PDA

View Full Version : Taka versus Scar

Ruska
February 18th, 2004, 11:44 AM
Okay then. This has been tickling my mind for a while now, few months or so.

What's the secret Taka changing his name to Scar? I mean, what's this Taka thing all about? Was it behore the scar or what?

And now I'm confusing myself. :thinks:

Fuzzy
February 18th, 2004, 12:54 PM
Hmmm.... who is Taka?? :alone: :hmm:

Ruska
February 18th, 2004, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by LionKingDomain
Hmmm.... who is Taka?? :alone: :hmm:

Scar I guess, but why was he Taka? :confused:

unregistered user
February 18th, 2004, 01:21 PM
Taka is more of his fanfic name before he got the scar. I mean, who the heck would name there kid/cub Scar?

Ruska
February 18th, 2004, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Zanaki
I mean, who the heck would name there kid/cub Scar?

Well, what can you expect of those Disney types? ...sorry, sorry. *runs away from flying tomatoes* (omigosh, I used stars!):gasp:

unregistered user
February 18th, 2004, 01:53 PM
*faints*

Ruska, you...you used stars!

*faints again*

Ruska
February 18th, 2004, 02:04 PM
So this must be serious. :horror:

Naline
February 18th, 2004, 02:06 PM
Aah! Boosy *rubs smelling salts under his nose* come back to us bud.

Anyway, as i understand it 'Taka' is his birth name, as Zanaki said, and when he got his scar he got nicknamed 'Scar' and everyone called him scar for ever and ever, and they all lived happily ever after, the end!

Vidan
February 18th, 2004, 02:16 PM
It appears that in Swahili the word "taka" means any of the following: "dirt, filth, junk, rubbish, trash, worthless thing". Poor, poor Scar. No wonder he has issues.

Ruska
February 18th, 2004, 02:19 PM
So let's think.
Taka is even worse name than Scar, so...umm...I have no idea what to think.

Originally posted by Naline
when he got his scar he got nicknamed 'Scar'
To make this even more complicated: where did he get that scar from then? :confused:

unregistered user
February 18th, 2004, 02:19 PM
lol, nice name to give to a son...lol

wonder if the writers who came up with it knew what it meant :)

Naline
February 18th, 2004, 02:22 PM
That's a bit harsh, but then again 'Simba' means 'Lion' in swahili, how many parents parents call their kids 'Human'. "Human, your dinners ready!!" wouldn't work either!!

unregistered user
February 18th, 2004, 02:28 PM
lmao! good thinking there Naline!

"Lion, He let the hyenas take over the pridelands!"

Ruska
February 18th, 2004, 02:31 PM
Bunny would be cute. http://koti.mbnet.fi/foot/hysteric.JPG

Naline
February 18th, 2004, 02:38 PM
If they called him bunny instead of Taka????? hehehe t'would be strange!!! Lol!! :cheese:

Yeah Boosy, exactly, it would be well confusing for the pride wouldn't it!!!! :confused:

unregistered user
February 18th, 2004, 02:41 PM
Well, come to think of it, there is at most three lions in a pride isnt it so it would be very hard, might be hard keeping track of all the lionesses tho :)

Naline
February 18th, 2004, 02:43 PM
Aaah, touch?!!! it would be cool if 'Nala' meant lioness!!

unregistered user
February 18th, 2004, 02:53 PM
And Lion 3 and lioness X later got a daughter, lioness X + 1

um...right :)

Naline
February 18th, 2004, 02:54 PM
now im lost :confused:

unregistered user
February 18th, 2004, 04:01 PM
I'm still waiting for the explaination as to how Scar got his scar.

Ruska
February 18th, 2004, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by RyansLion
I'm still waiting for the explaination as to how Scar got his scar.

Yeah, me too! :metoo:

Naline
February 18th, 2004, 08:00 PM
I know there's a story book by Disney that explains it but apparantly they're REALLY hard to find, so if anyone happens to have it and you'd let the rest of us know that would be great!!!!!!

unregistered user
February 18th, 2004, 09:14 PM
Well in a fanfic called something i cant remember....umm.......Chronicals of the pridelands i belive

Well anyway Taka and Muffy goes down a badger whole (NO BADGERBADGERBADGER MUSHROOM MUSHROOM, thats offtopic ;) )

And the badger put that scar on Taka

Sadiki
February 18th, 2004, 10:03 PM
Awws.
You make it out before I come back... How i can leave you here for week?
( 948 post in 7 days 90 threads) this gonna be long night

unregistered user
February 18th, 2004, 10:07 PM
And i think reading 20 new threads/posts is hard lol, ah well...think of all new knowdlage you will get! hopefully lol

kcnmttcnn
February 18th, 2004, 11:33 PM
You can buy a used copy of the book here: The Lion King: Six New Adventures (http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=241250648)

unregistered user
February 19th, 2004, 01:56 AM
Great! Now I want to know who the (bleepety-bleep) is MUFFY!! :rolleyes:
Thanks for the link.

kcnmttcnn
February 19th, 2004, 03:51 AM
I don't have the book, but I've read somewhere that in the book Scar(can't remember his other name) tried to kill Mufasa or something by having some animal run into him or something like that but it backfired and hit him instead; giving him the scar~

Sharifu
February 19th, 2004, 04:44 AM
Yes, Taka is the name of Scar before he got his scar. This was not made up by fans. It is in an official Disney Book in a Book Set called The Lion King: Six New Adventures. I know I posted somewhere at these forums about these books, and I wanted to copy and paste my reply because I didn't want to repeat everything all over again... But I couldn't find it. Anyways these books were made before The Lion King II Simba's Pride because in these books Simba and Nala have a son named Kopa. Anyways one book in the set is about young Scar and Mufasa and it is called A Tale Of Two Brothers. Yeah Scar's name is Taka, but after he got his Scar, he wanted to be named that from then on. This bookset is really rare and I'm lucky to have found a set on ebay because lots of TLK fans want this bookset. Look on ebay though, I'm sure you guys will find a set there every once in a while.

Vidan
February 19th, 2004, 05:09 AM
Good information ... I want those now. Thanks.

Fuzzy
February 19th, 2004, 09:18 AM
excellent that clears up alot...

*the search begins for those books* da da dum.... ;)

Ruska
February 19th, 2004, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by RyansLion
Great! Now I want to know who the (bleepety-bleep) is MUFFY!! :rolleyes:
Mufasa, gotcha.

Originally posted by Sharifu
in these books Simba and Nala have a son named Kopa.What names, do I tell ya! http://koti.mbnet.fi/foot/hysteric.JPG

And thanks for the info, everyone! :ayecapn:

Fuzzy
February 19th, 2004, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by kcnmttcnn
You can buy a used copy of the book here: The Lion King: Six New Adventures (http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=241250648)

The specified book has been deleted: 241250648

:alone: ??

Ruska
February 19th, 2004, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by LionKingDomain
The specified book has been deleted: 241250648

:alone: ??

Someone has bought it, I assume.

Fuzzy
February 19th, 2004, 03:07 PM
I found it on Amazon.. maybe you guys could get it there too :)

kcnmttcnn
February 19th, 2004, 03:09 PM
Here's one on eBay that's gonna end in 7 hours:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3587617909&category=45122

Kovu
February 19th, 2004, 03:19 PM
Disney made an official written sequel to TLK?
Or did i interpret the messages wrongly? :confused:
I was wondering too why Taka was used so often in TLKFAA.
Since it sounded so much like a Japanese name, i decided to check on 'Taka' 's meaning in Japanese... it means Hawk! :gasp:
Yet in Swahili it means Dirt/Filth (what was it again?).
Such major differences for the meaning of a word with the same pronunciation in different languages.

Anyway, im glad Scar wasn't named Kovu :cheese:
Hate and envy brought forth the darkness in Scar.
Fate, and mere fate, brought forth the darkness in Kovu.
I strongly believe they're different.
(Whoops! Off-topic)

Hence im glad Scar wasn't named Kovu, though he could easily have used the word for 'scar' in swahili for his name.

(Guess i tend to over-type senseless posts when its past bedtime...)

"Good night..."
--Kovu

Ruska
February 19th, 2004, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Kovu
I was wondering too why Taka was used so often in TLKFAA.
Since it sounded so much like a Japanese name, i decided to check on 'Taka' 's meaning in Japanese... it means Hawk! :gasp:
Yet in Swahili it means Dirt/Filth (what was it again?).
Such major differences for the meaning of a word with the same pronunciation in different languages.

Well, in Finn that means behind! http://koti.mbnet.fi/foot/hysteric.JPG

Naline
February 20th, 2004, 08:21 PM
Wow, those books look cool, i want them!!!!!!!!! but can't be botherd to find them so its my loss really.

I love finding out the etymology of the names in TLK, like i only recently found out that 'Sarabi' means 'Companion' in swahili!!!!

unregistered user
February 25th, 2004, 07:43 AM
Those books are worth a good look. Someone wrote a fan fic based on them, VERY good too! If I'm right that is =P Anyway you get to read about the ancestry from Mkase-Simba, pretty sure. For those who don't know...:

Mkase had Mfalme. Mfalme had Dhahabu. Dhahabu had Mohatu. Mohatu had Ahadi. Ahadi had Mufasa and Scar/Taka. And Mufasa had Simba. And Simba had Kiara (or Tanabi if you go by LK1 or Kopa if you go by the book =P )

*whispers* Personally, i never liked Kiara that much. I thought Kovu rocked though, he made LK2 good, admit it, admit it XD Okay.. got off topic *whistles and runs away from tomatoes*

Snowy
February 29th, 2004, 03:43 AM
*delurking*

Sharifu's correct that Taka comes from The Lion King: Six New Adventures (TLK6NA). Also, like Sharifu, I found my set on eBay (sweet, sweet, addictive eBay). It should be noted, though, that MehndiX was kind enough to scan and upload the whole set onto her site -- http://www.nala.at -- for those who have not been so lucky as to find and purchase it. You have to register to view the site, but that registration is free.

Coincidentally, taka does not just mean "rubbish, trash, etc." It also means such abstract and unrelated things as "bolt of calico cloth". There are also the verb meanings of "to ask" and "to wish". My personal favorite is the verb taka shari, meaning "to defy, to challenge". :evilgrin: Granted, the translation given in TLK6NA was that of "garbage", but I imagine that was at least in part so as not to confuse the kiddies with more...thought-provoking translations.

The fanfic Leo_the_Lion is referring to is "Pride Lands Generations" or "TLK Generations" (or something to similar effect, I can't recall it precisely off the top of my head), if I'm not mistaken. In the interest of stemming any misconceptions, Disney has only gone back as far as Mohatu (from the read-along book The Brightest Star), so any earlier "ancestors" are purely fan speculation.

Also, since I've seen the mistake a lot. Ahadi's queen is Uru, not Akase. Both Ahadi and Uru come from TLK6NA, while Akase was created by none other than Brian Tiemann for his fanfic "The Pride". The name was picked up and used in "Chronicles of the Pride Lands" (CotPL), from where it gained wide circulation. Similarly, Tanabi as Simba's son is a fan name that has gained wide circulation via CotPL. As Sharifu pointed out, Simba's son is Kopa.

It's probably also worth a mention that Ahadi's design is rather...debatable. In the text, he's described as being black-maned and green-eyed; yet in the illustrations, he's a Mufasa clone. I actually prefer the latter, myself, but that's another discussion entirely.

Lastly, I think, something needs to be said regarding the Taka-Scar debate. That is, there are those who vehemently swear by one name or the other only. In such instances, Taka is seen as the "sweet, good, innocent" side while Scar is, well, Scar. Many a flame war has been fought on these grounds. Ironically, this dichotomy of character is derived from his depiction in CotPL -- TLK6NA's Taka is by no means a wide-eyed innocent but a bitter, reproachful adolescent.

To which point, I do believe I've put in more than my fair two cents. ;)

Naline
February 29th, 2004, 05:48 PM
Thats a great pic of Nala on the signup page!!! I've signed up and unfortunately can't find the stories??? Maybe i've done something wrong!!!

And thanks for the analyisis Snowy, you've cleared up a few points.....for me at least!!!

But i think it makes Scar a bit more interesting if Taka was sweet and nice as a cub/adolescent because it shows that he has spiralled into madness throughout adulthood via jealousy, greed and lust for power etc......all things that could so easily have shown themselves in later life if there was something in childhood that sparked them off. A sweet, nice, sensitive type of person could easily be jolted into disarray from seemingly insignificant events (such as getting the scar, or being picked last to play tag when they were cubs, always being made to feel second best to muffy etc etc), whereas the strong minded, prominant Mufasa would have shrugged it off and got on with things.

So in conclusion, i don't like to think of Taka as a scheming, nasty person......i prefere to think of Taka as a good brother to Mufasa but he lost his grip on reality and on his conscience and became the Scar we know today!!!

kcnmttcnn
February 29th, 2004, 06:10 PM
The stories are under Images --> TLK Books

Ngatuny
February 29th, 2004, 06:15 PM
Well once you log in, go to the download section click on images, then go to the book section and there is where you can find them. The only thing is that you can only download a few images per day so it will take several days to download all six books.:alone:

Naline
February 29th, 2004, 06:20 PM
Thanks buddy, but it wont let me log in, i just come up as a guest all the time and it wont let me access anything on the site!!! very annoying!!!

Ngatuny
February 29th, 2004, 06:27 PM
Well I have the books and could start scanning them if you want them, and I find a place to up load them.

unregistered user
February 29th, 2004, 06:33 PM
Thanks for the help! Found it! :)

Huma
February 29th, 2004, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Naline
Thats a great pic of Nala on the signup page!!! I've signed up and unfortunately can't find the stories??? Maybe i've done something wrong!!!

And thanks for the analyisis Snowy, you've cleared up a few points.....for me at least!!!

But i think it makes Scar a bit more interesting if Taka was sweet and nice as a cub/adolescent because it shows that he has spiralled into madness throughout adulthood via jealousy, greed and lust for power etc......all things that could so easily have shown themselves in later life if there was something in childhood that sparked them off. A sweet, nice, sensitive type of person could easily be jolted into disarray from seemingly insignificant events (such as getting the scar, or being picked last to play tag when they were cubs, always being made to feel second best to muffy etc etc), whereas the strong minded, prominant Mufasa would have shrugged it off and got on with things.

So in conclusion, i don't like to think of Taka as a scheming, nasty person......i prefere to think of Taka as a good brother to Mufasa but he lost his grip on reality and on his conscience and became the Scar we know today!!!

Well analyze, seems you've read CotPL.

Naline
February 29th, 2004, 07:05 PM
Which is quite a feat considering the length;).............so i've heard

unregistered user
February 29th, 2004, 07:29 PM
Yeah, I like the way Taka is in the beginning then he just snaps because of a curse not caused by his brother or anyone else...well maybe rafiki hehe...

This i get from CotPl

Naline
February 29th, 2004, 07:55 PM
AHA!! Its rafiki and his menacing stick that's causing all the problems?!?!?!!!

Mushroom
February 29th, 2004, 07:57 PM
Yeah Ngatuny! That would be soo cool!

Huma
March 1st, 2004, 12:18 AM
Rafiki is just a fuze. the curse became an excuse for Taka to flinch and have others' pity. The CotPL shows how fear and pain lead to crime as well as the ambition and greedy. That is how I like it.

Snowy
March 1st, 2004, 02:23 AM
Naline: I believe there's an email you can contact if you're having trouble signing in. So, if all else fails, you might want to try that.

Having read TLK6NA and attempted reading both versions of CotPL, I can say honestly that I prefer TLK6NA's version of the characters and story, and not just because it's the canon. Scar as portrayed in CotPL never meshed well with what I saw in the film -- in fact, few of the characters did --, which is in large part why I could never really get through all of CotPL. The newer version was better, admittedly, but it still felt...wrong.

In TLK6NA, yes, Taka is bitter, but at the same time he shows a naivety that I was surprised Disney would even consider for any of their villains, let alone someone like Scar, and especially not in what is essentially a children's story. In fact, it's a character trait that I can find most readily in the films in Kiara of all people, Miss Naive herself. That is, Taka places a lot of value in promises and it is Ahadi's consistent breaking of those promises (in a nice play of sophistication, by the by, ahadi is Swahili for "promise") that seems to be a catalyst for Taka's decline into bitterness and, ultimately, hatred. This is largely why "A Tale of Two Brothers" is my favorite book in the set: The language may be simple, but the story itself is not. It would adapt well with only minor changes into a more "adult" format. Or, perhaps I just read more into it than most. I've been known to overanalyze, after all. ;)

unregistered user
March 1st, 2004, 04:45 AM
Chronicles of the Pridelands By David Morris and John B.(A friend of mine) said the scar was the work of Honey Badger, after the kids believed the fancy tale of a white lioness Misasha have magic powers to grant people(or lion) wishes. Muffy actually went after the "White" badger, thinking anything white can grant wishes... oy. He kinda encouraged Taka to went into the nest and then got the slash, almost gurged his eye out.

Hence he got the scar, and the name Scar was given to him after his failure attempt of venturing into the Big World (outside of the pride) to avoid always being in the shadow of his brother.

The author, John said he'd like to give Scar some "alternative" personalities. He's evil, yes, but everyone is born innocent, he'd been pushed to his extreme that drove him that way. And EVEN in his infamous rules did he show the real passion and love towards a stranger and her cub.

Took me a while to understand the whole story, a great one tho.

Huma
March 1st, 2004, 08:54 AM
Seems question come to "who should be responsiable for Taka's decline."

The Taka's decline is only the theme of first half of first part of CotPL. The CotPL eventually imputed it to supernatural beings as Makei. The whole story of CotPL alluded to THE LEONINE STORY, in which mentioned inherent confliction in the lifecycle. The author's conception of whole story changed, in my point of view, after completion of the "The Spirit Quest." They added supernatural elements in Taka's behavior and make him as a part of a huge battle upon the Pride Land. It totally overstep the original TLK universe, and by doing so, lose comparability with TLK6NA. I think the most reason of people who didn't like CotPL is that they used standard of original TLK to evaluate CotPL. I'd rather appreciate it as a independent story.

Snowy
March 1st, 2004, 09:05 AM
*looks around* No one's given the TLK6NA version of how Taka got his scar yet, have they? No? 'K then.

Short answer: Cape buffalo.

Long, laborious, and probably at times tangential, Snowy answer :cheese: :
To throw this in perspective, this starts a couple scenes prior to the actual acquisition of the wound.
The Pride Lands are in a drought and the animals of the kingdom are feeling the strains -- emotionally, if nothing else. Ahadi is presented with a number of problems, including the hyenas (yes, our infamous trio) running amok. There's also the issue of one Boma, a large ornery Cape buffalo who has appropriated the last usable waterhole and refuses to let anyone near it. Ahadi determines to deal with the hyenas first, at which point Taka (who we later learn is already working with the trio by this time; there's a nice little interplay later that hints a bit as to how that association started) cuts in reminding Ahadi that he had promised to take the brothers on a hunting outing. For the good of the kingdom (now, where's the irony in that, I wonder?), Ahadi has to break that promise. Taka will have nothing of it, effectively accusing his father of, if not neglect, then at least favoritism, a fact that is driven home when Ahadi tries to reason with him by pointing out that Mufasa seems to understand. Before the family tiff can progress further, the gathered throng of Pridelanders cuts in. Ahadi tries quietly to appeal to his younger son one final time and, while Taka backs off, he clearly has neither forgotten nor forgiven. His suggestion that he and Mufasa go hunting together instead is a cover for his anger.
Here, Taka excuses himself, claiming to need to do something before he and Mufasa set off. What he needs to do, as it turns out, is have a chat with Shenzi, Banzai, and Ed. Initially, his plans are to simply upstage Mufasa by bringing home the bigger kill. However, Shenzi (she always was the smartest of the hyenas) suggests actively humiliating Mufasa in the eyes of the kingdom, and Taka ultimately runs with the idea.
What results is him and Mufasa going to have a word with Boma, under the pretense of helping Ahadi. Of course, what Taka has more in mind is getting the Cape buffalo and his brother to fight, thus earning Mufasa Ahadi's disapproval. I don't think it ever occurs to Taka that this could get his brother killed -- the plan is rather simply to have him get in trouble, after all, and nothing more. Personally, I get the impression that if things had turned lethal, Taka would have been horrified. His animosity seems to be directed more towards Ahadi than Mufasa, with his brother getting the fall-out by way of association. But, I digress. Mufasa, pursued by Boma, runs like the dickens, ultimately duping Boma into a shallow ravine.
All the while, Taka is laughing it up back at the waterhole. The trickster's about to trip over his own cleverness, though: He forgot that Cape buffalo run in herds. In short order, a few of Boma's fellows descend upon him. One catches him with a horn and Taka goes down. There's a rather touching display of brotherly devotion on Mufasa's part here as, outnumbered and clearly digging in for a fight he'd ultimately lose, he gets between the buffalo and his felled brother. Kind of a pity Taka's unconscious and so can't see Mufasa risking his life for him. Lucky for the two of them, Ahadi enters just then backed by a good number of other animals, including elephants. The buffalo stand down, Boma is helped out of the ravine, and Taka is carried (by elephant) back to Pride Rock.
Favorite scene coming up here, so beware of expounding. When Taka comes around, Rafiki tells him that he'll carry a scar for the rest of his life, at which Ahadi says it should remind him of how foolish he was that day. Mufasa is a bit more concerned with the present, wanting to know why his brother had provoked Boma. The answer? Surprisingly straight-forward, actually: To humiliate Mufasa and get back at Ahadi for breaking his promise earlier. Ahadi again takes the learning experience approach, pointing out that Taka wound up hurting himself instead and then going on to tell him that he's got to learn to let go of his anger. There's something in Ahadi's wording here that makes me wonder. Taka's response is somewhat predictable in that at first he gets clearly angry, but I can't help but think that he's perhaps reading something extra into his father's admonition that Ahadi hadn't intended to be there. That is, taken the wrong way, Ahadi could have just told Taka that the fact that he got injured didn't hurt either Ahadi or Mufasa. I can practically guarantee that that's not what Ahadi meant, but I can easily see Taka twisting the meaning that way. Regardless, Taka again hides his anger and, in what everyone takes as a sign of good faith, changes his name to Scar so as not to forget what happened that day. In fact, he promises in as much. And we know how that ultimately manifests.

And that's TLK6NA's version.

I should note: It doesn't bother me if people prefer a fanfic's scenario over the canon. It perplexes me to no end, but it doesn't necessarily bother me. What bothers me is when the fanfic is presented as canon. When fanfics and/or ideas contained within fanfics are presented as canon or generally gain wide acceptance, you get what is known as fanon (fan-canon). Fanon is not inherently bad, mind, just potentially confusing. I can't tell you the number of times I've had to correct people who assume Tanabi is Simba's canonical son, for example, because they don't know the name's origins and see it in a large number of fics. Once you lose track of how many times you've had to dispell fanon, it becomes a pet peeve to so much as catch a whiff of anything associated with it. Hence, I suppose, why I can sometimes seem a bit...snippish when CotPL comes up. So much fanon stems from that, through no fault of the authors other than that they made something so large and well-received that many readers took it very much to heart. Kudos to them for it, too. It's just, I'm not one of those people who holds it at equal or higher value than the canon and so I can get frustrated when I run into those who do.
For the record, Leviathan did a fine job presenting CotPL, first and foremost by prefacing it with the fact that it is a fanfiction. Thank you for that. You make this cantankerous canon-thumping white wolf happy. :)
And Huma, you make an excellent point about CotPL's standing among those who, like myself, aren't all that fond of it. It doesn't mesh well with TLK and therein lies why I had trouble getting through the revised version and never managed to get through the first. However, had it been handled as an original, independent work instead of a fanfic, I'm quite certain I would have enjoyed it more.

Lastly, so long as we're still generally on the topic of how Scar got his scar, I remember that a favored theory for a time (I believe it's fallen somewhat out of fashion now, as it were) was that he got it from Sarabi after, well, ah, let's just say his smooth talking doesn't always charm the ladies. This, if I remember correctly, began in Christine Morgan's fanfic "A Matter of Pride," which is not something the younger crowd should read but is well-written, none the less. The general idea's appeared in more kid-friendly fics since then, including Brian Tiemann's "The Pride". For sake of reference for those unfamiliar with either, just think "The Madness of King Scar" (MoKS) but substitute in Sarabi for Nala and correct for time. That'll work. An off-shoot of this theory had Mufasa giving Scar his namesake instead of Sarabi, but pretty much for the same reasons.
Coincidentally, and perhaps it's where Ms. Morgan drew her inspiration from, there was during TLK's production the idea that Scar should ask Sarabi to be his queen, with Sarabi refusing (again, think MoKS, but Sarabi instead of Nala). Though it would have drawn more Hamlet parallels, the scene was dropped as being too intense for the children. As a footnote's further footnote, both Sarabi and Scar's entries in the Encyclopedia of Walt Disney's Animated Characters (an official Disney publication) state that the film at least implies that Sarabi became Scar's queen. Of course, this was published before SP's release, so take that as you will.

And I think I've said more than enough for one night. Snowy out.

Huma
March 2nd, 2004, 12:00 AM
[wipe away sweat], finshed, [pant], I'd be more careful [pant] to follow your post [pant] next time.

No kidding, surprisingly wide knowledge of either fanfic or fanon(Is that termed by you?), tho I'm not familiar with your quotings, that MoKS authentically worked well.

Since I've never read TLK6NA and you do have read The CotPL no matter how much, the conclusion is always yours. For my personal attitude, basically, I don't care either it is cannon or fanfic. A work that is as huge as TLK is necessarily, in some degree, out of author's control and live with its own life. Both cannon or fanfic are possibilities. Whichever you prefer as the story in your view, there's nothing right or wrong.

Glad to see your discussion, especially the part about TLK6NA, It's really attractive and helpful. After all, It is your fault to make me impatient before I can get the book.:grrr:

Snowy
March 2nd, 2004, 04:46 AM
Heh, I should include warnings with my posts. In other forums people are familiar enough with me to know that I can post literally pages on a topic...often all at once. ;)

Anyway, no, I can't take credit for the term "fanon," despite how often I find myself using it. I saw it in one of fanfic.net's columns. *digs around* This one (http://www.fanfiction.net/column.php?columnissueid=493) in fact. The term itself seems to be common within certain circles (the fanfic writer's circuit in particular, or so the columnist claims), but beyond that I couldn't tell you where it originally comes from. As per the column itself, it's an interesting read, if nothing else. It fairly well sums up why I'm typically quick to separate canon and fanon in discussions like this.

To which, even "canon" has its varying definitions and intensities.
In the broad sense, "canon" only comes from the company of origin -- in TLK's case, Disney. That's why I view TLK6NA as canon and thus of greater consideration and weight than even the most well-written fanfiction: It's Disney-sanctioned material (never mind that they seem to have disavowed all knowledge of its existence following SP's release), and actually of rather high-quality at that when you consider that it's still essentially a children's book.
More narrowly, "canon" could mean only the films. Some fandoms have published novels that actually expand upon the universe and not just rehash the movie/show (Star Wars and Star Trek both come to mind here). Within these fandoms and with this particular interpretation of canon, only the films/shows would be seen as canon while the novels and other printed works are but sanctioned fanfiction (which, for TLK, would make the prevalence of TLK6NA's prequel names -- Ahadi and Taka most especially -- as much fanon as anything else).
Even more narrowly, "canon" may only apply to dramatic story installments or elements. For TLK, that would mean the recent 1.5 would be Disney-sanctioned, animated fan-humor, but not canon in any but the most distant way (which, honestly, makes it easier to accept some of the irreverance and scene changes).
It gets narrower still, with only works coming from at least the original writers being considered canon. Since a couple members of TLK's production crew helped with expanding upon TLK for TLKoB, the musical would be grouped with the canon, but SP would not (more than once I've heard SP referred to as "an animated fanfiction").
And then there are those who only see the original film as canon and that's the end of that, with everything else being fancy treatments of fanfiction.

So, depending upon how one chooses to define "canon," any given fanfic may or may not cause conflict with it. This is particularly true when you get various canonical sources contradicting one another, and so personal fan preference steps in. For example, while reconciling TLK6NA and SP is not wholly impossible, it does take a bit of work, especially where Kopa is concerned. Similarly, there are two different Disney versions for how Zazu became majordomo: One provided in TLK6NA and the other in the Goldenbook Friends in Need. Both are technically canon, yet invariably you're going to have to choose one over the other as the "truth."

And then there are the stickier things, the bits-and-pieces of any given potential canon source (that is, in this case, anything from Disney). I'll admit, there are parts of TLK6NA that do not work well for me, for all that I'm otherwise quite pleased with the set. These I try to ignore as best I can, so as not to cause me undue grief. In particular, one of the books has a couple extra adult males living with the pride. The films and real lion behavior contradict this, so I consider it a flub and not to be taken as canon. Similarly, the discrepancy in Ahadi's appearance between the text and the illustrations I choose to ignore in favor of the illustrated design, feeling as I do that that one's better backed by other aspects of the canon.

That sort of variability and freedom of interpretation can provide wonderful opportunities for expanding creatively upon the canon, whatever you may decide it to be for you. It is the old double-edged sword, however, in that such a fluid and sometimes contradictory canon can potentially spark divisive factions -- the Taka-Scar debacles being a case in point right there, for all that fanon factors into it. "Live and let live," eh? :hugs:

Glad to see your discussion, especially the part about TLK6NA, It's really attractive and helpful. After all, It is your fault to make me impatient before I can get the book.

Heh, now you've got me worried that I've sung its praises too much and you'll be disappointed. :badnews: Make no mistake, it has errors in it and there are those that despise it as vehemently as they do SP or 1.5. Take it for what it is, first and foremost: A literary sequel (and occasional prequel and "interquel") from before Disney animated such things, true, but like its animated counterparts it is designed to entertain the kids. It merely has the added advantage of not making the parents want to gouge their eyes out when they're enlisted to read the prerequisite bedtime story. Though, in truth, I have yet to determine if the third book, "Vulture Shock," succeeded in this last. Two words: Rapping vultures. You heard me. Be afraid. Be very afraid. "Upendi" might just look more tolerable once you've seen that. :eek:

For reference, then, TLK6NA lines up for me as, from best to worst in the set:
Book one, "A Tale of Two Brothers"
Book two, "Nala's Dare"
Book five, "Follow the Leader"
Book six, "How True, Zazu?"
Book four, "A Snake in the Grass"
Book three, "Vulture Shock"
That's also Snowy's guide to what you should shell your money out for if you find only an incomplete set (or individual books) on eBay. ;)

And once again I've probably gone on far longer than necessary. I should really learn how to be less verbose and more concise. :o

Sadiki
March 2nd, 2004, 06:49 AM
I like your post. Even thoes are long but after all inside of text need all thoes words. so keep going :cheese:
*hugs snowy*

Fuzzy
March 2nd, 2004, 07:41 AM
I still need to pick those up someplace :(

Ngatuny
March 2nd, 2004, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Mushroom
Yeah Ngatuny! That would be soo cool!

:ayecapn: Then count on it, I will post a thread when they are ready.:D:cheese:

Huma
March 4th, 2004, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by Snowy
Heh, now you've got me worried that I've sung its praises too much and you'll be disappointed

I will never be disappointed bt TLK stuff, but I was disappointed by ebay. I'm so lucky to find a TLK6NA set yesterday, someone overbid me while i was sleeping. The auction ended before I notice, that guy won by $26.00.

Sharifu
March 4th, 2004, 07:58 AM
I was lucky when I found a set on ebay with a Buy it Now option for only $8.00... Obviously the seller didn't know how much TLK fans are willing to pay for these sets. Just keep looking, I'm sure you will find another set. You might get lucky and get one for cheap.

Snowy
March 4th, 2004, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by Huma
I will never be disappointed bt TLK stuff, but I was disappointed by ebay. I'm so lucky to find a TLK6NA set yesterday, someone overbid me while i was sleeping. The auction ended before I notice, that guy won by $26.00.

Sniper bid? I hate those. :grrr: Don't despair, though, as the set tends to show up on eBay (in whole or in parts) fairly regularly. When I'm actively and regularly looking, I don't think I've seen it go more than a couple months without another one of decent quality and most of the books present popping up. My advice would be to use varied and rather broad searches -- "lion king book," "lion king grolier", even simply "lion king" -- if you aren't already, since not all sellers list the set by proper name. True, you wind up having to wade through a lot of stuff you're not looking for, but you're also less likely to miss it should you have the time to do that wading. Good luck. :)

Sharifu
March 4th, 2004, 08:22 AM
My advice would be to use varied and rather broad searches -- "lion king book," "lion king grolier", even simply "lion king" -- if you aren't already, since not all sellers list the set by proper name. True, you wind up having to wade through a lot of stuff you're not looking for, but you're also less likely to miss it should you have the time to do that wading. Good luck. :)

Yes, that is good advice, that's what I did. The auction I won, I think think the title was, "6 Lion King Books" Or something like that. The bookcase was included too. So you gotta do a lot of searching. But I wish you luck as well. :-)

Sadiki
March 4th, 2004, 10:42 AM
Damn I like to get thoes books I really want thoes... but there is no chace taht I can buy them from E-bay or place like that... because I can't get Pay Pal to work

Snowy
March 4th, 2004, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by SimbaTheMighty
Damn I like to get thoes books I really want thoes... but there is no chace taht I can buy them from E-bay or place like that... because I can't get Pay Pal to work

You don't always need PayPal. I've made many a purchase on eBay without ever signing up for that service. So long as the seller takes other forms of payment (money orders are the way I typically pay), PayPal shouldn't be an issue.

unregistered user
March 4th, 2004, 11:16 PM
WHoa! Very interesting posts everyone! I loved learning more about Scar, how he got his "scar", etc. My I.Q has risen quite a bit now, LOL! Thanks everyone! :cheese:

Ngatuny:Sounds great NG! Looking forward to them! :)

Sharifu
March 4th, 2004, 11:45 PM
You don't always need PayPal. I've made many a purchase on eBay without ever signing up for that service. So long as the seller takes other forms of payment (money orders are the way I typically pay), PayPal shouldn't be an issue.

Yeah I went over two years of using ebay without ever signing up for PayPal. Money orders are the way I usually pay too. I bought my set of these books with a money order. ;)

Vidan
March 5th, 2004, 06:54 AM
I stopped by a used book store today and, lo and behold, there was a copy of this six-volume set. That was kind of random, because I only went in to kill a little time and found something for which I'd been on the look-out for a few weeks.

I'm going to Michigan in a few hours for a work-related conference. Should be there for six days. So I'll read one per night and write a summary of each--should help with my fan fiction. I'll post the summaries next week if anyone's interested.

Ngatuny
March 5th, 2004, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by DarkFuzzy
I stopped by a used book store today and, low and behold, there was a copy of this six-volume set. That was kind of random, because I only went in to kill a little time and found something for which I'd been on the look-out for a few weeks.

I'm going to Michigan in a few hours for a work-related conference. Should be there for six days. So I'll read one per night and write a summary of each--should help with my fan fiction. I'll post the summaries next week if anyone's interested.

That is how I got my set too, and good luck on your trip.

unregistered user
March 5th, 2004, 08:35 AM
Michigan eh DarkFuzzy? That's cool, welcome to my home! XD It's boring but 'be it ever so humble, there's no place like home' =P

Sadiki
March 5th, 2004, 08:38 PM
Have nice trip and remeber to read thoes books in plain... I miss you already Like I tell you before :(

unregistered user
March 5th, 2004, 10:29 PM
*waves to DarkFuzzy as he enters Michigan* Heya :) hehe I'm goofy.

Vidan
March 11th, 2004, 07:13 AM
Well I'm back. Michigan ... nice place, good people. A welcome change from the overwhelming busy-ness of the Bay Area. Michigan wasn't too bad the past week. Only 2 days of snow out of five, and I seemed to have missed some of this heat wave here on the west coast.

But back to the topic at hand, I didn't actually get around to reading all of the books (as much as I told myself I wasn't going to ... yeah, I went drinking, quite a bit). But now that I have time to recuperate from all this traveling, I hope to finish them and post those outlines soon. :)

Ngatuny
March 11th, 2004, 04:18 PM
:D Welcome back DarkFuzzy

Sharifu
March 11th, 2004, 10:37 PM
Welcome back DarkFuzzy! I've been to Michigan before, about 9 years ago! I have relatives there! :p

unregistered user
March 12th, 2004, 12:12 AM
Welcome back DarkFuzzy! Glad you're back! :cool:

Vidan
March 12th, 2004, 08:57 AM
Thanks, guys. Glad to be back in action.

unregistered user
March 13th, 2004, 10:44 PM
*holds up Michigan Rulez shirt* XD j/k I don't care for my state, but I'm really off topic XD um.. so lol

SimbaLKD
March 26th, 2004, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by Woes of Folly
I stopped by a used book store today and, lo and behold, there was a copy of this six-volume set. That was kind of random, because I only went in to kill a little time and found something for which I'd been on the look-out for a few weeks.

I think i will try this method!!:cheese:

Vidan
March 26th, 2004, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by SimbaLKD
I think i will try this method!!:cheese:

You mean to find the books? Or read them?

Can't say I was very successful with the plot summaries, though. (Darn short attention span :grr: )

SimbaLKD
March 26th, 2004, 09:03 AM
:lol: LOL that bad huh... lol.. but i was refering to getting 'em ;)

unregistered user
March 26th, 2004, 09:56 AM
Yeah, getting them is the easy part..reading them is another story :)

Naline
March 26th, 2004, 10:10 AM
I thought reading them was the story, how are you gonna get it any other way!!! ;)

unregistered user
March 26th, 2004, 10:14 AM
Meditation duuuuuh ;)

You sit and you hold the bock to you're forehead then go....aauuuum...aaauuuuum...aauuuuum

and you have to see it like a movie instead of reading it...
If you wanna read it you have to pay 1 $ extra to the meditation facility...

Anyways not to go waay off topic...Taka owns Scar!!!1!! And if I have said that before il say it again!!

SimbaLKD
April 11th, 2004, 10:11 AM
in future referance to anyone finding this thread 100 years from now and hoping to find the books, search over at nala.at (if its still around in 100 years)

There i have said my time cap. peice ;)

Also you can be refered to

That Other Thread Like this one (http://leahalalela.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=610)

unregistered user
April 11th, 2004, 10:13 AM
*stirs out of his meditation...*

Who have awaken me?!

Well, I doubt the world will be around in 100 years

SimbaLKD
April 11th, 2004, 10:14 AM
hmmm... maybe thats what they will say when i goto Easter service in a few hours ;)

unregistered user
April 11th, 2004, 10:15 AM
I hope by now that everyone knows that Taka was Scar's name O___o ......=P

unregistered user
April 11th, 2004, 10:15 AM
Yeah..but if you read the book and look at the movie..Taka has a soul :)

SimbaLKD
April 11th, 2004, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Timon
I hope by now that everyone knows that Taka was Scar's name O___o ......=P

Makes better sense as he was like the only one with out a swahili type name...

unregistered user
April 11th, 2004, 10:18 AM
;)

unregistered user
April 11th, 2004, 10:19 AM
I dont know how I got it..but right now I just got a pic of Zazu and Scar sitting on a jumbo jet going to afrika for the shooting of TLK...they are of course both drinking brandy and smoking cigarrs

SimbaLKD
April 11th, 2004, 10:20 AM
:lol: That was so random doood!!

to much CS for us 747 level!!

Dude... we should make a TLK mod for HL.....or on second thought... NO!

unregistered user
April 11th, 2004, 10:21 AM
O____o

Calaethis
April 11th, 2004, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Ruska

Okay then. This has been tickling my mind for a while now, few months or so.

What's the secret Taka changing his name to Scar? I mean, what's this Taka thing all about? Was it behore the scar or what?

And now I'm confusing myself. :thinks:

Fanon, I guess.

SimbaLKD
April 11th, 2004, 10:26 AM
I'll bet ruska hasn't read the book? ;)

unregistered user
April 11th, 2004, 10:27 AM
It went pretty good for me on that map ;)

Sadiki
April 11th, 2004, 10:32 AM
I'll bet ruska hasn't read the book? ;)

I guess so too ;)

unregistered user
April 11th, 2004, 11:50 AM
Makes better sense as he was like the only one with out a swahili type name...

He and Ed. Are there any theories about Ed? ;)

sanngi_kujieleza
November 8th, 2005, 11:14 AM
hey ppl! k da taka thin rite see taka is scar`s real actual name because of some incident he got a scar therefore he is called scar what waz da incident we shall never know some say his dad wacked him some say he fought with mufasa some say he got it while huntin on his own!

Bahati
November 8th, 2005, 02:32 PM
Heck of a necro, this is. Incidentially, Sanri, I can just manage to stumble through the meaning of your post. Consider using proper spelling, grammar, and capitalization in future posts.

Sharifu
November 9th, 2005, 07:44 AM
Yeah Sanri that was really hard reading your post. :confused:

Kintaru
November 9th, 2005, 08:17 AM
I understand that Taka is the widely accepted name for Scar before his, well... Scar. But personally I prefer scar, for this reason.

Yes, Disney has released a lot of different little stories and different things about the ancestory and history of the pride. But I like to see TLK from the point of view of the movie. It just seems that a lot of this stuff was mainly created because of the endless pestering of the fans. Cause I mean honestly, do you really think the writers considered who the parents of Mufasa and Scar, etc should be?

I highly doubt it, but the fan base wanted answers to everything, every conceivable plot hole, so all these things were created as merchandise to answer these nagging questions. I understand that they are disney products, but I don't hold them to the same level as the movies, as I think they were quickly produced to appease the masses. I have nothing against Taka, but I still view him as scar, through and through.

Ralli
November 9th, 2005, 08:48 PM
Kintaru...you took the words right out of my mouth. That's my view as well.

chaotic serenit
November 10th, 2005, 04:51 AM
Yes, Disney has released a lot of different little stories and different things about the ancestory and history of the pride. But I like to see TLK from the point of view of the movie. It just seems that a lot of this stuff was mainly created because of the endless pestering of the fans. Cause I mean honestly, do you really think the writers considered who the parents of Mufasa and Scar, etc should be?

To be fair, somebody ultimately did. The SNA books even give us Mufasa and Scar's grandfather - Mohatu (sp?). Mind you, alot of TLK2 knocks the books right out of the water in terms of canon...

Although I agree that it really shouldn't be an issue of conflict. If you're writing fanfiction that requires a reference, it definitely provides a decent base, but all the same, it's an obscure enough source that most people really won't care if you run right over it with your own ideas. Taka, in itself, is only really well known because of the efforts of the widely read John Burkitt and company.

Azerane
November 10th, 2005, 07:23 AM
Ok, so maybe he was called Taka before he obtained his scar, but I just call him Scar as I don't really think of him outside the world of the first lion king movie.

chaotic serenit
November 10th, 2005, 07:25 AM
And that's fine. I think TLK fans should probably handle these added sources the way Star Wars fans do with the expanded universe - although the novels and comics written by other authors add some fascinating characteristics to the universe, the movies ultimately remain the highest form of canon and are given foremost precedence in discussion.

Patches
November 11th, 2005, 03:37 AM
Scar's not supposed to have a background because yanno, Disney just made him evil. You're supposed to accept it. Having a background, you might sympathize with him and lord knows they don't want that. *sarcasm off* :P
I prefer Scar. Whatever messed him up happened when he had his 'other name' I'm sure. .:cuddles with him and purrs:.

chaotic serenit
November 11th, 2005, 06:22 AM
I don't think the concern is as much about feeling sympathy for Scar as much as confusion over what's considered canon. In my experience in situations like this - i.e. Star Wars - it's easier just to keep the movies as the highest canon, with all others coming after it.

And, if anything, the books do less to dispel the idea of Scar's evil than the books do. There's a story of how the old boy got his scar, and, well, he's still a jerk in it, even when they're younger. I was willing to give the guy the benefit of some doubt regarding his youth thanks to what TLKoB did with his character, but the books seem to knock that out of the water.

Regardless, I can understand why some people take issue with the books. It's not so much that they don't appreciate the effort taken to reveal some of Scar's past, as much as the idea that some fans take it and run with it, completely destroying certain characteristics of his persona. I mean, Scar having some reason for what he did is one thing. Turning Scar into a sympathy case is quite another.

Princess~Sasha
November 18th, 2005, 02:35 AM
he was named Taka from his father and is father never really liked him.. and then he got his scar.. so he named him self scar!!!

Princess~Sasha
November 18th, 2005, 02:37 AM
i am new.. are you guys?

Princess~Sasha
November 18th, 2005, 02:37 AM
yep.. all alone :alone:

Xinithian
November 18th, 2005, 04:06 AM
^Do not double post, please.

It may take a while to get responses in some topics. You must be patient.

Princess~Sasha
November 18th, 2005, 10:46 PM
make me be patient! :me too:

Princess~Sasha
November 18th, 2005, 10:47 PM
:metoo:*

Kovu The Lion
November 18th, 2005, 11:09 PM
hey stop double posting >_> there is something called the "Edit button' If you made a mistake then use the edit button to edit your mistake :P

~KTL~

ChildOfThePride
November 19th, 2005, 01:05 AM
I agree with the others...>.>

Stop double posting, in fact it will turn people OFF from posting after you.

Akiko
November 20th, 2005, 01:00 AM
I agree with what most everyone else is saying here, the movies are top when it comes to canon information. I found the little books quite interesting though, and I do think the name Taka could work for Scar as a cub. If you ignore the "how he got his scar" story in the books or not, it's still a good name. Afterall, what parents would name their child "Scar"? Although Taka itself suggests his parents weren't all that loving of him...from what I've read "Taka" is african for "trash" or something along those lines. :nukawha:

Those of us who love to explore the story and characters more certainly may find use of a former name for Scar. Although nothing's official unless disney themselves release a pre-equal that tells us more information, and I actually think a movie of Scar, Mufasa and the others when they were young would prove very interesting. Then again, knowing disney they'd make little Scar naturally evil. Personally I don't think anyone starts off evil, events happen that cause a person to take a certain path.

If the books were so official, why then was Kopa changed to Kiara in Simba's Pride? Scar/Taka and his story of how he got his scar really can't be considered anymore truthful than that. Kiara had a nicer, and more original design than Kopa. He was cool, but c'mon...his appearance was more or less a clone of little Simba with a tuft of a mane. In a tale of two brothers we only saw an adolescent Taka, who had already started to sway to the side of evil. :evilgrin:

Now what of cub Taka? Certainly he didn't start out with such a hatred for his brother. That's where we come in, people write all kinds of interesting stories on their pasts. Although none of these can be thought of as canon either, they're fun to read and write.

To sum it all up, we probably won't find out the truth...disney themselves probably hasn't thought on it too much. If they do release it in the form of a movie or a series, then awesome...and then we'll get our facts.

note: I did read a while ago that a tv series much along the lines of the jungle cub was considered for the lion king. Although this rumor was posted quite a while ago and I'm not sure if it was even true, it would certainly be a fun little cartoon. I'm pretty sure we won't get anymore tlk movies out of them, considering they've already released them all as a complete set...perhaps we'll get a cartoon show though. That could prove a good thing or not, it depends on what they do with the characters and plots. Anyone have any thoughts on that.

TheUnknownSoul
November 20th, 2005, 04:20 AM
Taka doesnt just mean trash. It also means wish or want, need, and cloth XD

the wish or want makes sense to me :3

(to lazy to read entire thread)

I dont agree with the 6NA explination for his scar, but thats just me. i think if he'd been hit in the wyw by a buffalo horn, he'd....have no eye left D:

Lion~lover
November 21st, 2005, 01:59 AM
Yeah i agree with Unknown Soul:thinks: