PDA

View Full Version : The only thing I don't like about Kovu...

ChildOfThePride
July 27th, 2004, 05:24 PM
His eyes...they just look freaky with dark green and dark yellow against a dark coat....:jejeje:

Mushroom
July 27th, 2004, 06:19 PM
LOL, yeah I know what you mean, something that annoyed me a bit about Kovu in SP is that I think he turned too quickly on his own pride.
Plus when Zira hits him a scar won't form that quickly, I understand it's a disney film but really he shouldn't be able to open his eye and it should be quite bloody.

ChildOfThePride
July 27th, 2004, 06:21 PM
The eyes just bothered me...If they had been blue I wouldn't have minded, but green and yellow just don't match...

unregistered user
July 27th, 2004, 08:12 PM
LOL xD See, Nuka doesn't have this problem, that's cause he's supposed to look odd and stand out. Poor termite can't get a break =P :hugs: xD

Naline
July 27th, 2004, 08:30 PM
Aaww, porr Nuka. I see what you mean about Kovu's eyes, i find that especially true in night scenes but in the day it's not too bad.

Personally i think they should've kept with the whole white eye background for night scenes like in (most of) the first film. But hey, that's life!

Lion King Stu
July 27th, 2004, 10:07 PM
I see nothing wrong lol look good to me :D

kcnmttcnn
July 28th, 2004, 12:06 AM
The eyes don't really bother me much. Kovu looks good the way he is. :p

unregistered user
July 28th, 2004, 02:54 AM
Looks ok ta me! :cheese:

But I do see what you mean by scary.....:yuck:

Simba_TLK
July 28th, 2004, 06:01 AM
Kovu's eyes dont bother me ;), they look good :cheese:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/terrynham/leahalalela/kovucub.jpg

kourukon
July 28th, 2004, 06:05 AM
yep, Kovu's eyes are okay.... i think Scar's eye color is more weird :yuck:

Nephilim
July 28th, 2004, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by SimbaTheLion
I think he looks very cool :cool: :cheese: !

Haha, yes indeed. His looks were his only good quality.:evilgrin:

Kovu
July 28th, 2004, 01:58 PM
Maybe it's my banner. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/KovuLKD/Smilie10.jpg
But it is kinda odd if ya think it is. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/KovuLKD/Smilie25.jpg

ChildOfThePride
July 28th, 2004, 02:01 PM
Nah, it wasn't the banner, I've always thought that. It just seems kinda weird....but hey, that's just me. :p

Sadiki
July 29th, 2004, 11:54 PM
there is nothing what annoies me in TLK's charracters are great... and well I couldn't make them better so... those will do perfectly

Sheaa
July 30th, 2004, 12:08 AM
Personally, I never had a problem with Kovu's appearance until everyone started thinking he was Scar's son. I get irked whenever people can't distinguish between their manes and pelts. :grrr: As far as his eyes go, I think they?re cute. I?m glad the animators did not design them to be similar to Scar?s eyes.

If the animators were to change anything about Kovu, I wish they?d make his mane a lighter brown color instead of being dark brown so that it wouldn?t look so black in color. It wouldn?t have to be a drastically lighter dark brown but light enough to tell it was not black and dark enough so that it would not blend in with his fur. :kovusmile

jannali
July 31st, 2004, 07:05 AM
i think in the original script kovu was supposed to be scar's son, thats why they designed him to resemble him. i personally dont think they look that much similar either, but i guess to regular non-tlkholic people he might resemble scar.

Sheaa
July 31st, 2004, 07:27 PM
Yes, you're right, jannali, in the original Simba's Pride script Kovu was Scar's son. However, the production crew soon realized this would be incest (Kiara and Kovu would be cousins) and did a very sloppy job of trying to make it so that at every point possible Kovu's parentage was denied.

I like to think Zira -is- Kovu's mother, and Kovu's father was just a rogue. The problem with Disney is that offspring always have to look like one of the parents (Kopa automatically comes to mind). Kiara, however, actually looked like neither Simba nor Nala, perhaps the first cub not to be a carbon copy of a parent.

jannali
July 31st, 2004, 11:30 PM
kiara looked to me alot like sarabi *shrug* dunno hehe :p

TakaTiger
July 31st, 2004, 11:33 PM
the only think i like about kovu is his facial expressions...

Sheaa
July 31st, 2004, 11:52 PM
Kovu's facial expressions are particularly cute, especially when he's smirking with one eye narrowed and the other raised smugly, as in this (http://www.lionking.org/~timduru/tlk/sp/spshq/4/sp04_009.JPG) picture.

The picture above comes from this (http://www.lionking.org/~timduru/index.html) website. I take no credit for it.

I don't think Kiara looks a thing like Sarabi. :confused:

kcnmttcnn
July 31st, 2004, 11:56 PM
I don't think Kiara looks like Sarabi either. I don't think she looks like anyone. :confused:

BluNikori
August 1st, 2004, 12:50 AM
ah like 'im that way^_^

Sharifu
August 1st, 2004, 07:13 AM
I think Kovu is cute the way he is. I like his dark coat and green eyes.

Originally posted by jannali
i guess to regular non-tlkholic people he might resemble scar.

Yeah, I think most non TLK fans think he's resembles Scar a lot. My mom asked me when she first saw Kovu in SP if he was Scar's son. She said he looked a lot like him.

la_reina
February 26th, 2005, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by ChildOfThePride
His eyes...they just look freaky with dark green and dark yellow against a dark coat....:jejeje:

What're you talking about? I LOVE Kovu's eyes!!:D

Darkslash
February 26th, 2005, 12:12 AM
Yeah, so do I

jannali
February 27th, 2005, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by Sheaa

I don't think Kiara looks a thing like Sarabi. :confused:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/jannali/more%20photos/SarabiSmiles.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/jannali/more%20photos/sp21_018.jpg

both have the darker eyelids (only them two have those) and the broad noses
*shrug* she looks more like sarabi than any other tlk character though, they both have somewhat darker complexions aswell. usually traits skip a generation so it would make sense if kiara looked more like her grandmother than her parents. I think as kiara ages she will look more and more like sarabi.

lion_roog
February 27th, 2005, 04:00 AM
Awwww....they're both cute.:cheese:

And i can see the resemblance Kiara has to Sarabi.

Sombolia
February 27th, 2005, 12:28 PM
I don't like Kiara, but I like her design. People always say she looks nothing like Simba or Nala.. which I don't get :confused: Her fur color is kind of a blend between Simba and Nala's, and it was a nice touch making her resemble Sarabi as well. They did a good job with her design, I think, she could've been a Simba clone :lol:

Ges
February 28th, 2005, 04:39 AM
What are ya kidding!?

Kovu and Scar have very pretty eyes...Mmm, *ahem* Pardon me.
If I got hepatitus I'd look just like them. ^^

But anyway - Green is the color of envy, which is considered an evil ugly thing. So characters with green eyes are sorta evil and jealous of someone or something. Scar is jealous of Simba and Mufasa, and Kovu is...well I dunno, maybe he's jealous that Scar isn't considered one of the "great kings" in most eyes. That's why my mother says I have green eyes because I'm a jealous girl, and I must say that I'm very harsh sometimes.

I dunno that's jsut my stance. ^^

Kiara
December 11th, 2005, 02:45 PM
I don't see anything wrong with anyones eyes, but with noses on the other hand :p no, just kidding ... But actually I don't see anything wrong with Kovus eyes, actually, green eyes is very odd and that makes them even more special. I really like green eyes. :D

Kiara Serengeti
December 11th, 2005, 06:55 PM
I hate Kovu's mane--it's so...lumpy.

chaotic serenit
December 12th, 2005, 12:44 AM
But it's very him, too. I like the TLK manes. They're all, like, personalized as such.

The only thing that ever annoyed me about Kovu is that he never came out with the full truth. I mean, yeah, he turned around after falling in love with Kiara, but Simba got an awful lot of flak for his decisions, while Kovu gets off fairly scott-free on the fact that he *was* sent to originally kill Simba (and tried to, as well!). I suppose that's why I was never really able latch on to Kiara like the other characters. She talks alot about being open-minded, but she's fairly quick to shut the door on the possibility that Kovu may have also been in the wrong. I still like her, mind you, but that is a quality about Kovu and Kiara that I distinctly dislike. There's never that carthartic confession of, "Well, yeah, I was kinda out to kill your dad originally. Just not anymore."

Yes, you're right, jannali, in the original Simba's Pride script Kovu was Scar's son. However, the production crew soon realized this would be incest (Kiara and Kovu would be cousins) and did a very sloppy job of trying to make it so that at every point possible Kovu's parentage was denied.

The thing that always amused me about that is that they already have an incestuous couple - Simba and Nala. In a recent interview, tlk.org's Brian asked about Nala's parentage, and the producers admitted that they always assumed it was either Scar or...Mufasa. I guess as long as it's "don't ask, don't tell," it isn't a big deal?

I will admit that it's a bit sloppily covered and should've been delved into more, but I have to confess that I like the idea of Kovu not being Scar's son. It adds an extra dynamic to his whole connection to Zira and better explains why he was able to turn his back on the Kill Simba Agenda so quickly - it's hard to remain fiercely dedicated to somebody you don't owe anything to, neh? It also helps to emphasize why Nuka is so bitter. I'd be angry, too, if somebody who wasn't even my full (or possibly not even blood-related) was chosen over me.

Ralli
December 12th, 2005, 01:18 AM
I don't like Kovu's big head tuft in his mane...it looks...eugh. And my other problem is that he's too sexy. D:

DarkPaw
December 12th, 2005, 05:25 AM
Hey, Scar's only got a little green orb with a black dot smack dab in the middle-THAT'S creepy. But cooooool :D

Kiara
December 12th, 2005, 10:46 AM
I kinda agree a little with chaotic serenit, and trying to take out everything in a FanFic right now...x) Also, just the black dots is creepy too..

Shatara
December 12th, 2005, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by chaotic serenit
The thing that always amused me about that is that they already have an incestuous couple - Simba and Nala. In a recent interview, tlk.org's Brian asked about Nala's parentage, and the producers admitted that they always assumed it was either Scar or...Mufasa. I guess as long as it's "don't ask, don't tell," it isn't a big deal?Acutally, it sounded more to me like at no point during or after production did the thought ever cross their mind. These guys only knew what they made. What other answer could they have given?

Also, that their initial response was 'Roger Allers' kinda goes to support that...

I will admit that it's a bit sloppily covered and should've been delved into more, but I have to confess that I like the idea of Kovu not being Scar's son. It adds an extra dynamic to his whole connection to Zira and better explains why he was able to turn his back on the Kill Simba Agenda so quickly - it's hard to remain fiercely dedicated to somebody you don't owe anything to, neh? It also helps to emphasize why Nuka is so bitter. I'd be angry, too, if somebody who wasn't even my full (or possibly not even blood-related) was chosen over me. It does seem rather sloppy, but I like that dynamic too. It seems to add more intrigue to the whole situation. 'scar's son' is relatively cut-and-dried, while 'not scars son' makes ya think ;)

I figure that Zira was eager to impress Scar, especially since Nuka was deemed 'less than worthy', and was disappointed the second time when she found her own cub was female. In the end she stole another lioness's cub, ploped him in front of Scar, and said 'This is our son, Kovu'. Perhaps Nuka knew of this feint, but was threatened into silence...

Euan Buchan
December 13th, 2005, 05:02 PM
They mainily look alike in the film off course Simba looks like Mufasa in some scenes only difference Simba's maine is different then Mufasa as for Kiara I think she looks like Simba & Nala (you're thinking WHAT??) well I'll tell you she looks like Nala & she's just like Simba when he was young

DarkPaw
December 14th, 2005, 04:56 AM
I don't see young Simba running around like some ditzy five-legged chicken...Well, you have a point there! :D :cheese:

chaotic serenit
December 14th, 2005, 09:13 PM
They mainily look alike in the film off course Simba looks like Mufasa in some scenes only difference Simba's maine is different then Mufasa as for Kiara I think she looks like Simba & Nala (you're thinking WHAT??) well I'll tell you she looks like Nala & she's just like Simba when he was young

What's the big deal even if she doesn't look like Simba and Nala? It's not like the genes they carry only offer so many variables. It's very possible to have a child that looks nothing like the parents. I myself resemble my maternal grandmother more than anyone else in my family.

Acutally, it sounded more to me like at no point during or after production did the thought ever cross their mind. These guys only knew what they made. What other answer could they have given?

Also, that their initial response was 'Roger Allers' kinda goes to support that...

Oh, I'm not saying it was planned out, but the fact that they admitted it kind of surprised me. They could have just as easily said something similarly improv, like, "Sarafina was an outsider who Mufasa took mercy on. She was also knocked up at the time."

Though, Nuka's death seems so much sadder when you realize that it was indirectly caused by his own cousin. SP gets more bitter and tragic when you consider the blood relations amidst the characters. (Because of Vitani's similar appearance, I tend to lean toward the idea that Nala might be Scar's daughter. So, bitter blood between sisters, there.)

I figure that Zira was eager to impress Scar, especially since Nuka was deemed 'less than worthy', and was disappointed the second time when she found her own cub was female. In the end she stole another lioness's cub, ploped him in front of Scar, and said 'This is our son, Kovu'. Perhaps Nuka knew of this feint, but was threatened into silence...

I personally always thought Zira was lying about Kovu being "Scar's Chosen One," myself. I haven't worked it out in my mind who's son Kovu really is, though. Part of it is figuring out the timeline. Zira's exile and Kovu's birth are two important variables we need to figure out. There's a cut scene in the SP script that has Zira's gang already exiled before Kiara's birth (which makes sense - the animosity between Zira, Simba, and Nala we see the film suggests a history we aren't privy too). However, taking this scene in context adds a problem - Kovu can't be much older than Kiara (who I usually put at 2-3 months when they meet), yet in the cut scene, he's already beyond the baby stage. This would support Scar choosing Kovu because it would mean he was old enough to have known Scar (simply not remember him), but it doesn't cover why he isn't bigger than Kiara when he first meets her. (Unless the Outlands have stunted his growth, but his bulk in the latter part of the movie suggests Zira cared for him well.)

I dunno. It's a bit baffling. This is less plot hole and more artistic mistake, but the only thing I can make it fit is to make it work like this:

Event 1: Kovu's mother conceives him. At some point in this pregnancy, Scar names the cub his heir, for whatever reason Nuka isn't acceptable. At this time, Zira is pregnant with Vitani.

Event 2: Simba comes back. Scar's defeated. Nala's either already pregnant or becomes as such shortly thereafter.

Event 3: Vitani is born. Kovu is born a little bit later.

Event 4: Something dramatic happens to split the pride. Zira and her supporters are exiled.

Event 5: Kiara is born.

And the events of the movie follow.

This is, of course, assuming Kovu isn't Zira's son, but material from the movie seems to suggest he isn't. Not just becuase he isn't Scar's son, but also because of when he was born. Vitani is obviously Zira's daughter, and she's Kovu's age, so if they were blood siblings, they would have been born together - yet Kovu is the "last born" before Simba exiled them. And even if she is a bit older than Kovu, she *still* couldn't be his brother because lionesses don't go back into estrous until their cubs are at least 2 years of age. (Which also means that Nuka must be near a full adult already. Zira would've become queen a year or so into Scar's reign.)

It's just a bit...puzzling, is all. Saying he isn't Scar's son both ends one conflict and starts another. Really, the line that just needs to be completely removed is the one about Kovu being the last born before the exile. That's what really throws things off because you can then otherwise assume he's Vitani's littermate.

TheUnknownSoul
December 15th, 2005, 04:14 AM
i think Kovu is Zira's son XP we have no idea what zira's parents, or kovus father and his parents looked like. So, Vitani may look like a grandparent. Also, i like the idea of zira having two cubs. real lions dont typically have just one o_O i mean it happens but not all the time (though im guilty of doing it with my own characters. otherwise my 'generations' would be bigger than it is now.

Kovu being born in the pridelands throws everything off. age difference in Kiara and Kovu (then me thinking kopas in ther,e but thats a whol other story xP)

anyway, back on topic. Im a fan of green eyes *.* but blue like vitani's may have worked out better? unno. I praise disney for character designs either way

Simbaspirit
December 15th, 2005, 06:04 AM
i personally like to imagine what might have happened, but not assume. its fun to keep changing your mind about such things.

TUS, i love your sig!

Nicoga
December 15th, 2005, 06:39 AM
I never really got in-depth to the heritages of the characters... Though, I always did consider Kovu Zira's son, with no relation to Scar. Guess it's a hardcore fan's thing... Myeh. I know TLK was aimed towards kids, but don't some lions in the wild mate with their cousins or stepsiblings or something? Or is my memory fuzzy?

Kovu's eye color seems fine to me... Stands out from all the dark colors of his pelt.

chaotic serenit
December 15th, 2005, 02:27 PM
i think Kovu is Zira's son XP we have no idea what zira's parents, or kovus father and his parents looked like. So, Vitani may look like a grandparent. Also, i like the idea of zira having two cubs. real lions dont typically have just one o_O i mean it happens but not all the time (though im guilty of doing it with my own characters. otherwise my 'generations' would be bigger than it is now.

It's common for them to have more than one, sure, but it's not entirely guaranteed they'll have large litters, either, so one cub is no anamoly Survival rates for cubs are pretty rough, too, so it's not surprising if Kiara or Simba had siblings that died when they were younger.

Kovu being born in the pridelands throws everything off. age difference in Kiara and Kovu (then me thinking kopas in ther,e but thats a whol other story xP)

I like Kopa myself, but unless he's magically behind the scenes somewhere, it'd be impossible to fit him in. If he had died, it would've taken months for Nala to go back into a viable estrous, and two years if he was alive before she could have Kiara.

TheUnknownSoul
December 16th, 2005, 04:36 AM
"I like Kopa myself, but unless he's magically behind the scenes somewhere, it'd be impossible to fit him in. If he had died, it would've taken months for Nala to go back into a viable estrous, and two years if he was alive before she could have Kiara."

Well, i have it all worked out. actually typing much of this in Generations *points to sig* but im no where near done

I think Zira killed Kopa. Not directly, not like she grabbed him and went rawr on his butt. But my theory is she knocked him off the cliff. More detail than that of course....but that way, Simba couldnt tie it to her, yet he did suspect her. If he KNEW she killed him, I think Simba would have killed her on the spot. instead he exiled her.

now lions... Nala would have been able to get pregnant soon after. not DIRECTLY but soon. Thats why if a new male takes over a pride, he kills all the cubs. though its part of it, its not just a 'the old leader fathered them' its more of "i want the lionesses to be in heat, and they wont with cubs" cause lionesses can choose when to go into heat. IF they have cubs, they will NOT go into heat again for another two years (around there...maybe less. theres a reason for this, but I'd need to read up on it more) but if the cub is killed, the lioness will soon feel the need to mate and have cubs again.

which is why Nuka's age makes so much sense next to Kovu and Vitani. he's grown into a teen, Zira was able to have more cubs. *shrug*

just expressing my views :) not trying to argue with anyone, just backing up my points X3

EDIT: Some people have the theory Kopa was born AFTER Kiara....which is possble. I dont go for that myself though X)

chaotic serenit
December 17th, 2005, 04:28 AM
Hmm. That is a pretty decent theory, and I've seen it scattered around some fanfics. It's only flaw is Zira's line about Kovu being the chosen heir. You could say Zira is lying, but then if Kovu had been born as late as you say, wouldn't Simba have known the truth and wouldn't have been so distrustful?

now lions... Nala would have been able to get pregnant soon after. not DIRECTLY but soon. Thats why if a new male takes over a pride, he kills all the cubs. though its part of it, its not just a 'the old leader fathered them' its more of "i want the lionesses to be in heat, and they wont with cubs" cause lionesses can choose when to go into heat. IF they have cubs, they will NOT go into heat again for another two years (around there...maybe less. theres a reason for this, but I'd need to read up on it more) but if the cub is killed, the lioness will soon feel the need to mate and have cubs again.

A female will go into heat, yes, but her estrous will not yield the potential for pregnancy until 6-9 cycle laters.

TheUnknownSoul
December 17th, 2005, 04:38 AM
"A female will go into heat, yes, but her estrous will not yield the potential for pregnancy until 6-9 cycle laters."

Ah okay then (: Then its a good thing TLK world is............fiction. But yes, good to know for future refrence

Simba learns from Zira that kovu was chosen to be king. I think Scar did tell Zira to have another child, to have revenge on him. and I think Zira, after joining the outlanders, found a lion that reminded her of Scar in looks. Dark body and mane. Ziras mind gets messed up, so I could see how shed automaticaly think "Scar must have sent him!" ya know?

Who knows though. its all theory. I dont even know if Disney knows