PDA

View Full Version : Your religion... and why?

Monai
April 30th, 2006, 07:54 PM
Yes, pretty basic thread, and I'm aware similar threads have been made in the past, but none since TSP opened.

Anyway, I was baptised a Roman Catholic, but I'd say my religion (if you can call it a religion) is Agnosticism, since I have no proof to convince me there is a God, but I'm not fully able to denounce it completely, although I am fairly certain that Jesus was not the Son of God.

If anyone has a different opinion, feel free to voice it and disagree with me, but please don't jump at me because of this post. XP

Sombolia
April 30th, 2006, 08:10 PM
I'm an Andyanitist!

*cough* On a more serious note.. I have no clue. The only churches I've ever attended have been Christian, but I've come to dislike that religion.. I do believe in God, to a certain extent, but I wouldn't say I belong to any religion at the moment.

Ashara
April 30th, 2006, 08:28 PM
Just Christian. Nothing specific....If I had to choose one, I guess Baptist.

Nephilim
April 30th, 2006, 09:02 PM
I have no religion, and I do not want or need one. I am against orgainised religion for the most part, but will not say I am anti-religious; you can worship any deity you like, but you should never let that effect your judgement of other people and your readiness to help them. People should also think for themselves too; do not follow something blindly.

Neola
April 30th, 2006, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Nephilim
I have no religion, and I do not want or need one. I am against orgainised religion for the most part, but will not say I am anti-religious; you can worship any deity you like, but you should never let that effect your judgement of other people and your readiness to help them. People should also think for themselves too; do not follow something blindly.

That is exactly the way I think...only I actually DO believe in God.

btw, Neph...what the hell are you still doing here?! you should be sleeping, young madame!

Dyani
April 30th, 2006, 10:11 PM
I have no religion ... but will not say I am anti-religious; you can worship any deity you like, but you should never let that effect your judgement of other people and your readiness to help them. People should also think for themselves too; do not follow something blindly.

I definatly agree with that. I am a stubborn athetist at times and yet a passionate follower of Wicca in some respects. Everyone needs to fall back on something... :hmm:

Faith is born out of the thought that this is the one life you have.. there is nothing after this. My guess is that there is religions in order to either come to terms with the fact this is there only chance.. or that there is another chance/another world.

I'm definatly not saying all religions are phony, because I deeply admire religious people for their faith and I am actaully jealous of how mch they trust something they don't always see.

Lion Roar
May 1st, 2006, 06:20 PM
I'm like Monai, baptised as Roman Catholic but actually agnostic. Although I used to think a lot about it, I couldn't find any convincing reason to believe that God exists, nor any evidence to demonstrate it doesn't exist either. I know it's impossible to know if God exists or not, so I don't wonder about it anymore.

Daniel
May 1st, 2006, 07:24 PM
i'm not religious myself, though my family are devout christians, but religion doesnt really appeal to me, but my family know that and they respect my decision, which i guess is more important.

A-non-a-mus
May 1st, 2006, 07:47 PM
I'm a non-denominational christian, and very much proud of that fact :) ... The reason... well lets see... hmm.. well... umm...

Because of what has been done in history, (read bible, it explains what I mean)
only way into heaven is through christ ... (and, yes, I know other religions have their own heaven/hell... you choose to belive whatever you wish :) )
it explains a lot to how things work out in this world... (ok, wierd wording but you get what I mean right?)

though... it's not a religion... Christianity's a faith

Nephilim
May 1st, 2006, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by A-non-a-mus
though... it's not a religion... Christianity's a faith

How'd you work that one out?

Dare
May 1st, 2006, 08:54 PM
I was raised Roman Catholic for the most part, but years of having that religion shoved down my throat against my will resulted in my eventual complete rejection of not only Roman Catholicism but all institutionalized religion.

So now I am closest to what some would call "Native American Shamanism". My mother's side of the family has practiced this for ages, so that's how I got into it, however I very rarely practice...Yes, I believe in spirit guides and power animals/totems. No, I do not smoke pot to communicate with them. No, I do not bang on drums and dance around in my backyard. I consider myself very spiritual, but I am not religious by any means.

Pathfinder
May 1st, 2006, 10:09 PM
I was born Jewish, and raised Jewish (though very, extremely, ridiculously reform Jewish). However, I'm not so set on my beliefs at the moment, so I guess I would be an Agnostic Jew? :confused:

Also, I personally (I don't mean to irk anyone here about it) think that Jesus was just an oridinary guy who lived long ago. I don't think he walked on water or performed miracles. He was just a poweful speaker who gained many followers with his words. The Roman government or whatever wasn't happy with him, so they nailed him to the cross. He wasn't the first person to be on the cross, and he wasn't the last. People just made a religon out of him and his words (in my opinion).

TakaTiger
May 2nd, 2006, 02:13 AM
Atheist here

Simba_2004
May 2nd, 2006, 02:30 AM
...though... it's not a religion... Christianity's a faith

exactly ;)

unlike you though I have been raised Baptist and plan on staying that way, I feel it is where the Lord wants me.

I am a Fundamental Independent Baptist Christian :cheese:

Why am I a Baptist? Again I say because I feel that is where the Lord wants me. Also out of curiousity I re-evaulated where I was in life and whether I wanted to stay Baptist or not and so after doing a lot of research I am very content where I am and no other denomination has the same beliefs that I have with the Baptist. Great thing about my Church though is that my Church is not very judgmental like most other Churches that I have visited, it is very warming and very welcoming to everyone and does not shove "religion" down your throat. That is the reason why most people reject Christ, because they feel that they are being forced to do something that they are not ready for. Man can't save a person, only Christ can. Sadly that is the truth that makes a lot of people upset because they want the credit, they want to boast. But obviously scripture goes against that, but I'm not going to post any verses on Lea, if you want them, pm me, I'm done with shoving verses down people's throats. I have seen the aftermath and was quite devestated, a life changing expierence, adding more tools to my toolbox ;). I now do visitations with my Church and I have learned several new ways of approaching the unsaved and it is awesome! Not one time have I had to open a Bible with them because obviously they weren't ready but I was still able to perk their interest with sharing my testimony. I am a planter right now, not a harvester. As a Christian I should first meet the needs of what the unsaved need and then share the plan of salvation, this is crucial because if you start sprouting off verses they will quickly slam the door in your face. But if you help them with their needs it will spark an interest in them and they will be curious as to why you would want to help them of all people, then when they start asking questions can you share the Gospel with them :cheese:.

I love being a Christian! :cheese:

Xinithian
May 2nd, 2006, 03:29 AM
I'm definetly agnostic. I used to be athiest, but the whole big-bang thing seems too unlikely. I guess there could be a God, but I'm sure he could care less about whether we worship him or not (actually, I think it would be selfish for a god to create people with the purpose of worshipping him). Also, I don't believe that a god would do much intervention, if any, because that would have a butterfly effect that would make things unbalanced. I would also hate to worship or serve or believe in a god without absolutely knowing that he's real.

Dyani
May 2nd, 2006, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Wicked
So now I am closest to what some would call "Native American Shamanism". My mother's side of the family has practiced this for ages, so that's how I got into it, however I very rarely practice...Yes, I believe in spirit guides and power animals/totems. No, I do not smoke pot to communicate with them. No, I do not bang on drums and dance around in my backyard. I consider myself very spiritual, but I am not religious by any means.
That is cool. I have tried bits of Shamanism but I am rubbish at it. Fantastic faith!

Originally posted by Pathfinder
Also, I personally (I don't mean to irk anyone here about it) think that Jesus was just an oridinary guy who lived long ago. I don't think he walked on water or performed miracles. He was just a poweful speaker who gained many followers with his words. The Roman government or whatever wasn't happy with him, so they nailed him to the cross. He wasn't the first person to be on the cross, and he wasn't the last. People just made a religon out of him and his words (in my opinion).
Well, historical records tell him to be a 'normal' human being.. no walking on water miracles or suchlike, and the Bible was written about 100 years after Jesus' death.. I agree with you Pathfinder. Jesus did indeed exist, but he was simply a powerful speaker and different in his teachings than others at that time.
But look at what wonderful organisations have come out of religions! Religion, although could very well be based on falseness, has done fantastic charity work and aid to other countries as well as in our own, not fogetting the happiness it gives people.

Shadow
May 2nd, 2006, 01:53 PM
i dont have a relagion so i think that the one who wrote the bible was just some smart *** guys that hade nothing to do and then the next generation toke over...basing it on whats happening around them...but overdoing it...am sure there was some kind of "normal guy" like jesus...but then they would have overdune it while writhing abut him and everything else...thats what i think atleast...

A-non-a-mus
May 2nd, 2006, 08:21 PM
How'd you work that one out?

because it is... it isn't based on works, to get to heaven, only faith ...
2 corinthians 5:7 "We live by faith, not by sight."
(as though we cannot see him, we have faith that he's there)
Also, there's a whole book on this that I have explain how this is classified as a faith not a religion..

Originally posted by Simba_2004
exactly ;)

unlike you though I have been raised Baptist and plan on staying that way, I feel it is where the Lord wants me.

I am a Fundamental Independent Baptist Christian :cheese:

yes, but there's no real difference there... I mean, we both belive the same... truth be said I have yet to find any real difference between baptist and non-denominational...
when the church broke apart and created the denominations... some groups wanted to not be called under any certain one... thus 'non-denominational'... however, baptist and non-denominational are practically the same beyond that...

1 Corinthians 1:10 "I appeal to you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree with one another so that there may be no divisions among you and that you may be perfectly united in mind and thought."

Darkslash
May 2nd, 2006, 10:00 PM
Well let's see here...

Dad was Catholic, married my mom, who was Lutheran... so I was raised Lutheran.

Dad got involved with "church expansion" project, they didn't like his proposals, really, actually they didn't want to do what they truly needed to do. Mom, dad, sister left that church and went looking for a new one. I kept going to it, for a little while.

Then it moved to a new location, with more land (expansion), and I've not gone since. My dad and I don't go to church any more, only on Christmas, and not even this Easter...

But I would still consider myself a Christian, very much so, but here's a basic summary of what I go by:

I don't like organized religion, hymns, sermons, repeats-after-me, AND I don't like "modern Christianity" -- Christian bands, "cool" Bibles, youth groups, and the like.

I do believe in an underlying purpose to all faiths, that they are instituted for the refinement of behavior in their adherents, and thus are to be respected in all forms and supported as an institution. I believe that people should act on their faith (i.e., I supported the Catholic students' protests at my school when the school tried to put on Da Vinci Code for after-prom). I believe that it is all right for leaders in whatever field, cultural, political, intellectual, to infuse their work with religious principles (i.e., when Tom Cruise does his Scientology crap, I think he's an idiot but support his willingness to be public with it... also support faith-based institutions receiving federal funds... but now we're getting into politics).

I guess my basic guide is Judeo-Christian, with more emphasis on the Old Testament law, that is, the behavioral rules by which to live one's life. I would say that probably there's some Transcendentalist in my belief as well, as I strongly support the enlargement of freedom and the unlimited capacity for improvement of oneself, as well as the sanctity of nature and the environment.

Xinithian
May 3rd, 2006, 12:01 AM
because it is... it isn't based on works, to get to heaven, only faith ...
2 corinthians 5:7 "We live by faith, not by sight."
(as though we cannot see him, we have faith that he's there)
Also, there's a whole book on this that I have explain how this is classified as a faith not a religion.. But you need to believe in something to have faith in it, therefore, Christianity is a religion because your faith comes from your belief that Christ was the saviour.

On the other hand, I also disagree with Athiests that do not consider themselves part of a religion. Athiesm is a religion because it's based on a belief that there is no god.

Ghamu
May 3rd, 2006, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by Xinithian
On the other hand, I also disagree with Athiests that do not consider themselves part of a religion. Atheism is a religion because it's based on a belief that there is no god.

That's what the dictionary says, yeah. But it seems to me that people around my age (at least around here) mostly use the word 'atheist' to describe a person that doesn't believe in god in any form, that it describes a lack of faith in the supernatural rather than an active disbelief in it.

That may be 'wrong' according to the dictionary, but it's typically the way people use words that give them the meaning they have, rather than what a book says they're 'supposed to mean'. Like 'gay' means 'homosexual' instead of 'happy' these days.

Dyani
May 3rd, 2006, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by Xinithian
Athiesm is a religion because it's based on a belief that there is no god.

That pretty cool actually. I think I shall use that to my advantage :p

A -"I don't believe that there is a God!!!"
B - "Ah, but you belive there is no God, therefore you have faith in the fact there is no god."
A - ".... er..."
B - "Therefore you have a faith, therefore you have a religion."
A - "... DAMMIT!"

Ghamu
May 3rd, 2006, 09:42 AM
You're probably going to have to word a bit better than that, though. What you're saying now is that not doing something is the same thing as doing something, that not believing is the same thing as actively disbelieving. Kind of like how not playing football is the same thing as playing football. :p

Titunen
May 3rd, 2006, 03:41 PM
Atheism isn't a religion because religion means that someone believes in something that cannot be proved to exist.

lion_roog
May 3rd, 2006, 03:44 PM
I choose to practice a mixture of Roman Catholicism with more of a Buddist's philosephy(sp*). I believe we are all human first and Chirstians, Muslims, etc second...and that religion is a tool I use to help me in my quest to become a better person.

Muruwa
May 4th, 2006, 12:47 AM
I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, or Mormon as most probably know it as. Why? Because I believe that Joseph Smith was truly visited by God and Jesus Christ and that he really did translate a record of ancient people that lived in America. All the beliefs also make a lot of sense to me too which helps build my faith. I find it sad that so many rumours have been made about my church because it really is a great religion. I find it to be very tolerant of others and it is extremly family based which I like. It focuses on helping people better themselves. Even if you think that it's completly and utterly wrong, you can admire the history of the church, especially the faith the early members had.

Juniper
May 4th, 2006, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by lion_roog
I choose to practice a mixture of Roman Catholicism with more of a Buddist's philosephy(sp*). I believe we are all human first and Chirstians, Muslims, etc second...and that religion is a tool I use to help me in my quest to become a better person.

I guess I'm kinda like you. I'm liberal christian, consider Jesus Christ my Lord and Savior, but I also follow the Dalai Lama (and Buddism) in a non-religious, but moral, sense. Why? Well, I think he's a very accepting, intelligent person that serves as the voice of reason in a world that could really use a voice of reason. He has never forced his religion upon someone that I am aware of, and tells even other buddists to never blindly accept something if they think it is wrong, regardless of who tells them it's right.

Esoterikos
May 13th, 2006, 04:53 AM
I'm an athiest.
I tried and I tried to believe in God. I was forced to go to church by my mother, and I tried to join in. I prayed at school, I prayed at night. I asked god for signs... And even then I tried to believe. And then I realized it was just no use.
But my mind just won't allow me to believe in something I cannot sense in any way whatsoever. It just makes no sense to me.

Also, I figure if there is a god, he doesn't need us to praise him. What worth would that have? He's supposed to be humble, why would he want praised?

The one thing that probably destroyed any faith in god was this one incident though.
My friend had a dog, and she treated that dog very well. It was her best friend. But one day the dog escaped, "ran away" if you will.
And she prayed, EVERY SINGLE NIGHT for YEARS. And she never found that dog, dead or alive. Not a sign.
What possible reason could god have for denying the request to have her dog back?
My friend was a devoted Christian, prayed every night, was kind and, and LOVED that dog.

So therefore, I believe that if God existed he would have gotten my friend's dog back somehow. I mean, he's God, "always has been always will be, a thousand years is like a minute...etc" he wouldn't even have to snap his fingers and that dog would be there.

(Keep in mind, this is all according to what I have been taught and is completely my opinion.)

Zephyr Nexus
May 16th, 2006, 05:26 AM
I consider myself an Ecological-Rational Pantheist, and would like to attend my local Unitarian Universalist Church regularly. My spirituality is a blend of many things from different religions and is very personalized (hey; it makes sense to me). Let me explain.

:bleen: :hmm: :kovusmile:

I was raised a Presbyterian in a liberal household. My parents are both well-educated, and vote Democratic in the U.S. elections (normally across the board). My church is an old mainline Protestant one, and I have been involved in the youth group there in the past (I've been too busy this year). I was baptized and even confirmed in the Presbyterian faith (although I was very careful in my Statement of Faith to keep it consistent with my scientific knowledge). And even though it is a liberal congregation (we support gay marriage, abortion rights, and international human rights efforts), I find myself less and less tied to the traditional Christian dogma.

:confused:

I have very strong ties, however, to my scientific worldview. I believe, because it just makes sense to me, that the universe was created by The Big Bang, expanding violently (continuing to this day), our Earth being just one of many celestial bodies circling around a star. I believe that life, not to discount its value, arose naturally through organic combinations and evolved to create everything we see here today. Now, how do I reconcile this seemingly atheistic, naturalistic worldview with my inherent feeling that there is a spirit in this world?

:hmm:

It is through what is generally a Native American-style belief system that I have done it. I always find spirituality to be found both in large groups of people and in the beauty of nature. And so I have decided that it is these things that are the divine. We have arose as human beings by completely natural processes, but it is our collective spirit - and the spirit of the earth and of other living things - that we look to as God (pantheism). It is through this mechanism that great things are possible, and transcendental truth can be reached. I value the bond that we as humans have with the rest of the ecosystem, and think that we have a responsibility to keep that environment maintained well. It is the beauty of evolutionary theory - that we are all connected in the great Circle of Life.

:hugs:

Timon
May 19th, 2006, 03:20 PM
I'm sort of a Catholic Wiccan.

I was raised Catholic and when I discovered Wicca (which just sort of clicked with me and was something I agreed with with every fibre of my being) I couldn't just throw away everything I had ever been taught and tell myself that the Catholic religion was false. Also I wasn't happy as a Catholic and found it very hypercritical, I can't just switch off faith, and although I consider mysef to be Wiccan, I still have some of the Catholic beliefs I was brought up with.

lionloversam
May 20th, 2006, 03:38 AM
I am a christian. I was raised as a christian as far back as I can remember. Why? It is what my parents have taught me to be true. Now, being 21... I am starting to ask myself "Is this what I believe?" I am leaning towards 'yes'.

Linda
May 26th, 2006, 04:17 PM
I?m a christian to.. Well no. Sweden is a christian country so almost everyone are christians. But me, no. I don?t go to church or praying or anything like that. And I don?t believe in God or anything the bible says (all you christians out there, don?t hate me!! :cringe: ). My god is Mufasa.. =)

June 20th, 2006, 05:12 PM
I was bapistisef Ipisciabalian (Is that how it's spelled?) but I beleive in Native American/ African Shamanism. It is NOT Voodoo. They are different, Voodoo is the Black arts in which Sorccerers bring the dead back to life with frog poisin. It is only practiced in Haiti. I am not Voodooist. Am Shamanism. I am told by family, if we had a family religion, We would be Buddisht. Because, it is more of spiritualism than religion. Wait, what?
:confused:

Shadow
June 20th, 2006, 06:11 PM

ditto on that

even though i have nothing agesnt relegion ppl they can belive in there "fake friend" if they want...no seriesly i have nothing agesnt ppl that belive in gods and stuff ....as long as they dont try to bang it in me...like if we talk abut something bad our bad exepriens in my past and he suddenly says

"its god testing you" our some **** he/she have for that secend and forever being my mortal eniemy...stay out of my personal life whit reliegun and stuff and youl be fine..

what bothers me whit some religus ppl is this...

"they pray something like "help me throw this " our something like that...ok lets say the person makes it throw that "hard time" and you say...

"see i told you ,you could do it..:"

and then he goes like..

it wasent me its all thank to god he answer d my prays....

" i seriesly have to force myself to keep my mouth shut...i mean come on...there is no higher power that helps you throw stuff..its all thanks to yourself ( thats what i think)

but to answer the thread and stuff....

no i have no relegion...i slightly belive in spirits though but its nothing like religion.... why becuse my famely dusent belive our go to chirch....but my parents always told me that i could belive in anything and they would respekt that...

Dare
June 20th, 2006, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Avatar of Earth
Voodoo is the Black arts in which Sorccerers bring the dead back to life with frog poisin.

That's kind of an unfair generalization...voodoo is actually much more than the stereotype of zombies, necromancy, sorcery, satan worship, and/or black magic. Don't believe everything you see/hear in Hollywood.
;)

lion_roog
June 20th, 2006, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Wicked
That's kind of an unfair generalization...voodoo is actually much more than the stereotype of zombies, necromancy, sorcery, satan worship, and/or black magic. Don't believe everything you see/hear in Hollywood.
;)

I know!...Zombies have their own religion!...It's called Scientology...:D

SpiritWolf77
June 27th, 2006, 08:03 AM
I'm an atheist/agnostic.

Basically, I do not believe in a god/deity of any sort, but being that it's impossible to prove or disprove the existence of a god I'm not of the opinion that the nonexistence of god can ever be portrayed as a fact.

I'm a skeptic when it comes to things I can't see or prove but I do have some personal spirituality that is a meshing of eastern philosophies (such as Buddhism) and actual scientific understanding.

Matt_1103
June 28th, 2006, 02:52 AM
Born & raised Roman Catholic. I was actually confirmed a couple of months ago.

Guntur
July 1st, 2006, 08:47 AM
Was born Sunni Muslim. and believe 25 prophet and 4 'kitab'

la_reina
July 23rd, 2006, 04:00 PM
I was born and raised Muslim and believe that there is only one god without parents, children etc. He has prophets and Jesus is one of them, Muhammad being the last.

I still don't understand why Christians and Catholics believe Jesus is the son of god. In Islam to affiliate someone with God is one of the most serious sins you can commit.

Daniel
July 23rd, 2006, 04:51 PM
something else i would like to know (ijn the christian faith) is if we are all supposed to be god's children, then what is so special about Jesus?

la_reina
July 23rd, 2006, 05:09 PM
That's a good question Dan...

nathalie
July 23rd, 2006, 05:13 PM
@ La_Reina, your previous post, that makes me think/wonder alot about, why there are so many different religions out there.

A-non-a-mus
July 23rd, 2006, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by la_reina
I still don't understand why Christians and Catholics believe Jesus is the son of god. In Islam to affiliate someone with God is one of the most serious sins you can commit.

Well, the base reason behind would be because we arn't islam... we're christian, and therefore believe differently ...

I don't understand why islam doesn't believe Jesus is the son of God ...

as for the reasons christians believe Jesus is christ, the son of God, well ... Jesus said so[1], God said so[2], and it was repeated many many times.

[1] Luke 22:70
They all asked, "Are you then the Son of God?" He (Jesus) replied, "You are right in saying I am."

[2] Matthew 3:17 And a voice from heaven said, "This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased."

Originally posted by Daniel
something else i would like to know (ijn the christian faith) is if we are all supposed to be God's children, then what is so special about Jesus?

Jesus is God in the Flesh, God's son, we are refered to as 'child of God' because we are of God, we believe that Jesus is the son of God

1 John 5
1Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God, and everyone who loves the father loves his child as well. 2This is how we know that we love the children of God: by loving God and carrying out his commands. 3This is love for God: to obey his commands. And his commands are not burdensome, 4for everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith. 5Who is it that overcomes the world? Only he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God.

8We know that anyone born of God does not continue to sin; the one who was born of God keeps him safe, and the evil one cannot harm him. 19We know that we are children of God, and that the whole world is under the control of the evil one. 20We know also that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding, so that we may know him who is true. And we are in him who is true?even in his Son Jesus Christ. He is the true God and eternal life.

Matthew 12:

46While Jesus was still talking to the crowd, his mother and brothers stood outside, wanting to speak to him. 47Someone told him, "Your mother and brothers are standing outside, wanting to speak to you."

48He replied to him, "Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?" 49Pointing to his disciples, he said, "Here are my mother and my brothers. 50For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother."

as to what's special about him... well that's too numerous to list out...

Tiikeri
July 23rd, 2006, 08:17 PM
Seconded. Although I would like to add that I really really hate the types of religious groups who try and get you to join their group, Jehovah's Witnesses are a perfect example of this. Please, stop knocking on our doors and forcing us to look interested whilst you bring up some boring shoite about your faith. If I ever become a JW or any other religion, it will be because "I" want to, not because some see you next tuesday in a suit knocked on my door and told me that being a JW makes him happy and therefore assumes it would make me happy too.

Nephilim
July 23rd, 2006, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Tiikeri
Seconded. Although I would like to add that I really really hate the types of religious groups who try and get you to join their group, Jehovah's Witnesses are a perfect example of this. Please, stop knocking on our doors and forcing us to look interested whilst you bring up some boring shoite about your faith. If I ever become a JW or any other religion, it will be because "I" want to, not because some see you next tuesday in a suit knocked on my door and told me that being a JW makes him happy and therefore assumes it would make me happy too.

I will join JW once they actually do something to help people, like give blood. x)

Kapasa
July 24th, 2006, 05:27 PM
I believe in God although im not a Catholic (protestant).

And I have to admit reigion is resposible for so much pain and suffering. In battles, wars, crusades, jihads.....

I don't see anything remotely holy about war.

I believe in God because the chance of a universe exiting with the right number of dimensions for life, the chance of life exiting,life on a planet the correct distance from the sun, the chance of natural forces being in balance for life to exist such as gravity without there being a God is in my view impossible.

My belief also explains the origin of the universe, why everything works, fits in to the world perfectly. As well as the diversity, complexity and beauty of life and the world.

Stormfury
July 25th, 2006, 05:37 PM
Lycian Wicca.

nafklt
July 29th, 2006, 03:15 AM

Ditto!:ayecapn: :evilgrin: :D :hakuna: :bleen:

Jackandsimba
August 27th, 2006, 11:56 AM
Religion is sometimes used as an excuse for war, there is nothing holy about war, in all of the mauscripts (sorry here if I'm mixing computer scripts and religious scripts) in almost all religions promote peace, and harmony. Not war and hatred, you may dislike a person for something they believe in, but in my opinion, everyone is right.

Myself, I have no religion, I worship nothing and intend to stay that way, unless a starnge ghostly hand lifts me off a cliffe and claims to be god/allah, then i shall convert to that faith.

EDIT

Since I wrote this, certain things have happened, no, a strange ghostly hand has not dangled me off a cliff, but I have to have RE/Ethics at school and after learning about many different faiths and religion, I am a mixture of a few.

Every year I sing about God/Jesus at Christmas Concerts at school, and it's kind of got into my head, so I think there may have been a child born 2000 whatever years ago, but I don't believe he was born of a virgin, I believe he was bron of Joseph and Mary and GREW UP to be the saviour of the Earth...

Also, due to learning about the Great Buddha in RE, i have decided to take aboard some of their ways of life. They say that as a young boy, the Buddha sat beneath a tree and saw THE CIRCLE OF LIFE [:D] unfold infront of his very eyes, and saw that everything happens for a purpose, I believe this: Everything in this world exists in a great balance, one thing happens because another thing did, and that these all will eventually lead up to something BIG, like the evolution of man.

Katari
August 27th, 2006, 08:58 PM
If being a Christian is about intolerance, why is it that, in many cases, Christians are not tolerated? For example, at my dad's place of work (a major U.S. company), Muslims are given special "days off" in accordance with their holy days -- Christians are not given the same privilege. I agree with those who say that war is not holy, but just because it is not "holy", does not always make it "wrong".

I am a Christian because, where is the hope in other religions (and yes, Christianity is not a true "religion", but a faith)? Where do you go when you die -- to some Paradise with 700 virgins, or whatever it is the Muslims believe? All Christianity demands is belief, and faith -- no rules and endless lists of requirements. It's not about service -- it's about love -- we serve Christ because we love him and want to, not because we need to in order to be saved.

That's not to say that I don't respect the opinions of others -- I think they are incorrect, but that gives me no grounds to shoot them, or berate/mock them, or whatever. We can have a civilized discussion, even if our viewpoints don't see eye to eye.

Utora
August 30th, 2006, 09:18 PM
I really just don't know.

I believe in God, I am saved, and that is the extent. It is very difficult for me to even feel as if I can put my life to this with Christianity. It's difficult. for the most part, non-denomnational Christian.

Why? : Well......I went through alot of hard stuf in various churches. Baptst, Catholic, Orthoox, Methodist...ALOT of churches and only one was good but it didn't last. Also I have difficulty seeing how christianity really is what it's cracked up to be. My family is supposed to be..but nobody keeps to the law of God...HARDLY EVER....no boundaries. Obviously nobody is perfect and can fit it all like Jesus, but I can see where it REALLY goes askew in my home. I was abused by somebody who so called christian, and he told me that Jesus hated me and that I was not worthy. I've also been told by many parties in my family that I'm possessed or see demons, and hear the devil. The Lord terrifies me,, for one....and if this is how God works..forget it. I'll remain thinking He's up there, and that I'm saved......but that's about it for now.

Lamby
September 28th, 2006, 07:04 AM
Utora, I so wanna give you a hug. Jesus doesn?t hate you, he couldn?t possibly, He loves you, he DIED for YOU. and God, he IS love he shouldn?t terrify you, well I know I'd be scared if I was going to see him face to face tomorrow or something, but its more like a respect 'your so holy' kind of fear. I mean he calls us his kids and he's like our dad, that might not be very comforting if you've had bad experiences with family but the difference is God IS perfect and would never do anything to you that wasn?t the best thing for you.
If you?ve accepted Jesus you are not possessed by demons because Jesus cannot live with them.
Even though you?ve had a bad run read the Bible and learn for yourself. I?m praying for you.

Ciara
October 2nd, 2006, 05:20 PM
1. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (100%)
2. Unitarian Universalism (91%)
3. Liberal Quakers (88%)
4. Secular Humanism (77%)
5. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (74%)
6. Bah?'? Faith (70%)
7. New Age (61%)
8. New Thought (57%)
9. Neo-Pagan (56%)
10. Theravada Buddhism (55%)
11. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (52%)
12. Reform Judaism (48%)
13. Nontheist (48%)
14. Mahayana Buddhism (45%)
15. Jehovah's Witness (43%)
16. Scientology (36%)
17. Sikhism (36%)
18. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (35%)
19. Taoism (34%)
20. Hinduism (27%)
21. Jainism (18%)
22. Orthodox Judaism (18%)
23. Orthodox Quaker (18%)
24. Eastern Orthodox (9%)
25. Islam (9%)
26. Roman Catholic (9%)
27. Seventh Day Adventist (4%)

I believe in God when I need help, else I don't Oo Just my opinion. And they've found Jesus skelleton beside that magic hill they talk about in the bible, so I do believe he has been here too. Not as God son literally then, but as a normal guy that just learned about God more than others.

Sesshomaru
October 3rd, 2006, 02:41 PM
I was baptized Roman Catholic, received First Communion in a Roman Catholic church, but was confirmed Episcopalian. I feel, however, that I currently have no religion because I've yet to find one that all my beliefs fit into. I've my own beliefs, few of which actually fit into Christianity. Most of them would get my damned to Hell according to Christian doctrines. Basically I'm trying to find myself and the right religious path for me, which is difficult since I'm not overly religious and notoriously lazy. So despite my upbringing, I feel I have no religion at the moment.

Shadow
October 3rd, 2006, 04:27 PM
(post Edit due to alot of crap that didnt need to be said) "shadows own edit"

Nope i dont have a religun our belive in anything higer

but i do belive in spirits/souls" not the one you can contact whit stuped cards our bottels >.> " you cant mess whit those i belive in

Guntur
October 3rd, 2006, 05:14 PM
^ It's all cool Shadow, It's only matter of opinion and act of faith. Even though you don't have any religion but you have faith in yourself, and what you believe.

I believe who created me and I believe he have the power to take me back, and he give me free will and decision to decided what's right and what's wrong. Even though I say to him "Why did you do this to me?" but always end up "It's part of the world challange and I'm gonna participate it". Right now one of my aunties in ICU Unit in stable condition, She have a great 70 years and she will go back where she belong to complete her circle as a human being.

Even though you have a religion or not it's part of normal life. Beside the world is pretty gloomy if there's no argument and variety.

One last word from me

Hey It's a circle of life. Don't block your mentality and opinion just spread it out =).

(edit: I read the whole text shadow =) It's all good)

Zoltan
October 4th, 2006, 12:29 AM
"I believe in a God
I believe in a Home
I believe in a divine eternal Justice..."

That sums up my religion. I try to find all the roots of the old religion of my nation. It's mixed and melted into christianity for around 1000 years by now. After all it was christianity (the catholic church) - in a sense - that caused it nearly totally vanishing from the world. But over the years the ancient one survived in the rites, habits, tales and traditions - even in the christian-related ones. And this ended up creating a hungarian side of christianity. that we have now: the country comes first, then the whole catholic unity and anything else.
I still go with the basics up there, but still show respect to the organized christian ways that occour here.

October 4th, 2006, 01:32 AM
My religion? Well...It's Neo Shamanism (Neo-Wizardry too...) I don't like the term Pagan. I don't know why, I just don't. I was bapitized as a Ipiscipalian. Bieng raised Agnostic. Chose own path. I respect all religions... We Are One, is how I feel.

Kimbai
October 7th, 2006, 04:53 PM
I believe in God when I need help, else I don't Oo Just my opinion. And they've found Jesus skelleton beside that magic hill they talk about in the bible, so I do believe he has been here too. Not as God son literally then, but as a normal guy that just learned about God more than others

I don't really belive that was his body...Where did you hear this?

I am a Catholic and I belive in God. One of the things that keeps me going is the miracles that happen. Alot of them cannot be explained by scientists, even though they tried. There is alot of proff of God. Things couldn't have just poof came to. Things can't be floating around and then cause the big bang. Just like car parts can't float around and suddenly explode to form a car.. IMO.
How did the huge blast happe? Where did these little material that caused the big bang come from? You see how that doesn't make sense? They also can't explain where those little microrganisms that we came from came from,

(and religion doesn't cause wars. people do.)

But yeah, i am a Catholic. :cheese: Now don't hate me becuase of it either. I hate it when that happens..

Dare
October 8th, 2006, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by Kimbai
Now don't hate me becuase of it either. I hate it when that happens..

I hate you.
:p

As far as I know, no skeleton has been found...or if one has been found (such as the crucified body they found in 1968), there's thus far no conclusive proof that it's Jesus' skeleton, so it's kind of a "believe whatever you want" situtation.

There was a movie called "The Body" in which a supposed Jesus skeleton was found though - it's actually an interesting movie too.

Kimbai
October 16th, 2006, 08:42 PM
I hate you.

*sob* YOU TOO??? D:

XD

But yeah. I belive we would have heard something if they found his body for sure