PDA

View Full Version : The Lion King SE soundtrack

Roku
February 7th, 2006, 06:29 PM
I was thinking about buying The Lion King Special Edition Soundtrack, but I have the old original soundtrack. I live far from the towns, and I am going tomorow and am considering investing in this CD. Is there a difference between these two, other than "Morning Report"? Have the tracks been enhanced or anything like that? Is it worth my time or just money I could spent on something more useful, like spoons? Thanks!

Oh yes, I also noticed on the site http://pridelands.ru/?p=music-hans , TLK complete score sounds off key. Has anyone else noticed this? Is it because it is in mono sound or something? I read somewhere that the tracks were different than the ones in the movie, but I am unsure.

(I love it here! I can ask questions about TLK and not be considered...weird! :cheese: )

Krypto
February 7th, 2006, 06:38 PM
I had this same question when I was considering buying the 'Special Edition! I bought the 'Special Edition and I love it! I initially thought that "The Morning Report" was a bit short, so I felt a bit cheated. It took a few times through the tune to get into the rhythm of it (and it does have a great rhythm!), but once I did, I realized that I wouldn't want the Lion King soundtrack without it! And the Elton John remix, the final song of the album, is an absolute must have! It includes a lot of African stuff and some wilderness stuff. It's pretty well my favorite version of the song! If you're like me, and chances are that you are (come on, look at us! :lol:), you'll get this edition and be thankful that you overcame the questions that you're having right now!

nathalie
February 7th, 2006, 07:21 PM
As far as I know, nothing different then the cover and the "Morning report" on it.

Krypto
February 7th, 2006, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by nathalie
As far as I know, nothing different then the cover and the "Morning report" on it.

:Ooo: Somebody doesn't read the other posts on the thread before making one... :lol: Just kidding! Those aren't the only things that are different! It's also got the Elton John remix, which I mentioned in my previous post, as well as a completely reworked, full color booklet. Like I say: a must have! :D

Simbaspirit
February 8th, 2006, 12:41 AM
i <3 THE REMIX!!!

Krypto
February 8th, 2006, 02:22 AM
Isnt' it great, Simbaspirit? :D

I also just remembered this: On the Morning Report, we get to hear Mufasa's voice. I can't believe that I didn't feel that not having Mufasa's voice on the original version left a void. But the void has now been filled! For me, this is just another reason why this version is a must have. But the Lion King soundtracks have been a big deal for me for quite awhile,:confused: so wanting the ultimate version isn't a surprise! :lol:

nathalie
February 8th, 2006, 09:38 AM
Oh no, please forgive :eek: haha

So yeah, apart from those 2 songs, nothing much different.

Now, if you get the European English CD, you get "the heyna's" and "circle of life" by the Disney channel All stars.
(like every other CD from outside the US has those 2 songs I believe)

Krypto
February 8th, 2006, 03:58 PM
Really? :-)I didn't know that. Can you get those imports in stores, or is it an online thing?

Sombolia
February 8th, 2006, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Krypto
Really? :-)I didn't know that. Can you get those imports in stores, or is it an online thing?

Don't bother. I've heard the Circle of Life one, and it's horrifying.

Krypto
February 8th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Sombolia
Don't bother. I've heard the Circle of Life one, and it's horrifying.

:lol:

I kept myself from voicing my question as to whether or not one would like to hear the Disney Channel All Star version of those two songs. :lol: But Raven did "Grazing in the Grass" and I really like it! :D

But if it's also got one I haven't heard on it, Hyena, then, well, I just have to have it. :lol:

Simbaspirit
February 8th, 2006, 04:47 PM
:cringe:Have you seen the ad for the CoL song when the "stars" sing it? Hilary's like "oh, yeah, its my all time favorite movie. sure Hilary:bleen:

nathalie
February 8th, 2006, 04:52 PM
*lol* Yeah, the CoL song isn't all that, but "Hyena's" is cool to have though !

Really weird, that it's on every other language soundtrack, apart from the US version :confused:

Simbaspirit
February 8th, 2006, 04:59 PM
and Canada, though i think we use the US soundtrack:p

Krypto
February 8th, 2006, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Simbaspirit
:cringe:Have you seen the ad for the CoL song when the "stars" sing it? Hilary's like "oh, yeah, its my all time favorite movie. sure Hilary:bleen:

So, Hilary can't even like the lion King now? Haters! :lol: Just kidding.

Seriously, I think the Lion King is for everyone-even people without souls. :lol: Just kidding! :lol:

But seriously, seriously, I do like the lyrics for some of her songs! :D

imported_Rafiki
February 19th, 2006, 12:14 AM
...uhm... has anyone else noticed that the booklet in the SE CD contains the Broadway lyrics of Morning Report ("It's an honor and a privilege" introduction) instead of the "Good Morning, Sire!" "Good morning, Zazu!".... introduction? :uhno: Weird!

Daniel
February 19th, 2006, 12:26 AM
Oh no, please forgive :eek: haha

So yeah, apart from those 2 songs, nothing much different.

Now, if you get the European English CD, you get "the heyna's" and "circle of life" by the Disney channel All stars.
(like every other CD from outside the US has those 2 songs I believe)

and you called yourself the soundtrack freak? *sigh* nathalie, you're letting yourself down :p

Krypto
February 19th, 2006, 05:43 AM
Originally posted by Rafiki
...uhm... has anyone else noticed that the booklet in the SE CD contains the Broadway lyrics of Morning Report ("It's an honor and a privilege" introduction) instead of the "Good Morning, Sire!" "Good morning, Zazu!".... introduction? :uhno: Weird!

No way! I haven't noticed that! I suppose that I looked through the booklet and then moved on to listening to the thing, never looking back. :lol: I'm going to have to check that out!

nathalie
February 19th, 2006, 10:17 AM
*checks booklet now* I got 2 US CD's, and the booklets are totally the same.

1. SE soundtrack + RotPL CD (it's a double CD pack which I bought here)
-- nope: it starts with "goodmorning sire".

2. SE soundtrack with Hakuna Matata 3-D cover (Thanks Sharifu :p )
-- nope, also starts with "goodmorning sire, checking in with the morning report ... fire away".

Also nice to know:
The Latin-Spanish SE CD has got lyrics in the booklet.
(apart from the "morning report")

@ Dan: we all have a weak moment sometimes ... haha

imported_Rafiki
February 19th, 2006, 12:35 PM
*checks booklet now* I got 2 US CD's, and the booklets are totally the same.

1. SE soundtrack + RotPL CD (it's a double CD pack which I bought here)
-- nope: it starts with "goodmorning sire".

2. SE soundtrack with Hakuna Matata 3-D cover (Thanks Sharifu :p )
-- nope, also starts with "goodmorning sire, checking in with the morning report ... fire away".

Also nice to know:
The Latin-Spanish SE CD has got lyrics in the booklet.
(apart from the "morning report")

@ Dan: we all have a weak moment sometimes ... haha

Really? :confused: That's definetely weird!
Maybe the one I got is from the UK... And it also contains the lyrics of the other songs. I didn't know that there were only the Morning Report lyrics in the US booklets.

nathalie
February 19th, 2006, 12:40 PM
What does your logo looks like?

Does it have the animals around it? (they are standing next the "the")
If they are, then you should have the UK version.

If they are not, then it's the US version.
The US booklet also has got pictures and stuff from the movie in it.

imported_Rafiki
February 19th, 2006, 12:59 PM
Ah! Yes, I have the animals around it! So that's the UK version! Thanks! What stuff from the movie does the US booklet have?

nathalie
February 19th, 2006, 01:00 PM
Tiny screenshots.

I'll take some pics ...

*edit*

http://images.fotopic.net/y4xso2.jpg

http://images.fotopic.net/y4xso3.jpg

http://images.fotopic.net/y4xsof.jpg

http://images.fotopic.net/y4xso5.jpg

imported_Rafiki
February 19th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Cool! :cool: Thanks! Looks way better that the European one!

nathalie
February 19th, 2006, 01:14 PM
No problem =)

The Latin-Spanish booklet, has just got plain red pages.

imported_Rafiki
February 19th, 2006, 01:50 PM
Just like the UK one! The only picture in it is on the first page. It's one of adult Simba.

Krypto
February 19th, 2006, 11:40 PM
Yes, Nathalie, that's the one which I own. :cheese:

nathalie
February 19th, 2006, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by Rafiki
Just like the UK one! The only picture in it is on the first page. It's one of adult Simba.

Oow, that reminds me, I still need that version :eek:

haha :lol:

But 19,99 ? is a lot of money for that CD :s

King Mufasa
February 20th, 2006, 10:30 AM
I still have to get me a copy of this, havne't seen it in stores so i guess ill be buying it online.

W-Eyed-Wanderer
February 26th, 2006, 04:00 AM
These songs by the Disney Channel All Stars...are they meant to be on the European version? I have the UK edition and don't have those songs...(thankfully!)

Oh and just to to add to the confusion my booklet has the Broadway lyrics of The Morning Report.
:Psst:

Maybe there are just different versions of these CDs according to when as well as where they were pressed; little things most people wouldn't notice....but if you throw it into the ring of the TLK fanatics...
:lol:

nathalie
February 26th, 2006, 10:43 AM
I don't know about that UK CD.

I still don't have that one :eek: haha

But it is on the Dutch version, and on some others I have aswell.

Black_raven
February 26th, 2006, 11:36 AM
I'm from the UK, can't find any TLK soundtracks, I only have the broadway one and certain songs on the computer, really want to find that special edition one! I did see a SP soundtrack in woolworths but the only song i truley like is We Are One which can be found everywere on the internet anyway o_0

W-Eyed-Wanderer
February 26th, 2006, 05:12 PM
Check sites like Amazon.co.uk, they always have stock.

Usually just a case of keep looking and you'll eventually find it. Places like HMV or Virgin Megastores usually have a copy too if you have any of them near you. I got mine from HMV...

Incidentally, on a slightly different note, has anyone here got the CD of the London cast recording of the Broadway show? I found it for ?2 so I picked it up. It really is terrible compared to the proper Broadway CD though so only worth buying for the sake of completing your TLK collection.

:fini:

Daniel
February 26th, 2006, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by W-Eyed-Wanderer
Incidentally, on a slightly different note, has anyone here got the CD of the London cast recording of the Broadway show? I found it for ?2 so I picked it up. It really is terrible compared to the proper Broadway CD though so only worth buying for the sake of completing your TLK collection.

ooooh, the british cast? could you rip that and send it to me please :D

nathalie
February 26th, 2006, 07:52 PM
There's a CD from the Brittish cast ??

Black_raven
February 26th, 2006, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by W-Eyed-Wanderer
Check sites like Amazon.co.uk, they always have stock.

Usually just a case of keep looking and you'll eventually find it. Places like HMV or Virgin Megastores usually have a copy too if you have any of them near you. I got mine from HMV...

:fini:

thanks
I'm from the UK and have TLKob cd which I bought whilst I was at the actural broadway
, so is that the british one? I can't believe that it is if it's so bad :/

EDIT: seems to say Original Broadway Cast Recording at the top of the CD but it did come directly from London and I don't see any differences at all from when I acturally went to see TLKob (twice) :confused:

Yeah Next time I am going to Cambridge I'm going to go on a hunt for TLK cds, there's loads of good music shops and a HUGE virgin megastore there

imported_Rafiki
February 27th, 2006, 10:18 PM
Mmmh... I'm not quite sure, but I guess there's no CD from the London cast! They're just selling the Broadway one!

EDIT: There are CDs from the London Stage Orchestra. But that's not from the musical ensemble!

W-Eyed-Wanderer
February 27th, 2006, 11:00 PM
The one I have is 'The London Theatre Orchestra and Cast Present Highlights from The Lion King'. It was released through 'Hallmark Music' in 2002.

Really not sure what the story of this CD is, whether it's the actual performers or just impersonators. Personally I find it hard to believe it's the real cast as if they're that bad on stage people wouldn't be raving about the show, no matter what the spectacle.

But, that said, why would the show's producers allow such a poorly handled version of their show to be put on to CD? Not to mention Disney...

:hmm:

nathalie
February 27th, 2006, 11:02 PM
Doesn't it say on the CD or booklet who sings the songs?

W-Eyed-Wanderer
February 27th, 2006, 11:34 PM
Unfortunately not, it's pretty sparse on info of any sort...

Lists the songs and their respective writers but no details of performers. I'd always thought that by law you had to includer performer details on a large scale CD release of this sort but apparently not. Back to the music licencing law books for me...

I've done a few searches for any further details on this CD but can't find anything...it is part of a large series of London 'cast' recordings from Hallmark so I don't know if they just use the same singers and musicians for all those CDs or if they actually use members of the original cast.
:confused:

Black_raven
February 28th, 2006, 06:00 PM
ah ok thanks for clearing that up
:hakuna:
sounds weird ...:hmm:

Daniel
February 28th, 2006, 06:05 PM
could be a bootleg, and they could have recorded it at the theatre.

people do it with films

W-Eyed-Wanderer
February 28th, 2006, 10:00 PM
It's an offical thing, they have a website at www.pickwickgroup.com

I'm sure there is someone out there that knows the story of this CD....please come forward, you know who you are!

:evilgrin: