PDA

View Full Version : Driving Lessons

King Simba
November 6th, 2007, 11:00 AM
Ok, I have a couple of questions for all you drivers out there. How many lessons or hours did you have to take until you were ready for your driving test? xP I'm just curious, because my driving school says you need about 40 hours depending on the learner, but really I'm not sure.

And what's it like driving at night? I'm asking this because I have a driving lesson tonight at 5pm, and it'll be pitch black. I'm just really nervous about it, even moreso since last lesson I made quite a few mistakes, and that was in the daytime. People have also told me that it's twice as hard driving at night than it is when it's light.

So yeah, I'm really looking for advice and views (if this belongs in the Community Advice Thread then let me know) And if anybody's thinking of starting to learn soon and looking for advice or whatever, then feel free to post it in here. ;)

Guntur
November 6th, 2007, 11:13 AM
40 Hours omg..... I'm only do 10 hours and one exam from the Road Transport Department.
My last class is tomorrow and complete the 10 hours class :cheese:
Advice: don't get too nervous on the wheel, all you need to do is keep your eyes on the roads and know how to change the gear.

Driving at night? I can't drive at night without my glasses :cheese:

imported_kiara
November 6th, 2007, 11:19 AM
i guess i wontbe to much help since driving education here is different .. x)

Driving at night is fun i think, but its much harder and dangerous, considering you only see same things and its black around you, you get tired faster and more un concentrated as the surrounding is so monton. I think thats the word, right? You must also remember switch the lights alot.

Guntur
November 6th, 2007, 11:38 AM
which reminds me - do not use beamlight (?) during night traffic, which is irritate me >.> if some dude flashes me from the front.

We can drive it home with one headlight :cheese: well that's what Jakob Dylan says

Azerane
November 6th, 2007, 12:19 PM
It's mandatory here that each learner driver must do a minimum of 50 hours of driving before they can go for their P's (which is driving on your own, they just give you that as you're a new driver or whatever) 10 hours of that driving has to be night driving.

With driving at night, basically just be watchful. I find that during the day, I tend to check my position in the lane from my side mirrors, but I can't do that at night. It's also harder to judge how fast a car is coming along, because all you see is the headlights. So if you're unsure, ask the instructor (or whoever you're driving with). But my mum always tells me, just to go when I'm comfortable with going (if I'm crossing over traffic or whatever)
It is easier to get sleepy at night, especially if you're driving long distances, so be wary of that. If you're feeling tired or drowsy because of it, don't push on, you could end up tuning out etc.

I don't mean to scare you though, all the road rules are the same at night, you've just got to be more aware of choosing your gaps and things. I'm sure you'll be fine. :)

EDIT: Also, just thought of something, with night driving, it's harder because you can't see where you're going to, like you can in the day, around corners and such. You can only see where your headlights shine. (Unless the street is well lit of course)

Lion King Stu
November 6th, 2007, 05:40 PM
I'd say overal I was learning just past the 40 hours that they require you to do. It took me a while because I wasn't very confident because my old driving instructor was an *** and really put me off driving all together which is slightly sad because I would of been driving a lot sooner.

I wouldn't worry about night driving is anything I love driving at night than I do during the day. That and I have to drive in the pitch dark at 6:00am.
Shouldn't worry about it Tara; besides we all need to go there and get used to it. Sure you'll be fine ^^.

This Land
November 6th, 2007, 06:34 PM
Ive been Riding at night quite alot for the past 22 months. isnt as scary as you make it to be.
Somtimes, night driving is in fact safer in some cases, eg, you are are about to go around a blind corner, you can actually see if a car is approaching as their headlights are on and you can see the reflection off buildings/others cars etc.

Just keep a sharp eye, dont be pressurised to be moderate speed, go slower then normal of you want, because in the end. they are just looking if you are a safe driver ^^

Good luck Tara ^^

Darkslash
November 6th, 2007, 06:37 PM
Driving is teh pwn!

@ Night, go slower and don't outdrive your headlights (Can you stop within the range of what you can see?), remember the lights can't "look" through a turn

TX-101
November 6th, 2007, 07:29 PM
i just got mine about 3 weeks ago. i had 27 with final one. depends on school.

Tiikeri
November 6th, 2007, 08:50 PM
I passed my test in May 2005, and I started lessons in September 2004. I usually had 2 hour lessons every other week, so work it out x) The only reason it took as long as it did is because I kept failing my theory because I kept spacing out in the hazard perception exams and forgot to click (curse my ADD :P)

As for driving at night, I find it somewhat easier than driving during the day, especially on country roads and the like. Apart from that there's not much difference, you just need to keep a sharp eye out for peds who don't seem to look before crossing these days.

I'm sure you'll be fine though ^^

Juniper
November 6th, 2007, 08:58 PM
As a fellow driver, I recommend not hitting things or getting into car accidents. :p

Seriously though, at night just do what Darkslash said, don't out-drive your headlights. Also, if you find yourself in a situation where there's an animal in front of you and you can't stop in time, I hate to say it, but you're better off hitting the animal. If you can safely brake, do so, but if not, your safety and the safety of others on the road take priority over the animal's well-being, and going into a ditch at 50mph to avoid hitting a rabbit will most likely kill you. The only time that's not the case is when hitting the animal is more dangerous to you than hitting the ditch (ie, a horse, cow, large deer, etc...). It's sad, I absolutely hate it when I hit a possum or rabbit on the road and my night is ruined, but it's better to be alive.

Lion King Stu
November 6th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Yeah agree with Pnt on this one since I've been in this situation before myself at 6:00am in the morning.
I tried to break after a badger shot out of the hedge on a blind corner...seeing as it was a little too late to break I had to hit the thing.

And amazingly all I got away with was a small crack on the bumper and one of my lower lights being pushed back a little. Better than death anyday you ask me; sure could of been worse trying to dodge the bugger.

Azerane
November 6th, 2007, 10:11 PM
^Actually, it's illegal here to brake or swerve to avoid an animal when there's other traffic around, as it's regarded as reckless/dangerous driving.

LunarCat
November 6th, 2007, 11:27 PM
Driving at night is pretty scary but after a couple times you get used to it. like Darkslash and Pnt said, just don't go too fast. and in England it must be so much harder!!! your roads are so tiny :p I personally think driving in heavy rain is scarier, it' really hard to see =x

I'm not that big a fan of driving, but i have to say it's pretty cool to think that I can drive now. x) I'm quite excited to get my license! :D :cheese:

TX-101
November 7th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Lunarcat
Driving at night is pretty scary but after a couple times you get used to it.

I passed my driving test, got my licence but i didnt had even 1 hour of night driving. There were some but only on paper.

Azerane
November 7th, 2007, 01:22 PM
^Really? That's pretty crazy. I find that strange because night driving is a different experience to driving in daylight. That's missing a whole area of needed experience in my opinion. Not saying you're a bad driver. I just think the system is wrong. I think even the mandatory 10 hours of night driving that I'm put with, isn't even really that much and that it should be higher. Especially considering, that most new drivers are 16-23-ish years old, and they're the people who often go out at night and are driving around in the dark, so that experience is really vital.

By the way KS, how did your driving go?

King Simba
November 7th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Well I had my lesson, and driving at night is easier than I expected. Thanks everyone. ^^

Originally posted by Azerane

By the way KS, how did your driving go?

My lesson went alright thanks. :) It could've been better but I think I handled the roundabouts and the night driving pretty good. I made a few minor mistakes (yes minor, but my instructor seemed to react to them like they were major) but I guess that was because it was my first time driving at night and that it took a little getting used to.

Originally posted by Phoenix
40 Hours omg..... I'm only do 10 hours and one exam from the Road Transport Department.
Well yeah, they're pretty strict in the UK when it comes to driving. You also need to take a theory and a practical test.

My sister passed her practical first time round, but it took my mum and dad about 3 or 4 attempts. They were much older when they started learning though. I'm only 17, but they say it's best to learn when you're young. :p

Originally posted by Tiikeri
I passed my test in May 2005, and I started lessons in September 2004. I usually had 2 hour lessons every other week, so work it out x)
It didn't take you that long to pass then, I know it takes some people over a year to get anywhere near to passing their test (it took my mum one to two years) ;) And from what I saw of you, you were a pretty good driver. :p

TX-101
November 7th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Azerane
Not saying you're a bad driver. I just think the system is wrong.

Its not the system. I should have night hours too. But no one cant check if you really had them or they are just on paper.
And you can call me bad driver. I'm not good yet. after few years maybe but now. I just want to speed off road even if i wrek a car. Thats why i want to get 1 cheap car to crash it and another one to drive arround.

Guntur
November 7th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by King Simba

Well yeah, they're pretty strict in the UK when it comes to driving. You also need to take a theory and a practical test.

My sister passed her practical first time round, but it took my mum and dad about 3 or 4 attempts. They were much older when they started learning though. I'm only 17, but they say it's best to learn when you're young. :p
I'm pretty much like your parent, :evilgrin: I mean the theory test. Actually I take the theory test twice because of my "laziness", and the stuff department help me out on the theory test so hehe :evilgrin: *is evil*.

lion_roog
November 7th, 2007, 09:59 PM
Driving at night is easier...not nearly as many cars and people to worry about. But you have to watch out for those people that think it's cool for them to run red lights and stop signs because of the reduction in traffic.

As long as you're not driving recklessly and tailgating and all, driving is easy...you just have to pay attention to what everyone else is doing.

Utora
November 9th, 2007, 04:05 AM
I didn't get my permit until 6 months ago. I am still driving, but I'm thankful to learn in the USA. In the Ukraine I know it's something along the lines of going to driving school for three months first, and then like 30 hours+ of driving under permit. In Siberia where I usually dwell, I don't really know. You just drive. [shrugs] But in Missouri I had to read a pamphlet, take a written test for the permit, train at my own leisure, and then take a driving test when I feel ready to go. [laughs] It'll be a while for me. But I'm not going to school for 3 months either. [glares at the Ukraine]

TX-101
November 9th, 2007, 12:11 PM
hey.. just from curiousity... i forgot to ask how much do you pay for 1 hour of driving?

King Simba
November 9th, 2007, 12:18 PM
My lessons are ?17 per hour, they usually charge ?18 but since I'm a student I get student rate. And compared to some driving schools, that's cheap. ;) BSM (British School of Motoring) for example, charge about ?22 per hour and that's a lot compared to some driving schools.

TX-101
November 9th, 2007, 12:26 PM
aAha..it's quite tipical price. I had a bit cheaper here. it was 21? per hour no matter what you are. I had an option to go also on other school to for price 17? per hour. But the problem was in that school you certainly need more hours to get the licence. it's about 25 in the one i was in. and about 35 in the other one.

Tiikeri
November 9th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by King Simba
BSM (British School of Motoring) for example, charge about ?22 per hour and that's a lot compared to some driving schools.
Yeah I learnt with BSM...or BDSM as my Gran called it :lol: They charged ?21/hr but I paid for this package where I paid in advance for 30 hours and got a free driving test with it. Which wasn't bad I thought.

Guntur
November 9th, 2007, 03:50 PM
BSM? Is that some sort/same kind of Road Transport Department?

Tiikeri
November 9th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Err, no. It stands for British School of Motoring as KS said. It's a driving school.

King Simba
November 11th, 2007, 10:30 PM
Yeah I learnt with BSM...or BDSM as my Gran called it :lol:
:lol:

My dad learnt with them too, and he calls them "Bring Some Money" for some reason. XD

BSM is a large driving school here in the UK. I think DSA (Driving Standards Agency) is our road transport department, but I'm not sure. They're the ones who do the driving tests and stuff like that anyway.

Guntur
November 12th, 2007, 05:00 AM
New advice: Do not panic when your parking, I swear to god one small mistake and you're fail :(

Well that's what happen to me this morning :( except I pass the road test :evilgrin:

Shadow
November 12th, 2007, 06:42 AM
well am gona start driving preety soon but i think il wait until the winters over..

imported_kiara
November 12th, 2007, 08:01 AM
.. man am i glad i passed the driving text crazehness years ago :lol:

Sadiki
November 12th, 2007, 08:05 AM
Over here you must take 50 driving lessons thought each lesson is 25 mins long ( don't ask me why ) each time you do 2 lessons at least I did when I was practising. Then also we have to take 10 lessons of Theory which was most boring in the whole thing.. each theory lessons was about 2 hours and was just like sitting in a school. There is also A slippery track test in first part of getting your driving license as here roads are slippery about half of the year.

After you pass your theory test and driving test, you get temporary license that's good for 2 years, while you have that you are allowed to drive just like any driver thought before it expires but the at least a year from when you got it you have to take the second part of the driving test which is Slippery track again and also echomical driving. you also must do dark driving course in the between time or if you haven't done it in the first part. The whole second part takes 8 hours with all the theory and driving and is done with your own car. ( thought if you don't have one the place can rent you one)

For Shadow: I would start in the winter.. that way you become better driver as getting used to snow is not the easiest thing, but better learn it in the school than on your own.

Guntur
November 12th, 2007, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by SimbaTheMighty

For Shadow: I would start in the winter.. that way you become better driver as getting used to snow is not the easiest thing, but better learn it in the school than on your own.

Agree, if you conquer the hardest obsticle on the road you be king of the road.

imported_kiara
November 12th, 2007, 09:48 AM
i started during winter. Its actually not hat bad, and its so much easier later on ..

TX-101
November 12th, 2007, 02:29 PM
wow.. only 25 minutes? here you get 45. Now i get it why its so high number of hours. It's bad you have the same price per hour as i had.

I'm not sure if you are better diver if you do it in winter time. My mum said:
"When you get the licence - that only means that you are safe to go on road alone and start learning."
It really depends on a person. Some know to drive better when they are 10 than some at 40. I know the actual case when that happened.

lionloversam
November 12th, 2007, 02:41 PM
In Maryland, the law is 60 hours have to be completed in under a year. That is in addition to what ever they give you in drivers education program, which is also required. I just recently got mine and I really enjoy driving on my own.

SVelasquez
November 14th, 2007, 04:55 AM
Alright this is the best advice I got.

1. Gas is on the right, brake is on the left (DON'T CONFUSE THE TWO!)

2. Always come to a complete stop at a stop sign.

3. The best way to combat stupid idiots who fake out jumping in front of your car is to blow the horn the moment they least expect it.

4. Pedestrians are worth 500 points. 1,000 if they are old people.

5. Make sure your parking brake is off before driving.

That ends my comical list. Here's the serious list:

1. Be sure to have your rear-view aligned so that you don't have to readjust your position every time you need to see in the rear-view mirror.

2. Don't give the car too much gas at first.

3. Start someplace empty such as a parking lot (I did, and let me tell you I'm lucky no cars were around).

EDIT: After checking the location of the pedals in my Jeep I realized that I accidentally inverted the location of the gas and the brake.

Guntur
November 14th, 2007, 06:28 AM
@ SV: or Flash at 'em

Oh you forgot something.
Always wear seatbelt, that is the biggest point during the big test.

Sadiki
November 14th, 2007, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by SVelasquez
1. Gas is on the left, brake is on the right (DON'T CONFUSE THE TWO!)

I believe Gas is on the right and brake on the left at least on our cars. The biggest mistake you can do with pedals is press brake with right foot... I have tried it and trust me it's not working too well... either it wont slow down or you make sudden stops.

TX-101
November 14th, 2007, 01:07 PM

or opposite?

But i thing cars with manual gearbox are more fun! You can do things you would never do with automatic! Specialy when it comes to crash one. Some of us here are thinking of buying anold yugo or fiat punto or something like that. put in a safety cage and start rolling!

Tiikeri
November 14th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by SimbaTheMighty
I believe Gas is on the right and brake on the left at least on our cars. The biggest mistake you can do with pedals is press brake with right foot... I have tried it and trust me it's not working too well... either it wont slow down or you make sudden stops.
Really? Over here you're taught to use your right foot for both the gas and the brake pedals and the left foot is for the clutch only. Because if you need to perform an emergency stop you'll need your left foot free to press the clutch down while you're braking so that the car doesn't stall and lurch forward even more.

That's what we're taught anyway...

EDIT: Typos.

lion_roog
November 14th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Alright this is the best advice I got.

2. Always come to a complete stop at a stop sign.

3. The best way to combat stupid idiots who fake out jumping in front of your car is to blow the horn the moment they least expect it.

4. Pedestrians are worth 500 points. 1,000 if they are old people.

5. Make sure your parking brake is off before driving.

That ends my comical list. Here's the serious list:

:haha:...now that's advice to live (well, drive) by..

TX-101
November 14th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Once when you get your licence all you need is this:
http://webbsgraphics.com/decals/images/MG%20Hits.gif

As you can see. Normal people dont count. It would be too easy.

King Simba
November 15th, 2007, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by shadow
well am gona start driving preety soon but i think il wait until the winters over..
Yeah, some will say that it's better to start during the Winter as the weather's more unsettled, and it gets you more used to driving in more hazardous conditions, but I'd start whenever you feel comfortable. There's nothing worse than feeling under pressure. I know I was a tad nervous on my first lesson, but afterwards I felt really good about myself. It was my first time driving a car and it was loads of fun once all the theory stuff had been explained. It's like learning to ride a bike, something you never forget about. ;) Now for me, it's a natural thing to change to the correct gear for the appropriate speed. When I first started and on my first few lessons my instructor had to tell me what to do, now I do it almost automatically.

Driving's awesome. :D

Guntur
November 15th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Bingo KS ;)

Are you driving on the right hand side? and drive on the Left side?

Tiikeri
November 15th, 2007, 09:42 PM
Are you driving on the right hand side? and drive on the Left side?
We drive on the left hand side of the road on the right hand side of the car....the way it's meant to be.

Guntur
November 19th, 2007, 10:58 AM
*phew* I pass my whole exam today :cheese:

TX-101
November 19th, 2007, 03:39 PM
so yu have the licence now? Perfect to start hitting pedestrians!

imported_kiara
November 19th, 2007, 07:46 PM
i went home to my parents place this weekend to fix papers for my visum, and sunday night my bro and i went to see Rattatouille-whatever-its-spelled. I told my bro it was good i could practise my driving a bit since i havent been driving since the summer (cuz cant have cars around here when we build the garage). I drove some in town and then out on the highway.
It went better than i thought, and i had my bros car that i have never been driving before :lol: .. Also copied my license and papers today for visum as well. I started drive 4 years ago now :D

Sharifu
November 20th, 2007, 07:30 AM
We drive on the left hand side of the road on the right hand side of the car....the way it's meant to be.

Why do you say that? I believe we, with STM, looked online about that, and that most of the world does the opposite.

Tiikeri
November 20th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Sharifu
Why do you say that? I believe we, with STM, looked online about that, and that most of the world does the opposite.
Yeah I know, it was an example of typical British banter :p When it comes down to it, there actually is no right or wrong side of the car/road to be on. Each to their own as they say...

lion_roog
November 20th, 2007, 07:19 PM
Yeah I know, it was an example of typical British banter :p When it comes down to it, there actually is no right or wrong side of the car/road to be on. Each to their own as they say...

Is the gas pedal to the left or the right of the break pedal for you guys? I've always wanted to know...:D

King Simba
November 20th, 2007, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by lion_roog
Is the gas pedal to the left or the right of the break pedal for you guys? I've always wanted to know...:D
The accelerator is to the right of the brake pedal. ;)

Guntur
November 20th, 2007, 07:39 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driving_on_the_left_or_right

Looks like I have no problem driving in England after all :cheese:

*Buy a ticket and goes to England :p*

But most country who drive on the left are British Commonwealth except for Canada.

TX-101
November 21st, 2007, 12:26 PM
i cant imagine how hard must be when you are used to drive on a right side and then you go to england or so...
My uncle once went there. he was driving a truck and after some time he forgot about sides. After some time there was car coming in a a opposite direction straing into him. no one wanted to move becouse they were both sure they are right. Ofcourse - the guy in a car escaped on the other side of the road. It wasn't smart to get crushed by a truck. And only after driving pass him and thinking what was the metter with that guy, my uncle remembered he's not home!

I would like to go and try myself. I would probably stop when i would have to turn somewhere and stay there like an idiot, thinking how to go anywhere.

Xinithian
November 28th, 2007, 10:21 AM
In all honesty, I think the first thing new drivers should do is find a fairly twisty, unpopular road, and driving it. That way, you "connect" with the car and can estimate its limits far better. From there on, you can go through traffic, intersections, etc. with more confidence because the car feels more like an extension of you. I would also practice parking a lot in empty parking lots so you get the hang of it down (do all kinds of parking- parallel, slotted, and back up into a space). I would recommend driving for more than 40 hours, so if unforeseen circumstances arise during your test, you will know how to handle them.

The analogy I have for it is riding a horse versus driving a carriage. When you ride a horse with a saddle, you are far more involved and can tell what the horse is doing. When you drive a carriage, you're hoping that your commands register with the horse, but it's difficult to see how he's really responding.

Driving at night is more difficult, because it feels as though you are going faster than you really are. It's not very different if you go into a city, though, because the street lamps help quite a bit.

Yeah I know, it was an example of typical British banter :p When it comes down to it, there actually is no right or wrong side of the car/road to be on. Each to their own as they say... Not true! The right side of the road is right, damnit! If you Brits would make more cars left hand drive, it would be far easier for us Americans to import your cars! :p