PDA

View Full Version : Wisdom teeth

King Simba
February 14th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Just a quick question for you lot; how old were you when you first started growing your wisdom teeth? :confused: I'm asking this because over the past few days, I've started feeling sore around the back of my mouth and whenever I poke that area with my tongue or something it feels pretty hard, so I'm curious as to whether my wisdom teeth are in fact growing. xP

I read something up that wisdom teeth usually occur around the ages 16-24 and I'm almost 18 now, so it wouldn't surprise me if they were in fact my wisdom teeth.

If you guys can help me out, then that's great. ^^

Sadiki
February 14th, 2008, 07:51 PM
I was on my early 18's when I first started feeling my wisdom tooth braking my gum... the next two broke the gum about 2 years later and once I had the first one pulled out it showed in x-ray that I don't have the fourth one. I had my first one pulled out about a year and a half ago and the second one was April I think... recovering was really painful from the second time as they had to stitch one of the place with 4 stitches because... so I couldn't open my mouth even an inch the first week before the stitches were out, but now I'm glad they our out because there wasn't really room in my mouth for mine.

Elly
February 14th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Oh... about 24 for me. They really didn't hurt growing in. But one of my sisters had hers coming through crooked, which I can imagine was very painful...

Darkslash
February 14th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Hah, I still have mine in... they cause occasional pain, and have actually grown in horizontally. I think they'll come out this summer, hmmm...

O_o
February 14th, 2008, 08:32 PM
i can see mine now and im 20. My dentist said some week ago she could see them last year when i was 18, 19, but during the year i was 19 i felt them growing a lot. Right now i dont feel them but they're still growing cuz they're not completely visible. I can say they're annoying as food easily get stuck behind now and its hard to take away from in there :p

This Land
February 14th, 2008, 08:48 PM
When my wisdom teeth came through, it cracked the neighbour tooth into quarters somhow, destist suspected it was already decayed (forgot to brush my back teeth properly for ages)

HasiraKali
February 14th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Mine came in my junior year at college. I had them pulled. I'm a freak though because I didn't have the huge down time afterwards that most people have. They pulled them just like any other tooth and I went to class the next day.

When I was sixteen, I had sinus polyps removed and had to have xrays of my face. On the lateral views, you could see my wisdom teeth still up in my jaw. It was awesome.

KanuTGL
February 14th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Mine haven't actually started growing yet, but I know they're there, beneath my gums... Hopefully they'll stay there, wisdom teeth seem troublesome :Perks:

King Simba
February 14th, 2008, 10:35 PM
Ok, I'm definitely not looking forward to growing my wisdom teeth. :lol:

I've had teeth taken out before, so if I did have to have them taken out or whatever it won't be anything new...but I'm still not looking forward to the pain. It seems sore enough now, and they haven't even come through yet. At least I don't feel anything, it just feels hard and sore. x_x

HasiraKali
February 14th, 2008, 10:52 PM
You might just want to go to the dentist to see what he/she says.

Mine actually didn't hurt until they'd already broken the gum and were pushing my other teeth around. The other teeth hurt more than anything.

O_o
February 14th, 2008, 11:22 PM
i thought it kinda felt like when you get these holes in teeth. It wasnt that bad, but for a while i thought i had to go to dentist and fix some tooth because it was broken or so but my boss said it was prolly the wisdom teeth coming out so then i didnt worry more, but it was the same feeling (then i have never had an emergency hole hurting like hell, but the ones that is on their way can be a bit painful)

Revo
February 15th, 2008, 02:23 AM
I actually started growing them when I was about 15. So I guess I was real early in that sense.

TheColorYellow
February 15th, 2008, 03:11 AM
I also started growing mine when I was around 15. I was early, too.

Sombolia
February 15th, 2008, 05:46 AM
Haha, I'm 14 and mine are already grown in. Just lucky I guess. :p I have to get them pulled this summer.

lion_roog
February 15th, 2008, 06:47 AM
I've had mine since I was about 14 years old...had to have one removed when I was 13 due to it growing in side ways. So I have three wisdom teeth now...:D

nathalie
February 15th, 2008, 07:26 AM
17 - 18.

Still not all out though. 1 is comming out since a few weeks, and I'm 24 now.

But they so desperetly have to get out :s

Kovster
February 15th, 2008, 04:25 PM
I have all 4 of mine by i was 20, and so far so good *knock wood* the dentist just said to keep'em flossed and brushed and I should be good to go.

ZooK
February 15th, 2008, 06:30 PM
I must be one of the lucky few also. Only went though 2-3 days of pain when I was 18. They grew in pretty well and didn't have to be removed.

Dyani
February 15th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Mine are just starting to come through. I was in pain last year because of them and my back gums were swollen but one has only just started coming through these last two months. :shrug: They haven't bothered me that much.

TheColorYellow
February 15th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Mine were never removed, and they were painful coming out. :zzz: It lasted for months, from what I can remember of it...

Blegh.

Azerane
February 16th, 2008, 04:58 AM
I have at least two coming through, I don't know about the other two. Mine don't hurt at all, I have no pain and yet he says they should be taken out. I guess i'll have to listen. I really hate the dentist though. That and the fact I have another tooth that needs removing and because of that I'll need braces on the bottom, which I really don't want. It just scares me so much.

King Simba
February 16th, 2008, 11:47 PM
Hmm, this thread makes me wonder why they're called "wisdom" teeth. :p It seems a lot of you have had problems with them and/or have needed to have them taken out. More than likely the odds will be against me too, since I haven't had much luck with dentists. :woeisme:

nathalie
February 17th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Yeah, more then half the time, they *have* to be removed.

I can you some story's when they did came out for some people, but I won't :p

And Rebecca, you're not the only one.
When mine will be removed, some others have to too, and I'll need braces as well.
Well... that is 1 option.
The other option you might be able to guess :cringe:
So I actually prefer option 1, hehe.

Revo
February 17th, 2008, 09:05 PM
Actually my host dad had surgery just recently to get his wisdom teeth taken off. He's 33 :lol: . He's situation had gone so bad that the doctor asked if he could use his X-rays as examples to his students as to what will happen if you don't get your wisdom teeth out early. And when he went to the surgery, they said he had a 1 in 20 chance of walking out of there with all feeling gone from his jaw forever. :cringe:
He still can't eat anything solid, and has to take painkillers every now and then...

So yah remember kids, procrastination with wisdom teeth is baaaad :p

lion_roog
February 17th, 2008, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by ReVo
Actually my host dad had surgery just recently to get his wisdom teeth taken off. He's 33 :lol: . He's situation had gone so bad that the doctor asked if he could use his X-rays as examples to his students as to what will happen if you don't get your wisdom teeth out early. And when he went to the surgery, they said he had a 1 in 20 chance of walking out of there with all feeling gone from his jaw forever. :cringe:
He still can't eat anything solid, and has to take painkillers every now and then...

So yah remember kids, procrastination with wisdom teeth is baaaad :p

Was he one of those people that should've had them removed, but never did, or did he just let them rot? I know that wisdom teeth have weaker enamel and thus are prone to tooth decay more so than the rest of the teeth.

Revo
February 17th, 2008, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by lion_roog
Was he one of those people that should've had them removed, but never did, or did he just let them rot? I know that wisdom teeth have weaker enamel and thus are prone to tooth decay more so than the rest of the teeth.

He was the first kind, they weren't rotten. But they were growing out of control. The roots of the other one were growing around a nerve, and the other one was in danger of spreading into the sinus area.

Prince Simba
February 18th, 2008, 06:54 AM
All four of mine were impacted, so I had to have surgery to remove them.

That was a week of badness.