PDA

View Full Version : Geography of the Pride Lands

Vidan
February 27th, 2004, 01:12 PM
Has anybody ever seen or attempted to create a map of the Pride Lands? The movies provide some clues. In the TLK:SE commentary the directors mention something about getting the direction of the jungle mixed up and having to reverse the image in certain places, but other than that, there is minimal information.

One can only infer based on the relation of certain scenes to one another.

So, if my logic (albeit loose) is correct, the Pride Lands might look something like the picture in this ZIP file:

http://www.freewebs.com/ericblack/map.zip

(You can also view the pic about a dozen posts down)

THE DARK & FUZZY LOGIC

* In TLK3 Timon, walking away from the meerkat colony, sees Pride Rock. Its tip (stage? runway?) is pointing left.

* As Timon and Pumbaa walk toward Pride Rock for the presentation of Simba, the sun is rising to the back of the screen (EAST) as they walk to the right. Therefore they are walking SOUTH, and Pride Rock also faces EAST.

*. In TLK Simba asks, "What about that shadowy place?" referring to the elephant graveyard. He is pointing to the right. Therefore, the elephant graveyard must be SOUTHEAST of Pride Rock.

* After Mufasa dies and Scar advises him to run, Simba runs from inside the gorge into the elephant graveyard and out into a barren rocky land which is just outside the jungle (which is where Timon and Pumbaa discover him). Since the elephant graveyard is SOUTHEAST to Pride Rock, the gorge must be (approx.) just SOUTH of Pride Rock, and the jungle should be somewhere in the SOUTHEASTERN direction from PR. (though probably quite distant). In addition, the gorge may run through the elephant graveyard (what exactly were the hyenas marching through during "Be Prepared"?)

* When Mufasa and Simba are looking out at the Pride Lands from PR ("Everything the light touches") you can clearly see a river heading off to the EAST, with a small tributary pointing NORTHWARD. The river likely heads to the Jungle, as it is moving in that general direction.

* In TLK2 smoke from the Outlands can be seen to the left as Simba watches from Pride Rock, making the Outlands NORTHEAST.

* Rafiki's tree must be somewhere in the general direction of the meerkat colony (NORTH of PR), since it's hard to imagine that he would have arbitrarily decided to go visit Timon and tell him to, "Look beyond what you see." (Otherwise, it would seem Rafiki would be the deus ex machina spinning the wheels behind the entire series.)

(Congratulations if you've gotten this far into the post and are still somewhat awake. Time for a food break? Muffin? Banana nut? That's a good muffin.)

* INCONSISTENCIES: In TLK3 there is a cave with a pool of water (the "lovely water feature"). Timon and Pumbaa are awoken by the sound of "I Just Can't Wait to be King". So have they found Simba and Nala's water hole? Assuming all of the above is true, and based on where the location of the water hole in TLK3 (NORTHWEST, according to all of the above), it is in the complete opposite direction of the elephant graveyard, which Simba and Nala tricked Zazu into letting them see. (Maybe Simba and Nala did make a U-turn and headed back past PR to the SOUTHEAST while Zazu was incapacitated).

* CONCESSIONS: There may never have been a master map, and it is possible that even if there was one the artists on TLK3 may not have followed it. This is, after all, an animated children's movie, not Lord of the Rings.

* UNANSWERED QUESTIONS:
- Where did the hyenas come from? They are seen hunting meerkats in TLK3, yet the elephant graveyard is south of PR. Did the hyenas come from the NORTH, and gradually move in to the elephant graveyard after aligning with Scar? (This is actually a concession of my fan fiction.)

- Is the gorge/canyon somehow a distant relative of the river? Do they merge at some point?

- What is to the west and further to the south?

I was thinking about all of this because the characters in my fan fiction seemed to be running around in circles until I thought of where everything was relative to each other.

So, if any of you might have more information, clarifications, or you want to just post a message saying, "DarkFuzzy, you've done it again, you obsessive, verbose hack," that would be much appreciated. The TLK fan fiction world may one day thank us =)

* Thanks to SimbaTheMighty for helping me sort this all out and for giving me some info about TLK2 which I haven't seen yet (hopefully arriving in the mail soon).

unregistered user
February 27th, 2004, 02:00 PM
hmm havent this been mentioned somewhere else?

Kovu
February 27th, 2004, 04:01 PM
Cool work! It never came across my mind how the Pridelands looked like.
:confused:
This map will be really useful for future TLK games! :cheese:

Few questions though:

-How'd you know the altitudes of certain areas of the map? or is this part of the real Serengeti map?

-Where's the Desert (the sandy lands Simba ran across back to PR)?
If that's the barren plains, why's the barren plains hard, dry ground when young Simba escaped from the gorge?

-Where's Upendi? (TLK2...) :cheese:

Apology for the queries. Please note that they are not meant to be answered, but to keep this discussion going.
(Answer them if you can, anyway)
;)

"...in Upendi...in Upendi...haha."
--Kovu

Ngatuny
February 27th, 2004, 04:45 PM
Another thing to consider and ad to the confusion is that when Simba tells Scar he will be king and Scar asks him if Mufasa showed him " what's beyond the northern border " referring to the elephant graveyard. :confused:

As for Upendi that is the result of some marginally legal mushrooms only Rafiki knows where they grow. :evilgrin:

Naline
February 27th, 2004, 04:49 PM
Well done DarkFuzzy, you've done pretty well considering how many continuity errors there must be!!!!!

I see what you mean about the desert Kovu but when simba returned to pride rock he came from the opposite side to the way that he left. So, unless the jungle and the desert vastly stretches all around the pridelands it just comes down to a continuity error. I think it's supposed to be the same desert (barren lands in the map) but they just got the images the wrong way round in the film!!!

And as for it being hard ground when he left and being soft sand when he returned......i dunno.......climate, he was in the jungle for a long time!!!

Also i wouldn't take TLK3 as much of a reference point for making a map, its not a reliable source, there's so many continuity errors that it'll make your head spin!!

unregistered user
February 27th, 2004, 04:53 PM
Yeah, if you wanna try and make a map of the pridelands you would probaly have to do three versions of it :confused:

Ruska
February 27th, 2004, 06:13 PM
Sorry, I'm too lazy to read. :haha:

Naline
February 27th, 2004, 06:20 PM
Aaah you dont have to read it ruska, just look at the picture of the map!!

Fuzzy
February 27th, 2004, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by Ngatuny
Another thing to consider and ad to the confusion is that when Simba tells Scar he will be king and Scar asks him if Mufasa showed him " what's beyond the northern border " referring to the elephant graveyard. :confused:

As for Upendi that is the result of some marginally legal mushrooms only Rafiki knows where they grow. :evilgrin:

Yes thats a confusing one indeed.. maybe the sun rises in a different direction in Disney Movies ;)

Anyway this can be useful Thanks DF.

Vidan
February 27th, 2004, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Kovu
-How'd you know the altitudes of certain areas of the map? or is this part of the real Serengeti map?

-Where's the Desert (the sandy lands Simba ran across back to PR)?
If that's the barren plains, why's the barren plains hard, dry ground when young Simba escaped from the gorge?

1. I haven't a clue. I only meant topography in terms of relative positions of places, not altitude. Although it seems like everything to the west seems higher. Or that might just be my imagination.

2. I was thinking about the same thing. Maybe Simba took a different route on his way back?

Originally posted by Simba the cub
hmm havent this been mentioned somewhere else?

Where? Do tell. I tried searching online to no avail.

Vidan
February 28th, 2004, 04:28 PM
OK, guys. This thread should be called "geography of the Pride Lands". It was 4am and I was half asleep. :zzz:

Although if anybody has any guesses as to relative elevations I guess that would be useful too, although everything for the most part is pretty flat.

Naline
February 28th, 2004, 10:47 PM
Its hard enough to map out the main areas and geographic elements without having to worry about hills aswell!!!! But if you manage then a BIG HUGE well done to you.......momentus task!!!!

unregistered user
February 29th, 2004, 12:38 AM
It wont let me open it. It just keeps opening a new window with the same thread. But HOLY COW can you type!

Vidan
February 29th, 2004, 04:58 AM
Originally posted by RyansLion
It wont let me open it. It just keeps opening a new window with the same thread. But HOLY COW can you type!

Try right clicking and selecting Save Target As (if using Windows) ...

My free web server won't allow direct linking to a file, so if anyone would care to host it and put an IMG link up here (thank you!), more people would be able to see the map. (I'm not sure that my Puny Site of Weakness would be able to handle the bandwith if I just put it on a page there.)

Sometimes typing is my way of thinking out loud ... :rolleyes: Hopefully you took the muffin break in the middle. I don't wanna be gettin' no lawsuits in the mail for reckless verbosity, yo. ;)

kcnmttcnn
February 29th, 2004, 05:24 AM
http://media.edogawaconan.com/moderators/kcnmttcnn/My Stuff/NewMap.gif

Vidan
February 29th, 2004, 06:19 AM
Thank you, kcnmttcn. BTW, those little shaded in areas are not elevated areas ... probably artifacts of the background, which I removed to make the file smaller.

Ruska
February 29th, 2004, 09:57 AM
Can I go home now? :alone::haha:

unregistered user
February 29th, 2004, 10:27 AM
No way Ruska, you got detention!

unregistered user
February 29th, 2004, 11:48 AM
never thought of that before, it whold be cool to see good map of the pridelands.

Vidan
February 29th, 2004, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Ruska
Can I go home now? :alone::haha:

No, Ruska, you are stuck reading my post over and over again for all eternity. ;) :haha:

Naline
February 29th, 2004, 05:29 PM
HAHAHAHAHA!!! The ultimate Hell!!!!

I think that once you're happy with the map and eveything is where it should be, you should make a 3D paper machet (sp?) version!!!! That would be cool!!!!

Vidan
March 1st, 2004, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by Naline
HAHAHAHAHA!!! The ultimate Hell!!!!

I think that once you're happy with the map and eveything is where it should be, you should make a 3D paper machet (sp?) version!!!! That would be cool!!!!

As much as I'd like to consider myself an artist in all mediums ... :hmm:, that would probably collapse in on itself after 30 minutes. Good idea, though. The map only has locations but no actual physical features at the moment.

That reminds me. There is that computer-generated fly by of the Pride Lands in the intro of TLK:SE. I wonder what can be gained from watching that over and over. (That would be hard, considering it's in the menu screen after 10 minutes of previews.)

Sadiki
March 1st, 2004, 11:22 AM
Sorry Darkfuzzy I have been busy so I haven't think thoes things like I say... but tommorrow I got time more then I wish so I gonna draw map for my sight :cheese:

SimbaLKD
March 26th, 2004, 08:55 AM
Ya know i could use a map for a game im making.. :evilgrin: perhaps i will draw one out soon.. perhaps not... :confused:

Vidan
March 26th, 2004, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by SimbaLKD
Ya know i could use a map for a game im making.. :evilgrin: perhaps i will draw one out soon.. perhaps not... :confused:

It's all yours. I think my fan-fiction's gone the way of the mastadon, unfortunately (I'll pick it up later ... but right now I've got too much going on.)

unregistered user
March 26th, 2004, 09:09 AM
Make someone do It for you...with all that coding...phew...

Not me tho because I suck at making maps...I think :E

SimbaLKD
April 11th, 2004, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Woes of Folly
It's all yours. I think my fan-fiction's gone the way of the mastadon, unfortunately (I'll pick it up later ... but right now I've got too much going on.)

*bows* Thank you sir, it shall be put to good use combine with STM's :D

unregistered user
April 11th, 2004, 03:54 PM
Great work, Woes of Folly. Now my two cents ;) :

Since the elephant graveyard is SOUTHEAST to Pride Rock, the gorge must be (approx.) just SOUTH of Pride Rock, and the jungle should be somewhere in the SOUTHEASTERN direction from PR. (though probably quite distant).

Notice that when the hyenas are chasing simba after the stampeade, he gets out of the thorns and runs to the setting sun. Therefore, both the desert and the jungle must be WEST of the pride lands.

*. In TLK Simba asks, "What about that shadowy place?" referring to the elephant graveyard. He is pointing to the right. Therefore, the elephant graveyard must be SOUTHEAST of Pride Rock.

There is an evident movie mistake here. Scar refers to the Elephant Graveyard as "the place beyond our northern border". But when Simba, Nala, Mufasa and Zazu are returning from the Elephant graveyard, you can see the glow of the sunset to their LEFT, meaning they are heading NORTH. And there is no doubt the Pride Rock is heading east, and your reasoning is true. Therfore, the northern border is actually the southern border. :P

- Is the gorge/canyon somehow a distant relative of the river? Do they merge at some point?

The things that I deduced about the canyon:
-it was, at one point, a river bed (just look at the ground - shaped by water)
-it is dried up for a LONG time (trees at the bottom)
-it is running from west to east, but probably it bends at some point (watch the sunlight during the stampeade - it is afternoon, so the sun is on the west. The western wall of the gorge is dark, and the eastern illuminated. So it runs in the north - south line. However, when we first see it - right after "Be prepared" ends - watch the shadows. It's running west-east now! And, as I mentioned before Simba runs to the setting sun after Mufasa's death. So the mouth of the gorge heads west.
-it ends with a cliff. There was probably a waterfall there at some point - and then the river flew to the jungle. Maybe the river that now flows through Pride Land met that other river there, and then the two rivers ran parallely.

Other:

Watch the "Everything the light touches" scene. Right at the moment Simba says "and this will all be mine?" (or sth like that) there is a shot of the scenery below - and there's a lake just in front of them. It's too far from the river to be its part. Maybe this is the water hole?

And the river is called Zuberi, as "The Tale of Two Brothers" says. It is not too reliable source, but I think we can trust it on that one. It a) runs south of Pride Rock, then turns behind it, and runs north of it, or b) there is another river to the northeast. Watch the "We're all connected in the CoL" dialogue - the river is to the northeast of PR. It's pretty complicated...

Ok, I hope I made sense :confused: :evilgrin:

Naline
April 11th, 2004, 04:07 PM
Ummm, kinda, :confused: it is pretty complicated like you said!!!

Someone should get some really good CAD software or something and make a 3D model of the pridelands so you can fly through and see all the features and stuff!!! Then we could add all this stuff in, and everybodies input and hopefully get to a point where it is as correct as it possibly could be?!?!?!?!

Just an idea!

unregistered user
April 11th, 2004, 05:01 PM
Ok, here's a very quick Paint sketch of my theory:

http://img40.photobucket.com/albums/v124/Shusky/pr.jpg

(Zuberi circles the Pride Rock here, as thinking more about it, it'shard to imagie that it flows through the desert. Perhaps both the gorge and the desert dried during some drought a long time ago)

Oh, and keep in mind that I haven't watched TLK 1 1/2, so feel free to correct me ;)

Ghalatu
April 11th, 2004, 05:47 PM
I like your version shusky, makes more sense to me. This map will be very helpful!

jazonhyena
April 11th, 2004, 07:01 PM
Yeah, that version checks out slightly more accurately with me.

On the original one, it has the watering hole fairly close to Pride Rock, and to its West, I think, right? But the elephant graveyard is back East, I'm fairly certain....wouldn't that mean that Simba and Nala ditched Zazu, crossed back past Pride Rock to get to the EG? That doesn't make a ton of sense to me...but whatever, I don't know. I do think the second one makes more sense. However, it doesn't have the meerkat colony, so get cracking and rent that video *Grin* hehe.

unregistered user
April 12th, 2004, 07:47 AM
According to TLK 1 1/2.. replace where you have the jungle right now with the meerkat colony. Right.. wrong? I don't know.. don't listen to me people! :lol: :p

kcnmttcnn
April 12th, 2004, 02:55 PM
Yeah, I think the meerkat colony was there.
But then the jungle would be... further out that direction? :confused:

unregistered user
April 12th, 2004, 06:07 PM
No, it would be a bit south to the gorge.

kcnmttcnn
April 12th, 2004, 06:14 PM
ok, got it
opposite direction of the meerkat colony

unregistered user
April 12th, 2004, 06:34 PM
Okay this isn't completely correct. Because i can't understand where that river was in LK2, but anyway.. besides that.. it should be correct. here's my version of the map:

http://www.angelfire.com/film/adammi/Pridelands.JPG

Light Green = Pridelands
Light Gray = Outlands
Dark Gray = Elephant Graveyard
Dark Green = Jungle
Orange = Desert

Sadiki
April 13th, 2004, 08:55 AM
If we count TLK 3 it should go like that, but we know it not go like that

unregistered user
April 13th, 2004, 03:18 PM
Did TLK 3 totally change the map? :horror:

Anyway, I thougt some more about the geography... and here's something interesting: the Outlands are nowhere near the Elephant Graveyard. As we already said, graveyard is to the SE of Pride Rock. Now watch the moment in Simba's Pride when Simba, Kiara and the lionesses are returning from the first confrontation with Zira - the PR can be seen from the behind - so they are returning from the west. Then, when Zira returns and Nuka greets her, the sun is behind Nuka and Zira comes from the direction of the screen - from east.

This actually makes perfect sense. The Outlands are probably just the edge of the Desert. And it's hard to imagine Zira and Shenzi living in peace right next to each other after Scar's death.

I love thinking too hard :p

unregistered user
April 13th, 2004, 04:08 PM
i hate puzzles :(

unregistered user
April 13th, 2004, 06:25 PM
But Shenzi left, remember? But you're right. *sighs* Oh well, I've given up on making maps of it, too confusing, above all the gorge. Cause in TLK3, when it zoomed away from Pride Rock it went in a straight line; Pride Rock, Watering Hole, Rafiki's Tree (not sure if those two are in correct order), Gorge, Graveyard, Meerkat Colony. And then later on it shows the gorge dropping off to a waterfall, and yet in the original it shows Simba coming to a dead end. Either the gorge split or Disney is confused. (I'd say a bit of both lol) Anyway http://www.angelfire.com/film/adammi/15.jpg

unregistered user
April 13th, 2004, 06:41 PM
So either Disney weren't thinking about geography while creating the movies... or the Pride Lands are in fact one huge quicksand ;)

*Attempts to find some sense*

unregistered user
April 13th, 2004, 07:56 PM
I'd go for the first option http://www.angelfire.com/film/adammi/27.jpg

Naline
April 13th, 2004, 09:43 PM
I think it's probably more likely that disney just weren't thinking about the map!!!!

Ruska
April 13th, 2004, 09:44 PM
Maps are your friends.

Naline
April 13th, 2004, 09:50 PM
LOL!!! Bizarre!!!

Oh and, congratz on 900 posts Ruska dear!!! =D

Ngatuny
April 13th, 2004, 09:56 PM
Yes many congratulations on your 900th post.:hakuna:

unregistered user
April 13th, 2004, 10:02 PM
Congrats Ruska ^^

Ghalatu
April 13th, 2004, 10:03 PM
Very nice Ruska :evilgrin:

EDIT: Wow! My 99th post!

kcnmttcnn
April 13th, 2004, 10:18 PM
Congrats^^

Kopa
April 13th, 2004, 11:54 PM
wow congrats on 900 and possibly more

Ruska
April 14th, 2004, 03:08 PM
Wow, thanks, mates. Didn't even notice I had so many already.

Sadiki
April 14th, 2004, 04:30 PM
Onnitteluni Ruska ;)
(congratultaions Ruska;) )

that is huge amound of posts

Ruska
April 14th, 2004, 07:19 PM
Cheers, babe. :licks:
Now when did the number get so big? :thinks:

Naline
April 14th, 2004, 07:44 PM
About 5 posts ago!!! ;)

Ruska
April 14th, 2004, 07:52 PM
You too, Naline. Welcome to the club, buddy o. ;)
900 posts. Wheeee.

Ngatuny
April 14th, 2004, 07:58 PM
Congratulations to all!!

Simrick
April 14th, 2004, 08:02 PM
Yes congrats to all that are superior blah...=P to me basically. All hail the 900, 1000, 1500 and above's *is joking basically being a joker XD =P *

jazonhyena
April 17th, 2004, 03:39 AM
Shenzi left? O_O

Oh yeah...that's right...I remember that part.

*pouts* Well, according to some people there's a chance Scar is still alive somewhere, and I have yet to take a stance on that issue. You never know. Shenzi and Scar might've had a little affair =P *Gets bombarded by trash and vegetables* Hey, I didn't make up the idea! Other people did! Perhaps she went to find him =P

unregistered user
April 17th, 2004, 05:10 AM
Maybe she saved him from the other hyenas. And because of that the hyenas split. =P It could happen. Personally I would like Scar to be alive. People might say 'What about Zira?' And I'd say.. 'No' =P But that's my opinion.

trexmaster
August 24th, 2004, 02:04 PM
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-7/771212/MapofTLKWorld.JPG

Here if the picture doesn't upload here properly (http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-7/771212/MapofTLKWorld.JPG)

LEGEND:

Brown outline = edge of the plateau (looking at Timon and Pumbaa's falling down a waterfall into the jungle in TLK 1.5, as well as Simba sliding down a cliff to the desert after escaping the hyenas in the original TLK, it appears that the Pridelands seem to be atop a huge mesa, or at least on a high plain)
Yellow = meerkat colony
Dark blue = waterhole/river
Light blue = marshlands
Fat, light orange lines = gorge
Dark orange blot = thorny bushes
Light-gray dot = Pride Rock
Light beige = desert
Dark biege = sand dunes
Goldish-ochre = mountain
White = snow
Dark ochre = Outlands
Dark gray = Elephant Graveyard
Lime green = Pridelands
Pale green = Magic Grasslands (where Simba sees Mufasa in the sky)
Dark green = jungle

trexmaster
August 24th, 2004, 02:05 PM
Oops, double post. :alone:

Kovu
August 24th, 2004, 02:07 PM
Awesome stuff, trexmaster! :kovusmile
But where's Pride Rock? :p

trexmaster
August 24th, 2004, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Kovu
Awesome stuff, trexmaster! :kovusmile
But where's Pride Rock? :p

That would be the little light-gray dot with the rather pointed shape. The JPEG format killed it. :grrr:

trexmaster
August 24th, 2004, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by SimbaTheLion
It's about 2/3rds of the way across, and halfway up if that's the right light grey dot.

Great work on the map anyway, mate :cheese: !

Is the meercat colony those few dots which have the spray-can effect?

Yes, the yellow ones.

Anyway, here's an updated copy of the map in GIF format...the colors are a little grainy, but are more well-defined.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-7/771212/MapofTLKWorld.GIF

trexmaster
August 24th, 2004, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by SimbaTheLion
Um, where is the new one hehe :cheese: :confused: ?

Sorry, posting accident. The new map has been uploaded.

Nephilim
August 24th, 2004, 03:47 PM
Ooo, good work Trexmaster. :)

Ngatuny
August 24th, 2004, 04:03 PM
Good map!=D this had been posted earlier (the map thread) but this seems to be the best map so far I think, what sources did you use?

King Simba
August 24th, 2004, 04:13 PM
Whoa! Great work there! :D

Shatara
August 24th, 2004, 09:23 PM
Pretty nice, tho I belive the Elephant Graveyard is to the north...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v118/Shatara/bumms/eyeleft.gif

Also, for converting windows *.bmp files to smaller formats like *.gif, *.png, etc, without sacrificing image quality, I recomend IrfanView:

http://www.irfanview.com/

trexmaster
August 25th, 2004, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Shatara
Also, for converting windows *.bmp files to smaller formats like *.gif, *.png, etc, without sacrificing image quality, I recomend IrfanView:

http://www.irfanview.com/

Thanks! :-)

Vidan
August 25th, 2004, 12:51 PM
That's certainly a very nice looking map. There was a thread that had a map I made a while back as well as some other people's revisions or alternate versions. As for all of the positioning details, I've given up. Especially since, on the "Proud of Simba's Pride" segment on the Simba's Pride re-release, somebody who worked on the film mentioned that the orientation of Pride Rock on screen was actually a metaphor for the two sides of the story. Pointing left represents Simba's Pridelands. Pride Rock pointing to the right represents the Outlands. (If I remember correctly.) If Pride Rock can just shift randomly like that, then the positioning of everything in the TLK universe can never really be established for certain.

trexmaster
August 25th, 2004, 01:03 PM
That's certainly a very nice looking map. There was a thread that had a map I made a while back as well as some other people's revisions or alternate versions. As for all of the positioning details, I've given up. Especially since, on the "Proud of Simba's Pride" segment on the Simba's Pride re-release, somebody who worked on the film mentioned that the orientation of Pride Rock on screen was actually a metaphor for the two sides of the story. Pointing left represents Simba's Pridelands. Pride Rock pointing to the right represents the Outlands. (If I remember correctly.) If Pride Rock can just shift randomly like that, then the positioning of everything in the TLK universe can never really be established for certain.

Or maybe Pride Rock has TWO promontories...:confused:

Ngatuny
August 25th, 2004, 02:13 PM
I think that Pride Rock is on a rotating platform, yeah that is it.:cheese:

Sadiki
August 25th, 2004, 02:33 PM
I would see prideland in a diffrend way... I made once one but it's gone now... but still you should make a compass nails there to show where is north, south, east and west because whit those you can solve where places are... like sun always dawn from east and set to west. And if I remember right Pride rock pointing east what means that elephant grave yard is south side and then outlands should be east as well because Simba watch from top of pride rock streight to outlands.

unregistered user
August 26th, 2004, 08:50 AM
Awesome map!
;)

Simba_TLK
August 26th, 2004, 12:32 PM
the map looks great :cheese: good work :D
i wouldnt have had any idea about how the pridelands where set out :p :lol:

trexmaster
August 27th, 2004, 03:47 PM
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-7/771212/Pridelandsmap2.GIF

Here's an update. I reconfigured some of the locations to a more accurate position, and I added in some locales from Dinosaur. In my mind, TLK and that movie share a universe (even the background music is similar); in fact, I wonder if the devastated state of the Pridelands during Scar's rule had something to do with the asteroid...

EDIT: Dammit, I forgot to post the actual image...:eww:

Vidan
August 27th, 2004, 05:48 PM
Wow, an island? That's kind of different ... but cool with me. That plesiosaur in the lower left is a nice touch. It's so ... happy looking :cheese:.

TakaTiger
August 27th, 2004, 11:07 PM
coolness :D

trexmaster
August 29th, 2004, 12:27 PM
Wow, an island? That's kind of different ... but cool with me. That plesiosaur in the lower left is a nice touch. It's so ... happy looking :cheese:.

It's supposed to be a tribute to the old maps with sea monsters drawn in the ocean regions. Also, the tsunami was based on the big wave in that famous Japanese painting...

Shatara
September 3rd, 2004, 06:40 AM
That's certainly a very nice looking map. There was a thread that had a map I made a while back as well as some other people's revisions or alternate versions. As for all of the positioning details, I've given up. Especially since, on the "Proud of Simba's Pride" segment on the Simba's Pride re-release, somebody who worked on the film mentioned that the orientation of Pride Rock on screen was actually a metaphor for the two sides of the story. Pointing left represents Simba's Pridelands. Pride Rock pointing to the right represents the Outlands. (If I remember correctly.) If Pride Rock can just shift randomly like that, then the positioning of everything in the TLK universe can never really be established for certain. I think you're reading too much into it.

Pride rock faces East. This is not in dispute. THE CAMERA is what moves.

In the first movie, we see the lit (North) side almost exclusively (name a scene we see the south side).

In LK2, we see it from the shadowed (South) side a few times (most notably, when Vitani is watching Kovu not killing Simba). The sun rising on the shadowed side isn't that big a deal, and can be viewed as purely metaphorical, and ignored without losing anything.

Also, I don't see how the Pride Lands could be an island. Plains/praries/steppes/savanahs are very much an inland phenomina.

EDIT: Also, I'm pretty sure the Outlands are to the south-west.

Timali
September 3rd, 2004, 10:10 AM
There used to be some sort of map thread here earlier, and inspired by that I made my version of the map of Pridelands in July. It was based on one discussion of the possible look of map of Pridelands. It's too big to post in this thread, so here's the link (http://fanart.lionking.org/Artists/Timali/PridelandsMap.gif).

(Off-topic: Great avatar and signature pic, Shatara. Vitani is cool.)

Vidan
September 3rd, 2004, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Shatara
I think you're reading too much into it.

That may be so. It all made sense to me at one point, but I just don't have the patience to remember and refine. :zzz: I would agree that the Pridelands couldn't be an island, unless you consider Africa an island. :p The 'sea monster' was a nice touch, though.

TakaTiger
September 3rd, 2004, 11:16 PM
well, it looks good to me wether its wrong or right ;)

Tigz
August 20th, 2005, 09:29 AM
Hey, all the links in this thread don't work. Not surprising really given they were a year ago... but does anyone have a copy of the map they could give me? Please? *bats cute tiggy eyes*

unregistered user
August 20th, 2005, 03:27 PM
Hey Tigz, Timali's link still works. And I personally think it's the most accurate. Here ya go:

http://fanart.lionking.org/Artists/Timali/PridelandsMap.gif

Tigz
August 20th, 2005, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Ravoc
Hey Tigz, Timali's link still works. And I personally think it's the most accurate. Here ya go:

http://fanart.lionking.org/Artists/Timali/PridelandsMap.gif
Thanks for the link mate, and it does indeed still work! :)

No idea who Tigs is though. :P

unregistered user
August 20th, 2005, 08:23 PM
Ah, sorry for the mistaken identity, it has been corrected x)

HasiraKali
August 23rd, 2005, 07:13 PM
That's a nice map. :)

mirta
October 3rd, 2005, 12:51 PM
:sad:
I can?t see non of these pics and the links don?t work for me :sad:

can you post the pic here trexmaster, enstead of link?