed with the overall designs of the characters. And the fact that Simba and Nala look actually like their normal selves again is just awesome. I don't have to picture them like in SP any more. :p

I gotta say, I'm pretty darn excited about this. :kionhappy:

Leorgathar
August 17th, 2015, 06:40 AM
Wow, so it's really called Roar of the Elders after all. And Scar was leader of the Guard? Wow! This just turned much more interesting! :curious:

nathalie
August 17th, 2015, 10:54 AM
Seems like a few questions that have been around the fan-base for the past 20 years will get resolved?

s-tlk
August 17th, 2015, 03:04 PM
Maybe and probably a 100 new came up. ;-)

OIn youtube appeared a more complete video of the D23 event: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdXFYGzuIaQ

nathalie
August 17th, 2015, 03:12 PM
The song reminds me of Paul Simon's "You can call me Al", lol.

For now, I'm still thinking: my God you guys, leave a 20 year old movie *alone*!
(same thing I think with every other sequel that has been made)

It's cute for little kids, as it resembles all the other stuff Disney XD / junior has, but for me personally, doesn't appeal to me at all.

What I do like, is that background story about Scar and Rob Lowe as Simba.

HasiraKali
August 17th, 2015, 11:53 PM
Here's an embed of the video from D23 uploaded by Stitch Kingdom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdXFYGzuIaQ

HasiraKali
August 18th, 2015, 01:32 AM
Aaaaaand people are already nitpicking. Can't they understand that this is stylized? And that it's also made to appeal to pre-schoolers?

Frankly, Disney Junior has some fantastic programming already. I prefer the shows on there to the regular Disney Channel shows. Have you seen Miles From Tomorrowland? So cute, and educational! Same with Octonauts. I also like Doc McStuffins. :p

Shatara
August 18th, 2015, 04:11 AM
Just saw the D23 clip. Looks like it could be interesting.

Still only speculation on whether during/after SP? Seems weird that Simba would be paranoid of the Outlands after. Though hyenas moving in could facilitate that. Hopefully best lioness makes appearance either way http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v118/Shatara/bumms/testify.gif

Art looks pretty good, they're clearly going the extra mile to emulate the original style at least, though it does feel kinda low budget at times (the hyenas in particular say 'I'm 3D animated!' to me).

Guntur
August 18th, 2015, 04:56 AM
Shatara has returned. Welcome.

I'm Stoked, I absolutely love the every bit that they add into the series.

Leorgathar
August 18th, 2015, 05:44 AM
Shatara! Great to see you again around here :)

Aaaaaand people are already nitpicking. Can't they understand that this is stylized? And that it's also made to appeal to pre-schoolers?
I know, right? Comment sections everywhere is full with all kinds of hate and bashing. And they keep idolizing Kopa complaining that he's not in TLG -_-
People are taking it too seriously.

I understand the Roar of the Elders is a fantasy element no one saw coming, and that it's strange to fit something like that in the preexisting TLK universe. But I do think it's an interesting new addition, and I personally find it fascinating, especially how they linked it to Scar (They didn't forget about Scar! How cool is that). It has a real lot of potential if you think about it, but in any case it's still a kids show in the end, no point in nitpicking it.

s-tlk
August 18th, 2015, 06:39 AM
You also need to consider that the "Timon and Pumbaa" series is in principle part of the TLK universe, too. And this show was way beyond, from the realistic point of view, than what we saw so far in TLG.
Maybe this "roar of the elder" is a symbol similar than in the Mufasa's cloud scene and only part of Kion's imagination, what kids usually do at that age. Imagine they can jump 100 feet high, or so. I know it's a long shot, but perhaps some can interpret that in this way to integrate it into the TLK universe. But I have the feeling that we will see a lot of plot holes in comparison with the movies...

Nevertheless, one thing is very positive about this: There is gonna be more TLK stuff and lots of room for discussions. Considering one episode has 20 minutes and they will make something like two seasons a 20 episodes. This is a lot to keep the community busy for years. :-)

nathalie
August 18th, 2015, 10:14 AM
I don't feel I'm nitpicking, as clearly many adult fans like this.

When I was a kid we had Gummi Bears and Ducktales, that's the style I still love from Disney series, not what they have been doing in the past few years.

Not bashing, just an opinion.
Am curious to see the result though. So just basing my opinion on what I know so far.

Leorgathar
August 18th, 2015, 03:54 PM
Oh no, I wasn't talking about your comment, Nathalie, I'm sorry if it sounded like I was :ohno:

Nah, you didn't bash or nitpick it, you have a valid opinion and that's ok. I was referring to people who keep whinning with explicit hate comments, that they've ruined TLK forever, that Kion looks like a fanmade OC, that he has superpowers, but especially that they're messing with the "canon" by not including Kopa :rolleyes:

I'd say the only thing I'm a little nitpicky about TLG is that Fuli, the cheetah, has the markings all wrong. It bugs me even more since they're consulting nature experts. But that's about it. Still I think that they're doing a pretty good job with this show.

I also wanted to say, I love the song Beau Black performs at the end of the D23 video, I believe that's the main theme for TLG, and it's awesome! I had it stuck in my head all day yesterday :lol:

nathalie
August 18th, 2015, 06:04 PM
I was just commenting for me personally :p so no worries ;)

I've got You can call me Al stuck in my head since yesterday now -_- :lol:

KanuTGL
August 18th, 2015, 06:53 PM
I've decided to do my best to stay way away from the big fandom debates about TLG :'D Here on Lea I feel like everyone can keep a civil tone, which is very refreshing, but in other places people are just so darn quick to hate on the show. It hasn't even been released yet! I am waay too excited about the high quality production and the obvious effort they're putting into it to complain xP It's brand new TLK content! That isn't centred around Timon and Pumbaa! I mean, how cool is that? xD

The whole Kopa thing is just too ridiculous. I think I've said it before, but, augh xP He was never canon. No one outside the TLK fandom knows he exists. I like Kopa. He's a neat plot device. But some fans are just taking it all too seriously... I also think that if Disney had decided to pick up an obscure book-character from aeons ago, there would still have been just as many fans hating on him. I think that Kopa, as he is, is a blank slate and as such is open to interpretation. Every fan can project their idea of who Simba's cub should be onto him and make him perfect. Kion will be a defined character, who will have a canon story and a canon personality. Regardless of how a Kopa would have been written in the show, he would never have been able to live up to the fans' expectations. Better then to run with a brand new character, I think. Edit: Maybe it's also causing so much of a stir because there are so many fan theories in the TLK universe that have more or less been accepted as the definite stories and The Lion Guard will undoubtedly have no regard for these. I wouldn't be surprised if TLG "rewrites" a large chunk of the fanon, and I bet that that doesn't sit too well with some. I'm very curious to see if we'll get to know Scar's real name, or even see some official designs and names for his and Mufasa's parents though. That would be awesome. But I can really imagine the fit the fandom would throw over it if they aren't called Ahadi and Uru... xP

I'm not surprised about the super power either, since everything super heroes seems to be all the rage these days :p I'm on the fence whether I like it in the TLK universe or not, but I'm ready to roll with it. I'm having faith in TLG for now :kionhappy:

Shatara
August 18th, 2015, 08:41 PM
...and some fans are perfectly happy to see Kopa jossed out of existence :vitsm:

Apparently even Equestria Daily (http://www.equestriadaily.com/2015/08/is-lion-guard-disneys-answer-to-pony.html) is picking up the hype. Or at least accusing of copycatism :P Given the target age group, I expect a lot of similarity; lots of friendship problems with the occasional adventure or big bad to throw the Elements of Ha-err, Roar of Elders at...

Darkslash
August 18th, 2015, 11:51 PM
Apparently even Equestria Daily (http://www.equestriadaily.com/2015/08/is-lion-guard-disneys-answer-to-pony.html) is picking up the hype. Or at least accusing of copycatism :P Given the target age group, I expect a lot of similarity; lots of friendship problems with the occasional adventure or big bad to throw the Elements of Ha-err, Roar of Elders at...

Yues, yues! Looking forward to it. BTW Shatara, what pony sites do you frequent? Never seen your name pop up. Got an OC?

Shatara
August 19th, 2015, 05:53 AM
Mostly just EQD and some pony chats. Occasionally as 'Eridani'. And yes. Probably best keep pony stuff to pony thread though.:secret:

KanuTGL
August 19th, 2015, 01:06 PM
Apparently even Equestria Daily (http://www.equestriadaily.com/2015/08/is-lion-guard-disneys-answer-to-pony.html) is picking up the hype. Or at least accusing of copycatism :P
Wow, yeah, because no other kids shows centre around a group of close friends with special marks of power... :p

Leorgathar
August 19th, 2015, 02:53 PM
^This :lol:

Yeah, that's about the only thing they're alike, which is vastly common in so many shows anyway. Other than that, the Pridelands is absolutely no Ponyville :p

Kirauni
August 19th, 2015, 04:40 PM
I'm just glad that this isn't the intro to the Lion Guard:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4P-46X2THo

:cringe:

Really, it could be far worse and right now I'm really enjoying all those nice clips of TLG.

Endra
August 19th, 2015, 06:52 PM
I only just found out about The Lion Guard yesterday because of that Equestria Daily post. xD

*bounces* I'm soooo hyped for this - a new Lion King movie AND TV series? *bounce* Even if it is only mildly popular, it is adding more lore to TLK and will introduce a new generation of kids to my all time favorite Disney movieee. *bounce*

Leorgathar
August 20th, 2015, 06:25 AM
Yeap, it's what has us all excited, it's a great time to be a TLK fan ^^

I wonder if The Lion Guard will be such a hit. It's be great if there's cool new merchandise, like t-shirts with the Guard's mark on it sold in Hot Topic (I certainly would like one of those :lol:). But it's still a kids show for Disney Jr, so it might not be that big after all ><

Oh btw, I've also been thinking that at some point it'll be a good idea to make a new section in the forum dedicated to TLG. Since it'll be a TV series, maybe it would fit well in 'The Jungle', along with the 'Timon and Pumbaa' series section. That poor place has been ignored for a long while now, maybe TLG could give it a new purpose, don't you think? xD

Azerane
August 25th, 2015, 09:36 AM
Here's an embed of the video from D23 uploaded by Stitch Kingdom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdXFYGzuIaQ

Well, it certainly adds extra weight to Scar's line "Oh, and just between us, you might want to work on that little roar of yours, hmm?" :D Best thing ever!

An interesting concept and it's growing on me. I love that they've done the background development onto it as well.

Also the backgrounds are to die for, I wanted the person recording to show more of those than the singer :p

Kirauni
August 25th, 2015, 07:42 PM
@Leor, Hasira, Shatara, and Guntur:
I've moved your postings from the "Lion Guard" topic to a new thread (See here (http://www.leahalalela.net/showthread.php?6207)). Thank you very much for your suggestions!
I think this way we can keep this topic for postings related to TLG. It's so great to see how the show already affects this board and I'm glad people are interested in making this place a little bit better. Thank you!

And now, back to topic:
You're right, Azerane. Those backgrounds are really well-done and they remind me of those in "Timon and Pumbaa go wild about safety". They were very detailed as well, but this time the style is a little bit different. I really hope we get to see more of those soon!

Guntur
August 25th, 2015, 07:43 PM
It's great that you did that, Well time for me to move there and see if it work for all of us. ;) Later. :cheese:

s-tlk
September 16th, 2015, 09:56 PM
I found an article about a young student working on TLG. It's not revealing much about the series, but still interesting to read: http://thesheridansun.ca/blog/2015/09/15/animation-student-lands-lion-king-dream-job/

There is also a picture book announced about the TLG: http://www.tvinsider.com/article/40064/first-look-the-lion-guard-return-of-the-roar-book-exclusive-cover-reveal/

Leorgathar
September 16th, 2015, 10:25 PM
How nice, a TLK fan who landed a job most of us only dream of. Good read, I'm happy for him :)
Oh and I'm totally digging on that book cover! :D

KanuTGL
September 18th, 2015, 10:35 PM
That book cover looks epic :D

And that article was really cool too. What a dream come true!

Leorgathar
September 19th, 2015, 03:19 AM
Okaaaay, so another book (http://www.amazon.com/Lion-Guard-Cant-Wait-Queen/dp/1484719123/ref=pd_sim_sbs_14_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=193EXZCFSQNG4Y6KPWSG&dpID=51LSE2ezkUL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160,160_&tag=viglink20248-20) based on TLG just showed up. And this is the cover:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51LSE2ezkUL.jpg

Yeap, that seems to be Kiara, who can't wait to be Queen... and she's a cub :\

What do you guys think about this? Personally it doesn't really bothers me, it doesn't change what I expect of the show, but I certainly didn't see it coming xD Maybe I was wrong in assuming she would be adult based on the voice actress. We'll have to wait and see how this all turns out.

HasiraKali
September 19th, 2015, 05:37 AM
People on the other forum are FLIPPING out because she's not an adult. They're saying it ruins the continuity. How? Not everything has to be a continuation. I would personally love more of the "in between" stories. I don't care how old she is, this isn't her story. People need to chill.

KanuTGL
September 19th, 2015, 11:25 AM
I... actually find it pretty disappointing. Mostly because it raises the question - where on earth was Kion and the Lion Guard during TLKII then? :kionno:

Simba's Pride is obviously still canon, so I feel like this could mean something pretty dark for Kion and the others... :kiaralook: Are they going to roll with the popular fan theory that Zira killed Simba's son??
(No xD But they'll have to come up with a really good reason now for The Lion Guard gang to be gone without a trace during the big battle and at the Pride Rock ceremony at the end! I think they're making things more complicated than they need to be by making the series a midquel.)

Shatara
September 21st, 2015, 12:59 AM
Hah! I called it as soon as he started whining about going into the Outlands :p

cleargreenwater
September 21st, 2015, 01:25 AM
...And cue 10,000 gory fan deaths for Kion!

(I'm having a hard time with the honey badger. I just don't like looking at it. :C )

Falconsfan22
October 9th, 2015, 04:48 PM
YAY a teaser trailer for the lion guard return of the roar and finally a date for when it comes out November 22nd
https://youtu.be/DdXf5X-bIXk

Kirauni
October 9th, 2015, 05:23 PM
Thanks!
I also read about this trailer and I just wanted to post it here. But you were faster than me XD

Okay... so we don't really learn anything new, but this trailer provides a little bit more evidence that Kiara is really still a cub. Of course the lioncub we see with Simba on Pride Rock could be that mysterious Zuri character, but I highly doubt it.
Of course I'd love to see a little bit of Kovu and the other outlanders occasionally, but it really seems like Simba's Pride didn't happen. Or at least not all of the things mentioned in the 2nd movie.

Then again, I agree with Hasira. Not everything has to be a continuation and I think I can live with that somehow. Still, I wonder who this Zuri character really is or if he/she really exists. We'll know pretty soon, I'm sure.

What are your thoughts on the new trailer?

Leorgathar
October 9th, 2015, 06:12 PM
"The uploader has not made this video available in your country"

Aww man! Seems that I'll have to wait a bit more. These country restrictions :blah:
At least there's also this awesome new poster :D

s-tlk
October 9th, 2015, 06:50 PM
Good thing we give a damn about yt restrictions: http://www.s-tlk.org/stuff/TLK/lion_guard_teaser2.mp4

Maybe this movie starts with Kiara still be a cub, before Kion was born? In one and a half month we know for sure. Still time to change some things, Disney! xD

Kopa
October 9th, 2015, 07:01 PM
All I can say is that after all this time, I'm still excited to see something new come from The Lion King and that Disney is finally breathing some life back into the franchise. I am honestly pretty dang excited about this series :cheese: ! This is actually what got me to come back here :lol:

Oh and Leorgathar that poster is awesome! ;)

Leorgathar
October 9th, 2015, 07:15 PM
Woohoo!! Thanks s-tlk, you're awesome! :cheese:

And yes, I'm pretty dan excited about it too. Kiara as a cub sure raises some eyebrows, but ah well, who knows what'll happen, I'll reserve my judgement until I've seen it.
And so cool that we've got a date now! :D

Falconsfan22
October 9th, 2015, 07:50 PM
Personally I like it and as far as the cub next to simba I think it's one of the new Cubs not kiara. I think it's set after simba's pride especially if any of the new Cubs are designed like the outlanders. I can't wait for November 22nd though. Really want hear how Rob Lowe does simba and Gabrielle Union does nala

Falconsfan22
October 9th, 2015, 07:51 PM
S-tlk maybe you are right the movie will start with kiara as a cub then quickly transition over to Kion.

Falconsfan22
October 9th, 2015, 08:03 PM
Here is a link to the website that Disney has a for the lion guard has some extra pics on the bottom of the characters. It's true kiara is a cub in this but I doubt she will be in the actual series. The character drawings are great and 2D but a bit too kiddy for me but who cares I will still watch. http://movies.disney.com/the-lion-guard

HasiraKali
October 9th, 2015, 09:45 PM
My biggest complaint right now is that I'm going to have to wait an entire week after it airs to actually watch this. I'll be at Animal Kingdom that day. :p Maybe I can catch it on a repeat when we get back to the resort. It'd be fun to watch it with giraffe, wildebeest, ankole, and zebra wandering around outside our balcony. :lol:

nathalie
October 10th, 2015, 07:09 AM
Will have to grab it from online somewhere.
Even I'm getting sick of everyone saying "it doesn't look lion king style". No. It doesn't. It's kiddie style. It's Disney Junior -_-

I'll leave now, I honestly also don't have much positive things to say about Lion Guard untill I've seen it :lol:

HasiraKali
October 10th, 2015, 07:28 PM
The style reminds me a lot of Jake and the Neverland Pirates. They're kind of kid versions of the characters. I have no problem with the show right now.

Guntur
October 11th, 2015, 05:13 AM
I just know that Gabrielle Union as Nala, I really love her movies and television, I hope she could sound motherly and queen isque for Nala

cleargreenwater
October 11th, 2015, 01:01 PM
^ And I love Rob Lowe, so. He sounds nothing like Matthew Broderick, and I'll loose it if he ever says "literally", but :lol:

Omg, Hasira Kali, how awesome is that that you'll be at Disney when this breaks! :D

KanuTGL
October 12th, 2015, 04:33 PM
It does seem like Kiara really will be a cub in the show. I don't get it. I really don't o_O To me it seems like an excuse to sell more cub Kiara merchandise more than anything else.

But, everything else points to that Disney are taking this show seriously and I love that. The poster is super awesome :D And yay, a release date!

In other news, I found this article on the Disney blogs, and it offers some more sneak peeks! http://blogs.disney.com/oh-my-disney/2015/10/09/5-reasons-why-90s-kids-should-be-excited-for-the-lion-guard/

Anyone else find that new lion cub absolutely adorable?? :D

s-tlk
October 16th, 2015, 03:01 PM
On the disney channel youtube channel they published a new trailer, where you see most of the characters in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COG1D2f5ilY
Looks like Kiara and Kion are of the same age, after all. :-(

Guntur
October 16th, 2015, 03:03 PM
And I can't view the trailer, sad really. :(

s-tlk
October 16th, 2015, 03:20 PM
Here you go: http://s-tlk.org/stuff/TLK/dc_return_of_the_Roar_trailer.mp4

Leorgathar
October 16th, 2015, 03:33 PM
OMG!!! Ahh I loved it! :simbahappy2: it's still looking really good so far, this lifted up my excitement yet again! :cs_grin:

Guntur
October 16th, 2015, 03:34 PM
Thanks.

The trailer look freaking sweet, Rob Lowe as Simba is sure fitting, even better than Cam Clarke from SP. I can't wait for Nala to have a motherly voice as I'm a fan of Gabrielle Union. But I'm going to miss Moira Kelly. :(

Falconsfan22
October 16th, 2015, 05:27 PM
I was goin post it but you beat me to it. I like it the new trailer and rob lowe as simba is very soothing

Guntur
October 16th, 2015, 05:29 PM
^

Yeah, Rob Lowe is amazing as Simba, I'm still waiting for Gabrielle Union voice during the premier.

Kirauni
October 24th, 2015, 09:31 AM
It has been confirmed that Zuri is actually a lioness:

http://www.m-magazine.com/posts/madison-pettis-is-excited-about-the-lion-guard-74979

Her voice actor Madison Pettis talks about her :)

Leorgathar
October 24th, 2015, 06:58 PM
"I'm in a new Disney project called Lion Guard, it's a continuation for the story. I play a lioness named Zuri, she's super sassy and fashionable. She's very fashionable and high maintenance, she's always grooming her claws."

Hahaha wow, that should be interesting to watch :lol:

ThiagoPE
October 25th, 2015, 10:32 PM
Why those trailers are blacked out for users outside USA? the lion guard will not be aired outside? Any news on international broadcasting of it?

Kirauni
October 26th, 2015, 12:32 PM
I think it will air in other countries eventually. However, it has become a kind of policy for Disney to redirect users to the websites of their country. That's annoying and stupid, because when I try to visit a foreign country's Disneystore site for example, i'm redirected to the German site :/

But I doubt that's because TLG won't air in other countries ;)

Kossu
October 31st, 2015, 10:16 AM
New Lion guard clip is available!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OWOJKwGLGg

Kirauni
October 31st, 2015, 02:21 PM
Thanks, Kossu; ! I'll watch it right away. :)

Oh and please check your PMs ;) I wrote you about the soundtrack you were looking for (not TLG though... XD).

BTW: I ordered the picture book for TLG: RoTR and I hope it will arrive sometime in November. Yay :D

Kirauni
November 4th, 2015, 03:32 PM
I just got my copy of the book "The Lion Guard: Return of the Roar" by Disney Press.

The pictures are really nice and it's a great book to have. However, I'm a little bit disappointed, because we don't get to see Nala, Tiifu or Zuri . Additionally, the story seems a little bit short. For example, in the trailer we saw that Kiara had to escape a stampede caused by the hyenas. There's nothing about that in the book, so I think we're in for a few more surprises in the final movie :)

819 817 818

Edit: Just testing if attachments do still work after our update.

Leorgathar
November 10th, 2015, 06:22 PM
I really like the art in that book :)

There's a new TLG clip here in this article:
http://www.tvinsider.com/article/50551/disney-channel-the-lion-guard-return-of-the-roar-video/

I'll just say... I loved that little piece of dialogue, it's priceless :lol:

Falconsfan22
November 10th, 2015, 07:40 PM
Yes I love it too it's funny Kion talking bout can you feel the love tonight funny. Rob Lowe sounds great as simba

s-tlk
November 11th, 2015, 11:21 AM
On abcnews I saw making of clip of TLG: http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/exclusive-scenes-lion-guard/story?id=35109280
They also show a new scenes from the movie.

Sharifu
November 11th, 2015, 08:14 PM
Nice, I like these clips, especially the little making of video. :D Thanks for posting.

s-tlk
November 12th, 2015, 12:59 PM
And another little clip I missed to post yesterday, focusing on Simba, Kiara and Kion: https://www.yahoo.com/tv/sneak-peek-rob-lowe-gets-animated-as-simba-in-155927580.html
When TLG finally airs we already saw the whole movie in little pieces. ;)

Sharifu
November 12th, 2015, 08:25 PM
The Lion Guard seems like an alternate story from Simba's Pride, not only because Kiara and Kion seem like around the same age, but Kiara seems like she has a different personality. In that clip, she is more accepting and willing of the idea of becoming queen and seems, I don't know, a bit snobby? But in Simba's Pride she seems more bubbly and care free and she says to Simba, "I don't want to be queen! It's no fun." :lol:

Leorgathar
November 12th, 2015, 09:14 PM
I guess she's a bit older in TLG, so this would take place some time after the We Are One scene, when Kiara accepts that she'll be future queen :P but eh, who knows ><

There's a new behind the scenes video, now with the members of the Lion Guard's voice actors! :D
http://youtu.be/wXLeVws3k-E

I think the kids are all great for their roles! And yay, Brick as Ono! I think that'll be a favourite of mine xD

Falconsfan22
November 13th, 2015, 06:46 AM
I wonder if there is a video of the adult actors love the behind the scenes videos. Can't wait for November 22nd

s-tlk
November 15th, 2015, 08:25 PM
And here is a second video with the family tree of Mufasa: http://blogs.disney.com/oh-my-disney/2015/11/15/see-mufasas-family-tree-in-this-exclusive-lion-guard-video/
Now everything should be clear... or not.

There is also a second video linked at the end, but to see it you need to register..

KanuTGL
November 15th, 2015, 11:03 PM
Aww, the video isn't available over here :cs_sad_2:

I'm pretty taken aback by what they've done with Kiara in the other clip too. I'm really starting to think that this is an alternate storyline, because that is not Kiara's personality oO

Leorgathar
November 16th, 2015, 07:11 AM
Here's a working link to the video:
http://youtu.be/7FhqK8X1oHE

I love the cave painting visuals, it looks really nice, but the storytelling... well... this line:

"But Simba found new friends, Timon and Pumbaa, and he grew great in size and stature. They helped him realize the kind of king he could be, so Simba returned to Pride Rock and defeated Scar."

Oh no... no no no no they just didn't :woe:
Ok, I can forgive almost every mistake they've been doing so far. Hell, I can even forgive the whole Kiara thing if it proves it can work in the series. But... taking off Nala's most important role in TLK and giving the credit to Timon and Pumbaa for it? (who by the way did the exact opposite of that with their Hakuna Matata apathy lesson xP)
Not even a mention of Nala? Seriously!? :naladisappointed2:

[/fanboy rant]

*Ahem* That aside, I'm still very excited. I can't wait to see it ^^

Kirauni
November 16th, 2015, 09:08 AM
There are a few more clips:

A new trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8_0bXBaKY0

The Zuka Zama Song (only available in the US)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M14LzedBXsk

Hidden Secrets of TLG (only available in the US)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7zvV8Gffaw

Did anyone get what the lyrics of Zuka Zama were?

Zuka Zama Zom Zom Zom
Zuka Zama Zom Zom Zom

Life's exciting,
Life is fun
Zuka Zama Zom Zom Zom
Big adventure for ev'ryone
Zuka Zama Zom Zom Zom

Life's a party and it's filled with thrills
Zuka Zama Zom Zom Zom
Don't worry 'bout the scraps and spills
Zuka Zama Zom Zom Zom

Pop up, Pop up
Zuka Zuka
Dive in dive in
Zama Zama
Go, Go go!
Zom Zom Zom!

Like a bee like a bee like a
busy busy bee going

Zuka Zama Zom Zom Zom
Zuka Zama Zom Zom Zom
Zuka Zama Zom Zom Zom
Zuka Zama Zom Zom Zom
Zuka Zama Zom Zom Zom
Zuka Zama Zom Zom Zom
Zuka Zama Zom Zom Zom
Zuka Zama Zom Zom Zom
Zuka Zama Zom Zom Zom

Falconsfan22
November 17th, 2015, 07:01 AM
It's don't worry bout the scraps and spills
Like a bee like a bee like a busy bee

Kirauni
November 17th, 2015, 10:33 AM
Thanks! I've edited the lyrics now.

And here's today's new clip: "Be Inspired - The Lion Guard: Return of the Roar (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7h6s4r7v0I)"

s-tlk
November 18th, 2015, 11:28 PM
There are also a few new Videos. The best thing is you regularly update this site here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7c-Yrdz1KQfR424UbUeb_g
We got most likely the first minute of the Zuka Zama song and a new making of.
The synchronization of Timon is very good and they show a little bit more of the other characters beside TLG.

Falconsfan22
November 22nd, 2015, 04:31 AM
I can't wait till tomorrow night can't wait to watch it.

Simbaspirit
November 23rd, 2015, 11:37 PM
I'm about to watch it tonight!! I haven't seen any clips aside from the initial trailer, as I wanted to see the movie without having seen most of it in the trailers first. I'll post on the other thread after but I'm excited :D after catching up with this thread though, I must say I'm on team why-does-kiara-have-to-be-a-cub-and-where's-kovu. Stoked though!!!

Leorgathar
November 26th, 2015, 07:46 AM
Here's the music video for "Here Comes The Lion Guard - Beau Black"
All I'll say is that I freakin' loved it!! :lalala: It's really cool :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQt9M4E4nXA&app=desktop

King Simba
November 28th, 2015, 10:03 AM
That was really good and so catchy. Love the whole African feel to it as well. :)

Just saying... even though I don't really collect TLK merchandise like I used to, I would really love a Kion plush. :kionhappy2:

Falconsfan22
November 29th, 2015, 10:28 PM
Yes I would also love to find w Kion plush I think they will start selling them in January before the series premieres

s-tlk
November 29th, 2015, 10:30 PM
Looks like there will be 24 episodes in the first season as you can read here (http://www.goerie.com/new-lion-king-tv-series-due-in-2016#). Plus a few interesting facts about the idea of TLG from the developer Ford Riley.

Falconsfan22
December 1st, 2015, 05:42 AM
The lion guard return of the roar was the most watched animated tv show on kid centered cable it had 5.4 million viewers

Guntur
December 1st, 2015, 12:20 PM
5.4 million is pretty much big for a children viewers, if they keep their pace going, I think it would be successful.

Falconsfan22
December 1st, 2015, 07:44 PM
Yes I do think it will be successful and it wasn't just child viewers 33% of viewers were adults age 18-49

Sharifu
December 1st, 2015, 09:17 PM
Just saying... even though I don't really collect TLK merchandise like I used to, I would really love a Kion plush. :kionhappy2:

I'm sure Disney Store will start selling TLG merchandise, they sell merchandise from other Disney Junior shows.
UPDATE: So when type in "The Lion Guard" on the US Disney Store website, this image comes up:

http://aimg.disneystore.com/content/ds/skyway/2015/freeform/lp_lion-guard_20151123.jpg
So, it looks promising that some merchandise will be coming... ;)

Simbaspirit
December 3rd, 2015, 09:45 PM
AAAAAAAnd I'm gonna be broke come January :P

Leorgathar
December 3rd, 2015, 09:51 PM
Ooooh that's a really good new art! the shading/lighting looks amazing :D

HasiraKali
December 3rd, 2015, 11:05 PM
I've had that song in my head since we watched the pilot. I can't get it out! Help!

nathalie
December 9th, 2015, 08:53 AM
On this youtube channel there are some little interviews with voice actors.
I'm missing Rob Lowe ... :(

https://www.youtube.com/user/MingleMediaTVNetwork/search?query=lion

HasiraKali
December 10th, 2015, 02:47 AM
Show premiers January 15th. Excited. And apparently some online sources are reporting that Kovu, Nuka, and Vitani are going to make appearances.

Falconsfan22
December 10th, 2015, 03:21 AM
I saw that and the original voices actors are goin be back for them. I canr wait for it to premiere and watch it it's goin be good.

Leorgathar
December 10th, 2015, 04:05 AM
Hmm yeah, this is according to Entertainment Weekly. I'd take it with a grain of salt, though:

Joining the cast are Blair Underwood as Makuu, leader of the crocodiles; Ana Gasteyer as Reirei, a scheming jackal; and Maia Mitchell as Jasiri, a friendly hyena.

Jason Marsden, Andy Dick, and Lacey Chabert will also reprise their roles from the 1998 direct-to-video sequel The Lion King II: Simba’s Pride in an upcoming episode.

This sounds really exciting! but... Jason Marsden? He played adult Kovu in SP, so it's kind of odd :\ maybe he'll play as an adolescent Kovu? Who knows, but like I said, this could just be a rumor.

UPDATE:

Hey, remember Lyonize (AKA DJ Simba)? He took the liberty of asking Jason Marsden on his Twitter account about these news, and here's what he replied:

https://mobile.twitter.com/JasonMarsden/status/674940629156274176

Well, this pretty much confirms it. We'll have Kovu in TLG :kovusmile:

s-tlk
December 10th, 2015, 09:49 PM
There is a new commercial video "Call of The Lion Guard" available on yt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O72JetowMls
Some screenshots and a press release is also available on the official Disney press site: http://www.disneyabcpress.com/disneyjunior/shows/the-lion-guard/episodes/the-rise-of-makuu/

Azerane
December 11th, 2015, 07:08 AM
Well that's a shame, that video still isn't available in Australia :p I just want to hear the song, haha.

That press release is interesting, the theme behind that episode reminds me of the Hakuna Matata stories in TLK magazines with the short stories about Simba, Timon and Pumbaa. :)

s-tlk
December 11th, 2015, 08:03 AM
Here you go: http://s-tlk.org/stuff/TLK/Call%20of%20the%20Guard.mp4

Kirauni
December 11th, 2015, 08:04 AM
You could try keepvid.com. It sometimes works for me. I'll have to watch the new video later. Thanks for sharing, s-tlk!

Kasei
December 12th, 2015, 01:12 AM
Hey, remember Lyonize (AKA DJ Simba)? He took the liberty of asking Jason Marsden on his Twitter account about these news, and here's what he replied:

Oh my gosh! I'm so excited!! :D

...hopefully they don't do something weird like make Kovu an adult and Kiara a cub. As if the cannonverse timeline wasn't messed up enough already. xD

Lyonize
December 12th, 2015, 04:58 AM

You're welcome. :p

Falconsfan22
December 12th, 2015, 06:52 AM
I canr wait for the show to premiere on tv and the fact that kovu nuka and vitani will be apart of it it's goin be great. I can't wait for all the products that will be coming out

Azerane
December 12th, 2015, 06:58 AM
Thanks for that link, managed to see it now :) Love the African feel to the song, though it seems odd that a theme song wouldn't have a catch phrase or something to sing along too. Still, I like the sound.

s-tlk
December 12th, 2015, 08:59 PM
diskingdom.com reports that The Lion Guard: Return of the Roar will be released on DVD in Februar 23: http://diskingdom.com/2015/12/12/the-lion-guard-return-of-the-roar-coming-soon-to-dvd/

Rokufox
December 17th, 2015, 06:01 PM
If you told me I would fall in love and faithfully become a fan of Disney Junior show, I'd have thought you were crazy. Oh Lion King franchise, how you pull me in without even having to try.

nathalie
January 2nd, 2016, 08:31 PM
They better show us what happens to Kion while Kiara is growing up during Simba's Pride.

Watching the "movie" right now, not even for a minute, and so annoyed, haha

Guntur
January 3rd, 2016, 02:27 PM
Is it me or the art and graphics are a lot better than Simba's Pride overall?

s-tlk
January 3rd, 2016, 07:48 PM
The next couple of episodes are:

01/22/2016: "Bunga the Wise" (Ep. 4)

After floodwaters threaten the Pride Lands and Bunga comes up with a quick fix, Kion and the other members of the Lion Guard learn that the quick and easy solution to a problem is not always the best.

01/15/2016: "Never Judge a Hyena by It’s Spots" (Ep. 5)

When Kion gets separated from the rest of the Lion Guard, he finds himself lost in the Outlands where he meets Jasiri, a friendly female hyena, who rescues him and helps face off against Janja and the other hyenas. *Maia Mitchell (“The Fosters”) guest stars as Jasiri.

01/29/2016: "Can’t Wait to be Queen" (Ep. 6)

When Simba leaves Kiara in charge of Pride Rock for the first time, Kion reluctantly agrees to obey her which proves difficult when Janja tries to take advantage of Kiara’s inexperience and hatches a plot to take over the Pride Lands.

This is either a mistake or episode 5 is aired before No. 4. I took the information from the official Disney press release page.

Leorgathar
February 9th, 2016, 07:53 PM
There's a new sneak peek for the next episode, "The Kupatana Celebration" :D
We'll finally get to meet the jackals, and man are hey adorable! x3 I have big expectations for this episode.

http://youtu.be/gyO6yPDActk

nathalie
February 22nd, 2016, 04:58 PM
In March the series will air on Disney Junior Holland, in Dutch, obviously.
I'll need to check between the 30 kids-statoins our HDrecorder can pick up, and see if it's on there.
I'll need my dad to record them all then. There must be some way to actually get it on DVD, when it's on the HDrecorder.

Leorgathar
March 14th, 2016, 09:51 PM
There's a new Behind the Scenes feature, this time about the music :D

http://youtu.be/Fim6I0sWaM0

Sharifu
March 18th, 2016, 05:06 AM
I just read on The Lion's Guard Wikipedia page, that it was announced this month that The Lion Guard has been renewed for a second season. Yay. :D The Lion Guard must be doing fairly well.

Looking forward to the new episode tomorrow, especially after two weeks without a new episode.

Leorgathar
March 18th, 2016, 06:02 AM
Yeah! It seems we'll have TLG for a looong time :kionhappy2: I can't wait to see tomorrow's episode either!

HasiraKali
March 18th, 2016, 06:44 AM
I wonder if the Lion Guard thing at AK will be extended. Or at least leave the figures up for a while. That would be fabulous.

I keep seeing my friends on Facebook posting how much their kids love TLG. And I'm just sitting there like... I do not have offspring, but yes. :P

Sharifu
March 18th, 2016, 07:50 AM
I keep seeing my friends on Facebook posting how much their kids love TLG. And I'm just sitting there like... I do not have offspring, but yes. :P

Haha. When I saw my nephew (who is six years ago) last Christmas, I showed him The Lion Guard Pilot and The Rise of Makuu episode, and he liked TLG. I'll be going to Oregon for my Spring Break next week to visit my family, and I'll be showing him more episodes. :p I even bought him a TLG boys shirt at the Disney Store. Gonna give it to him just as a random little surprise gift. :kionhappy2: I hope he likes it.

nathalie
March 27th, 2016, 08:19 AM
I saw the first episode in Dutch yesterday.
Disney Jr Belgium/Holland is messing things up good.
For 4 days in a row, 3 times a day, they are showing the first episode -_-
So I wonder when the rest is going to come, because I need to go over to Kenny's to set the HDrecorder, lol.

Some fun facts:
- Timon & Pumbaa: same Flemish voices as always (I was very pleased to hear that, immidiatly went to their FB pages, haha!)
- Bunga: since he's being raised by Timon & Pumbaa, they gave him a Flemish voice aswell, which I think was a good thing
- Rafiki: same voice as always
- Kion is being pronounced in a very strange way "Kaaaaaaien (Ka-yen)" kind of way, it's terrible
- Kiara is being pronounced in English, which sounds terrible when you hear a full Dutch phrase, and then they say her name the English way, instead of just saying it the Dutch way, which really isn't that different, apart from that we actually pronounce the R (rrrrrr)

I wanna say Simba is the same voice aswell like it always has been, but I'm not 100 % sure.

Guntur
March 27th, 2016, 11:47 AM
Just wanted to say that The Lion Guard will air in Malaysia on April, thanks to Disney Junior.

nathalie
April 6th, 2016, 08:52 PM
I managed to see the complete "movie" just now, I taped it 12 friggin' times -_- haha :lol:
Provider decided to mess things up, and added none of the 12 recordings to the recorded list :eek:

My previous post was from when I was at my parents, quickly recorced a viewing, and saw bits and pieces, lol.

So, now that I've seen the entire 40 minutes ...
I think it's a nice blend of Flemish and Dutch voices.
It did surprise me. Most hyena's (including Janja) are Flemish = outsiders.
The volture is Flemish too = outsiders.
And they speak in a regular accent, which I really like, they didn't gave a dopey Flemish accent to the dopey hyena, lol.

I've set the recorder to yet another 9 recordings I believe.
6 or the first episode, 3 once again the movie.

Thank God, thanks to facebook, I managed to contact the provider, and they recovered all missing 12 episodes!
I wasn't very interested in this when I found out about it, but I have so little to live for right now, haha, that I *am* taking an interest in watching this.
Must admit though, have not yet seen any English episode either :p

Also: When Kion gets his mark ... couldn't that have been just a tad more spectacular?

Sarger
April 7th, 2016, 10:41 AM
My initial problem with ROTR was because it was advertised as a movie in the first place, as soon as I got over the fact that it's not a movie I was perfectly fine with it.

It's 44 minutes long, which barely classifies as a film in the first place, and yet for some reason was advertised as a film. There are so many pacing issues in the opener that would have been solved by splitting the 'film' into two parts and fitting it in with the TV series. It just confuses people, myself included. Doing this would also remove any pacing issues I had.

Once I started to watch the TV series my pacing issues went away.

HasiraKali
April 8th, 2016, 02:47 AM
I think it was only 44 minutes because of the target audience. Most Disney Junior "movies" aren't feature length at all.

Sarger
April 8th, 2016, 08:38 AM
Even if it was 44 minutes, the pacing was still really off. Everything just happens at the end- nothing after that, no real sense of build up, it just happens.

HasiraKali
April 9th, 2016, 03:53 AM
I'll just say what I always say: Target audience. What works for kids doesn't really make sense to adults sometimes.

nathalie
April 9th, 2016, 06:26 AM
Even I have more questions now with this thing, but yeah, I agree.
Also, the 5 year olds watching Disney channel Jr, have they ever even seen Lion King? What do they care :p

Sarger
April 9th, 2016, 06:35 AM
They've both been on the UK Disney Junior so... maybe?

nathalie
April 9th, 2016, 07:35 AM
Even if they did, I'm sure they don't have questions.

People need to stop over-thinking all these things when an animated movie comes out. Pretty sure that's not on the writers minds.

cleargreenwater
April 10th, 2016, 09:57 PM
So, I just binged watched all of this movie plus show this afternoon (I have this weird thing where it's just really hard for me to get in to TLK in fall and winter and my interest perks back up with the weather) and my over all impression watching the episodes back to back? WOW IS THERE A LOT TO CONSTANTLY YELL ABOUT IN THE PRIDELANDS. Seriously, omg everyone's always yelling, it makes my brain hoarse!

Other than that, I truly enjoy this show. Simba is a jerk but he was already a jerk in SP so I've had a decade-plus to get used to that shift. I'm still a fan.

And yeah, the "movie" was a bit of a misnomer. The entire lion guard under Scar must've been a freak show, because Rafiki's drawings of them are creeptastic.:lol:

Now please forgive me as I spam all the individual threads :P

Leorgathar
April 13th, 2016, 06:50 AM
I agree with there being a lot of yelling, Bunga is especially to blame :p

They just announced that The Lion Guard: Return of the Roar will air in Latin America on April 22nd! :cheese:
I can't wait to hear the Mexican Spanish voices. I heard the European Spanish dub and... it's utterly horrible. They gave Kion a really high pitched voice that sounds like a screaming 6 year old. I cringed so much :yuck:
I hope the Mexican dub will be better

ThiagoPE
April 16th, 2016, 08:59 PM
Finally, TLG will air in Brazil. I hope to watch it tomorrow.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160416/2f38818bbd9201eba19cb665b2b2a731.jpg

Enviado de meu LG-D337 usando Tapatalk

Leorgathar
April 16th, 2016, 10:42 PM
Oh yeah! turns out it's going to air tomorrow here too :cheese:

Edit: OMG! I just found out that almost all the voice actors from the original TLK Mexican Spanish dub will return for The Lion Guard! So Simba, Nala, Timon, Pumbaa and Rafiki will all be the same ones :simbahappy3: This pleases me so, so much ^^

Too bad the voice actor for Mufasa (Carlos Magaña Guisa) won't be back since he died back in 1998 :( he had such a lovely voice.

Leorgathar
April 21st, 2016, 05:18 PM
Just letting you guys know, the new episode (The Mbali Fields Migration) is available right now on Kisscartoon. One day early! :D
http://kisscartoon.me/Cartoon/The-Lion-Guard/Episode-12?id=69871