PDA

View Full Version : Watership Down

unregistered user
June 18th, 2004, 01:58 PM
While Lion King shall always reign as one of the best animated films ever to be made, I've always held something even deeper for Watership Down. I really can't explain what drew me to this movie when I was a child. The story, the unique culture of the rabbits, the beautiful animation. It's really hard to explain what is so moving about the film and the book.
So now that I have you thinking with my sentimental intro *l*, I'm just wondering if there any fans of the book, the film or even the Canadian/UK animated series? :slimey:

Mabatu
June 18th, 2004, 02:38 PM
:hmm: well i've never heard of it. I'm interested though - could you explain it in a little more detail please? :D:cheese:

unregistered user
June 18th, 2004, 03:06 PM
Certainly. =)

Watership Down is about a group of rabbits who must leave their warren in search of safe home. They?re led by a level-headed yearling named Hazel and his visionary brother Fiver, who foresees the warren?s destruction and convinces his brother to leave the warren and take as many of the other rabbits with them. So they set off and basically, the novel tells of their struggles on the journey, the cruelties of man, and in my opinion, the very similar societies of rabbits and man.
However, when the rabbits find Watership Down, a new quest surfaces as they realize they must find other rabbits to join their warren if their home will survive for future rabbit generations. So they try to help rabbits of a militaristic warren escape, but this forms a rivalry between Watership Down and the warren Efrafa, led by a fearsome tyrant named General Woundwort.
The novel also included short stories of the El-ahrairah, the rabbit?s hero of their stories, Frith, their god, and the Black Rabbit of Inle, which is death.

To really understand and appreciate the film I would suggest read the book first.

The 1978 film itself is very, very good and one, if not the best film adaptation of the book (the only film adaptation? let?s see Disney try to take this on). It?s not what you would think of animation either. There are some very violent but powerful sequences near the end of the film.

The recent Canadian/UK television series is aimed towards kids of course, but I would imagine it?s a little complicated for children to understand. The series is different from the book and movie, but it tries to chronicle events from the book in an episodic way. I have only five episodes on dvd so I really don?t know all of the tv series.

unregistered user
June 18th, 2004, 03:55 PM
I've heard of The Animals of Farthing Wood.
Unfortunately the U.S. has never picked up either series so I doubt I shall ever see it. =(

Nephilim
June 18th, 2004, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by SimbaTheLion
You should watch The Animals of Farthing Wood if you like Watership Down, a fantastic TV series =) . BBC 2, Weekdays, 6am.

I used to love that series. I had all the books and everything.

But Whatership Down, never heard of it. :(

unregistered user
June 18th, 2004, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Scape
I've heard of The Animals of Farthing Wood.

I've seen a clip of that from somewhere's pretty Kool though.
:cool:

Mabatu
June 19th, 2004, 01:21 AM
Watership Down sounds very interesting Scape! I'd be happy to read it if i could find it in a library, or a bookstore! ;)

unregistered user
June 19th, 2004, 05:03 PM
It should be pretty easy to find. If nothing else, you could always order the novel online. =) Author is Richard Adams.

TakaTiger
June 19th, 2004, 05:07 PM
never herd of any of em :(

unregistered user
June 19th, 2004, 05:21 PM
Maybe some links will help.

Watership Down (Novel) (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0380002930/qid=1087665228/sr=8-1/ref=pd_ka_1/102-2113154-0269765?v=glance&s=books&n=507846)

Watership Down (DVD) (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005UF84/qid=1087665228/sr=8-2/ref=pd_ka_2/102-2113154-0269765?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846)

Here's a site with screenshots from Watership Down and The Plague Dogs which was also written by Richard Adams and made into an animated feature.
http://furrypaws.landbeforetime.org/

Dare
June 19th, 2004, 05:34 PM
Excellent! Another Watership Down fan!
I've always loved the book, myself, though I've never seen the film adaptation. I think my library has it. I'll pick it up the next time I'm over there.

Mabatu
June 20th, 2004, 10:34 AM
=) This has really interested me! I guess at first it is natural to think 'ok... rabbits :Psst:'
but from what u and everyone on amazon has said, it seems to be really intriging! It's on my must-read list! Actually, i havn't read a book for ages. :woeisme:

unregistered user
June 20th, 2004, 11:18 AM
I guess at first it is natural to think 'ok... rabbits :Psst:'

Yeah, that is generally everyone's first reaction. =)

"A book (or movie) about bunnies?" :uhno:

va-kasi
January 13th, 2005, 10:42 AM
How many fans of Watership down are there here? After TLK2, Watership down is my second favourite film. :kovusmile

King Simba
January 13th, 2005, 11:35 AM
I saw it when I was younger but I haven't really seen it in a long time.

Mabatu
January 13th, 2005, 01:26 PM
I've been meaning to either read the book or watch the film for months now since Scape i think recommended it...i still havn't gotten around to it though :confused:

I'm sure i will someday though, and i know i'll enjoy it :cheese:

Shadow
January 13th, 2005, 01:47 PM
OMFG.....that moive havent i seen sens i was like 3-5 years old....and i still rimeber it....not the moive itself....i only...well....reimeber it....:alone:

Azerane
January 13th, 2005, 11:06 PM
I first saw this movie when I was about 10 and then I read the book a couple of years ago and fell in love with it, I saw the movie again and it's saw awesome. I'd could quite possible say that it's my fav movie after TLK. If you haven't seen it since you were younger, I recommend seeing it again or reading the book, or both! I'm planning on buying the DVD soon and I'm reading the book at the moment. :cheese:

TakaTiger
January 13th, 2005, 11:06 PM
ive herd alot about it, but i never got to see it :(

Ngatuny
January 14th, 2005, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by TakaTiger
ive herd alot about it, but i never got to see it :(

Same here!:alone:

jannali
January 14th, 2005, 01:30 AM
ive never seen it :(

va-kasi
January 14th, 2005, 03:03 AM
Azerane: Yeah, the DVD is worth it :cheese: I got it for less ($22 AU) than I bought the VHS years ago and it has a movie length commentary with it thats pretty interesting ;)

Azerane
January 14th, 2005, 03:43 AM
I've been looking around at prices of the DVD and I haven't find it any cheaper than $27, I thought it might be a bit less than that because it's an older animated movie but it's obviously not the case. I shall have to watch the movie with the commentary when I get it.

Sharifu
January 14th, 2005, 07:04 AM
Is this an American animated movie? I have heard about it through Timali because she thought it was a good movie. But other then that I have never heard of it. I am curious though and would like to see it.

starlioness
January 14th, 2005, 08:28 AM
I think it's British.. but don't quote me on that..

va-kasi
January 14th, 2005, 11:44 AM
Yeah, it's British ;) but I'm pretty sure the director is American...

Khaki
January 15th, 2005, 06:24 PM
I never got to see the actual movie, but i used to watch the tv show when I was younger.

My dad says the movie's pretty good, and i really wanna see it :(

Timali
January 20th, 2005, 02:43 PM
Here's one Watership fan, though I don't think it's any news. Sharifu already mentioned I liked the movie.
I love the movie, the book and the sequel to book. I'm curious about the animated series (which I haven't seen), but a little doubtful because the bunnies look too cute.

I'd wish to see "Plaguedogs" movie from the same team (and also based on Richard Adams' book), but haven't seen it anywhere. I've also heard the DVD they're selling contains some sort of cut version.

va-kasi
January 21st, 2005, 12:51 AM
Haven't read the sequel to the book unfortunatly but I've seen 2 of the series episodes and a large number of video clips from www.thankustars.co.uk and the official website when it was still around.

IMO the series is pretty good ;) They haven't "kidified" it too much, it's still shares the same themes as the movie.

The first episode is abit of a let down though seeming as they finish the journey to the down all in that 30 mins :hmm:

The Plague Dogs sounds good too (but also very depressing :( ) Haven't heard about the cut version, sounds interesting :)

Sadiki
January 21st, 2005, 09:36 AM
hmm.. I guess I have never even heard about that movie :thinks:
yeah I haven't... but sounds interesting.

Timali
January 21st, 2005, 10:51 AM
Haven't heard about the cut version, sounds interesting

I mean the DVD doesn't contain the original version; some lines and stuff have been removed from it (which many Plague dogs fans don't like at all).

I read that book, too, and I liked it quite a lot. But I know there are pretty dramatic differences between the book and film, and that the film should be a lot more depressing. I'm very curious to see it, though.

Back to topic. I've seen some videoclips of the Watership Down series on that website, too. The clips did look quite good, but I'm still unsecure about buying DVDs of the series. Maybe I should buy at least one to check out if I'd like them. Hmm.

va-kasi
January 22nd, 2005, 12:22 AM
I mean the DVD doesn't contain the original version; some lines and stuff have been removed from it (which many Plague dogs fans don't like at all).

Oh! ok ;) Man it's annoying when films get edited for DVD :(

Azerane
January 23rd, 2005, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Timali

I love the movie, the book and the sequel to book. I'm curious about the

Um... just a question about the sequel to the book. I have read a book called Tales from Watership Down, is that what you're talking about? Because I have read that and it's great. If it's not what you mean then what's the book called?

Timali
January 24th, 2005, 10:37 AM
Yep, that one. I didn't remember its name, so I didn't mention it in my post :)

Azerane
January 25th, 2005, 12:02 AM
ok cool, thanks.:D I'll have to try and find that somewhere so that I can buy it, I've only seen it at the library

EDIT: Oh and I bought the DVD yesterday *jumps up and down with joy* haven't had a chance to watch it yet though.

va-kasi
January 25th, 2005, 01:59 AM
Cool :) Just a odd question I must ask, is the cover of the DVD really compressed by JPG smears? :cheese: Mine is so I'm just wondering about its genuine :hmm: , the others in the shops seem to be, its just really odd how bad the quality of the cover art is.

unregistered user
January 25th, 2005, 02:23 AM
I've read the book and seen the movie. Of course I like the book better, and I did some fanart some years ago I should scan for the benefit of rabid WD fans like you va-kasi^^ One thing I like about the movie is that they aren't afraid to show blood when the characters are injured

va-kasi
January 26th, 2005, 12:39 AM
Cool :cheese: Theres a small fanart section as part of http://www.thankustars.co.uk if you want to post it to the WD community ;) I've posted abit there as well as Scape.

starlioness
January 26th, 2005, 07:24 AM
here's a nice little site that has some info on the Plague Dogs..

http://www.plaguedogs.homestead.com/

Azerane
January 27th, 2005, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by va-kasi
Cool :) Just a odd question I must ask, is the cover of the DVD really compressed by JPG smears? :cheese: Mine is so I'm just wondering about its genuine :hmm: , the others in the shops seem to be, its just really odd how bad the quality of the cover art is.

Yes mine is also covered with those icky smears. I had wondered about it too but I'd just left it to the fact that the movie was quite old, but I'm not sure how much difference that would make. The printing on the actual DVD though is very clear though so that would lead me to think that it was genuine, so yeah. :D

va-kasi
January 27th, 2005, 01:23 AM
Yeah, I guess so ;) No real harm I guess. Just didn't want to think I had purchased a rip.

jannali
January 31st, 2005, 02:46 AM
ooh i did some research on this plague dog things and tomorrow im heading straight to the library to borrow a copy of the book so i can read it. I want to see the movie so bad now! Snitter's voice sounds really cute from that short clip on the quotes page of that site.

nafklt
February 10th, 2005, 07:54 AM
I loved the book.

Opera Ghost
May 29th, 2005, 12:46 PM
did anyone like this film,not made by disney but i love it,Hazel is my fave:D

Lucy Lioness
May 29th, 2005, 01:45 PM
I read the book when I was younger and have seen the movie. I think books are usually better than film adaptations though. :D I liked Hazel too, I named my rabbit in real life Hazel after him.

Opera Ghost
May 29th, 2005, 01:46 PM
i named my old rabbit Hazel too:D

Lucy Lioness
May 29th, 2005, 02:25 PM
My Hazel was a girl rabbit though, and she was evil! :D

Opera Ghost
May 29th, 2005, 02:29 PM
mine was also a girl,mine was a bit evil too as she was always trying to bite

Sombolia
May 29th, 2005, 08:25 PM
I have the book, I haven't read it yet, though.. still workin' on The Plague Dogs.

Opera Ghost
May 29th, 2005, 08:29 PM
I wanna read The Plague Dogs,i also wanna see the film of it :cheese:

Sombolia
May 30th, 2005, 12:22 AM
It's a really sad book, especcially if you're the anti-animal cruetly type. On the same note, it also has a somewhat happy ending (I believe, I haven't finished it), and it's very well written. ^^

va-kasi
May 30th, 2005, 01:22 AM
Yes :)

Watership down is my 2nd favourite movie :)

What I've seen of the series is good too, and the novel aswell even though I'm not much of a reader ;)

Opera Ghost
May 30th, 2005, 07:50 AM
I have the book somwhere , still haven't read it,:lol:

Mizani
May 30th, 2005, 09:46 AM
I saw the movie. Kind of disturbing in a way....:thinks:

Lucy Lioness
May 30th, 2005, 09:59 AM
Yeah - with all the rabbits being beaten and killed and stuff. Gave me nightmares! :eek:

Mizani
May 30th, 2005, 10:00 AM
Like when they all got trapped in the holes and they died.*shudder* :cringe:

Lucy Lioness
May 30th, 2005, 10:03 AM
And that scene at the end where that rabbit got his throat like ripped out or something? Ick.

Lol Shenzi Hyena! Maybe our evil rabbits were from the same family! :D

Mizani
May 30th, 2005, 10:05 AM
My best friend used to have a black canabalistic hampster, but it ran away...:uhno:

Opera Ghost
May 30th, 2005, 10:19 AM
yeah i hated the part when that rabbit got it's thorught ripped apart,that film an be scary and gross too :gasp: :eww:

Mizani
May 30th, 2005, 10:21 AM
Yeah it is pretty gross I must say. so much gore. :cringe:

Opera Ghost
May 30th, 2005, 10:28 AM
I used to be scared of that movie when i was younger only at the ghost rabbits and gore

Mizani
May 30th, 2005, 10:30 AM
I'm the same age as you and I still gey freaked! :eww:

Opera Ghost
May 30th, 2005, 10:32 AM
yeah if i watch it again i will still get night mares :eww:

Mizani
May 30th, 2005, 10:36 AM
:cringe: I have it on DVD

Opera Ghost
May 30th, 2005, 10:37 AM
i have the video but its in my locker at school

Mizani
May 30th, 2005, 10:39 AM
Why at school? :confused:

Opera Ghost
May 30th, 2005, 10:40 AM
because my freind borrowed it and i put in in my locker and was too lazy to get it back out :lol:

Mizani
May 30th, 2005, 10:45 AM
What did your friend think of it? ;)

Opera Ghost
May 30th, 2005, 10:46 AM
she was scared of it,though she said she was still eating popcorn at the gross bits:cringe: :horror:

Mizani
May 30th, 2005, 10:48 AM
eeeppp

Opera Ghost
May 30th, 2005, 10:54 AM
gross isn't she how could you eat with all that going on :cringe:

Mizani
May 30th, 2005, 11:13 AM
Yuck I'd throw away my popcorn if I was watching watership down..:uhno:

va-kasi
May 30th, 2005, 11:18 AM
Horray for Watership down saving rabbits from 'cutesy' denigration! :ayecapn:

I don't find it too gruesome, just realistic.

Mizani
May 30th, 2005, 11:29 AM
True:thinks:

Opera Ghost
May 30th, 2005, 11:31 AM
true
but still a little gruesome ,the bird swears on there i heard

va-kasi
May 30th, 2005, 11:37 AM
hehe, it took me years to pick up on that one. Hard to understand what he says sometimes :confused: :kovusmile

Opera Ghost
May 30th, 2005, 11:41 AM
yeah funny though ,fancy that on a u film or was it pg :lol::confused:

va-kasi
May 30th, 2005, 11:44 AM
It's PG.
But recently it got marked down to "U" in the UK.

It really shouldn't be "U" rated :woeisme: The film got banned in several countries yet they think it's ok to mark it down to a gereral audience?

Mizani
May 30th, 2005, 11:52 AM
Kids watching watership down?
It'll give them nightmares!!:gasp:

Opera Ghost
May 30th, 2005, 11:53 AM
really banned i never knew that ,and yeah poor kids for getting nightmares :gasp: :bleen:

va-kasi
May 30th, 2005, 11:53 AM
*Lol* Now I feel bad for letting an 8 year old borrow my VHS of it :hehe:

She hasn't returned it for years either :lol:

Opera Ghost
May 30th, 2005, 11:54 AM
:lol:i first watched it at 6 i think,i waas freaked out
and was borrowing the movie from the video store and i went out but changed my mind,i reterned it and said to the guy i was scared of the film it will give me nightmares,the look on his face.....

Mizani
May 30th, 2005, 12:00 PM
I saw it for the first time when I was 12. I watched it once and only once. enough for me :yuck:

Opera Ghost
May 30th, 2005, 12:01 PM
i need to get mine back from my school,i need to watch it again,my that black rabbit of death was scary,and the music,and the field of blood,and the war#
i hate this shot http://img162.echo.cx/img162/7489/dog6vc.jpg

Mizani
May 30th, 2005, 12:05 PM
eeeewwwww Shenzi!!!
you didn't have to show us!!!:yuck: :eww:

va-kasi
May 30th, 2005, 12:05 PM
I think I saw it when I was 11. I'm not easily upset over blood or violence so it didn't really effect me much.

But I wasn't really expecting a "field of blood" within the first 10 minutes of the film :lol:

Opera Ghost
May 30th, 2005, 12:07 PM
yeah the field of blood was spooky
here is another one http://img162.echo.cx/img162/2010/wd132cy.jpg
sorry if you don't like these pics

va-kasi
May 30th, 2005, 12:14 PM
*L*

This is the most violent pic on my harddrive:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v96/va-kasi/102.jpg

Poor Bigwiggy!

And...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v96/va-kasi/80.jpg

My favourite character :vitsm: Blackavar! (the one who got his throat ripped out :eww:)

Opera Ghost
May 30th, 2005, 12:16 PM
http://img162.echo.cx/img162/2331/blackavar28lo.jpg
cool shots va-kasi ;)

va-kasi
May 30th, 2005, 12:22 PM
Yay Blacky! :vitsm:

And my second favourite:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v96/va-kasi/22rr.jpg

Blackberry :)

After that I have a bunch of tied favourites such as Fiver, Holly and Bigwig ;)

Opera Ghost
May 30th, 2005, 12:28 PM
I like Blackberry too:cheese:

va-kasi
May 30th, 2005, 12:30 PM
Hehe, nice banner!

Opera Ghost
May 30th, 2005, 12:31 PM
thanks,just made it as i am on watership down mode ;)

Opera Ghost
May 30th, 2005, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Lucy Lioness

Lol Shenzi Hyena! Maybe our evil rabbits were from the same family! :D [/B]
yeah i think they were :lol::lol::bleen:

More

http://img261.echo.cx/img261/1351/black9ft.jpg Blackberry :cool:

starlioness
May 31st, 2005, 05:13 AM
yay another WD thread . for such a scary movie/book it sure is dang popular. I think it's most popular in the U.K/Europe I believe...

I think the Dog at the end is one of the scariest animated animals ever! especially when Woundwart and the Dog face off.. *hides*

Opera Ghost
May 31st, 2005, 07:58 AM
yeah that dog is really scary:gasp:

Yougurt
June 8th, 2005, 02:33 PM
That is such a good movie. Love the song "Bright eyes".. And my favorite if Fiver XD
I even named my old rabbit ( which died like 3 years ago) Fiver XD

I think it is good drawn, and they really cought the movements of the rabbit and such very good.

Although the book is better than the movie XD

Kiara Serengeti
September 27th, 2005, 02:56 AM
((te search engine is mah luver ;) )))I am just beginning WATERSHIP DOWN, the book. So far I'm loving it. Somehow it reminds me of the REDWALL chronicles.

This Land
September 28th, 2005, 08:09 PM
I think watershipdown is a classic, i especially like the soundtrack to it, "bright eyes" it always catches the emotional side of me. :)

Sharifu
September 8th, 2006, 01:32 PM
Ok, I was finally able to see Watership Down yesterday.

So I was searching for the topic of this movie (because I remember a topic made for this movie) and I found three topics! I merged them all.

Anyways, I was interested in seeing this movie, after I heard Timali talking about it. Well when I met Timali this summer, one time when STM, Timali and I were at this video store in the mall, Timali found Watership Down on DVD for quite cheap. From what I remember, I think it was 4.00 ?. I couldn't decide on buying it... Just because I live in the U.S., and a PAL, Region 2 DVD wouldn't work on our DVD players... I would have to get a region free DVD player, or just watch the DVD on my laptop. (Or my dad's laptop) But I was really curious to see it after all I heard about it. But Timali just decided to buy a copy for me. :) (She bought one for herself too) I felt kind of bad she bought it for me, but she wanted to. (Thanks Timali!)

So I knew I had to watch it before I left Finland... So yesterday STM and I watched it. I did like it... But I like those dark kind of animated features. (That's why I love Gargoyles, and why it's my favorite TV show) Oh, and I like the song "Bright Eyes" too, but I've heard that song before, my mom used to listen to it. The only thing I would of liked better, is if the animation was done a little better. Like the quality that Disney or Dreamworks would do. (Well even in that time, (1978) Disney had higher quality animation) Or maybe even Don Bluth films... I think the animation was excellent and beautiful in The Secert of Nimh, (That came out in 1982) and that movie was rather dark and creppy too. (I like that moive too!) Of course, I know Disney would of never done an animated movie that dark and violent back then. But I was talking about the quality of the animation only. But still, I liked it.

I'll just have STM burn me a copy of the DVD... Since I can't watch that DVD at home, since I live in the U.S. (When he burns DVDs, that new burned copy becomes region free) Plus I would rather have a copy of his version, because it's in anamorphic widescreen, and I did some research, and the U.S. Region 1 version, is in full screen only. I hate it when they release DVDs only in full screen when it was made originally in wide screen. :mad: I really wonder why they did that, have the region 1 DVD of Watership Down is in full screen only, but the region 2 DVD is in wide screen? That's why I'm asking STM to burn me a copy of his version of Balto as well, because it's also in anamorphic wide screen, when the U.S. DVD is ONLY in full screen. (And it has better bonus features, REAL bonus features... But I'll talk about that later, in the Balto topic) ;)

Azerane
September 8th, 2006, 02:00 PM
Glad to hear you liked it Sharifu, it is a good movie. You're right that the animation could be better but it was an independant project so for what it is, the animation is quite good. Just a question, was there any particular character or scene you liked best?

Also I agree with you on the liking the dark aspect of the film, I really like that as well. If you like dark films and things I recommend the Plague Dogs, the movie kinda drags out at one part but it is really quite dark. The book also has a lot of depth in it.... but this isn't the topic for that so I'll stop there :p

Sharifu
September 8th, 2006, 05:08 PM
Ah ok... I didn't know it was an independant project. That makes sense. I never even heard about this movie until say, a year or two ago. Kind of strange for a movie that's almost 30 years old.

I'm not sure what scene I liked the best, probably the part where the "Bright Eyes" song plays. And I thought the begining, was a good way of explaining how the rabbit got so many enemies.

But I'll need to see it again sometime.

Azerane
May 24th, 2011, 03:50 PM
I wasn't sure where to post this, because it's obviously films and literature, but I'm also kinda (ok, I'll admit, mainly) advertising the forum I'm building :p

http://watership-down.proboards.com/index.cgi

It's a work in progress, and any feedback would be great. I've added a second theme which still has a colour kink or two, and have started adding smilies (though I need to dig out my dvd to finish those) and who knows if it will actually get off the ground. But just the past couple of days I've felt a renewed interest in the fandom and had a sudden desire to try my hand at forum building.

So there it is. Otherwise, feel free to simply discuss the book/movie/series here at your leisure :p

s-tlk
May 24th, 2011, 09:22 PM
That's very funny, though that you came up with this now. xD
At the moment I'm in Abingdon on a business trip to RAL and on Thursday I'm leaving heading for Kingsclere, which is only a few clicks from Waterhsip Down away. I always wanted to visit it, but seeing it now came actually true is... somehow weird. The best thing is I even got at least the travel paid and I don't suppose I would go, when my job isn't taken me here in this region. Unfortunately the weather won't be so good on Thursday. :-(

So, in other words, yes I really like both books, the movie and series, but the last two not so much, although the first part of the series was really okay, when they at least tried to follow the storyline of the book. Nevertheless, it's a good idea to bring some new life in this quite dead community.

Shadow
May 24th, 2011, 09:23 PM
hmm never read the books watched the movie real scary as a child, but now adult, its not that scary "but still gorey ofoucrse" but its just overall alot more....worse

so i gota read the books i guess!. dont think il join the forum though sorry got enough on my plate forumwise xP

Sombolia
May 24th, 2011, 11:24 PM
I've read some of the book, but I didn't finish it because I got distracted from all sorts of other things... but I've seen the movie and it's very good. I personally prefer Plague Dogs, however (that one brought out the waterworks...).

Wide Eyed Wanderer
May 24th, 2011, 11:32 PM
One of my earliest books...scary as hell.
:lol:

Azerane
May 25th, 2011, 01:28 AM
Mmm, i love Plague Dogs too, Richard Adams is amazing in that regard, so many good books. And yeah, Watership Down isn't really meant for very young kids, I know a few that it's scared :p Still, I love how much detail and culture is given to the rabbits in the book, it's very gripping. The movie also has its own charms, it's fun seeing the characters brought to life.

s-tlk, that's pretty exciting that you could go to the real place, I've heard of quite a few fans that have. You'll have to share some pics if you do ;)

Azerane
June 6th, 2011, 05:49 AM
Sorry for double-posting, but I'm wondering, did you get a chance to stop by the real place yet s-tlk? I'm waiting in anticipation :cheese:

Also, Somby, you should try reading the book again :p I think one of the things I like most about the book is that it's not just a story of rabbits, they have their own beliefs so to speak and culture along with language which isn't explored in huge detail, but there is enough of it for it to be believable rather than just an odd word scattered throughout the book. The connections between different words make sense. Plus, there's just some really cool characters. I particularly love Bigwig, he's got some great lines. I think Richard Adams just wrote so convincingly in terms of the characters.

s-tlk
June 6th, 2011, 09:30 AM
Yes, I was there and although the weather was really bad, I make some pictures. I went through rain and storm, master all kinds of natural and man-made obstacles, but finally, when I arrive at the downs, the sun came (http://s-tlk.org/stuff/Pictures/England-27.05.11/WD/down_came_into_sight.png) out...partially at least. But first it was one rain shower after another, so the overview (http://s-tlk.org/stuff/Pictures/England-27.05.11/WD/down2.png) from the downs was really cloudy. Now the top (http://s-tlk.org/stuff/Pictures/England-27.05.11/WD/down.png) in more detail. On the top you might think you can see over the world: A view from the hill (http://s-tlk.org/stuff/Pictures/England-27.05.11/WD/view.png).What you see in the background is, btw New forest, the template of the forests in the Warriors series. ;-)
One nice thing about the clouds was, that you can observe nice light and shadow (http://s-tlk.org/stuff/Pictures/England-27.05.11/WD/view3.png) playings on the bottom, as well in this picture (http://s-tlk.org/stuff/Pictures/England-27.05.11/WD/view4.png). What really astonished me. was the trees (http://s-tlk.org/stuff/Pictures/England-27.05.11/WD/trees.png) on top of the hill, exactly as described in the book, although there are more than one now, but I guess the other could have grown in 40 years. :-)
Some broken tree stump is there as place to sit. A really nice place to think and at the same time you have a wonderful view over the countryside: http://s-tlk.org/stuff/Pictures/England-27.05.11/WD/view2.png

Further I visit and made a picture of the Nuthanger farm (http://s-tlk.org/stuff/Pictures/England-27.05.11/WD/nuthanger.png), but it's private property, so I didn't enter it. Unfortunately one day wasn't nearly enough to visit all places from the book. I would gladly looked at Efrara, or at least where its suppose to be, the river Test and try finding the old Sandleford warren.

But after all, the trip was worth the travel and I think I will go there again and catch up the places I couldn't visit at that day.
Here are the rest of the pictures: http://s-tlk.org/stuff/Pictures/England-27.05.11/WD/

Azerane
June 6th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Oh wow... =D That is absolutely amazing! It's so beautiful and so perfect. The scenery from the movie looks just like it, except your photos are so beautiful. I particularly love the 3rd image of the down from a distance.

I also love the views from the down of the patchwork of fields. It's absolutely stunning scenery. Thank you so much for sharing your images! It really helps bring the place to life. The layout of Nuthanger farm seems like it was well represented in the film too. Is that rise in the background of your first two images of cannon heath the down?

I can't get over how beautiful it is. I'm very jealous :p Looks like you got a fantastic break in the weather for your trip though with a bit of sun peeking through. It really is beautiful, a wonderful place and I can see why Adams set the main part of his story there. Thank you so much again for sharing. It would be amazing to see the other locations too, hopefully you get to make another trip there someday :)

Sombolia
June 6th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Also, Somby, you should try reading the book again :p I think one of the things I like most about the book is that it's not just a story of rabbits, they have their own beliefs so to speak and culture along with language which isn't explored in huge detail, but there is enough of it for it to be believable rather than just an odd word scattered throughout the book. The connections between different words make sense. Plus, there's just some really cool characters. I particularly love Bigwig, he's got some great lines. I think Richard Adams just wrote so convincingly in terms of the characters.

I'm going to try to soon. I'll probably pack it in my carry on for the plane to Germany, it's a long trip with a long layover so I should be able to get some quality reading time in.
:kiss:

s-tlk, those pictures are completely gorgeous! Just how I pictured everything. Incredible.

Lucy
June 6th, 2011, 10:06 PM
I remember reading the book as a kid, and I've seen the movie a bunch of times. I even own it still. The movie's probably the most violent family movie I've ever seen. They can't even really show blood on tv before a certain time (I'm looking at you, Doctor Who and Merlin, lol) yet this movie is rated Universal and it's so gory. I love it, but I was constantly upset by what happened to Hyzenthlay and Blackavar, and all the rabbits from Woundwort's warren in general. Also Bigwig for the win, he was always my favourite.

I even named my rabbit Hazel (even though she was a girl and kind of a demon. She ended up being the complete opposite of the Hazel in the books, lol).

Aurelian
June 7th, 2011, 03:36 PM
I read and enjoyed both books, but I actually couldn't watch the film. The art style(very watercolory) bothered my eyes.

Safila
June 8th, 2011, 04:15 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MODq81_cDKI Everyone's fav song =D

Azerane
June 8th, 2011, 04:40 AM
I remember reading the book as a kid, and I've seen the movie a bunch of times. I even own it still. The movie's probably the most violent family movie I've ever seen. They can't even really show blood on tv before a certain time (I'm looking at you, Doctor Who and Merlin, lol) yet this movie is rated Universal and it's so gory. I love it, but I was constantly upset by what happened to Hyzenthlay and Blackavar, and all the rabbits from Woundwort's warren in general. Also Bigwig for the win, he was always my favourite.

I even named my rabbit Hazel (even though she was a girl and kind of a demon. She ended up being the complete opposite of the Hazel in the books, lol).

Yes, I would never call Watership Down a family movie. I know I watched it when I was very young, I think it was just after Simba's Pride came out, I wanted to borrow it from the video store, but dad told me not to because I'd already seen it :blah: so I picked up watership down instead, bunnies! :p It didn't scare me, but I remember it being very compelling, and perhaps I didn't completely understand it. But it's definitely too scary for for very young kids.

I called my rabbit Hazel-rah too, though to most people who asked I would just say Hazel (because they wouldn't get the 'rah' bit) and then they would always complain that Hazel was a girls' name but my rabbit was a boy... :woe:

I read and enjoyed both books, but I actually couldn't watch the film. The art style(very watercolory) bothered my eyes.

That's really strange... is it because the watercolour images are soft. Sometimes I find it harder to look at images that aren't crisp, because your eyes are straining to focus them more clearly? Glad you enjoyed the books though :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MODq81_cDKI Everyone's fav song =D

Love that song, it's so beautiful and very moving. The only thing I don't like about the sequence in the film (which isn't what's shown on the video) is that when the stylised image of Hazel is spinning over and over, it morphs into a tree, but it always makes me think of those damn car airfresheners. If you go to 1:35 of this video, you'll see what I mean :p http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkirtbpz5h4 Also, I started watching that video and I was tearing up, because of what blackberry says, and then how Fiver believes that he's not dead... man, I'm lame :lol:

Lucy
June 8th, 2011, 11:46 AM
I called my rabbit Hazel-rah too, though to most people who asked I would just say Hazel (because they wouldn't get the 'rah' bit) and then they would always complain that Hazel was a girls' name but my rabbit was a boy... :woe:

I love that you called him Hazel-rah. It's awesome :) Sucks for them that they didn't understand the reference :p

I actually nearly didn't call my rabbit Hazel because she was female. Back then I thought it was a boy's name, because it was the only place I'd heard it, lol. But I went with Hazel anyway, because Hyzenthlay really would have confused everyone.

Sombolia
June 8th, 2011, 12:05 PM
I've heard of a lot of people that have been fairly traumatized by seeing this movie at a young age :lol: I don't think it's too bad but it's definitely not a kids movie. I know in stores they often place it in the children's section just because it's animated... that happens with a lot of anime too, even the ones that would be rated PG-13 or R -_- People need to do some research heh.

"All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you."
Ooh, that line always gives me chills.

Azerane
June 8th, 2011, 02:24 PM
I love that you called him Hazel-rah. It's awesome :) Sucks for them that they didn't understand the reference :p

I actually nearly didn't call my rabbit Hazel because she was female. Back then I thought it was a boy's name, because it was the only place I'd heard it, lol. But I went with Hazel anyway, because Hyzenthlay really would have confused everyone.

I used to think it was a guys name too :p I was actually tossing up between Hazel-rah and Blackberry, and was leaning towards the latter (as he was white with black spots so it suited better) but my one friend was determined I should call him Hazel-rah. But then it just confused everybody and I had to keep explaining it. Haha, I can just imagine the looks you would get with Hyzenthlay though... @the vets office: So err... how do you spell that? XD

I've heard of a lot of people that have been fairly traumatized by seeing this movie at a young age :lol: I don't think it's too bad but it's definitely not a kids movie. I know in stores they often place it in the children's section just because it's animated... that happens with a lot of anime too, even the ones that would be rated PG-13 or R -_- People need to do some research heh.

"All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you."
Ooh, that line always gives me chills.

My friends' brother, who is 27-ish, refuses to watch the movie because he was so scared by it when he was younger. I just think he's a big chicken. :p It is creepy though, I think the part that is most so is when Captain Holly is describing what happened to the rabbits at the home Warren when the men came and gassed them. The purple rabbit heads with bright red eyes gasping for air is a little disturbing.

I love that line as well :D Both the book and the movie, the book has a more expanded version: "El-ahrairah, your people cannot rule the world, for I will not have it so. All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed." :cheese:

s-tlk
August 20th, 2014, 09:07 PM
From time to time I need to go to Oxford and London, which is of course close to Watership Down and this time I couldn't resists to also visit the other places, like the river Test or Efrafa (had a car this time ^^). But the most excited part is still Watership Down, not only because it's Watership Down, but also it is indeed a beautiful place for hiking and this time I managed to get a nice one from the foot of the hill:

http://www.s-tlk.org/misc/watership_down-05.2014/watership_down_distance.png

The rest of the pictures are here: http://www.s-tlk.org/index.php?id=11&subid=2&lang=en&site=misc-watership-down_may-2014
I'm working on a tour guide with different tracks and some good hotels around but this will need some time.

cleargreenwater
August 21st, 2014, 01:53 AM
Oh no way, it never dawned on me before that it's a real place :o

Azerane
August 21st, 2014, 05:15 AM
Absolutely gorgeous images. I'm so glad to see that it's still there and hasn't been developed as was proposed a couple of years ago. I must say that I am very jealous!

s-tlk
August 26th, 2014, 07:59 PM
It's a really nice place, you should try paying it a visit. ;-)

Watership Down is owned by a private person (afair), so it cannot not be "destroyed" in that sense. What you mean is I think the new extensive building plans for Newbury, which will most likely include the old Sandleford home, so maybe Fiver's vision actually becomes real. :-/

s-tlk
August 28th, 2014, 10:28 PM
Sorry for the double post, but maybe some are interesting in this:
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a583284/watership-down-to-return-as-new-bbc-animated-series.html#~oOh3xbOecRB14Q

The BBC may produce a new series of Watership Down like the one from 1999, which was not very successful, though. But I admit I liked it very much, in spite of their flaws. I hope this time they start the series at the beginning and not in the middle of events, which I think confused many people.
For some time there were also some rumors about a new CGI remake of the movie, but you can hardly find any information anymore, so maybe they replaced it with this series. However it still needs to be confirmed.

Azerane
August 28th, 2014, 11:24 PM
I think a CGI Watership Down would have been bad :p I do remember rumors of that a long time ago though. As for the series, I just accepted it for what it was, it was a typical kids series with overdone voice acting, poor animation and badly designed bunnies, that being said, I did enjoy a lot of aspects about the series, and Campion is one of my favourite series characters. This is the first news I've heard of a new series, and it sounds more like adapting the film story into a series, although I'd prefer they used the book.

It's a tough thing to do though, because most cartoon tv series are associated with kids, but WD isn't really a kids story, so who knows how they'll target it if it does end up being made.

s-tlk
April 8th, 2015, 09:07 PM
There is finally some news on the CGI remake:
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/cgi/bbc-plans-to-improve-watership-down-with-cgi-2-110217.html

But they are spreading so many small snippets about this remake, that I start doubting that we will ever see something. With the new technology there is of course potential for an worth-watching relaunch.

KanuTGL
April 9th, 2015, 10:02 AM
"BBC Plans To Improve ‘Watership Down’ With CGI"

Oh my god, that headline. Makes my blood boil. CGI does not equal improvement! :roar: If the entertainment industry could get this through their thick skulls soon I would be quite pleased >_>

On the topic itself though, I'm really not sure if I would be interested in a remake - it wouldn't be nearly as dark as the original, that I am certain of.

cleargreenwater
April 14th, 2015, 11:52 AM
I have decided that every time one of these remake things surface & loom, that I am just going to ignore it and pretend it isn't there, because half of them I've heard of have disappeared into nothing as they aught.

Guntur
March 22nd, 2016, 12:42 PM
I don't see why we need a 3d remake in the first place? I find that the original movie is generally critically acclaim, have a wonderful animation and have a cult following. I don't know why do we need to spoil it.

s-tlk
May 9th, 2016, 05:46 PM
No it's getting really serious and official:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2016/watership-down-casting

The remake will be a co-production between BBC and Netflix consisting of 4x 60 minutes long episodes. When they more stick to the storyline of the book and the CGI animation is acceptable, I don't see why it can't become very popular.

Azerane
May 10th, 2016, 09:37 AM
No it's getting really serious and official:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2016/watership-down-casting

The remake will be a co-production between BBC and Netflix consisting of 4x 60 minutes long episodes. When they more stick to the storyline of the book and the CGI animation is acceptable, I don't see why it can't become very popular.

Yes, I started a new thread on that here about a week ago: http://leahalalela.net/showthread.php?6291-New-Watership-Down-miniseries!

Very exciting :D

nathalie
August 27th, 2016, 09:35 AM
That's a beautiful picture!

I have yet to see this ... I really should. Starting to get really intregued with what it really is.

Azerane
December 28th, 2016, 08:40 AM
Richard Adams, author of Watership Down passed away a few days ago on Christmas Eve. He was 96. :( Super sad, he was such an inspiration.

"My heart has joined the Thousand, for my friend stopped running today"

cleargreenwater
December 28th, 2016, 01:04 PM
His daughter's statement was so sweet, I teared up a little at work. R.I.P. Richard Adams, you were truly an inspiration that sometimes a person's life work can come later in life from humble beginnings. You created a world so many people needed and took to, I always felt it as rich and detailed as JRR Tolkien's. Thank you.