PDA

View Full Version : 20th Anniversary of TLK!

Azerane
May 28th, 2014, 09:08 AM
In just over two weeks (June 15th I believe), it will be 20 years since The Lion King was released in cinemas. This marks a pretty momentous (if not a little crazy) day for most of us. I know a large number of members here saw TLK when it came out in cinemas, myself included, and have been fans ever since. It's amazing to think that something which I saw when I was 7 years old, has altered my life in so many (positive) ways.

This is the thread to celebrate anything and everything about the Lion King and it's 20th anniversary. Perhaps to recall your memories of when you saw the movie in the cinema, or post links to exciting new 20th anniversary merchandise etc.

Let's get this party started! :D

Long live the King!

Guntur
May 28th, 2014, 10:23 AM
Happy Twentieth Anniversary The Lion King.

The only memories that I have about the lion king is my true livelihood at this small town in Malaysia, and I still associate my first home as Pride Rock, No matter how old I am or how far I am. Let just say my childhood is parallel with Simba's growing up in Pride rock and ends with my Father figure's death and moving to this big city.

And Also May is also my favorite month in Lea because it was a memorable month to remember my good times in Lea, from school holiday to family holiday and the drama (it was 12 page I believe) and also good time we I ever enjoyed in Lea.

nathalie
May 28th, 2014, 05:13 PM
Aaaaah, I remember like it was yesterday, haha.
I've told this story over and over again, maybe I shouldn't anymore :lol:

I already loved it when I saw the Making Of on TV about a month before it came to theaters in Belgium.
(not the making of that's on the LD, VHS & DVD's)
Saw it 3 times in the cinema.

I "lost" a lot of money :lol: but made awesome friends :hugs:

HasiraKali
May 31st, 2014, 01:21 AM
I actually fell in love with the soundtrack first because I got it for my birthday the weekend before. I used to have my birthday parties in June because of friends going on vacation and such.

I remember going to pick up the tickets the day before and then sitting in the very last row, on the side (this was when theaters weren't stadium seating and had two aisles) in a row with a very noisy baby that kept crying and being taken out. I also remember a little kid saying very loudly "THAT's IT? IT'S OVER?" after the first book. Made the whole theater laugh.

The movie actually came out everywhere on June 24, but was open in select cities on June 15. I remember seeing it MANY times that summer. I think I stopped counting at 35. I remember my mum taking me on the afternoon I got my first "lady visitor" because I was so upset. :lol:

Good times.

cleargreenwater
May 31st, 2014, 12:29 PM
Too early! Too early too early, I'll come back to this round the 24th! Twenty years, well damn.

Guntur
May 31st, 2014, 12:53 PM
Too early! Too early too early, I'll come back to this round the 24th! Twenty years, well damn.

It's never to early to show your love about The Lion King, beside, it's been 20 years. ;) :lol:

Azerane
June 6th, 2014, 04:33 AM

I know, I know :p I was just trying to get people in the zone for it, and hopefully give us a chance to get a few things organised, like maybe a forum party or something.

I saw the movie before we got the soundtrack. She bought it because after seeing the movie, all the songs were literally imprinted on my brain for good :lol:

Azerane
June 16th, 2014, 08:30 AM
Well, it's June 16th here, so Happy Birthday TLK!! :D

Have the story told in cat gifs, thanks to the internet: http://www.mtv.com/news/1846427/relive-the-lion-king-20-years-later-in-cat-gifs/

This Land
June 16th, 2014, 01:23 PM
(Sorry for any grammatical errors, typed this upon iPad while at work xP)

Ha! where do I start??? XD

I very vaguely remember seeing it for the first time, I was 5 at the time and my memory's sucks xP. But I do remember watching it all the time as I grew older because my brother and I had it on VHS (those were the days, children of this generation will never understand the meaning 'damm I forgot to rewind it'' xP ) and Still proudly own that Very VHS of when it very first got released ( not that horrible VHS special edition that forced you to watch Morning report). I'm guessing from the age of say 9 to the definite age of 16 I did forget about the film a bit, I still liked it but I was doing other things and most likely felt embarrassed to like to keep watching it as my opinion back then was 'it was a children's film'. Then at 16 I was around my dads and seen he had it in his collection and I thought 'why not, relive a bit of youth'. I sat down and wasn't going to take it seriously, but at the ending credits my throat was tight and lips a little trembly, I was absolutely blown away by the music, the animation, the story....everything. It just hit me how much love and effort went into this film....I was just in such like......woah. I immediately watch it again and just picking up all the details and how much thought had gone into the film. I then continued to look at behind the scenes, cast, music artists, getting as much info as I could. I was in love with the film, couldn't hide it forever and adapted the attitude of "yep, I love it and if you don't like then tough xP" (at the age of 16, a guy liking such a film was considered 'uncool and babyish.....sigh'.)

I wanted to share my love for this film and I came across of a thing called "forums", I'm not kidding, had nooo idea how the hell they worked and social media was non-existent then or just starting. that's when I bumped into you guys. July 28th 2005.

I had the pleasure of meeting some epic people on here, people who love to share the same interest, even more so to the people who I met on the Lea london meeting, one of which I will never ever forget and one Lea mass meeting that is very hard to beat. After that over the years my life had taken a huge turn and I loved every minute of it, I continued to meet loads of you again, made my forum specifically for Roleplaying and is still alive and kicking to this day, it also now has a custom made release of "impressive title" game with its own private server and unique interface, something I'm very proud of and would of never learnt how to code/create websites and games if it wasn't for this film.I made some great friends there too, and that's where I first properly met KanuTGL, although now we have gone separate ways she will always be a person I can laugh, chat and vent to, and a very close friend =3.

A massive life changer this film, it gave me inspiration to make my own music and give me great interest in music and film scores, it gave me inspiration to draw (not as much now as I would like), my interest for all Disney films and to see them became massive (with a lil help from a certain someone xP) it's opened up a world of fantastic people and communities. I never would of wanted my life any other way.

I could go on, but I need to save -something- for in 10 years time xP

Thankyou so much Disney. ^^

Vidan
June 17th, 2014, 11:08 PM
I hope everyone had a good TLK anniversary! I can't think of anything profound to say about the movie or its impact on my life at the moment, but I'll have to say it was positive, and I met some good friends through this forum. Long live The King.

s-tlk
June 24th, 2014, 10:47 AM
For me the birthday of TLK was already at the 15th of June, but many (especially) the press takes the US-wide cinema start, which is today. I had prepared a long and tiring speech (okay it was in German only), but I think I skip that and refer to one of this articles you might be interested in:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/06/24/the-lion-king-turns-20-every-crazy-weird-fact-about-the-disney-classic.html
They collected some facts, we mostly know, but there were some which I at least don't remember, for instance that their were real charges against Disney because of the presentation of Hyenas in the movie.

http://www.people.com/article/lion-king-20th-annniversary
A talk about "why TLK still rules". xD

There is a lot more. Interesting to see that after 20 years it is not forgotten in the "outside" world. :-)

Azerane
June 24th, 2014, 11:41 AM
Number 35. is wrong :p It says Scar is the only lion in the movie which has claws. Which if you're going on whether we see them or not, it's still wrong. Since during the movie we see Mufasa's, Simba's, and Nala's claws at some point. Technicality ;)

Perhaps I should be watching TLK since it's been a while and it is the anniversary after all...

cleargreenwater
June 24th, 2014, 11:58 AM
Well, it's official now, a solid 20 years :D YAY TLK!

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/06/24/the-lion-king-turns-20-every-crazy-weird-fact-about-the-disney-classic.html
They collected some facts, we mostly know, but there were some which I at least don't remember, for instance that their were real charges against Disney because of the presentation of Hyenas in the movie.

I....I don't know what to say to that even. o__O Except maybe can you imagine being the person in Disney's legal department who first read that lawsuit letter? XD

All's well that ends well man, twenty years later hyenas are cherished and esteemed by people who looked in to the animals as a result of the film.

Totally forgot whatever else I was gonna say, lol.

ladyaislinn
June 24th, 2014, 01:11 PM
12) One of Pumbaa’s defining characteristics was the way he rubbed his belly. The inspiration for the tick: animator Tony Bancroft’s then-pregnant wife, who would often rub her own protruding belly. Bancroft thought that the action would make Pumbaa more “human and relatable.”

Am I the only one who thinks this is a little insulting? It's hilarious, don't get me wrong, but I have a feeling Mrs. Bancroft wasn't laughing having been the inspiration for a pig. :pumbaamunch:

This Land
June 24th, 2014, 10:52 PM
Im starting to pick up little details, not sure of this have been covered before but debating if it was coincidence or done on purpose :p

The last moment Simba was around the pridelands mufasa was under that broken tree. Then when Simba returns, one of the first things he does is hide behind a broken tree, however not the exact same one but broken in a very similar way :o

Azerane
June 25th, 2014, 12:46 AM
Might be on purpose, could be meaning to symbolise facing his past.

I picked up on small things while watching it too, mostly in tone of voice and little things that I don't recall picking up on before. It was good :)

KanuTGL
June 25th, 2014, 08:28 AM
Time for my little reflection post too then :p

The Lion King really has affected my life in very distinct, very drastic ways. It was always my favourite film growing up - I can't even remember a time without it xP When I was little it was the characters and the story that I loved, but now that I'm older I can appreciate everything about it. The animation is fantastic - in my opinion TLK is the pinnacle of 2D animation, when every then existing animation technique came together to perfection - the music is without compare, the story is incredibly strong and the film is just... beautiful, in every way.

As to how it has affected the course my life has taken, it was when I discovered the internet that things really started to happen. My dad showed me Google, the first thing I typed in was "The Lion King" and the rest, as they say, is history xP

I suddenly found a whole bunch of people who loved this film as much as I did. It came at just the right time, during a period in my life when I had very few other friends, so this community was my "home" during those years and I really have no idea where I'd be right now without it. Seriously. If not for TLKFAA, I would not have decided to pursue an artistic career, so I would probably not be studying graphic design right now; if not for Lea I would not know any of you wonderful people, some of whom I've even met in real life; if not for TLKGO I would never have met TL, so I would never have had those seven adventure-filled, awesome years.

And it all started with that one animated movie.

Happy 20th Birthday, The Lion King :)