PDA

View Full Version : Vocabulary game "free rice"?????

lionloversam
February 6th, 2008, 05:28 PM
I found this page that claims to donate rice to the hungery of the world just for you playing their word game. (actually, I read about it in Vegetarian Times) http://www.freerice.com Have any of you heard of this before?

HasiraKali
February 6th, 2008, 05:52 PM
That is one of the most addictive things I've ever played on the internet. I have no idea if it actually donates rice or not, but it's fun to play nonetheless.

/nerdy moment

This Land
February 6th, 2008, 08:55 PM
yay donated 1020 *dies* XD

Revo
February 6th, 2008, 09:09 PM
Ahem.... *points to sig* :bleen: I've been playing it since October, and I'm a fan. It's really great, and it's finally a way for even the most laziest bastards (like me) to do something useful with our time on the net. It used to only donate 10 grains with one right answer, but now it's 20, which is great :cheese:

When it was still 10 grains per answer, I once did a session where I donated 10,060 grains! Beat that! :p

Elly
February 7th, 2008, 04:14 AM
Sorry to be the naysayer, but I don't believe those donations are real.

Nothing's free in this world! There's always a catch twenty-two, or something for something ...

But the concept is quite ingenious though/ thoughtful...

lionloversam
February 7th, 2008, 04:30 AM
I see where you are coming from, Elly. I do have second-thoughts on the program ( how true it is and all). But, once you start guessing definitions, banner ads appear at the bottom. They claim the funds recieved from the adds help buy the rice. Help is greatly open to interpetation. Who can say how much is with-held for their own benefit. But, none the less the guess the definition game is fun.

Revo
February 7th, 2008, 07:03 AM
It's a UN website. I think we can all agree that The United Nations is a pretty trust-worthy organization, don't ya think -.- ... In the FAQ-section it tells you where the money for the rice comes from (no of course it's not literally free to everyone). The site has been featured in news and big newspapers around the country. I think it's pretty safe to say that the site is for real. You can go to almost any other big site that's helping 3rd world countries (Red Cross, WFP, or any other related UN-program) and you'll find links to this site. The sponsors which you see at the bottom of the page are also very big companies with very big reputations. So I'm pretty confident in believing the site when it says it's non-profit.

KanuTGL
February 7th, 2008, 08:50 AM
Ah, yes, FreeRice! I spent all evening yesterday playing that xD Learnt a few new cool words and donated rice at the same time. Awesome concept =D

Simbaspirit
February 7th, 2008, 10:36 AM
I'll have to play this sometime... it intrigues me.

childlike_ghost
February 7th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Cool. Just played it and donated 560 grains (didnt have as much time on my hands) Some of those words though, I'm like what??? Didnt even know it existed.

Elly
February 7th, 2008, 03:52 PM
http://documents.wfp.org/stellent/groups/public/documents/newsroom/wfp152916.wmv

News publication for FreeRice showing and explaining how the system works.

I think I was reading into too much doubt in the early ons ... but I still have my suspicions... about certain things....