PDA

View Full Version : Your Jobs

TommyP32891
April 1st, 2013, 10:08 PM
This thread got deleted as well, so I'm restarting it.

I have only ever had 1 job, and here's my story.

I worked as a dishwasher at Steak N Shake (a restaurant here in the US), and I was there for a year & 4 months, and that first year was great. I got along with everyone there then the General Manager left and it went downhill from there. I only lasted 4 months with the new managers. The reasons I quit were due to poor management as the 2 new managers didn't know how to run the place properly, my hours were being cut for no reason at all & my anger was getting out of control that I would have called 1 of the managers the N word & would have been a danger to everyone & myself, so I quit before it got to that level.

I get Social Security checks for my disability, so I technically don't need to work, but I want a job to have extra spending money therefore I'm looking for another job though those 2 managers that gave me hell are gone now, so my first option is to reclaim my old job since there is one manager there that I like, so I might have an advantage there.

HasiraKali
April 2nd, 2013, 12:24 AM
I think everyone knows that I'm a science teacher. I'm teaching 7th grade right now, but I've been thinking about moving up to high school here in the next few years. I like my job, I just get frustrated with some of the things that the administration pulls. They make some pretty poor decisions sometimes.

Kasei
April 2nd, 2013, 03:48 AM
I applaud you, I could never teach middle school. Too many hormones.....*shudder* I teach art at an elementary school that goes from Kinder to 5th and, let me tell you, by 5th grade I am ready to wash my hands of the attitude. e_e You are a special person to be able to handle 7th graders.

Sombolia
April 2nd, 2013, 05:38 AM
Unemployed. Boo...

Last (and only) job I've had was as the assistant band director at my old high school. It was mostly, well, assisting the band director: office work, cleaning, running errands, etc. And also dealing with high school kids, which was the worst part :lol: I mean it wasn't so bad since I was just out of high school myself but there were definitely a few points where I got really pissed at various students, I'm not sure how teachers do it honestly!! It was a pretty sweet gig though, really flexible hours, and of course my boss was an old teacher of mine who I got along really well with. Also, I got to go to Disneyland for free! Working half the day but still, nice.

The only problem was that our payment schedule was really weird due to bureaucratic school district BS, I never knew when I was actually getting my money and it just wasn't worth it for what I was getting paid.

I've applied at a few places since I left there but no callbacks yet. ): I'm a student still living with my parents so I'm not in a dire situation, but I'd like to be able to help out, and have some extra spending money.

As for like, a career I'm not sure what I want to do yet. I'm interested in journalism and politics, but also stuff like video editing, animation, camera work, etc. So I dunno, I'll see where I end up I guess.

Azerane
April 2nd, 2013, 06:59 AM
Currently working 30 hours a week at a hardware store, woo! I've been there for five years last november. I was getting really bored of it. The only reason I came back to it after my last trip to america is that I couldn't get anything else. I Was a checkout chick for roughly 4 years, super tired of that and was lucky last year to be offered a different role. So now I do price integrity. It's early starts, but I have fairly regular hours, don't have to deal with customers quite so much (I honestly hate customer service, I'm not a people person. I mean, I'm nice to customers and handle customer service well, I just don't like doing it), and while I have a schedule and standard that I have to keep, I basically get to do the work the way I want to and organise it my way, just as long as I get it all done. So it's nice. At the moment, it's kinda stressful since we have stocktake in 6 weeks, I'm meant to complete the price audit cycle in the five weeks prior, yet there's seven weeks of the price audit cycle left... no idea how I'm going to squeeze it all in, but just going to have to do the best I can. My plan is to take some of my annual leave shortly after stocktake, can't wait for that time off.

King Simba
April 2nd, 2013, 07:11 AM
I work in a supermarket on the checkouts (also a checkout chick. :p) I've been there since January now, since it was a new store. I quite enjoy it, at least I get along well with the people I work with and most of the customers seem to be nice. I've only had a couple of rude ones since I started... one was stupid enough to forget his ID (we do a "Challenge 25" thing where I work, which basically means if someone looks under 25, you have to ask for proof of age) so when I asked him for it since he was buying alcohol, he kicked off and started swearing, saying that he hasn't been ID'd in about 10 years, that he found it inconvenient because he had to go somewhere else, etc. Sorry, but if you're stupid enough to forget your ID in the first place, then I don't think you're gonna have much luck elsewhere. -_-

It's not that stressful either, at least you can sit down if your legs ache and stand up if you want to stretch your legs. I only do 15.5 hours per week (don't ask me why they didn't just round it off to 16 hours) but it's something, and it's enough for me to get to see Leor. :) I'm just glad I'm not unemployed anymore.

Dare
April 2nd, 2013, 02:27 PM
I'm a Webmaster and SEO (Search Engine Optimization) Technician - been doing this for just over 4 years now and can't really complain. It's frustrating at times because I often run into people who seem to lack common sense and/or the most basic of skills (like people who can't figure out how to sign into their own email), but that's just the way the world works...and regularly reading ClientsFromHell.Net (http://clientsfromhell.net/) helps me keep things in perspective. Fortunately, I haven't had a client (yet) that I thought should be submitted to that site, but I figure it's only a matter of time. Sometimes, it's like herding cats...or people with heads that are full of cats. Cats. CATS EVERYWHERE!
:lol:

But yeah, it's not bad. I have a steady supply of coffee, a great boss (though he is a bit unorganized), health insurance (which is a VERY big plus), and a paycheck that covers my basic needs.
I really can't ask for anything more.
:)

Before I had this job, I worked in retail. Two words: never again...or, if I must, for a company that isn't run by an incompetent adminisphere. I am by no means an expert in how to run a business, but I know a bad business decision and/or bad managers when I see them.

Simbaspirit
April 2nd, 2013, 03:06 PM
Right now I'm designing training programs on how to eliminate a culture of gender based violence for every college student/staff who will enter the university I'm a student at for the next 5 years.. no pressure :lol: it's pretty high stress, and since I'm almost failing out of school I don't think the extra work is helping, but since I'm going to school 5000 kms from home I need some way to pay the bills. I also sell zines, art and tshirt designs online and I've made much more doing that then I ever thought I would.

Past jobs have included a bookstore clerk, a starbucks barista (never again), and a waitress.

Sharifu
April 2nd, 2013, 04:27 PM
I'm a cashier at a store called Fred Meyer. Fred Meyer is a store that sells almost everything. They have a grocery section, a deli and a Starbucks, clothing section, electronics section, home and garden section, and they have a gas station outside. I've been working there on and off for a few years.

Retail is definitely not a job I want to work at long term... Doesn't pay very much, and like Azerane said, I'm like her, I'm not a really a people person. I am nice to customers, but I usually don't start conversations with them while helping them, like some other cashiers do. Don't like dealing with rude people, but luckily that doesn't happen very often, most people are nice. But it's a nice temporary job for now. The people I work with are nice. I get paid a few dollars higher minimum wage, I get 32 hours a week most of the time, I have a lot of vacation hours saved up, and my husband and I get health insurance through my job. Also, Fred Meyer makes it convenient to buy things. If I need to buy groceries after work, I don't even have to leave work, I just buy the food in the same building after I get off from work. I pretty much buy everything there, clothes, video games, any home items I need, gas for my car... :p The employee discount is nice. And I've become a more coupon savvy shopper since I started working there. :lol:

ThiagoPE
April 3rd, 2013, 02:36 AM
Today i made 6 years working in the same job

Im a Public Emploed working at the enginering council of my state doing administrative tasks. we can be allocated in several areas of the company, i spent 2 years working as attendant, but now im working in the office, organizing the process

Simbaspirit
April 3rd, 2013, 02:36 AM
I just got another job today - I'm training horses! It's only a few hours per week but I'm training the horses of one of the most well known farriers in the province and it's the highest paying job (per hour wise) that I've ever had :D

Leorgathar
April 3rd, 2013, 03:32 AM
I just got another job today - I'm training horses! It's only a few hours per week but I'm training the horses of one of the most well known farriers in the province and it's the highest paying job (per hour wise) that I've ever had :D

That's so awesome! I'm happy for you :D I wish you the best luck training horses ^^

I don't think this is news for anyone really, but I'm a soon-to-be dental surgeon. I already have a dental office along within my dad's office (he's an ophtalmologyst, so we share some areas). I work along with an assistant doing any kind of basic dental treatment, but I'm capable of making dental prosthetics too, be fixed, removable or total dentures. In my office I always look for ways to reduce the patient's stress or fears, and try to make the procedure as nice as possible, while also educating the patient in how important dental hygiene is to prevent future complications as well as how to properly perform it. I also know how to make eye prosthetics for my dad's patients, so we're like a team on that, hehe.

If things go as planned, in a couple of years I want to move to England with Tara, and work as a dentist there. I'm very hopeful for that :)

Utora
April 8th, 2013, 01:42 PM
I work in Security.
My form of Security is in a call center environment monitoring alarm systems, calling on anything from fire alarms, medical and burglary alarms to communication issues and providing technical support. Lately they've got me doing Data entry things (creating new accounts for dealers (like a new business we contracted, Dollar General for example)) and then SMB (Secure Managed Broadband) where I spend 4 hours in a phone call with an AT&T guy trying to synchronize routers and all that WONDERFUL STUFFS. I like technical fields, yet this job is time consuming.

I work 12 hour shifts, by night from 1800 to 0600. It is rotating which means, no college. Not practically anyways.
I've been there almost a year and am trying to officially be placed in the Data entry department which means M-F 0800 to 1700 and better pay but, we'll see.
It's a decent job, good medical coverage, accrue vacation and sick time each pay period. Lately the management is becoming the elite micromanage department and I am getting tired of being the one of two people out of 12 on our shift that knows anything and is responsible for everything because we know everything and choose to be responsible while others make more and more mistakes, knowing better but they want their "call stats" to look good so they blow through everything. Their punishment? They don't have to take incoming calls or handle high priority things - I do. Yet, we're all paid the same? Yeah, no. I don't know about that, especially when I clean up their messes, etc.

Nothing is more embarrassing than a disgruntled customer you have to grovel to because another clownbag on your shift didn't adhere to the rules for the umpteenth time and it's technically our fault. I really want to do just technical field, no customer service lol.

But, I have a good job overall!
:)

Lweek
April 8th, 2013, 02:58 PM
I'm a programmer at Centrum holdings s.r.o. It's large media house focused on creating content webs. Like we have got second larges internet newspaper for Czech republic (http://www.aktualne.cz) and more. I'm senior PHP developer and junior in iOS development. But my contract ends by end of may and I move to London. Wish me luck with looking for job there. :) I'm optimist, I've got plenty offers already because my senior experience. :)

I like to program. It is creative and yet very technically interesting job. It is like creating own puzzle and trying to keep it as much effective as possible. I'm glad I choose this profession. :) I'm also quite free man. I have opportunity to work from everywhere where is good internet connection and travel a lot. Also chance for decent money. :)

nathalie
April 8th, 2013, 04:56 PM
Moving to London? Cool! We have to meet up then sometime :p

Lweek
April 8th, 2013, 07:24 PM
@nathalie: Sure thing! You can even sleep at my flat to save money for hotel if You would like come to London. But first I have to discuss it with one particular lioness if she will be not against. :thinks: I won't give her reason to be jealous. :embarassed:

Sombolia
April 9th, 2013, 01:55 PM
Moving to London, huh? How exciting! Good luck. :D

nathalie
April 9th, 2013, 03:01 PM
@nathalie: Sure thing! You can even sleep at my flat to save money for hotel if You would like come to London. But first I have to discuss it with one particular lioness if she will be not against. :thinks: I won't give her reason to be jealous. :embarassed:

Haha ... well, I know my boyfriend, he doesn't care, lol.

But I'm not the kind of girl who would do that do a guy who's involved, but thanks for the offer :p

nathalie
April 16th, 2013, 02:56 PM
Kenny keeps telling me to find something I could sell online or something.

I have been braking my brains over this what I could make or anything like that to even sell :lol:

I'm so lame and uncreative, haha!

I just can't catch a break though, it's the one rejection after the other lately with these job adds, and as of July I'm going to have to get by with 380€/month.
I won't be able to afford medication, therapy, doctor for my problems, won't be able to pay off all my bills, then there's food and all those things you MUST need. And living together with someone I would really like to pay my half of the electric bill, and the heating, as I just feel that's fair.

*sigh*

It's like these people see my name and go like "oh, Nathalie ... no thank you, we don't like the name".

Sombolia
April 17th, 2013, 09:36 AM
Selling stuff online is about the point I've arrived at as well, haha.

nathalie
April 17th, 2013, 09:49 AM
I've been trying to sell stuff from before last summer, ain't working if you ain't giving it away for free.

I still got heaps of stuff left to look through, so the more stuff I can find to get rid off, the lower the prices I can put I guess, lol.

Sombolia
April 18th, 2013, 09:15 AM
My friends sells video game stuff on eBay mostly and he's making a killing. So I'm gonna start with that. :lol:

I thought about parting with some of my TLK stuff, but... I don't know if I can :( lol

This Land
April 18th, 2013, 07:02 PM
I do all sorts *gets list out*

Shoe repairs, watch repairs, key cutting, engraving, dry cleaning, photo ID, Jewelrey repairs (in training) and anything reasonable that a customer throws at me xP. Been doing the trade for over 5 years now.

But that may all change.....
Interview tomorrow for a Team leader position with a rail company, will be pretty much double the pay that I am on and I have managed to get into the final few.
*is nervous*

Lion King Stu
April 18th, 2013, 07:20 PM
I work with her majestys Royal Navy as a supply chain logistican...sounds more exciting than it actually is. A lot of time just ordering in stores ranging from clothing and medical up to ammunition and explosives, a lot of paperwork and sitting behind a desk. Only upside is when I go to the Falklands I don't do so much of the paperwork per say because we send it back to England for the lazy feckers there to do since we don't have the computer systems for me to action it onboard...woot! ^^

Azerane
April 19th, 2013, 06:12 AM
Oooh, best of luck TL, sounds like an amazing opportunity!

Eva Janus
April 22nd, 2013, 09:43 PM
I see some of you guys teach in middle school? Erf, i could never do that... Kids are s disrespectful these days... At least in the U.S.

I currently work at a fast food restaurant called Arby's. Been there over 3 years now. Been a manager for almost a year now. It's not bad, but it's not the best job either. Like Audra, I'm not much a people person.. I can fake a smile all day long but it gets annoying lol. My coworkers tease me cuz I'm so different when I talk to them and when I talk to customers. The mgr position isn't hard but there's so much more responsibility and you get chewed out for stupid stuff.. I'm about to be demoted back to crew member cuz I'm trying to focus on school and I'm not helping the store much as a mgr who only works 2 days a week. We can only have so many mgrs at our store.

Aside from that, I try to sell art when I can. I also am employed by my dad's church to play piano. Yeah, I'm almost 26 and I still live at home. Dad's a minister and a rule for living in his house is to attend church. So might as well make money off it, right? lol. I enjoy playing piano tho. <3

lionloversam
April 22nd, 2013, 11:44 PM
I work at a baptist church as a custodian. I attend a United Methodist church though.

HasiraKali
April 23rd, 2013, 12:14 AM
I see some of you guys teach in middle school? Erf, i could never do that... Kids are s disrespectful these days... At least in the U.S.

Honestly, the biggest problems I have at my job have nothing to do with the kids. The parents are so so so so so apathetic about their kids' education. It makes it really difficult to get the kids excited because they see that their parents aren't. The other big problem is inconsistent discipline from the administration. A kid that's always in trouble will actually get less punishment than one that's done something wrong for the first time. I just don't think that's fair.

Eva Janus
April 29th, 2013, 02:24 AM
Dang.. yeah that isn't fair x.x And yeah I can imagine it's hard to get the kids motivated for school when they have other things on their mind like friends and hobbies.

Revo
April 29th, 2013, 02:33 AM
There seems to be a good deal of variety with different occupations in Lea. Interesting :).

As for myself, I'm just studying atm, and I didn't even land a summer job this season. So I'm going to have a lot of time just hanging about -_- .. I'm hopeful about surviving comfortably with the money that I have though, since I've been working as an Assistant Teacher in programming this spring every now and then.

cleargreenwater
April 29th, 2013, 11:54 AM
I am a desk jockey, haha.

Which in actual parlance is "Accounting Clerk in a mid-to-large size Law Firm". The job itself isn't exciting, but the company is very reliable and most of the employees have been there for years, so they offer side perks that you don't see often anymore: they pay you back for sick AND vacation time you don't use at the end of the year, I can work overtime whenever I need to at my own discretion and choosing without clearing it with anyone (but mostly walk away at 5 PM,) yearly bonuses, full benefits/401K etc. And its only 10 miles from my house, so just the fact that I only have to fill my car up once a week.

So, it's a sure thing that allows me the luxury of a reliable schedule and a certain amount of disposable income to pursue other interests and activities that are a lot more satisfying/rewarding. My only real complaint is that I wish I liked my coworkers more. They're "aight" but I have pretty much zero in common with any of them and don't trust a one of them far as I can throw them, lol.

Simbaspirit
April 29th, 2013, 11:59 PM
I just got a new job! well 2 :D and I've only been in this new town for 2 days so that's not too shabby.. My main job is to work at a small independent bookstore in town (population 1000); they have an amazing selection and great atmosphere and I'm so excited to start. My other job is helping my boyfriend with his job - to maintain and tend to a vineyard in the most beautiful property ever. It's a private vineyard and the owner is a multi millionaire and very sweet. I worked that one today (did lots of hoeing and pruning) and start the bookstore in 3 days :)

Sombolia
April 30th, 2013, 05:09 AM
Nice, SS :) Especially the vineyard, that seems like a rewarding job.

It's so hard to find a job here... I live in a city of 100,000+ and there's a college here so there are tons of young people with the same qualifications as me looking for jobs...

nathalie
April 30th, 2013, 05:35 AM
I'm thinking about maybe taking an accounting education.
More and more companies "demand" that if you do administration, you are able to help the accountant.

I had this in school, and I wasn't that bad at it (it's on my degree actually, "administration & accounting"), I'm not sure how I would cope with it being in my actual job, I'm not that extremely good with numbers.
And terrified if I make a mistake.

But it could help me get a job sooner if I do this and pass the course.

*sigh*

Azerane
April 30th, 2013, 07:56 AM
I'm thinking about maybe taking an accounting education.
More and more companies "demand" that if you do administration, you are able to help the accountant.

I had this in school, and I wasn't that bad at it (it's on my degree actually, "administration & accounting"), I'm not sure how I would cope with it being in my actual job, I'm not that extremely good with numbers.
And terrified if I make a mistake.

But it could help me get a job sooner if I do this and pass the course.

*sigh*

As long as you double-check your work I should think you'll be fine. Some of the paperwork I do is quite important and so I always make sure to double check that I've looked over everything and actioned everything that needed to be done.

shadowland
April 30th, 2013, 11:39 PM
I'm a professional stripper

Sadiki
May 1st, 2013, 02:24 AM
^ That explains the love for duke ;)

HasiraKali
May 2nd, 2013, 01:20 AM
I've been applying to other districts tonight. I need a change of scenery as they say. :p

Sadiki
May 2nd, 2013, 09:57 PM
I just realised I haven't posted where I work at.

I work as a bundlerer at a web press. Basically either hand stacking the product to the bins or strap the bundles and put them to the pallet. Not too exciting but it's a job. Also today I was asked if I wanted to be hired on as I work for them through a temp agency. I couldn't give them an answer though as I need to talk with Audra about it as I can't in all good faith to say yes and then possibly leave in 3 months... I think it looks better on resume if I have one solid work history than a year in one place and then 3 months in another. So probably the only way I will say yes is if there is a possibility for me to transfer to another place after we move which would be a dream even though I do not want to make this a carrier. But it would sure help to have a job when moving.

We mainly print things for Apple, Adobe, Comcast, CostUless, Lowe's and during the summer there is a huge job for Premier which makes student planners... So there is a chance on of you have had a student planner this year that I was part of making XD

Utora
May 9th, 2013, 03:44 AM
Well...

I went to work today, sat at my desk.
The Coordinator for Service and Underwriter's Limited - was a no show. So they just handed it off to me; didn't ask. Is there a pay incentive for that? Of course not.
I packed my gear up, first break I took my boss aside and said see you on the other side. I quit.

I feel like 400 pounds of crap has rolled off my back. I already have three dispatcher jobs waiting for me; I don't want them is the problem. It's the same 12 hour, strewn out shifts with bare minimum pay and a lot of disgruntlement.

:thinks:

I'm tired of feeling like crap at my jobs.

TommyP32891
June 21st, 2013, 09:07 PM
I now have a new job, I am now a cashier at Busch Gardens which is a theme park in the area I live in. Today is my 5th day working there, and I'm really loving it so far though some days like this past Tuesday I have to sell merchandise outside, and that's a bit hard due to the weather, but I get to interact with other people, so it pays off pretty well.

Miss Mandz
July 16th, 2013, 05:00 PM
Woo for fellow theme park employees! :)

I'm currently an Entertainment employee at Walt Disney World, but I'm in the process of a transfer to Photopass. :)

KanuTGL
July 17th, 2013, 12:32 PM
Ooh, nice, Miss Mandz! What's it like to work at WDW? :)

Juniper
July 20th, 2013, 03:12 AM
I'm still working on finishing my PhD in aquatic ecology -- then I'm gonna get me all that biology money. All eight dollars of it.

In the meantime, I work grueling hours for little pay in a field that is saturated and competitive. But I can't complain, I enjoy it and I still make enough to put food on the table and liquor in the cabinet. Plus I do some odd jobs on the side and build a custom guitar every few weeks that I'll consign at a local music shop.

Safila
July 20th, 2013, 01:24 PM
^Custom guitars..nice

5 hours a week in a video shop, 5 hours a week in a nut/lolly shop, casual as cinderella and tinkerbell for a children party planning shop, 3 hour music gig friday night, 3 hour gig once a month at surfclub, any buskng in between and applying for other jobs that you never hear back from .

Loomi
August 13th, 2013, 09:02 PM
I'm a graphic designer and digital printer! :- )

KanuTGL
August 14th, 2013, 09:07 AM
Ooh, nice! That's basically what I'm studying to become, haha... xD

...I also love your avatar :P

Loomi
August 14th, 2013, 08:02 PM
Thanks Kanu! :- ) It's a pretty fun career but you deffo have to slug it out in a Junior position for a while before you really get your graphic groove on!

Azerane
August 16th, 2013, 04:03 AM
What does a digital printer do?

Sombolia
November 7th, 2013, 09:37 AM
...thread bump!

Well, I don't want to get ahead of myself but I had two job interviews this week! :cheese: I've been applying to places for a while and not hearing anything back (I live right next to a college--there are plenty of people in my age group with basically the exact same experience, so, lots of competition). So, interviews are good progess!

I had one interview earlier today at a local movie theater chain. It was actually my first formal job interview... I was kinda nervous and I think I babbled a bit, but the interviewer seemed to like me well enough and we hit on a common interest, so fingers crossed. I'm supposed to hear back from him tomorrow. If that doesn't work out, I've got another interview on Friday at Torrid, which is basically a "trendy" clothing store for plus-size women. I'm afraid I don't fit into their fashion bracket, but I do like the store, so if I don't get the theater job, maybe that one will work out.

...I've also been applying at Hot Topic and Spencer's, because they're the only places I can think of that will let me have blue hair and piercings. -_- Hehe.

Azerane
November 7th, 2013, 10:54 AM
Yay! All the best for some positive results from those interviews :)

nathalie
November 7th, 2013, 11:12 AM
I had a written test last week, and *who would have thought* I failed :alone:

There were things on there I just didn't understand, and I cannot get it, how others did manage to ...
Must be me *shrugs*

Kasei
November 7th, 2013, 11:26 PM
I remember reading this thread but I never actually posted what my job was...so here I go! I am an elementary art teacher for grades Kinder-5th. (that's 5-11 years old) It's not a bad gig, and I enjoy it in some ways but it is a huge life/time sucker and I'd like to be able to dedicate more time to working on my drawing skills so I can one day be a book illustrator or concept/storyboard artist of some sort. Been better about making time for drawing lately, but I need to do more.

Leorgathar
November 8th, 2013, 06:29 AM
I wish you all the good luck, Sombolia, I hope you get a job at that movie theatre, or wherever you're comfortable in ^^ And Nathalie, failing tests happen, I got to fail quite a number of them too before. See it more like experience and less like defeat, surely you can do well. Don't give up :)

I might as well update my work status, even if many of you know already. I'm doing a year of social service at the Central Hospital here. I usually get so see 6 to 8 patients a day, so it keeps me well busy during my evenings. When I'm not seeing patients, I can go to the recovery rooms in the hospital to check on the mouths of patients in other areas for extra points in my service, and sometimes I get called to a different area to help identify a particular mouth/neck disease. I also have to give a small presentation daily about oral hygiene to people gathered in the waiting room, as well as ocassionally special presentations for people with Diabetes and AIDS.
The downside is that the payment is ridiculously low (My social service is actually more like a year of experience after graduating college without real pay, it's a requirement for getting my proffessional degree, but in some few places like the hospital I can still get paid a small amount while in most social service places they don't pay at all, so I can't really complain, hehe). At least I can still work out of the hospital by myself in my own place, and I can fix the price of my treatments there, so that makes up well for it.

Sombolia
November 8th, 2013, 09:11 AM
Thanks guys ^^ I never did get a call back from the theater, but I have an interview with Hot Topic now too! They called me the very next day after I turned in my application, so it seems they either really liked my app or are really desperate for workers... either way works for me :lol: Really crossing my fingers for that one :p

Aw, it's ok, Nathalie. I know you must be bummed but everyone has things they're just not good at! Like Leor said, take it as experience. I hope it goes better for you next time :hugs:

nathalie
August 9th, 2014, 04:45 PM
After 2,5 years of not having a job, I managed to get a 6-month contract with our health care (social security), I started last February.
I signed a new 6-month contract yesterday!

Mixed feelings, the job is OK, the people not so much :(
After I signed the new contract, my supervisor told me what she wrote on my evaluation papers, work was all great, but everything personal about me, was bad :(

Guntur
August 9th, 2014, 04:52 PM
That is sad to hear Nathalie. Yeah some of the co workers are just mean and purely stupid. >.<

For me, It's not a career but I'm really looking forward to work with this company, Driving a Google Street View car around the capital city showing off what's the landmark of the South East Asia most thrill capital city. It's a contract basis for 2 month with 4,000 MYR (1,250 USD) within 2 month.

God I will make an ultimate gaming in this house and will never spent anymore money in 3 years over my PC build.

nathalie
August 9th, 2014, 06:00 PM
I pay people back, so I'm working with money, so I'm very concentrated.
Also, even though I'm in the same room as the other people, they are much closer together then I am, I'm a bit further away, so I can hardly understand what they are talking about. And sometimes they also whisper, I don't know why? *shrugs*

They talk behind my back (I heard them 2 weeks ago, through a door, how I only say stupid things and when it's about Disney).

So yeah ... I don't have the need to talk to them really.
I'm also not from the neighbourhood, and they mainly talk about fancy dinners and holidays, which I know nothing about.

So she wrote on the papers that I don't care for my co-workers.
I don't ask how the weekend was, how their holiday was.

Well, when I had my holiday in June, they didn't ask me either! And I did talk! It's after I came back from my week off, I felt like I was being even more ignored then before.

I'm very mad, that even though I talked about this 3 weeks ago, she still made a report like that about me, which is only from her point of view, instead of talking to me first about these issues!
Because now it makes me look like I'm the real bad guy, which I'm not :(

HasiraKali
August 11th, 2014, 02:28 AM
They really shouldn't be evaluating you on a personal level. I mean, getting along and working with/as a team is important, but you by no means have to "care for your coworkers". I couldn't stand most of the adults I worked with at my last job, but I was always nice to them. Despite them not having any appreciation for me.

I'm still a 7th grade science teacher, but I'm moving to a new school this year. I'm so excited about it, but I'm also really really nervous. I'm going to be working at the school that I attended, and it's going to be interesting to say the least. My new classroom is almost twice as big as my old one. It looks so empty right now. I have a lot of work to do.

Utora
August 15th, 2014, 05:16 PM
@Nathalie:

I'm sorry to hear you're going through that. :/

It sucks, because it's the stupid mentality of the people - nobody is actually getting to know you..and I dislike when people become narrow minded at work. so what if you talk about Disney?

I never evaluate a person on their "personal" skills unless they are popping off to customers rudely. I evaluate a person based on whether or not they can do your job, and frankly if you are doing your job they have nothing to argue with you about.

A similar thing has happened to a coworker here, but they're just aloof. They don't feel a need to inquire about others lives, they stay very distant but do their job above and beyond and are being condemend by other associates who take them the wrong way. I hate to see it happen.

I remember when my chief from out of the distract came in to evaluate me, he mentioned I was not very pesonal and I laughed. I told him that I was no hired to be personal but to do my job, and that I do very well so much so I am teaching others - so it is irrelevant until it becomes a job requirement to be personal.

I don't get it, what's the deal about "caring for coworkers" - if you can work with them, get your jobs done and go home and be at peace who cares.
The IDEAL setting is yes, where you mesh woith everyone but frankly some people are boring or dumb all their negativity onto you. I've elarned to fake it to make it - I'm friends with everyone without compromising myself but this has required me to literally tell some people to screw themselves because they are rude, take advantage of good nature or are invasive.

It's very complicated, and has more to do with the job setting than yourself unfortunately.
These tactis would get me fired at my last job...you never know.

King Simba
August 15th, 2014, 07:36 PM
They talk behind my back (I heard them 2 weeks ago, through a door, how I only say stupid things and when it's about Disney).

So yeah ... I don't have the need to talk to them really.
I'm also not from the neighbourhood, and they mainly talk about fancy dinners and holidays, which I know nothing about.

So she wrote on the papers that I don't care for my co-workers.
I don't ask how the weekend was, how their holiday was.

Well, when I had my holiday in June, they didn't ask me either! And I did talk! It's after I came back from my week off, I felt like I was being even more ignored then before.

I'm very mad, that even though I talked about this 3 weeks ago, she still made a report like that about me, which is only from her point of view, instead of talking to me first about these issues!
Because now it makes me look like I'm the real bad guy, which I'm not :(
Sorry to hear that, Nathalie. I know the feeling, I've had those experiences too. :( Both in my previous jobs and my current one. In one job I had I used to make an effort to join in the conversation but they used to ignore me and act like I wasn't there, or pick on me and say I was doing things wrong all the time.

And tonight I've just been told off for basically talking to customers about my shift mix-up on Monday, and tonight because I had to stay over a bit because they were busy. Apparently the manager wasn't happy with how I was talking to customers about that mix-up on Monday (and I hate that because it means she was talking about me behind my back), and I now got warned about how I was talking to some customers today about having to stay over. I mean, I can understand if I was saying something really bad, but I wasn't. I was only saying things like "I wasn't supposed to be in until 6:30pm but there was a mix up with my shift" and "It looks like I'll have to stay over today then, but at least I get to leave early tomorrow". What's the harm in that? -_- What am I supposed to do? Just ignore the customers and not talk to them? Because the customers were agreeing with me, especially about having to stay over.

I'm getting fed up with that place now. It was a great place when I first started, but more and more people are leaving (and the ones I got on with have left), especially now this new manager has started. Looks like they'll be another one less soon then. :zazugrumpy:

nathalie
August 16th, 2014, 04:34 AM
Hmm, I do think you shouldn't talk about those things to costumers right in the store itself, basically it's none of their business, but I'm a "blabbermouth", I could have easily said and did the same thing, without realizing I'm actually doing it, so it's kind of double feelings, but I think I can understand where your manager is coming from.

Certain things customers just don't need to know. Sorry if I'm not sounding so nice about it :/

As for me, I'm at another office for 2 days a week, and 1 day a week I'm at a desk all by myself at the regular office, so 3 days a week I don't have to deal with them.

But yeah, she wrote some very personal things about me in the evaluation papers, which honestly, did they have to be there?
And "this is a very tight group", so ?? I'm only supposed to be there for 6 months. And now another 6 months. I'll be looking out for a new job in the meantime, because another 6 months as of March there, I don't think I'd want too.

My manager had no right to put some of the things in there that she did, without talking to me first!

King Simba
August 16th, 2014, 06:14 AM
Well it's not so much the fact that I got told off about it. It's more the fact that she was talking behind my back and it took another member of staff to tell me. And it wasn't as if I was saying bad things about it. I like to be friendly with customers and make conversation with them, that's all, and when they ask me about it, it's rude not to reply.

And also the fact that she didn't tell me my shift had changed. She could've easily rang me to say it had changed and asked me if it was alright for me to work that shift. It's just courtesy more than anything, so I needed to vent about it.

nathalie
August 16th, 2014, 08:54 AM
Hmm yeah, I can understand you from that point. They all expect so much from us, but most bosses themselves lack so many skills these days to keep a good thing going -_-

HasiraKali
August 17th, 2014, 11:09 PM
As I've said on Facebook, so I think a good portion of you know, I'm moving schools this year. I was so miserable at my old one, it was making me sick. But now, I'm at the school I actually attended in the 90's :lol: and I'm so excited for this fresh start. We had a new teacher meeting on Friday, and the principal talked to us about her expectations and how she likes to run the school. Everything she said is something I've been wanting from a principal since I started. I'm trying not to get too excited here, but I really think I'm going to be much happier at this school. :)

Sharifu
August 18th, 2014, 12:49 AM
I have a job interview at a Whole Foods Market on Tuesday. Honestly I am little nervous. I usually don't worry about job interviews and just be myself. But when I got a call from Whole Foods today, one of the questions that was asked of me was, "Why do you want to work at Whole Foods?" I told them that my room mate works at a Whole Foods store, loves working there and recommended it. But then she asked me if there was any other reason I would want to work there, and I didn't have an answer. I felt like that made me not look so good. I applied for a few positions at a few different Whole Food locations last night. After applying, the automated emails said, "If you're selected to move to the next stage of the process, you will be contacted via email or by phone for a preliminary screening. It's a good idea to have a base knowledge of our company and Core Values before then." But honestly I didn't give it much thought to do that then. I wasn't really expecting them to call me. Sounds so negative I know, but I applied for different positions for Whole Foods in May and never heard anything. I only got one other phone call in the past six months for a job, and they weren't interested in hiring me once I told them I couldn't work on Friday, even though the reason I couldn't work that day was because of a class I was taking.

Honestly I have never even shopped at a Whole Foods. It sounds really nice, and looks clean, (from pictures I have seen) and really if it wasn't for my room mate, I probably would of never thought to apply there. And another reason I haven't gone into one even though my room mate likes working there, is that Whole Foods sells pretty much only organic food. I would love to buy organic food, but it's expensive! I have heard Whole Foods is an expensive store. But still, I was lucky enough to be asked to come in for an interview on Tuesday. I feel like maybe I should go in a Whole Foods store tomorrow just to look around. I am afraid I they wont want to hire me if I never set foot into a Whole Foods before that point.

Why do retail stores want to know so much why you want to work there? I mean, I feel if I tell the truth, it's not good enough. Just that I need a job and I have a lot of retail experience, in cashiering and customer service. Shouldn't that be enough? I used to think retail jobs were always looking to hire people, and would hire almost anyone as long as they don't do drugs or something. I guess I have been pretty lucky at getting jobs in the past. But now? Not so much. It feels so much harder to just get a phone call for a job interview.

I guess I'll stop being so negative now... :p I guess I'll research a bit more about the company tonight and tomorrow night. I really hope I get this job. Money is so super tight right now. I don't want to have to move back to Oregon without at least finishing the classes I need to take to get my animation certificate.

HasiraKali
August 18th, 2014, 02:12 AM
Whole Foods is a pretty cool store honestly. They have the best (and cheapest) cheeses from all over the world, and I LOVE the Everything Flatbreads. They have nice produce too. In apple season, they have like 15 types of apples, it's amazing. We also go there when we want to make a recipe that calls for cheese to find cheese substitute for my mum who is deathly allergic. It is expensive, but I can't forget her face when she had a grilled "cheese" sandwich for the first time. It was priceless.

As far as your interview goes, just be yourself really and truly. I'd come up with a reason for them as to why you want to work there, but what you said was clearly good enough to get a chance to interview. Maybe mention something about the environment or healthy eating perhaps. The one here is all about local and sustainable consumption. Our local "chain" grocery store is also big on local and sustainable, so Whole Foods has stiff competition with them, making the prices a little lower down here. It's still kind of high for the processed stuff they sell. Poke around their website, find the corporate one if you can. That's what I usually do with schools. It gives you talking points if nothing else, and remember that they LOVE when you ask them questions at the end, so make sure to have one or two to ask.

Good luck!

Sharifu
August 18th, 2014, 02:21 AM
Ah ok, it does sound pretty cool that they have such a big variety of cheese, Petteri and I love cheese. :p I think I will check out the store I will be having an interview at tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice. I do plan to be myself, but I guess I was afraid of not knowing too much about the company. I'll do some research, thank you!

And good luck at the new school you'll be working at. I bet it must feel a little strange to be working where you once went to school? I'm glad you think you'll like working there better! I hope it will be a great first year at that school.

HasiraKali
August 18th, 2014, 03:05 AM
Yeah, they have buckets in the cheese section with "$3 and under" cheeses. They're just remnants from when they cut up the regular blocks, but they're still pretty sizable. I don't think I've ever actually picked up any that were even near $3. Most of it is right around $2. Our favorite ones have been a cranberry cheddar and a Cajun flavored one. So good. :p

It is a little weird, but the science rooms are now in their own building, so it's almost like being at a completely different place. I did find my class's panoramic picture in the main hallway though. :lol: That was a trip, and I'm going to make it an extra credit opportunity for my kids haha.

nathalie
August 18th, 2014, 06:57 AM
Blah, it just happened again. Me and the girl are alone today. A third person comes to help us with the mail, and the girl asks her how her weekend was, and noone asks me. So then why on earth should I be social? God, I was really looking forward to this being my last week really, but I need the money :(

Sharifu
August 19th, 2014, 12:04 AM
I have never heard of a job that requires that you have to be social with other co-workers... As long as you can work together and treat each other respect, isn't that all that matters? Why do you have to talk about your weekend with other people? I'm sorry Nathalie.

Now I have two job interviews tomorrow! I have an interview at a Trader Joe's about five hours after my job interview at Whole Foods. Makes me more hopeful to at least getting hired at one of them, I hope... Fingers crossed! :D

HasiraKali
August 19th, 2014, 12:41 AM
When it rains it pours! That's great. Better odds. ;)

cleargreenwater
August 19th, 2014, 01:36 AM
Hope that Whole Foods works out for you Sharifu, my cousin worked at one throughout college and they paid *very* competitively compared to other food retailer jobs. But at least some opportunities are picking up either one, good luck!

Sharifu
August 19th, 2014, 01:49 AM
If both jobs want to hire me, I wonder which I should choose. I have heard they are both good places to work... I guess it depends on the pay, how many hours they give me, and of course, the distance to work... Whole Foods is closer, so that right there is making me lean more towards Whole Foods. But I'll find out after I go to both interviews. Thanks guys. I really need a job so, I'm hoping for good luck. :)

Azerane
August 19th, 2014, 05:42 AM
Best of luck with the interviews :)

King Simba
August 19th, 2014, 08:19 AM
Good luck with the interviews, Audra. :)

I remember the interview I had for Morrisons (the store I work at now). It didn't last so long (about 15 minutes or so) and all they asked me was stuff like what I like to do in my spare time, what I would do in this situation, etc. Then they asked me to pick a fruit or vegetable, and describe it. :wtf:

But yeah, I know what you mean when you say it seems harder to get a job now, even in retail. At most places here, they don't even want to hire new people, and at the store I work at we're short staffed because so many people have left since it opened.

ThiagoPE
August 19th, 2014, 12:39 PM
I also wish you luck in your interview Audra, the only one i had (right now I work at a govern company, which access is done by a written test) was better than expected: I was applying to be in one job, but they liked so much my interview they putted me in a better place in the company, but I had the sure I was not ready for it, so I ended up only surviving for 3 months. (And this was good because I studied hard and got my govern job that, even not paying much, at least they can't fire me.

Enviado de meu GT-S7273T usando Tapatalk

Kirauni
August 19th, 2014, 03:46 PM
Yes, good luck on that! And please let us know how it went. I'm keeping you and your current job situation in my prayers! :rafikihug2:

Sharifu
August 19th, 2014, 11:37 PM
Thank you everyone. Still not sure if I will get either of the jobs though. I was told at both jobs, if they are interested in contacting me further, I will get a call for a second interview. Which is a little weird for me, in all my past jobs they told me after the first interview was over with, that they want hire me.

The lady who interviewed me at Whole Foods asked me a lot of questions about what I did in certain situations in my previous jobs.

The lady who interviewed me at Trader Joe's seemed more interested in my personality, my sense of humor and what my interests were. When I told her that one my interests was fantasy, she asked me if I watched Doctor Who, and I said "No, but I have a lot of friends who do, maybe I should watch it some time." I hope that didn't count against me to get that job. :lol: The nice thing about Trader Joe's is they will offer me more hours then Whole Foods. I don't know what the pay will be yet though, for either place. But I suppose that is something I will find out at the second interview, if I am lucky enough to get one.

If Whole Foods is interested, she said I would get a call by the latest, in two days. Trader Joe's will call me either way, even to just let me know they are not hiring me. She said she'll call, by the latest Friday...

KanuTGL
August 20th, 2014, 07:49 AM
Ugh, waiting for interview results is truly agonizing xP Really hope it goes well though, Audra! :)

King Simba
August 20th, 2014, 08:50 AM
Ugh, I know the feeling about waiting for the outcome of an interview. -_- For my job now I found out I got the job in the mail, but that was probably because it was a new store and they were hiring a lot of people.

Anyway, let's hope the fact that you don't watch Doctor Who doesn't stop you from getting the job. I don't see why it would though, of course. ;) That would be a silly reason not to employ someone. And I thought Doctor Who was more sci-fi than fantasy? :p

Good luck Audra! I have my fingers, toes, arms and whatever else crossed for you. :D

Sharifu
August 23rd, 2014, 06:54 PM
Well no one has called me... I guess Whole Foods is out. I was told at Trader Joe's that I should get a call by Friday, and that was yesterday. Although she said they were going to call even if they decided not to hire me. Maybe there is still hope, but I doubt it. Back to applying for more jobs. Sheesh...

Thanks everyone for the good luck wishes. :hugs: I think I'll still need them for other jobs I apply for.

HasiraKali
August 23rd, 2014, 07:06 PM
I hate when places do that. All of the schools I interviewed at last year did that, even though they said they'd call either way. At least the two this summer that didn't take me called to let me know they'd decided to fill the positions with coaches instead. I'd say give it until Tuesday before giving up all hope for these two. :hugs:

Sharifu
August 23rd, 2014, 07:22 PM
Thanks. I think I'll still apply for some other places today. But maybe I'll get a call by Tuesday. We'll see.

I think what annoys me about all this is I have over 4 years retail experience in my last job. (And even more when you combine my complete work history) What more do they want? I am friendly and outgoing, but I feel what is most important is that you are a hard worker, my manager and co-workers from my last job in Oregon seemed to think I was, they were sad to see me leave. I feel it's so hard to just get a minimum wage job lately. I mean would people rather I go on welfare, use food stamps? I want to be able to work and pay for everything myself. Petteri's income alone is not enough to support the two of us. When I left my last job at Foods Co in February, I honestly didn't think by the end of August I still wouldn't have a job.

*End rant* :p

But I guess I should be applying for a lot more places. Gonna start doing that today.

KanuTGL
August 24th, 2014, 12:27 AM
I wouldn't give up hope just yet :) When I got my job at IKEA they ended up calling me back over a week later than they said they would, so as long as you haven't heard anything at all it might not be over! Hoping for the best for you :hugs:

ThiagoPE
August 24th, 2014, 03:29 AM
What annoys me most are the unclear methods they use for hiring people, they should art least let the person know why they decided not to hire for that person have the chance to improve in next attempts.

Anyway, I'm one more which hope you get a job soon Audra.

Enviado de meu LT26i usando Tapatalk

nathalie
August 24th, 2014, 04:34 AM
I've been told that a lot too, and then, a few days later I would still get the answer. So there is still some hope I guess :)

Sharifu
August 24th, 2014, 07:12 AM
Ah ok, well maybe there is hope, we'll see! Thanks guys. :)

King Simba
August 24th, 2014, 07:16 AM
Maybe no news is good news. ;) Either way, like the others said, don't give up hope yet. I wish for the best possible outcome for you. :hugs:

Sharifu
August 25th, 2014, 07:22 PM
You guys were right, I just got a phone call from Trader Joe's. I have a second job interview with the manager, on August 31 at 1:00 pm. I feel better now. Still doesn't mean I will get the job for sure, but I think the chances are higher now if I was asked to come to a second interview.

nathalie
August 25th, 2014, 08:04 PM
That's a positive thing already! Will keep my fingers crossed!

King Simba
August 25th, 2014, 08:09 PM
That's great to hear! Good luck. :)

KanuTGL
August 25th, 2014, 08:22 PM
Wohoo! Good luck, Audra! :D

Leorgathar
August 25th, 2014, 08:29 PM
That's very good news to hear! Good luck on that 2nd interview :)

Azerane
August 26th, 2014, 06:46 AM
That's awesome, Audra! best of luck :D

Sharifu
August 26th, 2014, 07:36 AM
Thanks, everyone! :D I'll let you know the outcome of the interview. I would think by the end of the interview, they would let me know if they are hiring me or not. I can't imagine there would be a third interview... :lol:

Kirauni
August 26th, 2014, 08:40 AM
Yeah that's great! I really hope you'll have a nice interview. Let us know if there are any news and good luck!

Azerane
August 26th, 2014, 01:02 PM
Thanks, everyone! :D I'll let you know the outcome of the interview. I would think by the end of the interview, they would let me know if they are hiring me or not. I can't imagine there would be a third interview... :lol:

You may or may not know at the end of it.I think it depends if there's a couple other people they've brought in for a second one or not and if they've done those yet. Then again, they may just like you and hire you on the spot, which would be awesome! :)

Some places have a 3 interview process. My work has it, phone interview, group interview, individual interview. I got to skip my phone interview since they liked my application so much :p That was years ago now.

Sharifu
August 26th, 2014, 06:23 PM
Well true, that makes sense if they are interviewing more people for a second interview. I'm just not even used to having a second interview, all my previous jobs hired me after my first interview.

UPDATE: Oh man, I just got a phone call from another Whole Foods location. The guy said I sounded like a dream with so much cashier experience at Fred Meyer and when he interviews someone and likes them, he usually wants to hire them on the spot. He asked if I want to come for an interview tomorrow. If he wants to hire me on the spot, I don't know what to do. He told me what the starting pay is at least, (the girl who interviewed me at the last Whole Foods said they don't answer that question until the second interview, if you have one) and that he would try to up it a little bit because I have so much retail experience and because what I was getting paid at Fred Meyer. He told me how many hours I would get, which is about the same as Trader Joe's. I wish I knew what Trader Joe's was going to offer me for my hourly pay. That would help me make a decision. If he wants to hire me on the spot, I don't want to tell him, "Well I need to call Trader Joe's first before I can make a decision..." Ahh! :lol:

ThiagoPE
August 26th, 2014, 10:57 PM
That´s so good to hear Audra! i really hope everything goes fine tomorow for you! (specially if they can pay you a little more)

Sharifu
August 27th, 2014, 12:09 AM
Thanks Thiago. :)

Wow, I just got a phone call for an interview at yet another Whole Foods store. She did ask me if I had any other interviews, and the guy who called me earlier from a different Whole Foods asked me the same question. I wonder why they were asking me that, maybe because it's been a week or so since I applied to Whole Foods. (I applied for a few different locations all at once)

The guy who first called me, I did tell him I was interviewed last week at a Whole Foods on Ocean Ave. But I have yet to hear from them. Then when this lady just called me now, I told her I do have an interview tomorrow at the Whole Foods on California St. She asked me if I still wanted to come in for an interview and I said yes, maybe that way I can check out both stores and get a feel for the environment.

But I did not tell either one of them that I have an interview at Trader Joe's on Sunday... I guess I was afraid to mention it. Although I will mention it at the end of the interviews tomorrow if it seems like they want to hire me on the spot. I mean they must understand I need to weigh the pros and cons of each job.

cleargreenwater
August 27th, 2014, 01:28 AM
Hmm. Can you maybe call Trader Joe's back and change the second interview appointment to a sooner time?

nathalie
August 27th, 2014, 03:50 AM
Its very common for them wo ask that, I get that question a lot. I usually say I have some going on, but I never mention where, that's none of their business ;)

I guess they wanna know if you are really available? I don't know. I feel I can't lie and say 'no' either.

They always ask tricky stuff, lol.

Sharifu
August 27th, 2014, 04:17 AM
Hmm. Can you maybe call Trader Joe's back and change the second interview appointment to a sooner time?

No, I was told that was the soonest they could get me in for an interview with the manager. But one of my room mates works at Whole Foods, in fact, the same store that I will be interviewed at first tomorrow. My room mate said he would put a good word in for me since he starts work really early in the morning tomorrow. He also told me that the hiring process takes a long time, first they would send me an email after the interview, then do a background check... He does not think I would start working at Whole Foods before Sunday, so I'm not going to worry about anything conflicting with my interview at Trader Joe's on Sunday.

nathalie
August 27th, 2014, 08:58 AM
It's always good that you can mention someone who works there, and how great he thinks of his job, and stuff like that (just suck it out of your thumb otherwhise, haha)

Sharifu
August 27th, 2014, 05:27 PM
Well honestly, that is the truth. My room mate loves working there and is happy working there. So that's why I applied there. ;) But I did tell them that, but I will probably mention it again if it comes up during the interview. :p

Sharifu
August 28th, 2014, 06:59 PM
Well good news, I was offered a cashier position at the Whole Foods Market my room mate works at. :)

I did go to both interviews, but at the other Whole Foods, I was honest with the guy and told him I just had an interview at a different Whole Foods and they offered me a position. So instead of having a regular interview with me, we talked about the differences between the two stores, the transportation and parking. And even he seemed to agree with me that the other Whole Foods seemed like it was a better choice for me.

I still think I should go to the Trader Joe's interview on Sunday, but I am already leaning towards the idea of Whole Foods. At my last interview at Trader Joe's, the lady who interviewed me said, "We kind of hold your availability to you for the first six months." Which I thought was kind of weird, I mean in January my school schedule will change... Whole Foods seems a lot more flexible with scheduling. Since I told her that I am not sure if I will be taking a class on Friday or not now because the class is full and I am on a wait list, and she told me it's not a problem, just let her know. Plus, my room mate works at that Whole Foods so at least I know someone who is happy working there. He says the people who work there are great.

I don't know what Trader Joe's will offer me per hour, but I kind of doubt they will offer me more then what Whole Foods is offering. But I guess I'll find that out. I will feel bad if I turn down Whole Foods though since I already accepted the position, but I am pretty sure I will want to stick with Whole Foods.

I feel quite relieved though, that I have a job now either way. :)

nathalie
August 28th, 2014, 07:15 PM
I think if you did get the offer to sign, and it feels good to you, and you already accepted, then why still go to the other place?
(remember, you got a refence there which might not look so good, if you suddenly tell them you wanna go someplace else after you already accepted their offer)

Great news!!

King Simba
August 28th, 2014, 08:25 PM
Great news that you got the job, Audra! :D Glad things are starting to look up. :) I hope you enjoy your new job.

Any idea when you'll be starting?

Leorgathar
August 28th, 2014, 08:27 PM
That's really good to hear, congratulations, Audra! Great news indeed! :D

KanuTGL
August 28th, 2014, 08:28 PM
That's great to hear, Audra! Congrats! :D

ThiagoPE
August 29th, 2014, 02:38 AM
My congratulations audra! I hope you enjoy your work ate this new place.

Sharifu
August 29th, 2014, 03:25 AM
Thank you everyone, I'm sure all your good luck wishes helped me! :D

I think if you did get the offer to sign, and it feels good to you, and you already accepted, then why still go to the other place?
(remember, you got a refence there which might not look so good, if you suddenly tell them you wanna go someplace else after you already accepted their offer)

Yes, I know, I know... I feel a little conflicted about this issue. I have no idea what it will be like to work at Trader Joe's or what the people are like there. I've heard good things about Trader Joe's... But at least I personally know someone who is happy at the same Whole Foods Market I was hired at . What would everyone else do? I am kind of curious to see what Trader Joe's would offer me, pay wise. I am curious about everyone elses opinion, if you were in this same situation, who would go to the Trader Joe's interview anyways, just to see if the pay rate would be higher? Although I kind of doubt it, but I wouldn't know until I asked. I guess a higher pay isn't everything... I would rather get paid a little less but be happier at where I work.

Any idea when you'll be starting?

I'm not sure yet, I have to complete and email some forms to complete a background check. Depending on how long the background check takes, I think I was told either this coming Tuesday or next Tuesday.

nathalie
August 29th, 2014, 06:38 AM
I don't think you could have been like 'I need a few days to think about it'. As that would have come across weird because you really need the job, so you could go to the other interview.

But it sounds like you really wanna go to the other interview, but you may not know directly if you would get that job either, jeopardize the one you already accepted, they might want you to start a certain date? So you might not be able to wait that long for the other one's answer?

Sharifu
August 29th, 2014, 07:12 AM
Petteri thinks I should keep the job at Whole Foods, but still go to the Trader Joe's interview just to get more experience being interviewed. I feel like that is a waste of time. Mine and the people at Trader Joe's... :p I see what he is saying, but still... After thinking about it some more, even if I would get paid more at Trader Joe's, I should just stick with Whole Foods, because I know someone who is happy working there, and that is important to me. After my last job at Foods Co, it was horrible, I really need to be happy at where I work. And the pay at Whole Foods is enough for me and Petteri to survive on, (added with his income) so Whole Foods will work, pay wise.

Azerane
August 29th, 2014, 08:58 AM
Woohoo! Congrats Audra, that's so awesome! :D If you're not going to go to the Trader Joe's interview, at least give them a courtesy call to let them know you have another job. Then just in case for whatever freak reason Whole Foods doesn't work out, you can still apply again at Trader Joe's knowing you have a good record there, rather than if you just didn't show up for the interview.

nathalie
August 29th, 2014, 10:25 AM
Hmm yeah, that would be kind of weird I guess, going to the interview anyways for experience. You got the job already, so I'm guessing they liked your interview, hehe.

Agree with Azerane on it too, to call them and be on their good side like that.

Sharifu
August 29th, 2014, 06:24 PM
Of course, I do plan to call Trader Joe's if I decide not to go to the interview. I don't know why I just seem to have a hard time trying to decide if I should go or not.

nathalie
August 29th, 2014, 06:33 PM
I'm not sure what advice I could give you, sounds indeed like you feel a little torn between the 2 of them.
I've never been in a situation like that, so I have no experience with it.

Kirauni
August 29th, 2014, 07:53 PM
That's great news!
I can understand Sadiki's advice. My husband would probably tell me to do the same if I were in that situation. And well, I'd probably go to the interview as well. First, because of the "experience" and second, I guess I'd regret it otherwise. XD
Yes, it could be a "waste of time", but on the other hand you never know. As long as I haven't signed a contract, I'd try to keep my doors open and I see nothing wrong with that. As long as you're honest, that is :)

Guntur
August 29th, 2014, 08:30 PM
I Hope you will figure out which company you want to work Sharifu, I've been there once and it just torn apart about doing sales, and a desk job like 3 years ago, it just a pain to think about it. :(

I just received an update about my Google Street View job, The interview was a little hiccup or. S***, now they done it again, I may or may not start my job on second September because they are having a hard time sorting me out on their schedule. what's the fun part is I need to move to my new house on the same day which is 2nd of September, If they couldn't find me a slot on Tuesday, I'll be happy to help my mom moving to a new house.

Sharifu
August 30th, 2014, 05:37 AM
I think I am just going to stick to Whole Foods and call Trader Joe's tomorrow and told them I accepted a job somewhere else... It probably would of looked better if I did that earlier, but oh well, I just wasn't sure what to do.

Guntur, are you just not sure when you start your job? I hope that is the case and you're not sure if you have the job at all. I know scheduling issues with jobs can be annoying. I had problems like that in previous jobs.

Simbaspirit
September 1st, 2014, 02:28 PM
Audra, congrats! Whole Foods is great to work at. I really wanted to work for them when I lived near one but by the time they offered me a job I was already working somewhere else -.-

Did you know you get a discount on groceries at whole foods? They're one of the only grocery stores to have a staff discount. They're also really really good at making community donations, and they're named one of the best companies in America to work for. Here's a cool list-type article if you want more info :)
http://www.buzzfeed.com/samstryker/whole-foods-wholey-grail?s=mobile

as for me, I've been promoted to manager at the award-winning indie bookstore I work at so I'm really excited about that :) I have full creative control of the store and get to be my own boss.

KanuTGL
September 1st, 2014, 03:24 PM
Wow, that is super cool, SS! :wow: That sounds so fun :D

Guntur
September 1st, 2014, 03:26 PM
Yes Sharifu I'm not sure when is my first day of my job. My Job finder company said they will follow up tomorrow which is my first day job that they planned. Also on the sight note that Tomorrow is also the day me and my mom move to a new home. Yeah there's a lot of "schedule conflict" at the moment.

Good to hear that you're the store manager now SS, It would be neat to be a leader in the store.

Sharifu
September 7th, 2014, 01:22 AM
I start September 9th at Whole Foods! So relived to have a job again. :)

ThiagoPE
September 7th, 2014, 01:47 AM
I hope you like your new job. sucess there!

Sharifu
September 7th, 2014, 10:37 PM
I hope so too, after how I was so unhappy being at my last job. But I am really lucky to know someone who works there and I know that he is honestly happy working there. Most people are not that lucky to know someone who works at their new job and get their honest opinion of working there.

Azerane
September 11th, 2014, 04:41 AM
How's the job at Whole Foods? I know you might have only had one or two shifts, but hopefully it's going well :)

Sharifu
September 11th, 2014, 05:04 AM
It's only been orientation so far, and there is still another day of it. But it seems fine so far. The only thing I feel a little disappointed about is that there is blackout dates to request time off. I can't request any time off on Christmas Eve or the three weeks before it. Although I kind of expected that because this is retail, but still... I was hoping to request some days off to go to Oregon for Christmas, which I could do, but I wish I could start that time off a couple days before Christmas Eve. If I worked on Christmas Eve, by the time I get to Oregon, it would be so late at night, past midnight I'm sure. I wish my mom only lived an hour or two away, not seven. Oh well. Don't get me wrong I am glad to have the job. I guess the black out dates are weird to me, even though I worked in retail before, there was no black out dates to request time off. Oh well, that's life. Can't have everything you want.

But this has nothing to do with the actual job. It seems fine so far. Hopefully I'll like working on the register there.

ThiagoPE
September 11th, 2014, 11:46 PM
Theres is no chance for them come to your home spend christmas with you?

Sharifu
September 13th, 2014, 06:49 PM
They could, but, it's harder for them to come here. We are renting a bedroom in a house. There is two other room mates. There would be no extra bedroom for my mom, sister and nephew. They could sleep on the couch and an air mattress on the floor of the living room, but I can't imagine they would want to do that for very long. Plus it's hard on my mom to travel and be away from home too long since she is sick. Plus I don't think my room mate even has Christmas ornaments to decorate a Christmas tree... (I could be wrong though, I haven't asked him yet) We could always buy some I suppose, but my mom has so many.

But I decided to try to request off the week after Thanksgiving, I can go there, visit my mom and Bella (our dog), and set up the Christmas Tree then. Then when I come back up on Christmas Eve, all the decorations will be done and everything. We'll see... If we don't get that time off. Well I guess we'll just have to make it work here, or delay Christmas and celebrate it on a different day.

Azerane
September 13th, 2014, 11:33 PM
It's not uncommon for there to be blackout holiday dates. It's partly because it's the retail busy season, and also partly because it would be unfair to allow some people to have holidays over Christmas, and others not. It's the same at my work, although I was lucky with going overseas, I guess because I was always gone for such a long time they didn't have much of an option.

Hopefully you can figure something out. If not, you can still have Christmas celebrations a little bit before or after. Glad to hear that the job is going well so far.

Guntur
September 14th, 2014, 10:58 AM
Well there's one bad news for me. The company that I worked has terminated me from working not for the personal reason, but over dispute between The company and the government and they said they couldn't help me on this one so they let me go sadly. And I will not discuss what the issues are because it's under confidential agreement that I signed during the interview which is very strict and tight.

ThiagoPE
September 14th, 2014, 12:40 PM
@Audra: I hope you can manage a way to spend christmas together. job is importante but Family are too.

@Fendi: :( I know how bad is for employers those disputes with govern. i just hope you manage to get a new job soon.

HasiraKali
December 23rd, 2014, 11:37 PM
I'm bumping this thread because I want to. :p

I found out last week that I was nominated for Teacher of the Year at my new school. They only nominate 8 teachers a year, and my name made the cut. That means it was put in several times. I didn't win (didn't expect to anyway), but it made me feel really good to be nominated, especially in my first year there. In my four years at the old school I never got ANY kind of recognition, despite having my kids ranking consistently in the top 3 for benchmark scores last year and the top 5 the year before. I never received any kind of praise or even just a "good job" from the principal. I sent a picture of the ballot to the librarian there and she said she's going to show it to her to show her just what she lost. I don't know, it made me feel good to finally get some kind of recognition for what I'm doing.

Leorgathar
December 24th, 2014, 02:14 AM
That must have felt so great, I'm happy for you, HK, congratulations! :)
I'm glad you're finally getting the recognition you deserve ^^

Azerane
December 24th, 2014, 08:50 AM
That's awesome HK. :D Certainly something to be proud of.

King Simba
December 24th, 2014, 08:55 AM
Congrats HK! And very well deserved. :D

Guntur
December 24th, 2014, 11:03 AM
A very well deserve awards for you HK, And it's a Christmas present too. ;)

Lion King Stu
December 30th, 2014, 12:24 PM
Congratz HK, that's very awesome news :D

Sure I've posted in here already about my job but can't be bothered to trawl back through the other pages to look so appolagies in advance ^^

As a lot of you know I'm in the Royal Navy and was down the Falklands on and off for the last two years when I'm sure I posted in this section last, which was fun and interesting being all the way down in the south atlantic. So after one shattered and crushed finger (which thankfully I still have, negative as much feeling) and smoke inhalation from the one fire we had on ship I'm back doing a 'safe' desk job back in the UK for another year working with the marines.

Utora
January 14th, 2015, 06:37 AM
Oh, my, goodness.

:stick:

So, I'll summarize where I'm at with my job as simply as possible. The word, "sh** on" is almost there but not quite ..there.

Back in June of last year, I was making below ok pay on the physical side of security. Rumor spread I, and two others were eligble for promotion to supervisor. I didn't care either way, but was concerned one of the candidates would get because he was not efficient nor someone I could work beneath respectively, and that was felt across the board.

I was then asked if I'd work in the back with systems, totally different aspect of security. I said I didn't want it permanently (due to working nights, not thanks). They said I'd be a fill in for a man who had to go to his base fo PT in the Army, once a month, a Saturday night. I was a flex officer back here. I say back here like I've been back here for a while, hehe.... as in, I went from one night to 7 months within that week. He was deployed and I was his fill in. Hilarious, really...

-_-
I've been on nights (going batshit from isolation) for a while now. First month I basically told them, Look, the pay for the required tasks and the night shift is not going to work, And that day, they upped my pay, rather nicely I might add. Very hush hush because the other guy back here they had for their days I'm working with ..let's say he might be voted off the island and isn't up there where I'm at. Butthe systems team got lucky. How many physical security grunts are going to college for systems and programming? So of course I work well back here. The other guy did physical security all his life and doesn't know the difference between e explorer and google chrome..not his fault but, he shouldn't have taken it either.

:headache:

Well, I adjusted to that nice pay. I've battled my depression and anxiety on nights, got over that. Meanwhile out there, the waft of supervisor position was getting to one guys head and it was a nightmare out there. So I started to like my island back here on nights away from them and in with systems guys on the bvigger company side. Then everything was cancelled on the new year. We didn't win the bidding on those other accounts, so our chief was staying and no promotions. :lol: Awkward for that dude, who had been walking around saying. When I'm boss! and calling us "His people."..like whoa, don't even go there..I've been here twice his time and on top of that, the others have been here for years, we aren't anybodies anything.

No word if this army guy was coming home. I reached out sevceral times, warned my chiefs I was going to take spring semester classes certain days so my schedule is kind of decided.
Now, the guys back here in systems want to keep me. Ideally, when the guy returns, they want me to replace the other not-so-good-grunt on days back here.

I'm standing in the middle of all this, paws up and without words. Operations up front wants me back desperatly, and systems back here wants me to say, pretty bad.
But these people are not my direct employer. I'm contracted security. & my boss for security told me yesterday -

I'm going back to physical / operations starting February 9th, on days (finally! right?) - I will lose 4 hours a week (36 instead of 40), and lose basically 550$ a month in paycut. Mind you they are telling me this in the open, around other officers and then the chief asks "What I think you were making $x.xx out here before right?" ..I just said, I don't know. and then they asked, This is good news right? Really? You don't want to know what kind of news this is..

http://media.giphy.com/media/hQGxgWK1rO1ag/giphy.gif

We're having this discussion right now? In public? This is why stuff sucks already - poor management. & I wasn't asked anything EARLIER in regards to 'does this fit your schedule?' or 'Hey would you like to lose 500$ a month?'. So I'm irritated. As soon as I got to my car I calculated my earnings...

There goes my trip to Cancun, because I gotta have a savings.
Sure I can afford to -survive- on that income but that's just a steep drop for someone who lived on that for over half a year.

Tonight, the chief in systems back here asked if the other guy was returning. I'm sitting there thinking, Why isn't MY boss talking to THIS boss about the changes in staffing?..it is so, unprofessional..if my eyes could roll to the back of my head any farther I'd black out for a week.
Well I told him, and he starred at me with the same thoughts I'm sure. They really want me back here.

But here's the kicker - I can't, because the other guys post hours would not work with my classes.
So, Monday through Wednesday, 0600 to 1800 in Operations it is.

Thanks.

My overall plan is to finish up college QUICKLY. Starting either Summer or Fall semester I'll be on grants and I'm using that money to get way ahead, savings, pay off stuff and then I'm getting out.

My advice - steer the eff clear fo small business' in the aspect of long term stability....unless you like to bend over and spread your cheeks for a nice ride.

nathalie
January 24th, 2015, 09:06 PM
What a strange and compliated situation at your job Utora o_O

My contract might get renewed for the 2nd time.
It ends February 23rd, but it's extremely busy right now, has been since November. I'm the only full-timer working right now (and even I've been out for about 5-6 weeks due to my US-trip and being sick after it).

But yesterday I got an e-mail that went to all new employees from the past year, that on March 18th we have to be at the head office for some lectures.
So either it's getting renewed, or that e-mail will be awefully painfull, haha!

I don't know ... I'm doing a bit better now then a while ago, when I didn't really want to get a new contract.
But on the other hand, for what I need to do, it pays very well ... I'm just not in the mood again for a new evaluation and hearing what personal stuff is wrong with me (like being anti-social apperently).

Just have to wait and see I guess. Normally I should know about a week before my contract ends.
I don't feel I should mention the e-mail to my supervisor (who was in CC in that mail).

nathalie
July 10th, 2015, 08:06 AM
Well, that previous job I had ended somewhat painfully (lies, gosspis, bla bla, and I wasn't going to stand for it anymore, so it was a principal thing).

My last day was February 24th.

Somewhere beginning of June I had an interview at a psychiatric center for a part-time job (I was specifically looking for a part-time job).
I didn't get it there, but they e-mailed me, asking if they could forward my ressume and info to another center they work with.
They did, and a few days later I get called for an interview there, which was June 26th.
June 30th I get a call, asking if I have plans Monday July 13th. No? That's good ... you got the job then!

So yeah, starting this Monday, part-time job, every Thursday off (Monday & Friday 6 hours, Tuesday & Wednesday 4 hours), doing administration & billing.

Very exhited, and extremely scared, as I have only done the billing thing during my internships over 10 years ago.
But people say, even if you have done it before, they all use different PC systems, so they need to teach you how to use them anyways.

Utora
July 25th, 2015, 09:51 PM
Congratulations Natalie! You will do just fine I'm sure of it. :cheese:
We call it baptism by fire here, you just get thrown into new systems and learn best by doing. Considering systems and PC stuff can change overnight..everyone is always learning anyways lol. I wish you the best of luck! (for your nerves too, I hate the new starter anxiety)

ThiagoPE
July 26th, 2015, 02:23 PM
Good luck nathalie in your job, i hope the best for you there, hope you make a lot of friends there.

In my job this week, there were the birthday of the oldest worker of there. She made 86 years of age, and unbleavable 67 years working at the company! She is also very lucid and curretily carry one of the most importante parts of the company: the financial departamento. sure she is na example for all of us.

https://scontent-gru1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/v/t1.0-9/11745587_1056712511007179_966993630587739674_n.jpg ?oh=eba2f6730a40e9337755f6812ad66c1b&oe=5641D57E
Me and her.

nathalie
July 26th, 2015, 03:27 PM
Wauw, 86?
They bumped up the work age just a few days ago here. You can't retire if you are not 67 years old.
That basically means my dad will die working. He's already not that fit anymore ever since his heart attack.
And some people just aren't as energetic at a certain age then others.

I'm not sure about my job.
People are very nice.
But the things I have to do.
They tell me what n do, I do it, that's it. At the end of the day I don't really know what I did :/
Its not appealing to me (yet).

Only been 2 weeks, so it may all change, I don't know.

Guntur
July 26th, 2015, 03:52 PM
My late step grandfather retired 5 years before he passed away, What's weird that it was a government owned film classification, he could retire around age of 55 but I don't why he wanted to resume until the age of 78? I guess that's one of the mysteries that he take until the end of his life.

For folks who wondering I'm self employed as a Producer and drummer, I spent quite a money just to help me and my bandmates to self produce, I only present during recording as technically I'm the "mixing" guy. No, I don't participate on writing but I know how to mix and record on the DAW.

nathalie
July 26th, 2015, 05:19 PM
You can get an early retirement, but there are so many rules to even get that if you are "just a factory worker".
I believe it's somewhere between 55 and 60 years old.
My dad didn't qualified for it -_-

Utora
July 27th, 2015, 12:56 AM
That is amazing Thiago! You really have to hand it to those individuals who stay with a company so long and maintain a high work ethic and great personality.
I may never be one. :lol:

As for retirement - invest. Well, over here anyways. I like to invest in mutual funds, low-risk stock..sometimes play with the high-risk. Put it all away. We do the 401K here savings plan, good to start early.
I do not see myself staying with a company getting their retirement. I mean, not now anyways, and those who do that I imagine have to be with a good company to sustain themselves, etc.

..... when i retire, I want a sail-boat with a motor, but to primarily sail the seas around the world. Need money, lol.

Kirauni
September 7th, 2015, 04:42 PM
Do you live in the States, Utora? Just wondering what you mean with "over here" ;)

Now that my daughter is two years old, I've started to work again. Well, not really. the first week is full of meetings and preparations, but next week we'll finally get started at our school. I'm really excited and I hope I can deal with the new situation. Having a small child, my husband living and working abroad... (at least until the weekends).
It's not that easy, but I'm glad my mother has moved to our town so she'll be able to help out. :)

nathalie
September 7th, 2015, 06:09 PM
You've been at home for the past 2 years?
Maternaty leave in Belgium is only 3 months, hehe.
You can choose to not take it after the baby is born though, and postpone the 3 months, but only till the baby reaches a certain age.

Kirauni
September 7th, 2015, 08:41 PM
It's rather similiar here in Germany, too.
Mothers can stay at home for 8 weeks after the child's birth. However, with Kiana things were a little bit different. I could stay at home for 12 weeks, because she needed some extra care since she was decared "small for gestational age". That's because she only weighted about 2300 grams when she was born. She was such a small little doll ;)

After 12 weeks, I decided to take a "parental leave" from my job. I think that's how it's called. It follows the "maternaty leave" and so I was able to stay at home for up to 3 years which is really great. But I only chose 2 years, because of financial reasons as I didn't get my salary during that time. Isn't that obvious XD
Thus my husband had to provide for the three of us. Meanwhile he got a new job abroad, but back then things were really difficult. But with no relatives around and a small child at home, it was the only option I had and I'm glad I could spend so much time with Kiana. And I did get some "supporting money" for about 10 months so that we were able to pay all the bills from the hospital and such. Actually, this is quite confusing and it wasn't much compared to a regular salary.
But together with our savings we somehow got around. So yeah.. now that she's 2 years old and can go to the "kindergarten", I'm back at work.

I'm glad because I've really missed it! Of course caring for your child is nice and all, but there are so many times you just get a cabin feever. And it's also great that I could go back to my old school. That's also something I don't take for granted. it was possible, because because many people come and go at my school and normally, people don't want to go there voluntarily. It's quite a "rough" place and we have a lot of problems to deal with but hey... it's home! ;)

ThiagoPE
September 7th, 2015, 10:09 PM
Here in Brazil, mothers can stay home for 6 months, starting one month before the baby is born (in cases of 9 months pregnancy, If baby born before 9 months, the mother can spent the 6 months after the baby is born. Often they combine with the usual vacations, meaning they can stay up to 7 months absent from work receiving full wage in that period.

Dad's only have 5 days off :( .

nathalie
September 8th, 2015, 04:07 AM
3 days for the dad here. But I believe not so long ago it was changed to 5, not sure, but did change from those 3 days.

s-tlk
September 8th, 2015, 09:59 AM
I'm glad because I've really missed it! Of course caring for your child is nice and all, but there are so many times you just get a cabin feever. And it's also great that I could go back to my old school. That's also something I don't take for granted. it was possible, because because many people come and go at my school and normally, people don't want to go there voluntarily. It's quite a "rough" place and we have a lot of problems to deal with but hey... it's home! ;)
Yeah, who doesn't like a good shootout in the morning with kids you see later in class. xD
But my deepest respect for still going there, although I think this is a complete waste of your teaching talents.

Now that I'm finished with my Phd, I think it is time to move on and do something different. I recently got a well-paid offer for a job in London. Okay, the "well-paid" is relative, when you want to live in London and the job description doesn't really suits me. I'm not that kind of person who can socialize very good with customers (plus I don't like it much) and probably I need to cut my mane for this. Ughh
I still have some other applications running and in the meantime I stick to my old job, which is quite okay, but I fear when I don't try to change the field in the next couple of years, I probably never will. To see and learn something different at least for a few years is a good experience.

Guntur
September 8th, 2015, 03:34 PM
My brother and my in laws (male) could only get a week off for the husband, My sister did get a 3 months off because like my mother he refused to stay home being idle (Other than taking care of the baby). Both of my mother and my sister have a schedule ethic (principle) so they don't want to waste their life living in idle.

My mom hates the fact that she's retired now, I mean she is glad that she got to rest but something didn't hit her very well.

s-tlk
September 8th, 2015, 04:05 PM
I don't think you are idle when you have baby. At least you got your paws full with all the little brats I know from family and friends. ;-)

Interesting, that many people work towards retirement, but when they finally reach the age, they don't want anymore. I hope I will never be like that.

Utora
September 19th, 2015, 04:22 AM
I work 40+ hours a week with 13 credit hours of school on top of that.
Monday, I work from 0600-1400 and have class from 1600-2200. I return to work Tuesday from 0600-1400, have class from 1800-2100, and work then on Wednesday from 0600-1400 with class at 1400-1800. Thursday and Friday I work 0600-1400. Weekends I am off, doing work for school anyways.

OK.

I am contracted security. I started on the physical security side, your typical sit a gate, drive in an SUV, deal with terminations and escorts, etc. I did that for less than a year (6 months about). At that time I was the leading officer for a promotion to co-supervisor. The second runner up was the default, this guy Charles who is in my opinion a flake. I have this problem with writing anyone off in the work place who is not competent. This guy admits he doesn't care and does not want stress. Wants a leadership role ....

:cs_confused:

The company we are contracted to, it's a HUGE credit card company. This site is alllll information systems, the data centers, staff that operates it..where the decisions to rule all decision get made. One of the Headquarters for North America offices. So the scope is HUGE. They have a department in the heart of the building that is an operations and risk analysis center. They monitor all 200+ global accounts, badge systems, CCTV, alarms, staff, high risk travelers (to high risks areas or our offices in high risks zones), monitor data restricted travel, get intelligence reports etc. It can appear isolated in there, but there's a reason...a lot of information in one place. They started phasing contracted security in to do systems related work; badge and alarm monitoring, CCTV work, helpdesk support, phones, etc. The actual employees are free to do analyst stuff now.

They pulled me day one because I was recommended by chiefs of security. So I opted out of the leadership role (it is a dead end, in my opinion). Charles said he'd be a backup in the operations center, but wanted physical security. The work is very easy in there when you figure it out. Good money and my entire approach was "Golden door of opportunities bite your lip and give them hell!"...you get in there, the world opens up for you in other departments. We've had hire turnover because contracted security is apparently not bright people.

:headache:

The biggest issue has been laziness, officers just don't action things.
I've been there for over a year and was interviewed for a few spots but lack credentials...also am not very interested but interviewed for good merit. Someone asks you to interview and you decline, they remember that well enough. It's a fine line to walk in corporate life.

Well......we need 6 bodies in there, 4 on full and 2 backups. We have 2. 2 bodies. Me, and another guy who is outta the military. Our backup is Charles.

TUESDAY, I'm sitting there at 9am and the boss for physical security says we have a problem. Charles called off. Our alternative is Josh, that new guy...but I feel protective of him because he is competent, does well and a fast learned but already we are tapping into him for this BS thats ridiculous. Charles flakes off work a lot, and he's a co supervisor...let that sink in. I said I'd do it and had to take my one free excused absence from English 102. I suggested to have Charles rotate and he works my Wednesday morning; we both get our 40 hours for the week and no overtime is billed to the account. That boss starts calling Josh. Freaking stupid, she does not listen to me. Josh calls me in frustration wanting to help but he'd need a babysitter, his wife would have to change times, etc I told him to disregard it, I can work it - it was between me and Charles.

I worked 16 hours straight with a less than 8 hour turnaround and then another 8 hour shift then school...because Charles wanted off on his Friday and we all have a guy at work that does this crap.

Come to find out, he called Josh in on a holiday here so he could get off 4 hours early for a BBQ, and told Josh that. Josh being green and seeing his co supervisor call, he does it..and works a 16. I told Josh don't ever do that again. He is not required to do this, and I do not want him stretched thin.

Wednesday, my boss knocks on the office door. Her boss comes in, and his boss comes in; the heat.

:simbaconfused2: is someone termed? are we all getting the ax? our company never takes care of is, when they show up it means they want something or are telling you to go somewhere.

They gave me a big raise. They told me that that department is going to become its own separate contract and they need an account manager, and if I would take the job. & that position pays very much.

:simbahappy2:

My concern is I'm not cut out for it. I think I am a good adviser, and i am confident enough...too confident. Having a leader over me to say "Stop being the hammer." is what works. I am hoping I am tactful enough to handle those beneath me. I can tell anyone to do their job, or fire a person..but to nurture them to become leaders also? I'm a bit too stone cold to do it delicately.....if they are sensitive...it'll be troublesome. Maybe this is a chance to grow. I am both excited and also cautious; a lot on my plate.
The most relieving part was that they told me everyone I had trained, inside and outside the department, has stayed and can do their job proficiently. I'm glad my format isn't too callous.

:lol:

So it is GOOD NEWS in my job for ONCE. The job is still stressful with these new systems, but I am solving things these days, getting my department recognition anonymously by being ahead of the game because I know what I am doing. I like that freedom - to organize things and make them work the right way, and get the most efficient result. To go from an operator to have 6+ people beneath me is exciting, but also an uncharted path.

I had to report Charles to the operations leader. I usually would not report people because I'm not one of those people. I'll tell you personally or let you get yourself terminated...unless it's something like theft thats detrimental to us as a whole. The leader in there is pretty high up....he's been telling me to monitor things for him and report back when he is unavailable, so I did it. I realized then, that he's known about this contract to be and has been getting me to take leadership, which was already happening...I've been managing these people without realizing it.

It may be easy to think I hate people at work, but in terms of work I see it very logically. If you are unwilling to learn and do the best you possibly can, you do not get my respect. If you are going to take the low road and lay around for your pay, you not deserve promotions and/or recognition....you don't deserve money in my opinion. You committed to a negotiated terms of service when talking a job. If you have an issue, find a job elsewhere. I'm sure many of these people, even Charles, are good hearted people...but a good heart does not keep a company alive alone. It takes a balance of that and hard work..and it's a lack of hard work that has caused recent issues to collapse down onto me and others..HUGE things. So now as soon as I see these officers try to work back here I chase them off. I am not the mindset of "Take whoever we can to fill a slot." I'd rather have to do the overtime and do it RIGHT, than put a body there that will get someone killed or breach our security inadvertently.

Who I am at work and who I am at home are like night and day. there is a time for the heart and a time for the hard labor and reason.

Guntur
October 9th, 2015, 04:48 AM
Hey guys, I got an update, I'm going to be part of a big gaming festival on the mid northern part of the country and I'm the music performer there, Covering one anime song and original song there. I managed to find my old colleague from the broadcasting college and I think my realization to make a first big video game program going to happen. I can't wait for both to happen, as a performer and a artists or editor for the gaming news show.

:D

Kirauni
October 9th, 2015, 06:35 AM
Wow! That's awesome, Fendi! I really hope things will turn out great for you. Let us know how things went :D

Leorgathar
November 3rd, 2015, 07:57 PM
Well well, I got a new job offer a few days ago. I'd be working in a specialized clinic for dental prosthetics, and it's in a city called Queretaro, about 200km away from Mexico City.
It's not exactly the place I wanted to go to, but it still seems very promising, and it looks pretty gorgeous! The University there also has the specialty I want to study, so I might as well do my masters there, if possible.

This might just be the kind of new beginning I need :) I think I'll take it.
Another plus is, I'll be able to easily go to Mexico City and see TLKoB, woohoo! :D

Sharifu
November 3rd, 2015, 08:30 PM
Ooh, that's exciting news Leor! I feel like I want a new beginning too. :p Good luck with everything and congratulations!

Safila
November 3rd, 2015, 09:54 PM
New beginnings sound great, new people to meet and places to explore :cheese:

Guntur
November 4th, 2015, 06:27 AM
Congratulations Leor, We're all proud of you man. :cheese:

ThiagoPE
November 5th, 2015, 12:06 PM
Nice to know that Emilio, I wish you all luck in your new challenges there.

Guntur
November 5th, 2015, 02:32 PM
Wow! That's awesome, Fendi! I really hope things will turn out great for you. Let us know how things went :D

I'm not looking forward for the event to be honest, I have been delayed couple of times. :lol:

Actually I'm looking forward for record more music for the band, I was at the studio and they treat the band equally and full of ideas. I'm looking forward for next session than anything. :cheese: :wow:

Kasei
November 10th, 2015, 04:47 AM
Congrats on the new job Leo! Hope it's going well.

I also recently made a career switch...guess that new beginning vibe is floating around, neh? ;)

I resigned from teaching this summer and moved 800 miles from home to basically take a year long sabbatical to work on my art. After 5 years of trying to make it work I decided I just had to go all in for illustration instead of trying to find time for it in my crazy packed schedule. I figure if I fall flat on my face at least I can always go back to teaching or use the education degree to get into some other line of work since education is one of those ubiquitous type careers.

So...I guess technically my new job is that I'm unemployed right now? xD Or rather, self-employed. But hopeful! I actually made some cool animation/illustration industry connections before I left Texas that I will be keeping in touch with as I improve. Hopefully they can help me get to where I'd like to be.

Guntur
January 17th, 2016, 10:24 PM
Just wanted to say that me and my band performed in Northern Malaysia on New Year's week, sadly it didn't get paid because there's absolutely zero crowd except for other bandmembers and photographers. So there's no absolutely paycheck sadly.

nathalie
February 14th, 2016, 10:14 AM
2 weeks ago, I had an evaluation from my current job, amazing! I'm super social, I'm super nice according to my boss, I make an effort to fit in, the team-building day she was amazed on how well I did (even with the panic disorder, being dumped in a clue-room with no way out).
All extremely positive things.

Where with my previous job, nothing but lies and negative comments about me, and me being anti-social and bla bla.

My boss now keeps saying the person I'm replacing is not going to come back, neither is the other person (1 has MS, the other healing from cancer). So that's 2 people they lost, so hopefully I get to stay there for a longer time (now, I'm only guaranteed untill the end of the year).

Kasei
February 15th, 2016, 05:51 PM
That's really great Nath, congrats! :D It's always nice when someone recognizes your efforts.

nathalie
February 15th, 2016, 06:41 PM
Yeah, I was almost gonna cry, haha!
'Cause my previous job was that bad. The job wasn't bad, the people were! I'm in a very different envirement right now, so people are very different there in opinions and such, I just fit in more.

My boss also told me she recognizes a lot of her in me, and I kind of feel the same way about her, hehe.

Azerane
February 19th, 2016, 11:25 PM
That's so awesome Nathalie, very glad to hear it :)

Guntur
May 6th, 2016, 08:23 AM
Hey, just want let you guys know that I'm working with Uber car now, This is typically my type of job to be honest, working way before the sun rise and go back home after noon around 2 or 3pm. Hopefully this paycheck is even better for building my new PC.

nathalie
May 6th, 2016, 01:03 PM
Uber? The cab company?

ThiagoPE
May 7th, 2016, 08:12 PM
That's Nice zack, I just hope there is no fight with the taxis drivers, as here there is a lot of violence of the taxi drivers against uber drivers. They don't want the competition...

I still work on the same job, but I received an upgrade and no longer work directly with the public (which was a real gift for me, I was becoming stressed of so much stressed people in front of me)

Right now I'm producing smartcards which our clients will use to access the on-line system. As that card has it's signature and photo, I do the upload of those, adjust, then print the card itself

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160507/4fffc8f5210cf9fcd77e7afaac13ff91.jpg

Well, is not the best job in the world but is better than many others :)

Enviado de meu LG-D337 usando Tapatalk

nathalie
June 2nd, 2016, 04:38 PM
Sooooo ... End of this month I should be able to know if get to stay for a bit longer at my job.
It's merging with another company. I also got the e-mail where I need to pick what I'd like to do after the merge.
I feel it's really unsensitive of them to ask me what my choices are, if they don't wanna take me along after the merge :/

And as much as I hated my old boss, that much I'm loving my new boss, haha, she's amazing.
My supervisor not so much, but I've managed to put her into place every single time (in a polite way off course, hehe).
Keep saying I did stuff wrong, while I didn't, but I can clean up the mess, how is that making the one who made the mess learn from it?

A Balanced Breakfast
June 3rd, 2016, 11:38 PM
Considering I'm 17, I've only had two jobs. One was a lifeguard at a pool, and currently I'm a lifeguard at a resort water park. The first one paid minimum wage and the second one gets me eight bucks an hour. As for difficulty, the water park job is incredibly taxing and usually leaves you drenched in chlorine and your own sweat. But, money heals all pain I suppose.

As for a career, I'm looking at commissioning into the Air Force and either flying, working in the Office of Special Investigations, or fighting as a TACP special forces operator.

Guntur
June 4th, 2016, 05:13 AM
Nice, what a great choice for your future. I know few of the members I know here are working with the army. Working with the Special Forces sounds promising. :cheese:

A Balanced Breakfast
June 4th, 2016, 03:54 PM
Nice, what a great choice for your future. I know few of the members I know here are working with the army. Working with the Special Forces sounds promising. :cheese:

Thanks, Guntur! Ever since I started doing things as a cadet, the military, and the Air Force specifically, has absolutely drawn me to it. I want to do important, exciting, perhaps a bit dangerous, and meaningful work that has me traveling around the world and doesn't leave me at a desk. TACP is a really interesting career field, too. They're the Air Force guys who fight on the ground with Army Rangers and call in close air support. Really high speed group of people, they are.

HasiraKali
June 4th, 2016, 10:03 PM
I am currently a science teacher on summer break. :timonrelax:

A Balanced Breakfast
June 4th, 2016, 10:17 PM
I am currently a science teacher on summer break. :timonrelax:

Sounds like an awesome perk of being a teacher. Speaking of which, thanks! Teachers are very important. I personally think my science teacher last year was one of the best teacher's I've had.

HasiraKali
June 4th, 2016, 11:03 PM
It is nice, yes. But I don't really have summers off. I've already earned my paychecks for the two months I'm off, but the state holds it back so they can pay me then. I also have trainings starting next month (boo).

You're welcome. :) Science teachers are a special kind of crazy. :evilgrin:

Zomok
July 14th, 2016, 12:42 AM
I am a supervisor at a factory conducting many different forms of heat treatment, my own department specialises in Plasma Nitriding and that's all I'm allowed to say about that. I Have been here for a number of years now and I'm currently under going training internal and external to become the next Quality Manager.

Before that I spent a few months working at a Jaguar Land Rover site working on the production line. Reason for leaving - got a better offer.

Before that I worked I a warehouse painting furniture for events. Reason for leaving - it was bad for the environment.

Before that I sold sandwiches on a wagon - awesome in the summer. Reason for leaving - it got awkward.

Before that I worked I a garage painting cars and doing body work. Reason for leaving - argument with my boss.

Before that another garage doing the same. Reason for leaving - it shut down.

In have never not worked since leaving education.

Nalas
July 26th, 2016, 07:01 AM
I got a new job today! ^____^ Hostess at Benihana (Japanese restaurant). I'm currently working at Walmart (Sales Associate); have been for 4 years.... Gonna give my two weeks notice on Thursday.

Utora
July 29th, 2016, 05:18 AM
Congrats Nalas! I've never heard of that place before but I looked it up online; I realize i have heard of it. :lol: It looks like a great place to work! :)

I think i last posted about my terrifying workload of a job in September 2015. All the hard work paid off; I was recruited for an Associate Analyst position within Cyber Security for the credit card company! I've been in the role for a month and am their first hybrid (Cyber & Physical operations). It about doubled my income, so I am overly excited naturally. I'm also way ahead of my game too, nothing but great praise.

I can FINALLY SAY IT!

I HAVE A CAREER!

:cs_mane_1:

Nalas
July 29th, 2016, 08:07 AM
Thanks, Utora! I had my orientation on Wednesday, and it went smoothly. I gave my two weeks notice to Walmart yesterday.... I'm excited to fully start my job at Benihana.

And congrats on your career! :D

nathalie
August 25th, 2016, 08:54 AM
I got fired last month. In very strange circumstances.
I'm doing my 2 months notice now, and my last day is September 23rd.
Shame. I really loved my job, not to mention the hours, and Thursdays off.
I didn't like my supervisor though, kept blaming me for stuff I didn't do, and I had to clean up everyone's mess.

The administrator director gave me some reasons.
Then my boss gave me some reasons.

I was great, I was fast, eager to learn, I'm great on the phone, nothing but great and good things. Why fire me? lol
So they hired someone new for the front desk, and moved someone else from front desk to my position. So that's 2 people they need to learn new stuff. Instead of just keeping me, who already knows how to do everything?

But turns out my supervisor didn't really like me. I'm her help, so if she doesn't like me, then that's tough luck for me.
Other collegues have been telling stories about her to me these past 3 weeks, that made my jaw drop!

Also, she was on holidays and back last week Tuesday. It then took her 4 days, to read the e-mail that our boss had send, that I'm leaving.
Strange.
When I casually told her last week Friday "You know I'm leaving at the end of September?" she started looking at her PC screen and says "oh yeah, I'm just seeing the e-mail right now".

1. no, you didn't just see that e-mail, you've been back for 4 days already
2. how on earth could you not know that I got fired? You are my supervisor, I'm your help/assistant, surely you were the first to know

I told this to my other collegues tomorrow, and they broke down in hilarious laughter, telling me she was indeed the first to know I wasn't staying.

Why does this crap always happen to me -_-

I've been nothing but nice to her, but I guess whenever she told me I did something wrong, while it wasn't me, I opened my mouth!
I'm not going to let someone accuse me of doing things wrong, while I didn't! And I made sure the entire office could here.
I didn't want other to think, that I kept doing stuff wrong, while I didn't.

Utora
September 9th, 2016, 11:13 PM
I got fired last month. In very strange circumstances.
I'm doing my 2 months notice now, and my last day is September 23rd.
Shame. I really loved my job, not to mention the hours, and Thursdays off.
I didn't like my supervisor though, kept blaming me for stuff I didn't do, and I had to clean up everyone's mess.

The administrator director gave me some reasons.
Then my boss gave me some reasons.

I was great, I was fast, eager to learn, I'm great on the phone, nothing but great and good things. Why fire me? lol
So they hired someone new for the front desk, and moved someone else from front desk to my position. So that's 2 people they need to learn new stuff. Instead of just keeping me, who already knows how to do everything?

But turns out my supervisor didn't really like me. I'm her help, so if she doesn't like me, then that's tough luck for me.
Other collegues have been telling stories about her to me these past 3 weeks, that made my jaw drop!

Also, she was on holidays and back last week Tuesday. It then took her 4 days, to read the e-mail that our boss had send, that I'm leaving.
Strange.
When I casually told her last week Friday "You know I'm leaving at the end of September?" she started looking at her PC screen and says "oh yeah, I'm just seeing the e-mail right now".

1. no, you didn't just see that e-mail, you've been back for 4 days already
2. how on earth could you not know that I got fired? You are my supervisor, I'm your help/assistant, surely you were the first to know

I told this to my other collegues tomorrow, and they broke down in hilarious laughter, telling me she was indeed the first to know I wasn't staying.

Why does this crap always happen to me -_-

I've been nothing but nice to her, but I guess whenever she told me I did something wrong, while it wasn't me, I opened my mouth!
I'm not going to let someone accuse me of doing things wrong, while I didn't! And I made sure the entire office could here.
I didn't want other to think, that I kept doing stuff wrong, while I didn't.

Owh I'm sorry to hear that Nathalie. :( :hugs:

That sounds like some very sketchy (passive/aggressive) management. Do you get something from the company (payments) since they cut you off or how does it work in Belgium??

nathalie
September 10th, 2016, 05:57 AM
I guess you're interested in knowing now ha ? haha :p
You could just easily ask him, hehe ^^

But yes, there's unemployment "benefits".
But only if they fire you. If you quit, you get nothing.
They keep paying me monthly for as long as I'm there, which is normal/obvious.
If I had decided I didn't want to do my 2 months notice, then they would have payed me those 2 months in 1 time, and I didn't had to work anymore those 2 months.

Once you stop working, you can apply for the unemployment things, and you get a monthly pay, which gets less and less every few months, untill you find a new job.

Utora
September 20th, 2016, 05:36 AM
:lol: Well I'm curious for you primarily.

Kailash
November 24th, 2016, 11:24 AM
Good....You have done Great Job.