PDA

View Full Version : TLK SE Collector's Set $39 in Canada

Mufasa
October 6th, 2003, 06:50 AM
Heads up to my fellow Canadians, The Real Canadian Superstore in the Vancouver area is selling the TLK SE Collector's Set for $39 CDN. That's the best price I've seen advertised so far! :D

For the rest of Canada (as far as I know), Wal-Mart and Future Shop are selling the set for $42 CDN.

I pre-ordered the set from Amazon.ca where it's also $42 but with free shipping and a $5 coupon, I'm happy. If anyone wants the coupon code I'll glady give it to them. :evilgrin:

CW Tyger
October 6th, 2003, 09:32 AM
Heh, small isolated city here with none of those stores! We have a Video Express though, and they're very good.

Mufasa
October 9th, 2003, 01:37 AM
As I'm sure most of us have heard by now, Disney altered some scenes from the original TLK for the IMAX and DVD releases. The SE DVD is excellent but this really bugs me. How much further will Disney go to "improve" their classic movies? :grrr:

This is but one example of the blasphemy they've committed:

http://members.shaw.ca/phantomx86/oldcrocs.jpg

Original TLK crocodiles from "I Just Can't Wait to be King"

http://members.shaw.ca/phantomx86/newcrocs.jpg

New IMAX and DVD TLK crocodiles from "I Just Can't Wait to be King"

Link: http://www.animationnation.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=006655;p=

Sarabi
October 9th, 2003, 02:02 AM
It really upsets me. They have lost so much of their love for this movie, and we are the ones who suffer the loss. As long as they see the dough, they obviously no longer care for "masterpieces".

CW Tyger
October 9th, 2003, 07:19 AM
Heh, now I know how the lionesses felt when Simba told him he was responsible for Mufasa's death. "It's not true. Tell me it's not true!" :Ohno:

unregistered user
October 9th, 2003, 09:41 AM
Ehhhhhh, crocodiles looks kinda handicaped in the new wersion o.O bahhhhh

but thats not the worst, I think..... The new version of those birds are so, ehhmm, ugly! In the original version they looked so beautifull and realistic, but now? It looks like a cheap cartoon, drawn for 4 to 5 year old childrens :eww:

Sarabi
October 9th, 2003, 03:33 PM
:badnews: Definitely, guys. Definitely. Bad stuff, bad stuff.

unregistered user
October 9th, 2003, 06:37 PM
yes is bad, but is only 2 ou 3 seconds of the movie the part with the crocodile. that will not broke my pleasure of have and see the lion king on DVD.

Mufasa
October 12th, 2003, 11:09 PM
Rejoice! The re-release of TLK on DVD and VHS has been a roaring success! (Like we doubted it.) :lol:

Buena Vista Home Entertainment, under whose umbrella Walt Disney Video falls, reports that the title sold 3 million units in its first days on sale. Buena Vista senior VP of marketing Gordon Ho says, "This will be one of our biggest shipments of all time." Disney is expected to announce first-week sales numbers on "The Lion King" Tuesday (Oct. 14).

Link: http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20031011/film_nm/film_lion_dvd_dc_1

unregistered user
October 13th, 2003, 09:35 PM
Is comming out the 15 october here in france, i will running buy it the first day for be sure to not have a out of stock :)

unregistered user
October 14th, 2003, 01:51 AM
That is excellent news indeed! I thought it would sell well, after all, it's hard NOT to like the movie.

Shawchert
October 15th, 2003, 01:33 PM
yeah it did sell well 3m in two days!!!! it is amazing!!!

Sharifu
October 17th, 2003, 12:34 AM
Yeah, I got the Collector's Set for $38.00. I got my set at Costco, it's the best price I could find.

Sharifu
October 17th, 2003, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by Ziba
The new version of those birds are so, ehhmm, ugly! In the original version they looked so beautifull and realistic, but now? It looks like a cheap cartoon, drawn for 4 to 5 year old childrens :eww:

I know! I like how the birds look in the original version! They do look beautiful and realistic. And I hate how the crocodiles look, it seems like they move too slow also. I remember hearing about this before The Lion King was shown on IMAX. When I saw The Lion King on IMAX, I did notice the change. Why did Disney change that scene? What was wrong with the old one?

Shawchert
October 17th, 2003, 12:50 AM
is that some kinda joke? after they said they wanted to put hard work into it they just wanna make it look like something oyut of pokemon???

CW Tyger
October 17th, 2003, 09:42 PM
From Official U.S. Playstation Magazine, November 2003 (all typos are my own, except for "humor"... ;) ):

"This film was created at the height of the most recent golden age of Disney animation, which, alas, appears to be crashing and burning. The Lion King shows what Disney did right: This is an epic story of murder, revenge, and kingdoms, craftily disguised as a cuddly film about animals. The artistic design is brilliant and stretches to accompany everything from low humor to sinister high art (the echoes of Leni Riefenstahl are a nice, nasty touch), and Jeremy Irons and animator Andreas Deja turn in one of the great animated performances with Scar, the vain usurper. Even the music is tolerable. This DVD package provides a special edition of the film (with an additional song, ? la Beauty and the Beast) as well as the original film, commentary tracks, deleted scenes, sing-alongs, and music videos, plus a second DVD that tracks the progression of the material through production. including the hit stage version. Get it. Who knows is Disney animation will ever be this good again."

Movie Score: 5/5
DVD Extras Score: 4/5

As it turns out, that's the highest score of the month, tied with the Indiana Jones boxed set. At least the magazine's worth something, other than a means to get a PS2 demo disc. You won't believe the amount of ads that can be present in one magazine... :grrr:

Any other reviews found on- or off-line?

unregistered user
October 17th, 2003, 11:19 PM
I go to this site a lot, and I forgot about the review this site gave LK:PE. Go Here (http://www.dvdtoons.com/reviews/234) to check it out!

unregistered user
October 17th, 2003, 11:23 PM
I understand why everyone is disappointed, but it still shouldn't take away from TLK. I still enjoy the DVD very much, even with Disney's mistakes.

Mufasa
October 18th, 2003, 05:29 AM
Here's a couple reviews from two of my favourite DVD sites:

Home Theater Forum: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=161157

The Digital Bits: http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviews3/lionking.html

Sadiki
October 26th, 2003, 10:29 PM
Well in TLK DVD mutch better qualitty and mutch of information from TLK so that's why i buy it. ( i have TLK in finnish&english and TLK 2 in finnish&english). So there is mutch simple things that all is good to check out.

unregistered user
October 27th, 2003, 11:22 PM
I just wanted to point out another flaw in the DVD. When I was watching "Hyenas" in the "Animals" section, they were calling an African Wild Dog a Striped Hyena! That was so lame! They should have known better than that! Stupid Disney...:rolleyes:

unregistered user
October 27th, 2003, 11:26 PM
Here's a pic of a Wild Dog----http://www.blueplanetbiomes.org/images/african_wild_dog.jpg

And here's a Striped Hyena----http://www.123spot.com/images/hyenas/strip3.jpg

See the difference?

Mufasa
October 28th, 2003, 06:15 PM
That's what happens when you have people that don't know what they're doing working on stuff. On Disney's website they reference the adult Simba model as being Mufasa. :horror:

unregistered user
October 28th, 2003, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Mufasa
On Disney's website they reference the adult Simba model as being Mufasa. :horror: Man, that's so retarded!

Shawchert
October 29th, 2003, 12:39 AM
lol well people do make mistakes, >.< but it would be nice to fix them lol

Mufasa
October 30th, 2003, 03:47 AM
Disney?s The Lion King
Platinum Edition DVD ? 1994 (2003)

By Mufasa (leahalalela.com)

http://www.leahalalela.com/images/reviews/tlkdvd1.jpg

It was supposed to be a filler movie to wet the public?s appetite until Pocahontas was released the following summer. Instead, The Lion King left Pocahontas in the dust and went on to become the highest grossing animated movie (traditional) of all time.

After nine years, The Lion King has finally come home to DVD.

http://www.leahalalela.com/images/reviews/tlkdvd2.jpg

Movie 9/10
The film is of course, exceptional. Everyone here knows the story so there?s no reason to go over it. But one thing worth mentioning is the highly hyped ?All New Song? that is included in this release: Morning Report. The movie suffers with this addition because it slows down the pacing and feels awkwardly placed. Fortunately, there is an option to watch the original version of the movie which is much better.

http://www.leahalalela.com/images/reviews/tlkdvd5.jpg

Picture 10/10
The best part of the new DVD is the picture. Presented in an anamorphic 1.66:1 widescreen ratio, The Lion King has never looked this good. Throw away those old VHS tapes (keep those Laserdiscs for the extras) because the difference is night and day. But, and there?s always a but, Disney changed a few frames of animation. Most notorious are the singing crocodiles from ?I Just Can?t Wait to Be King? as seen below:

http://www.leahalalela.com/images/reviews/tlkdvd3.jpg

Other modifications include the waterfalls from ?Can You Feel the Love Tonight? and the controversial ?SFX? dust Simba left in the air on a cliff near the end of the movie. Some parents complained that the dust spelled out ?SEX? and that it was inappropriate for their children to see that word. Stupid. Nevertheless, while these changes do hinder the film in its original form, the quantum leap in image quality more than enough makes up for it.

http://www.leahalalela.com/images/reviews/tlkdvd4.jpg

Sound 10/10
The sound on the DVD is phenomenal. The Dolby Digital 5.1 track is great but where the sound really shines is in the Disney Enhanced Home Theatre Mix. If you have the proper setup, The Lion King will sound better at home then it ever did at the theatre.

http://www.leahalalela.com/images/reviews/tlkdvd6.jpg

Extras 7/10
The extras included on the DVD are mostly superficial. How popular The Lion King has become etc. Many of the extras from the Laserdisc were not included which is unfortunate because those extras were much more interesting than the DVD ones. Some of the highlights from the DVD extras are three deleted scenes (all featuring Timon and Pumbaa) and an audio commentary with the directors.

Overall 36/40
Go get it, what are you waiting for!

http://www.leahalalela.com/images/reviews/tlkdvd7.jpg

unregistered user
October 30th, 2003, 04:01 AM
Excellant review your Highness! I liked what you said about keeping the LD version of TLK!(to bad I don't have one.) That's what some of the other sites said about the LD too. I guess us TLKers think alike! LOL!

CW Tyger
October 30th, 2003, 09:01 AM
After reading a review like this, I'm wondering if you should look into doing something like that for a living. You're good at it.

Zala
October 30th, 2003, 02:51 PM
Yah! Mufasa! You're a superb reviewer! ^_^

Mufasa
October 30th, 2003, 11:06 PM
Thanks! :lol:

I plan on reviewing Simba's Pride next for those living in a cave the last few years. :cheese:

unregistered user
November 2nd, 2003, 06:41 PM
Fantastic. Indeed you've inherited some of the brains in the family, brother. :jejeje:

Mufasa
November 4th, 2003, 07:39 PM
Now that the TLK DVD has been released in most regions of the world, the question is do you have it yet? :cheese:

Calaethis
November 4th, 2003, 08:12 PM
I'm broke. -_-

unregistered user
November 4th, 2003, 08:18 PM
Got it on the Swedeish release date: 15 october! Have only watched the whole movie once. The same with the second disc, extra-material.

Sadiki
November 4th, 2003, 08:23 PM
Got that DVD 20 october and i have watched that movie 5 times now ^^

:cheese:

Princess Nala
November 4th, 2003, 09:16 PM
i got it the day it came out...and i cant count how many times I've watched it

Sadiki
November 4th, 2003, 09:25 PM
well that DVD comes out 20 october in Finland so me too ^^

unregistered user
November 4th, 2003, 11:20 PM
Got the dvd the 15 october ( come here the 15 october in france)

unregistered user
November 5th, 2003, 04:24 AM
Got it, watched it, and enjoyed it! Of course, I wish it included a little more extras. Some T.V trailers would have been nice, and the "Making of The Lion King" was a must! I remember mom recorded it when it first aired back in 94' on the Disney Channel, but it's been long gone. Does anyone know where you can get it at?

Sharifu
November 5th, 2003, 07:28 AM
Of course I have it, I got it the first day. And we have a new Widescreen TV and The Lion King looks great on it! ^_^ And I just love the Home Theater Mix!

Sadiki
November 5th, 2003, 10:02 AM
i see that almoust everyone here have buy that DVD first day when it comes ^_^

:D:cheese:

unregistered user
November 6th, 2003, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by SimbaTheMighty
i see that almoust everyone here have buy that DVD first day when it comes ^_^

:D:cheese: Oh yeah!!! Even though we were disappointed with some of the features.

unregistered user
November 6th, 2003, 09:55 PM
Yeah, the old LaserDisc material should have been included.

Ansem:

Got it, watched it, and enjoyed it! Of course, I wish it included a little more extras. Some T.V trailers would have been nice, and the "Making of The Lion King" was a must! I remember mom recorded it when it first aired back in 94' on the Disney Channel, but it's been long gone. Does anyone know where you can get it at?

I think that it's included on the laserdiscs. But it's a hell to buy it. eBay? An of course you have to get a Laserdisc-player.

The Home Theater mix is great. But is it in DTS in all countries? Here in Sweden it is.

unregistered user
November 7th, 2003, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by Ckytep
Yeah, the old LaserDisc material should have been included.

Ansem:

I think that it's included on the laserdiscs. But it's a hell to buy it. eBay? An of course you have to get a Laserdisc-player.

The Home Theater mix is great. But is it in DTS in all countries? Here in Sweden it is. Ah man! I hate it when you have to by old technalogy just to get what you want. I'll think I'll pass on the LD, unless I find a cheap player or something. Thanks for the help!

Mufasa
November 7th, 2003, 05:07 AM
I forgot to mention that I have the DVD too. :idiot:

It's a shame about the Making of The Lion King documentary because our next chance to see this won't be for another ten years (and that's only if Disney decides to include it in the next release). :grrr:

CW Tyger
November 7th, 2003, 08:54 AM
I don't have a DVD player, or else I'd have the special edition by now! Ah well, I'll skip the DVD player, and just get a PS2. Video games + DVDs in one machine? Heaven!

Sharifu
November 7th, 2003, 09:26 AM
I have the Making of The Lion King on VHS, so I'm lucky, I've seen it before. But it would of been nice if it was including on the DVD! I'm surprised it wasn't!

Sadiki
November 7th, 2003, 10:52 AM
I don't have a DVD player, or else I'd have the special edition by now! Ah well, I'll skip the DVD player, and just get a PS2. Video games + DVDs in one machine? Heaven!

you are right that is right because thet is not expensive and whit PS2 you can play games+watch DVD and play music.

:cheese:

unregistered user
November 9th, 2003, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by Sharifu
I have the Making of The Lion King on VHS, so I'm lucky, I've seen it before. But it would of been nice if it was including on the DVD! I'm surprised it wasn't! I wish I could find it.:alone:

Sharifu
November 9th, 2003, 05:34 AM
Try ebay! That's where I got my copy a few years ago.

Naline
January 30th, 2004, 03:35 PM
Okay, i was really bored last night so i thought, i know, i think i'll watch the lion king SE Dvd, but i dont like the morning report sequence so i'll just swap it over to 'Original Theatrical Trailer'. but whilst doing that i saw the 'Audio Commentary' option!!!

Now i've never ever watched an audio commentary before (can u watch audio) but i thought, you know, its TLK so its gotta be good ;)

Anyways, it was REALLY interesting, i didn't know they made SOOO many changes to the story, so many little things that i learnt that i havn't seen on any websites! For example, the vultures, in the scene where simbas unconscious in the desert (when timon and pumbaa first appear) were originally characters and said funny things to simba!!

Anyway, what i was gonna ask is: Has anyone else seen/heard the audio commmentary??

p.s. If you havn't, watch it!:D

unregistered user
January 30th, 2004, 04:18 PM
Yep :)

I always look for commentary, after i watched the movie once without it of course :)

unregistered user
January 30th, 2004, 04:30 PM
I've got about 80 dvd's, and all the ones that have audio commentary on them I have seen........except TLK! :idiot: DUH! I dont know how I ever missed that it even HAD one! Thanks for the input Naline!
:=):

Ruska
January 30th, 2004, 04:33 PM
I'm almost always too lazy to check those. ^_^
I tried to watch the audio commentary in Spirited Away but then I totally forgot it since I just had to go to the bathroom and when I came out of course I didn't remember what was I doing. ^_^
Yum, should watch that sometime.

Ngatuny
January 30th, 2004, 05:13 PM
:browlift:=D I watched the movie with the commentary maybe the first time I got the DVD since I had watched the movie like a million times already and it was so interesting to learn so many things that you don't notice but make it such a great movie. :D

unregistered user
January 30th, 2004, 05:15 PM
btw who does this audio commentary?
i think i have to search for it on my dvd!

Ngatuny
January 30th, 2004, 11:13 PM
:ayecapn: The Directors: Rob Minkoff and Roger Allers and the Producer: Don Hahn:D:cheese:

unregistered user
January 31st, 2004, 08:51 AM
ah, thx!

Fuzzy
February 3rd, 2004, 09:01 AM
hey they sound like they have way to much fun making films... I wana make films for disney... *maybe i will soon* ;)

Sharifu
February 3rd, 2004, 09:31 AM
Hey so do I LionKingDomain! I always wanted to make movies for a living, it seems like they have so much fun and it always interested me! But I love animated films and I have such a passion for them, I want to be a Disney animator!

But yes I did watch TLK audio commentary, I watch the commentaries on all my DVDs, they are very interesting!

Sadiki
February 3rd, 2004, 10:44 AM
Sharifu go and make your dream i hope you make that someday :cheese:
:hugs:

Sharifu
February 4th, 2004, 02:57 AM
Aww thank you SimbaTheMighty! I hope we all reach our goals and dreams! =D

unregistered user
February 4th, 2004, 03:28 AM
I finally watched it all the way through with the commentary on. Very informative stuff. Thanks for the heads up Naline. :=):

Sadiki
February 4th, 2004, 12:15 PM
Well i think my dream force me move out from Finland but that is not problem to me. Maby in somewhere USA, Canada or England (because there have to speak english that i can live there :/ )

nathalie
February 4th, 2004, 12:39 PM
No havent listen to it yet.

I only have seen the extra's, and I heard nothing there which I not knew yet.

Naline
February 4th, 2004, 01:03 PM
Yeah, the extras didn't tell a die hard TLK fan anything new, but i thought the commentary was quite good!!

NP people, hope u enjoyed it!!!

unregistered user
February 4th, 2004, 01:12 PM
Ahhh....Filmmaking. That's something I've been interested in for a while. If I ever were to get into that industry, I'd most likely be a screenwriter.

Kintaru
February 7th, 2004, 03:32 PM
There's an audio commentary on the DVD? Can't believe I missed that heheheh.:hmm:

Might have to go watch that right now, thx for the input Naline!:licks:

Naline
February 7th, 2004, 11:34 PM
NP, i found it really good, they talked a bit to much about colour and stuff like that, but none the less it was cooooool!

Huma
February 8th, 2004, 03:10 AM
I like the joke they play. like at first, one of them said they were here to report top ten list.

Another one, while Mufasa telling simba about circle of life, they've planed a joke in which Mufasa spoke to one of antilopes "Isn't it right Joe?" "Right you Mufasa." "Catch you later, Joe." " Not fight can help it." This one is really funney.
:lol:

Sadiki
February 8th, 2004, 03:12 PM
LOL that was funny :lol:

Naline
February 9th, 2004, 01:35 PM
HAHA!!! I remember that now!! Very funny, i quite liked the vultures aswell and their morbid black humour, it would've been cool if they had done those as characters.

unregistered user
February 10th, 2004, 01:42 AM
Yeah it would have been kinda cool, but I've had my fill of animated vultures.....(Jungle Book, Robin Hood...). I'd like to see a vulture as a quiet, menacing presence. Kinda like Cherbnabog in the original Fantasia.
Red glowing eyes and all. :wicked:

Fuzzy
February 12th, 2004, 05:22 AM
Originally posted by Naline
HAHA!!! I remember that now!! Very funny, i quite liked the vultures aswell and their morbid black humour, it would've been cool if they had done those as characters.

But.. Thats one thing I respect about TLK is they don't have many talking chars.

TLK:2 had chars singing and things.. just makes for a different mood. I dont think that that would work good in TLK.

kcnmttcnn
February 14th, 2004, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by LionKingDomain
But.. Thats one thing I respect about TLK is they don't have many talking chars.

TLK:2 had chars singing and things.. just makes for a different mood. I dont think that that would work good in TLK.

Yeah... In TLK2, it kinda surprised me when "One of Us" played~

Anyways, I liked the Audio Commentary on the DVD^^

Fuzzy
February 15th, 2004, 12:15 AM
But i will have to add that the singing char's in tlk 1 1/2 (3) do work well ;)

jannali
October 3rd, 2004, 06:28 PM
hmmm nice pics *plots* tadaa! *points to her sig* :lol:

edit: dammit...the pics wont work :grrr:

nafklt
October 3rd, 2004, 09:16 PM
http://www.thecinemalaser.com/image_2003/1003/lk-pe-dvd-image-03.jpg
Awesome!:knowdees: Thanks STL!:cheese:

TakaTiger
October 3rd, 2004, 09:50 PM
im too lazy right now, ill look at it in a bit

Mabatu
October 4th, 2004, 06:59 AM
I'm glad that reviewer seemed happy with the movie, even though he seems to think Beauty and the Beast was better :rolleyes:

I hate how some reviews of TLK say it's nothing special and rather ordinary etc. They are so wrong :grrr: ;)

unregistered user
October 4th, 2004, 07:05 AM
Good review me thinks

Cheers STL!

Sadiki
October 4th, 2004, 09:38 AM
THE LION KING was an animated motion picture triumph for Disney and is now a triumph of a DVD. Without question, THE LION KING looks and sounds incredible on disc. That, along with a nice supplemental package, makes this a must own DVD for the entire family. Absolutely recommended.

that is so true! :lol:

Kovu
October 4th, 2004, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the link, STL. :kovusmile
I think we've got a new smiley:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/KovuLKD/MuffySmile.jpg
Funny that look coming from Ol' Muffy. :lol:

Azerane
October 4th, 2004, 02:11 PM
excellent!!! yay go tlk!!! :D

King Simba
October 4th, 2004, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Kovu
Thanks for the link, STL. :kovusmile
I think we've got a new smiley:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/KovuLKD/MuffySmile.jpg
Funny that look coming from Ol' Muffy. :lol:
Haha! :lol::bleen:

SimbaTLK1
March 7th, 2005, 02:31 AM
Yay, Consumers rated TLK 4.5 stars on Netflix! Check it out Here (http://www.netflix.com/MovieDisplay?movieid=60029890&trkid=73&dmode=CUSTOMERREVIEW&lnkctr=mdpGlanceMemRev&pageNum=1&#list)

Wonder who the bum is that wrote this:
This is quite simply the worst animated film ever made. I am a life long fan of animated films, and even Disney films in general, but this is just drivel. The introduction was grand and made it seem like a really special film was about to be unveiled. Instead, the opening musical number ended, the animals started talking, and the film went downhill from there. The movie really drags on and seems much longer than it really was, the music was inane, and the story completely unoriginal. I enjoyed the Japanese version that this was based on much more. Oh, and why did the character of Scar have to act like a homosexual? I don't get it.

:grrr: :grrr: :grrr: :grrr:

Even though his/her initials are MB, (the same as mine) That is certainly not me.:grrr:
In comparison, some other big movies get ratings as follows:

The Passion Of The Christ: * * * *
Road to Perdition: * * * *
Pirates of the Carribean: * * * * .5
I, Robot: * * * *
Lord of the Rings (ALL): * * * * .5

It is really something that an animated movie like The Lion King can keep up in ratings with such large productions as the ones listed above.

P.S. I think TLK deserves * * * * *, but thats just me:evilgrin:

Darkslash
March 7th, 2005, 03:58 AM
That's reassuring. The 4.5 stars, I mean, not the bum review.

Azerane
March 7th, 2005, 04:25 AM
Ok, that review is really dodgy... because we all know that tlk is Disney's biggest animated feature ever!

It is good to see though, like you said SimbaTLK1 that tlk can keep up with other movies... :cheese: :D

Iestyn
March 7th, 2005, 05:17 PM
Hmmm, I wonder if that person watched the same movie as we did? Because if that's what he says about TLK then it's obvious that he's mentally ill and needs to be shot quite frankly :D On a brighter note, 4.5 stars is pretty awesome :D

King Simba
March 7th, 2005, 06:49 PM
I bet one of those idiots that wrote that review were one of the bums on one of those Simpsons forums. :grrr: :die:

Ah well, it's nice to hear that TLK got rated that high. :cheese:

unregistered user
March 7th, 2005, 07:28 PM
Grrrrrrrrrr... That guy did not watch the same movie... Or he's a nutcase. What's all this nonsense about it dragging? That guy's got issues... The ratings were good though :D Go TLK *waves flag*

unregistered user
March 7th, 2005, 08:28 PM
I've never met a person yet who actually didn't like TLK even a little bit. Personally I think he wrote it just to annoy people, to which he has obviously succeeded in doing.

Anyway... Hmm.. Passion got that many stars eh? I'm happy ^^

And congrats to TLK for keeping up there with such other awesome movies through all this time too :cheese:

Sombolia
March 8th, 2005, 01:37 AM
Yeah, he was probably a loser who needs attention :bleen:

But 4.5 is teh awesome! :D

nafklt
March 18th, 2005, 09:15 AM
:P I got mine at Costco for $40.00CDN...:hmm:

Kiara Serengeti
March 23rd, 2005, 04:54 AM
hmm..collector set...what?

nathalie
March 23rd, 2005, 09:43 AM
Ours (in Belgium) can be found for 39.99 ? or even more (that's about 51 $ ) So I might be able to say, that ours is the most expensive?

Originally posted by Kiara Serengeti
hmm..collector set...what?
The "thrilogy" box

Monai
March 23rd, 2005, 08:10 PM
I got the trilogy box for ?30, I think. Still half of what it would be if I bought all 3 separately.

Azerane
March 24th, 2005, 06:55 AM
The box set costs about AU$60 here.... which is really annoying, I just want to get it for the picture things inside because I have the first and second movies on dvd already....

Sharifu
March 24th, 2005, 07:53 AM
:lol: Wow, look how long ago I made that post. It must of been one of my firsts.

nathalie
March 24th, 2005, 09:09 AM
Ooh, so it's about the gift box? With the pictures in it and the book?

I payed a lot more for that one, 52 ? I believe (67 $ )
(import from US to Holland, and shipping from Holland to Belgium, that's why it was more expensive for me)

SimbaTLK1
June 27th, 2005, 02:23 AM
I know the US TLK DVD isn't really anything new, but I found this article (http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=161157) about the various audio mixes and picture quality on the dvd, and thought someone besides me might be interested in it. :evilgrin:

IchLiebeNALA
June 27th, 2005, 10:41 AM
well, i can only say 1 thing:

BRAVO DISNEY!

ChildOfThePride
June 27th, 2005, 05:56 PM
It says there are 2 versions of TLK...:confused:

All I get is the MR version.

Katse
June 27th, 2005, 06:00 PM
I have yet to figure out how to get the original version, but yes, I <3 my TLK DVD.

soulImbibe
June 28th, 2005, 01:23 AM
Thanks for the link. I've read several reviews about the DVD quality but none went as in-depth as that one. I'm particularly interested in the contrasts between the laserdisc version and the dvd version, since I have watched both and drawn my own conclusions. They were right about saying that TLK is a reference-quality DVD.

Simba '04
June 28th, 2005, 01:55 AM
that was a cool review :cheese: to get to the original version of TLK, go to the Set Up menu...then click on film/audio options and then click under the Original Theatrical section the first option and that is the enhanced 5.1 surround sound version :cheese: :bleen:

Mabatu
June 28th, 2005, 04:44 AM
An interesting read, thanks ;)

In Australia, we're lucky enough to get a DTS soundtrack, and it sounds fantastic on a good 5.1 setup. It's probably the best sounding DVD i have heard. :cheese:

There is a relatively detailed review of it here (http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Reviews/Reviews.asp?ReviewID=4337&SID=2&PID=225233) :)

SimbaTLK1
June 28th, 2005, 05:36 AM
Originally posted by Mabatu
An interesting read, thanks ;)

In Australia, we're lucky enough to get a DTS soundtrack, and it sounds fantastic on a good 5.1 setup. It's probably the best sounding DVD i have heard. :cheese:

There is a relatively detailed review of it here (http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Reviews/Reviews.asp?ReviewID=4337&SID=2&PID=225233) :)

Another nice review. Thanks Mabatu. I really we we had the DTS soundtrack here in the US, i wonder what disney's thinking was on that :confused: :confused:

Mabatu
June 28th, 2005, 12:08 PM
An interesting thing to note about our DVD is that to get the Disney Enhanced Home Theatre Mix, you need to have a DTS compatible decoder, as the DD track on our DVD is just the original theatrical mix, and doesn't sound as good. I've seen some surround systems that won't decode DTS, and only do Dolby, so in cases like that it would be better to have the DEHTM in DD :cheese:

lolopimp
June 28th, 2005, 01:10 PM
I don't get it, where's the review?
Is there a link that I missed?

EDIT: Oh I see, forgot the word article. I've read the whole review before, it's quiet informative.

SimbaTLK1
June 28th, 2005, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by lolopimp
I don't get it, where's the review?
Is there a link that I missed?

Click the word Article.

Simba '04
June 28th, 2005, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by SimbaTLK1
Another nice review. Thanks Mabatu. I really we we had the DTS soundtrack here in the US, i wonder what disney's thinking was on that :confused: :confused:

according to the first review it says that they cut the DTS for the USA because they didnt' want to sacrifice any picture quality ;)

my surround system has a DTS decoder so I wish we had the DTS version of TLK!

Kiara Serengeti
June 29th, 2005, 01:10 AM
There actually is no 'orginal version'. The original version just has no new song with the original morning report, but its been cleaned up and all, so you don't get to see it quite as it was in theaters.

soulImbibe
June 29th, 2005, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by Simba '04
I wish we had the DTS version of TLK!

I also thought it was kinda strange Disney didn't include a DTS track given that TLK2 and TLK1.5 did have DTS tracks in the US. However, I'm very satisfied with the quality of the Enhanced Home Theater Dolby Digital mix so I can't complain too much. If they had included DTS as well they would have had to apply greater compression to the video section; there's always a trade-off.

SimbaTLK1
June 29th, 2005, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by SoulImbibe
I also thought it was kinda strange Disney didn't include a DTS track given that TLK2 and TLK1.5 did have DTS tracks in the US. However, I'm very satisfied with the quality of the Enhanced Home Theater Dolby Digital mix so I can't complain too much. If they had included DTS as well they would have had to apply greater compression to the video section; there's always a trade-off.

I persoanlly think disney could have scrapped some of the trailers to make room for a dts track.

soulImbibe
June 29th, 2005, 02:35 AM
And give up prime marketing space on one of their most popular Platinum edition releases? Nah... besides they want us to have motivation to buy the HD version when it comes out. I think Disney's regular release cycle is 7 years so we should be due for a revisit of TLK in 2010.

Mabatu
June 29th, 2005, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by SoulImbibe
If they had included DTS as well they would have had to apply greater compression to the video section; there's always a trade-off.

Yep, no doubt that is true. Clearly the R4 DVD having DTS must have impacted the video quality somehow, but i was just wondering, maybe that would somehow be balanced by the fact that we have PAL here, which has a slightly higher resolution than NTSC? :thinks:

SimbaTLK1
June 30th, 2005, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Mabatu
Yep, no doubt that is true. Clearly the R4 DVD having DTS must have impacted the video quality somehow, but i was just wondering, maybe that would somehow be balanced by the fact that we have PAL here, which has a slightly higher resolution than NTSC? :thinks:

The tradeoff would be more in terms of MPEG compression artifacts than resolution.

Mabatu
July 1st, 2005, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by SimbaTLK1
The tradeoff would be more in terms of MPEG compression artifacts than resolution.

Ah, that is a good point. Even so, the quality on our DVD is really good :)

csyria
July 3rd, 2005, 06:19 AM
Originally posted by Kiara Serengeti
There actually is no 'orginal version'. The original version just has no new song with the original morning report, but its been cleaned up and all, so you don't get to see it quite as it was in theaters.

I for one would really like a real theatrical version. It would be nice to see the (rumored) various things that were (supposedly) removed and the confirmed changes could be put back for collectors and fans.

I need to upgrade my equipment. I can't even do DD5.1 anymore since the DVD player in my HTiaB broke and I need a HDTV (or a better TV in general). At least I did get to hear the enhanced version before I was sent back to ProLogic land. :(

soulImbibe
July 3rd, 2005, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by csyria
I for one would really like a real theatrical version...

You can still see the original version, just not on DVD. Laserdisc or VHS; I pick Laserdisc.

nafklt
July 4th, 2005, 05:46 AM
Awesome! :cool: