PDA

View Full Version : When Are Disney Bringing The Lion King "out of the Vault"?

Hakuna Matata
November 28th, 2007, 10:34 AM
Does anyone know when Disney are going to bring The Lion King DVD out of the Vault? I've been searching for The Lion King on DVD for about a year.

nathalie
November 28th, 2007, 10:35 AM
If you look good in stores (or websites) ...

Disney is trying to release each classic again every 7 - 9 years.

Sharifu
November 28th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Well... You are a little late, I mean it just came out in the end of 2003 and was out for a little over a year. (Right?) I don't know when TLK will be released again... But you could try Ebay. Good luck. :p

Hakuna Matata
November 28th, 2007, 11:02 AM
Thanks. Yeah, I'll try eBay.

Kopa
November 28th, 2007, 11:10 AM
You know I could be 100% wrong but I've been hearing lately that The Lion King is going to be released on Blu-Ray which would be totally awesome but like I said.....I could be wrong :confused:

TX-101
November 28th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Download it. If It's not there, it doesent exists.

Sharifu
November 28th, 2007, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Kopa
You know I could be 100% wrong but I've been hearing lately that The Lion King is going to be released on Blu-Ray which would be totally awesome but like I said.....I could be wrong :confused:

This was posted at http://lionking.org/

"12/11/2006 - TLK on Blu-Ray Sooner than Later?
Ryan R. reports that on the new Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest DVD, there's a preview of upcoming Blu-Ray releases of Disney classics such as Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, National Treasure, and (third on the list) The Lion King.

This is interesting news for early adopters, particularly those who have gone the HD-DVD route rather than Blu-Ray; evidently Disney has thrown in its lot with the Sony/Samsung consortium and decided to back the technically superior but (possibly) less well-supported Blu-Ray. We shall see how it plays out, but Sony's track record with storage media formats is not good..."

Tiikeri
November 28th, 2007, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Sharifu
Well... You are a little late, I mean it just came out in the end of 2003 and was out for a little over a year. (Right?) I don't know when TLK will be released again... But you could try Ebay. Good luck. :p
Well I found Leijonakuningas in Finland in January last year :P It took me and STM ages though :P

I agree with that though, eBay is probably your best shot HM.

There's a Yorkshire phrase that goes: "Tha canst bai owt on t'interclick" I think it's appropriate xD

This Land
November 28th, 2007, 08:21 PM
amazon still sell it

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lion-Special-Jonathan-Taylor-Thomas/dp/B0000AOWLW/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1196280932&sr=8-1

pretty pricey though ><

I bought the Special TLK Trilogy Box ,5 disk set for ?50 a year ago, now thats went up to ?85. prices are getting higher.

cheapest i see for tlk on ebay (buy it now) is ?29. you may get it a little chepaer if you bid for it though

Dare
November 28th, 2007, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by This land
amazon still sell it

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lion-Special-Jonathan-Taylor-Thomas/dp/B0000AOWLW/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1196280932&sr=8-1

pretty pricey though ><

I bought the Special TLK Trilogy Box ,5 disk set for ?50 a year ago, now thats went up to ?85. prices are getting higher.

cheapest i see for tlk on ebay (buy it now) is ?29. you may get it a little chepaer if you bid for it though

The US Amazon.com has used copies starting at $23 or so. With shipping, the total would be around $24.

Personally, I'd wait for them to re-release it, seeing as how it'd probably cost upwards of $25 new.

Hakuna Matata
November 28th, 2007, 08:45 PM
What exactly is HD-DVD and Blu-Ray?

This Land
November 28th, 2007, 09:17 PM
High defination Quality.

better image quailty and another method of ripping you off in money ...... my opinon :D

Hakuna Matata
November 28th, 2007, 09:23 PM
I'm going to wait until they release it on HD-DVD or Blu-Ray.

Because The Lion King is just one of those films you need to see in the best quality possible.

Do you have to have a certain thing to play HD-DVD or Blu-Ray DVDs? Could I play it on my PS2, or just a Sony DVD player?

Thanks. :D

Kopa
November 28th, 2007, 09:32 PM
High defination Quality.

better image quailty and another method of ripping you off in money ...... my opinon :D

:emo: I couldn't have said it better myself =P

This Land
November 28th, 2007, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Hakuna Matata
I'm going to wait until they release it on HD-DVD or Blu-Ray.

Because The Lion King is just one of those films you need to see in the best quality possible.

Do you have to have a certain thing to play HD-DVD or Blu-Ray DVDs? Could I play it on my PS2, or just a Sony DVD player?

Thanks. :D

Nope.

TLK on dvd is superb quality, and when it comes to 2d colour animation, you can only go up to a certain boundry of quality image. (hence it being on blu ray or hd dvd a complete rip off).Only way you will be able to see the quality diiference on Blu-ray or HD dvd,(if any) is if you have a big TV which is HD enabled (more money)

if its HD DVD, you need a HD DVD Player (ps2, xbox will not work) (more money)

If its Blueray you need a ps3 or a Blu Ray DVD player. and yes They are very expensive. (even more money)

This website will help you......

http://www.oceanfinance.co.uk/

Hakuna Matata
November 28th, 2007, 09:48 PM
Thanks. I'll guess I'll just stick to the normal DVD when it comes out.

This Land
November 28th, 2007, 09:50 PM
I would buy the normal DVD now off ebay or amazon, because the dvd is getting rarer and the prices are only going to get higher ><.

Tiikeri
November 28th, 2007, 10:13 PM
TLK on dvd is superb quality, and when it comes to 2d colour animation, you can only go up to a certain boundry of quality image. (hence it being on blu ray or hd dvd a complete rip off).Only way you will be able to see the quality diiference on Blu-ray or HD dvd,(if any) is if you have a big TV which is HD enabled (more money)
To a T basically.

If you have a DVD, the only way to get better quality is to get an HD ready TV...the DVD is perfectly adequate.

Blu-Ray and HDDVD are made for movies with huge graphical effects like The Day After Tomorrow for example where a lot of high intensity CGI is used. But like Adam said, with 2D animation...it's somewhat pointless releasing it onto Blu-Ray/HDDVD since 2D animation can't be made into a better image than it currently is on DVD.

So if you want to spend some money to watch your TLK DVD with a better quality...buy a 50" HD ready LCD TV with Dolby 5.1 Home Cinema sound >)

...or something similar.

nathalie
November 29th, 2007, 08:33 AM
The only reason I'd buy TLK on blu-ray or HD-DVD, is just to "have" for in the collection, haha.

Other then that, I'll stick to DVD as long as I can.

They all money-hungry *grrr*

TX-101
November 29th, 2007, 12:11 PM
LOL. That's the only reason you would buy it? My reason would be becouse i wouldn't know what to do with money. And even then i would never let down my friend called Download.

nathalie
November 29th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Oh no, anything Disney and *especially* TLK is original for me ^^

And since I collect TLK, I'll probably buy those when they come out, even though I couldn't watch them.

But hey, my laserdisc box is lying here too and I can't watch it, haha.

Simba_2004
November 30th, 2007, 03:47 AM
for those who keep saying that Blu-Ray is a rip off, try watching a movie on a normal dvd and then watch the blu-ray version, if you can not see the difference, then get some glasses. IMHO Blu-Ray is kicking HD-DVDs butt right now with quality, HD-DVD is 1080i while Blu-Ray is 1080p AND Disney is exclusive to Blu-Ray right now, Lion King will not be on HD-DVD. If they do release it on Blu-Ray I will be first in line but right now for a 2d animation movie the dvd is perfectly fine and I don't see how they can make the image any better. I love Blu-Ray movies, watching Planet Earth on my HDTV is breath taking :cheese:, buying the series in Blu-Ray was WELL WORTH the money!!! :evilgrin:

Hakuna Matata
November 30th, 2007, 05:09 AM
If it's The Lion King, and I'm guaranteed excellent audio and visual quality, then I'd pay $100 dollars for it if I had to.

Simba_2004
November 30th, 2007, 05:15 AM
get the dts version of the TLK dvd, I got that for my brother and it doesn't dissapoint ;)

This Land
November 30th, 2007, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by Hakuna Matata
If it's The Lion King, and I'm guaranteed excellent audio and visual quality, then I'd pay $100 dollars for it if I had to.

Garunteed with dvd ;).

And Simba 04, Some people dont have as much money as you to buy a HDTV , player and films, just to watch a film in higher quiality...
I will be quite happy buying the whole series of Planet Earth which is on sale for ?9.50 on DVD. Or Short Cicuit for ?3 and i think thats perfectly fine for me :D

nathalie
November 30th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Short circuit, was indeed 5 ? (which is about 3 ?) 'cause I have it, hehe.

Simba_2004
November 30th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Garunteed with dvd ;).

And Simba 04, Some people dont have as much money as you to buy a HDTV , player and films, just to watch a film in higher quiality...

I don't have the money either :idiot:, bought mine a couple years ago when I did have the money ;)

the price of HDTVs has dropped drastically over the past few years and next year with 1080p being the new format I suspect that the 720p tvs will be only a couple hundreds dollars

Shadow
December 1st, 2007, 12:43 PM
on blue ray weeeeee! this is comment on the first post" I gota get it!!

Roku
January 9th, 2008, 08:47 PM
My question is WHY do they put the movies IN the vault in the first place? It's like you can't buy the most classic movies anymore...Beauty and the Beast, Lion King, Aladdin...they should be available 100% of the time for everyone...

Simba_2004
January 10th, 2008, 04:09 AM
studies show that when a product is taken away from the consumer for awhile and it is brought back after some time, the consumer will want it more than if it has been on the market for awhile.....welcome to the world of business ;)

2 Die FR
January 15th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Hehe, I delight in poking fun at the oh-so-mysterious Disney Vault.

Pff. :idiot: :p

I just saw a commercial for the Cinderella movies (the original and two sequels), which endeavored to convince me to "get them before they disappear!" at the end of this month. :hehe: We all know that the "excuse" that the classic Cinderella and Cinderella II came out of the Vault in the first place was to release the new Cinderella III and tell everybody, "Hey, complete your Cinderella collection and replace your old VHS copies with DVD!"

(Of course, the new spin is Blu-Ray; I'll get to that in a minute.)

The same exact thing happened many times before: Mulan was re-released when Mulan II debuted; Bambi coincided with the unveiling of Bambi II; and depending on your nationality, you reached for either "1 1/2" or "3" when TLK platinum edition showed up, along with "II" thrown in for good measure.

The timing of Vault comings and goings are just long enough for people to "forget" the films they added to their collection so that Disney can make big fanfare with the next release and convince you that you need a new one - along with this new sequel we just made. (As a college student, this sounds all too familiar with buying textbooks.)

Now, Cinderella III is allegedly the last of the seemingly endless supply of sequels and spinoffs. So isn't it clever that Disney jumped on the Blu-Ray bandwagon - a brand new excuse for us to start our collection all over again.

The recent release of Cars in Blu-Ray has extras and interactive features found nowhere else. (so that's why the DVD version was just 1-disc!) When the Blu-Ray release of TLK rolls around, I'll be interested to know what kind of marketing ploys and bonus features will surround it to "convince" me to buy it.

Simba_2004
January 15th, 2008, 09:25 PM
I'd buy it on blu-ray either way ;)

Daniel
January 15th, 2008, 09:39 PM
I'd so buy TLK on Blu-Ray if it was released :D

2 Die FR
January 15th, 2008, 10:34 PM
:woeisme:

I meant other people. You suckers are a sure thing. ;)