PDA

View Full Version : TLK in School

Sombolia
April 6th, 2006, 03:58 AM
Sooo.. wow.

Explanation: Every Wednesday we have to take a class called "Positive Action", though it's more like dealing with negative emotions.

The past few weeks the topics have been "discouragement" and "loneliness". Today's topic was "jealously", and how all three relate to eachother.

So what does the teacher do? He plays the "Life's not fair.." clip from TLK. And makes have a discussion.

Also: My English teacher also used TLK as an example of a film with an instrumental soundtrack, though she didn't play any of TLK's instrumentals in class, just bits of Hakuna Matata and Be Prepared as we were exiting the class.

So.. you ever experienced TLK in school? Aha.

Kovu The Lion
April 6th, 2006, 05:45 AM
Yes we have, we were playing the "can you feel the love tonight" in chorus once, and the band played the song so yeah <3

Kiara
April 6th, 2006, 07:26 AM
yea, a lot, sometimes we sing hakuna matata, but I'm like the only one who know the song, and we have been singing Can you feel the love tonight and the lion sleeps tonight in the chorus conserts ... I had the files uploaded here before, but I think some Temba put them in his website after ^^ So yea, beside that, I've seen a lot of TLK in my schools

This Land
April 6th, 2006, 10:38 AM
Me and a few friends in collage (what friends where there for me anyway) was bored while we was using the drilling and milling machines one time and i started to sing He lives in you and as soon as i did one of my friends started to do the african chant to go with it :lol: Even though he wasnt much of a tlk fan he knew some of the lines aswell because of the endless amounts of times he lidtened to it while his sister was :).

Another time in when i was walking down the corridor and as soon as one of my teahcres saw me he started to whistle The lon sleeps tonight :lol: Because basicly everybosy in the whole collage knew about me liking the film. Which in a way i was fine with untilyou get the students who take things another way.

At the end of the collage term the whole class was gonna watch TLK by suprise (Teacher suggested it to me) until when i put the dvd in we found out the dvd player dont work :(

Noodle
April 6th, 2006, 01:01 PM
Well my science teacher was teaching biology and explained abit of life from TLK.Also last year while in french i got to watch SP & TLK3 on DVD :D.

Ashara
April 6th, 2006, 01:02 PM
We used to mention it. My teacher used to be amazed to hear about Ahadi, Mohatu, and Ni for some reason 0_o

Kiara Serengeti
April 6th, 2006, 02:35 PM
Not in school--I'm homeschooled, btw--but it has been fairly significant in my family though. When it came out in the video store I wanted to see it sooo bad...I was bunches younger then...but I wasn't ALLOWED. My Grandma claimed TLK was "evil" and that she'd never let ANYONE watch it. Apparently it teaches kids to worship animals (Simba's Presentation scene was a big issue with anti-TLKians :p) I was about seven or eight then...didn't see TLK till it aired on ABC in 2004...then I got the DVD right away!!! My older sister watched TLK (and hated it). She hadn't been allowed to see it either...my big brother joked that he would "tell Grandma" :rolleyes:

Shadow
April 6th, 2006, 03:38 PM
there is a huge drawing in a room of TLK 2 in the room i have math i asked if i could have it "am a greedy basterd i know X3" but they said it was a present from an erlier student here befure so after that i didnt want it hehe but i think its really cool becuse its like the worst copy..its huge and exaktly as the TLK2 front cover......

Mushroom
April 6th, 2006, 07:58 PM
We've song a few TLK songs at school.

But I was ssoooooo jealous of the Year 10s this year because they got to do the opening of TLK for their media coursework. We had to do the beginning of Baz Luhrmann's 'Romeo+Juliet'..boring.

Krypto
April 6th, 2006, 09:04 PM
I don't remember the reasoning behind it, but we watched it in fifth grade. We watched in tenth grade to illustrate ecosystems. And we also watched it in some sort of "general" class which everyone took in the tenth grade also. I can't remember the reasoning behind that, either. So, I've run into it a fair amount. I'll be sure to bring it up when I'm a teacher as much as I can! :lol: :cheese:

imported_Rafiki
April 6th, 2006, 09:25 PM
We watched it in English class after we had read "Hamlet" and analysed similarities and differences.

Krypto
April 7th, 2006, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by Rafiki
We watched it in English class after we had read "Hamlet" and analysed similarities and differences.

That was definitely a good idea! :cheese:

Nephilim
April 7th, 2006, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Rafiki

Argh. Hamlet. *sporks*

Um, once we were going to watch it in biology during my last week of school, but we didn't. Such a tragic tale. :woeisme:

Jackandsimba
June 25th, 2006, 11:56 AM
Erm... I'm kind of the only source of TLK in my school... :( Once I stuck up a drawing I did about TLK and I was immediately told to take it down. My school drains us of all fun and indivduality. :(

One day I'm gonna set up the projector in the hall to start playing TLK during the middle of assembly and I'm gonna instigate a "Stop Block". My school has this wierd program, (Don't ask why) where it just makes sure whatever is playing on the projector doesn't stop until the password is cracked! =D

Matt_1103
June 26th, 2006, 01:12 AM
We watched it in Theatre when we were talking about Shakespeare and Hamlet and all that good stuff.

Dyani
June 26th, 2006, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Noodle
Well my science teacher was teaching biology and explained abit of life from TLK.Also last year while in french i got to watch SP & TLK3 on DVD :D.

We used to watch TLK in French too! :wow: Only it was in french.. so no one understood it apart from me. So whoever was sitting next to me would get a continual script from me all the way through. My french teacher thought I was literally translating it as it went along, she was well impressed
:evilgrin:

Until I told her I knew the script off by heart :lol:

zazulover01
June 26th, 2006, 09:04 PM
Two years ago I had to go to the preschooler's room to give their teacher something and there was a door open and on the wall in the other room there was a painting of Mufasa, Sarabi, and Simba on the wall. I went to go look at it but the girl who came with me thought it was stupid and just left after giving the teacher the thing.

Zephyr Nexus
July 1st, 2006, 04:47 PM
Well, The Lion King keeps managing to work its way into my life.

:cheese:

During my European choir tour (6/9-6/22), TLK was brought up more than once. First of all, when my group was walking on a road along a cliff in Cinque Terre, Italy, a friend brought up the famous scene of Mufasa and Scar. I didn't hear all of it, but as we were looking downward into the Mediterranean, they were definitely arguing "No, that would be Scar then..." after obviously not seeing the movie in a while.

:lol: :haha: :jejeje:

Also, on the way back from Versailles, France near the end of our trip, "I Just Can't Wait to be King" was brought up, and people were starting to hum it. "Oh, how does that go again?" (Well, it was a choir tour after all.) After that, another friend and I got to talking when she mentioned the lackluster quality of the current Disney movies. "You know, when we were kids, the movies were instant classics, like The Lion King," she said.

:D :cheese: =D

It's nice to have others agree.

Sudi
July 5th, 2006, 11:39 PM
On one of the last couple of days of school my friend brought Tlk on DVD to first period and we watched like the first 30 minutes of it:cheese:

Prince Simba
July 11th, 2006, 02:36 AM
We watched Der K?nig Der L?wen in my German class on more than one occasion.

*sue*
January 4th, 2007, 10:19 PM
omg! i wish our school did work on tlk! we only do shakespeare or someting like that, but doing the opening of tlk would be so good to write about...
anyway the only experience i have about it in school was when it was the last day in biology and the teacher put on tlk (i was so excited i jumped out of my seat! i got funny looks) :lol:

We only got up to the bit with were mufasa dies :( but when the lights came back on everyone was crying!

(really everybody loves tlk) ;)

LunarCat
January 4th, 2007, 11:12 PM
my drama teacher always uses the scene where mufasa dies for an example of why people react so intently to movies however, i do not remember the exact phrase for that. x) anyway, i hear it mentioned all the time :p

DarkPaw
January 5th, 2007, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Prince Simba

That's a great dub, no?

Kalahari
January 5th, 2007, 07:09 PM
My first grade teacher HAD too. Because it was written into my IEP.

Prince Simba
January 5th, 2007, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by DarkPaw
That's a great dub, no?

Yeah. One time, one of my friends told me he thought German was an ugly language. IMO, TLK is better in German, especially some of the songs.

Hope & Pride
January 5th, 2007, 08:29 PM
I've probably mentioned in a couple of places but ill mention it again.
One day I walked to my school and noticed that there is a small paper on the bulletin board saying "Are you tired of the old ringtone? Send us a new one and we might consider it!"

And I thought.. You betcha! :evilgrin:

So now we have an instrumental version of IJCWTBK as a ring.
When my class first heard it some started it me knowing im the TLK freak :D

Sombolia
January 6th, 2007, 01:21 AM
Ah, only one school year later, and we've jumped from discussing TLK to discussing Requiem for a Dream. :lol:

I'm jealous! My school doesn't even offer German. :\

DarkPaw
January 6th, 2007, 01:32 AM
Yeah. One time, one of my friends told me he thought German was an ugly language. IMO, TLK is better in German, especially some of the songs.

I think Be Prepared is awesome in German-I listened to a few others, and I think Hebrew might be the only contender there.

Anyway I remember once I was in school and a friend and I were jokingly singing Lion King songs waiting for the teacher. She came in and stared at us, and then asked us what we were doing. Everyone in the class room told her and were all begging her to let us keep going.

She had some stuff to do, so she let us sing IJCWTBK. Later on in the year the same buddy and I re-wrote CYFTLT to be a song about atomic bonding. The assignment might have been a song, so we started going and everyone loved it, doing the 'chanting' in the background. It was hilarious-the teacher loved it so much she asked us to give her a copy. I wonder if she still has it...

HasiraKali
January 6th, 2007, 07:28 AM
How have I never posted in this topic? :hmm:

Anyway. :lol: I've done a few TLK projects for assignments. One year in geography, we had to make up our own continent and have as many of the different types of geographical places as possible. I did a giant island shaped like Mufasa's head. :lol: I had the hyena archepelago and all these rivers named after various characters. I think my favourite was the Sarabi Oasis ;) That was a fun project. I also wrote several essays on the film as well. I was looking through one of my yearbooks a few months ago and saw that the favourite movie that year was TLK. It was 94-95 and I remember campaigning for people to vote for it. :lol:

Sam//x*
January 9th, 2007, 05:16 PM
We watched it once in my Biology class because we had nothing else to do and it was the end of term!! I was really happy and recorded part of it on my phone to make *Sue* jealous and when she saw it she went to my Biology teacher and asked to lend his dvd because she didnt have it!! The Lemon :D x...xXx...x

*sue*
January 9th, 2007, 05:18 PM
he looked worried when i asked to borrow it! but it dosnt matter now because i have the trilogy! lol