PDA

View Full Version : Lion King Movie Collection Question

Mimz
April 1st, 2014, 05:50 AM
Hi Everybody,

I haven't posted here before and just created an account. I'm aware my introduction should be elsewhere, but I thought I'd chuck it in here at the top of this thread :D I'm Mimz (as I'm sure you're aware from reading my username). Ever since I was a child I've really loved the Lion King. I was quite obsessed with the movies as a child, and concerned my parents a great deal when I kept killing off the father figure in games I'd play with my toys.

I've recently been looking at the available Lion King DVDs, laserdisc and blurays that are available to purchase for the first movie. Ideally, I'd like to get my hands on as much of the Lion King content as possible (especially extras, making of, behind the scenes etc.). After having looked around a bit I've aware the laserdisc deluxe edition "contained the film, six concept art lithographs and The Making of The Lion King, and added storyboards, character design artwork, concept art, rough animation, and a directors' commentary that the VHS edition did not have, on a total of four double sided discs." The next release (DVD), The Lion King Disney Special Platinum Edition Collector's Gift Set, also contained extras. The most recent bluray diamond addition had a 8-disc version that contained the first, second and third movie but I'm unsure what extras it contained.

My question is: Does the most recent 8-disc bluray diamond boxset edition contain all the extras of the previous releases?
if yes, yay
if this isn't the case, what contains what in regards to extras?

I apologise if I've been unclear, but I would really love someone to guide me in the right direction in regards to this question.

Thank you in advance for the replies!
Mimz :)

Simbaspirit
April 1st, 2014, 02:02 PM
I don't believe the recent blu-ray release had all the same extras as the platinum dvd edition, however I don't have them right with me so I cannot be sure. I do remember being slightly disappointed with the amount of extras in the blu-ray as there were very few that had not already been seen. However, if you have an iPad you may be interested in the Second Screen feature that comes with the blu-ray - as you're watching the movie, your iPad syncs up and shows you development pictures from the scene that is playing.

By the way - welcome to lea! :D

nathalie
April 1st, 2014, 06:11 PM
The 2003 DVD edition didn't even have the extra's the 1995 laserdisc + VHS deluxe bos set had -_-
(in other words: the 2003 DVD edition was lame, lol)

ThiagoPE
April 1st, 2014, 07:14 PM
The 1995 laserdisc has unique extras, the best ones in my opinion, because explain more the production of the movie.

The 2003 had much but "other" extras than the 1995, it putted the movie production behind and priorized games, fun facts, music, etc...

The 2011 bluray have only few new extras, only 1h 20min of never seen material for TLK, however, you can see the majority of the 2003 dvd extras in the Disney virtual vault section, which is a bd-live feature, meaning you need to have your player conected to internet to see it (and them can drop down this feature any moment)

The 1995 laserdisc is the only "optical" release that carry a widescreen version of the 1994 version of tlk. If you want good extras and the original movie, thatīs is your version, but how today is almost impossible see laserdiscs...

The 2003 dvd is good even tough we loved the 1995 extras that culd have been ported, if you find it by a resonable price, i think it worth having the collectors edition, but this is almost impossible today.

The 2011 8 disc set is not a total lame, but its problems are quite anoying, for example keeping the discs in that case is an invite for you damage it. it dosenot have any printed material (even the bluray guide! which is the only printed material for the movie in the regular edition)

s-tlk
April 1st, 2014, 10:32 PM
Plus the Laserdisc version have the original 5.1 cinema audio track, which I really love. I once made a summary of the features of the Laserdisc and put some supplemental material there:
http://www.s-tlk.org/index.php?id=2&subid=5&lang=en&site=tlk-media-ld-deluxe

In addition, there is also a comparison table (but no guarantee on completeness, didn't had time to finish/check it yet... :/ ), but maybe it helps you to make a decision:
http://www.s-tlk.org/index.php?id=2&lang=en&site=tlk-extras