PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek XI

Stormfury
May 7th, 2006, 09:00 AM
Finally, no longer a rumor.

:lol:

_ [ http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/news/article/15891.html .] _

The Official Announcement and Beyond
On April 20, 2006 it was announced by the Associated Press that a new Star Trek movie will be produced and directed by J. J. Abrams. Paramount also confirmed that the movie will be written and produced by Abrams teammates Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman. They are aiming for a 2008 release date. The movie was said feature a young Kirk and Spock in Starfleet Academy and their first mission. [14]

However, Abrams reported a few days later that the initial report was premature: he would like to be producer and he was offered to also direct, but he has not confirmed that he would direct as well. Abrams said that he would like to make a movie featuring Original Series cast members like Leonard Nimoy, and the report that the movie would be a "Starfleet Academy" treatment was premature. [15]

There has been both support and opposition among the fan base for the movie being a prequel. However, the most widely expressed sentiment has been gratitude for the fact that Star Trek is again in production. In an interview with The Irish Times, Abrams was asked whether he had seen the online reaction to the official announcement. According to interviewer Donald Clarke, he replied, "'I have been on the road since the news came out...' suddenly looking somewhat fearful. "Is the reaction bad?" He was relieved--and happy--to hear that it was not. "Being involved with a series that has a passionate and vocal following makes me incredibly sympathetic. They have put up with so many incarnations along the way. These fans, they are a smart bunch. They are an intelligent group. We are very respectful and we have no intention of subverting the material." [16] These comments have been viewed not only as a great reassurance to fans fearful of being ignored by the new leader of Star Trek, but also as debunking widespread rumors of a Battlestar Galactica-style reboot.

Meanwhile, Trek fans were pleased to find Mr. Abrams listed among TIME Magazine's TIME 100 in the April 30, 2006 edition, earning the distinction by being one of "100 men and women whose power, talent or moral example is transforming our world." [17] The Abrams article, written by Mission: Impossible III star Tom Cruise, was entitled "The Double-Threat Storyteller" and contained such praises as "It's hard to convey with brevity the extraordinary experience of knowing and working with J.J. Abrams," and, "He's a creative juggernaut and someone who recognizes the joy of creating." [18]

Rumors
On May 2, 2006, Cinescape ran a story suggesting that Ben Affleck may be in discussions with J. J. Abrams about playing a lead role in Star Trek XI, possibly playing a young Captain James T. Kirk. The editorial was marked strictly as speculation based on an unconfirmed rumor. [19]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v75/courage21837/1701e_warp.gif

Sombolia
May 7th, 2006, 09:06 AM
Eurgh, Star Trek. I really didn't care either way about it until it TOOK OVER G4 OMG.

Stormfury
May 7th, 2006, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Sombolia
Eurgh, Star Trek. I really didn't care either way about it until it TOOK OVER G4 OMG.

I think the commercials are rather amusing. :lol:

[ http://youtube.com/watch?v=BBFO7EhB9lM .]

Daniel
May 7th, 2006, 09:41 AM
the creator of Lost and Alias

i reckon he'll do a good job, but i'm not really a fan of the series.

Vidan
May 11th, 2006, 03:49 AM
I was wondering where they were going to go after the last one. The TNG crew have been finally retired?

I always thought a Starfleet Academy movie or series would be a great idea. Hopefully that rumor pans out someday ... :cheese:

Stormfury
May 11th, 2006, 04:28 AM
I'm glad Paramount kicked Berman's script idea. Because I wouldn't even pay a lead nickel to see that piece of travesty he wrote. Abrams though, seems more or less like a winner and will get Star Trek back to its rightful place. Even though some say John Logan bombed the Star Trek name with Nemesis; I think he was a pioneer. TNG's cast will more than likely come back at least one last time, if not; their story line will have a decent burial, but an unsatisfactorial one at that. I would like to see Voyager get the ball passed down to them, and not be occluded by someone else. Both TNG and Voyager's story line is in nonnative bits and pieces now, because of this, it'll be hard to introduce themselves into Star Trek XI.

Prince Simba
May 11th, 2006, 05:24 AM
There's no way they can do this whole "Academy Days" thing. There is no possible way that anybody could pull it off. William Shatner is Captain Kirk. The world will not accept another Kirk. Besides, Kirk and Spock are kind of used up.

If anybody looked at Enterprise... it failed because it was a prequel to the other episodes and really couldn't keep to the specifications of Star Trek. This will do the same thing. The only way that anything can go is forward.

Edit: And then I read the part where it says that this is 'premature'

XD :lol:

Vidan
May 11th, 2006, 11:55 AM
If they did Starfleet Academy, I'd hope it'd be an entirely new cast of characters -- that's what I was thinking when I read that.

nathalie
May 11th, 2006, 12:03 PM
I have never even seen a Star Trek movie or show :eek:

But cool for the fans though, I guess.

Star Wars ... Yeah ... :bleen: hehe *lol*

Dyani
May 11th, 2006, 07:58 PM
I just wanna sing.. "Star Trekking across the universe.."

:lol: is that not the weirdest and most random song ever???

Helo
May 11th, 2006, 09:24 PM
I pretty much gave up with Star Trek after Deep Space Nine. Voyager became the Janeway, Seven and The Doctor Show, Enterprise was just plain dire and the last movie wasn't all that either. Now that Berman and Bragga are out of the picture there's a chance that it might actually be good again, and with JJ Abrams on board, that can only be a good thing.

I'm not entirely sure I like the idea of doing a movie about Kirk and Spock back in the day at the Academy. An Academy movie would be alright, just not with any existing characters, 'cause not only will it screw with the continuity of the series (just look at the reaction to Enterprise) and everyone will want Shatner to play, but he's like 70 now and it'll be a bit hard to pull of him playing a younger version of the character he played nearly 40 years ago.

I guess we'll have to see how things go.

Stahi
May 11th, 2006, 09:25 PM
Excelsior. Hikaru Sulu. OMG GAY CAPTAIN. That would rock. :D

Dyani
May 11th, 2006, 09:30 PM
I like Enterprise cos it has Scottie from QUantum Leap in it :lol: now tell me I aint an addict!!!

Stormfury
May 12th, 2006, 12:57 AM
@Helo: :lol:, well I guess someone else could be Kirk, but that would be just as bad as someone were to be another Superman, again (George Reeves / Christopher Reeve <3, etc...).

How about Captain Riker and Commander Troy, U.S.S. Titan; given a good writer I think it could work out... no? ....

[ @ ] Dyani: Yeah... Sam isn't as cool as Al is though... :p :D

Prince Simba
May 12th, 2006, 04:13 AM
Yeah, Captain Riker sounds interesting. But the rest of the crew would be all new and boring because don't know any of them. Then again. Good writers can do anything.

Stormfury
July 23rd, 2006, 09:19 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v75/courage21837/ST2008PS.jpg

Prince Simba
July 24th, 2006, 03:01 AM
2008? Maybe it'll come out some time around graduation!

Simba_2004
July 26th, 2006, 08:39 AM
MATT DAMON IS GOING TO BE CAPTAIN KIRK, :lol::lol::lol:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :idiot:

Stormfury
January 15th, 2007, 10:36 AM
Not enough spiel-age from Abrams; but ...

[ http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20007719,00.html .]