PDA

View Full Version : UK Earthquake

Darkslash
February 27th, 2008, 05:13 AM
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsww/Quakes/us2008nyae.php

Ya'll OK?

HasiraKali
February 27th, 2008, 05:22 AM
I was chatting with a friend who lives in that area when it happened. He was kind of freaked out.

King Simba
February 27th, 2008, 07:37 AM
I felt that. It was scary, since I was asleep around the time it happened. My bed suddenly started shaking, and if I'm honest it sounded to me like the roof was about to cave in or something...

4.7 is pretty big for an earthquake in the UK. x_x And if the epicentre was 50 miles east of Sheffield, then no wonder I felt it.

Guntur
February 27th, 2008, 08:11 AM
Ouch, glad y'all okay and all.

Dyani
February 27th, 2008, 09:24 AM
:lol: We southerners didn't feel a thing! Damn.. that would have been so cool.

TX-101
February 27th, 2008, 11:31 AM
I dont think earthquakes are cool. 4 years ago here was one. About 50km more on the north. Few houses ccollapsed. And it was in rainy season. So not only houses... Not too long after Also mountain gas collapsed. Huge river of stones and mud washed away few houses in a small village - luckily most of the village wasnt even damaged. Few roads also have just dissapeared. Interesting to see what can that force do.

Lucy Lioness
February 27th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Dyani
:lol: We southerners didn't feel a thing! Damn.. that would have been so cool.

Yeah, didn't feel it here either. But apparently it was felt in some other parts of Kent.

Guntur
February 27th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by TX-101
I dont think earthquakes are cool. 4 years ago here was one. About 50km more on the north. Few houses ccollapsed. And it was in rainy season. So not only houses... Not too long after Also mountain gas collapsed. Huge river of stones and mud washed away few houses in a small village - luckily most of the village wasnt even damaged. Few roads also have just dissapeared. Interesting to see what can that force do.

I agree, Remember what happen to 2004 Indonesian Tsunami? it's not a good season too!

Legioner
February 27th, 2008, 02:23 PM
But England is a tectonic calm region, right?

Lucy Lioness
February 27th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Legioner

Well, we had an earthquake down here (The SouthEast) in April last year. Not as bad as this one, but it was still felt quite a distance away.

Aurelian
February 27th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Wasn't there an Earthquake in the Indian Ocean near Indonesia or India or somthing ealier this week as well? :confused:

I'll be honest, I didn't know that England was prone to Earthquakes. But I'm glad you are all alright.

I guess I'm pretty lucky to live where I do. Here in Southern new England, we get a blizzard once every few years, and a small hurricane every decade or so(Last one was "Bob" in 1994), but beyond that, we don't get natural dissasters.

KanuTGL
February 27th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Woha o_O I didn't think the UK could get such (relatively) powerful earthquakes =O

King Simba
February 27th, 2008, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Legioner
England has nothing compared to the 9 point somethings that you see in some parts of Africa and Asia, but on average there can be about 5 earthquakes per year (according to seismologists.) Most of them are small though, so not all of them (if any) can be felt by everyone.

Am I the only one who felt this earthquake? xD

Romeo
February 27th, 2008, 04:13 PM
I slept right through it. :]

Taneli
February 27th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Ya know...it's true what I once suspected, all the cool stuff happens when I'm not there.

I lived in Leeds for 13 years, and all the cool stuff happened when I was away. Now I've moved to Bristol, what happens up in Leeds? Snow during winter and a damn earthquake last night! It's so typical ?.?

Got an email from my mum just to rub it in, and she said it was really strong there and she thought they'd lost the chimney.

EDIT: I've decided to make it official... the West country sucks for not having anything cool happen.

Dyani
February 27th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by Taneli
EDIT: I've decided to make it official... the West country sucks for not having anything cool happen.

Damn straight hun! Damn I want to be in an earthquake.. but hell, I want watch a tsunami. be near a hurricane and be bitten by poisonous animals!!! Yeah, how the hell am I still alive? :confused:

lion_roog
February 27th, 2008, 09:07 PM
earthquakes happen in some odd places you wouldn't expect them...such as along the Mississippi river and New York.

This Land
February 27th, 2008, 09:09 PM
I slept through it. but it explains my TV Being upside down

lion_roog
February 27th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by This land
I slept through it. but it explains my TV Being upside down

Or maybe the TV is right-side up and everything else is just upside down...:D

This Land
February 27th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by lion_roog
Or maybe the TV is right-side up and everything else is just upside down...:D

Now that will explain why my door's Hinges where on the other side aswell :knowdees:

Dyani
February 27th, 2008, 10:02 PM
:lol:

SVelasquez
February 28th, 2008, 12:24 AM
Glad everybody's alright.

LunarCat
February 28th, 2008, 01:12 AM
oh wow, glad to hear everyone is ok :)

here is a map of the tectonic plates if anyone is interested--> http://www.iris.edu/seismon/imgs/plates.gif

Like Roog said, they happen in strange places, but they're normally very small on the Richter(sp?) scale. They happen all the time! we just can't feel them

lion_roog
February 28th, 2008, 02:03 AM
Now that will explain why my door's Hinges where on the other side aswell :knowdees:

:haha:...Earthquakes can do that...=D

A map of recent earthquakes. It lists all earthquakes within a one week period:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsww/

King Simba
February 28th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Taneli
I've decided to make it official... the West country sucks for not having anything cool happen.
Move back to Yorkshire! :p

And to those of you who slept through it; you must be really heavy sleepers. ;) Do any of you remember the earthquake we had in 2002? I slept through that one, but my mum said that it was only a small one compared to this one, and that it only lasted a matter of around 3 seconds.

Guntur
February 28th, 2008, 04:01 PM

:lol:

well enough of laughing there's a 7.0 magnitube in south east Asia. the world is really moving!

This Land
February 28th, 2008, 06:46 PM
Something Happened in my home town,

Half of a house crumbled down to the floor 2 hours before the earthquake.

It was either god making things very ironic
or
The house wanted to get a head start
or
Just plain coincidence XD.

No-one was hurt and the rest of the house is planned for controlled demolition. Lucky they had insurance XD.

Stormfury
February 29th, 2008, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by lion_roog
earthquakes happen in some odd places you wouldn't expect them...such as along the Mississippi river and New York.

Yeah, we do; but very minor near 100% of the time! Y'all Westerners get all the great quakes.

:p ;)

Hope everyone is o.k... :hugs: