PDA

View Full Version : The Rescuers

Hakuna Matata
November 30th, 2007, 02:40 PM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000096IAI.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

You know what, this is actually a great movie. What makes me sad is that controversy over the image of a naked woman inserted into two of the frames (http://snopes.com/disney/graphics/resc1big.jpg), which pretty much ruined this film and it's success. Even now, Disney tend to isolate it from their more mainstream movies.

The first thing that struck me was the animation. It looks simply divine. It's so beautiful, sharp, clean, detailed, and complex (very complex). Possibly the greatest animation for a '70's film (it also has a very retro look and style).

Like pretty much all Disney films up until the 21st century, there is a fantastic plot and some emotion too. Apart from some of it's controversies, it's just an innocent film in a lot of respects.

http://www.mpimages.net/mp/compressed/promotional/RESCUERS-Photo164a_346c.jpg

Hakuna Matata
November 30th, 2007, 02:45 PM
If you are easily offended, please do not scroll down.

The Rescuers

On January 8, 1999, three days after the film's second release on home video on January 5, the Walt Disney Company announced a recall of about 3.4 million copies of the videotapes because there was "something dirty in The Rescuers" that was not meant to be there.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/bf/Rescuers_Topless_Woman.jpg

"The "something" in question is a blurry image of an unidentified topless woman that appears in two out of the film's more than 10,000 frames. The image appears twice in nonconsecutive frames during the scene in which Miss Bianca and Bernard fly on the back of Orville through New York City. The image is impossible to see at regular speed because the scene goes by too fast. Unlike a number of other urban legends surrounding Disney films such as Aladdin, The Lion King and The Little Mermaid, this one was undeniably true.

http://snopes.com/disney/graphics/resc2.jpg
http://snopes.com/disney/graphics/resc1big.jpg

Though the origin of this has never been known or explained, there have been several unconfirmed theories about it:
One of the theories is that the film was expected to be a success even before entering theaters. It is believed that someone during the post-production of The Rescuers inserted the offending image in order to sabotage the success of the film.
Another theory involves the Walt Disney Company purposely inserting the image for the film's 1999 VHS release only with the intention of announcing a recall shortly after, thus boosting the video's sales. The Walt Disney Company denied the accusation; The Rescuers had always sold decently on home video formats while many other Disney video products were far less successful and never had the company attempted to boost their sales through this method.The source of the image also remains unknown and whatever the correct theory may be, The Rescuers was reissued on video on March 23, 1999 with the offending image edited out, "to keep the promise to families that they may trust the Disney products", as the company stated.

The film's reputation suffered because of this incident; after this, the film has been carefully kept apart from the mainstream of Disney Classics upsetting many fans. The film was the last of the Disney animated classics released at the time to be announced for a DVD release. On May 20, 2003, the new DVD release, which reused the 1999 VHS cover was quietly released on DVD format to store shelves with no more publicity than the standard press release. The 2003 DVD edition was criticized as lackluster and of poor quality by fans, collectors and regular consumers, though nothing official has been stated, there has been evidence that the Walt Disney Company's marketing department is considering a "Masterpiece" or "Special" edition of the film for later in 2007.

Other minor issues regarding the 1977 film, The Rescuers, include being avoided in some schools and day-care centers because of the film's repeated use of the word "devil", which some teachers and caretakers found slightly offensive and inappropriate for very young children (the same occurred with Disney's 1961 animated film One Hundred and One Dalmatians); as well as scary images of skeletons, cracking craniums and loud shotgun noises."

More information: http://snopes.com/disney/films/rescuers.asp

imported_kiara
November 30th, 2007, 03:02 PM
zomg :gasp:

i never liked this movie XD

Hakuna Matata
November 30th, 2007, 03:10 PM
I don't particularly care for the first few scenes, and even the one which features the topless lady's debut. But when they start to focus more on the girl and that evil lady (who is absolutely great), that's when the film really starts to shine. But I can see why it's not for everyone.

They need to re-release it on DVD, because the 2003 DVD was utter rubbish. For starters, the DVD cover was recycled from the VHS edition, there's no audio commentary or anything, and there was only one special feature that was actually relevant to The Rescuers, the other was a 1920's cartoon called 'The Three Blind Mouseketeers' that had absolutely nothing to do with The Rescuers whatsoever, and my guess is, they only included it because they wanted more people to buy the DVD.

nathalie
November 30th, 2007, 03:16 PM
I have it on DVD, that scene was already cut out then wasn't it?

Can't remember, hehe.

Didn't think it was bad, but not one of my favorites eather.

Hakuna Matata
November 30th, 2007, 03:20 PM
The things it said about 'scary images of skeletons, repeated use of the word devil, cracking craniums and loud shotgun noises' was a huge overstatement.

Whenever someone said 'devil' in the movie, they weren't saying it in an evil way, they were just calling 'The Devil's Eye' crystal by it's name. As for loud shotgun noises....well, they're loud shotgun noises. Not all that scary, but maybe for children. And I personally don't recall any cracking of craniums or scary images of skeletons.

I have it on DVD, that scene was already cut out then wasn't it?
Yep, they edited out the offending image back when they released the 1999 VHS edition, because I slowed down the infamous scene really, really, really slow, and I couldn't see it at all.

I know someone who owns the original VHS with the scene still intact.

TX-101
November 30th, 2007, 09:36 PM
I saw theese rumours before. But when i went to check it if it's true in my old collection... What i checked I've noticed that all was just a lie to make the disney look bad. I havent cheched everything but i belive much of the other crap are lies and pranks as well.

imported_kiara
November 30th, 2007, 10:03 PM
i have the original VHS .. i could try look, buuut .. i dunno about this, is it really true it actually was a piccie like that in these 2 frames? :confused:

nathalie
November 30th, 2007, 10:05 PM
1 way to found out then ;)

imported_kiara
November 30th, 2007, 10:09 PM
yea, but kinda doubt i will find something anyway (on crappy quality and crappy VHS i just remember is on attic now x.x and cuz i cant play movie that slow)

Lucy Lioness
November 30th, 2007, 10:11 PM
I loved this movie when I was a little girl. I still do, it's nostalgic..kind of comforting really. And Bernard is awesome.

The song at the beginning still makes me tear up. I'm such a dork.

:D

Hakuna Matata
November 30th, 2007, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by kiara
is it really true it actually was a piccie like that in these 2 frames? :confused:
Yep. Unlike many other controversies to do with The Lion King, The Little Mermaid, and Aladdin, this one was actually true. The person I know who has the original VHS says that they can actually see it if they slow it down. But it is extremely hard to see as they're two non-consecutive frames.

imported_kiara
November 30th, 2007, 10:56 PM
i guess ill go dig out the VHS then :D

FCSimba
December 5th, 2007, 06:46 AM
HAHA :lol: I actually knew about that one! But that movie was never my favorite...I actually liked The Rescuers: Down Under WAY better.

"Joanna...did you know, there was a razorback in my truck? Did ya? Did ya, HUH!?"

*giggles uncontrollably* That lizard MADE the movie. :lol:

Excuse the semi-offtopic'ness! :jejeje:

Guntur
December 5th, 2007, 07:03 AM
IMO The Rescuers: Down Under are way better than the original, Actually on of the best sequel ever made by Disney

FCSimba
December 5th, 2007, 07:53 AM
So agrees with Wacky Zacky (aka Fendi) ;)

King Simba
December 5th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by FCSimba
"Joanna...did you know, there was a razorback in my truck? Did ya? Did ya, HUH!?"

*giggles uncontrollably* That lizard MADE the movie. :lol:
:lol: That's what I liked about it too, but this (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xPgTj46X5tg ) part makes me laugh...

"These are NOT Joanna eggs!" XD

The Rescuers was ok I think. I liked the characters and the storyline. I think I prefer the sequel to the original though. For some reason I just enjoy it more and it really gets me to sit down and watch the whole thing over and over, whereas The Rescuers doesn't for some reason.

Shadow
December 5th, 2007, 10:07 AM
ohhh this move is azsome! i never figured the english name for it sense well i didnt really care cuse i was so little xP

i love it though Banard and Bnajka i got this on VHS weeee brings back memories! i love the landing sequines when hes "to big" to land heheh truley and amazing movie and with my childhood dearly x3

Whoa i had no idea abut that "naked woman" HM "Hakuna Matatta" i wounder if its on my super old VHS...i doupt it though sense its swedish and prob edited out long long before it got here

anyway thanks for shareing the infrotmation thats quite intresting ya know myself think it would be sabotage :evilgrin:

Sharifu
December 5th, 2007, 11:20 AM
I think The Rescuers Down Under is a lot better then the original too... I loved the beautiful eagle... Watching the movie again a few years ago after not seeing it for many many years since I was a little girl, the beginning when the boy is with the eagle almost made me cry... Kind of cheesy I know... But it's so sweet and I have a soft spot for birds... I love birds and I have raised birds all my life...

Hakuna Matata
December 5th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Just some helpful advice: if you're a fan of The Rescuers, do not buy the 2003 DVD release. It's a waste of money, honestly.

Originally posted by shadow
Whoa i had no idea abut that "naked woman" HM "Hakuna Matatta" i wounder if its on my super old VHS...i doupt it though sense its swedish and prob edited out long long before it got here
The image of the naked woman, from my recollection, was intact for the original VHS and Laserdisc release on September 18, 1992, and the January 5, 1999 release -- which was when people discovered it, and the DVD release lasted a mere 3 days before Disney announced all copies of it to be recalled.

I find the whole thing fascinating, personally.

imported_kiara
December 5th, 2007, 12:59 PM
fascinating indeed XD

LunarCat
December 5th, 2007, 11:18 PM
I'm pretty sure that controversy is true, but i really don't think it had an affect on the success of the movie at all....it's extremely hard to see...

this movie is alright, great concept, and a very well designed villain. however, i'm a little bit more partial to Rescuers down under

FCSimba
December 6th, 2007, 02:07 AM
Tara: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!! That is my FAVORITE part of the WHOLE movie! :lol::cheese:

Ahhh I just couldn't figure out how to explain it without using a big beefy paragraph...Thanks for the clip!*Saves it to computer* I'll probably be watching this the rest of the night! ;)

Sharifu: Yeahhhh I love the Eagle...=) It's so cute and soft looking and I love the noises it makes! Birds are amazing creatures.

But yeah, it's only a blip on the screen--I only noticed it when someone pointed it out.

Hakuna Matata
December 6th, 2007, 05:31 AM
Originally posted by Lunarcat
I'm pretty sure that controversy is true, but i really don't think it had an affect on the success of the movie at all....it's extremely hard to see...
Aye, it is. But it is a naked lady....and this is a Disney movie.