PDA

View Full Version : The Lion King... in College?

Zephyr Nexus
October 15th, 2006, 09:34 PM
Over the past week or so, The Lion King has kept inserting itself back into my life. It's a good thing, definitely...

:cheese:

But I'm in college now, a freshman at Yale... Isn't everyone too old for this stuff?

:confused:

Well, no, of course not. And it really is comforting that people agree. It was a couple of nights ago that my suitemate and his friend were in the room watching TLK when I got back...

"Wow," I said, "The Lion King is such a good movie..."

"Dude," he said, "I know..."

Later, at a party, I talked to all my friends about the TLK viewing, and everyone agreed: we aren't too old for it. And then, with a little alcoholic inducement, someone started to sing "Can You Feel the Love Tonight," and I chimed in.

Oh, college...

And fittingly, the next day when I went into Bruegger's Bagels, they were playing the identical song.

TLK is following me...

Darkslash
October 15th, 2006, 10:00 PM
Yeah, I put the TLK dvds in prominent display in my common room here at Rice... when somebody asks, "who is the lion king fan," I proudly say, "I am, it's the greatest Disney animated film of all time." And they agree.

Yeah, you're right.

zazulover01
October 16th, 2006, 02:16 PM
I wish someone would tell my dad that.

Dyani
October 16th, 2006, 02:30 PM
:lol: My course is Wildlife Conservation, and basically EVERYONE loves Disney and all my close friends love Lion King. I was only singing CYFTLT the other night having been lubricated with strongbow XD

TX-101
October 16th, 2006, 02:52 PM
It's sure good to know that you aren't the only one huh?

I don't care what others say. I love that movie.

Kapasa
October 16th, 2006, 06:55 PM
I remeber at my old school when we had a vaccination I was like oww it hurts. But then

Teacher " Right you bunch of moaners heres a video to keep you all quiet."

*Tv flickers on*

THE LION KING

Me thinks: well this day isnt all that bad

Kimbai
October 16th, 2006, 08:59 PM
I wish someone would tell my dad that.

Yeah. People seem to think once you are past 13 you can't look at any cartoons. Well I say, BUNK THEM! :p

I shall watch TLK anyways. ^^ I think I have been watching too much of it lately..

Daniel
October 16th, 2006, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Kimbai
Yeah. People seem to think once you are past 13 you can't look at any cartoons. Well I say, BUNK THEM! :p

EXACTLY!

i still laugh hysterically at Pingu :D

i have done since i was 4 :p

zazulover01
October 16th, 2006, 10:35 PM
Yeah, but my mom says it too and she like cartoons.

Stormfury
October 17th, 2006, 03:51 AM
Too old for TLK? :woeisme: Never! :D

Yeah.. and I look good in a bikini... (http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/397/soniquenbikinicf2.png)

;)

lion_roog
October 17th, 2006, 03:59 AM
Originally posted by S0nique

Yeah.. and I look good in a bikini... (http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/397/soniquenbikinicf2.png)

;)

Ya Bastard!...:D

Stoopid Curiosity making me look...:browlift:

And most of my friends know I like the Lion King...and no one really cares. They know I like lions and all that. But sometimes they will give me a hard time but that's normal among us...:D

Stormfury
October 17th, 2006, 05:55 AM
Originally posted by lion_roog
Ya Bastard!...:D

Stoopid Curiosity making me look...:browlift:

Don't lie, you know you (always) wanted to see me in a bikini, baby!

Now... go wash yourself and watch TLK ..

HasiraKali
October 17th, 2006, 06:06 AM
In my ecology class, we were talking about food webs and stuff and the professor said something about the circle of life and I was wearing a TLK shirt and he looked at me and said something along the lines of "Ask Amanda about the circle of life." It was kind of funny. He was like "Did you wear that shirt on purpose?" :lol: My teachers even knew of my obsession.

zazulover01
October 18th, 2006, 01:06 AM
You have a Lion King T-shirt? Where did you get it?

HasiraKali
October 18th, 2006, 01:47 AM
I have lots of TLK shirts. I've just collected them over the years. I think the one I was wearing that day was from the IMAX theater.

Kapasa
October 20th, 2006, 08:13 PM
In chemistry I learned something very unexpected.

There was a 5 min. break in the double lesson and everyone left the room bar 4-6 people. I was one of them left, the teacher then asked what are you all doing in your hols.?(holidays)
I relpied nothing just working on the farm'n stuff.

But one pupil replyed Kenya. I was thinking that must be awesome to go there. Suddenly the teacher went all obessed on this pupil giving him phrases in Swahilii, tips on what to expect..etc. (like to be prepared to expect extreme poverty and quite a bit of crime)

I was thinking how the hell does this crazy guy know how to speak Swahilii? He then told the class that he had once lived there (Kenya), as well as South Africa for a time. But then he said something that made me smile: "Do any of you horrible lot know the word for lion, in Swahilii?"

I was bursting to say Simba, but if I got it wrong then the class would laugh at me for bieng a TLK fan (its a secret). And I was even more disrought when he replyied after the long silence "Simba!"

It turned out that he's fluent in Swahilii and Flemmish. And for the rest of that lesson and the next he was giving him tips whilst we were going questions or in breaks, he found it annoying towards the end.

Kimbai
October 21st, 2006, 09:45 PM
Yeah. I belive my madre y padre think I am getting old for TLK too. But I don't care. As long as you are not obsessed, then you are okay. XD

Seriously, watch whatever the heck you want. Cartoons are aimed at kids, but there is no law saying nobody else is allowed to watch them.

HasiraKali
October 22nd, 2006, 10:49 PM
Being obsessed is bad? I have probems then. :lol:

DarkPaw
October 22nd, 2006, 11:34 PM
Yeah, if being obsessed is bad, then my parents have a trouble-child on their hands! :O

Kimbai
October 22nd, 2006, 11:35 PM
XDD Nah being obsessed is good..:cheese: ^^

It just freaks people out:secret:

HasiraKali
October 23rd, 2006, 02:07 AM
We were talking about taxes at dinner tonight and how they've taken most of what I've earned this year and I was trying to figure out how much I'd get back after April. Aaaanyway, I was confused as to why my account is smaller than it should be and my mum said "You have to remember how much you spent on those Lion King tickets," and I said "But that was only $1000, where's the rest of it? Oh wait... that sounds REALLY sad. 'I spent $1000 on Lion King tickets'... I need help." :lol: That money wasn't part of what I was talking about, it just hit me how obsessed it sounded. :lol:

Kalahari
October 23rd, 2006, 09:06 AM

Someone didn't tell my either parents that. My mom actually encorages me to watch cartoons and Disney movies.

King Simba
October 23rd, 2006, 06:52 PM
Well nothing TLK'ish has really been mentioned in college so far, although in school, quite a few people used to make jokes up about it... and if I remember rightly, it has been mentioned a few times in discussion.

That used to be similar to what my sister used to think. She used to say that I was "too old" for watching TLK and that it was only aimed at younger children... it really used to annoy me to be quite honest.

Anyways, I think we've proven her wrong. My mum likes TLK, and she's now 51, so it just proves people of all ages can watch it. ;)

Kimbai
October 23rd, 2006, 08:42 PM
Yes. It accually is aimed at all ages, so excuse me for saying it was mostly aimed and younger people earlier. There are little hidden jokes for adults and teens in movies like Lion King that you may not notice when you were younger. Example:

When Timon tries to save Pumbaa from Nala, he is like "Geez, why do I always have to save your a-AAAAAA!"

:haha: he was gonna say "***" I just noticed that when watching it no too long ago. I never noticed it when I was younger. And that is only the many hidden adult jokes in the cartoon. ^^ It is for all ages, and not just TLK, but every cartoon.

HasiraKali
October 23rd, 2006, 08:55 PM
The Little Mermaid is FULL of little jokes and things aimed at adults. Like when Ariel gets turned into a human, a child wouldn't realize that she's naked but as an adult, you realize it And a bonus, if you've been to the beach, you know it's no fun to get sand in some places and then it's funny. :lol:

Kimbai
October 23rd, 2006, 09:13 PM
Agreed XD

zazulover01
October 23rd, 2006, 10:04 PM
What would you guys say is the limit of how much The Lion King should effect what you do for school?

HasiraKali
October 23rd, 2006, 10:16 PM
I would think that as long as it's on topic and appropriate for what you're doing, go for it. I wrote a comparison of TLK and Hamlet for my junior level college english course. Yes, I got an A. :lol: I think I even used it for an ecology essay once. It was on a test, I don't really remember. And in middle school, we had to create an island nation for social studies using geography terms...mine was TLK based. We had to write up a constitution and a sample set of laws. I did mine in Swahili with TLK influence from my Mufasa book of advice. I'm of the opinion that if it helps you learn material, who cares if it's a "kids' show".

Kimbai
October 28th, 2006, 06:17 PM
As a design, I put Simba pic on the project this week. Classmates loved it. ^^ The first thing they said was "Hey its Simba! I love Simba." Heck they didn't mind at all. They went on saying how Lion King is the best movie.

See? Only dorks think TLK is babyish. XD

Xinithian
October 29th, 2006, 06:34 AM
You got into Yale? Wow, congrats! My dad went there back in '72 or something, it's definetly a hard school to get into, especially now. Did you have great grades?

And no, unfortunately the title of "best disney movie ever" doesn't apply to TLK with my friends/classmates. They always either say Aladdin or Little Mermaid. It's unfortunate, really... oh well.