PDA

View Full Version : Stolen Lion

ThiagoPE
May 2nd, 2014, 09:45 PM
When we think we already saw everything in this world.... there is Always space for a new thing

Lion stolen from rehabilitation center in Brazil

http://imguol.com/c/noticias/2014/05/01/1mai2014---leao-rawell9-foi-furtado-de-criadouro-no-interior-de-sp-1398985014564_615x300.jpg

SAO PAULO (AP) — Police say a 660-pound lion has been stolen from an animal rehabilitation center in southeastern Brazil.

Officer Claudio Roberto Marques said Friday that the 9-year-old lion named Rawell was stolen Thursday morning from the Sao Francisco de Assis shelter that cares for abandoned animals in the city of Monte Azul Paulista.

Marques says that neighbors reported that three men and a woman arrived at the shelter in a small truck carrying a cage before the lion disappeared.

The officer says the neighbors didn't think anything of it because people frequently bring injured and sick animals there.

Oswaldo Garcia Junior owns the shelter. He told the Globo TV network that he had been caring for Rawell for five years.

Phone calls to Garcia Junior seeking additional information rang unanswered.

Azerane
May 3rd, 2014, 08:46 AM
Probably already had a buyer lined up before hand. The things people do, just defies belief.

A better headline would have been: "King of thieves: Lion eats five people during theft"
..but shorter and catchier, since I'm no good at headlines.

Guntur
May 3rd, 2014, 10:01 AM
How in the hell did the thieves managed to put the lion into the cage? Unless they are professional or big cat rescue worker.

:lol:

Anyway if he's a good thieves like Robin Hood the lion probably in a better care or something.

ThiagoPE
May 3rd, 2014, 10:19 AM
Well, The owner of the shelter gone to TV beg for the thefts bring the lion back because he said the lion was like his son, always crying, he said that the lion was very docile and ate food in his hand. So doesn't seem to be some activist that stole the lion.

Enviado de meu EPAD usando Tapatalk

Guntur
May 3rd, 2014, 10:22 AM
Yeah, I don't know about Activist but I'm sure this is under a vigilante's hand. Matter the most is to keep tracking the lion before the lion or the Vigilante getting out of hand. No need to mourn or anything as this is pretty big case before the law enforcement shot him down.

ThiagoPE
May 3rd, 2014, 10:36 AM
The authorities were warned and they are looking for the lion, even because it can flee and make damage to people.

The owner watched it surveilance câmeras and identified one of the persons that stole the lion, the police keep looking for them.

Kirauni
May 3rd, 2014, 10:38 AM
That's so sad. Why does somebody do something like that?
At first I also thought of Activists. But now I'm not so sure. Hopefully the lion is not being sold to some hunter :(

Azerane
May 3rd, 2014, 12:32 PM
I would have thought it would more likely be black market theft than activists. Exotic animals as pets etc are huge money. To have a lion that tame (to at least one person) has got to be a big draw card for any rich person who desires that kinda thing.

ThiagoPE
May 4th, 2014, 02:42 AM
The lion has been found: It was found with it´s frist owner...

The story is the folowing: The frist owner has a shelter for big cats but he wanted to have only tigers (at that time he had several tigers), and he had this rescued lion, he even tough having an authorization from brazilian authorities to keep the lion, he decided to DONATE the lion to another animal shelter, this donation was registred in Brazilian Authorities.

Few time ago, he asked the second owner to have the lion back, the second owner said no, that the lion was his and he would not give it back... so the frist owner decided to act(own hands justice) without asking brazilian authorities (even because sure it would not accept his request because the donation is registred)

well, now the battle in the justice starts for it says who is the real owner of the lion.

Here is a vídeo with this frist owner of the lion and its place.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwidefc2wpc

Kirauni
May 4th, 2014, 07:42 AM
I' just glad thad Rawell/Ravel has been found!
Thank you for the update. Here's a link to an article:
http://www.nst.com.my/latest/tug-of-war-over-stolen-lion-in-brazil-1.586935

So... If I got that right they found Rawell/Ravel at the shelter of his former "owner" Ary Marcos Borges da Silva?

And he had rescued certain Tigers and (?) the lion from a circus? However he didn't want or couldn't care for the lion as well and decided to "donate" him.

However after 5 years he changed his mind and wanted the lion back. Just when he decided to enlarge his shelter and build a kind of park. Hmmm

However the new "owner" wanted to keep Ravel/Rawell and so Ary Marcos Borges da Silva devided to take him back forcefully? That's sad :(
I wonder how the judges will decide on that. Over here things would be pretty clear I think. Since no documents state otherwise, the lion would go to the new owner.
I wonder where poor Ravel/Rawell is now?

And about the video... Tigers are't pets. Although some scenes remind me of Elsa, the lioness. But no matter how "tame" they seem, tigers will be tigers and lions will be lions.
I just hope that nothing ever happens to that family.

Guntur
May 4th, 2014, 11:47 AM
Off topic, why is Malaysian New Strait Times covered this news? :lol:

I was expecting Brazilian english article news.

I just hope the new owner would not get maul by the Lion over "human intervention".

ThiagoPE
May 4th, 2014, 02:23 PM
Currentily Rawell is at ary´s shelter because until now there is no position from justice of what should be done. the police asked for ary show the documents that proove the lion is his, but until now he only showed the authorization he had before 2009, and the new owner , Oswaldo Garcia Junior, showed the document showing the lion was donated in 2009. so, if ary´s not show any "new" document, he can be arrested because the lion stole.

Unfortunatedly mr. Ary is fighting the brazilian justice the wrong way, because he wants to brreds it´s tigers and the brazilian law is clear that only zoos can reproduce animals that are not from our fauna, he lost a judicial battle recentily because, as a private owner, he would have to neuter its tigers to keep the authorization to keep them, so he had the "briliant" idea of transforming its shelter in a zoo, to not have to neuter its tigers. but there is where the problem resides: there is a justice decision to neuter it´s tigers which him are disobeying. and now stoling a lion only add more full for the brazilian justice take severe actions against him...

who lose more in ths entire tale? the poor animals, because i agree with ary´s thinking that tigers are an endangered specie and should be kept, but when you start to make comercial use of those animals and defy authorities, i think you lose all your legitimity to fight for them.