PDA

View Full Version : Happy Birthday CGW!

Azerane
August 6th, 2013, 12:32 PM
Happy birthday! I hope you have a wonderful day :D

cleargreenwater
August 7th, 2013, 12:27 AM
Woohoo! Party of one! :irule:

Thanks! Today I'm actually not up for much but a hot bath and a pain reliever, but I got in more than enough fun time yesterday--I celebrated turning another year older by doing a 35 foot cargo net climb/3 story high cable walk obstacle course/zip line challenge!

Because I used to climb stuff like a freakin monkey when I was a kid, (held the record in my elementary school for most pull-ups ever, going back 20-plus years ago,) saw the High Challenge offered in the park system's Summer Programs Directory, and got a wild hair up my *cough*...got it in my mind to take it to the next/adult level and see if I still had it in me buried away under two decades of physical disuse and complete athletic neglect.

And I did it! The more challenging/difficult left-side course, too, only me & one other person out of a group of 15-16 people did that one! :D

Not gonna lie though, it was s--- scary being up there xD First, once you climb the cargo net tube and you get up there, it is a lot higher in reality than it looks from the ground :gasp: It's 35 feet while you're climbing it; once you get up there, suddenly the truth of three stories opens before you. And then the real horror reveals itself: there's this ONE steel cable, about the width of a hi-lite marker, strung 50 feet from one telephone pole to the next...and you need to step out onto it, bowing & wobbling underfoot with slack and all, with nothing else to hold on to but a series of ropes dangling from overhead 8 to 10 feet apart from each other. But wait, there's more! Once you reach that second telephone pole with a crossbar, you can't just cling to it for dear life! No! You need to shimy around and take BOTH hands off of it to connect yourself to the next safety harness rigging, for the second leg of the cable challenge! This time, you hold on to and follow a rope that meets the cable you're standing on in the middle and grab the second rope. Now, picking up a rope by your feet might not sound like much, but picking up a rope by your feet when that rope & the cable your feet is on is all you got in yawning space? :eek: By the time I got to the zipline platform to ride down, I was just happy to stand on something solid! The ride down was awesome though.

But yeah. I am HURTING today doing something like that cold and on a Monday, Tylenol is my best friend. My birthday has been spent suffused by the aroma of Ben Gay, lol.

Leorgathar
August 7th, 2013, 02:08 AM
Happy Birthday, CGW! :D

Whoa! that sounds really scary and exciting all the same :lol: I'm getting curious about it, I have to see it to know if I would do it or not. But I like a good challenge, so perhaps I'd say yes xD

Safila
August 7th, 2013, 02:20 AM
well seeing you relaxing in a bath, here's some cake to go with it for you.
Happy Birthday :lalala:

http://cakesdecor.com/assets/pictures/cakes/120040.jpg

KanuTGL
August 7th, 2013, 10:27 AM
Wow, sounds like a real adventure! I reckon you deserved the rest after that :lol:

And Happy Birthday! :hugs:

King Simba
August 7th, 2013, 10:45 AM
Oh wow, sounds like a real adventure. I would like to do a challenge like that sometime, if I could get some guts to do it, that is. :lol: And like Leor, I like a good challenge, so maybe I'd say yes in the end xD

Hope you had a great Birthday! :hugs:

Kasei
August 7th, 2013, 03:13 PM
Happy Birthday (belatedly)! That sounds so fun, I'm glad you got to have a neat experience on your birthday, even if it was a little scary at times. ;)

Dare
August 7th, 2013, 03:46 PM
Happy belated birthday! ^__^

Azerane
August 8th, 2013, 04:03 AM
That experience sounds like it was a whole lot of fun. I can imagine it would have been quite nerve-wracking, but awesome all the same. Seems you've earned your rest :)