PDA

View Full Version : Un-related Things In YOUR Life That Mean TLK

DarkPaw
February 12th, 2006, 04:31 AM
Okay, hope that made sense. What I mean is, what are those odd things that stir a feeling inside of you that just MEANS TLK? I mean, you can't truly explain it, it's just a weird feeling-and no doubt most others haven't the faintest idea how it reminds you of TLK. Example: "It's a dark alley-how does that remind you of TLK?"

Allow me to elaborate on my own. And, please, feel free to ramble if it allows you to help make someone understand. For me, it is sunsets in my neighborhood. It was recently the neighborhood where only my grandma lived. When I was little, maybe five and six, my life revolved around Lion King, Blues Clues, and Pocahontas. So now, whenever we drive around our neighborhood, the colors of the sky in the late afternoon, and the summer's twighlight make me feel all fluttery inside. It doesn't really, but it DOES mean to me Pocahontas skies, and Lion King sunsets. It just can't really be translated 100% (Yes, this whole topic somehow evolved out of the translation boards).

And even the unique smell of the flora in this area makes me think of being a little kid (I never really went to school until I was nine) and rambling around, singing along to TLK, Poco, and Thumbalina (PLEASE don't ask :eww: ).

It is only here in this neighborhood that so moves me to feel this way. That weird, nostalgic feeling. Looping back to the alley-example, suburban alleys at night, when it's raining, for some reason I can't control, trigger the 'Under The Stars' music in my head. Or rather, the essence of that instrumental piece. I have more such examples of this for Pocahontas and Treasure Planet-you can PM me if you wanna discuss other Disney stuff that does that to you if you like-but it embodies dark, rainy alleys, and my grandma's neighborhood.

I dunno' if this is common or I'm just a bit TOO obsessed-if this thread kicks off, I'll continue.:evilgrin:

Vidan
February 12th, 2006, 04:40 AM
Just to clarify, do you mean to ask what sort of things from everyday life remind you or make you think of TLK, and why?

DarkPaw
February 12th, 2006, 04:42 AM
Well, yeah. Things that don't generally make someone non-obsessed say 'OMG TLK!' Haha, but yes, that's what I meant. I got all happy to write that, sorry for confusion! :D

And, Vidan, I didn't understand that sentnce. Did you want to know why I want to know what people's TLK triggers are, or did you mean for people to explain why the everyday thing reminded them of TLK?

To answer the former, I just wanted to see if other people have those same triggers, I suppose. Just how I once asked if other people made sign-language 'E' and then walked around like that on all fours or played with their pets like that....different story.

Sombolia
February 12th, 2006, 05:20 AM
I don't really have those things for TLK, but I can definately see where you're coming from. There are just these certain feelings of nostalgia you get, and it's hard to explain, but.. it happens.

Like for me, it's not directly related to any movie or fandom, but I just get this feeling from being outside anywhere at twilight or night, especially in a more.. suburban setting. It's like this feeling of.. content sadness, or something, I dunno. Or maybe it's a "the world's screwed up but I'm happy anyways" kinda vibe. I dunno. I'm talking crazy. So.

*exit stage right*

[eta] Aha, this post makes even less sense the I normally make. I shouldn't be on the internet past 10:00, clearly.

TakaTiger
February 12th, 2006, 05:28 AM
umm... wha?

Vidan
February 12th, 2006, 05:34 AM
It sounds like you are asking what sort of things in real life remind you or are linked in your mind to TLK, but I could be wrong. I admit I'm having a bit of trouble understanding your post.

Sombolia
February 12th, 2006, 05:57 AM
I think it's really, really hard to understand unless it's actually happened to you, so..

DarkPaw
February 12th, 2006, 06:18 AM
Yes, it's VERY difficult to understand, I absolutely cannot explain it to you. Sombolia hit the hammer's head right away. I know that contented sadness that you're talking about too. You think, "Oh crap, the rainforest's being destroyed, there's AIDS, people are killing each other. And yet, I am so blessed..." That non-fandom related kind of happiness is just as great.

So, yeah. I don't think I will be able to explain it to you, Vidan, unless it just happens to you. In my opinion, because it is so hard to translate into words, and because-especially-because you don't instantly think "Oh yeah, I see!" I believe it is a sort of primal instinct-related gig. Maybe it's linked (that non-fandom contentedness) to our ancestors' "Oh, god, that buffalo didn't impale this time! But he did get my uncle..." You sort of have it, Vidan, but I don't know if you've ever had it happen to you, so it's only more difficult to explain, or at least try to.

The Lion King nostalgia thing, I dunno', might be related to it, but not entirely. I specifically named the title "YOUR life," because if I didn't people might inadvertantly come in here thinking I meant monarchy, family values, moral values, etc. This is more personal. Sort of those weird feelings I get with those rainy, dark alleys that say, "Lion King! Nostalgia Attack!" In bright, neon, flashing lights. I cannot explain it.

Maybe, Sombolia, because we can't explain it, it seems crazy. But since someone else seems to know what I'm talking about, it just appears to be something lost floating in translation. I don't think there are words to form it with. It's very complex!

Jeez. This is getting deeper than I'd thought! Blast it!

Edit: Ahh! Sorry, Vidan-I stayed up till two (along with the fact that I wasn't paying attention), I was sleep-deprived, forgive me!

Nephilim
February 12th, 2006, 09:45 AM
Haha, put down the fandom and step away from the internet...

unregistered user
February 12th, 2006, 10:07 AM
Who's Vida?! Are you female now, Vidan? :lol: :p

I hear, PSYCHOBABBLE!!! :D

Roku
February 12th, 2006, 01:39 PM
I always hear TLK music in my head whenever I am outdoors, in the woods. The music really reflects nature and beauty.
A lot of times things, be it music or movies, that have always been a big part of my life stir feelings that mean a lot to me.

nathalie
February 12th, 2006, 01:42 PM
I understand you post ^_^ hehe

But I don't think it has really happened to me.
Or at least, not that I can remember.

Dare
February 12th, 2006, 02:21 PM
Um...I get the Stampede music in my head when I'm fighting my way through crowds at the mall during the holiday season. Does that count?
:confused:

imported_Rafiki
February 12th, 2006, 10:04 PM
I feel something like that when the wind is blowing on a sunny day! "He lives in you" always comes to my mind when that happens...

Bahati
February 12th, 2006, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Rafiki
I feel something like that when the wind is blowing on a sunny day! "He lives in you" always comes to my mind when that happens...
Same thing happens to me. Always conjures up a sense of being part of something larger. Love the feeling.

There's been some really gorgeous sunsets around here recently. Vibrant shades of reds, oranges, and yellows, piercing the clouds. Reminds me of TLK immediately.

HasiraKali
February 12th, 2006, 11:57 PM
This happens to me all the time. :lol: My list is huge but it's mostly smells or memories that mean something totally different to my friends. A few examples:
I have these markers that smell like my old TLK set (which stopped working ages ago). So naturally, I think of my TLK markers and then think of TLK. Oh and one of the DisneyStores here hasn't been renovated yet, so it reminds me of how the stores looked back when I first became obsessed. :lol: I have more.

Shatara
February 13th, 2006, 01:21 AM
Last mile of the 'Bayonet' 25mi road march. Uphill. Cheerind d00ds. Plodding, deliberate step. 'King of Pride Rock'. Nuff said.

DarkPaw
February 13th, 2006, 05:09 AM
Okay, I admit I'm overly-obsessed, but this isn't about the internet *pouts like a four-year-old.* Yeah, those of you that posted also know what I'm talking about. I shall re-interate, I was sleep-deprived when I wrote that, so yes, it didn't make sense. To those of you who simply DON'T get it, I can't help you. It's a weird thing that you MUST have had happen to you if you're to understand. Haha, Shatara, yours is funny. And malls-oh yeah, that counts! HasiraKali, I think you've also got it really well-tell me more!

Krypto
February 13th, 2006, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by DarkPaw
So now, whenever we drive around our neighborhood, the colors of the sky in the late afternoon, and the summer's twighlight make me feel all fluttery inside.

I used to feel that same way, back when the Lion King stuff started for me. When I was driving under the sunset, I'd be thinking about the Lion King. And I used to have a different sort of repertoir with the sky: Every night, I would wink at the northstar. It was my little, quiet thing that connected me to the sky that anybody else neither knew about nor did. And it wasn't simply that I liked the night sky-it definitely had it's roots in "under the stars."

And on this topic, I did an assignment for a class just last week which had me reading childrens books. It just brings so much back to me and lets me feel, strangely enough, as if none of this has ever happened-that the world hasn't been corrupting me for as long as it has. :lol: I mean, with no struggle, I'm able to free myself of all of this garbage. And I believe that to be a positive thing. I don't think it is immature. The meaning of immature is "not fully developed." Who's to say where the finish line is? Who's to say when one is truly mature? I know a lot of adults whom I wouldn't consider mature! :lol: I mean, maybe kids aren't little adults. Perhaps adults are twisted kids. Perhaps kids are the pinnacle and then everything just deteriorates into a trashy existence throughout which we seek things that should not be sought after. I don't know. Anybody see any light in this?

I don't think having those types of feelings, the ones that make you think of aspects of your childhood is weird at all! :D

Fire_Hazard
February 13th, 2006, 11:44 PM
When I'm praying to myself at night, my mind (most of the time), thinks of "He Lives in You." It's an awesome feeling :D

When I'm also with my mate, CYFTLT and LWFAW comes to mind and that makes spending time with her much more enjoyable than it already is. :D

Azerane
February 18th, 2006, 03:43 PM
Hmmm yes, I've had things like this before. Mainly it's when I see a sunset, and I think of an african sunset, or the sunrise on tlk, the red glow in the sky, that sort of thing, natures wonder.

Then also, there's one particular type of Eucalytpus tree that has a very similar shape to the acacia trees of africa, and there's one road in particular that has a lot of them, and so every time Im going down that road, I think of africa and being out there, on the savannah.

Kintaru
February 18th, 2006, 10:53 PM
I can relate to that, whenever I see a sunrise like that I almost instantly relate it to TLk, whether it's in a movie or RL. There's also a long road near my house that has lines of trees on both sides of it that hang over the road. It always makes me think of africa.

Kiara
February 18th, 2006, 11:31 PM
I'm like hyper-extremely-overobsessed with TLK so I can say TLK comes to my mind for nothing ... I usually have nothing to think about, so I think about TLK whether I want it or not. Not that I think about the movie and lines all the time, but also Lea members and things we've been talking about here, RPs and chatts ... But most of the time if I don't think about TLK, I start think of it if I maybe see some animal or hear something that sounds like TLK or I don't know ... It's hard to say, 'cause the latest time it has been TLK 24/7 for me xX I'm trying to be free from it tho ... But I'd say I most think about Lea things, not TLK "itself" as movies. It was a very long time ago I saw them btw, I think I have to watch them sometime soon ... ^^

And then speaking of movies, as soon as I hear a voiceactor in another movie I go all crazy and exclaims "It's a TLK guy!" or whatever ... Or when, like a sunrise or something, shows up somehwere ... or some scene on TV or reality and all ... I think that's the mayor connection

Talli
February 20th, 2006, 07:30 AM
Well the only time I really think about TLK stuff is oo will I see some rare thing that they are selling that's TLK related? like Stuffed lion or something? I see them a lot so it's hard to get TLK off of my mind sometimes.

Kiara
February 20th, 2006, 08:51 AM
I saw a movie yesterday where three guys were laying in the grass and looked up at the stars like they're doing in TLK1 ... Then I thought about TLK again x) (some movie with three guys on a college who started some bookmaker thing, maybe you've seen it ...)

Krypto
February 20th, 2006, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Kiara
I saw a movie yesterday where three guys were laying in the grass and looked up at the stars like they're doing in TLK1 ... Then I thought about TLK again x) (some movie with three guys on a college who started some bookmaker thing, maybe you've seen it ...)

What's the title of the movie? :confused:

Aurelian
March 24th, 2006, 04:17 AM
Did I mention that I live on Elton Street?:evilgrin:

http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/1914/home6pq.jpg

lionloversam
March 24th, 2006, 04:18 AM
Even though I am twenty now, whenever I go off for a walk without telling my parents I think about simba wandering off to the outlands... I mean elphant graveyard. It is getting late.

HasiraKali
March 24th, 2006, 04:30 AM
I've mentioned this before, but there's a street in my city called "Lion King". And what's even better is it's right across the street from work. That neighborhood is mostly older people so I've been watching it in case a house goes up for sale. ;) I must live on that street. Not living there is not an option. :lol:

But to stay OT, when I look at my old laptop, I think of the early days of the TLK fandom. My laptop was all TLK-ified. Stickers and such. :lol:

Kiara
April 8th, 2006, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Krypto
What's the title of the movie? :confused:

Dunno, I still haven't check it out xX I totally forgot this thread xD